Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Wanna New Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Fortune
Hmmm .... lots of spellslingers!

Fisty, if this is a problem, remember that I called it first! biggrin.gif
Trigger
We could theme the game around spellslingers and the metaplanes or some such thing....
toturi
Mine's(if I'm playing) not going to be Magician, but Adept.
fistandantilus4.0
Fortuna is indeed correct, house rules can be found here, except, i believe , on my take on Hand of God. I allow one. Just one. None of this "my character has used HoG three times" BS. I have used a bit more lenient rules in other games, but those are usually ones that are intended to be a bit over -deadly.

Oh, and that reminds me; critiquing the GMs typos will result in Bad Karma. wink.gif

All mage game, go for it. I've ran one before and it was very interesting. Just be aware though that if we have three mages and one street sam for example, things could be a bit boring for Mr Sammy.

Also, hackers are always handy. Could be agood oppurtunity for someone to try a technomancer as well. Not trying to hint or anything, just giving possibilities.

tutori, you'd make five. So let me know if/when you decide if you're in. For now, game is closed to new comers.
Trigger
What is the cash/karma ratio for the game and how much nuyen can we work with on top of the karma?
toturi
I'm in, if you'd have me.
Fortune
Still here ... still converting ...

... or should I say, squeezing?!? biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Trigger)
What is the cash/karma ratio for the game and how much nuyen can we work with on top of the karma?

At high level games I charge 25K/karma. This one isn't quite that high though. For now, we'll stick at 5K, and it may go up to 10K/per point if the game economy allows.

I do need to know first though, who is making a "new" character, and who is bringing in or converting an old one with experience.

As for new characters, starting nuyen is still done off of BP. Avail will be 16 instead of 12 however.

QUOTE (tutori)
I'm in, if you'd have me.

Definitely. I'd love to see what kind of characters you come up with, and how you game in general anyways.
Critias
If SL ever works again, I'll be converting someone over (or as near to it as I can with existing gear). If not, I was thinking about just bumping up my character for your other game by 150 karma, for shits and giggles and Betaware.
Fortune
Converting, but you probably knew that by now. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Trigger
I am trying to convert as well, but I am working from memory on a lot of it since I lost the sheet for the original quite a long time ago.
fistandantilus4.0
tutori, Grinder, old or new characters?

For some reason, I've noticed that it just seems wrong to capitolize tutori's name, just as it seems wrong to use Grindre's in the lower case. Maybe I over analyze to much.
Trigger
Oh, also, any starting nuyen to work with after creation? Or simply the 1 karma = 5k nuyen.gif ? Since I am working from memory, I kind of have to work from the bottom up, as well as change around some skills and foci (as specific spell foci no longer exist...bastards).
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
tutori, Grinder, old or new characters?

"New one" probably means I'll have to work with less karma wink.gif So. "Uh. Old one, of coure!". biggrin.gif

For some reason, I've noticed that it just seems wrong to capitolize tutori's name, just as it seems wrong to use Grindre's in the lower case. Maybe I over analyze to much.

rotfl.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Well foci would default to the spell category type. So they actually get more flexible. Armor sustaining foci would beocme manipulation sustaining foci, etc.

As for starting cash, you've already got a lot to work with. I don't think setting aside 2 BP is too much to ask for Ten Grand in hard cash.
toturi
Dunno, old or new as yet, since you haven't posted your conversion rules(have you?).

My name is easier in lower case and better if you remember o before u. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Um, you do know that I'm converting a character from SR3(2) that had already accumulated both (more than) 300 Karma and assorted stuff?

In other words, I wasn't planning on paying (Karma) for my resources and/or gear.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
My name is easier in lower case and better if you remember o before u.

I dunno! The other way suits your sig. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Fortune - I understand that. As for convertion, use standard convertion from SR3-4. It's a bitch on magic loss, so if anyone is converting a mage let me know. I may cut you a little slack. IF anyone has a specfic peice of ware they need converted, let me know on that as well. I'm sure we can come to some sorrt of agreement.

toturi- know what you mention it, I've always spelled your name wrong. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Fortune - I understand that. As for convertion, use standard convertion from SR3-4. It's a bitch on magic loss, so if anyone is converting a mage let me know. I may cut you a little slack. IF anyone has a specfic peice of ware they need converted, let me know on that as well. I'm sure we can come to some sorrt of agreement.

I'm converting a Mage! I think I might have mentioned that somewhere. wink.gif

My problems are ...

... the Mage in question has more than 300, so I have been (slowly) whittling him down. (I like this guy almost as much as I do the character that you preemptively barred nyahnyah.gif)

... I have just been rebuilding him from scratch in SR4, then adding Karma (while basically ignoring Resources ... although I fully expect to pay for any actual cash on hand) in (roughly) the same chronological order in which he originally progressed (I get back into the character this way, and besides, what the hell else have I got to do? biggrin.gif). It's not easy though, considering the first point, and the massive changes in the Initiation rules (basically doubling the cost).

... Trauma damper! The Platelet Factories just aren't quite the same. frown.gif

... The changes in Foci are a pain ... but he'll adapt.

... Spells could be learned cheaply in SR3, either by learning them at a low Force, or giving them restrictions, or even by utilizing Astral Quests. No discounts in SR4!

... Masking was split, making it necessary to acquire two Metamagics to accomplish what one did previously.

But I'll stop before I start to sound like I'm whining ... oops, too late! wink.gif biggrin.gif

It has been a while since I have read through them, but I think I'll have to go check out the 'official' Conversion rules again, just to see if I should go about things in a different manner. I'll let you know how things work out with this method.
Critias
I know the guy I'll be converting (if I can get ahold of his sheet, which is on SL) can't just convert over with the official rules. He's got too many skills, too high, and Aptitude can only be taken for one. He had two different martial arts at 7+, pistols, rifles, cyber implant, and assault rifles all at 6+, and a two-digit score for SMGs. Oh, and stealth, too. Crap. His other skills should be okay (having just one skill for taking care of guns is a godsend to Connor), but all his "big stuff" is gonna be tough to translate over.

The changes in some essence costs for stuff may be an issue, too (I'll have to wait and see), with SR4's greater importance being placed on stats and the higher essence impact because of it he might have too much stuff crammed into him right now. In a way I guess no tactical computers helps (in that it's one less thing I've got to try and fit in) on this front.

But we'll see what happens. If nothing else I'll do my best to capture the spirit of the character, if not the precise numbers.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
If nothing else I'll do my best to capture the spirit of the character, if not the precise numbers.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.
Critias
Eeek, he's trying to capture my spirit!
Grinder
He's an IE, what did you expect?
toturi
Forget it, I'm building my PC from scratch.

Without the karma reduction of Mnemonic Enhancers, Cognition and the uber-nuking power of Virtuso, my old PC cannot be converted without losing a lot in translation.
Fortune
Well ...

I sent Fisty a copy of my character sheet and bio for Toby. I used the 'Official Conversion Rules' and even lopped off a fair amount on top of that, and he still came out better than he did in the total-remake effort. I'm happy enough, so it remains to be seen what the iron-gripped one has to say. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
It looked good. I sent a reply BTW. As for skill caps, concerning your char, Critias, etc, if you read the house rules I linked (I did link those didn't I?) I've dropped caps for skills and attributes. I think the idea is dumb frankly. If you want to take a skill or attribute over the soft cap, buy the appropriate quality (exceptional attribute for example). You can do this with more than one att/skill. The karma increase cost does increase however .Raising an attribute over the soft cap cost 4x the new rating, skills are 3x. This is the base attribute, not one modified by augmentations.

As for gear your already existing characters have, give me a list. Most things I'll approve, because frankly, your char has already earned them

Crit, Augmentation is coming out on pdf soon. Might help you with Connor.
Inspired by Boondock Saints by chance, or just coincidence?wink.gif
Fortune
I reserve the right to play with the new bio-toys too ... if Augmentation comes out in time. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I'm fine with that. Put that tongue away. sarcastic.gif Threaten me with your venom sack/tracheal filter will you! Why I outta!..
Fortune
Today I am doing the Revitalized Character Happy Danceā„¢. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Bad Karrma for Fortune. As in SR3, that's basically Edge for the opposition.

Shame on you.

You can mock my Drop Bears. They're tough, they can take it.

You can bad mouth my Earthdawn. It's died twice and came back anyway.

But don't ever, Ever, say bad things about my Darksun.

[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
Hey ... I've never bad-mouthed Earthdawn!
fistandantilus4.0
sarcastic.gif
Grinder
Still haven't work on my char. I assume you don't have a deadline. smile.gif
What are the specifics for a newly created char, btw?
fistandantilus4.0
Shit, that was like 3 pages ago.

Umm... 200 build karma I think. Soft Caps house rule. 16 limit avail. Although I prefer already played characters. SO far I have a mage from Fortune, Trigger has his name sake being converted, and Critias is working on Connor, a street sam-ish type.

Toturi is working one up from scratch.
toturi
That's 400 BPs build + 200 karma, right?
Grinder
I'll flip through my character folder and I see what I have.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (toturi)
That's 400 BPs build + 200 karma, right?

Yup
Fortune
Shit, that was like 3 pages ago.

Umm... 200 build karma I think.

If they stall another 3 pages will you throw in another 50 Karma? biggrin.gif

Actually, I was going to suggest upping the Karma amount a little for new characters. 150 just didn't seem equitable ... even in such an unfair game world like Shadowrun.

I would have used my namesake character, but you arbitrarily barred him with your unfair, ill-thought-out, wide-sweeping limitations. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
biggrin.gif Yeah, I thought I had put it at 150 before , and decided that it wasn't going to be quite enough.

And Again, no off spring of Immortal Elves, Immortal Elves, or wannabe immortal elves (Fortuna). I thought about saying just no elves out right, that we were going to base the game in Black Forest, but then I thought Fortune's head would explode.
wink.gif
Fortune
Hey! Did you check the race of the character I sent. This is one of my very rare non-elves. I don't do trogs or midgets. cool.gif

As an aside, I was sooooooooooooo tempted to fudge and make him an elf when I converted him. embarrassed.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Quite honestly, no I didn't I honestly just assumed you'd be an elf again! 3 CSP for branching out. It's good for you.

Fortune
Woohoo! biggrin.gif

So, you CSP spend just like Karma, but only on Knowledge Skills? Or like chargen BPs? Or some other way?
fistandantilus4.0
On Knowledge Skills, correct. I hate how little attention/love knowledge skills usually get after char gen.
Fortune
Knowledge Skills (and Languages) are great. They seem to me to depict the growth of a character more than the Active Skills.
Grinder
Gonna write down my character in the next days, I hope.
Critias
The best thing about playing a human is that, with the points you get for "elf poser," you can pay for the tailored pheromones and muscle toner to pull it off! It's like being an elf, only 30 bp cheaper!
Trigger
Hey, I like my elf I am going to be playing, he really wouldn't work any other way. I will get a drawing up of him in the next couple of days so you can see what I am talking about.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Critias)
The best thing about playing a human is that, with the points you get for "elf poser," you can pay for the tailored pheromones and muscle toner to pull it off! It's like being an elf, only 30 bp cheaper!

I love elf posers!

@Trigger /everyone - you will get bonus points for char illustrations, and thorough backgrounds. Now I have to go through Trigger's novel he just sent me on his character. biggrin.gif
Critias
Shit. Extra points for backgrounds, when SL's down and I can't just throw my whole fucking fiction folder at Fist and demand godlike power for it. Just my luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012