Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Snipers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
ADMIN:Agreed, let's keep this along SR lines guys. We're getting a bit far a field here. Reminding me of the RL vs SR magic thread.

I disagree. The root of the question is about base damage of a pistol vs. a rifle in game. A debate about the real life qualities of both weapons is inevitable, and even necessary given the stated purpose of designing a system to use in game.
fistandantilus4.0
I've been following this thread a while, and everyones done a good job of keeping things coming back around after tangents and listing references. As I said, I just want to make sure it doesn't wander off like the thread I mentioned.
Fortune
But you've basically brought the hammer down on what was otherwise a lively and informative debate on weapon damage, which did directly relate to an in-game facet of Shadowrun. That may not have been your intention, but an Admin post such as yours on this forum carries a lot of weight.
fistandantilus4.0
No hammer intended. I'd prefer to say something just as a reminder before things go off.
Fortune
And no disrespect intended either. I would have taken this to a PM, but figured I'd keep it public, as I'd prefer that the discussion in question not be stifled. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
NP, like I said, lets keep the thread rollin' spin.gif
zero skill LPB
I like this thread. I like reading scary, scary gun stats.

Ultimately, any changes that would make guns more real a.k.a more lethal (without addressing the other inter-related systems) won't make the game more fun (for me and my players). Watching lovingly-crafted 400 BP characters die in their first firefight != fun (for me and my players).

Zen Shooter01
Austere:

I'm not saying no science. I'm saying look at it game-end first.

Debate may exist about the exact ballistics, but we gunslingers (you, kzt, Granddad Raygun, Fortune, and myself) all agree that rifles should get better penetration than handguns. We all agree that SMGs should get damage very similar to pistols, because real SMGs, by definition, fire pistol ammunition. We all agree that .308 Winchester hits harder than 5.56 Remington.

It's these kind of broad strokes that are easily translated into game mechanic improvements. But going over pictures of shot-up ballistics gelatin like we're Fox Mulder looking for an ET is just an invitation to a battle of minutia without much game application.
Clyde
I think it's interesting to note that in terms of damage value, the differences between classes of handguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles and shotguns is the minimum possible amount.
eidolon
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
But going over pictures of shot-up ballistics gelatin like we're Fox Mulder looking for an ET is just an invitation to a battle of minutia without much game application.

This has long been my stance on the matter. You just phrased it better than I've ever bothered to.

I enjoy reading posts by the gurus, but when it comes down to playing the game, the system works just fine for me. That's not everyone's opinion, obviously, but it's mine.

That said, more gelatin please. wink.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 18 2006, 05:38 PM)
Yawing only allows an assault rifle bullet to increase the permanent wound cavity caused to about the same measures as the .45 roundnose solid for a portion of the distance penetrated -- the area covered by the side of an M855 is roughly equal in size to the frontal area of a .45.

Can you show me how many SOCOM units have decided to throw away their worthless M4s and M14s and go with the M3 grease gun in the awe inspiring .45 ACP?

Given how ineffective you say 5.56 and 7.62 mm bullets are isn't it odd how operators who can pretty much buy any gun in the world to use in combat buy 7.62-5.56mm rifles as their main weapon and only transition to a .45 pistols when their real weapon breaks? There must be a reason why they don’t throw away their rifles as soon as they enter a building.

I suspect it has a lot to do with people who get shot with rifles tending to fall down and stop shooting back faster and more often than people shot by pistols. What's your theory?
mfb
QUOTE (kzt)
I suspect it has a lot to do with people who get shot with rifles tending to fall down and stop shooting back faster and more often than people shot by pistols. What's your theory?

his theory is probably that people who get shot at by rifles stand a higher chance of getting hit and falling down than people who get shot at by pistols. if you want to compare wound potential, let's look at how many modern units who arm themselves with large-bore muskets. though, to be fair, lack of availability for the Brown Bess probably factors into it.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)

his theory is probably that people who get shot at by rifles stand a higher chance of getting hit and falling down than people who get shot at by pistols.

if you want to compare wound potential, let's look at how many modern units who arm themselves with large-bore muskets. though, to be fair, lack of availability for the Brown Bess probably factors into it.

I specified indoors. At 15 feet the difference in hit probability is not that great if you are trained. And SR mechanics don't reflect any difference in hit probability. Should it? At what point?

And I'll take a 12 gauge shotgun over a muzzle loading musket any day. Slugs are bigger and I can reliably hit a man sized target at 100 meters with them, which isn't exactly likely with a musket. And the follow up shot is so much faster. nyahnyah.gif
Clyde
Assault rifle ammunition is already a compromise. Stopping power is not its only concern - it must also provide for controllable recoil (especially in bursts or fully automatic fire), accuracy, light weight, reliability (feeding, firing and extracting), availability and cost. NATO standard ammunition has to pass through many layers of bureaucracy, as well. Add to that the difficulty in accurately assessing terminal ballistics (if it were a real science, everyone would be using pretty much the same ammo by now).

Pistol ammo is just as much of a compromise (if not more).

.45 ACP lacks accuracy at longer ranges. It doesn't matter how hard the bullet wallops a bad guy if you can't connect with it at the ranges you expect. 5.56mm is not the most impressive man stopper in the world - but it provides far superior range than any .45 ACP option I've ever heard of. Fired from an assault rifle platform, the 5.56mm is also quite controllable and it is light enough for one soldier to carry several hundred rounds. A few percentage points difference in one shot stops doesn't much matter compared to the .45's basically zero percent effectiveness past 100 meters, especially given the ability to fire bursts. A man struck in the head or torso by either weapon is likely to stop posing any serious threat - although there can be exceptions. I do recall reading somewhere that one of the design criteria for .45 ACP was that it be able to stop a man or his horse with a single shot (most militaries still had horse cavalry in 1911, after all).
mfb
i don't see anything about indoors in your previous post. at any rate, the reason rifles firing rifle rounds are generally preferred is that they are more versatile, range-wise. in a pinch, you can use a full-sized rifle in close quarters fighting; you're at a severe disadvantage, however, trying to use a pistol or SMG chambered for pistol rounds in a long-range engagement. moreover, a rifle round is better able to punch through armor and barriers, because it's so much faster. none of that has anything at all to do with the ability of the round to cause damage to living beings--it just means that the rifle round can deliver its damage in a wider range of conditions than a pistol round can. or a shotgun round, if you like.

in answer to the specific question of why units don't use the M3A1 "Grease Gun": why in the world would anyone do that, when they have access to the UMP?
kzt
QUOTE (Clyde)
I do recall reading somewhere that one of the design criteria for .45 ACP was that it be able to stop a man or his horse with a single shot (most militaries still had horse cavalry in 1911, after all).

I've also read that in actual use the .45 wasn't really much better than the .38 in stopping enraged tribesmen. The only gun in the Thompson-LaGard tests that actually killed steers effectively was apparently a 7.65 mm luger. (Yeah, that's a renowned manstopper! spin.gif )

Expecting that a single bullet (any bullet, but particularly a pistol bullet) will do the trick against someone motivated to kill you seems like a pretty good way of avoiding the need for retirement planning. biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (kzt)
Given how ineffective you say 5.56 and 7.62 mm bullets are isn't it odd how operators who can pretty much buy any gun in the world to use in combat buy 7.62-5.56mm rifles as their main weapon and only transition to a .45 pistols when their real weapon breaks?

As others pointed out above, it's not all about wounding potential. We can both think of a wide variety of weapons that will outperform any assault rifle calibers by a mile when it comes to that, and yet specops operators don't want anything to do with those.

My point isn't that assault rifles are hugely ineffective at killing people, but rather that all handguns aren't. The fact that the volume of the permanent cavity from a .45 ACP FMJ fired through a human torso is likely to be greater than that from a 5.45x39mm, 5.56x45mm or 7.62x39mm FMJ that doesn't deform or fragment makes that point rather well, I think.

In game terms: I see the .45 ACP and 5.56x45mm as having equal DVs with certain ammunition justifiable by their real-world performance. With the right ammunition the assault rifle calibers should perhaps manage higher DVs than a .45 ACP, but other handgun calibers could easily match them -- in other words, no need to drop the .44 Magnum DV.

QUOTE (kzt)
I've also read that in actual use the .45 wasn't really much better than the .38 in stopping enraged tribesmen.

I'm sure with similar studies one would find 60mm mortar shells "stop" people just as well as 107mm ones. smile.gif Incidentally, I guess that's the sort of ordnance you'd need to "stop" horses -- equines not being particularly vulnerable to being disabled by psychological means, and 700kg @ 40km/h making for quite a lot of momentum to negate with a handgun...
Zen Shooter01
Actually, Austere, it takes a lot of specialized training to make a cavalry horse. I can drive your garden variety animal into a frenzy of fear by setting off a few firecrackers.
Austere Emancipator
I suppose that's no more silly a definition of "stopping power" than any other. biggrin.gif

(Having just read up on Agincourt and Waterloo, I am under no illusions about how horses act in battle.)
Zen Shooter01
Hey, does anybody know if the HK UMP will be or is available in a civilian semiauto version?
Zen Shooter01
Oops, never mind.

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index.jsp?l...&PartNumber=UMP
kzt
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Oct 19 2006, 09:30 AM)
Oops, never mind.

Wasn't that the USC, which was dropped from the US market due to bad sales?
Zen Shooter01
You're the second person to tell me it was dropped. Hmm...too bad. Looks nice. I was tempted by the Berretta Storm, but I couldn't get past that 8 rnd .45 magazine.
lorechaser
So what's the dv on something like this?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (lorechaser)
So what's the dv on something like this?

Doesn't matter what DV you give it, because someone will just come along and claimed that we've nerfed the rules for it.
mfb
sinners go to hell when they die, RunnerPaul. hell.
RunnerPaul
I've known what the final destination on my itinerary has been for a while now. At this point, I'm just trying to get my seat upgraded from coach to first class.
TheOneRonin
Has anyone come up with decent rules for trying to use a "sniper rifle" in CQC, or for the difficulty involved in switching targets when using a high-power scope?
Raygun
The rule I made had more to do with movement in general.
kzt
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Has anyone come up with decent rules for trying to use a "sniper rifle" in CQC, or for the difficulty involved in switching targets when using a high-power scope?

Nope. But the trick is don't use the scope. If he's in the same room you'd better off aligining the top of the scope tube and taking a quick shot, then having your observer shoot him with his AR as required.
mfb
one of the applicable ideas i had was for firearms to apply a negative reach value while they're being used as firearms (ie, if you're not actively making melee attacks with 'em). something like -1 for SMGs, -2 for ARs, and -3 for sniper rifles and heavy weapons.
Faelan
Well I guess I have to add my two cents.

1) What an operator utilizes in the field is mission specific. It is not determined by some sort of hierarchy of ballistics and one shot stopping power.
2) US Special Forces utilize weapons in 5.56mm and 7.62mm almost entirely because of something called NATO. It is simply the standardized rounds utilized by most of Europe, all US forces, and a multitude of other countries. If for instance you are in theater doing long range patrols, assisting friendly insurgent groups, or other missions where you will be relying on airdrops the last thing you want to do is confuse the issue by adding uncommon rounds.
3) The .45 is the standard sidearm for most special ops outfits I know of. Keyword being sidearm. A pistol in the military is 99% of the time your last option.
4) .308 is the standard for sniper rifles utilized by HRT teams due to its extremely flat trajectory. Where you aim is where you will hit. This is not necessarily true with many rounds at different ranges. The .338 lapua is mostly popular as a military sniper weapon where most missions involve essentially just killing an individual vis killing them without harming the hostage he has. Additionally an immediate kill is not necessary. In other words if he is dead 15 seconds later because he bled out that is fine, but in a HRT situation you need an immediate kill or he might still spray hostages. So the .308 offers the best chance of that occuring due to its pinpoint accuracy in the right hands.
5) The weapon type is mission specific, and often team member specific. I want to keep things quiet, cqb environment, avoid unwanted collateral damage chances are its time to bust out an MP5SD3 and go to town. Expecting to be engaging enemies at medium to long ranges I definitely want to upgrade to carbines or assault rifles. Need pinpoint accuracy at long ranges jum over to bolt action rifles. It all depends on what you will be doing, pick the tool that will be best for your mission in the most possible situations.
6) Snipers are very dependent on good Intel. If the target is not where or when he is supposed to be somewhere, the opportunity will be missed. So when talking about Snipers in Shadowrun we are mostly talking about a sharpshooter that a team is either using to cover its exit, assist with entry by taking out guards, and generally providing a sort of overwatch of extremely accurate fire. Additionally this sharpshooter is probably not making any shots of over 500yds due to LOS issues. Lastly it is doubtful they are using a real dedicated sniping tool. Chances are they are using an accurized, closed bolt, gas operated, magazine fed, rifle with a scope. (If I got any of that wrong please tell me.)
7) Utilizing this sort of weapon in CQB is certainly not a desirable option, however there are several techniques together that can assist you and increase your survival rate (this is a prime situation as to why a sidearm is useful, sometimes). a) depending on the model and construction of the gun you can often underarm the buttstock, b) lower your head to the side to line up with the barrel, c) extend your non trigger hand to the side of the barrel, and us it to point. This method effectively shortens most rifles about 12 inches making them much more wieldy in confined quarters. Also point and shoot or instinctive firing techniques from an underarm position can be accurate on average out to 25yds. Another method when dealing with a scoped rifle in a situation where you have a little mor room is to aim over the scope using your non trigger hand on the barrel. Us your buunda finger to point at the target. With a little practice you can regularly hit targets at 100 yds., though this technique is very effective under 50 yds. If you are lugging around a bolt action sniper rifle and need to use it for CQB my recommendation is kill someone right quick and take their weapon. Also do not try an underarm technique with really highpowered rifles you will jack yourself up.

Anyway I am done with my two cents.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Faelan)
Well I guess I have to add my two cents.

1) What an operator utilizes in the field is mission specific.  It is not determined by some sort of hierarchy of ballistics and one shot stopping power.

In my experience, "mission specific needs" for weapon systems are usually influenced by ballistic performance. But YMMV.

2) US Special Forces utilize weapons in 5.56mm and 7.62mm almost entirely because of something called NATO.  It is simply the standardized rounds utilized by most of Europe, all US forces, and a multitude of other countries.  If for instance you are in theater doing long range patrols, assisting friendly insurgent groups, or other missions where you will be relying on airdrops the last thing you want to do is confuse the issue by adding uncommon rounds.

You would likely find extensive use of indigenous ammo/weapon systems such as the 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.

3) The .45 is the standard sidearm for most special ops outfits I know of.  Keyword being sidearm.  A pistol in the military is 99% of the time your last option.

So if a pistol is your last option, what about the Army's OHWS program?

4) .308 is the standard for sniper rifles utilized by HRT teams due to its extremely flat trajectory.
<emphasis mine>

With a 100 yard zero, a .308 (Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip) will experience a 3.6 inch drop from the point of aim on a 200 yard target. That doesn't sound like a flat trajectory to me. Accurate, yes. Flat trajectory, not a chance. You might want to check your sources before you make a statement like that...especially on these boards.

5) The weapon type is mission specific, and often team member specific.  I want to keep things quiet, cqb environment, avoid unwanted collateral damage chances are its time to bust out an MP5SD3 and go to town.  Expecting to be engaging enemies at medium to long ranges I definitely want to upgrade to carbines or assault rifles.  Need pinpoint accuracy at long ranges jump over to bolt action rifles.  It all depends on what you will be doing, pick the tool that will be best for your mission in the most possible situations.

I completely agree with #5

6) Snipers are very dependent on good Intel.  If the target is not where or when he is supposed to be somewhere, the opportunity will be missed.  So when talking about Snipers in Shadowrun we are mostly talking about a sharpshooter that a team is either using to cover its exit, assist with entry by taking out guards, and generally providing a sort of overwatch of extremely accurate fire.  Additionally this sharpshooter is probably not making any shots of over 500yds due to LOS issues.  Lastly it is doubtful they are using a real dedicated sniping tool.  Chances are they are using an accurized, closed bolt, gas operated, magazine fed, rifle with a scope.  (If I got any of that wrong please tell me.)

In Shadowrun, most assault rifles (with the addition of a bipod and scope) would be very sufficient for the "sharpshooting" role you mentioned. Of course, you can achieve very similar goals with a belt-fed automatic weapon, though with more"ambiance".

7) Utilizing this sort of weapon in CQB is certainly not a desirable option, however there are several techniques ...<snip>

Interesting. I haven't been exposed to those techniques before.

Eben McKay
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
4) .308 is the standard for sniper rifles utilized by HRT teams due to its extremely flat trajectory.
<emphasis mine>

With a 100 yard zero, a .308 (Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip) will experience a 3.6 inch drop from the point of aim on a 200 yard target. That doesn't sound like a flat trajectory to me. Accurate, yes. Flat trajectory, not a chance. You might want to check your sources before you make a statement like that...especially on these boards.

He said extremely flat there. I believe he means that it is much flatter than other bullets' trajectories. Of course, I have no idea whether or not a 3.6 inch drop over 200 yards is better or worse than other rifle rounds.

There's no such thing as an absolutely flat trajectory unless you're talking lasers.

/nitpick
Eryk the Red
Even with lasers, you've got gravity and magnetic fields... but I'm just nitpicking. wink.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Eben McKay)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Nov 1 2006, 09:38 AM)
<emphasis mine>

He said extremely flat there. I believe he means that it is much flatter than other bullets' trajectories. Of course, I have no idea whether or not a 3.6 inch drop over 200 yards is better or worse than other rifle rounds.

There's no such thing as an absolutely flat trajectory unless you're talking lasers.

/nitpick

http://www.snipercentral.com/338.htm

Check out the trajectory chart about halfway down the page. Notice the trajectory of the .308. I don't think a single shooter in his right mind would call that "extremely flat".

Maybe "extremely flat" in comparison to 9mm and .45 ACP when fired at targets under 25 meters. Yeah, that must have been what he meant.

Faelan
In my experience, "mission specific needs" for weapon systems are usually influenced by ballistic performance. But YMMV.

In my experience the choices to pick from are limited. I guess what I was really trying to say was that "One shot" stopping power is in reality a myth. The base qualities of the rounds are also affected by the weapon systems they are used in. The weight of the rounds and how many I can carry are more important to me than analyzing fps and trying to figure out if I will get a one shot insta kill, 9 times out of 10 that won't happen. So yes overall ballistic performance matters for determining the best tool for the mission, but the minutiae of ballistics only matter when we are talking HRT where different loads will affect accuracy at different ranges.

You would likely find extensive use of indigenous ammo/weapon systems such as the 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm

Quite true and very dependent on the logistics involved. We have supplied many an insurgency with American weapons. The Soviets werent the only ones spreading around good cheer.

So if a pistol is your last option, what about the Army's OHWS program?

What of it? A pistol is a sidearm. Useful at short ranges. Silencing, tac lights, etc. are just options available for it, I can think of a handful of situations where it might become your primary. Most of the time you wont find people using it with all options. The HK Mark 23 is rarely used, because it is a heavy pig. Most actually use accurized 1911's.

True and I can go dig for loads that rise at 100 yds and have 0 drop at 200 yards. Or extreme rise followed by a 0 drop at 600 yds. The round you picked is optimized for 100 yds. I guess I should have said ballistically reliable, stable, predictable, relatively flat in comparison to other rounds.

I completely agree with #5

Thanks

In Shadowrun, most assault rifles (with the addition of a bipod and scope) would be very sufficient for the "sharpshooting" role you mentioned. Of course, you can achieve very similar goals with a belt-fed automatic weapon, though with more"ambiance".

But please no M249 SAWs. The damn extractor dies quick on these and then you have a ratata clunk cha clunk rata chunk. A glorified club.

Interesting. I haven't been exposed to those techniques before.

They are essentially instinctive shooting for assault rifles. Sometimes you just have to make due with what is on hand, and you are stuck with a tool that is not ideal for the job.
TheOneRonin
In my experience the choices to pick from are limited.  I guess what I was really trying to say was that "One shot" stopping power is in reality a myth.  The base qualities of the rounds are also affected by the weapon systems they are used in.  The weight of the rounds and how many I can carry are more important to me than analyzing fps and trying to figure out if I will get a one shot insta kill, 9 times out of
10 that won't happen.  So yes overall ballistic performance matters for determining the best tool for the mission, but the minutiae of ballistics only matter when we are talking HRT where different loads will affect accuracy at different ranges.

Sure, the 1-shot stop for small arms is indeed a myth. That's not what I was talking about. You seem to be confusing "terminal ballistics" with "ballistics". I'm talking about how different types of ammunition perform at different ranges. Choosing a .308 instead of a .223 because you will be engaging targets beyond 500m is a decision influenced by the ballistics of the cartridge.

True and I can go dig for loads that rise at 100 yds and have 0 drop at 200 yards.  Or extreme rise followed by a 0 drop at 600 yds.  The round you picked is optimized for 100 yds.  I guess I should have said ballistically reliable, stable, predictable, relatively flat in comparison to other rounds.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm
http://www.snipercentral.com/338.htm

Also, I gave an example of projectile droppage with a 100 yard zero. If your zero is 200 yards, or 600 yards, you won't have any droppage at that range. Look at the ballistic table on the second link.

But please no M249 SAWs.  The damn extractor dies quick on these and then you have a ratata clunk cha clunk rata chunk.  A glorified club.

Agreed on the SAW.

I was thinking more of this, this, or this.
Critias
I think it's worth pointing out that, in Shadowrun at least, "close quarters" fighting (with even the most unwieldy sniper rifle) can bypass a lot of real-life rifle problems thanks to smartlinks. When you feel like the weapon's an extension of your body, the balance and length might not be quite so clumsy in a tight hallway any more. When you see (due to a cybereye image link) where it's pointed at all times, trying to line up the sights or use a scope indoors isn't such a problem, etc, etc.

EDIT TO ADD -- almost forgot. One neat way (though wholly against canon) to make a "sharpshooter" in Shadowrun is to (with your GM's permission) just change a weapon's type (and, in so doing, it's range modifiers). Ask if you can "accurize" an existing assault rifle by removing burst fire capability (or at the very least full auto), and swapping it to use the "rifle" range chart instead. Shell out two or three times the price of the rifle to do so, and call it good. Voila.
eidolon
Lining it up and aiming aren't the only issues to be concerned with, though. You also have the problem of weapon length. SL isn't going to do much for you if you catch the barrel on a door frame as you're bringing it to bear. smile.gif
Exodus
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Oct 17 2006, 12:57 AM)
On a personal note here, when someone says "sniper" I tend to automatically think military. Back in the day I used to manage a pizza joint in Dallas that a lot of the PD tactical team guys frequented. I got into a discussion one day with one of them (happened to be Raul Moreno, who you can occasionally see on Dallas SWAT on A&E these days) and he made a point to tell me that they don't like to refer to their sharpshooters as "snipers". Apparently it's because of the negative connotation the term draws with the public. So since then, sniper = military to me and that's why I kind of limited the scope of my post a bit.

Indeed. "Sniper" tends to be the traditional "at most a two man team, spotter and a shooter, stalking their kill in ghillie suits for days or weeks and pooping into a diaper while they lay prone" blah blah blah sort of thing. "Sharpshooter" and even "Designated Marksman" come off as just just "guy who's supposed to shoot his rifle more accurately, and at greater distances, than the other guys he's hanging out with." Be it a SWAT team or an infantry unit in the military.

"Sniper" means an awful lot more than "guy with a rifle." The media gets that wrong all the time, too.

well also take into consideration that there is a difference between sharpshooters and snipers as well. A sniper is a guy that sits there for hours and takes only one shot. A sharpshooter on the other hand tries to get as many shots off as he can before he has to run.
Faelan
Oh why is typing so much harder than talking at least for me smile.gif

Anyway point taken on the zero's I was reading the charts wrong, that will show me for not being up to speed anymore on my rifle rounds. Of course nowadays all I really get to fire is handguns. With rifles I was a big stickler on being good with straight iron sights using a battlesight zero which varies but most units set it at 300m. The only times I cared about ranges was during competition, qualification, or anytime I was using a scope.

M240G is a sweet piece. I would regularly pump through 40,000 rounds a week on a line of 12 guns. In a year I could practically count the number of jams on both hands. Reliable as heck.
Asheron
My preferred sniper team would be a spy satellite and a Tomahawk missile.

i mean, no threat to personnel(sp?), better range, and much more lethal.
kzt
QUOTE (Asheron)
My preferred sniper team would be a spy satellite and a Tomahawk missile.

That has its drawbacks. They tried to get Saddam and OBL with this, each multiple times. Without success.

The resolution, acquisition, response and launch time, and time of flight make it very hard to target an individual who is aggressive about their personal safety. It's great for blowing up a fixed site however.
Zen Shooter01
The real sniper deal these days is a Predator UAV armed with Hellfires. I love those things.
Raygun
QUOTE (Exodus)
well also take into consideration that there is a difference between sharpshooters and snipers as well.  A sharpshooter is a guy that sits there for hours and if he has to take a shot at all, usually takes only one shot from relatively short range. A sniper on the other hand uses stealth to get well into enemy-held territory and tries to get as many shots off as necessary from relatively long range, which gives his team some time to relocate and evade capture after the shots have been fired.

Hate to jump on the "fixed that for you" bandwagon, but I fixed that for you. smile.gif

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
The real sniper deal these days is a Predator UAV armed with Hellfires. I love those things.

Have you seen that video going around of the Predator designating some shitheads planting an IED while an F16 drops a 500 pounder on their heads?
Austere Emancipator
Boom.
Zen Shooter01
That's just not cost effective. Sling some kind of laser-guided AP munition on the Predator and do the same job for half the cost, if that.

But, yeah. Gotcha. love.gif
Austere Emancipator
The Hellfire-Cs fired by MQ-1 and MQ-9 Predators cost about $100,000 bucks a pop, while a 500lb GBU sets (bomb, computer control, fin assembly) are procured by the USAF at about $15,000/unit. Arming, fueling and piloting an F16C to the target and back might be a lot more expensive than that, but if there's a plane patrolling the area already it might actually be more cost effective to LGB their asses than to pick them off with an AGM-114.
Zen Shooter01
Really? Shows what I know. How about an MG?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012