Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment spirit power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
X-Kalibur
Illusions deceive perceptions on the physical plane, yes. But you can show me an example, in any edition, where they have fooled sense on the astral? Let us start with phantasm and trid phantasm. One is mana based, one is physical based, the only real difference in the spell is that one is not detected by cameras. In the astral, both auras look the same until assensed, they both show up as spell auras.

Then we have invisibility and improved invisibility. When sustained upon a person they make them undetectable to the metahuman eye (or cameras, ultrasound will still show them unless they have silence on them as well). One version actually wraps light around the target whilst the other simply fools the mind into not seeing the physical presence of that target. On the astral, you would again merely need to perceive to notice a spell aura on top of a metahuman aura unless they had been masked. Now, if you wanted to know that the aura was in fact an invisibility spell, then it's a simple matter of aura reading it. But if you see a door open and close, with nobody around, and you decide to astrally perceive and see an aura moving about... I'll give you 10:1 odds that it is a person with an invisibility spell on. Or if it shows as a spirit aura, someone being concealed.
2bit
QUOTE (2bit)
Don't forget that the observer has to perceive an aura in the first place to make an assensing test!

Ta da. Fixed. The point is, you have to know there's an aura there to assense. Duh. If you allow someone to assense an aura they don't know is there, you have failed as a GM.
QUOTE (Demerzel)
The point is that illusions decieve perception, regardless if it is astral or physical. Your perception cannot defeat the illusion, only by assensing (Using a non defaultable skill) can you see that.
I can only accept this if the observer is the subject of the spell. Cast on anything else, the spell's aura remains in plain sight. It cannot deceive observers into not perceiving its aura, or the auras of its subject(s). Illusions have no power over auras.

edit: also for the purpose of this discussion we may distinguish the words "perceive" and "assense" as being what is visible to astral perception and the assensing test, respectively, but it must be noted that the book often uses these terms interchangably.
hyzmarca
Okay. If you cast a trid phantasm spell on the physical plane, an Astral only being would not be able to see the illusion because of the barrier between the planes. An astral spirit would or a projecting mage would look at a character with Improved Invisibility cast on him and see that character as plain as day.

Casting a mana illusion on the astral plane allows observers with no physical presence to see the illusion, although those with no astral presence cannot. While a magical aura would be noticeable, there would be no way to infer what exactly the magical aura is without assensing.
2bit
Jeez, I mean, the description of the Invisibility spell even states flat out that the subject's aura is still visible to astral perception. Are you going to tell me that's "Unique to invisibility because it's in the spell's description", Demerzel?
Demerzel
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Illusions deceive perceptions on the physical plane, yes. But you can show me an example, in any edition, where they have fooled sense on the astral?

QUOTE (SR4 p.201)
manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Let us start with phantasm and trid phantasm. One is mana based, one is physical based, the only real difference in the spell is that one is not detected by cameras.

Not really, the only difference between them is one is Type: P, one is Type: M. What does this mean, well, type M has no affect on non-living objects. Type P has no affect on non-physical objects (objects including spirits, characters, etc. exclusively in the Astral.

We know that manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, and that, “Realistic illusions seem completely real” (p. 201). So it is on the astral plan and seems completely real. Lucky for Mr. Assensing Mage, you have a easy out, if and only if you happen to Assense the item you need only succeed on an Assensing Test (using a skill you cannot default, a skill to use an example the combat mage archetype lacks), then you can know that while it seems completely real it is in fact an illusion.

QUOTE (2bit)
Jeez, I mean, the description of the Invisibility spell even states flat out that the subject's aura is still visible to astral perception. Are you going to tell me that's "Unique to invisibility because it's in the spell's description", Demerzel?

Jeez, I mean how can you not get that when it says you have to succeed at an Assensing Test means you have to succeed on an Assensing Test.

You want me to explain the case of invisibility being special, here it is:
First, it says so in the description.
Second, “Spells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell.” (p.182)

Phantasm is an area spell. What do you know about the aura of an area spell? Nothing, you’re making a load of assumptions to support your misconception of Astral Space. You assume that when I cast Phantasm on an area, and create an item somewhere in that area, then that item carries the aura of the spell, and it’s suddenly clear that that item is not what it appears because it has this aura. That’s an extremely wild assumption and significantly more wild than the assumption that an astrally perceiving character must actually follow the rule that says they must succeed on an Assensing Test to realize that the item is not what it appears but is in fact an illusion. Give me the place where it says what the aura of an area spell is like, if you can’t do it consider revising your concept of astral phenomena to include the rules, such as the fact that when you see an illusion you cave to succeed on an Assensing Test in order to realize it is an illusion. Not to realize that it is an Illusion with a capital I, because it’s not talking about realizing what the class of the spell is, it’s talking about realizing what you’re seeing isn’t what you think it is.

QUOTE (2bit)
also for the purpose of this discussion we may distinguish the words "perceive" and "assense" as being what is visible to astral perception and the assensing test, respectively, but it must be noted that the book often uses these terms interchangably. 

In this case it is specific in that it requires an Assensing Test with capital letters, so regardless if there is any case where the interchangeability is in question then this is not one. Then here’s the challenge, show me cases where the term assense is used in a way that you think could be perceived without changing the meaning.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Demerzel)

You assume that when I cast Phantasm on an area, and create an item somewhere in that area, then that item carries the aura of the spell, and it’s suddenly clear that that item is not what it appears because it has this aura. That’s an extremely wild assumption and significantly more wild than the assumption that an astrally perceiving character must actually follow the rule that says they must succeed on an Assensing Test to realize that the item is not what it appears but is in fact an illusion.

There is no assumption that the illusory object carries the aura of "the" spell, and can therefore tell us automatically it is an illusion. All it carries is the aura of 'here there be a spell'. If you do nothing more, then you know nothing more. You must Assense in order to know it is an illusion. If you don't Assense, it could be any one of a number of things: illusory, real and enspelled, whatever.

The rule you hang onto for dear life says nothing more, and your interpretation above of that rule is quite correct, "they must succeed on an Assensing Test to realize that the item is not what it appears but is in fact an illusion."
Demerzel
But you still assume that it carries an aura of "here there be a spell", when really the spell is not the item created, it is not localized at the object or any of the objecs. The fact that you give away for free that it is one of a limited list of objects including real but enspelled is misleading. The aura of the phantasm won't be localized on any object created by it, it is not cast on the illusory object it is cast on the area. You look at yonder phantasm and all you see is the phantasm. The aura, that's ill defined, and I don't see why so many people think that it somehow instantly invalidates the illusion, or even more simply calls attention to it.
Ravor
Demerzel, according to the spell description the mana version of Invisiblity pulls the exact same Mind Rape that the other mana Illusion spells do, but yet we know that it is useless against Astral Sight because illusion spells can not affect Auras, including their own. The fact that a Mage has failed his 'save' against the mana version of Invisiblity has zero bearing on his Astral Sight despite having fallen victim to the spell's Mind Rape.

That is why so many people disagree with you and I dare-say that perhaps you should think about reconsidering your "misconception of Astral Space."
X-Kalibur
Because there is no reason for a cardboard box to have a bright, shiny aura about it... I'd say thats a pretty good reason.

<edited to include the above post>
Which is precisely what I said earlier and was consequently ignored. The only ability that can change an aura is the masking metamagic. There are no spells that can affect the aura of a spell or effect on the astral plane (short of say a healing spell on someone from near death, that would change their aura intrinsicly)
Demerzel
QUOTE (Ravor)
but yet we know that it is useless against Astral Sight because illusion spells can not affect Auras, including their own.

But you see that's the problem, illusions cannot fool assensing. It says nothing about not being able to fool Astral Sight. It says nothing about not being able to create something that looks like an apropriate aura to astral sight, until you apply your assensing skill and succeed on an Assensing Test, and see the difference.
Demerzel
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Because there is no reason for a cardboard box to have a bright, shiny aura about it... I'd say thats a pretty good reason.

Which is precisely what I said earlier and was consequently ignored. The only ability that can change an aura is the masking metamagic. There are no spells that can affect the aura of a spell or effect on the astral plane (short of say a healing spell on someone from near death, that would change their aura intrinsicly)

Thats the best part, there is no reason for a cardboard box to have an aura around it. Likewise this illusory cardboard box does not have a bright shiny aura around it. There is no reason for it to have a birght shiny aura around it. Noowhere is there any where in SR4 that says the creation of an illusion spell has a bright shiney aura around it.
X-Kalibur
Sure they can. If you roll no successes on your assenssing test you've been fooled, there is no doubt about that. But you still know the location of said magical aura and the only way for it to be hidden is through masking.
Demerzel
What magical aura? Where is it? Around the box? Why is it around the box, cite your source.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 2 2007, 03:16 PM)

Thats the best part, there is no reason for a cardboard box to have an aura around it. Likewise this illusory cardboard box does not have a bright shiny aura around it. There is no reason for it to have a birght shiny aura around it. Noowhere is there any where in SR4 that says the creation of an illusion spell has a bright shiney aura around it.

All spells have an aura. This is explicitly stated. Even your AoE spells will leave behind an aura for a time (background count) regardless of being physical or mana in nature. That cardboard box will have a magical aura about it because it is the effect of a spell.
Demerzel
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 2 2007, 03:23 PM)
All spells have an aura. This is explicitly stated. Even your AoE spells will leave behind an aura for a time (background count) regardless of being physical or mana in nature. That cardboard box will have a magical aura about it because it is the effect of a spell.

What makes that point to or surround the box specifically?

AoE spells don't leave behind background count, they leave behind a signature. That signature is nothing like an aura. It is a signature, like a fingerprint. A fingerprint that is not visible unless you achieve 3 successes on an Assensing Test. But there you go, I bet you want to throw that out too, you can imidiatly tell that there is a signature becuase it's super easy to see anything in astral space.

You're also absolutely failing to se that there is no box. There is nothing there to have an aura, it is an illusion, the effect of the spell is in your brain. You want to see the aura? Look at yourself. What makes you think the box is anything special?
mfb
edit: nm, misread.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Thats the best part, there is no reason for a cardboard box to have an aura around it.

It has an gray shadow representing it on the astral plane.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
There is no reason for it to have a birght shiny aura around it.  Noowhere is there any where in SR4 that says the creation of an illusion spell has a bright shiney aura around it.

Wrong.
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 182, Astral Perception)
Without attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.).
Demerzel
That does not come close to implying that a nonexistant figment of your imagination carries the aura of the spell that created it.
Rotbart van Dainig
No, that comes close to stating that spell have auras that are immediately obvious, both in presence and basic nature.

What is implied in the whole chapter is the fact that entity and Aura are linked and move inseparable.

That means that your illusion of a carbox may not leave the shadow of a real carbox, but will have the aura of a spell - which is obvious, no test needed.
Demerzel
The box doesn't exist. The spell exists, and the closest thing that says anything about where the aura of the spell is is this statement:

QUOTE (SR4 p.182)
Spells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell.

At best, the aura of the illusion spell is around the percievers of the illusion. That does nothing to make the box stand out in any way.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel @ May 3 2007, 01:38 AM)
The spell exists, and the closest thing that says anything about where the aura of the spell is is this statement:

QUOTE (SR4 p.182)
Spells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell.

At best, the aura of the illusion spell is around the percievers of the illusion. That does nothing to make the box stand out in any way.

You are confusing target and victim.
Illusions are not cast on their victims, they are either just cast (at a location) or at a target person, or object.
As your quote only concerns the case of a person, the basic premise of the aura being where the entity is, isn't changed.

So let us summerize:

From astral perception, spell are obvious in nature.
Even when casting them on an individual, they are clearly seperate.

That rules out any possibility of using them as astral camouflage.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
You are confusing target and victim.
Illusions are not cast on their victims, they are either just cast (at a location) or at a target person, or object.
As your quote only concerns the case of a person, the basic premise of the aura being where the entity is, isn't changed.

Well, actually that's not correct. Illusions van be targeted at the perciever, the Chaos type spells for example are in their single target versions targeted at an individual. A blanket statement like that falls short, so you should reconsider what that means on your outlook of what an illusion spell really is.

So let us summerize:

From astral perception, spell are obvious in nature.
Even when casting them on an individual, they are clearly seperate.

That rules out any possibility of using them as astral camouflage.

Okay, spells are obvious. If you look at the aura of a spell perhaps you can see that it is simply a spell. However you have not at all shown that the figments of your imagination the spell creates is in any way eminating the aura of the spell.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Okay, spells are obvious. If you look at the aura of a spell perhaps you can see that it is simply a spell. However you have not at all shown that the figments of your imagination the spell creates is in any way eminating the aura of the spell.

Ok, so we are in agreement that a spell has an immediately noticeable aura. Now, the question remains, where might that aura be?

I create the illusion of a box around me to hide myself in the warehouse. Where in astral space would the aura of the illusion spell be?

600 km from the illusory box? Not by any stretch of imagination or logic.
6 km from the box? Ditto.
60 m from the box? Nope.
60 cm from the box? Maybe. At that point, or any closer, does it matter? Somewhere in the immediate vicinity of a perfectly normal-looking box is an aura of 'spellness'. What the character does with that info is up to him.

Demerzel
The question of where is the aura is a profound one. And it's not well specified. I feel a little trapped because you went from 60 m to 60cm, I'd be more inclined to say it's somewhere between that perhaps.

It is an AOE spell. The box is only part of the effect of the spell. You could have 100 boxes or a variety of things. The area of an AOE spell is base radius equal to force in meters, and can be expanded by witholding dice.

The spell itself is a sphere of (Force +/- modifiers)m in radius. Perhaps the aura is a sphere as well...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel @ May 3 2007, 01:58 AM)
However you have not at all shown that the figments of your imagination the spell creates is in any way eminating the aura of the spell.

Indeed, this is implied.

Using the same rationale, there is nothing that explicitly states that the aura of the character is with him... in fact, the whole idea that you perceive the same room in the astral as you do in the physical world is never really explicitly stated.

However, Phantasm, the spell used to create the illusion of a cardbox, is an area spell, and the object only may be created within that area, leaving the aura of the spell within it, too.

It still is completely moot as astral camouflage, since it does not hide your aura in any way... and will alert astral security even more likely, as you influence a lager area.
hyzmarca
Actually, it would hide your aura if the box was large enough, since a character can't see through the illusion without resisting it. While the observer would know that the box is a phantasm illusion with enough assessing tests, the observer would not know what is in the box as it would remain fully opaque from the observer's perspective.

One could take advantage of this by creating multiple phantasmic astral boxes and hiding in one. However, it is important to note that this really only helps if you are projecting or if your perusers are always astrally active, because a phantasm spell cast on the astral plane will be invisible to a purely physical observer just as an illusion spell cast on the physical plane will not do anything to a purely astral observer.
Demerzel
Consider this scenario:

Bob the occult investigator is fleeing from Tom the combat mage. Bob switches into astral perception, making him dual natured, so his illusion spell also will affect both planes. Bob runs around a corner into an alleyway, and casts Phantasm; he creates an illusion of the far wall 2 feet closer than it really is, effectively narrowing the alley by two feet. The scene he creates also contains illusion of him running down the alley away from the combat mage. To complete the scene Bob makes a large fire elemental blocking the path.

His hope is that Tom the combat mage runs into the alley and sees a fire elemental standing there. If he’s astrally perceiving he can tell that there’s an illusion in effect and decides that perhaps the fire elemental is an illusion to stop him and looks past the elemental and sees his quarry fleeing down the alley around another corner, continues the pursuit.

Now the spell has an aura. Most importantly it is a single aura, so at best the aura encompasses the entire area of the spell. Tom would have to assense the wall to see that the shadow of the wall is not convincing enough to fool his assensing. Since it says that Illusions cannot fool assensing, however Tom needs a success on an Assensing Test to make that determination, and unfortunately the powers that be decided that the Combat Mage didn’t need assensing skill.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
QUOTE (toturi)
Yes, that is what I do. Sometimes in a firefight, my players do not get told many things and friendly fire happens.

Thats nice, but remember that the according to sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif the Perception/Assensing Tests are not limited to firefights, and if you really want to be in complete agreement with sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif then you need to take that behavior and apply it every time you describe anything, including the results from the character's own actions.

Already said I do that. Just that in a firefight there are much more modifiers to take into consideration. I had assumed that normal situations are not worth the mention is all.
Ravor
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Consider this scenario:

Bob the occult investigator is fleeing from Tom the combat mage. Bob switches into astral perception, making him dual natured, so his illusion spell also will affect both planes. Bob runs around a corner into an alleyway, and casts Phantasm; he creates an illusion of the far wall 2 feet closer than it really is, effectively narrowing the alley by two feet. The scene he creates also contains illusion of him running down the alley away from the combat mage. To complete the scene Bob makes a large fire elemental blocking the path.

His hope is that Tom the combat mage runs into the alley and sees a fire elemental standing there. If he’s astrally perceiving he can tell that there’s an illusion in effect and decides that perhaps the fire elemental is an illusion to stop him and looks past the elemental and sees his quarry fleeing down the alley around another corner, continues the pursuit.

Now the spell has an aura. Most importantly it is a single aura, so at best the aura encompasses the entire area of the spell. Tom would have to assense the wall to see that the shadow of the wall is not convincing enough to fool his assensing. Since it says that Illusions cannot fool assensing, however Tom needs a success on an Assensing Test to make that determination, and unfortunately the powers that be decided that the Combat Mage didn’t need assensing skill.

You know Demerzel, I think we can actually agree that this example would probably work. The pursuing mage would be aware via Astral Sight that there is a spell being sustained all over that alley, and if he was unable to make the required successes on an Assensing Test then that is all that he'd know.

However, I'd dare say that if the sample characters weren't built so poorly then Bob would most likely still be screwed because the mere fact that a spell is being sustained in the ally is cause for a mage to make an Assensing Test.

<Edit> And once that happened then Bob would still be toast.

<Edit 2.0> Although we may disagree on the following issue, the way I see things, one sucessful Assensing Test would be all that is required to pierce the entire Illusion, the pursuing Mage wouldn't have to seperately Assense the spirit/wall/fake Bob to tell that each piece was fake.

<Edit 3.1> And I'd still argue that if Bob had instead only created one illusionary box/wall instead of a complex and large scene then any smart mage would be able to put two and two together even before Assensing the alley due to the spell's aura being focused over the illusion's effect.

QUOTE (toturi)
Already said I do that. Just that in a firefight there are much more modifiers to take into consideration. I had assumed that normal situations are not worth the mention is all.

Whatever floats your boat man, more power to ya.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Actually, it would hide your aura if the box was large enough, since a character can't see through the illusion without resisting it. While the observer would know that the box is a phantasm illusion with enough assessing tests, the observer would not know what is in the box as it would remain fully opaque from the observer's perspective.

Unfortunatley, the presence and nature of the spell is obvious, so instead of being camouflaged, you stand out like a thumb.
The only thing the illusion might protect you from is LoS.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
His hope is that Tom the combat mage runs into the alley and sees a fire elemental standing there.  If he’s astrally perceiving he can tell that there’s an illusion in effect and decides that perhaps the fire elemental is an illusion to stop him and looks past the elemental and sees his quarry fleeing down the alley around another corner, continues the pursuit.

If he's astrally perceiving, he'll notice, without test, that there is a spell active, and that neither the fire elemental possesses an astral form/aura, nor his target an aura, since illusions can't create those.

If the implied fact that entitiy and aura are acting in parallel is valid in this game, then he would notice that the elemental, the target and the wall have the aura of a spell, resulting in a good guess what's been tried here.
The Jopp
One thing to remember though is WHY a magician would use astral perception if he sees something that ”looks” obvious.

If there is an illusion of someone throwing himself into a cab and driving away (with the hunted target hiding somewhere) then the magician is the target of the spell as soon as he enters the spells area. If he believes the spell then he would indeed find a way to track his target.

If the magician is a subject of the spell he might just believe that the target got away. Lets then say that “someone” he hunted drops the spell as soon as the illusionary cab is gone then there isn’t anything obvious on the astral, unless the mage makes an assensing test.

On the other hand – if the mage is already looking at the astral the spell would be obvious and he would see a spell is active.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure, but the whole point of the thread was 'why you can't get around astral perception'.
Demerzel
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Unfortunatley, the presence and nature of the spell is obvious, so instead of being camouflaged, you stand out like a thumb.

That's your misinterpretation, not the rules.
QUOTE (Demerzel)
His hope is that Tom the combat mage runs into the alley and sees a fire elemental standing there.  If he’s astrally perceiving he can tell that there’s an illusion in effect and decides that perhaps the fire elemental is an illusion to stop him and looks past the elemental and sees his quarry fleeing down the alley around another corner, continues the pursuit.

If he's astrally perceiving, he'll notice, without test, that there is a spell active, and that neither the fire elemental possesses an astral form/aura, nor his target an aura, since illusions can't create those.

Again there's nothing that says that. You're taking this:
QUOTE (SR4 p.201)
Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.

And assuming that the authors just forgot that assensing differs from astral perception, and that they really meant to say, "Illusions cannot disguise or create auras", or all that other stuff, about the skill assensing not astral perception, was just their cat walking across their keyboard.
If the implied fact that entitiy and aura are acting in parallel is valid in this game, then he would notice that the elemental, the target and the wall have the aura of a spell, resulting in a good guess what's been tried here.

The wall is not an entity it is a figment of your imagination. There is nothing there. Don't let the illusion fool you! It's making you think that something is there when it isn't.

You're throwing around this concept of a spell's aura a lot. But how do you explain that there are three separate aura's in this scene, the spell is not three spells, it does not have three auras, no one of those three phantasms is an object of the spell. The spell does not create them, if gives the viewer the perception that they are there. You have not once given any indication as to why you think that the aura must be occupying the same space as this nonexistent object.

Your theory of parallelism is not applicable to the argument you’re making. The box is not the spell, the wall is not the spell, the elemental is not the spell, and the image of a fleeing occult investigator is not the spell. The spell is only described as an Area of Effect, and the best SR4 ever comes to describing what the aura of a spell looks like is when they describe how it affects the individual.

If the full intent of the rules for illusions was that anyone astrally perceiving automatically knew that they were illusions there would be no reason to include language that requires a successful assensing test. They would have just said, “Illusions have no ability to fool anyone using Astral Perception.” Instead they use twice the words to describe the limited situation where illusions are weakened vs. Astral Perception. Yet you choose to throw those out.
Sure, but the whole point of the thread was 'why you can't get around astral perception'.

Well, perhaps for you, I'm seeing it as rather a why you can.
coolgrafix
I just noticed this thread and sat down and read the whole bloody 6 page mess. What immediately struck me is the irony in Demerzel's repeated declaration "That's your misinterpretation, not the rules," when clearly everyone else here including myself can see that it's Demerzel who is clinging to his own misinterpretation of the rules. No offense meant. wink.gif

Just had to see what kept this topic going so long.

Ciao! =)
pbangarth
QUOTE (Demerzel)
The question of where is the aura is a profound one. And it's not well specified. I feel a little trapped because you went from 60 m to 60cm, I'd be more inclined to say it's somewhere between that perhaps.

It is an AOE spell. The box is only part of the effect of the spell. You could have 100 boxes or a variety of things. The area of an AOE spell is base radius equal to force in meters, and can be expanded by witholding dice.

The spell itself is a sphere of (Force +/- modifiers)m in radius. Perhaps the aura is a sphere as well...

The (Force) m radius as a size for the spell aura makes sense.

There would be a spherical aura around the focal point of the spell. (Something has to be the target of the spell.) It would be useful under some circumstances for the mage casting the spell to withhold dice in order to make that aura smaller, and maybe hidable behind/among other auric things.

So then it would be up to the character, if she comes across this phenomenon, to decide whether investigating a spherical spell aura would be appropriate.
Demerzel
Yea, that's the way I'm looking at it now. It seems like a clever use of illusions should be capable of misleading even astral observers, and in potentially time sensitive cases could be very useful.

The blanket stement that illusions are inneffective vs. Astral Observers is what I'm questioning here. They appear rather to be differently effective.
pbangarth
There, now, isn't that all better? I think this calls for a song!

Song
Demerzel
I don't think that it has satisfied Rotbart van Dainig yet.
Ravor
*Screams and shoots pbangarth until his clip runs dry*

Are you trying to Horror Mark the entire forum?

*Sits down and hums that soul sucking song over and over to himself*

Demerzel
You clicked the link? Don't you know links on DSF are like books in Call of Cthulu... Click at great peril to your sanity.
Ravor
True, but forbidden knowledge is like a moth to a flame... silly.gif
Demerzel
Or is forbidden knowledge like a flame to a moth?
Ravor
Not if you strike and reverse it. You have to remember, I've just been exposed to mind numbing horrors from beyond the fringes of reality that man was never meant to know. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

That's your misinterpretation, not the rules.

Let's see:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 182, Astral Perception)
Without attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.).

That tells us the following:
Spells have Auras that are recognisable as spell aura without an Assensing test to read the aura.
And unless you use Stealth, you don't need an Assessensing test, either.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Demerzel)

Again there's nothing that says that.

Yeah, see&read above.

QUOTE (Demerzel)

The wall is not an entity it is a figment of your imagination. There is nothing there. Don't let the illusion fool you! It's making you think that something is there when it isn't.

The illusion spell is an entity with an Aura.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
You're throwing around this concept of a spell's aura a lot.  But how do you explain that there are three separate aura's in this scene, the spell is not three spells, it does not have three auras, no one of those three phantasms is an object of the spell.

Don't get me wrong, that's another problem of your example... there should be two individual auras, one of a living creature and one of a spirit... but there is only one, stretched across the scene - one of a spell.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
If the full intent of the rules for illusions was that anyone astrally perceiving automatically knew that they were illusions there would be no reason to include language that requires a successful assensing test.  They would have just said, “Illusions have no ability to fool anyone using Astral Perception.”
Instead they use twice the words to describe the limited situation where illusions are weakened vs. Astral Perception.  Yet you choose to throw those out.

Not quite. Im perfectly aware of:
Though manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182).

The fine point here is that anyone not making an assensing test will just notice the lack of living aura and the presence of a spell. To determine that said spell is an illusion spell, one must indeed make an Assensing test... with two hits.

QUOTE (Demerzel)

Well, perhaps for you, I'm seeing it as rather a why you can.

That is because you lack precision. wink.gif

Mana-based illusions are either cast to the real world, or the astral plane, but can't create auras.
Fine points aside:
If you create the illusion of a wall on the physical plane, it just creates the image of a wall on the physical plane. It doesn't create the astral shadows that make up the wall on the astral plane.

So the astrally perceiving security mage wouldn't even notice the illusion, as it affects the physical plane only, and just see the auras of a spell and Bob.
If you would have created the illusion of the wall on the astral plane, he would see the aura of a spell and a 'real' wall in astral space that simply can't be (but, no Bob at least)... unless an astral construct just popped in, which is highly unlikely.
2bit
that last one is a good point, rotbart. one of the things sorcery cannot do is cross the planes. Even if the casting magician is dual natured (astrally perceiving) at the time of spellcasting, the spell can only affect one plane.
2bit
Also a good point is that the illusion of a fire elemental will either have the aura of a spell, or no aura of its own (depending on your interpretation of how the aura of area effect spells appear). Neither will the phantom mage running down the alley.

If the casting magician had called down a real fire elemental, hoping his pursuer would think it was an illusion, astral perception would immediately reveal that it had the aura of a spirit.
Demerzel
I'll try and be specific:
Nothing says an illusion spell cannot create something that looks at a casual glance like an aura. The fire elemental will look like a fire elemental should in astral space, as will the illusion of the guy running down the alleyway.

The only limit an Illusion has is that it cannot fool assensing with respect to an aura. You must succeed on an assensing test or you're fooled.
Ravor
Yes, however Rotbart van Dainig and 2bit brought up some very damning counterpoints Demerzel.

For the sake of argument lets assume that an astral illusion can create what seems to be the astral form of a spirit and a man to someone who is merely using Astral Vision. (Granted the rules doesn't specify that the Spell can do that.)

However, even if you grant that it can create a psudo Aura, it also leaves its true Aura on everything that it touches which in the case of Bob's scene, stretches across the entire alley, including the Fire Spirit, Fake Bob, and the False Wall.

Also remember that at worse making an Assensing Test is a Complex Action, and can even be done while running, albeit at -2.

So assuming that the 'default' dicepool of 6 dice (Rating 3 in both Stat and Skill, although I'd imagine that in most cases Shadowrunners will tend to have a higher Dicepool to draw upon.) the odds of a pursuing Mage seeing through the illusion are as follows.

Stops and Assenses the Scene: 64.8834019204389%

Assenses the Scene while running: 40.7407407407407%

Assenses the Scene while running & distracted: 11.1111111111111

Now if we assume that he really wants to catch Bob and is willing to spend Edge for a dicepool of 9 dice the scene breaks down thus. (Note, I'm not sure if Scot Gray's Diceroller understands the concept of Exploding 6s, so that might change the odds quite a bit.)

Stops and Assenses the Scene: 85.6932378194381%

Assenses the Scene while running: 73.6625514403292%

Assenses the Scene while running & distracted: 53.9094650205761%

So even under the best of situations where the pursuing Mage is hurried and distracted provided that he still has some Edge left to spend (And lets face it, this is the type of situation where Edge is supposed to be spent so if he's got it then he'll spend it.) a merely average mage will still see right through Bob's Illusion better then half of the time. And even if he doesn't pierce the Illusion itself he'll know that sorcery of some sort is at work in that Alley, and it doesn't really take a Thaumatury Major to guess that more then likely the trickery is going to be some sort of illusion.

So I guess upon further reflection I'm back to the posistion that Illusion spells are really rather useless against Astral Vision, because even if you assume that they can create a psudo Aura (And if they can create a psudo Aura then why can't they disguise a real one to casual Astral Perception?), they will always declare that there is a working spell present and that by itself will oftentimes be enough to ruin the illusion's effectiveness.

However, I think a previous poster said it best, the trick is to create an illusion in such a manner that the pursuing Mage doesn't think to use Astral Vision on it in the first place. After all, how likely is a Mage to switch over to Astral Vision after seeing his prey jump into a taxi and speed off?
Demerzel
QUOTE (Ravor)
Yes, however Rotbart van Dainig and 2bit brought up some very damning counterpoints Demerzel.

I guess the problem is I don’t see these damning points. What I see is a base assumption that illusions are instantly pierced by anyone using astral perception. With the sole support being the line under astral perception that says:
QUOTE (SR4 p.182)

What am I missing?

QUOTE (Ravor)
For the sake of argument lets assume that an astral illusion can create what seems to be the astral form of a spirit and a man to someone who is merely using Astral Vision. (Granted the rules doesn't specify that the Spell can do that.)

I think the rules do specify that an illusion can do that.

First of all, you have to agree that the rules presented for illusions supersede all previous rules. If you can’t accept that rules presented under a power do not allow you to deviate from the standard rules we have problems. Like I pointed out earlier with the Fubuki example.

QUOTE (SR4 p.202)
They can create an illusion of anything the caster has seen before
So an illusion spell can create the illusion of an aura.

We know that illusions can be created on the astral plane because there is this rule:
QUOTE (SR4 p.201)
Though manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182). Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.
Now you might say, there, it says illusions cannot disguise or create auras, but it does not, it has three more words that are critical to it’s meaning.

Now going back to the, “Without attempting to read an aura” part (note you’re not trying to use assensing here so you’re fooled because the only limit is to fooling assensing), you see what the creator of the illusion wants you to see.

There is this problem however, that there is somewhere around here the aura of the illusion spell, and that is around somewhere. What isn’t clear is where it is. I would say at worst the aura occupies the entire sphere of influence, aura’s are after all permeable, they do not block movement or sight. So what this tells me is the creator of the illusion better come up with something that is not immediately given away by the presence of an area spell being sustained in the area.

That would be the purpose of the elemental in the Bob and Tom example, the hope is that he would then look at the elemental, determine that it is an illusion and designed to delay his pursuit. So as a result he does not try and read the aura of the Wall, or the Fake Bob.

QUOTE (Ravor)
However, even if you grant that it can create a psudo Aura, it also leaves its true Aura on everything that it touches which in the case of Bob's scene, stretches across the entire alley, including the Fire Spirit, Fake Bob, and the False Wall.

I’m not sure that is quite clear. It does leave its signature on everything it touches, and that takes 3 hits on a Assensing test to see so is not relevant because with 1 hit he sees that the thing he’s looking at is indeed not a real aura and is an illusion. As to the location of the Aura of the Illusion spell, well, again that’s not clear but I don’t see any reason why you would think it emanates from the illusory objects that don’t even really exist.

QUOTE (Ravor)
Also remember that at worse making an Assensing Test is a Complex Action, and can even be done while running, albeit at -2.

Not a problem, the point is there would be no reason for the pursuit to assense the wall or the form he’s chasing. If you want to say that you can assense the whole scene then we’ve got another discussion. I’m not of the opinion that you can Aura Read everything you see all at one glance, you should have to aura read a specific aura with each Use Skill (Assensing) action. Imagine the ramifications to the game if at a moments glance at a crowd a skilled aura reader could look over ten thousand people and pick out the people with a certain disease, or the Technomancers, etc.

If we can agree on not being able to read all the auras you can see in one go then that changes somewhat your numbers on detecting every part of the illusion, since the goal would be to give the pursuer something to read other than the wall, and a different conclusion to come up with.
Rotbart van Dainig
First off, the question of meaning, as in, the intention of the author, is best left to a mail to Rob.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
There is this problem however, that there is somewhere around here the aura of the illusion spell, and that is around somewhere.  What isn’t clear is where it is.  I would say at worst the aura occupies the entire sphere of influence, aura’s are after all permeable, they do not block movement or sight.  So what this tells me is the creator of the illusion better come up with something that is not immediately given away by the presence of an area spell being sustained in the area.

And as a fan of the implied premise of parallelity, I'll add the thought that the distribution of Mana should be in correspondence to the resulting Effect, making the Aura of the illusion spell distributed towards the illusions.

But, that's not the point...
QUOTE (Demerzel)
If you want to say that you can assense the whole scene then we’ve got another discussion.  I’m not of the opinion that you can Aura Read everything you see all at one glance, you should have to aura read a specific aura with each Use Skill (Assensing) action.

In this specific case, given that bob indeed is hidden from sight, there is just one real aura - the one of the illusion spell.
And, unfortunatly for Bob, no-one sane will run down a corridor that is glowing in the Aura of a spell before checking...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012