Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 vs 4 in Play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 5 2006, 04:51 AM)
Please point out to me this: where, on page 348, is the maximums for edges/flaws listed?  Or the BP and rating caps on attributes?  Or the racial mods?  Or the skill restrictions?  All these are things that are very important to the first mechanical stage of character creation.

I didn't realize that you were that lost. I thought you just misremembered the BP costs. Not that you forgot that basic limitation. Although it certainly helps explain your lack of understanding of the strengths of SR4 characters. frown.gif

So why again couldn't you use one of the spreadsheets or programs at work? Or work on the character on your home computer?

That might be true for the BBB archetypes, but not when comparing characters stat-by-stat.

No, I was going by actual characters built not the sample characters. The most extreme example is one I posted here, with 21 or 22 starting skills and another one picked up about two sessions into play. He wasn't really built optimal though. He is more of a concept character to see how playable a mundane with no implants was in SR4. He's been a lot of fun, I'm in the middle of editing the story of his latest adventure.

An early on character I built while I was still in an SR3 frame of mind only had 10 skills, but after that the lowest skill count is in the mid-teens. Compared to very, very few characters with more than 7 Skills in SR3. I find I'm going in the opposite direction too. In SR3 I started out with more Skills and then found just how brutal it was on the character, although still somewhat playable, and slowly reduced Skill count as my play evolved. On the flipside I find I'm increasing the skill count in SR4 as my play and understanding of the system evolves.

It isn't just the character generation though that is driving this. Skill rating 1 is something that is useful in SR4, in SR3 Skill 1 was playing Russian Roulette.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cain)
At any event, there is absolutely no reason *not* to buy a specialization; for low skills, you pay less to strenghten your abilities; and in high skills, you get that extra bonus. 

Well, not until immediately after chargen, when you can get one for dirt cheap. Unless you're playing an otaku technomancer-rigger looking for that 4th initiative pass, you're always better off spending on specializations straight out of chargen. Yet another of those strange disconnects between chargen and advancement.

To be honest when it comes to specializations SR3's system was actually better; under that system you could actually justify getting specializations at chargen, but only if you never planned on raising the "base" skill. Now there's no reason at all to justify getting one at chargen.

Brahm: as I read it, your rebuttal to my post is essentially trying to argue "security through obscurity." Your argument seems to be that fewer people people will work at optimizing their characters just because the process is not as easy as it was in SR3. For rebuttal, I offer this:
Ignorance is not bliss. Security through obscurity doesn’t work. It only means that the bad guys know things that you don’t and will exploit your ignorance to the fullest every opportunity they get.

Yes, the context of that article is about cryptography and computer network security, but the argument is still valid.
Eyeless Blond
Besides, most of the work has already been done.
Xenith
SR3 certainly has it charms. The feel is nice and had some interesting attempts at combat realism (by far better than d20 system IMO). As with all systems, it had its holes, but I rarely had any problem with them. SR4 is also interesting. I like the attempt at simplification, I like much of the new setting, and I like how they altered the initiative and reaction set up. I'm uncomforatable with the hard caps for skills. Attributes I have no prob with, but skills bother me. I also don't like the ambigious rules involving bonuses and rating mods. Easy enough to house rule, so no big deal at all. With house rules, I'll love SR4 just as much as SR3. rotate.gif wobble.gif spin.gif
emo samurai
How do you think upping the cap on skills will work? Will the cost be normal for them?
Eyeless Blond
Cost would be double "base" cost, and really that's all you need. I'm not sure why the Aptitude quality (EDIT: or the hard cap, for that matter) even exists. You've already got to pay double to raise a skill past 6; shouldn't that be enough?
bladepoet
Working in Infosec myself, I have to say that I prefer the Matrix Rules in SR4.

I feel they have added a touch of realism to it. I think it needs to be remembered that in 1989 when Shadowrun first came out, the wired world was very different from now, the wireless barely even existing.

It ties in alot of themes and influences, from a more gibson'esque feel to the matrix (johnny mneumonic the movie comes to mind in regards to AR), as well extrapolating the electronic scene from now, as opposed to 1989.

The rules for matrix actions have become alot less complicated and cluttered, and magic/matrix/rigging rules all seem to follow a comon system, which helps alot I find.

Attribute tests and actions have also been simplified.

I agree that it is not built to be ultrarealistic, but for me it's all about the storytelling, as such i welcome the changes

regards

Bladepoet
Cain
I didn't realize that you were that lost. I thought you just misremembered the BP costs. Not that you forgot that basic limitation. Although it certainly helps explain your lack of understanding of the strengths of SR4 characters.

You discover the limitations by building characters. It takes me many hours to build a character, hours which I don't have. You discover the strengths through playtesting, and that's where hyperspecialization really shows its true colors.

The strengths of a detailed build-point system is generally customizability. GURPS, for example, offers a lot of choices allowing for a wild array of characters. SR4 can't even compete with GURPS basic on that level! That means one of the purported strengths isn't really there.

The biggest flaw with a detailed build point system is generally calculation time. It'd be unfair to compare a GURPS program to SR4 pen-and-paper, so I can't do the reverse. In general, it takes me less time to create a 400+ point GURPS character, using multiple books, than it does for me to create a SR4 character. Sometimes the differences are small (two hours versus about two-and-a-half) and sometimes they're astronomical (two hours versus four days).

An early on character I built while I was still in an SR3 frame of mind only had 10 skills, but after that the lowest skill count is in the mid-teens. Compared to very, very few characters with more than 7 Skills in SR3. I find I'm going in the opposite direction too. In SR3 I started out with more Skills and then found just how brutal it was on the character, although still somewhat playable, and slowly reduced Skill count as my play evolved. On the flipside I find I'm increasing the skill count in SR4 as my play and understanding of the system evolves.

I'm going in reverse, and so are the character's I've been seeing. There's been a greater trend to push the one skill/stat combo further and further, while leaving the rest at middle levels. What's more, when we were in the SR3 mindset, we tended to avoid specializations, since they were a double-edged sword, forcing a reduction in your overall skill. Now, specializations carry no penalty at all, meaning you can load up on them without worry.
Azralon
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 6 2006, 01:00 PM)
It takes me many hours to build a character, hours which I don't have.

With all due respect, Cain, it sounds like SR4 isn't the game for you. You seem to be much more satisfied with the other systems you've mentioned along the way, and would probably be happier playing those.
Brahm
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 5 2006, 08:42 PM)
Brahm: as I read it, your rebuttal to my post is essentially trying to argue "security through obscurity." Your argument seems to be that fewer people people will work at optimizing their characters just because the process is not as easy as it was in SR3.

Then you read it wrong.

It isn't that there isn't an optimum or that everything is ok because it is obscured, it is that the band of the near optimum is wider and the peak isn't as high. Partially because the difference between least and most optimum BP versus karma costs of Skills is really at most a factor of 2, and in practice ends up being a lot less than that. That is down from SR3 which are like the Technomancers complex forms.

Ironically that that page seems to have listed the numbers for this. Though I haven't gone through and verified all their assertions and I think they might have missed a point or two, but they generally are on the mark. So I'm not sure why you haven't grasped this? Notice also that they don't actually address every choice that goes into a character, and they are only giving general advice and are usually tempering the numbers with counter reasons why to look past the highest/lowest number on a table.

The broader band of near optimum allows for a wider variety of Skills, and thus more options for near optimum characters. It also means that the optimum is more sensitive to situational specifics. This brings even more variety to the group of optimum and near optimum characters.

Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Expectations of Utopia

Yes there are optimums for a given game world style, character type, and playing style. You think you can avoid that in a system? Sorry, short of having no options that just isn't going to happen. Even if you switched to a karma character creation it would exist, they would just come out at a different point.
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 6 2006, 12:00 PM)
I didn't realize that you were that lost. I thought you just misremembered the BP costs. Not that you forgot that basic limitation. Although it certainly helps explain your lack of understanding of the strengths of SR4 characters.

You discover the limitations by building characters. It takes me many hours to build a character, hours which I don't have. You discover the strengths through playtesting, and that's where hyperspecialization really shows its true colors.

It is also where it shows how it weakens the character that tries to push to hard to the maximums during creation.

So how many skills are your characters taking? Post a couple for examples.

I'm going in reverse, and so are the character's I've been seeing. There's been a greater trend to push the one skill/stat combo further and further, while leaving the rest at middle levels. What's more, when we were in the SR3 mindset, we tended to avoid specializations, since they were a double-edged sword, forcing a reduction in your overall skill. Now, specializations carry no penalty at all, meaning you can load up on them without worry.

During play Specialization are likely too cheap, they would have been better at 3 karma. Also Specialization of anything in a Skill Group has that inherent cost that you can nolonger use the cheaper advancement rates.

In SR3 I forget now how advancement worked with Specialization. I remember it striking me as rather wonky, and somewhat more costly. Although the fact it didn't actually cost anything extra at character generation time did lead to it being actually used, as opposed to SR4 where the post creation cost is the same karma as BP. You just had to make sure it wasn't something you intended to advance as a whole Skill and would eventually be OK defaulting from the Specialization back to the general Skill

But outside of that as soon as you try to push the envelop to the maximum during SR4 character creation you really hurt the character.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Cain)
The biggest flaw with a detailed build point system is generally calculation time. It'd be unfair to compare a GURPS program to SR4 pen-and-paper, so I can't do the reverse. In general, it takes me less time to create a 400+ point GURPS character, using multiple books, than it does for me to create a SR4 character. Sometimes the differences are small (two hours versus about two-and-a-half) and sometimes they're astronomical (two hours versus four days).

Cain if it really takes you between 2 hours and 4 days to make a SR4 character with full access to the SR4 book then there is a disconnect between the SR4 writers and your brain. Considering that most characters ignore about 30% of the book (mages tend to ignore riggers & cyber, technomancers ignore magic and usually cyber, gunbunnies ignore magic and hacking, etc, etc.) and at least 20% of the book is background and combat mechanics then the page count for any character is way, way smaller than GURPS.

Either a) you have Gurps memorized and feel you need the same level of familiarity with SR4 so you look every little detail up every time, b) your brain begins to short circuit when you read SR4, or c) you are totally and absolutely over-optimizing the SR4 characters.

if a) then you're just going to have to spend more time with SR4 'til you are comfortable.

b) sorry, have a buddy come up with an SR4 crib sheet and maybe that'll help.

c) Relax, breathe, and force yourself to write down the general specs of the new character and what the priorities are. Make the most important sections first (i.e. skillbunny, cyber-tank, ubermensch athlete) and accept the fact that the character is not going to be perfect because it has room to grow.
Waltermandias
As fun as discussing the pros and cons of the new character creation system is, I think this thread has drifted away from what the poster was originally looking for.

This question goes out to grizzled veterans of both SR3 and SR4. We haven’t played Shadowrun for about 18 months. We are about to start SR4.

My basic question is: How does it play by comparison?

Compared to your SR3 experiences, how are the SR4 rules during actual game play?

Do you find them very different? Better? Smoother? Slower? Faster? Etc.

So here are my impressions as one who played a bit of 2nd edition and a metric crap ton of 3rd.

Overall I really like it. I feel that this new edition has made the game a lot smoother and basically allows us to fit more fun into a session of gaming since things can be resolved faster, thus allowing us to get to the next bit of the story. By way of example let me tell you about our most recent session.

We were supposed to break into an old listening post in the Aleutian Islands that was being used by smugglers. We were supposed to get in, steal some samples of the drugs and BTLs they were smuggling and destroy the rest. We screwed the pooch going in and ended up getting into a room-to-room gun battle against the smugglers. What followed was an incredibly long, drawn out fight wherein we had to clear the defenders room by room, all while preventing them from flanking around us and while our hacker kept them trying to wrest control of their own security from them. Battered and bleeding (not to mention shot) we finally took enough of them out that we convinced the rest that surrender was a viable alternative. Over the course of the battle we used melee and ranged combat, the hacking rules concurrently with the combat, grenades, explosives vs. barriers, and more.

The amazing thing was that the battle never felt slow, the rounds went by quickly, and we didn't have to consult the book too often (although we did need the scatter charts and such.) The fight was quick, effecient, and most of all, fun.

Now this was after we have been playing awhile, so we all know the rules pretty well at this point, but I feel that it ran faster then SR3 ever did, and I approve whole-heartedly. Mind you, the system has it's flaws. Quite a few really. I agree that the layout is counter-intuitive, and some of the systems are confusing and/or lacking important bits (ahem... rigging) but most of these problems will likely be resolved in upcoming supplements (provided, of course, that these are ever made.)
runefire32
I'll jump in here about character creation.

Sr3's system was rather straight forward and simple. Though thats not to say when I was a new player to it, that by pencil and paper it did not take several hours or even a day to create a character. By pencil and paper it still takes me a hour or two to do a sr3 character, but then again i'm picky and am usualy have a concept i'm trying to build towards and am trying to get it to work. But the system did not allow for a wide variety of characters at all. Infact I felt it very restrictive in what it allowed you to do as a player. Then they came out with the point buy system and while it allowed for more customization and a few other things, as a GM, I was not fond of the characters my players were making with it and went back to the priority system.

SR4's system is less straight forward , but thats more due to the layout of the book, than it has to do with point costs. This is not to say that 4 points per skill point is straight forward, but it is to say that the main hinderance of CG is the layout. When the book first came out and I made my first character it took me, and my friends about 2-3 hours to create our first characters (this does not include the legaly blind gentleman I play with who had to take a lot longer time due to his very slow reading speed and the problems with the original PDF I loaned him so he could more easily read it). While there was math involved and people were new to the system the thing that hindered us the most was flipping back and forth. Best method I've found to do it by paper is to simply have a scrap sheet of paper and go section by section and write down what you're doing, the bps and then the total for that section and move on to the next one.

All in all SR4 to me gives you more options in chargen than sr3 ever did. Virtualy every sr3 character I've seen is essentialy the same thing. with about the same skills, the main difference being in how the cyberware is laid out. Now with sr4 asside from the rediculously specialized and prety damn good in a singular area but completely sucktacular builds here on dumpshock I've yet to run across, two of what essentialy is the same sheet. I've created a dozen or so characters for myself in the past month working on builds, and while they're similar (generaly based off the same concept or two) their layout, and how they actualy worked mechanicaly changed prety drasticaly from sheet to sheet.

Its all in the build points. Cain decided to compare it to GURPS for a second (later on saying you can't fairly do it)

The strengths of a detailed build-point system is generally customizability. GURPS, for example, offers a lot of choices allowing for a wild array of characters. SR4 can't even compete with GURPS basic on that level! That means one of the purported strengths isn't really there.

Its purported strength -IS- there. Not to the level of GURPS...but then again there really isn't a system out there that competes with GURPS in sheer customizability. And as Cain goes on to say later you can't compare the two fairly.

The thing is while it doesn't appear to be stupendously customizable, you have to realize, even as little as 16 bp's of change in chargen can drasticaly change the way your character interacts with the world and works in the system in general.

Oh and as for not believeing chargen stories of time lengths...10-15 mins for a WoD character...gah...I can pull that off but its the most generic characters I can come up with, has really no life to him or quirks. Even fast creation takes me a half hour. And thats kinda stretching it...usualy takes me about 1-2 hours to flesh something out there because i'm always trying to phenagle something here or there to get the concept to work right (and quite possibly much longer if its Exalted as i can agonize over charm choices forever...)
Shrike30
Making the jump from SR3 to SR4 really didn't make any difference in chargen times for me... we always used the point-build system from the SRComp anyway. Now it's just what everyone uses.

The part of chargen that always takes a long time for me is buying gear and fiddling around with cyberware/spells/programs/whatever. Actually laying down a character and his stats/skills is noticeably less than half an hour.
shadowfire
so sr4 is not using edges and flaws anymore?
Eyeless Blond
Sure they do, and they're in the main book now. They're called Positive and Negative Qualities.
hobgoblin
and some of them are allready being abused to get that extra bit of performance out the theoretical glass cannons...
Azralon
Pshaw. Basic modern game design theory: The more options you give players, the more simultaneously entertaining and vulnerable your game can become.

Oh, and yes, you can actually get a degree in video game design nowadays. How nerdly awesome is that?
Neskeptic
Just a quick shout out to Waltermandias for noticing the thread drift. I don't mind a character gen thread, but thats what I thought I started! smile.gif
mfb
i don't have any particular quarrel with SR4's chargen system, but i would just like to note that it's okay if the chargen section is hard to use because you can just have a program do it for you is a really, really silly argument. for chrissake, it's called pen-and-paper gaming for a reason.
wind_in_the_stones
How does it play? We've only been playing for a month or so, but it seems to move along smoother, and combat goes quicker. It doesn't have the same... attention to detail as the old versions, but I like that. Maybe you won't.

Making characters is tough, because you're limited. You can't just grab all fives and sixes in attributes, and dump the rest in a few high skills. You have to spend a lot of time balancing out your points. As someone said, it's fiddly. But I think it makes for better characters. The important thing is not to let yourself get bugged by having seemingly low skill ratings - remember you get to roll skill plus attribute now.
Cain
With all due respect, Cain, it sounds like SR4 isn't the game for you. You seem to be much more satisfied with the other systems you've mentioned along the way, and would probably be happier playing those.

I've been playing Shadowrun since it first came out. My Big Blue Book is autographed. Up 'til now, Shadowrun has always been the game that satisfied me the most.

Just because SR4 doesn't compare favorably against other games is no reason to dump seventeen years of role playing.
It is also where it shows how it weakens the character that tries to push to hard to the maximums during creation.

The characters *aren't* weakened, though. They keep about the same level of overall functionality, and add a super-specialized area. In other words, one-trick ponies aren't as weak anymore.
Either a) you have Gurps memorized and feel you need the same level of familiarity with SR4 so you look every little detail up every time, b) your brain begins to short circuit when you read SR4, or c) you are totally and absolutely over-optimizing the SR4 characters.

A) No human being could possibly have all of GURPS memorized.
B) Not my brain; but my fingers get tired from all the back-and-forth.
C) I thought the whole point of all the limits was to prevent that sort of thing from happening? Even though it doesn't work. Additionally, a hyper-optimized character in any of several systems I play doesn't take nearly as long.
The thing is while it doesn't appear to be stupendously customizable, you have to realize, even as little as 16 bp's of change in chargen can drasticaly change the way your character interacts with the world and works in the system in general.

Yeah, which adds to the problem. If you change one little thing, your entire character concept can unravel on you, forcing you to go back and rework almost everything. I could live with that if there was more customizability, but I don't think we're even getting that.
How does it play? We've only been playing for a month or so, but it seems to move along smoother, and combat goes quicker.

I haven't noticed any improvement. I won't say that it's *worse*, since it isn't; but I don't think it's noticeably faster or smoother. To be fair, though, I've been playing a lot of Savage Worlds recently, which makes everything else look like a slug with arthritis. I might just be having a different perspective.
runefire32
Yeah, which adds to the problem. If you change one little thing, your entire character concept can unravel on you, forcing you to go back and rework almost everything. I could live with that if there was more customizability, but I don't think we're even getting that.

So being able to really tweak how your character works fundementaly in the game is not a good level of customizability? Interesting.

I've never had to go most of the way back and rework my character in SR4. I've had to several times in SR3 when i realize i need a few more nuyen or that extra stat point to do what i need to do. In SR4 i look at where i've spent my points, remember i write everything out and make nice little tallies for each section and skill and such makes life so much easier in this regard, decide where i might be able to skimp on something, or change it slightly to work just a tad differently.

In all honesty I find it easier to rework a concept and such in this system than it ever was in sr3. With just 16 buildpoints i can really change how my character works. I don't see that as a problem, atleast when you're somewhat intelligent on how you go about building a character...ie writing everything out so its easy to see and look back at when you realize you're a few points short. I haven't had any problems with the chargen system other than the book being a little wonky in layout.

As far as gameplay goes, so far its been a little bit quicker, but it promises to pick up using that wonderful 9 page char sheet from the comunity forums. God damn that thing's beautiful. Saves us math durring the game and gives you alot more information at your fingertips that you don't have to go flipping through.
TinkerGnome
There are some nice things about SR4's character generation and there are some nice things about SR3's character generation. I don't think anyone can argue that SR4's system is anywhere near as simple as SR3's priority system. Also, BeCKS was far better than anything I've seen built for SR4 (yet). However, the priority system in SR3, with its non-linear point allocations and the like was quite tricky. Not only that, it was inconsistant with the priority system to the point that it definitely paid to build your character both ways (if you had the option) and pick the one that came out better.

SR4 has the benefit of linearity (1 bp is always worth 5k nuyen.gif) and independancy (you don't have to rework your skills if you change an attribute). It has the downside of extra math.

Earlier, the generation program thing was brought up and mfb rightly pointed out that you can't rely on something like that for character generation. I agree, to an extent. The biggest benefit from generator programs is that it lets you quickly get a feel for how points should be distributed on most characters. Once you've got a good feel for it, you can make characters with just pencil and paper in a respectable amount of time. You'd get the same experience from slogging through a dozen characters with pen and paper, as well.

I guess one of the primary problems is that in SR3, a couple of dice was very important. The difference between getting 4 dice for a test and 6 was pretty big. In SR4, die pools tend to be bigger in general and individual dice are less important. The difference between 8 dice and 10 is not huge (it is an advantage, but it's not that big of one). If you build an SR4 character worrying about getting every die just right in every test, it willt ake forever, but fortunately, doing so is not necessary. "Close enough" seems to work pretty well in SR4.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Neskeptic)
My basic question is: How does it play by comparison?

Compared to your SR3 experiences, how are the SR4 rules during actual game play?

Do you find them very different? Better? Smoother? Slower? Faster? Etc.

IME it plays much faster for people who are new to SR or who have only a passing familiarity with the system. Yeah, I kinda miss the variable pools but I don't miss watching people agonize over when and where to spend their dice. The game runs smoother just from that regard.

Combat mechanics are pretty much the same concept as before so they aren't really different. I will say that hacking is much better and more useful in a firefight without being overpowered or disfunctional (yay). Riggers are a step sideways, moving away from the Tank Girl imagery and more towards the James Bond remote control spider; still very useful but not so much raw muscle (but a lot easier to integrate into the GMs plans, IMO). Magic is still magic; I think the book keeping has been simplified a bit for the mage since you no longer buy spells at Force.

Vehicle driving has been simplified (not that you can get harder than the obfuscation of the Maneuver Score) but there are still some hazy spots when it comes to speed.

I'd say that including the problems with the organization of the book, the game tends to run noticeably faster than any other edition of SR. I'm sure a SR4.1 BBB with an updated layout would definitely make picking up the nuances of the game easier but this is probably one of the easiest significant game system revisions I've ever gone through. Definitely up there with AD&D->d20.
Brahm
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Mar 7 2006, 10:10 AM)
Vehicle driving has been simplified (not that you can get harder than the obfuscation of the Maneuver Score) but there are still some hazy spots when it comes to speed.

The Vehicle rules while definately improved suffer heavily from the problem of rules scattered in different section and also lack a final polish to close up a few loose ends. Examples are what vehicles require you to add a rigger adaptation, whether the Control Rig is required or not, and what that Pilot column is suppose to represent in the Vehicle table or if it was included by mistake.
Azralon
QUOTE (Cain)

I've been playing Shadowrun since it first came out. My Big Blue Book is autographed. Up 'til now, Shadowrun has always been the game that satisfied me the most.

Just because SR4 doesn't compare favorably against other games is no reason to dump seventeen years of role playing.

There always comes a time to move on, with or without regrets.

You've just been coming through as a "SR4 hater" in precisely the wrong forum to vent such sentiments. Critiques are healthy (and necessary) until they become repeated overzealous flame wars; then they're a waste of time and effort no matter how well thought out they are.

So yeah, breaking up is hard to do. Especially when the breakup negotiations become self-fulfilling. That's all I'm sayin'.
Galmorez
Our group has been playing SR4 quite a bit. It is certainly no less fun that SR3 and plays a little quicker because there is less number crunching for every action.

The biggest difficulty we've run into is the lack of supplemental material that was available in SR3. Using the SR4 book alone, you're missing a lot of vehicles, equipment, NPC templates, etc etc. So, we've had to do a lot of on-the-fly conversion of vehicles, gear, and threats.

Suggestion:
It would be ideal if they could release a PDF or supplement that provides a system for converting vehicles and equipment from Rigger 3, and spells from other sources. A lot of the richness of the world is lost because the stack of books we have for SR3 and SR2 aren't functional now. indifferent.gif
hobgoblin
problem is that a pdf like that would undercut the need for books like unwired and similar...

allso, i dont think is so much a conversion as a rethink on many items. as in, the rules have been changed so greatly that you have to go back to the basic idea of whatever it its your bringing over, and just recreate the stats from scratch...
Cain
So being able to really tweak how your character works fundementaly in the game is not a good level of customizability? Interesting.

I've never had to go most of the way back and rework my character in SR4. I've had to several times in SR3 when i realize i need a few more nuyen or that extra stat point to do what i need to do. In SR4 i look at where i've spent my points, remember i write everything out and make nice little tallies for each section and skill and such makes life so much easier in this regard, decide where i might be able to skimp on something, or change it slightly to work just a tad differently.

The problem is, the flexibility just isn't there. You can have your character concept change dramatically, but you still can't manage to pull off a lot of things. There's just too many arbitrary limitations and caps in place. For example, you can't have a character with above-average stats across the board-- there just aren't enough points availiable to give you all stats at 4 or better.

In many cases, my SR4 character experiments have come unraveled midway through, forcing me to go back and rework everything. I do exactly what you suggest, but then one area gets to big, the other gets too small, and up and down goes the seesaw.

The Vehicle rules while definately improved suffer heavily from the problem of rules scattered in different section and also lack a final polish to close up a few loose ends. Examples are what vehicles require you to add a rigger adaptation, whether the Control Rig is required or not, and what that Pilot column is suppose to represent in the Vehicle table or if it was included by mistake.

I agree here. I can't imagine anything worse than the Maneuver Score, so the new vehicle rules are an astounding improvement. However, I can't figure out if the second section on vehicle combat is meant to apply in vehicle-vs-vehicle or vehicle-vs-pedestrian combat. And you *still* can't easily combine multiple vehicles and people at once. If you've got a drone rigger on each side during a firefight, you can't use the closing rules, since they operate on a totally different timescale.
Jhaiisiin
I've found in play that SR4 doesn't seem significantly different from SR3 in speed or ease. Character creation was difficult for me at first. I kept trying to give SR3 skill levels to SR4 skills, and kept running out of points. As soon as I started thinking of the creation system being more akin to the White Wolf system used for their D10 games (i.e. Stat+Skill for all rolls), instead of traditional Shadowrun system, I was able to make characters a lot easier.

The only thing the players of the group I'm with seem to really mourn is the loss of certain contested rolls, like melee combat. In particular, our former adept counterstrike prodigy misses it most. Hehe I'm not sure anyone ever successfully struck that character in melee combat... Of course, SMG's always seemed to toss him straight into emergency near-dead status...

Overall, I'm thinking SR4 is alright. I'm not sure I necessarily prefer it to SR3, but SR4 definitely isn't bad. I echo the sentiment of missing out on all the supplemental material. I know in SR3, there are characters that I still cannot recreate due to lack of SR4 materiel. Oh well. Time fixes everything!
Eyeless Blond
Hm. Rereading my posts I think I'm coming off as too much of a sourpuss. The reality is I like SR4, in particular the design philosophy of simplicity, streamlining, and unification of rulesets that it promotes. One of the best parts of D&D 3--one of the *only* good parts*--is how everything was unified under a core mechanic, allowing rules mastery in a way that few other systems at the time could match. SR4 is doing to Shadowrun what D&D 3 did for AD&D, and that's a teriffic thing.

What's bothering me is that, in some cases, they didn't go far enough. There's still that quirky disconnect between chargen and advancement that doesn't need to be there.

Instead of fixing the unique and powerfully expressive dice system of SR1-3 it was ditched entirely for a virtual clone of another game's dice system, with all the problems that such an inflexible, linear system presents (see one of the various cover modifiers threads for an example of the problems, which never existed in SR3. Another example is how it is nearly impossible for the average "professional" (Att 3, skill 3) mage to get past a regular camera (OR3) with invisability; OR was designed with tweaked characters rather than normal characters in mind, and it doesn't scale well like SR3's OR did.)

Instead of organizing the book to be an easy-to-use game reference book, to streamline the 95% of the time the book will be used for that purpose, it was organized using the formula from the SR3 core book. The SR3 BBB--and thus the SR4 core book--seem to be better organized around reading the entire book straight through, cover to cover, which most people will only do once, maybe twice. Thank God for the fairly complete index; I've been using those few back pages more than I've used the first half of the book.

So that's my problem with SR4. They did good, but IMO they could have done much better and they chose not to.
Cheops
I find the biggest change from 3 to 4 is that it requires a pretty significant shift in thought for both GMs and players. A lot of the strategies that worked in 3rd aren't optimal anymore. Overall, 4th seems to reward creativity and imagination a lot more than 3rd edition which, I think, is a good thing.

I've found that combat takes about the same amount of time as it did in 3rd. It may be cut down once we get more familiar with the mods and when the screen comes out but I find all the extra die rolling adds a lot of time. You also lose some of the tactical, gaming aspects of combat in 4th because of the disappearence of the die pool. It does however make sams a lot better than norms at fighting which is good setting-wise.

Character creation is a lot easier and actually lets you make significantly different characters than 3rd and can allow you to make a competent team straight out of the book.

General lack of proper organization, integration of the different voices of the authors, and sometimes under explained sections (they really should release Unwired before Street Magic) can make it a little hard to understand the new play style and setting but spending the time to figure it out gives you a better game overall than 3rd.
Azralon
QUOTE (Cheops)
they really should release Unwired before Street Magic

Hear, hear.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Cain)
The problem is, the flexibility just isn't there. You can have your character concept change dramatically, but you still can't manage to pull off a lot of things. There's just too many arbitrary limitations and caps in place. For example, you can't have a character with above-average stats across the board-- there just aren't enough points availiable to give you all stats at 4 or better.

That isn't a matter of flexibility; that's a matter of expectations. The assumption is that you are a fairly inexperienced individual, low on the concrete jungle totem pole but with enough cash and history to be competent, if not particularly expert. Think "college graduate with less than a year's experience."

If you don't like that the solution is simple: change the BP. If you want a more experienced game, give out 500BP. Someone on another thread is running a gang-related game and is planning to give out ~300BP.

I like the expectations of SR4 because it means the characters don't fall over their own feet but still have growth potential. So many SR2 & SR3 characters felt..... done. I like the idea that even the most twinked out SR4 character still has playable life. But I can understand how constricted that may feel to some people. I think it's the reason so many people dont' like playing 1st level D&D characters.

Waltermandias
If you don't like that the solution is simple: change the BP. If you want a more experienced game, give out 500BP. Someone on another thread is running a gang-related game and is planning to give out ~300BP.

That's an excellent point. The same thing happened when White Wolf switched over to the new World of Darkness system. Alot of people didn't like the fact that the character creation system, as written, produced characters with a lot fewer and/or less potent abilities.

I think what everyone needs to remember is that there is nothing at all wrong with giving more or less BP then the book suggests. Also, there is nothing wrong with ditching any of the caps that are disliked. If a group feels that the characters that they create are too limited, just give more points and/or ditch the caps. As long as your group and GM are cool with it, more power to you. The nice thing about the character creation system being different is that groups can house rule it to hell and back and won't really cause any weird hiccups in the rest of the rules.

And to weigh in on the "how long does it take to make a character" thing. For me it's a little quicker in SR4. I get through stats, skills, and qualities pretty quick, and equipment takes me forever. The only reason it goes a little faster than SR3 is that I don't have any other sourcebooks to dig through for cool toys. frown.gif
Cain
That isn't a matter of flexibility; that's a matter of expectations. The assumption is that you are a fairly inexperienced individual, low on the concrete jungle totem pole but with enough cash and history to be competent, if not particularly expert. Think "college graduate with less than a year's experience."

Well, it is and it isn't. There's still a lot of things you can do within that thought, but you still can't play any of a variety of balanced concepts that go against the grain. For example, it's very difficult to make a grizzled old veteran, who still has sharp skills, but whos natural physical abilities are sliding (high skills and low attributes). And it's impossible to play someone who relies on natural talent almost exclusively-- high stats and low skills. Both these concepts fit the power level and basic assumption you describe, but are difficult if not outright impossible to bring to fruition in SR4.

I like the expectations of SR4 because it means the characters don't fall over their own feet but still have growth potential. So many SR2 & SR3 characters felt..... done. I like the idea that even the most twinked out SR4 character still has playable life. But I can understand how constricted that may feel to some people. I think it's the reason so many people dont' like playing 1st level D&D characters.

I have to disagree here. It's entirely possible to max out a stat/skill combination right out of chargen, making it so you can never advance in that area ever again. The skill caps sharply limit how mugh growth potential a character can ever have. While I see what you mean about SR2&3, since they had an open-ended system, you could never max out-- you just hit a point of diminishing returns.

So, you have your "new to the concrete jungle" shadowrunner, who's already the world's best shot with a pistol. And despite a wonderful character history that drives him to forever hone his skills to new heights, he is barred from doing so.

Since someone asked, let me pull out the four-day character I made. I did what has been suggested-- developed a strong concept, made quick tallies by each section, and then balanced it out from there. However, things that happened later on made me go back and redo earlier parts. For example, I initially tried allocating a fixed amount of resource points for gear, but I kept going over, so I'd have to pull points from elsewhere; I'd remove a few items, but then I was way under. Eventually, I just made a wish list of everything, totalled up the cost, and then divided it by 5000 to get the point allocation. Also, originally he was an adept, but then I discovered the errata which limited his Improved Skill power. Since you couldn't beat the cap that way, I ended up reworking the character almost from scratch as a street sam.

Anyway, here we go:

Mr. Lucky
Race: Human

B: 4
Q:5(7)
R:4(6)
S:3(5)
C:3
I:4
L:2
W:3

Essence: 0.75
Edge: 8 eek.gif
Init: 8(10), 3 passes.

Edges:
Lucky
Aptitude: Pistols
High Pain Tolerance 1

Flaws:
SINner
Incompetence: Pilot Anthroform
Incompetence: Pilot Aerospace
Incompetence: Aeronautic Mechanic
Incompetence: Industrial mechanic
Incompetence: Nautical mechanic
Incompetence: Software

Skills:
Pistols 7 (Semi auto), total 18 dice.
Gymnastics 3 (dodging) total 6 dice.
Infiltration 2 (Urban) total 5 dice.
Con 2 (Fast talk) total 4 dice
Unarmed Combat 2 (Martial arts) total 5 dice.

Knowledge: 18 free.

Contacts:
Fixer 2/2
Street Doc: 1/3

Gear: 38 pts.
Cyber/Bio:
Wired 2
Muscle Replacement 2
Enhanced articulation
Reflex recorder (firearms group)

Gear highlights:
2 commlinks, one for public use, one skinlinked to operate gear.
Contact lenses with vision mods & smartlink.
Glasses with Vision Enhancement 3 & ultrasound.
Armor jacket with chemical protection and Insulation 6.
Lots of Ares Predators with lots of EX-EX ammo.
Smartlinked AVS's.
Smartlinked Roomsweepers.

High lifestyle, 2 mo prepaid.
Starting nuyen: 4d6+12 x 500.

As you can see, he's not a one-trick pony-- he's got two very noticeable tricks, and a few extra besides. His skills cover all the bases, with reasonable steath and social abilities; he still needs to partner himself with a good infiltrator, decker, and face, but that's why shadowrunners work in teams. His contacts cover the bases for a street sam: a fixer is necessary, and a street doc is always helpful. Since you need a street doc for his skills more than his connections, you can afford to push that rating down quite a bit.

His Incompetence flaws are the really disgusting part, though. Not only is it highly unlikely that he'll ever find himself in a situation where he'd need to use any of those skills, none of them allow you to default anyways.

But the really fun part is this: take a look at the BBB street samurai archetype. You'll notice that these two concepts are almost identical in function. So, despite all the purported flexibility in the system, the build ended up being almost the same in general.
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 8 2006, 06:35 PM)
His Incompetence flaws are the really disgusting part, though.  Not only is it highly unlikely that he'll ever find himself in a situation where he'd need to use any of those skills, none of them allow you to default anyways.

Disgusting? If a player handed me this character sheet I'd be inclined to use the Large Dildo Solution. rotfl.gif No way a GM should accept that crap. SR4 removed most of the old Flaw exploints, but Incompetance is probably the single worst open ended one left.

Post Script Another thing I noticed just glancing over it, even a street-level fixer is Connection 3. So you want to keep and not spend any extra you should probably change him from 2/2 to a 1/3.
Shrike30
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
I think it's the reason so many people dont' like playing 1st level D&D characters.

Nah... they don't like those because they die if you sneeze on them, or if they trip over a small root in the forest. Running D&D, I'd almost inevitably start people at 3rd level, just to get them over the nastiness of trying to survive with all of 5 hit points in a game where some of the more basic weapons can do more than that in one hit.

Cain, the character you've got is an absolute god with handguns, and can muddle his way through pretty much anything else for a while. My main fear would be getting into any real mental-type situations that he'd be defaulting on, as any penalties would rapidly have him be making Long Shots. Perception is the one that would worry me the most in an "imminent death" kind of way. Ettiquette might be another. Most smart GMs would nix the Incompetencies you've chosen, although they are legal by RAW, as being inappropriate for the campaign (unless, of course, you're playing Air Force Specops or something).

As for constantly pushing himself to become even better at his task... he's reached the pinnacle of human capability. He's reached the point where the diminishing returns on constant training have gotten so small, that training is only going to keep him performing at the level he's at.

Or if you wanted to "code in" that drive, you could always figure out a few places to lose some dice, and round the character out a bit more.

There's a point at which progressing any further in a particular skill takes the game out of balance. I don't have a firm number to hand out as to where that point is, but 18 dice being thrown (or 26, rerolling 6's, with Edge) is certainly pushing it real hard. I don't have a problem with where the caps are on performance, because of how far beyond most everyone else's ability to compete or resist those caps usually are.
Cain
Cain, the character you've got is an absolute god with handguns, and can muddle his way through pretty much anything else for a while. My main fear would be getting into any real mental-type situations that he'd be defaulting on, as any penalties would rapidly have him be making Long Shots. Perception is the one that would worry me the most in an "imminent death" kind of way. Ettiquette might be another.

That's where Trick #2 comes into play. With an Edge of 8, he will do amazingly well on any longshot test, and can afford to do it more often than anyone else. What's more, since your dice pool can't be pushed below zero, he can load up on the modifiers and still have 8 dice to pull it off with. For extended ettiquette and mental-type situations, he would need to rely on a teammate, but that makes him no different than any other similar character (look at the street sam in the BBB to see what I mean).

As far as perception goes, that's why he bought the glasses with Vision Enhancement 3. That gives him 6 dice, even with the defaulting penalty. Like a proper min/maxer, I've minimized his weaknesses-- not totally removed them, since that's seldom entirely possible, but I've reduced the immediate risks reasonably well.

And as for the incompetences, under ordinary circumstances, a good GM could make sure that I'd be heavily penalized for them-- putting the team in situations where those skills are needed. However, since you can't default on any of them, the actual game effect is minimal. I could choose different ones, more appropriate to the campaign, but even then they wouldn't mean much. For example, what happens if I had chosen Electronic Warfare, Pilot Aircraft, Medicine, Cybertechnology, and Automotive Mechanic instead? Not much, even though those skills are very pertinent to a normal shadowrunning game.

So, what happens is this: the system still allows for a lot of disgusting abuses, and doesn't penalize you nearly as heavily for it, since it was relatively easy to cover his weak spots. The caps aren't preventing abuses, or penalizing hyperspecialization, but they *are* preventing many different character concepts.
Disgusting? If a player handed me this character sheet I'd be inclined to use the Large Dildo Solution.  rotfl.gif

Actually, I'd save it for someone who handed me a bunch of Incompetences in Magical and Resonance skills. Those are legal to take Incompetences in, by the RAW, but I thought that was too abusive for words.
Deadjester
I see you took alot of Incompetence Flaws.

I think the idea of taking alot of Incompetence Flaws in areas that more then likely you will never experience sort defeats the flavor of the game.

I could see one or two at best in areas that you deal with on occasion but basicly how do you know if your incompetant if you never have a chance to do it? I am pretty sure I am incompetant at flying the Space Shuttle but since I will more then likely never have the chance, does it really matter and should you get a bonus for it?

For the most part SR4 is a pretty good system, with some tweeking it works even better. But hey all games NEED tweeking, just how much tweeking makes it good or bad. (We changed the combat formula and it seemed to open it right up)

The idea of a cap on skills and such is not a bad idea, there is a point in RL that we just can't get past without being more then what we are. Most never reach that cap but its there.

I think the issue may be more in the effect of where that cap is. If you were to make the cap at ten and leaving the starting point for chargen as is, it would leave plenty of room for growth, skill and story wise. Also it would leave much room for possible villians to be much higher then the chars and give them somthing more to strive for.

And as it was said once, BPs can effect the game alot, less or more points leaves the game very open to play style from willy the weasle who sits on the corner begging for money to bond char.

Besides the skill system with which I am much more happier with, I also enjoy the inititive system much more.

It leaves joe avg struggling to hang with the beefed up runners and not just being so out classed that he is dead everytime without a shot being fired from him and him looking down at his body heading for the pearly gates wondering, what happend?

Avg joe can still be a sombody give the game much flavor and not just a guy in a red shirt for the gunners to test weapons out on.

So I am in favor of SR4 for the most part, what I don't like I change for the better and get on to playing.

I would think instead of bashing SR4 or SR3 as some do, it might be better to start a thread and post what would you do to change it for the better. Never know who is listening and what changes it may cause in the future develpment of the game.

Deadjester
mfb
QUOTE (Deadjester)
The idea of a cap on skills and such is not a bad idea, there is a point in RL that we just can't get past without being more then what we are. Most never reach that cap but its there.

what? prove it.
Deadjester
I can't prove it but if you talk dirty to me and send me some beer and I will make some BS up.
Shrike30
The current world record for the 100 meter dash is, IIRC, 9.77 seconds. In 1936 (70 years ago) it was 10.2 seconds. One could argue that the differences in technology, understanding of biology and nutrition, and training techniques that didn't exist 70 years ago have made runners more than what they were back then.

It took 70 years of advancement to produce a 4.4% increase in speed over that sprint. I don't think the assertion that there are maximums to how far a human can be pushed is particularly out there.

(EDIT: and no, I didn't realize I was making a pun using runners as an example until after I posted.)
mfb
i think there's enough BS flying around with regards to SR4. hard caps, especially as implemented, are much less realistic than a well-made diminishing returns system. in such a system, just as in real life, there comes a point where the cost of advancing simply surpasses all benefit. that point varies from person to person, but everybody hits it. if someone tries to abuse the system, it's easy enough to implement training times ("raising your unaugmented Str from 10 to 11? yeah, that'll take a straight year of strength training.")
Cain
The current world record for the 100 meter dash is, IIRC, 9.77 seconds. In 1936 (70 years ago) it was 10.2 seconds. One could argue that the differences in technology, understanding of biology and nutrition, and training techniques that didn't exist 70 years ago have made runners more than what they were back then.

It took 70 years of advancement to produce a 4.4% increase in speed over that sprint. I don't think the assertion that there are maximums to how far a human can be pushed is particularly out there.

Mmm-hmm. You ever heard of the "Four Minute Mile"?

Not all that long ago, it was thought that it was impossible for a human to run a mile in less than four minutes. However, Roger Bannister proved them all wrong. What's more, since then thousands of people have run a mile in under four minutes, showing that the human maximums *can* indeed be pushed further and further.

I'll bet that if you graph the world records over the timeframe you mention, you'll see that there was probably a lot of improvement at first, gradually slowing down over time. That indicates a "diminishing returns" curve, instead of a hard limit.
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 8 2006, 07:19 PM)
And as for the incompetences, under ordinary circumstances, a good GM could make sure that I'd be heavily penalized for them-- putting the team in situations where those skills are needed. However, since you can't default on any of them, the actual game effect is minimal. I could choose different ones, more appropriate to the campaign, but even then they wouldn't mean much. For example, what happens if I had chosen Electronic Warfare, Pilot Aircraft, Medicine, Cybertechnology, and Automotive Mechanic instead? Not much, even though those skills are very pertinent to a normal shadowrunning game.

Which is why anyone that brought me a character sheet with 5 Incompetence Flaws is risking the wrath of a LDS. If was handed a non-Awakened character with Incompetence in magical skills I'd hand out the large dildos to everyone else at the table so they could join in the fun. smile.gif

Mind you if you took just Incompetency:FirstAid you likely would end up wishing I would have turned it down.

On Perception, you definately are going to need Ear Buds as well. But still you are far, far better off to cut a point from your Edge, drop 4 points into Perception, and still have 9 BP left over for somewhere else. Those extra 5 dice are going to save you at least a point of Edge, and make you very difficult to surprise. Shame on the GM that forgets about the other senses, like scent. wink.gif

Same goes the majority of those Specializations. Waste of BP. Survival, Navigation are quite useful Skills unless you'll damn sure you won't find yourself alone and doing something like crawling through the sewers in a wireless dead zone, or in anything less urban than a C Zone for an extended period of time. Even if you are with others having those Skills allows you to contribute to a Team Test which is really important for Survival tests.

Armor jacket with chemical protection and Insulation 6.

This might actually be an encumberance issue, depending on GM interpretation. I assume the Insulation 6 is trying to keep your heat signature down? You'll propbably also want a second coat for warm sunny days, that'll get kind of hot runnning around in it.

So, what happens is this: the system still allows for a lot of disgusting abuses, and doesn't penalize you nearly as heavily for it, since it was relatively easy to cover his weak spots.

If you are refering to this character, then you are sadly mistaken. frown.gif If you are going to rely on Edge keep in mind two things. Edge tends to run out, and that if you don't have a Skill you are not nessasarily allowed a roll at all, and that is for all Skills.

This character is mostly wallpaper. He does a couple of things, and you do exploit a couple of silly things like Specializing in hand-to-hand. Until there are rules to provide meaning to that Specialization that just an extra 2 dice. Also Ex-Ex along with the rest of the ammunition modifiers are poorly thought out.

If this PC was in a game that was very heavy on shooting as the solution to lifes problems and didn't really go anywhere, or if he was the 7th man in a team that would do pretty much as well without him then he'd do fine. I certainly wouldn't find him particularly unbalancing, and rather putting effort into challenging him I would more likely end up pulling punches to protect him. If it was a smaller team what I would be unhappy is how he would contribute to narrowing the range of things I'd throw at the team.

Maybe you are expecting the system to wack you over the head and tell you that this is a lame character? His shortcomings aren't that hard to see.
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 9 2006, 01:22 AM)
I'll bet that if you graph the world records over the timeframe you mention, you'll see that there was probably a lot of improvement at first, gradually slowing down over time.  That indicates a "diminishing returns" curve, instead of a hard limit.

Let me suggest the following in an attempt to clarify something that keeps coming up with regards to this issue: the change in the SR4 Att and Skill system (including the new caps) requires a significant mental shift - one from an open-ended frame of reference (SR3) to a relative and closed frame of reference. Whereas in SR3 you were told that a Skill of 6 meant you were world-class it was still possible to get a skill rating up to a 10 or 12 given enough focus. SR4 changes the frame of reference to one with an absolute, it assume all unaugmented human results are all relative and all fall at somepoint within its range of 1 to 7 (with 7 being the pinnacle of unaugmented human achievement) or 1 to 9 with specialization.

Since the scale is closed the real world equivalent would be to divide up an individual's ability within one of those 1-7.

Since the frame of reference is closed it doesn't really matter whether a runner beats the four minute mile and shaves another two seconds off the world record, because he's still one of the 14,29% of athletes (or 11,11% four-minute mile specialists) that can do it (ie. the frame of reference is closed) - in practical terms it just means that developers decided that diminishing returns for having achieved the top percentile of athletes capable of that peak performance doesn't justify an extra die (maybe because the very next day he might not be able to achieve the same result). Additionally if an accomplishment is so outstanding that it "breaks the scale" (say someone running the "3 minute mile") then the scale is simply adjusted (after all it is both closed and relative).

Whether this scale/frame of reference (and the dice pool it equates to) translates to "realistic" results or not is another issue, but once you accept the closed scale then caps make a lot more sense.
JongWK
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Deadjester)

what? prove it.

Once upon a time, I read an article about some scientists that calculated the absolute maximums for human athletes. Among other things, they put the 100 mts. record at somewhere between 8 and 9 seconds. Anything faster than that they deemed impossible for a human.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012