Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Snipers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Zen Shooter01
Come on, Austere...think about D20. That's realism wink.gif
PlainWhiteSocks
QUOTE (kzt)

Also I have seen multiple references to Siera MatchKing (aka M118) bullets fragmenting much more than US 7.62 FMJ due to to the much thinner jacket.  Can't find any profiles however.

The Matchkings are also all hollowpoints. Might have something to do with the fragmenting. Like most match grade bullets they use a thinner jacket. Personally I really like them for fun shooting.

I loaded some rounds for my friends 30'06 using these 150gr BTHP Sierra Matchking. He got the ammo confused and took them on a hunting trip. The deer was shot at approx. 120yards just behind the front right leg. Beautiful shot overall, but as Raygun said what a mess. The exit hole was about the size of my fist.

kzt
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
I was tinkering with one, but decided to wait until Arsenal came out.

What in particular?

My thought was reducing the DV of pistols (all, including MPs) by one and increasing the DV of longarms (+2 to ARs/LMGs, +3 MMGS/Hunting rifles/sniper, +4 to HMG/heavy sniper). Get rid of AP factor for pistols/SMGs.

Changes to the ammo and the stupid telescopic sight/vision mag rules would also help, but you could get some useful effects by changing just the table. Even the most extensive fixes that I'd want to do wouldn't require real mechanics changes IIRC, just equipment notes.

The armor penetration=damage bit is too embedded to be fixed without a total overhaul, so I'd just let it go.
Zen Shooter01
Well, here's what I've got so far. I wanted to err on the side of simplicity and playability rather than realistic complexity, while still making SR4 guns recognizable shadows of real ones.

This is preliminary thinking with only a few common cartridges.

The idea is that damage is derived from the cartridge, modified by barrel length and special attributes of the cartridge (APDS, etc.)

Handgun Cartridges
Damage-
5.7mm: 3P AP -2
9x19mm: 4P AP -1
.40 S&W: 5P AP -1
.45 ACP: 6P
.44 Magnum: 7P AP -1

Modified by weapon type-
Small pistol (3 inch barrel or less): -1 DV
Standard pistol (4 to 6 inch barrel): No change
Carbine/SMG (6 inch+ barrel): +1 DV

Modified by special attributes of cartridge-
APDS: -1 DV, -4 AP
Hollow Points: +1 DV, +2 AP
Explosive: +1 DV
EX-Explosive +2 DV

Thusly, a 1911-A1 (standard pistol) firing .45 ACP (6P) hollow points (+1 DV, +2 AP) gets 7P +2 AP.
A Glock compact (small pistol, -1 DV) firing 9x19 ball (4P -1 AP) gets 3P -1 AP.

Rifles
Cartridges:
5.56mm: 6P -2 AP
7.62x39mm: 8P -2 AP

Weapon type:
Carbine: -1 DV

Ammunition Type:
Same as handguns.

Antimaterial Rifles:
Cartridges:
.50 BMG: 10P -4 AP
25mm: 15P -4 AP

Ammunition Type:
Same as handguns.
kzt
Reasonable. Maybe a bit more complex than I'd do. And I think the handguns still get too high and the longarms start too low. It's a lot more likely you'll surviving being shot with a .45 hardball than an AR-15. (Think of the DC sniper, where they shot 13 people with a single shot, killing 10.)
dog_xinu
What are the common real world sniper calibers?

I use 30'06 which i think is .762 my budy has a sweet 7mm. These are common hunting rifles but do millitary snipers use them? I'm pretty sure .308 is a common sniper calibur but I'm not aware of any "assault rifles" in the .308.

30'06, .762, .308, there are several. Police use .308 a lot. .50cal is used by military's special snipers. Military is big on 30 caliber rounds too.

as for .308 assualt rifles, look at the AR-10. Think AR-15/M-16 but it is .308. Nice weapon, much more kick than the .223/5.56 M-16/AR-15. But it is still very coontrollable.

Reasonable. Maybe a bit more complex than I'd do. And I think the handguns still get too high and the longarms start too low. It's a lot more likely you'll surviving being shot with a .45 hardball than an AR-15. (Think of the DC sniper, where they shot 13 people with a single shot, killing 10.)

.45 generally will kill someone and if it doesnt it will make it feel like you wished you were dead. Now your comments about the DC snipers, if they would have shot them with the .45, they would have died too. Sniping is not about the round but the "how you hit" your targets. But then again you are comparing apples to oranges. rifle rounds and handgun rounds are not the same.

and yes, I know way too much about this.

dog

Zen Shooter01
The idea was that I would go on to give new stats according to this system to every SR firearm. But if the GM decided he wanted a .45 ACP semiautomatic carbine (the Beretta Storm), he could easily put together the damage on one.

I'd also give base concealability for each barrel length eventually.

Raygun
QUOTE (kzt)
It's a lot more likely you'll surviving being shot with a .45 hardball than an AR-15.

There are a lot of factors to consider in a statement like that, but generally speaking, from the evidence I've seen, I would tend to disagree with it.

(Think of the DC sniper, where they shot 13 people with a single shot, killing 10.)

All shot in the head, IIRC.
kzt
QUOTE (dog_xinu)
.45 generally will kill someone and if it doesnt it will make it feel like you wished you were dead.  Now your comments about the DC snipers, if they would have shot them with the .45, they would have died too.  Sniping is not about the round but the "how you hit" your targets.  But then again you are comparing apples to oranges.  rifle rounds and handgun rounds are not the same.

The DC "snipers" were mediocre shots, barely trained shooters is more like it. They generally got torso hits. If you think that 77% of the time you shoot someone with a .45 in the abdomen or chest that they will fall down and die you are in something of a minority.

In terms of rifle and pistol rounds not being the same, I agree. However your ratings show them doing the same damage.

There really isn't that much difference seen in real gunfights between 9mm, .40 and .45 when used with modern ammo. Given the narrow range of DV values available I'd go for simplicity and just rank them all as mediocre, DV 4 or 3. (There is a reason why people get trained to shoot two to the chest, and to keep shooting when he doesn't fall down).

Trying to show some sort of difference in DV when (to grab an example I'm familiar with) the difference between a Glock 27 and 23 is 38 FPS (935 vs 968) seems to be pushing things. Functionally, the bullets will do the same thing. (and a Glock 26/29 in 9mm/.40SW has a 3.46" barrel). The mistake I've seen SR make in the past is trying to come up with a list of different guns by varying stats. In game terms, there isn't any difference between a .40 and .45, or between a .25 and .32. I'd agree that there is some difference (like 1 DV) that the game can show between a .25 and .45, but the DV range you can use for pistols is really small if you want rifles to do the much greater damage they really do without being instant death every time. Basically, pistols suck at stopping bad guys without getting a CNS hit, but they are mighty portable.

A drawback of SR is the lack of a hit location system, particularly as virtually all the armors provide only partial coverage and things like cyberlimbs react differently to being shot than the meat part of the target. And it's hard to argue shot placement when it's applied to a generic target with “average” armor. This seems to require more than minor changes to a table however. frown.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Well, here's what I've got so far. <snip>

Oh yeah. That's why I love the SR weapons system. wink.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Raygun)

All shot in the head, IIRC.

Nope. They were barely mediocre shooters. These were at 50-100 yards.

Fatally shot in the head in the parking lot of the beauty store she managed.
Fatally shot in the chest while pumping gas at a Mobil station.
Fatally shot in the neck while sitting on a bench at a shopping center
Fatally shot in the back while vacuuming her minivan at a Shell station.
Fatally shot in the chest while standing near an intersection.
Shot in the back in the parking lot of a Michaels crafts store.
Shot in the abdomen outside Benjamin Tasker Middle School.
Fatally shot in the back while pumping gas at a Sunoco station.
Fatally shot in the back while pumping gas at an Exxon station.
Fatally shot in the head in the parking lot of a Home Depot.
Shot in the abdomen outside a Ponderosa Steakhouse.
Fatally shot in the chest while standing in the stairwell of his bus.
Clyde
None of this discussion of lethality even begins to approach the wide range of human responses possible to a gunshot wound. Sometimes an individual can be stopped by fright, surprise or shock from a wound that turns out to be superficial. Other times, an individual can function for several seconds or minutes with a fatal, devastating injury. Frequently, individuals with fatal gunshot wounds enter the hospital under their own power. Even body armor can behave in funny ways. Sometimes an individual will take a hit that his armor stops, but will fall down and suffer considerable pain. Other times, it's only after the firefight is over that a hit is even noticed.

I don't think the problem is that SR's combat system is too coarse or simplistic. Rather, I think it's just focused on the wrong thing. Combat is a human endeavor - it's defining characteristics are primarily psychological: the fight or flight response, with a healthy dose of guilt, post-traumatic stress disorder and just plain terror. If SR focused on the human factors in battle (killing disposition, shock, surprise, perception, adrenaline, fear, anger, etc.), I think the combats would work out even if the rules paid virtually no attention to the hardware.
krayola red
I don't think it matters. While those are all factors that play an important role in any combat scenario, they're factors that vary continuously and significantly for each individual character, to such a degree that they would be impossible to represent with a unified and reasonably simplistic ruleset. Even more importantly, these aren't the kinds of things that are supposed to be covered by the rules, since they're part of the roleplaying experience as a whole. Delegating them to the dice would take all the fun out of 'em.
kzt
QUOTE (krayola red)
I don't think it matters. While those are all factors that play an important role in any combat scenario, they're factors that vary continuously and significantly for each individual character, to such a degree that they would be impossible to represent with a unified and reasonably simplistic ruleset. Even more importantly, these aren't the kinds of things that are supposed to be covered by the rules, since they're part of the roleplaying experience as a whole. Delegating them to the dice would take all the fun out of 'em.

The players are roleplaying. For the GM with a pack of NPCs it can be useful. Very few crooks will really fight to the death when they can flee and discussing that, and why they will, can be useful. There are similar issues that come up in whether the fight will start, or do they back down. Dice can be a useful randomizer when the outcome is both not obvious and not predetermined by the plot.
Raygun
QUOTE (kzt)
Fatally shot in the head in the parking lot of the beauty store she managed.
Fatally shot in the chest while pumping gas at a Mobil station.
Fatally shot in the neck while sitting on a bench at a shopping center
Fatally shot in the back while vacuuming her minivan at a Shell station.
Fatally shot in the chest while standing near an intersection.
Shot in the abdomen outside Benjamin Tasker Middle School.
Fatally shot in the back while pumping gas at a Sunoco station.
Fatally shot in the back while pumping gas at an Exxon station.
Fatally shot in the head in the parking lot of a Home Depot.
Shot in the abdomen outside a Ponderosa Steakhouse.
Fatally shot in the chest while standing in the stairwell of his bus.

Hmm. Not that my impression was based on anything more than news reports of the time... Source?

If you think that 77% of the time you shoot someone with a .45 in the abdomen or chest that they will fall down and die you are in something of a minority.

Pffft. The entirety of the data you're using to support your conclusion is based on 13 incidents of civilians being sniped at while unaware. A meaningful conclusion this cannot make. I don't believe the .223/5.56 produces a "fall down and die" rate anywhere near that considering just a slightly larger sample...

The best data I can find for the .45 ACP is Marshall & Sanow's (can't be any less scientific than your own, right?). It shows the .45 ACP 230 FMJ as producing a "one shot stop" rate of 63% (here). That data, while often maligned, is based on hundreds of police reports and ballistics test. Not that that really makes it any better than your conclusion. It's all thoroughly unscientific and the margin of error is certainly large enough for me to consider it fairly useless.
kzt
QUOTE (Raygun)

Hmm. Not that my impression was based on anything more than news reports of the time... Source?
[snip]
The best data I can find for the .45 ACP is Marshall & Sanow's (can't be any less scientific than your own, right?). It shows the .45 ACP 230 FMJ as producing a "one shot stop" rate of 63% (

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-muham...ack=1&cset=true

Marshall & Sanow’s bullet sales brochures are really questionable for many reasons. But they are not unreasonable general guides as to effectiveness. But look up their one-stop shot number for rifles and compare it to pistols. It's 100% for several 5.56/.233 rounds. (or it was back when Dale Towert had his page up and when Frackler reviewed "Street Stoppers". http://www.firearmstactical.com/streetstoppers.htm I can't find anywhere on the net where it still hides.)

Rifles are really much more effective than pistols for shutting down the bad guy. But the guy I know who was in the most gunfights makes a point to his students that the ONLY one shot stop he ever got was an NVA company commander he hit in the chest with a .50 machine gun bullet. Everyone else took multiple hits, whether it was a 9mm pistol, a .45, an MP5, an M16, a shotgun etc.
krayola red
QUOTE (kzt)
The players are roleplaying. For the GM with a pack of NPCs it can be useful.  Very few crooks will really fight to the death when they can flee and discussing that, and why they will, can be useful.  There are similar issues that come up in whether the fight will start, or do they back down.  Dice can be a useful randomizer when the outcome is both not obvious and not predetermined by the plot.

The GM rolling dice to randomize his own spins on the game has absolutely nothing to do with the SR combat system. Personally, I don't really see the point in rolling dice for something like this anyway, since it makes much more sense to make a decision based on the NPC's individual personalities rather than the results of your rolls.
Raygun
QUOTE (kzt)
Marshall & Sanow’s bullet sales brochures are really questionable for many reasons.  But they are not unreasonable general guides as to effectiveness. But look up their one-stop shot number for rifles and compare it to pistols. It's 100% for several 5.56/.233 rounds.

If this doesn't convince you that something's amiss, I don't see the point in continuing the conversation.

Rifles are really much more effective than pistols for shutting down the bad guy.

So a .22 LR rifle is "much more effective" than a .357 magnum revolver under all circumstances for "shutting down bad guys"? (See what I'm getting at here?)

It is in no way "a lot more likely" that one would survive "being shot with a .45 hardball" as opposed to "an AR-15" under all circumstances. There are a lot of factors omitted from the statement that could easily make it false. I'd rather not assume what you meant by it, but in almost any way I can imagine (short of the body armor factor), it's arguable. 50-80 grain bullets that basically blow up inside are nice and all (when they blow up), but a .45-caliber hole in and out tends to lead to an awful lot of bleeding. People just dropping and praying to Jesus can't be counted on in either case.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-muham...ack=1&cset=true

Cool. Thanks.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Right. There's absolutely no way you can ever improve on anything combat-related in the game without completely rewriting everything. Good to know.

I didn't say you couldn't improve on it, I said you couldn't make it realistic. You can add in greater and more logical variations between guns and ammo, but you still won't have a realistic combat system. To truly model and codify the things weapons do to a body needs more than a damage meter with a penalty every three boxes.
Austere Emancipator
You claimed that "talking about realistic guns in Shadowrun [is] pointless unless you're proposing an entirely new combat system."

Realism isn't a binary state. Minor house-ruling can make ranged combat in SR more realistic, and this forum can be used to discuss such house rules to make sure they are logical and balanced and, yes, realistic. Talking about realistic guns thus has an obvious point -- unlike complaining about people who talk about guns and realism.
eidolon
QUOTE (Clyde)
I think the combats would work out even if the rules paid virtually no attention to the hardware.

For Clyde and anyone else interested in this idea, I recommend that you check out a little game called Chalk Outlines Waiting to Happen.

It's a rules-lite game by the same guy that wrote Dogs in the Vineyard, and it's totally free. One concept contained within is that the character's skill is what matters, and not the gear/equipment/weapon. It's taken to the extreme, and therefore there are no ratings/stats/rules for weapons. Interesting idea (whether unique to that system or not; actually it's not, Simple 20 uses a similar idea).

If you're interested, you can find it here: Chalk Outlines

/tangent
Fortune
Personally, I love threads on real life guns.

I also don't really mind the guns as portrayed in the Shadowrun RPG, and enjoy threads that discuss them as well.

I just don't think that every single damn thread on either topic has to always devolve into either a bitch session about the lack of accuracy in Shadowrun's portrayal of weapons, or a heated argument about gun control (which luckily hasn't happened yet here). Can't we just all agree that the weapons in the Shadowrun RPG are not at all realistic, and stop complaining about it? Don't get me wrong ... I have no problem with new system suggestions, or various proposed fixes to make things more the way each individual wants the game to be. I just don't understand the constant bitching merely for bitching's sake.
Zen Shooter01
Argument about gun control? What argument? All free men own guns. biggrin.gif

The debate between Raygun and kzt is exactly what I'm trying to avoid with my prototype alternate firearms system. The science of firearms and ballistics is extremely complicated - I'm hoping to create a very playable rules variation that is more realistic than canon. Not forever settle every debate in firearms science.

(That being said - why is .22 Long Rifle considered a rifle round, anyway? Handguns are very commonly chambered for it. What makes a rifle round a rifle round, anyway? That it fits in a rifle? There are rifles chambered for .45 Long Colt. Is that a rifle round? How about .44 Magnum? .500 S&W?)

kzt, I see your point regarding .45 ACP vs. 5.56 Remington. But consider that if .45 ACP were rated at 4P (or if any combat handgun cartridge were, for that matter), then the shooter would need an average of 10 hits to kill the average Body 3 human being wearing no armor, assuming the target rolls one hit to resist damage and obligingly stood still to receive the fire. Thusly, a damage rating of 4P makes one-shot kills almost like a miracle.

But at 6P anyway, two hits on the attack minus two hits to resist damage after reaction and body of 3 dice each gives a total of 6 damage and only a -2 wound penalty.

But if we jack up 5.56 Remington, it starts acting a little too much like a bazooka.

Don't forget also that the 5.56 Remington's AP -2 greatly increases the chances of doing physical damage instead of stun over the .45 ACP.

Anyway, no, it's not perfect and it's never going to be. But I think it's better than the RAW.

Try to look at the issue from the angle of more game, less science. But more science than is currently in the game. smile.gif
Eleazar
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Modified by special attributes of cartridge-
APDS: -1 DV, -4 AP
Hollow Points: +1 DV, +2 AP
Explosive: +1 DV
EX-Explosive +2 DV

Everything looks great except this. Why are you nerfing APDS? If you are going to do that the prices should be changed accordingly for game balance. APDS should be cheaper now that it is less effective. Here is an excerpt from Serbitar's House Rules that explains the dilemma.

"7.3 Ammunition:

Ammunition is really messed up in SR4. Gel and flechette ammo that was supposed to be weak against a lot of armour does not care about armour at all. It gives you +2DV/+2AP and is resisted by impact, though most of the time, impact is 2 points lower than ballistic. One would need 6 points of armour to compensate for the +2DV and it does not matter at all whether you have lot of armour or no armour at all against flechette and gel. Because +2DV/+2AP effectively reduce the armour + body of the target by 4(2*3-2), they are always better than regular ammo. Exexplosive
rounds in SR4 do not only penetrate better than normal rounds, they do outperform APDS, which has higher availability, always, even against heavily armoured targets. This is because the modified DV is compared against the modified armour of
the target. ExEx gives you +2DV/-2AP which effectively results in a difference of 4 points in this comparison, compared to regular ammo. APDS also gives you a difference of 4 (-/-4AP), but APDS only reduces the armour of the target by 4, while ExEX reduces the armour of the target by 2 and give you 2 more damage that needs 6 points of armour for compensation. Thus ExEX gives you an effective armour/body reduction of 8 while APDS is always the worse choice. Just read the electricity damage rules to know why StickNShock was downgraded. Together with the amour reduction this was the overkiller."

There are some grammatical and spelling errors but I think you should get the point. I do like that you removed the -AP from Explosive and EX-Explosive, but the APDS problem still remains and now is actually worse.
Zen Shooter01
Eleazar:

My reasoning was that Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot is basically a steel arrow inside a plastic shell. The shell hits the armor and disintegrates, the little arrow sails on through. But what you end up with actually creating the wound cavity is a pointy, fast-moving projectile that is of significantly smaller caliber than the bullet that delivered it. Hence the -1 DV. Which I thought was a pretty significant downgrade of APDS.

Eleazar
Yes, but now no one in their right mind would choose to even use APDS. The -1 DV is practically equal to the -4 AP. So any benefit you would have gotten from the -4 AP is canceled out by the -1 DV.
Zen Shooter01
Mmm. I see your point. frown.gif
Zen Shooter01
Sort of.

You're thinking in terms of averages, but statistics are statistics and dice are chaos. On the average, those four armor dice would equal one hit. But that means that fifty percent of the time, those four armor dice will produce more than one hit. So, a lot of the time, my version of APDS pays off.

(It also means that a fair good deal of the time, those four armor dice would produce zero successes, and the -AP modifier means nothing.)

And don't forget - as is so often forgotten in these discussions - the convert-to-stun rule. In my system, 9mm ball at 4P AP -1 versus an armor jacket would need four successes to do physical damage. But 9mm APDS would need 1.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Oct 18 2006, 10:37 AM)
Ex-explosive rounds in SR4 do not only penetrate better than normal rounds, they do outperform APDS, which has higher availability, always, even against heavily armoured targets. This is because the modified DV is compared against the modified armour of the target. ExEx gives you +2DV/-2AP which effectively results in a difference of 4 points in this comparison, compared to regular ammo. APDS also gives you a difference of 4 (-/-4AP), but APDS only reduces the armour of the target by 4.

Your forgeting APDS doesn't run the risk of blasting yourself on a glitch like Explosive ammo does.

Also its hard to tell what math you all are using. But it appears you assume every four dice nets a hit.
That is only true when buying its. When you actually roll it comes out to every 3 dice.
On a six sided die there are six possible out comes. A hit happends on the roll of a Five or a Six. Thats two out of six. Or one third the time.
Austere Emancipator
If you intend to have any level of realism with the damage codes, you will have to consider the science of terminal ballistics at the very least on the level Raygun and kzt were talking about it -- which is to say quite superficially.

I will not go through the figures you've suggested in detail, since I guess that's exactly the sort of think you want to avoid... but any particular reason why you'd make the 5.7x28mm penetrates no better than the 9x19mm, .45 ACP penetrates better than either, .44 Magnum penetrates as well as 5.56x45mm, and 7.62x39mm penetrates better than 5.56x45mm?

For the ammo types, keep in mind that 1 DV is worth 3 dice, more or less, so that 3 points of armor penetration balances out with 1 additional DV for pure damage output. At +1 DV/+2 Armor, that would usually make hollowpoints more useful against armored targets too.

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
My reasoning was that Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot is basically a steel arrow inside a plastic shell. The shell hits the armor and disintegrates, the little arrow sails on through.

If it's APDS, then surely the plastic shell strips off the penetrator when it exits the muzzle. For weapons of caliber smaller than .50 BMG, of course, more common are designs where the projectile is enveloped in a jacket just like on most other bullets, like the US M993 and M995 and the Russian equivalents. Also, for small arms, the penetrator is likely to be bullet-shaped if somewhat lengthened, and if you're talking about the high quality stuff especially in the West it will be made of tungsten carbide instead of steel.

In any case, for what it's worth, real world logic justifies the lowered DV.
Jack Kain
In real life they are developing a type of bullet that only behaves as both and armor piercing round and standard ammo. (saw it on discovery channel’s future weapons show)
Now I don’t recall the details but to sum up.
It hits body armor or another hard target and it acts like an armor piercing round.
But when it hits a soft target like flesh it behaves like standard ammo making a larger wound.

Now the problem the military and police often run into with armor piercing is it goes through the target and might hit bystanders. Especially is the target isn’t wearing armor. As I recall though the bullet does not act as both at the same time. It hits flesh its like regular ammo. Hits armor it acts as armor piercing.

So is it really that far fetched that APDS ammo might have a method of countering the normal loss of damage caused by an armor pericing. Concidering they are developing bullets now that would act as two types of ammo depending on that they hit.
kzt
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

kzt, I see your point regarding .45 ACP vs. 5.56 Remington. But consider that if .45 ACP were rated at 4P (or if any combat handgun cartridge were, for that matter), then the shooter would need an average of 10 hits to kill the average Body 3 human being wearing no armor, assuming the target rolls one hit to resist damage and obligingly stood still to receive the fire. Thusly, a damage rating of 4P makes one-shot kills almost like a miracle.

But at 6P anyway, two hits on the attack minus two hits to resist damage after reaction and body of 3 dice each gives a total of 6 damage and only a -2 wound penalty.

But if we jack up 5.56 Remington, it starts acting a little too much like a bazooka.

People shot by any real rifle (sorry, .22lr doesn't count) tend to be much more messed up than people shot by a pistol, everything else being equal.

And if I'm shooting at someone I'm not trying to kill them, I'm trying to make them stop doing whatever they were doing. Once they go to zero body that works fine. (You can always shoot again after that.) And if you are barely hitting them (no extra successes) that's like grazing and minor peripheral hits. It takes a lot of grazes and through-and-through limbs wounds to stop someone.

If you have a decent level of skill you will typically have more successes than they have body successes.

I’m perfectly willing to have a game where incompetent idiots shoot the hell out of each other before falling down and bleeding on the floor, while someone who knows what they are doing is really lethal with the same gun.

Rifles are in a whole different category from the typical service handgun. The bullets are moving at least twice as fast and the typical wound profile is hence vastly more devastating. People tend to be physiologically incapacitated a lot more often when shot once by rifles (or shotguns) then by pistols. If you signficantly reduce the pistol damage that also provides the same effect.

To properly reflect this requires some change in the ammo rules also, but not a whole lot.

There is more you could do by performing surgery on the rules, but that gets hard. Bullet placement is really the key to effectiveness with small arms, which is hard to simulate in a game that doesn't have hit locations (and most of games that do it doesn't work well). I’m toying with using the graphical template concept from Millennium’s End, but this requires major changes in the mechanics and concept of combat.
Butterblume
As far as I know the 4,6*30mm ammunition of the H&K MP7 is designed to penetrate armor, and to increase damage in tissue (by tumbling).
Don't know if it's true wink.gif.

(The MP7 is imo well designed, but must be one of the most ugly guns in existence)
kzt
QUOTE (Butterblume)
As far as I know the 4,6*30mm ammunition of the H&K MP7 is designed to penetrate armor, and to increase damage in tissue (by tumbling).
Don't know if it's true wink.gif.

So is the 5.7mm bullets from FN IIRC. Wound track looked a hell of a lot like a .22LR hollowpoint. This certainly isn't good for the target, but it isn't something you want to count on.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
In real life they are developing a type of bullet that only behaves as both and armor piercing round and standard ammo. (saw it on discovery channel’s future weapons show)

They were probably talking about (or hyping up, as the case may be) blended metal bullets which a certain firm (Le Mas Ltd, now apparently bankrupt) claimed would remain solid when hitting hard objects but would pulverize in human tissue. Only they couldn't demonstrate that it actually worked as advertised, and there were other issues with it -- like drastically shortened range. Seems to whole thing has been buried for a few years now.

Even if it had worked exactly like they claimed, it would still have been worse at penetrating armor than dedicated armor piercing rounds, and its wounding capabilities would have been inferior to controlled expansion rounds because such ammo would not have penetrated deep enough in tissue.

Moreover, regardless of advances in material technology, bullets dedicated to piercing armor will pierce armor better, and bullets dedicated to causing more lethal wounds will do that better.

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Now the problem the military and police often run into with armor piercing is it goes through the target and might hit bystanders.

Rounds that penetrate through the target are not as big an issue as rounds that miss the target altogether. The police get quite a few misses per hit, so that's what they're worrying more about -- at any rate, taking too long to disable (kill) the target is more likely to cause loss of innocent life than rounds that penetrate through, so if AP ammo is what it takes, AP ammo is what they'll use. Provided that they have any, of course.

The military isn't going to give a damn what happens to rounds that penetrate through the target in most cases, and they're usually stuck with FMJs anyway -- AP rounds will usually not penetrate much further through tissue than those.

QUOTE (kzt)
And if I'm shooting at someone I'm not trying to kill them, I'm trying to make them stop doing whatever they were doing.

Which usually works out to be synonymous, since killing them is pretty much the only reliable way to "stop" them with a firearm. smile.gif

QUOTE (kzt)
The bullets are moving at least twice as fast and the typical wound profile is hence vastly more devastating.

Not necessarily true, depending on which part of the body the bullet travels through. The higher velocity projectiles tend to cause more extensive damage to penetrated bones and will really fuck up the liver should they go through it, but through muscle tissue a 5.6mm diameter spitzer bullet will leave behind the same sized hole regardless of whether it moves at 1500fps or 3000fps -- a hole much smaller than that which a 11.4mm roundnose creates at any velocity.

QUOTE (Butterblume)

The whole point of the 5.7x28mm and 4.6x30mm cartridges is indeed the ability to penetrate soft body armor with a very compact weapon. The tumbling is supposed to counteract the otherwise extremely limited wounding potential of an extremely light, extremely small non-deforming bullet, but even in an optimal situation the overall size of the resulting permanent cavity is quite small -- ruling out hits through the liver or other organs that cannot handle stretching from the temporary cavity, I assume it will be smaller in volume and surface area than with a 9x19mm FMJ in the same conditions.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (kzt)
Wound track looked a hell of a lot like a .22LR hollowpoint.

The SS190 looks like this in gelatin. Kinda resembles a 5.45x39mm FMJ impact chopped in half. Insufficient penetration + small permanent cavity = meh.
kzt

Not necessarily true, depending on which part of the body the bullet travels through. The higher velocity projectiles tend to cause more extensive damage to penetrated bones and will really fuck up the liver should they go through it, but through muscle tissue a 5.6mm diameter spitzer bullet will leave behind the same sized hole regardless of whether it moves at 1500fps or 3000fps -- a hole much smaller than that which a 11.4mm roundnose creates at any velocity.

The part about 13 CM into the wound track where the FMJ round yaws and shatters is where the terminal ballistics get exciting. A through-and-through impact on an arm may well miss that part. But shooting people in the arm isn't going to result in a physiological stop very often until you are dealing with heavy hunting bullets or crew served weapons.
Raygun
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 18 2006, 05:39 PM)
Rifles are in a whole different category from the typical service handgun. The bullets are moving at least twice as fast and the typical wound profile is hence vastly more devastating. People tend to be physiologically incapacitated a lot more often when shot once by rifles (or shotguns) then by pistols.

You keep saying this, but still have yet to show us any evidence of it, namely in context of AR-15 vs. 45 ACP pistol. I'm willing to bet that you're "vastly" overstating the case, and that single hits from .223/5.56mm rifle rounds aren't anywhere near as effective at "resulting in a physiological stop" as you appear to believe them to be.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
That is only true when buying its. When you actually roll it comes out to every 3 dice.

You'd think that, but it's not true.

I have to train myself not to think that way.

But on average, you'll get one or more hits on 3 dice 70% of the time. You'll get one on 4 dice 80% of the time.

I agree generally that subtracting dice from your opponent is always good. It creates a smaller pool, which is more likely to glitch, and gives them less dice to reroll with edge.
kzt
QUOTE (Raygun)
You keep saying this, but still have yet to show us any evidence of it, namely in context of AR-15 vs. 45 ACP pistol. I'm willing to bet that you're "vastly" overstating the case, and that single hits from .223/5.56mm rifle rounds aren't anywhere near as effective at "resulting in a physiological stop" as you appear to believe them to be.
Austere Emancipator
Perhaps you missed Raygun linking to firearmstactical.com earlier in the thread. He's also got that very same rifle gelatin test profiles by Fackler on his site.

The increased tissue damage in this case is completely dependent on the fragmentation of the bullet in question, which does not always happen with either M193 or M855 -- though it is more likely with the former. When the bullet stays intact, again excluding shots through the liver etc., there is very limited increase in tissue disruption comparing impacts of common rifle bullets at 1000fps, 2000fps or 3000fps.

This is why I could not agree with your original statement that "[t]he bullets are moving at least twice as fast and the typical wound profile is hence vastly more devastating". Consider the performance of common 7.62x39mm FMJs to that of the 230gr .45 ACP FMJ -- well over twice the velocity, but causes smaller wound cavities on average. Plus there is the whole issue of insufficient penetration with most of the light fragmenting 5.56x45mm's.
Suitcase Murphy
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Oct 18 2006, 11:53 AM)

You'd think that, but it's not true.

I have to train myself not to think that way.

But on average, you'll get one or more hits on 3 dice 70% of the time. You'll get one on 4 dice 80% of the time.

Can you show me that math, please?
Austere Emancipator
P(one 6-sided die comes up not 5 or 6) = 2/3
P(X 6-sided dice come up not 5 or 6) = (2/3)^X
P(X 6-sided dice come up at least 1 5 or 6) = 1 - ((2/3)^X)

With 3 dice: 1 - ((2/3)^3) ~= 70.4%
With 4 dice: 1 - ((2/3)^4) ~= 80.2%

However, the average amount of successes with 3 dice is 1, so it still holds that 1 DV is roughly worth of 3 AP when considering damage output vs. personnel only.
kzt

The increased tissue damage in this case is completely dependent on the fragmentation of the bullet in question, which does not always happen with either M193 or M855 -- though it is more likely with the former. When the bullet stays intact, again excluding shots through the liver etc., there is very limited increase in tissue disruption comparing impacts of common rifle bullets at 1000fps, 2000fps or 3000fps.

What you seem to be arguing is that a .45 FMJ that behaves as expected does more damage than the rifle bullet that behaves in an extremely unlikely fashion and doesn't yaw, rotate, or fragment as they virtually always do. That's likely to be true.

Ok. This indicates exactly what? How is this useful information to combat mechanics, which need to be based on typical behavior, not "if you assume the moon is made of blue cheese then" type assumptions?
Austere Emancipator
The M855 does not "virtually always" fragment by any account, and that would be stretching it even for the M193, which does it rather more often. If you only ever got direct hits through soft tissues at close ranges with long rifle barrels the statistics might look better, but my understanding is that of all the M855s hitting people these days it might not even be 50% that lose a large portion of their mass to fragmentation.

In addition, when talking about rifle fire in general, it might be better to consider worldwide averages and not just the assault rifle standard of the US armed forces. Not all SS109s fragment as readily, only a small portion of 7.62x51mm NATO ball does so, and Soviet/Russian equivalents (which, I imagine, make up the majority of rifle FMJs fired at people around the world right now) have no such properties.

Yawing only allows an assault rifle bullet to increase the permanent wound cavity caused to about the same measures as the .45 roundnose solid for a portion of the distance penetrated -- the area covered by the side of an M855 is roughly equal in size to the frontal area of a .45.

Not quite "cheese-moon" issues, I think you'll admit.
Zen Shooter01
But I don't think these debates are helping the issue. Less science and more game, gentlemen. That's my guiding principle.
Austere Emancipator
How could a more realistic approach to the balancing of the DVs for various firearms be discussed without talking about what happens in the real world when people are hit with such weapons?
fistandantilus4.0
ADMIN:Agreed, let's keep this along SR lines guys. We're getting a bit far a field here. Reminding me of the RL vs SR magic thread.

Edit:agh, my color-fu is weak
Austere Emancipator
Rgr.

".45 is way cooler, which is the only reason why it should have a DV comparable to common assault rifle calibers with Standard Ammunition."
Fortune
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
But I don't think these debates are helping the issue. Less science and more game, gentlemen. That's my guiding principle.

I don't mind the debates (although I rarely add anything constructive wink.gif ). I'll agree with more game in addition to the debates though. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012