Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on Xbox 360 and PC!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Silent Recoil
Found a little blurb from E3 about Shadowrun on both the PC and Xbox. Also note that it mentions Gates "demonstrated", implying its far enough completed to be played!

http://www.e3insider.com/news/?articleID=5U0GT1MEHF
nezumi
There are a bunch of threads on this already, including one 7 pages long. You might want to follow up there.
blakkie
At least that is an interesting story there. Well not the Shadowrun part so much. wink.gif I was wondering when they'd finally get around to bridging it so you could play in Live games online from your PC. I wonder the architecture will work, and if you'll need some sort of Live! subscription for your PC.
nezumi
Do you need a Live subscription to play on your xbox?

But you're right, I thought that was cool too. Somehow I forgot to bring it up between all the hating going on. Too bad you need Vista to run it, though. I wonder if pirated copies count.
The ubbergeek
Crud, I'd would have so much played it on my 'Cube. But at least, there is a PC version.

I just hope that it will end up like Neverwinetr Nights and not some amateurish MMORPG.
Mardegun
Anyone got an email adress of the head of the studio making the game or any of there the leads?
bustedkarma
www.shadowrun.com is the best place to start.
Guy heading the Dev team is named Mitch.
He hates SR Fans.
nezumi
Don't bother e-mailing them. My theory is a group of middle-management folks in M$ decided it would be good to make a Shadowrun based game, then they got a group of devs who are good at making games where people shoot at each other.

The problem isn't that Mitch & co. want to do Shadowrun harm, or aren't trying to make a good game. It's just that none of them *LIKE* shadowrun. They like FPS games, CS games, things like that. And they were put on this project (generally when you're put on a project, you don't get an awful lot of choice). So they're trying to make a game they think people will like which means a game THEY will like. It isn't that a single person is to blame for making a mess of things, but it's simply that no one along the line said 'boy, maybe we should fid people who actually have some interest in the content and put them on the production team.'

I guess it'd be kind of like if Adam paid us to make a Barbie game. It would have pink AKs, transvestites, street hookers and Ken would randomly burst into flames during game play (in other words, it'd be really fun), but it would be Barbie only in name.
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi)
Do you need a Live subscription to play on your xbox?

But you're right, I thought that was cool too. Somehow I forgot to bring it up between all the hating going on. Too bad you need Vista to run it, though. I wonder if pirated copies count.

It would seem almost a lock that you'd need Live of some sort to play multiplayer on the 360, but then isn't there a basic Live that comes with the 360? I've had no interest so i've not really looked into it that closely.

The PC? *shrug* Traditionally no, but then there has never been a game that a PC and an Xbox could play multiplayer on the same server. Going to be curious to see if Microsoft thinks they can pull off charging a PC player a monthly subscription to play online without providing a persistant world.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 10 2006, 04:37 PM)
My theory is a group of middle-management folks in M$ decided it would be good to make a Shadowrun based game, then they got a group of devs who are good at making games where people shoot at each other. 

The problem isn't that Mitch & co. want to do Shadowrun harm, or aren't trying to make a good game.  It's just that none of them *LIKE* shadowrun.  They like FPS games, CS games, things like that.  And they were put on this project (generally when you're put on a project, you don't get an awful lot of choice).  So they're trying to make a game they think people will like which means a game THEY will like.  It isn't that a single person is to blame for making a mess of things, but it's simply that no one along the line said 'boy, maybe we should fid people who actually have some interest in the content and put them on the production team.'

I guess it'd be kind of like if Adam paid us to make a Barbie game.  It would have pink AKs, transvestites, street hookers and Ken would randomly burst into flames during game play (in other words, it'd be really fun), but it would be Barbie only in name.

That doesn't mean they aren't to blame, that just means there are more people to blame. That said, Mitch had a choice, and he chose to do this. There is no reason to give him any slack.

blakkie: there is a free version of Live (Silver), but it does not allow access to online play.

~J
FanGirl
QUOTE (nezumi)
I guess it'd be kind of like if Adam paid us to make a Barbie game. It would have pink AKs, transvestites, street hookers and Ken would randomly burst into flames during game play (in other words, it'd be really fun), but it would be Barbie only in name.

"There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!"

Oh wait, yes there is: rotfl.gif
eralston
That exact bit of logic that good game makers will make a good game of license X is exactly what makes license games suck so often.
Bigity
Shadowrun Game movie from E3

I feel physically ill.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
blakkie: there is a free version of Live (Silver), but it does not allow access to online play.

~J

There is an unofficial and completely free network called X-link Kai. It supports multiplayer games from both X-Box and 360, as well as Gamecube, PS2, and PSP by tricking the game into thinging that the online players are connecting over a LAN. It should work for this game.
Kanada Ten
Microsoft is pushing Live Anywhere, which will support PC to XBoX to Cellphone gameplay.
Mardegun
QUOTE (eralston)
That exact bit of logic that good game makers will make a good game of license X is exactly what makes license games suck so often.

Of course I don't agree with this statement. While most license games do suck, there are a lot more factors involved then the general public knows about. In many cases the developers have are so restricted by the license concepts or ridiculous time tables that is unreasonable to expect a good product. However from what I have read Fasa Studios has eliminated some of these issues. In short they have discarded the modern version of shadowrun to forge their own game. Of course as a hardcore SR fan I don’t agree with this move. I still think you can create a game which is true to the spirit of SR AND still appeal to the market.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)

The problem isn't that Mitch & co. want to do Shadowrun harm, or aren't trying to make a good game. It's just that none of them *LIKE* shadowrun. They like FPS games, CS games, things like that. And they were put on this project (generally when you're put on a project, you don't get an awful lot of choice). So they're trying to make a game they think people will like which means a game THEY will like. It isn't that a single person is to blame for making a mess of things, but it's simply that no one along the line said 'boy, maybe we should fid people who actually have some interest in the content and put them on the production team.'

Personally, I love FPS games, although I prefer the realism-inspired ones more than the pure fantasy style ones. I prefer situations where it pays to crouch and aim to situations where bunny hopping is the true way of the jedi.

So, that being said, if they gave me a SR game that was in fact a FPS dealing with Barbie, transvestites, and pink AKs, I'd probably enjoy it in spite of myself.

I feel loved.
eidolon
OMFG. Just watched the video.

If it wasn't SR, wasn't supposed to be SR, and was in no way, shape, or form touted as having anything to do with SR, I might have just thought "that looks kinda neat, but not like anything I'd be interested in playing".

Since it is supposed to be SR, I wish great physical harm on several people.
mfb
what in the name of all holy fuck.
eidolon
Yeah. Effing pathetic.
ShadowDragon8685
Why are they calling this Shadowrun? This isen't even related to Shadowrun. There are no Shadowrunners. You've got a corporation and a city in open rebellion. There's no Shadowrunners. There's no shadows to run!
mfb
you know, i have a question. one of many, admittedly, but this question is at the top of my list, right above the question "Jesus Fucking Christ!".

that question is: if the ancient ziggurat in Santos predates all known civilization, how in the hell does the Chancela family trace their lineage all the way back to the builders of the ziggurat?
SL James
Immortal elves?

Which is just.... hahaha. That'd be the ultimate "fuck you" to most people on DS.
hyzmarca
Yes, Immortal Elves.

FASA Interactive and, by extension, Microsoft has the videogame rights to all FASA properties, including Earthdawn. They can exploit, maim, and butcher SR/ED crossover material as much as they please without any problems.

mintcar
SL James; the flaming ball of pure hatred, is a powerful but fickle runner to have on your team. He will often demonstrate his ferosiousness by beating up his team members and showing no mercy to pedestrians and passer bys, but in the face of a true enemy he will stand back to laugh at the other team members when they fight in vain against impossible odds. nyahnyah.gif
DV8
QUOTE (Bigity)
Shadowrun Game movie from E3

I feel physically ill.

Hey, it looks kind of interesting. It's just not Shadowrun. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
Yeah Nobody gets treat spells twith that many successes
Laser
Plus I thought I saw a teleport... which is blatantly against the very short list of things magic can't do in the books.
mfb
yep. it actually mentions teleporting in the 'history'.
Laser
Well, when you think about it... teleporting of various types is strongly established as something that magic can do in video games, heck even technology can often do it (translocator, anyone?). That doesn't mean that it's excusable (Off the top of my head, I can't think of many spells that would be difficult to impliment in the game world. The emotion-based ones, perhaps, stuff like mob mood or detect emotions, plus anything that dealt strictly with nonvisual nonaudio senses), there is no shortage of utility spells in the game that don't violate any of the rules of the game. I'm just saying I can see where they're coming from.
mfb
they're coming from the land of people who crap on licenses in exchange for money. how i hate that land.
mintcar
Yeah, that land sucks. It's a land of untalanted people who are also stupid. The land of people who make good stuff that respects licenses is a much better place, and they make more money too.
athros
eek.gif holy fuck. And here I thought someone just might be able to make a decent game off of the SR license. Remember the old Genesis SR? Truth be told, if they would just call it something else, I'd buy it.
And on a side note, I'm going to go download the SR ROM again. cool.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mintcar @ May 11 2006, 07:23 AM)
The land of people who make good stuff that respects licenses is a much better place, and they make more money too.

Really? I visited the place, and found a half-dozen abandoned shacks and a corpse.

Well, and Peter Jackson's palace. Though he lives on the far border, and at least part of his palace is outside of the land.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (athros)
Truth be told, if they would just call it something else, I'd buy it.

So you are inclined to think it might be a decent game. Just not a decent Shadowrun representation?
KarmaInferno
Holy crap those graphics are terrible.

Maybe a few years ago that might have been acceptable in a video game cutscene, but today?

Plus, yes, it's not Shadowrun.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Wait, what? What would be the point of that?
eralston
Blech...that video shatters my hopes and dreams

I think that's actually supposed to be a dropped invisibility spell, there is a walking path up to the platform. Still, I think they're convinced it will only sell to 14 year olds

UPDATE: A friend of mine showed the the in-game video and that DOES look like a teleport...sadness...
SL James
QUOTE (mintcar)
SL James; the flaming ball of pure hatred, is a powerful but fickle runner to have on your team. He will often demonstrate his ferosiousness by beating up his team members and showing no mercy to pedestrians and passer bys, but in the face of a true enemy he will stand back to laugh at the other team members when they fight in vain against impossible odds. nyahnyah.gif

Evil is a fickle thing.
hobgoblin
hmm, while it was a interesting video, it was all CGI and therefor not representative of the game at all. and the CGI smelled more team fortress or counterstrike then it did a RPG of any kind.

the story is out there, the gameplay i fear will be out there, its dead on arrival. talk about abusing a golden oportunity, shame on you fasa and microsoft...
SL James
Oh, and besides that - who said I was on the same team as anyone else here?
Witness
Maybe we can pretend that it's not the Shadowrun world, but is a Matrix game within the Shadowrun world! wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I did. You will spend an eternity with them.

~Satan

Postscript: Witness, we can already do that with better games. Look, I'm playing the original Doom inside an emulator on the Matrix! Isn't this so much more fun?
mintcar
Kagetenchi: Sam Raimi has a pretty nice shack over there too, I believe. And the folks at Bioware and a few more. There's not many of them, but in all cases were a product made off a license has been wildly successful AND criticly acclaimed, it's been a faithful and loving adaption. <edit> That is to say: Making shit is easy and can make you money. But you need to make something good to make a classic, and if you do you will obviously make even more money.

SL James: That was a bit of a stretch I had to include to make my analogy work.
blakkie
@Kagetenshi

But are you going to be going up against someone named Karl Combatmage in Doom? wink.gif

And there will be players in the game that are aware enough of SR to use that name. Once again i remind you that DSF is the extreme end of the spectrum of getting hung up on canon with an inability or unwillingness to set it aside to just go have fun.
mintcar
QUOTE (blakkie)
@Kagetenshi

But are you going to be going up against someone named Karl Combatmage in Doom? wink.gif

And there will be players in the game that are aware enough of SR to use that name. Once again i remind you that DSF is the extreme end of the spectrum of getting hung up on canon with an inability or unwillingness to set it aside to just go have fun.

Haha. That's the first prospect about this game that has intrigued me.
blakkie
QUOTE (Taran @ May 11 2006, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Wait, what? What would be the point of that?

Why to sell you stuff of course. smile.gif You can buy things from other people, and Microsoft too i think, in LiveBucks or whatever they call their currency. Even when you are buying stuff from a 3rd party Microsoft is making money on the seigniorage.

Plus they can use it as an advertising medium with a tightly focused market. People that own an XBox/Xbox360 and have an internet connection for it.
athros
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (athros @ May 11 2006, 09:30 AM)
Truth be told, if they would just call it something else, I'd buy it.

So you are inclined to think it might be a decent game. Just not a decent Shadowrun representation?

I am inclined to believe that it will be a decent game, and it might be a spectacular game, however IMHO with the current information available for it, it won't be an accurate representation of SR at all.
blakkie
...and for that sole reason you would not buy and play the game? Now -there- is an opinion that Microsoft/FASA might take heed of. It isn't going to change dick-squat in this game they end up shipping. But at least they might actually notice it.

Because really the license was long 'paid' for and any good will of note was likely written off by some accounting department somewhere. It is like a free license, and with no pesty licensor wanting to vette the game concept or details. But if they actually thought it was -costing- them sales, then they'd take notice. Right now the vast majority of the reactions i'm seeing is that it really isn't costing them anything at all to use the Shadowrun name on this game they were likely going to create in some form anyway.
Kagetenshi
Maybe athros sees something in the game that I don't, or maybe I'm really just blinded with rage by what they're calling "Shadowrun", but you're right—using the Shadowrun name on a game as bad as it looks to me like this one will be is indeed not doing anything the game itself wouldn't have done.

Of course, the fact that I've got a strict (though broken exactly once) rule against buying Windows games and don't plan to ever own an XBox of any form means they'd already lost me. What I can do, though, is encourage other people not to buy the game.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012