Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on Xbox 360 and PC!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
mfb
they don't have to use the whole IP--just enough to make it recognizable to SR fans. it's not like these guys have never heard of SR before. at least one of the devs still plays it. given that fact, i find it hard to believe they couldn't shell out the five or six man-hours it'd have taken to come up with a background story that at least nominally fits the existing material.
Demonseed Elite
They aren't using the whole of the IP, just what they see as the core themes/flavour that resonate with a wide audience of people.

Unfortunately, they aren't even doing that well.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
they don't have to use the whole IP--just enough to make it recognizable to SR fans. it's not like these guys have never heard of SR before. at least one of the devs still plays it. given that fact, i find it hard to believe they couldn't shell out the five or six man-hours it'd have taken to come up with a background story that at least nominally fits the existing material.

I've heard drunk monkey stuff like that from a Commando. Admittedly a Commando whose strength was in BT and just getting into SR. But he was GMing, damn it.

You need to get out of the house more and has some contact with the dirty, huddled masses....or not. smile.gif
mfb
yes. because only alcoholic primates recognize that the game they're creating is not SR.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 04:02 PM)
yes. because only alcoholic primates recognize that the game they're creating is not SR.

No, I mean "stuff" like the setting fluff over on the FASA Interactive site. smile.gif

EDIT: Obviously i find it a hyperbole describing it as unrecongnizable as SR. I've gone through the list already once, it's around here somewhere. Stuff that people were even claiming is antithematic of SR is actually somewhat consistant with the spirit of the setting.
mfb
ah. regardless, i disagree with your list. what you've listed could as easily describe a d20 Modern/Future game. the list of things they changed for no apparent reason outweighs your list by an order of magnitude. the game is not SR. i mean, for pete's sake, SRRPG.com posted a freakin' disclaimer for the game.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 04:10 PM)
i disagree with your list. what you've listed could as easily describe a d20 Modern/Future game.

Well in that sense Shadowrun proper could be a d20 Modern/Future game (well not Modern itself i think, but there is some extra suppliment that adds non-human races and magic). Such is the breadth of what a -generic- system can encompass.

But thousands of year magic cycles with one showing up at the end of the Mayan calander, some humans expressing as metahumans, and global corps with sweeping contracts for enforcing all of civil law and order (of a situation that screwed up to start with)? Come on, that's more than a stretch to try claim that isn't signature SR. ohplease.gif
mfb
except they changed all of it. they screwed up the date of the Awakening. they screwed up the expression of metahumanity. they screwed up the global corps. like i said, you don't build a game off an established IP and then change everything--especially when there's no reason to. five or six hours, tops, and this game could be worked into SR canon. the reason Shadowrun is not interchangeable with d20 Modern/Future is because of those details. SR has them, d20 Modern/Future doesn't, or has different ones.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
except they changed all of it. they screwed up the date of the Awakening. they screwed up the expression of metahumanity. they screwed up the global corps. like i said, you don't build a game off an established IP and then change everything--especially when there's no reason to. five or six hours, tops, and this game could be worked into SR canon.

You are describing slight details that are off. 12 days off, in the same month of the same year??? Hell the SR date doesn't even match up to the end of the mayan calander exactly.

They screwed up the global corps how exactly? Oh, they didn't use a name of the top ten...who may or may not actually exist under that name at that point in the timeline.

And they really openned the floodgates with those damn spike babies, and for Dwarfs too.

Once again split hairs does not equate to "everything". :/
mfb
orks are not slight details. the appearance of dragons is not slight details. the way magic works is not slight details.

moreover, details or not, there was no. reason. to. change. it.
L.D
blakkie... have you read their timeline? Have you actually checked the difference?

There are no Orks. Humans are tougher than Dwarfs. Elves and Dwarfs weren't born in 2012 (the year of the awakening...) but adults changed into Elfs, Dwarfs and Troll (but again , no Orks) that same year. Elves regenerate and Dwarfs nullify magic. When Humans install cyber, it costs less essece (why? hell do I know...).

Renraku is alive and kicking 8 years before Aneki created the company... and Fuchi's got a great optical implant that lets you see through walls... remember that this is in 2021... Because we all know that cybereyes and tech that could see through walls are part of SR-canon in 2021.

There is no offensive magic (just gone...), but there is resurrection, teleportation and a "Tree of life"-spell.

The game itself revolves about a megacorporation (RNA) trying to take control of a Ziggarut (one of six) that controls magic in the world.

How is that even close to being Shadowrun?

Edit: Forgot about the dragons... there are no dragons.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
orks are not slight details. the appearance of dragons is not slight details. the way magic works is not slight details.

They hint at "other creatures" in carvings. I haven't noticed in the screen shots yet what exactly they are talking about.

moreover, details or not, there was no. reason. to. change. it.

Orks? Sure. They are all somewhere else on earth right now *cough*. I'd lay money on it that there indeed is a reason. Likely because that's an extra model to build and animate that didn't add enough value to game play. Cut.

Dragons? So Dunk is going to show up late for his little chat at the right time. (or, more likely, they'll not bother focus on him which i'm am not going to shed a tear over) They certainly have no place in the gameplay itself. Drakes might have because of their smaller size, but not dragons.

Another dozen dense pages of history? Not needed to play the game. Cut. You want that go buy the book(s).

How magic works? In which way? Not allowing Teleport and Rez?

Damn man, if you think you can just spend 5-6 hours to make it real canon and not mess around with the basic premise underlying the game AND not have it end up a jumble of ass-pulling wierdness that'll only serve to confuse the majority of the people playing the game (for reasons that just aren't apparent to them) then have at it and send it too them. Because you can explain those away in SR canon terms sort of (the people never die, the teleporters are pulling a Harley astral jaunt), but really just open up a bunch more questions for people reading it.
blakkie
QUOTE (L.D @ May 16 2006, 04:56 PM)
blakkie... have you read their timeline? Have you actually checked the difference?

I've read. I've even noted a lot of the differences and discussed them at length.

Is it dead on no? Is it really close? No. But it's roughly in the neighborhood.

P.S. Hrmm, didn't cover the Ziggarut. Ziggurats? No. Setting aside that that name is usually associated with specific cultures. But SR has magical wierdness aplenty. SR does have the dragon lines and power sites where they cross. There are plenty of artifacts too, a lot that aren't really discussed in much detail. Because that is what they are, open background for you to paint your own game on.
L.D
Link

I'm usually not one to openly criticise my employer (Microsoft) on my blog. However the travesty which has befallen Shadowrun demands that I speak out. After FASA imploded many years ago Microsoft ended up with all the computer game rights to the FASA properties (Battletech, Shadowrun and even freaking Earthdawn). Now I understand that we must make some comprimise in the nature of a game when we transfer it from pen & paper to a computer. I'm a PM: I understand the business of tough comprimises. What happened here was not a comprimise: it was total freaking re-invention. I'm not talking the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica with human looking cylons: I'm talking about re-making Lord of the Rings in which Frodo drives to Morder in a Lamborghini Murciélago. If you work for FASA and you are reading this then I welcome you to take the shuttle over to my office and punch me the face. Seriously: I won't be offended since your damn game just kicked me the metaphoric balls.
mfb
and 'roughly in the neighborhood' is not good enough for me--and a lot of othe people--to lay money down for. nor is it good enough that i'm going to stop accusing them of being lazy hacks, because it could have been 'really close' or even 'dead on'. you'd think maybe those 5-6 extra hours would be worth it, considering the number of people planning to boycott the game because they weren't spent.
L.D
QUOTE (blakkie)
Is it dead on no? Is it really close? No. But it's roughly in the neighborhood.

Personally, I don't think it's roughly in the neighborhood. Hell, I don't even think it's on the same planet. So on that we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

But, and mfb has talked about this as well, naming this game Shadowrun was completely unnessecary.

Seriously, if you look at different forums (not only DSF) and at reviews of the game most people who have previous familiarity with Shadowrun think that this game is a really, really bad idea. And not because of gameplay, but because they feel the Shadowrun name is wastad on this game since they have practicallly nothing in common.

The ones who like the game are almost exclusively people who have never heard of Shadowrun before and on those people the name is totally wasted. You could have given the game practically any other name you could have thought of and they still would have liked it. So we're back to wasting the name on a game like this
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 05:11 PM)
and 'roughly in the neighborhood' is not good enough for me--and a lot of othe people--to lay money down for.

Big freakin' surprise down here at Anal Retentive Central. ohplease.gif

nor is it good enough that i'm going to stop accusing them of being lazy hacks, because it could have been 'really close' or even 'dead on'.

Then put your money where your mouth is flapping and spend the 6 hours writing it.
blakkie
QUOTE (L.D @ May 16 2006, 05:12 PM)
Hell, I don't even think it's on the same planet.

See, that is the exact kind of bullshit hyperbole that i'm talking about. love.gif

EDIT: Ya, it might have been poor judgement to put the SR name on any game. But telling them they can't use something they bought because Anal Retentive Central would whine, bitch and moan about pretty much anything they could afford to roll? Microsoft's only real alternative was to just let it rot into oblivion, because realistically that's where it was going to go. Given that i fail to see outside of some elitist view how they going off and building a game you'll never play really does that much harm outside of finally deflating a few pipedreams about a high production quality, strongly canon SR RPG.
mfb
how about six minutes? here we go: replace their mockery of SR history with a cut-down version of It came to Pass. take out elves and dwarves, put in orks. change RNA Global to Aztechnology and change Lineage to a nascent Amazonia. link the whole thing to the massive regrowth of the Amazon rainforest. QED.

and you, blakkie, are the last person on the planet who can talk about being anal retentive.
L.D
If you still want elves and dwarfs, then move it up a couple of years to... dunno... 2030 or something like that.

Edit: Oh, and I would be fine with some of the shit they've done if they' d have given some explanation as to why. For instance, I could take the resurrection and teleportation if the other shit was more canon and the explanation was that within... oh, a mile (or such) of the Ziggarut teleporation and resurrection is actually possible. And there you have another reason for the company wanting that artifact. Who wouldn't want to be able to resurrect people?

Edit2: I'm not exaggerating. I think that this game is a completely different game. To me the game they're selling isn't Shadowrun. And thus we're talking another planet. With my changes in the last edit, then we'd be in the same neighbourhood.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 05:17 PM)
how about six minutes? here we go: replace their mockery of SR history with a cut-down version of It came to Pass. take out elves and dwarves, put in orks. change RNA Global to Aztechnology and change Lineage to a nascent Amazonia. link the whole thing to the massive regrowth of the Amazon rainforest. QED.

So now you've taken out Elfs and Dwarfs? rotfl.gif dead.gif Sorry, you just stripped out game play design. Try again. But wait, what about those darn spells?

What are you, LAZY? eek.gif grinbig.gif

and you, blakkie, are the last person on the planet who can talk about being anal retentive.

I might be low on the last, but last i think not. wink.gif

Edit: Oh, and I would be fine with some of the shit they've done if they' d have given some explanation as to why. For instance, I could take the resurrection and teleportation if the other shit was more canon and the explanation was that within... oh, a mile (or such) of the Ziggarut teleporation and resurrection is actually possible. And there you have another reason for the company wanting that artifact. Who wouldn't want to be able to resurrect people?

Extra explaination that leads to extra questions. Why bother people with that extra stuff? You like that explaination? Then run with it. It is still wacked by canon so far since no-teleport is a canon constant. Sorry. Wrong planet. lick.gif

Or just ignore it all and have fun playing the game ganking people for cash. Or just don't buy it because it's not the type of game you'd play anyway, because they aren't selling to you.
mfb
they've got until January to fix the gameplay. those spells can be tossed out along with RNA.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 05:36 PM)
they've got until January to fix the gameplay. those spells can be tossed out along with RNA.

rollin.gif

Yes, just have them call in the software fairies to come up with some other premise for gameplay, redesign the game from the bottom up, and then rebuild the maps and the coding and the graphic content....in about 5-6 months.
mfb
that's their problem. if they'd spent the time when they first started, they wouldn't be in this position.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 05:49 PM)
that's their problem. if they'd spent the time when they first started, they wouldn't be in this position.

rotfl.gif Still a little slow on the uptake i see. Once again they likely found the strict canon version of the rules basically got in the way of the game and/or the intricacies of it came of as overly obtuse and bloated when trying to formulate it into brief, concise fluff. So out the strict rules went, and in came the paraphrasing that isn't using the same language that SR P&P people are used to (like "power point" instead of "power site").
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
They likely found the strict canon version of the rules basically got in the way of the game...

that, right there, is exactly why i'm not buying the game. they decided to make what they wanted to make, and slap the SR logo on it.

i'm done here. i'm repeating myself, and blakkie is reverting back to his basic nature. nothing good can come of continuing.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 06:47 PM)
....and blakkie is reverting back to his basic nature.

....of poking you right in your big, fat, pompus, illogical eye. nyahnyah.gif The one that has decided that people not holding in high esteem your lofty [unrealistic] ideals AND your personal tastes are just lazy or greedy.
Wounded Ronin
So, is one of you going to make a high-quality, stable, features-jammed Deus Ex mod set in a Shadowrun setting yet? I mean, since we pretty much figured out that the MS game won't be worth buying, I figured I'd just download and enjoy your hyper cannon of drama mod work instead. That dosen't exist yet. But it should.
Da9iel
(Lets see if I can still do this.) Yeah, but it's cool because a dev has a purple mohawk.
Red
I will readily confess that I am a detail man. I love deep stuff. I like stuff that's got so many layers it gets local geologists excited. And then when it comes time to share that stuff with everybody else, I've got to tone it down about ten notches so they don't look at me like I'm speaking Latin. That part of me can't help but feel awful. That part of me feels like my favorite puppy was just drowned in a lake inside a garbage bag. As much as I like SR4, I still miss the demise of variable TNs.

That said, I don't know how I'd make an SR computer game if I was placed in the hot seat. As Einstein says, make things as simple as possible, but no simpler. The development team obviously took the knife to canon, but I think they probably cut a little too far. But how much of this perceived loss is real or imaginary is hard to determine. They've gone all the way back to 2012. We can't say with certainty whether future events will be invalidated, but there is a real fear that if they tinkered with such basic stuff as making magic absorbant dwarves... then what else we be lost? Call it estimated trajectory.

I think it is clear that somebody probably started with gameplay mechanics first, and the cut apart SR stuff to fit. Sort of like putting square shaped stickers on a circle. On one hand, sure, mechanically a circle peg is going to fit in the circle hole, and thus increase the odds for good gameplay. But I think that people feel it is an insult to their intelligence when you slap the square sticker on top. Example, allow an option like an edge to be magic resistant, but don't slap it on the dwarf metatype.

So, in the end, I'm just conflicted.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
So, is one of you going to make a high-quality, stable, features-jammed Deus Ex mod set in a Shadowrun setting yet? I mean, since we pretty much figured out that the MS game won't be worth buying, I figured I'd just download and enjoy your hyper cannon of drama mod work instead. That dosen't exist yet. But it should.

I was thinking more of Morrowind. Shadowrun style drain is rather easy to impliment in Morrorwind due to the ability to mix and match spel effects. It is simple to seet magica cost to 0 and put damage stamine self on every spell.

Of course, firearms and cyberware would present some problems due to the fact that the game was disigned to support a Roman Empire tech level but firearm mods have already been done with creative scripting.
Dranem
According to the game details, not only are dwarves resistant to magic, they inhibit magic! Automatic counterspelling whether they're a mage or not? Come one people! eek.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 16 2006, 09:31 PM)
So, is one of you going to make a high-quality, stable, features-jammed Deus Ex mod set in a Shadowrun setting yet?  I mean, since we pretty much figured out that the MS game won't be worth buying, I figured I'd just download and enjoy your hyper cannon of drama mod work instead.  That dosen't exist yet.  But it should.

I was thinking more of Morrowind. Shadowrun style drain is rather easy to impliment in Morrorwind due to the ability to mix and match spel effects. It is simple to seet magica cost to 0 and put damage stamine self on every spell.

Of course, firearms and cyberware would present some problems due to the fact that the game was disigned to support a Roman Empire tech level but firearm mods have already been done with creative scripting.

Yeah, well, I don't like Morrowind. See that one to VW instead. wink.gif
mfb
meh. mods aren't where my talents lie.

QUOTE (Red)
They've gone all the way back to 2012. We can't say with certainty whether future events will be invalidated, but there is a real fear that if they tinkered with such basic stuff as making magic absorbant dwarves... then what else we be lost? Call it estimated trajectory.

i agree. on some of the forums i visit, the reaction of some is that fans of SR should buy whatever video game is offered, as long as it has Shadowrun on the box. that way, it's more likely to see a sequel. my personal feeling is that if the game isn't SR, i don't want it, no matter what it says on the box--and that goes for sequels as well.
blakkie
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
So, is one of you going to make a high-quality, stable, features-jammed Deus Ex mod set in a Shadowrun setting yet?

We'll see that sometime after drunken monkeys sprout wings, feathered, not the kite kind, and fly off to happy happy candyland. Afterall apparently mods aren't where the talents here lie, sniveling about how -other- people just so don't know how to build a computer game is.

@Da9iel: Hehe, i hadn't seen that one before. Dig the "monkey brain" comment, i'm really onto something i think. biggrin.gif
James McMurray
The funniest thing to me about this entire thing is that no matter what game they'd made, hardcore SR fans would bitch. They would still have left out Orks, because Trolls and Orks are too close to one another to bother coding both. They would have had to leave some canon stuff out, meaning cries of "damnit! I wanted my kid stealth legs!" They'd have had to drop some spells ("Waaah! Where's my Turn to Goo???").

It is impossible for any game to fully duplicate a PnP game that's been around for decades. And depending on what your time frame is, you'll probably have to even change some game mechanics around to make the coding simpler. Hell, even Neverwinter Nights and D&D Online have hordes of detracters and they're both really close to the actual rule sets.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
The funniest thing to me about this entire thing is that no matter what game they'd made, hardcore SR fans would bitch.

oh, definitely. that's the fun part about being a hardcore fan of anything--bashing parts of it you don't like.

however, the main difference between fan reaction to this game and fan reaction to a game where the developers took the time to portray the SR world with a reasonable degree of accuracy is, i'd be buying that other game. and so would a lot of other SR fans.
James McMurray
True. And Microsoft would be getting the $5,000 worth of profits because of it. But who's to say how much making this version will net them from non-SR fans. I certainly can't, but it might be more than the money they lose by alienating the comparatively small group of people that play FPS games and also play PnP SR.

Edit: The "true" is meant to refer to your second paragraph. I disagree witht eh first, and it doesn't really seem to mesh with my statements anyway, since I was talking about hardcore SR fans bashing a computer game, not SR itself.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 16 2006, 09:31 PM)
So, is one of you going to make a high-quality, stable, features-jammed Deus Ex mod set in a Shadowrun setting yet?

I'm not sure how much easier Deus Ex's preexisting RPG elements would make it to mod, but unless the answer is "a whole lot" it is, while an awesome game, just about the worst choice you could make for a base to mod on. The engine sucks and sucks badly, as anyone who has tried to use the eye-lights in the game knows. That said, I am working on something with a friend. More news if and when it gets off the ground in a serious way.

James: you're assuming that the qualities that make a game attractive to fans will innately be aversive, or at least uninteresting, to non-fans. If I really have to point out the flaws in that assumption, there's no point in trying to talk about it.

~J
mfb
your estimate of the number of SR fans appears to be slightly lower than mine. certainly your estimate of the number of fans who won't be buying the "Shadowrun" FPS because of the, ah, changes made to the story line is. as for how much they'll get off non-SR fans, well, that goes back to the M$ thing.

i was being largely tongue-in-cheeck about bashing something being the best part about being a fan of that thing.
James McMurray
I'm not assuming anything. Did you somehow take my use of "I certainly can't" and "might" to mean I had nailed down exactly what effects the changes have on the marketability of the game? I'd say that if that is the level of reading comprehension you have, there's no point in trying to talk about anything.
mfb
your phrasing would lead one to believe that you made that assumption. you say "this version might not get SR fans, but it might get non-fans", which certainly implies that there is something about the version which attracts non-fans while repelling fans. or, at least, one can easily draw that implication from it.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
your estimate of the number of SR fans appears to be slightly lower than mine. certainly your estimate of the number of fans who won't be buying the "Shadowrun" FPS because of the, ah, changes made to the story line is. as for how much they'll get off non-SR fans, well, that goes back to the M$ thing.

So what's your estimate?

Where's your market research?

How much profit do you think they make from each copy of SR that they sell, given that we don't know how much it cost to make and how much it will sell for?

How many copies would be pirated by SR players because "that's what shadowrunners do," and therefor wouldn't be profit for them anyway?

Admittedly I picked a number out of my ass, but it has about as much chance of being right as any number you pick unless you have access to a lot more information, and answers to questions that don't actually have any way of being answered. And the basic premise is the same whether the number is $5,000 or $500,000, as we have no idea of what the effects of adding the non-SR magic tot he game will be on sales.
mfb
my estimate? i don't have an estimate. i have no idea exactly how many SR fans are not going to buy the game due to the lack of respect with which it treats the IP. i do know of around 200+ who have vocally made clear their intentions to not buy it for that reason, but whether or not they'll follow through--and how many haven't spoken, but who will do the same--i don't know.

none of which has anything to do with my point, which remains that the honest thing for the developers to do would be to either create a game that treats the IP with respect, or not make a game at all. the fact that they're doing neither is what prompted the whole M$ thing. i don't care how many sales of this game there are, though it would suit my personal sense of justice if it flopped. but whether or not it will succeed has never been my point.
James McMurray
And oddly enough, they don't care whether or not you care. Ain't it grand when life turns full circle. smile.gif
nick012000
http://www.shadowrun-online.com/sronline/index.php

On the upside, it looks like there's a SR MMORPG coming out as well.
mfb
no. but i'm willing to bet they'll care if there's a massive fan backlash against their game. and i'm hoping that calling them on their dishonesty on the official forums--along with several hundred other fans--will motivate them to mend their ways.
James McMurray
I hope so too, but doubt it. If it makes money they'll make a sequel. If it doesn't make money they won't.
mfb
at this point, i'd rather not see a sequel.

i think of it this way: i was unhappy when Greedo shot first, but at least it was Lucas who decided it.
James McMurray
And of course, whether you or I want a sequel really doesn't matter. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012