Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Snipers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Austere Emancipator
If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't at all sure the numbers would look like that when I opened the budget files.

You can find US Army, Navy and Air Forces procurement budgets from 98 to 07 here. Last time M240Bs were procured in large amounts, in FY 06, they cost $9,000/piece, while M249s cost $3,500 and Mk 19s $17,000 per unit. GP bombs are dirt cheap, as military hardware goes.
Raygun
This is the text that came with the e-mail I got the video in (Aus' link is the video I was talking about).
Subject: Predator UAV anti-IED kill

Many of you already know this but others may also find it interesting.

One of the ways we've come up with to limit the number of Improvised Explosive Device (IED) (roadside bomb) attacks on our friendly forces is through use of airborne sensors to detect these terrorist operations as they occur.  One technique is to monitor our most heavily traveled areas using Predator Unmanned Aerial vehicles (UAVs).  They are very quiet and fly at high enough an altitude so that they can't be heard or seen. Since they are unmanned and designed to stay aloft for long periods, they frequently fly over target areas for more than 24 hours at a time. They are also equipped with laser designators to mark and illuminate the targets for other aircraft to drop their ordnance (bombs and rockets) onto any targets detected by their sensors.  Some of them also carry their own bombs to use against the detected terrorists.

In this video, a Predator comes upon 3 terrorists in Iraq that are planting an IED.  The video is instantly seen back in the US where analysts determine that it is truly terrorists planting a home-made mine.  On call fighter/attack aircraft are armed and stationed in loiter areas nearby to react to these types of situations.  In this case a nearby F-16 is contacted.  The Predator illuminates the terrorists with a laser designator and the F-16 then delivers a 500 lb bomb on them.  The person controlling the Predator drone is 8000 miles away at Nellis AFB in Nevada.
FlakJacket
With all the new UAV's carrying laser designators now available makes me wonder whether the old Copperhead/Krasnopol laser guided artillery or even Strix mortars might be more viable now since you don't need bods on the ground nearby anymore.
Zen Shooter01
Hmm. Why not just use truck-mounted guided missiles?
FlakJacket
Could well do, since you could possibly get better range with them. I was just pulling these from memory so I have no idea what sort of price tag per unit you'd be talking about or how effective they might be.
Shrike30
We had a guy in an old SR campaign who was a Mafia driver. Had a nice big limo that he liked to cruise around in (which made it real easy to get the whole crew in the car), and generally was a funny guy.

He also kept a mortar launcher with a 6 shot rotary drum in the trunk.

This one time, the crew got pinned down in a motor pool outside of a corporate building, unable to get to a better position because of the amount of fire coming their way. The driver whipped out his cel phone, made a call, and then stuck his MP5-TX up over the edge of the car he was behind and pointed the SMG at the armored vehicle that corporate security was operating out of. There was a momentary whistling noise, and then the laser-guided mortar he'd "called in" from his limo dropped square on the designated spot being projected from his SMG's underbarrel designator.

The incoming fire slackened noticeably, probably due to the amount of burning debris all over the parking lot, and the crew made it's escape.
Butterblume
Awesome. I always wanted to do something like this, but somehow it never came up wink.gif.
Zen Shooter01
Regarding my alternate equipment concept posted earlier in this thread - instead of adding or subtracting DV according to barrel length, would it be better to add or subtract die pool?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012