Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Wanna New Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
fistandantilus4.0
Hahahaha. I was waiting to see how long it would take you to complain. wink.gif I've read them all, I just havne't responded to them yet. I like to take my time picking apart a character when it gets to final draft. I assume that's where Toby is at now?
Fortune
Obviously not! nyahnyah.gif frown.gif

Oh, and did you get the email I sent yesterday?
WinterRat1
As this seems to be the best place to ask, is there any way to tell if games are recruiting? I'm going to build some more cred first with the forum as a stayer, but I don't want to miss something - games just post recruitment posts when they go?

Living in the Shadows and Down in the Gutter are perpetually open for recruitment. If you're interested and willing to make a serious commitment to the game, we're always open to taking on quality new players. smile.gif
Fortune
My apologies. LitS totally slipped my mind. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)

Oh, and did you get the email I sent yesterday?

No I only check my email about once a week . Apparently that'll have to be tonight.
Fortune
Slack!
toturi
Are there genetech that can confer Exception Attributes?

I think with Augmentation out and some of us not being able/want to get the pdf, can we submit our PCs first, then retcon whatever Augmentation changes we want into our PC? Else this game is going to take way longer to start.
Critias
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 31 2007, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 31 2007, 05:08 AM)
Who, mine?

No, Critias.

Crit has an ED char!? eek.gif I wanna see!

QUOTE (Fortune)
A well-thought-out character and background will usually go farther with most GMs than a high post count. 

Very much agreed.

Crit, also , remember this doens't have to be a gun bunny. You guys will at some point be going up agsint some very formidable security, and I have yet to see a character equipped to deal with it. Just something to think about.

Through the years, I've had several ED characters. The longest running was was Serendial The _____ (he changed adjectives every session), an Elven Swordmaster who managed to claw his way up to 7th Circle in a two player game. Me and a Wizard. It was rough stuff. Good times, though.

Then we decided to start a new game, and -- yes, really -- we have never made it a session without more than half the party dying. Same GM, I'm still in it, and we've had two other players coming and going... new characters as often as not (we just keep scrapping the "campaign" and starting over, trying a different balance of charactes, stuff like that) -- and we've yet to make it to session two without either a total party kill, or 2/3 of us lying dead at the feet of a bad guy. As much as we love Earthdawn, we've decided there's a pretty undeniable shortage of honest-to-god Circle 1 adventures. Everything throws you against a Horror pretty much right out of the box, and that's just nuts.

The ED story Grinder mentioned in particular, though, was concerning Gencon '04. Living Room Games had a tournament set up, where five or six tables of players (all with the same characters, all doing the same adventures) faced off with rotating GMs, and the group that did the best (in a combination of gameplay asskickery, detective work, role playing, good senses of humor, etc, etc) got a prize. They also have not repeated the tournament format since.

As such, MFB, two of my buddies IRL, and myself are the undefeated and unchallenged official best Earthdawn players ever. Hooray for us! Best ever!

In unrelated news -- moving on from ED to Shadowrun, and this game in particular -- I'm really just not as good at playing non-combat oriented types. I don't know the lingo, can't fake the jargon for solid role playing as well, don't have as concrete a grasp on the rules, etc, etc, for the electronics-doohickey character types.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)

Indeed there is! And much, much more. smile.gif

At least two of us have Augmentation now (myself included), so I'm sure help is available if you want it.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
I'm really just not as good at playing non-combat oriented types. I don't know the lingo, can't fake the jargon for solid role playing as well, don't have as concrete a grasp on the rules, etc, etc, for the electronics-doohickey character types.

Join the club! biggrin.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 2 2007, 02:22 PM)

Indeed there is! And much, much more. smile.gif

At least two of us have Augmentation now (myself included), so I'm sure help is available if you want it.

Wishlist sent. PM in your box.
Trigger
Anybody else any farther in this thing....I wanna play!!!
Fortune
Well ... I sent in my third, fourth, and fifth drafts. biggrin.gif

The longer chargen takes, the more I tend to tweak.
Grinder
That reminds me I have to work out stats. Hm.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
Well ... I sent in my third, fourth, and fifth drafts. biggrin.gif

The longer chargen takes, the more I tend to tweak.

God tell me about it. My PM box is serisouly flooded right now with so many characters.

Alright, anyone that has a char in any stage, please send it to me. I know I've already got a couple, but I seriously will ahve to sift through my inbox. My inbox holds up to 500, so as you can see, it's a problem if I don't do regular house cleaning. I haven't.

Please, anything you have on your char, especially background or just oveview if that's all you've got at the moment, send my way.

With the exception of Fortune. Unless something's changed. Because damn man I have five copies of your char sheet. I keep tripping over it. biggrin.gif That way I can work on the details of this game.

Thanks all.

Critias, what's your status? Are you still in?
Fortune
Are you sure you don't want another copy? I have changed the color of his shirt since the last draft, after all. smile.gif
toturi
Jeez Fortune, don't bait the GM!
fistandantilus4.0
Well Fortune, I know you get bored some times, so if you want, you can come up with a detailed description of all of his gear.

Then I'll make Grinder do the same thing, because he's the only one that hasn't gotten me anything on his character sheet yet, and he hates gear lists.
Fortune
Well Fortune, I know you get bored some times, so if you want, you can come up with a detailed description of all of his gear.

How much more detailed do I need to be? I've already described pretty much everything on the character sheet, gear or not. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Eh, I'm just seeing how much it'll take before you write out the character's life story, complete with dialogue.

Plus it gives me a chance to give Grinder some grief. wink.gif
Fortune
Sadist! Just for that, I am considering filling your inbox with a serial novel concerning his first childhood pet, a cat named Onionhead. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
That damn cat again!
Critias
Bah. I got nothin'. You kids go on without me, and have your fun. *waves his walker*
fistandantilus4.0
Sorry man, but no hard feelings. I understand. Interested in joining the Family?
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
Bah. I got nothin'. You kids go on without me, and have your fun. *waves his walker*

Noooooooooo!

Don't give up!
Critias
Eh, I'm just (when not killing time at work, like right now) really busy with a bunch of other stuff right now. I've got time to post (because I can do that while, well, killing time at work, like right now) but just not the time/inclination to sit down and make a character, I guess.

Spinespur's doing really well so we're getting started on the next book and a short fiction collection and and an RPG for it, so the bulk of my sit-on-my-butt-at-the-computer time is being spoken for. I don't want to hold up the game and just continue to occasionally "work on my character" by spending five or ten minutes staring blankly at my pdf of SR4 and having no idea what I want to do with even just my starting BP (nevermind the bajillion other points we got).

So, yeah, don't sweat it. Go murder folks and steal stuff and get paid the big bucks. Maybe if inspiration strikes after my hustle-and-bustle dies down, I'll bug Fisty and my character can get tossed into the mix later, or something.
Grinder
Hey, no need to hurry. I don't have stats or an long background story ready - and don't got the impression that this game will start within in the next minutes. If you got a backgruond story and a personality for your character it should be enough to start the game. At least in my world. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Wonders never cease. So far we have 12 pages of wanting to play a game. I have PMs like I asked for from Fortune (who I pray wil not send me anymroe for at least another week) and toturi.

Trigger, Grinder , I'm looking at you two. And it's not a pretty look.

In fact, it looks like this: sarcastic.gif
Trigger
What, me? You have my character and my MSN name, you have asked me for nothing else....what the hell do you want?
fistandantilus4.0
A second PM please. smile.gif

Edit:ack, NMFouind yours. I'd asked for a second PM from everyone because of this mountian of crap in my Inbox. But I found yours. 2 karma to Trigger for the GM being an ass.
Fortune
Well, if he gets 2 Karma for the GM being an ass to him ... biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
That's right, you still get nothing. That's how you know I was indeed being an ass. Consistency. wink.gif
Fortune
I suddenly see a couple of revisions in my character's near future. Better make some space ... biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Touche
Seven-7
Jesus this thread is long and I suppose I'm not helping...But I'm in th same boat as Fortune, or at least the same boat he was in at the very begining (Don't know if he managed to join a game).

It's been a while since I've posted here, at least frequently (Back when SR4 first came out and I was hailing the awesome power of Conjurers). I do believe I suggested a Sticky post for Wanted posts.
Fortune
QUOTE (Seven-7)
I do believe I suggested a Sticky post for Wanted posts.

This is about as close as we have. You're quite welcome to join the club though. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Well mr 49, this game has been winding it's gears up at a solid turtle-ish pace. Grinder is still needing to put the finishing (and starting) touches on his character 's stats.

That being said, if you're looking for a game, this is one with an open slot. We've got a number of experienced characters, and a couple made w/ 400 BP + karma (what'd I say Fortune, 300? You apparently keep better track than I do) from scratch. So if you can slam a character together in about a week, and have a yearning to jump in to a Zero-Zone, come aboard!
Fortune
Dude! I told you that you would bump it up if people stalled long enough. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 22 2007, 01:18 PM)
Shit, that was like 3 pages ago.

Umm... 200 build karma I think.

If they stall another 3 pages will you throw in another 50 Karma? biggrin.gif

Actually, I was going to suggest upping the Karma amount a little for new characters. 150 just didn't seem equitable ... even in such an unfair game world like Shadowrun.

400BP + 200 Karma wink.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
biggrin.gif Good job, thanks.
Fortune
Of course, if you have an old (SR3) character with 300 Karma amassed, you could always port them over to SR4 using the 'official guidelines' on the website (that you can't get to at the moment ... if you need them I'm sure we can get them to you).
Seven-7
Week to design a Character? HA! I design full characters in my head /every three seconds/.

I have no life by the way.
fistandantilus4.0
And ......GO! *starts stopwatch*
Seven-7
Want me to PM?
fistandantilus4.0
yes please
Fortune
Want me to?
Seven-7
Crap.

The profile/PM stuff doesn't seem to be working. Doesn't my work know how much I need my Shadowrun fix? I have rights!

Anyway, I'll be home in 1hr15m23s anyhow.
Trigger
Did you click on fistandantilus3.0's name to send the PM? Cause if you did it would have failed. The DSF system is whacked right now, and the only way to send PMs is to click the '0 new messages' link on top and go through there and manually enter the recipients name into the area.
Fortune
Click on the 'x new messages' link at the top of the page to access your Control Panel. You can then use the PM system from there by manually typing in the nickname of the recipient. wink.gif

edit: Beaten by Trigger ... who should be working on his charatcer. biggrin.gif
Trigger
I am quicker on the draw old man, you are getting slow in your age nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
Grinder is still needing to put the finishing (and starting) touches on his character 's stats.

embarrassed.gif

You'll get it tomorrows. Background story is ok so far? Gonna flesh it out in the next days anyway, just want to know if the basic idea is good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012