Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Wanna New Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gremish
I appologize i spend 4 horus today fixing the brakes on my car and then came home to find out i had to right a 10 page paper by tommorow AND another 5 page paper, so most likly the game wont be coming out until tommorow, im sorry guys =(
HMHVV Hunter
D'oh! No problem; things like that pop up sometimes.
Grinder
Curse you, real life!
Callidus
Man, not a nice surprise.... evil RL *8->
Gremish
Thread for it is created, the End of the line, please post there if interested =)
Fortune
Wake Up!!!

I want a new game, and I am tired of playing starting-level characters that never get a chance to progress to a level where I am happy with them. I want to play in a game where I get to play with a decent character, not necessarily outrageous, but somewhere around 100-150 Karma (after creation) would be nice.

So ... what say you?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 17 2006, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Callidus @ Nov 18 2006, 04:02 AM)
I'd run a game but every game I've run has died a most horrible death

It's an occupational hazard. Out of all the people I know, Shadow has had the best luck with online games, having GM'ed at least four to completion so far. Maybe he knows a secret ... biggrin.gif

I and a few others are in a game Shadow was running. He's having computer issues at the moment though, so the game has been down for about two months. Looks like you may have jinxed him retroactively. I've been promising Critias a SR4 game over on Shadowland though if you're interested. 500 BP wink.gif
Fortune
Shadowland flips me out. I get lost whenever I try to find my way around there. frown.gif

Besides, as an Admin, it should be your responsibility to promote gaming in this Forum. Perhaps you could atone by running another game here ... wink.gif
Fortune
A 500 BP game would be a great start, but still wouldn't quite be the same as 100(+) Karma, if only because of the lack of available Initiation without actual Karma (unless that would be house-ruled).
fistandantilus4.0
Shadowland has taken some getting used to for me as well. As a Moderator here, I feel it is my responsibility to share the love and visit some other sites as well. Woulnd't want people to be thinking I'm a DS snob now would I? wink.gif

I have been allowing one grade of initiation FYI. I'll see about starting another game here. You know my possible conflict with starting another new game.
Fortune
Yeah I know. (Any news on that front?)

Well, as an Admoderatormin, you could always use your awesome powers in some subtle way to convince someone else to run a new game. I would like having you as a fellow player, and I'm sure you wouldn't mind it for a change. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Then suck it up and play in Meriss' game, you big baby! nyahnyah.gif I know how you feel about the low BP. I whined about the same, but eventually decided that it was to neat an idea to pass. Be glad though. He was orignally going for 300 and I talked him up. smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
No! nyahnyah.gif

All I ever get is one-shots and/or starting character games, and there is never any (or at least, very little) progression in most of the latter games. I really do want to play in a game where I get to actually use one of my experienced characters.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Well hell, I for one hate making new characters for new games. Got aqny experience characters with say 1-300 karma under their belts ?
Fortune
I have a few.

It seems (and I know I'm not alone) that I can never be quite satisfied with a starting character. They are just never rounded out enough for me to really 'feel' the character, if you know what I mean.

The thread about non-Karma games in the Shadowrun forum got me thinking on this even more than normal. It isn't really a munchkin thing (well, at least not entirely ... wink.gif ), just a certain dissatisfaction that comes from playing a character that isn't as fleshed-out as you envisions them.

... Or it could be that I just want a Mission Impossible/James Bond type game, where the PCs are at their peak. biggrin.gif
Aku
i'd consider it, but you'd all eat me alive like a ghoul @ live earth.
Fortune
Why would you think that?
Aku
1) Your date stamp: Joined: 29-March 02 (also, the last major revamp of the boards, so you could've been here muuuuch longer.

my date stamp: Joined: 18-Oktober 04

2) you're an immortal fragging elf! i'm just Dumpshock'd.

3 i've never finished a game, that i can remember, let alone a high powered one...
fistandantilus4.0
Hey, I joined in '05. "rank' and join dates are really no indicator. I have a number of games going on in the forums at the moment, that have yet to be finished, but are well in to the double digits. Just because there's no resolution doens't mean there isn't a good time to be had.
Aku
i dont think i got past the first page.... with page counts at the lowest possible once recruiting ended biggrin.gif i'm gonna see if i can find the game i THINK i was gonna try and run on here... it might've been an openrpg game though...
Fortune
I'm only an Immortal Elf (I wish they'd lose that 't' frown.gif ) because I used to talk a lot ... quite a lot indeed seeing as I haven't been here much in the last couple of years. eek.gif biggrin.gif

Don't let someone's join date or perceived post count intimidate or influence you. Lots of free time does not necessarily grant someone immunity to being a fucktard. wink.gif
Aku
second game i tried

first game i tried...

edit: im not saying either of you are (or arent) fucktards. Just that i know both of your knowledges of the system far out kill mine.
Fortune
Hell, you haven't tried for over a year! nyahnyah.gif

The games looked alright though. smile.gif

Besides, you can't blame yourself for players falling off the wayside. I wish I knew the best way, or even any way to cure that ... whether it be by only inviting players you know will be here in a year (not necessarily optimal), or keeping an active waiting list, and strictly replacing characters when their players slack off (has problems as well).
fistandantilus4.0
I've done the selective recruiting, and the waiting list. Both seem to help games stay on target. At least that way you know you've got dedicated people.

That being said, all my usuals seem to be full up on games. Fortune, I think if I'm going to start one up, might have to do an open enrollment.

Any takers for a game w/ experienced characters? 100-300 karma range in SR4 system? Doesn't have to be a char started in SR4, they can of course be converted.

Fortune
Um ... of course you mean any takers apart from me. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

100 - 300 is quite a range. Are you sure you don't want to narrow it down some?
Trigger
I would be interested in a game like that. I have a hermetic from SR3 that I can convert or a physad, either one I would like to play again.
Critias
I'd be willing to give it a shot, too (just to try and flex a little and try out SR4 at the not-character-creation power levels).
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
100 - 300 is quite a range. Are you sure you don't want to narrow it down some?

I know it's a range. That was sort of the point. I don't believe in this "all runners created equal" crap. Some are better than others, that's just the way it is. I prefer it that way.

How 'bout the area of 150 karma, Mr Picky?

nyahnyah.gif

Trigger, Crit, I know both of you, so you guys are good to go.I just need people that are going to post regularly. I hate seeing a game die beucase someone isn't bothering to put posts up , even in slow parts.

Need one more.
Fortune
Don't matter none to me ... I'm sure I could easily use up 300 points (or at least pull a character from SR3 and shave a couple of Karma off wink.gif).

Do you think 300 Karma characters would test the limit of (or even break) the SR4 system?
Fortune
So ... would there be a post-chargen cash limit (or a Cash for Karma system)? Availability limit? Any limits?
Critias
Yeah (as in, "same question as above") -- I know I do my best when all the nitpicky little details are worked out (in terms of buying fancy grades of stuff, other high-availability toys, junk like that).

Also, anyone got a theme/idea/whatever for our merry little band of do-badders? We want to bully Fisty into a themed game, got some group in mind, some sort of job we specialize in, or anything?
fistandantilus4.0
Themed game would be great actually. Feel free to form your own little cabal. What I had in mind was less creating new characters, and more pulling out characters you've had and wanted to use again for a while. But I'm flexible.

Let me make this as difficult as possible: give me a pitch, and I'll OK or deny. The more background or history you have to the character, the more likely I am to approve it.

Not to anyone in particular (except those nick named Fortune) ; no Immortal elf parentage in the character's histories, even if it is a neat write up. wink.gif
Fortune
You suck! nyahnyah.gif

Hmmm .... next choice ...
Critias
I'm in an Adept mood lately, and if ever I could build a really badass Adept it'd be in a game with a billion extra karma and stuff. Other than that, I'm not terribly sure/picky/etc. There are a few key pieces of gear missing from SR4 thus far that are keeping me from just trying to 'port over' an existing SR3 character (Connor without a Tactical Computer would just be weird, I think), but I could always try tossing him together and just seeing how it works out.

If I go that route, my contribution to the team would be an ex-Ghost, ex-Information Secretariat, murderous cocky guy.
Fortune
I'm thinking about an ex-AF, Ex-DIMR troubleshooting spellslinger.
Grinder
Chance to join?
toturi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Not to anyone in particular (except those nick named Fortune) ; no Immortal elf parentage in the character's histories, even if it is a neat write up. wink.gif

How about a shape-shifted Great Dragon... like me!

How rulesy is the game going to be? House rules? Rulings?

I'm thinking an Awakened Mr Not-So-Lucky-but-Lucky.
Critias
So, anyone (including our erstwhile GM) got an idea or theme or whatever for a game? Are we just gonna be a group of the world's best Shadowrunners flung together on a job at random? Or some corporate hit-team, military specops superninja group, black ops Lone Star clean-up squad, crack Yakuza group, Fratellanza crew for the Euro-mafia, what?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Grinder)
Chance to join?

Sure thing. I was looking for a few more heads. I like groups at three to five, with four being a more ideal number.

So that looks like Forutne, Critias, Grinder, and perhaps tutori.

Until of ocurse, this little part:
@tutori - I use house, a link to which I'll pop-up in a minute. I alsot tend to interpret rules more to the spirit IMO than the literal, and am less rules heavy. I don't mind a bit of rules debate, but the rules in my mind are more like guidelines. So if that's a problem for you, this may be your stop. If not, feel free to sign up! smile.gif

As for tone, I think what I'm going to go with here is basically a well established, very skilled, and well paid group. In some games I do go for more specific things like mob centric, magical secrets styled, etc. This one I'm looking at more high end runs.

That being said, I'm pretty flexible, and am usually pretty good thinking up runs pretty easily. I like building around characters as well. SO if anyone has any requests, I can probably do that too.

As to Critias' request for porting over undeveloped gear, I'm alright with that , although working out something like the TacComp could be a bit tricky, as that involves reworking Small Unit Tactics as well.

QUOTE (tutori)
How about a shape-shifted Great Dragon... like me!

Sure ,as long as he doesn't have any dragon powers, ability to change into one, special resist... er... how 'bout just no. smile.gif I don't mind characters out of the norm. Anyone want to play a ghoul? biggrin.gif Just nothing really out there.

There was something else I'd wanted to say, but forgot what it was. smile.gif

Critias
It wasn't so much a request to port over gear that's as-of-yet undeveloped as just me bemoaning trying to make that particular character playable without it. Combat Pool was, in addition to one of my primary draws to SR up until 4th edition (and, well, after 4th was released, if anyone remembers my rants around that time) pretty much solely responsible for this particular character's continued survival.

It's no big deal, really. It's hardly difficult for me to come up with "Former Tir Adept/Killer," trust me. Hell, that's almost half my character concepts, truth be told. I'll be fine.
Aku
if i had a character to upgrade or bring back to life i would, but i dont think that this would be a good game for me to try to just bring a new person to life with.
Critias
I might've just missed it, but did we ever pin down starting karma/nuyen/availability/whatever?
fistandantilus4.0
@Aku - correct unfortunately. I'd like already created characters if possible.

@ Critias - got a char already made within that 100-300 karma range? Or are you looking for more specifics?
Grinder
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 18 2007, 03:15 AM)
Chance to join?

Sure thing. I was looking for a few more heads. I like groups at three to five, with four being a more ideal number.

Sweeet. love.gif smile.gif
Grinder
@ Critias - got a char already made within that 100-300 karma range? Or are you looking for more specifics?

Even if this is not directed to me: 100-300 karma you say? That's cool. Gonna build a spellslinger, ork mabye.
Trigger

What about me?! I was included above:
Trigger, Crit, I know both of you, so you guys are good to go.
fistandantilus4.0
Uhh.. oops/ biggrin.gif yes Trigger, you can come play too. As long as you bring your ball. wink.gif

OK, here's the rules then, since not everyone is interested in playing an old char.

You can:

A) pull out a prexisting character with up to 300 Karma to his name

B) Create a new character with 150 karma to work with

How's that?

The understanding here is that this is going to be an exisint team of runners. I can and may tie a special interest group in that the runners have had past dealings with. I'll deide for certain once I see the characters, because I have a few ideas bouncing aroud in my head. But personally, I hat e trying to shove a bunch of new runners (the "circle") into a rigid game design (the "square"). So I'm leaving a few details fluid here until I have all the characters in.
Fortune
Hell, who is this Forutne guy, and how come he took my place? frown.gif

Oh, and Fist ... that House Rule linkage would be good (although I suspect they are the same as the ones you list in your other game threads).
Fortune
I'm having a real bitch redoing my character's Spell List (not even going to mention Bioware like the Trauma Damper frown.gif ), as Force is no longer a factor in the Karma cost.

Looks like he'll be losing 2 or 3 Initiative grades and about 12 Spells. Oh well!
Trigger
It's going to have to be my Hermetic then, as until Augmentation comes out and I can outfit my Physad with Move-by-Wires as he was when he finished I cannot transfer him properly to SR4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012