Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 vs 4 in Play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Brahm
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2006, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 08:35 PM)
EDIT I would like to see having lots of different types of protection represented somehow though. But I don't really see how to do that by RAW without basically crippling the upgrades or limiting it to only one type of upgrade on a piece of armor. frown.gif  So to do that in a gaming friendly manner would require house rules.

In that case, I'd suggest dumping your previous ruling and going with something like: total armor mods cannot exceed that item's impact armor rating.

so an armored jacket (6 impact) could have 2 non-conductivity, 2 thermal dampening, and 2 insulation, or some other, interesting combination of mods.

Probably not a bad idea at all. But I was keeping it RAW in this thread because Cain tends to squeal like a stuck pig even on RAW rulings, much less house rules. wink.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
eh...maybe if we harp on it enough, it'll get put into the errata wink.gif
Cain
Probably not a bad idea at all. But I was keeping it RAW in this thread because I tend to cry like a baby even on RAW rulings, much less house rulings.

Ah, another insult instead of arguments. At least you've realized the futility of your position. But as Rotbart correctly pointed out, the armor bonus doesn't even factor in until the character's already been hit. So, you'd be using a house rule to attack a perfectly legal character, and only because you don't like the fact that the character has been optimized.

At any event, house rulings are fine and dandy, but it's unfair to spring them on players. If someone brings in a character that was written according to the letter of the rules, the fair thing to do is to say: "Hey, we don't do things that way in my game, but you can take this chance now to fix things." You then suggest to Mr. Lucky's player that he modify his armor as follows, instead of crowing over how you are going to bend over his character for daring to think about an effective character choice. And instead of using it to cover an astounding lack of self-esteem, you acknowledge that your player's viewpoint is valid in the RAW, it's just that you want to run things differently.

It's only the worst sort of GM's who wait in ambush, drooling over the chance to screw a character they can't otherwise challenge. Open communication with your players will vastly improve your GMing style.
Brahm
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
eh...maybe if we harp on it enough, it'll get put into the errata wink.gif

We could hope, but given history I'd expect if anything it'll show up in an entry in an FAQ.
Waltermandias
I don't even know who I should be rooting for anymore! I do think this is a great example what was brought up earlier concerning hard caps vs. open ended human potential. If this thread proves anything it is that there is no limit to how high one can get their Incessant Arguing Over Rules Minutiae skill.

This thread went from a discussion of the relative pros and cons of SR3 vs. SR4 (in terms of playability) to an argument over the flaws in the new creation system, to an argument about caps on skills and abilities to (and I'm still unclear how this happened) and argument about how armor encumbrance works.

Even sadder is the fact that I have read every post in this monster! What is wrong with me? It's like watching a train wreck.

I will admit a silver lining though. The more I hear people talk about the super characters they can make, and the lengths GMs have to go to in order to reign in the excesses of their players, the more I thank my lucky stars that my group doesn't ever have these problems. I am obviously very, very, lucky to have such a group! biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Just throw bigger, cooler things at them.
kigmatzomat
Wrong tact. Throwing bigger 1-dimensional opponents justifies the player making even shallower characters next time around. Depth means taking different directions.

Instead have a few sessions that rationally emphasize the other end of the job spectrum. You can screw with virtually all one-trick ponies by sending them into various settings where they are supposed to provide support for information gathering (aka ganger club, a high class cocktail party or, best of all, a subgroup the character belongs to).

Got prodigy with pistols? Either go into a close environment where they are almost guaranteed to go into melee combat or send 'em into the desert where they need range. Bruce Lee? Use a proteus or other metabeast that players shouldn't touch. Whiz decker? Recover data from a pre-Crash 1.0 facility. Relies on luck? Make the job last for several days so Edge used on all the piddly tests don't recover.

My most long-lived SR character (went from Sr1->SR3) was not the "bestest" combat samurai; there were others who were better in their particular kind of mayhem. My samurai was the "go anywhere" guy. Tons of non-combat skills at 2-4 dice with the ability to throw 10-15 dice when breaking stuff and gear designed to let me survive the first encounter with those 15-18 dice foes who usually can't take it as well as they dish it out.

Yeah, I would have used my Automatics skill more often than, say, my pilot(Rotorcraft) but the two times I flew helicopters had a radical impact on the way things would have otherwise turned out. (Once flying out of a rain forest after the NPC pilot got gacked by a grenade thrown by a PC and the other when a Plot Device killed the pilot of our chopper over Bug City.)
Brahm
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Mar 14 2006, 05:05 PM)
Even sadder is the fact that I have read every post in this monster!  What is wrong with me?  It's like watching a train wreck.

You are into snuff films? wink.gif

I will admit a silver lining though.  The more I hear people talk about the super characters they can make, and the lengths GMs have to go to in order to reign in the excesses of their players, the more I thank my lucky stars that my group doesn't ever have these problems.  I am obviously very, very, lucky to have such a group!   biggrin.gif

Of the tables of regular players I have played at I'm likely the second most capable powergamer, at least in the top 3. Pay no attention to those many contenders not far behind, but who are definately behind, that would rate me lower! biggrin.gif Since I tend to use my powers for Good and not Evil, and the guy I judge as number one is a mostly selfnulifying Loonie, I can't say I see this problem a lot myself. I tend to play with people that are child-like as opposed to childish, so there is a heathy dose of good sense and fun floating around to keep things in check. These are people that largely have a common understanding of the type of game being played. Communication is usually pretty good. The #1 Loonie usually floats ideas ahead of time, if for nothing other than the shock value of how twisted and screwed up a situation can be created by particular rule, especially with a particular interpretation of the wording. So that gives the GM fair warning so he can prepare and analyse the situation if it wasn't already noticed.

Certainly none of them are like Cain complaining about being railroaded by the GM implementing a reasonable RAW that does not interfer with the game at large, and in fact tends to lead to a less perverted game world. Not that I haven't met people like that, it is just I don't play with them because it isn't fun to and there generally are lots of players out there that aren't like that to find and hook up with.

The Armor upgrades issue hasn't come up that I've seen so far in neither games I have GMed nor played. However, inspite of what Cain seems to think, this wasn't something I just made up because of Mr. Lucky. I noticed it months ago, and considered the different ways to read the RAW and the one that gave the most sensible, pausible rule to match reality. If it did come up in a character before it was mentioned I wouldn't wait until the game was in play before mentioning it. Instead giving the player fair warning and outlining options, and letting other people know as well. I certainly wouldn't make their character have to deal with selling the armor and buying a replacement IC, and the cash loss that implies.
Brahm
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Mar 14 2006, 05:53 PM)
Relies on luck?  Make the job last for several days so Edge used on all the piddly tests don't recover.

Several days? Try one good boat chase, 5 of 6 points gone buh-bye. smile.gif

EDIT Of course I don't consider screwing with overspecialized characters the primary reason for having a broader game, that is just icing on the cake. wink.gif The primary goal is to have an interesting game. If your game is feeling stale because each runs seems nearly indistiguishable from the the last however many you can remember, and you don't like that, then that's a good place to check. If you and the other players at the table do like the runs being very similar to each other, then by all means keep playing. Otherwise look around and see why you are not branching out. Is it because most if not all the characters are hyper specialized and comfortable there? Then shake it up and challenged them!
mfb
QUOTE (Brahm)
No, it doesn't explicitly say that you include non-conductivity in the calculations. Nor does it explicitly say not to. But it is close enough in spirit [EDIT]and letter[/EDIT], and certainly helps curb some of the silliness.

what, do you not understand what the word "either" means? because that's what it says: if either of the character's armor ratings is higher than twice his Body, he takes penalties. does "either" refers to more than two options, in your version of english? maybe this'll clear it up: in the previous paragraph, it says that when wearing layers of armor, only the highest value for either Ballistic or Impact applies. why in the name of god would they be talking about just B and I values in one paragraph, but then switch over and start talking about all values in the next (while still using the word "either"!)

QUOTE (Brahm)
Is 'armor modification rating' text you made up, because I can't find that phrase in the PDF.

QUOTE (SR4 page 317)
Worn armor can be upgraded with a range of modifications. Each of these is available in a rating between 1 and 6.

i'm not sure what else you'd call a rating that describes the value of an armor modification.

QUOTE (Synner)
I don't see a problem. SR3 didn't allow anything above Rating 6 in the BBB either, SR4 just didn't have the space for it anyway.

i might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but the SR3 BBB explicitly does allow for gear and programs higher than rating 6. the Fairlight has a rating 12 MPCP, and the program size table goes up to rating 14.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 14 2006, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm)
Is 'armor modification rating' text you made up, because I can't find that phrase in the PDF.

QUOTE (SR4 page 317)
Worn armor can be upgraded with a range of modifications. Each of these is available in a rating between 1 and 6.

i'm not sure what else you'd call a rating that describes the value of an armor modification.

Please read further through the thread and you will find some applicable quotes regarding the armor upgrades, and how they add to the armor value. nyahnyah.gif

EDIT Or maybe you did and you didn't grok? Why would they not talk about the upgrades explicitly in encumberance an page 149? Because that is extra stuff about the armor value from elsewhere. SR4 cut out a lot of bulk, so it tends to have less redundant text referencing other somewhat related rules. It does make it tougher to notice/decode/determine specifics about interactions at times, and it does make things less explicit and more indeterminant. But that is the trade-off for getting rid of the extra wordage.

So you broke down and bought the SR4 BBB, or do you have a research peon (James?) feeding you text from their copy? smile.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2006, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 08:35 PM)
EDIT I would like to see having lots of different types of protection represented somehow though. But I don't really see how to do that by RAW without basically crippling the upgrades or limiting it to only one type of upgrade on a piece of armor. frown.gif  So to do that in a gaming friendly manner would require house rules.

In that case, I'd suggest dumping your previous ruling and going with something like: total armor mods cannot exceed that item's impact armor rating.

so an armored jacket (6 impact) could have 2 non-conductivity, 2 thermal dampening, and 2 insulation, or some other, interesting combination of mods.

Probably not a bad idea at all. But I was keeping it RAW in this thread because Cain tends to squeal like a stuck pig even on RAW rulings, much less house rulings. wink.gif

One thing I'll add, I think a better idea is to just use the total of the ratings of all the different upgrades as one value to compare to the Bodyx2 for encumberance seperate from the Impact and Ballistic rating. The Chemical Seal, having no rating, will use a value of 6 when calculating this. That allows you to have armored clothing, that has no impact value, with upgrade protection. It might look a bit bulkier, but I like allowing that.

Or at least allow upgrades up to the greater of Ballistic or Impact, which I like a bit less.
nick012000
On the topic of FastJack: Has it ever been stated that he's a mundane? Noone's ever seen his meat, so it's entirely possible that he's a Hacker Way adept, with skills of 6(9) (and one at 7(10)). I know it's been stated that there are adepts who don't know they're adepts, which might explain why he never mentioned it. It would also explain why he gets the Immortal Elf "He does anything he wants to [in the Matrix]" treatment.
Dissonance
I think part of the reason why FastJack can basically do anything he wants to in the Matrix because he's been hacking, apparently, since Echo Mirage. Although...

I'm kind of loath to admit it, but I could see him getting down to Advanced Prime Runner skills in this day and age. I figure that having to unlearn everything from before the 2.0 crash has to hurt.
mfb
QUOTE (Brahm)
Please read further through the thread and you will find some applicable quotes regarding the armor upgrades, and how they add to the armor value.

re-read. they add to armor value against attacks of the specified type, and only against those attacks. your reading, if you weren't reading selectively, would make it so that armor encumbrance is modified according to what attacks, if any, the character is being subjected to--because that is the only time the character's armor value is (base + modification).
SL James
QUOTE (Dissonance)
I think part of the reason why FastJack can basically do anything he wants to in the Matrix because he's been hacking, apparently, since Echo Mirage. Although...

And the Internet before that.

I'm kind of loath to admit it, but I could see him getting down to Advanced Prime Runner skills in this day and age.  I figure that having to unlearn everything from before the 2.0 crash has to hurt.

So did everyone else.
Cain
Certainly none of them are like Cain complaining about being railroaded by the GM implementing a reasonable RAW that does not interfer with the game at large, and in fact tends to lead to a less perverted game world.

When you actually do such a thing, I'll be glad to congratulate you. However, in the meanwhile, it's clear that you're using a twisted version of the rules-- that doesn't even exist in the RAW-- and can be better dealt with through open communication, an exchange of ideas, and fair play.

For example, there's no such thing as a "less perverted" game world. There's only worlds as adjusted to individual playing styles. What you might consider to be perverted powergaming might just be business-as-usual for another group; as long as they're having fun, you've got nothing to brag about. And just because I'd find your emphasis on rollplay over roleplay to be boring, bland, and unimaginative; your habit of making up rules to suit your fancy to be the worst sort of GM favoritism and lack of control, and your repeated bragging about bringing out the Large GM Dildo on players who dare try something you don't like, that doesn't mean that you're not having fun with it in your own limited way. You're free to continue with it, if you like; we're not going to hold a gun to your head. Most inexperienced and novice GM's start off that way; eventually they tend to come around. Some might take longer than others, but it usually happens.

The Armor upgrades issue hasn't come up that I've seen so far in neither games I have GMed nor played.

Hasn't come up? Perhaps because it's not a real issue? biggrin.gif

Look, you can give it up now. You tried and failed to find major weaknesses in Mr. Lucky's primary stats. You're now focusing on minor details to try and show how the whole character is flawed. You're making logical error after logical error in the process, and trying to cover up your fallacies by throwing insults instead of better arguments. Just back off, and admit you're wrong-- no one on Dumpshock can think any less of you for it.

Of course I don't consider screwing with overspecialized characters the primary reason for having a broader game, that is just icing on the cake.

In other words, screwing with overspecialized characters gives you personal enjoyment as a GM. Yup, we see a picture of absolute GM fairness and creativity now...
On the topic of FastJack: Has it ever been stated that he's a mundane?

Enough of the shadowtalk across the books suggests that he's mundane. Certainly, his exceptional skills predate the Awakening. He's also definitely not an otaku, since he was the one who helped them reveal themselves to Shadowland (in the Denver boxed set).

I think part of the reason why FastJack can basically do anything he wants to in the Matrix because he's been hacking, apparently, since Echo Mirage.

Yeah, that's the whole point. There's no way that a starting character should even remotely be able to match a decker with that kind of experience. However, you can easily start the game with an identical Hacking skill; and if you're a technomancer, you can even use Threading and Sprites to give yourself more dice that Fastjack could have without GM handwaving.
nick012000
Well, when the Awakening hit, lots of people suddenly got magic powers. Fastjack would have been 12 at the time (and if he was a hacker back then, he probably wasn't much more than just another script kiddie), so if he is an adept (knowingly or otherwise), he would have awakened then or a little bit later (magic usually surfaces at puberty). And lots of adepts don't know they're adepts. So, I suppose it comes down to what sort of implications of his mundane-ness we're talking about.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 14 2006, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm)
Please read further through the thread and you will find some applicable quotes regarding the armor upgrades, and how they add to the armor value.

re-read. they add to armor value against attacks of the specified type, and only against those attacks. your reading, if you weren't reading selectively, would make it so that armor encumbrance is modified according to what attacks, if any, the character is being subjected to--because that is the only time the character's armor value is (base + modification).

QUOTE (Brahm)

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

QUOTE (Brahm)

Taken very literally Mr. Luck would be more appropriately named Mr. Immobile, which is why I refered to my interpretation as the kind one. 

..for the exact moment he is taking electrical damage, if taking the rules literal, indeed.

Just, as one dodges before takeing damage, that doesn't mean a thing. grinbig.gif

Ya, the non-conductive armor protection isn't physically there until you get tasered. You wacky funster. rotfl.gif
Waltermandias
I think the best way to avoid having starting characters be as good as Fastjack is to not make starting characters that are as good as Fastjack. I actually don't have any problem with a system that allows me to make a character that is within spitting distance of the best, because I do not have to make him that good if I don't want to. If you want to make a "street level" hacker, just give him more threes in the relevant attributes and skills. He's pretty good (a professional if you will) but he still has alot of room to grow. If you want to make an amazing hacker that can almost match the best of the best, blast those skills and attributes up to teh maxxorz.

I can't really fault a system that let's me make either type of character, if a group thinks it's bad to make really powerful starting characters, it is the group's responsibility not to make them. As it is right now, you can make more street level or badass characters as you like. Where's the problem?
Cain
The problem isn't that SR4 allows you to deliberately weaken a character. The problem is that it allows you to create legendary-level characters, without major weaknesses, and expects that they'll be balanced right alongside the "rounded" ones. Suddenly, there's no point in playing anything but a minmaxed monster, since you won't have any significant minimums to worry about.

The system caps are supposed to be in place to prevent this sort of thing, but they clearly aren't working. They *are*, however, preventing a wide array of legitimate, balanced character concepts. In the meanwhile, we have all the disadvantages of a complex build-point system: long chargen times, extreme fiddliness, encouraging min/maxing; and we lose the big benefit: flexibility.
Waltermandias
Suddenly, there's no point in playing anything but a minmaxed monster, since you won't have any significant minimums to worry about.

But there is a point to playing non minmaxed characters. And the point is that you think that these types of characters are bad. I agree, playing uber-badass, super twinked out characters is not my idea of a good time. I prefer to make a character that is pretty good at his thing, and can develop from there. However, I don't think it is the desingers job to keep you from making the super-amazing, ninja monster with no weaknesses. Frankly, if that is the kind of game you like, then that's what you should play! Pass out Panther Cannons at Stuffer Shack if that is the game that let's you and your friends have a good time.

That being said, I do agree that some of the caps in character creation are silly. If someone wants to have sixes in 8 skills or 350 BPs worth of attributes I am not going to stop them. I suppose some sort of thing like that is necessary to allow tournament play and such, but my group just merrily ignores them and we make whatever kinds of characters that we all agree are reasonable for the campaign we are playing in. (Currently a fairly gritty "street" campaign, although we have started to graduate into "real" shadowrunners.)
mfb
Brahm, i can't help if your misreading of the rules leads to insanity.

QUOTE (Waltermandias)
However, I don't think it is the desingers job to keep you from making the super-amazing, ninja monster with no weaknesses.

on the contrary, it very much is their job, if they're marketing their game as being gritty and more street-level.
Azralon
The customizability and complexity of a game system is directly proportional to its potential entertainment value and its potential vulnerability to exploitation.
mfb
yeah, but you don't even have to exploit SR4. you just follow the basic creation rules, no special tricks or haxx0rz.
Azralon
Right; and it's up to your GM and gaming group to determine what qualifies as a "useful synergy" or an "exploit." It's up to that same group to declare at what point a character is "minmaxed" or "well-built."

The smirkable thing to me is that some folks on these forums are of the opinion that SR4 starting characters are too weak, while others have the opinion that SR4 starting characters are too strong. Obviously the two are mutually exclusive, but that's okay because they're just opinions.

Reminds me of the George Carlin bit: "Everyone who drives slower than you is a moron, and everyone who drives faster is a maniac."
mfb
that, to me, slaves the game part of the game too much to the roleplaying part. i shouldn't have to limit my chargen simply because i don't want to be able to compete with high-end NPCs. high-end NPCs should be high-end enough that i don't have to worry about it. they should be something i aspire to, not something i start out able to compete with. and, as i said before, it seriously belies the dev's "more street level" thing. if the game is going to be more street level, i shouldn't have to houserule chargen to make it so.
Waltermandias
I guess my main point is that you don't need to houserule chargen to not get powerful characters. It is up to you whether you make a powerful or a weak character. Just because you CAN take 4s with a couple 5s in all your skills doesn't mean you SHOULD do so.
mfb
like i said, i don't think i should have to limit my chargen simply because i don't want to compete with high-end NPCs. this is a game--a roleplaying game, yes, but still a game. having to gimp a character created using the standard chargen rules because he's too powerful really, really, sucks. it's like benching your best hitter in a baseball game because the other team's outfielders are bumbling morons.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 15 2006, 04:15 PM)
like i said, i don't think i should have to limit my chargen simply because i don't want to compete with high-end NPCs. this is a game--a roleplaying game, yes, but still a game. having to gimp a character created using the standard chargen rules because he's too powerful really, really, sucks. it's like benching your best hitter in a baseball game because the other team's outfielders are bumbling morons.

Getting back to why this thread ended up on this topic, Fastjack is probably not the greatest example of that. Although that could have been made a lot clearer if the core book had been more explicit that a node's Rating is not limited to 6.

I do kind of wonder though why they didn't just say no chargen Skill over 4. Removing 5's and 6's entirely from the picture really helps clear away a big part of the perception of a problem, even the portions of it that are real.
Waltermandias
I see where you are coming from, but look at it this way. Some people want to make a character that is crazy cool and can compete with the big dogs right away at creation. This system lets you choose whether you want to make a total badass or a guy who is merely good as you like. As far as I can see this system lets more people make the type of character they want to play. It sounds to me that a system that would please you would prevent more people from making the characters that they want. In my opinion the best chargen systems let everyone make exactly the type of characters that they want to play, and if that requires some people to restrain or "gimp" themselves a bit, so be it.

Brahm
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Mar 15 2006, 04:26 PM)
Some people want to make a character that is crazy cool and can compete with the big dogs right away at creation.

But they don't really compete with the big dogs. Some specialized characters definately can get a bit lucky and put a serious nick in, or even wack a big dog (EDIT: Even non-specialized characters can get lucky, they just need a bit more luck or somewhat more favourable circumstances). Not unlike they could get wacked by a gutter punk that gets a bit lucky.

That is sort of the way of things, if you get into a bad situation bad things can happen to you. In 1981 the US President, surrounded by body guards, was seriously injured and his Press Secretary was given a back-alley labotomy. Was it some elite super-spy? No, it was a certifiable nutjob shmuck that failed to cause a fatality in no small part because he bought and was using a weapon that didn't make a big enough hole.

What happens when you treat NPCs as merely human? They become mortal.
hobgoblin
well people was asking for more grit after SR3, and nothing speaks grit like being mortal no matter what you do (face it, after some karma you where in theory untouchable in SR3)...
mfb
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
This system lets you choose whether you want to make a total badass or a guy who is merely good as you like.

except that being able to make a badass who can keep up with the big boys by default is hardly street-level. moreover, the idea that some random punk ganger is of equal point value with a guy who can keep up with those big boys is ridiculous.

SR4 isn't really any more or less lethal than SR3. like i said--i've seen a 5,000-karma character fight desperately for his life, in SR3.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)
except that being able to make a badass who can keep up with the big boys by default is hardly street-level.

I would agree, however I'm not aware of anything outlining that as the default.

If anything, the example characters would seem to illustrate the expected build performance levels.
mfb
no, i mean that, by default, it allows such characters to be created. as in, you don't have to houserule or use an optional rule to do it.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
SR4 isn't really any more or less lethal than SR3. like i said--i've seen a 5,000-karma character fight desperately for his life, in SR3.

What was he fighting to be desperate with a three digit karma pool?
mfb
a bunch of standard-issue awakened tentacle hentai plants. there were enough of them that he was pretty much constantly at a +4 friends in melee modifier, and they all had a reach of 1-3. on the plants' turn, there were so many die rolls that is was more expedient to write a script to handle them all--i may be one of the few gamers to ever actually see a character make twenty counterattacks in a single pass.
Geekkake
I'm sure this has been voiced before in this thread, but frankly, I'm not going to read through 12 pages of argument that we're not even supposed to be having, according to the bossman. But, before a loudmouth American, I feel the need to weight in.

The main complaint I see about SR4 seems to be character generation. What's funny, to me, about these complaints is that character generation, like nearly everything else in the game, is completely malleable to suit a particular group. You don't like 400 BP? Think it makes your character too weak, you wanna get right into high-stakes plots? That's totally fine. Talk to your GM. If your GM wants to give you 300, instead, you don't belong in that group.

Here's where, I think, the misconception comes in: If you don't belong in a particular gaming group, that doesn't speak badly of you or them. It just means you like to play a different game than they do. Which is fine. There's gaming groups all over, and even more in IRC.

I like a low-level chargen. I like to watch my character, and the PCs that I GM for, grow as professionals, and cohere as a group over time. I like to see them overcome nasty odds by using their brains, before they can rely on vast networks of contacts and high stats and big, bad guns and skill lists. But not everyone wants that. And that's cool.

For all my hemming and hawing about hating min-maxing, cursing super-specialists and tormenting street sams, I have nothing against that type of game, or that type of player. It's just not appropriate for my troupe. And I'd be happy to refer you to a group that you'd fit right into.
snowRaven
As for character creation in SR4 vs. SR3:

From my experiences it is easier to make someone who is practically the best in an area in SR4 (since that is impossible in SR3), but it is also easier to completely gimp your character and make them really bad.

In short - SR4 has a much greater span on the skill-level of the character you can make, for good and bad. You can make a better all-round character, and a better expert character, and a looser that is even more of a loser.

So, it all comes down to one question - is it necessarily a bad thing to be able to have tarting characters compete with the best in their one chosen field of expertise - at the sacrifice of being something of a one-trick pony?
Geekkake
QUOTE (snowRaven)
As for character creation in SR4 vs. SR3:

From my experiences it is easier to make someone who is practically the best in an area in SR4 (since that is impossible in SR3), but it is also easier to completely gimp your character and make them really bad.

In short - SR4 has a much greater span on the skill-level of the character you can make, for good and bad. You can make a better all-round character, and a better expert character, and a looser that is even more of a loser.

So, it all comes down to one question - is it necessarily a bad thing to be able to have tarting characters compete with the best in their one chosen field of expertise - at the sacrifice of being something of a one-trick pony?

I always thought this should've been included in earlier editions, anyway. Yeah, if you wanna be the best damned samurai there ever was, go for it. You're gonna get tragically and irrevocably pwned by something outside your expertise. Potentially, something a well-rounded character of the same archetype or focus would survive.

I'd find that delicious.
Brahm
QUOTE (snowRaven)

A single Skill, or sort of two isn't what I'd call a field in most cases. Sometimes the starting character is even further away if there are Positive Qualities involved that in total exceed 35BP. Semantics? Sort of, but calling a Skill a field does envoke extra baggage that I don't think is particularly appropriate. You are certainly aren't going to create the best of an archetype, and aren't going to create one with much of a chance of besting a best of an archetype character in the long run senario.
mfb
you don't have to be a one-trick pony to dominate your field and still have your bases covered in other fields.

Geekkake, while you have a point, the issue at hand is the default setting rules. yes, anybody can modify them for their own games, but modifications simply aren't what's being discussed.

i'd also like to say that chargen is not my biggest issue with SR4. my biggest issue with SR4 is, for lack of a better term, the lower resolution of the gameplay overall.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
except that being able to make a badass who can keep up with the big boys by default is hardly street-level. moreover, the idea that some random punk ganger is of equal point value with a guy who can keep up with those big boys is ridiculous.

it realy does depend, what did he spend his points on?

being street isnt equal to being dumb or undertrained. it could allso be that he have specialized in navigating the ins and out of street gangs and they way of life.

part face, part fixer, part brute, all street nyahnyah.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb)
you don't have to be a one-trick pony to dominate your field and still have your bases covered in other fields.

Dominate? A field?
mfb
yeah. 5, 6, or even 7 in your main skill and attribute, 3s and 4s in a few other areas, maybe a few 1s and 2s if you have spare points after buying some high-end gear and 'ware (if you're not Awakened). you'll rock out with your cock out in your main field, and won't have any major weaknesses in other areas.
eidolon
@ the idea that it took an entire new edition to reintroduce "grit" to the game: ohplease.gif silly.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 15 2006, 09:15 PM)
yeah. 5, 6, or even 7 in your main skill and attribute, 3s and 4s in a few other areas, maybe a few 1s and 2s if you have spare points after buying some high-end gear and 'ware (if you're not Awakened). you'll rock out with your cock out in your main field, and won't have any major weaknesses in other areas.

That is topping out in a single Skill, not a field, assuming that only one Attribute tops you out there. To do it you mostly blow your load right there, and if there are Positive Qualities beyond you are likely SOL because you used at least 30BP already.

Unless of course your GM is gulible enough to fall for rules lawyering like Incompetence:Exotic Melee Weapon(Large Dildo).

When you then go to build the actual 400BP character is where this myth really comes apart. Now a 500BP character, or even somewhat at 450BP, is a somewhat different matter. It is more the single Skill and Qualities limit coming into effect. But that's a different game.
mfb
since when do you need every single weapon skill to kick ass in a firefight? hell, Ghosts and Red Sams only have the Firearms group at 5, and they're supposed to be the biggest and baddest and scariest.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb)
since when do you need every single weapon skill to kick ass in a firefight? hell, Ghosts and Red Sams only have the Firearms group at 5, and they're supposed to be the biggest and baddest and scariest.

Dead people aren't so scary.

One dimensional runners aren't particularly scary to GMs either unless they are running a one dimensional game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012