Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on Xbox 360 and PC!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
athros
QUOTE (blakkie)
...and for that sole reason you would not buy and play the game?  Now -there- is an opinion that Microsoft/FASA might take heed of. It isn't going to change dick-squat in this game they end up shipping. But at least they might actually notice it.

Because really the license was long 'paid' for and any good will of note was likely written off by some accounting department somewhere. It is like a free license, and with no pesty licensor wanting to vette the game concept or details.  But if they actually thought it was -costing- them sales, then they'd take notice.  Right now the vast majority of the reactions i'm seeing is that it really isn't costing them anything at all to use the Shadowrun name on this game they were likely going to create in some form anyway.

And yes, for that reason, I will not buy the game. If it did not have the Shadowrun name on it, I would likely buy it. As it stands, I'm not going to dirty my karma with it. If they made an SR game that represented SR, I would likely buy it.
blakkie
@Kagetenshi

By shaking an angry fist and competing with paid shills on their forum? smile.gif Nah, your cries of "where did you bury the body of SR, you murdering hacks!" are just going to get drowned out by the sweet, infectious rythms of the trailer soundtrack. talker.gif
Lindt
Which has some cool tuneage, but its other wise totally goat-fucking terrible. Yeah, that was a teleport, never mind what ever the hell that was at the end.

athros
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Maybe athros sees something in the game that I don't, or maybe I'm really just blinded with rage by what they're calling "Shadowrun", but you're right—using the Shadowrun name on a game as bad as it looks to me like this one will be is indeed not doing anything the game itself wouldn't have done.

Of course, the fact that I've got a strict (though broken exactly once) rule against buying Windows games and don't plan to ever own an XBox of any form means they'd already lost me. What I can do, though, is encourage other people not to buy the game.

~J

It's not that I see something you don't, it's that it might be an awesome FPS. And I am just as pissed as you are about them attaching the SR name to it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 11 2006, 01:02 PM)
@Kagetenshi

By shaking an angry fist and competing with paid shills on their forum? smile.gif

Nope. I'm not signed up on their forum, and don't plan to be. Instead, I'm just going to get the word out to people I know who might now or at some point own either a 360 or Vista and poison the game in their minds.

Think globally, act locally. Viral marketing is where it's at these days, didn't you get the message?

Edit: athros, if you believe it might be awesome you're seeing something I'm not. There isn't a whole lot of gameplay information there, but little of it looks good from where I'm sitting.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 11 2006, 12:15 PM)
Think globally, act locally. Viral marketing is where it's at these days, didn't you get the message?

Not really. I use to play FPSs, and nearly exclusively PVP, but these days I don't nearly as much as they are hard on my wrist. Otherwise at this point i'd certainly still give it a chance to show me what it can do, as just a game, in the final release. It looks like it has some interesting possibilities for game play in it.

Counterstrike with a twist of spells? Ya sure, i'd check it out.
athros
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 11 2006, 01:02 PM)
@Kagetenshi 

By shaking an angry fist and competing with paid shills on their forum? smile.gif

Nope. I'm not signed up on their forum, and don't plan to be. Instead, I'm just going to get the word out to people I know who might now or at some point own either a 360 or Vista and poison the game in their minds.

Edit: athros, if you believe it might be awesome you're seeing something I'm not. There isn't a whole lot of gameplay information there, but little of it looks good from where I'm sitting.

~J

Ok, then let me rephrase. I think that because they are attaching the SR name to a game that does not accurately represent Shadowrun, it is going to suck absolute ass. It might be a good/awesome FPS, and I am inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt with the limited information and actual gameplay footage, but I will not buy something that disregards what SR is.
mdynna
I would put Brian Singer in the "respect a license and make money" town (he directed the X-Men movies). I think they very well respected the "feel" that was presented in the X-Men comics.
James McMurray
It would have been kinda hard to make an X-Men movie and not respect at least part of it's feel because of how many variations on the X-men have been made, and how many moods they've used.
eralston
I suppose I should reserve judgement on Brian Singer until Superman comes out. If he can produce quality film on two franchises, he's like up for sainthood or something. Especially after turning around super man (which has been on and off for like 10 years, a real testament to Hollywood bureacracy).

I would also say that most of the shots from X3 are really doing it for me as far as a "finally, a comic movie with balls" standpoint, but again, I'll wait until the movie. X-men doesn't seem to have suffer the loss of Brian. If X3 is still good, perhaps it's the franchise and not the quality of directors (watching Fantastic Four, it occured to me that as cheesy as the movie was, it was probably as good as they could do).

Is there anyone in video games you would say is an analog to Brian Singer? Give them our much beloved Shadowrun
mintcar
QUOTE (mdynna)
I would put Brian Singer in the "respect a license and make money" town (he directed the X-Men movies). I think they very well respected the "feel" that was presented in the X-Men comics.

Agreed. The fact that X-men and Spiderman has made for much more successful movies than that Daredevil sludge is a small testament to the very scarce but o so sweet existence of justice and good taste in this world.
James McMurray
And the comparative popularity between DD, Spiderman, and the X-Men. The latter two had a huge audience differential from Daredevil, simply because of how long they've been around and how pervasive they are in the Marvel universe.

I personally liked the Daredevil movie.
eralston
DD wasn't bad. It's probably the best DD movie they could have made still under the pressure to explain his origin. I enjoyed their chosen use of flashback.

The big flexibility with SR is that the elements available could be told through any set of characters. That cuts both ways, because some things could be really mishandled. For instance, in DD they kind of struggled to properly represent DD's anti-heroism, but in a movie full of anti-heroes (like any SR movie) writing the specifics of them would be really hard. Especially given the American believe that generic good guys are killing machines even when not anti-heroes (damn 80s screwed that up for us).
Witness
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Postscript: Witness, we can already do that with better games. Look, I'm playing the original Doom inside an emulator on the Matrix! Isn't this so much more fun?

Was kind of joking mate.
Laser
QUOTE (Lindt)
Which has some cool tuneage, but its other wise totally goat-fucking terrible. Yeah, that was a teleport, never mind what ever the hell that was at the end.

An overly dramatic conjuration of a spirit, or command to manifest an elemental is what it seems to me. Or were you talking about turning into smoke?

Something else that bugs me about this is that it's set in 2021, yet there are apparent elves in the tribal team. And so it came to pass... has UGE not starting until 2011 -- so they're 10?
hobgoblin
they are immortal elfs wink.gif

about the only thing left of the original shadowrun timeline is the idea of worlds and the cycle of magic...
JongWK
Apparently, humans mutate into elves and dwarves.

Yes, I'm crying from my corner.
SL James
Take it from someone who finally gave up complaining about SR4: Move on, and worry about something that matters. You're never going to change MS's position.
mfb
i dunno, i'm having a great time bashing the hell out of the game on its own forums.
SL James
Considering that it seems a massive, faceless megacorp is the Good Guy, I fail to see what MS would see as a benefit to making them what the megas really are like in SR.
mdynna
The problem is this: the people who control the money and get to decide which games get made are uncreative or cowards or both. They are afraid to move out into new territory and try something different. They would rather take the "safe" path of at least moderate sales by banging on familiar cash cows: eg. the FPS genre. I'm fairly certain when they sat down to make the game the conversation started by with: "How can we make Shadowrun a shooter?" I suppose I keep getting my hopes up because games like NWN occasionally gets made.

Another classic example of the "we must make an FPS" mistake was the Wheel of Time game. What a great, rich, fantasy world just waiting for an epic RPG game. Instead, you ran around breaking open wooden crates and collecting Tir'Angreals. *heavy sigh*
ronin3338
Here's my double-edged sword...

If the game doesn't do well, they won't make another one. If they don't make another one, they can't make a better one. (or one that I like better) nyahnyah.gif

If the game does well, they'll make another one. If they make another one, it'll be just as "un-SR" as this one.
mfb
they would be retarded to let one failure keep them from making another game. SR was, pre-announcement, the most-anticipated XBox360 release on the list.

then again, look how badly they're pissing off SR fans and then decide for yourself, re: retardery on their part.
hobgoblin
damned if one do, damned if one dont...
Kagetenshi
If the game succeeds, the people behind it get rewarded. If the game fails, the people behind it don't.

I see no double edge on that sword. If Mitch Gitelman has a job, is still employable after this is said and done, we as a society will have failed.

~J
SL James
QUOTE (MS shill on shadowrun.com)
Take off your blinders and see that this is a game that can introduce new fans to the legacy and enjoy it as much as you say you do.

Where have I read that before?
eralston
High anticipation doesn't mean much.

Have I brought up Advent Rising in here yet?

Overall, there is one chance at a first impression and that goes double in the face of the inflating costs for next-gen development.

Uwe Boll is more capable of making a passable SR movie than these guys are at making a good SR game.
SL James
Seriously, the parallels (including the vitriol) with the response following the third SR4 FAQ is just shockingly identical, which amuses the shit out of me considering who was on which sides last year.
hobgoblin
but then SR4 carryed over the game world, but changed the mechanics of it. this trows out the game world as well as the mechanics...

therefor you will have a more uniform nay aimed at this FPS rip-off, while some just shrugged at the new mechanics as long as they could keep the world that had learned to love.
L.D
If you want to compare to the change to SR4, then imagine that FanPro said that instead of playing in 2070 SR4 would take place in 2021 with no goblinization, no orks and people changing into elves, dwarfs and trolls in 2012 (and more shit like that).
Witness
QUOTE (SL James)
Considering that it seems a massive, faceless megacorp is the Good Guy, I fail to see what MS would see as a benefit to making them what the megas really are like in SR.

QUOTE (mdynna)
The problem is this: the people who control the money and get to decide which games get made are uncreative or cowards or both. They are afraid to move out into new territory and try something different.

Actually you know. Corporation as clear-cut Good Guy? In this day and age that really is daring and different!

I know there must be another case of a benevolent Corporation somewhere in fiction, but I just can't think of one! Anybody?
Shadow
QUOTE (eralston)
Uwe Boll is more capable of making a passable SR movie than these guys are at making a good SR game.

I cringe at the thought of him getting near our beloved game. Ugh.

As for the Console game... what do you expect? Its a console game! Dumb down the interface, dumb down the story line, more blood this is the cry of console gamers. PC games are "too complicated" whatever. There are so few good games released on consoles I am not surprised it will suck. Heaven forbid they make a Shadowrun game about Shadowrun.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ May 11 2006, 04:17 PM)
Seriously, the parallels (including the vitriol) with the response following the third SR4 FAQ is just shockingly identical, which amuses the shit out of me considering who was on which sides last year.

I think this puts SR4 into perspective. It actually is the same game in very much the same world. With a similar tone.

Sure there are some storytelling backflips and a few MINOR adjustments, but all in all the biggest change has to do with removing huge hunking wads of tediousness (tediousness that many people apparently liked) and the patchwork created by the first two major revisions and a decade and a half of additions.

To start with there is the obvious effort that was put into doing so. FASA didn't even give "trying" lip service.

P.S. I really don't get the Corp is the clear-cut Good Guy out of what they have. What i see is the the Corp is NOT the ultimate picture of evil, but still they did manage to destroy 1/2 a city (causing uncounted deaths) through incompetence (hello Ares!) and are forcibily repressing the rest of the city. It doesn't take much scratching to get below the their PR slogan of "making the world a better place through commerce" to see the naked selfinterest below.

Nor are ancient protectors particularly altruistic. They come off somewhat above Winternight (which is obviously not a corp) and give the IE running that show a real dirty edge.

I think that i one thing of SR that they managed not to irradicate. No clear good guys.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 11 2006, 03:59 PM)
I see no double edge on that sword. If Mitch Gitelman has a job, is still employable after this is said and done, we as a society will have failed.

The Batman TV series. That was a ultra-camp, public broadcast sanitized bastardization of Batman. But it has become a somewhat successful and culturally accepted take on Batman. Not the only one, but one of them.

How many people are there these days calling for Adam West's head on a platter for his part in that?

Whether the game is in the end judged as a quality, fun video game in it's medium (squad PVP FPS) or not still remains to be seen.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 11 2006, 07:28 PM)
I think this puts SR4 into perspective. It actually is the same game in very much the same world. With a similar tone.

That's a complete and utter lie, and you know it. For all its flaws I don't want to compare SR4 to this monstrosity, but it is not remotely the same world, the same game, or a vaguely similar tone.

~J
blakkie
How much have you actually played of it? Besides the decker nolonger stuck in the basement unless he wants to be, and the extra AR glitz, it's the same grimey, "you stupid=you eventually dead" world. The history is certainly intact (just a couple of bruises in regards to details about adepts).
hobgoblin
some people dont like the apparent predictability of the new dice system...
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
The history is certainly intact (just a couple of bruises in regards to details about adepts).

blakkie, for chrissake, pay attention.

mfb, for chrissake, pay attention.
James McMurray
Perhaps you should be paying attention? Blakkie's reference to the facts not changing is in regards to people trying to parallel this to SR3 and SR4. The SR4 history is intact when viewed against an SR3 backdrop, because nothing changed about the world prior to SR4's 2070.
mfb
whoops. damn all uses of the word "it", it's too confusing.
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 11 2006, 04:17 PM)

I think this puts SR4 into perspective. It actually is the same game in very much the same world. With a similar tonee first two major revisions and a decade and a half of additions.

This has nothing to do with the game. I'm just discussing the tone of the discourse. As soon as I saw one of their shills use the word blinders and constantly condescend about how they know more, I swear I was reading a freelancer's or playtester's (or both) posts back in late spring and summer of last year, especially in light of re-reading all of RPGpundit the other day looking for his Kenson-bashing quotes.

And the critical posts are just as vicious (although, like the complaints here, hardly as ignorant as claimed by defenders) as they were last year.

The games themselves? Irrelevant to me.
blakkie
Someone calling the German government of the late 1930's/early 1940's "facist" is a little different than them calling their dad a "facist" for booting their 29-year-old freeloading ass out of the basement and to the curb. wink.gif
SL James
So, SR4 is Nazis?
blakkie
Yes, but the good news is that it doesn't give you cancer. It is also a bit more selective about which of it's own citizens it snuffs, at least compared to Joey "SR3" Stalin. cool.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 11 2006, 03:59 PM)

The Batman TV series. That was a ultra-camp, public broadcast sanitized bastardization of Batman. But it has become a somewhat successful and culturally accepted take on Batman. Not the only one, but one of them.

How many people are there these days calling for Adam West's head on a platter for his part in that?

Whether the game is in the end judged as a quality, fun video game in it's medium (squad PVP FPS) or not still remains to be seen.

But, you see, Adam West was excellent in the role. He pulled it off in a way that most other people couldn't (George Clooney, if I ever see you I will ask for my money back). Camp isn't easy to do well. Adam did it well.

Now, it isn't just that Shadowrun is bastardized. It is that what we have been shown doesn't look link anything but standard genre fare. If it has the quality and appeal of Adam West's Batman then mor epower to them. I havn't seen anything to suggest that it will. This looks more like the Batman and Robin of Shadowrun.
mfb
i find this thread to be absolutely hilarious. CrimsonDude's post is especially amusing, for unrelated reasons.
The Jopp
QUOTE (L.D)
If you want to compare to the change to SR4, then imagine that FanPro said that instead of playing in 2070 SR4 would take place in 2021 with no goblinization, no orks and people changing into elves, dwarfs and trolls in 2012 (and more shit like that).

If they would do THAT then I would start collecting money from all DS’ers so that we could buy the rights for the Shadowrun RPG and make our own Shadowrun game – SR5 with a HUUGE disclaimer telling future gamers that SR4 never existed and that it was just a myth.
Ranneko
QUOTE (blakkie)
@Kagetenshi

By shaking an angry fist and competing with paid shills on their forum? smile.gif Nah, your cries of "where did you bury the body of SR, you murdering hacks!" are just going to get drowned out by the sweet, infectious rythms of the trailer soundtrack. talker.gif

Have you actually looked in the forum?

It is almost entirely filled by angy angy people.
Dranem
I can't beleive Kanada Ten actually posted that he would play this game! Have you no shame in actually showing interest in this falacy?!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
whoops. damn all uses of the word "it", it's too confusing.

yep, badly labeld context switching is a bitch...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012