Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment spirit power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
X-Kalibur
I think the best solution would be to start a poll... namely because, nothing against the people that wrote up the FAQ, but some of that stuff was wonky as hell and not conducive with previous editions.
pbangarth
I don't see what the problem is. You need no Assensing test to see that the thing before you( in astral space) is magical... the aura tells you so, no matter what shape it has or what it may be hiding or emulating. You need an Assensing test to know it is an illusion of a box. Why are folks trying to make it more difficult?
Demerzel
So you're saying that the rule that says you need to succeed at an Assensing Test is to be disregarded, because . . . ?
Ravor
For the same reasons that no-one really calls for a Perception Test at -2 in order to notice a running crowd despite RAW using it as an example of what to call for a Perception Test in order to notice.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Demerzel)
So you're saying that the rule that says you need to succeed at an Assensing Test is to be disregarded, because . . . ?

.... because if there is a contradiction or confusion in the rules you have to go back to the most basic level and definitions, in this case the rules on Astral Perception on page 182 of SR4.

The contradiction occurs in the rules on Illusions (p. 201) where it says, "(t)hough mana-based illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical aura gives them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182)."

This is contradicted by the immediately following statement, "(i)llusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras"

...and by "(s)pells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell" (p. 182)

...and by "(i)interpreting [emphasis mine] auras to gain information about the person or thing to whom they belong is called assensing. A magician who wishes to learn more [emphasis mine] about an aura must make an Intuition +Assensing Test..." (p. 182)

...and by "(w)ithout attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.)" (p. 182)

So from the basic definitions on page 182 of SR4, if on the astral plane your line of sight to the illusionary box is not obscured or occluded by intervening materials, then you will automatically know it is a spell, without having to Assense it. You will have to Assense it to know more... for example to know it is an illusion, or to see through it to the magician hiding behind it.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor @ May 1 2007, 08:39 AM)
For the same reasons that no-one really calls for a Perception Test at -2 in order to notice a running crowd despite RAW using it as an example of what to call for a Perception Test in order to notice.

You wanna bet? A low Intuition orc with no Perception, distracted, did not notice that there was an angry Humanis mob coming his way... It happened in my game.

Obvious/Large/Loud =! Immediately Noticeable.

Astrally Immediately Noticeable things are well defined under Astral Perception. Others things the GM has to decide the Threshold.
Ravor
Exceptions only prove the rule toturi. cool.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
Exceptions only prove the rule toturi. cool.gif

The rules do not need to be proven Ravor. They are. You just follow them.
Ravor
Question everything, trust nothing. cool.gif

*Edit*

By the way, I did notice that you edited your post... cyber.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
Question everything, trust nothing. cool.gif

And where is that rule found? If it isn't in the books, it is not canon.
Ravor
I've evolved beyond the need for Canon. *Manical Laughter*

cool.gif notworthy.gif rollin.gif cyber.gif silly.gif

Because remember, there is no spoon.

*Wanders off to find the nice young men in the clean white coats...* dead.gif

scatter.gif alien.gif scatter.gif
Demerzel
QUOTE (pbangarth)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Apr 30 2007, 11:55 PM)

.... because if there is a contradiction or confusion in the rules you have to go back to the most basic level and definitions, in this case the rules on Astral Perception on page 182 of SR4.

No, the rules create a set of foundations, and then build upon them. The reference to p 182 is how to do an Assensing Test, not a reference to countermand the very sentence the reference is in. The meaning of that rule is, you must make the test to detect that it is an illusion and not real, and here’s where you find the rules about how to make assensing tests.

QUOTE (pbangarth)
The contradiction occurs in the rules on Illusions (p. 201) where it says, "(t)hough mana-based illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical aura gives them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182)."

This is contradicted by the immediately following statement, "(i)llusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras"

It cannot fool assensing, but you have to be able to assense it successfully in order to not be fooled.

QUOTE (pbangarth)
...and by "(s)pells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell" (p. 182)

The spell is not cast on an individual, so this is pointless. At best the aura of the spell is the aura of the object it is mimicking, and this is why you have to succeed on an assensing test to detect the falsehood in the aura. Regardless if the thing being mimicked is a Stone, a Shrubbery, a Great Eastern Dragon or a Cardboard Box.

QUOTE (pbangarth)
...and by "(i)interpreting [emphasis mine] auras to gain information about the person or thing to whom they belong is called assensing.  A magician who wishes to learn  more [emphasis mine] about an aura must make an Intuition +Assensing Test..." (p. 182)

...and by "(w)ithout attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.)" (p. 182)

Except in this case that magician is being fooled by an illusion spell. If they even see the phantasmal object that means they lost their resistance test. They must investigate the nature of the object specifically to get to detect the illusion.

QUOTE (pbangarth)
So from the basic definitions on page 182 of SR4, if on the astral plane your line of sight to the illusionary box is not obscured or occluded by intervening materials, then you will automatically know it is a spell, without having to Assense it.  You will have to Assense it to know more... for example to know it is an illusion, or to see through it to the magician hiding behind it.

In fact no, from the basic definition on page 182 you learn how to conduct an assensing test, so that if your mage who was fooled my a mental illusion has the wherewithal to assense the aura of the phantasmal object then they get a free pass on detecting the illusion, if and only if they succeed on the Assensing Test.
nathanross
Can we all just agree to disagree and quit trying to prove to each other something that cant be proven because the RAW sucks.

Either way, do the characters notice the box? I think it is unfair for the GM to just instantly write off that unless the character is percieving and chooses at random to assense the box/illusion spell. Even if the GM roles for the character, the character should have a chance to see it, unless he is not even astral.

And if you guys are going to keep on arguing, those in support of glowing spells, start actually quoting RAW even if an older edition, so far your argument lacks support, which those in disagreement have plenty of (and are so far winning the argument, if they would just calm down a bit)

Ross
Ranneko
Okay, I will bite
QUOTE ("Street Magic page 112")

Auras
  Unlike the dull gray shadows of physical objects, the reflections of living and magical things glow brightly in the astral. ..snip stuff about living things.. Magic auras 
are equally complex; spells, physical mana barriers, and active adept and critter powers are alive with color.[/i]

Illusions are spells, and thus are glow brightly and are alive with colour.

This does make illusions easy to spot on the astral as they are marked inherently as magical by the aura. Not only that but as pbangarth pointed out
QUOTE ("pbangarth")

Which means that you can't even use an illusion to mimic a person or spirit on the astral, because it is immediately obvious without even an attempt at reading the aura that the aura is a spell, rather than a spirit or person.

Happy now?

Now Demerzal will state that a mana illusion is all in the head, and thus the mage will unless they assense the aura, see the aura associated with the object. Despite as pbangarth quoted earlier
QUOTE ("pbangarth")
"(i)llusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras"(182)

So the best use of a mana illusion on the astral is to make someone think an object has a spell effect on it until they actually examine it more closely.
toturi
The wording on the Astral Perception and Assensing leaves much to be desired, IMO. It is not clear cut on whether a mana Illusion is an exception to the basic knowledge about the aura rule or is it merely restating the fact that an Assensing test is required to know what type of spell it is.

For GMs that want Astral Perception to break Illusion spells or simply want to keep things simple for themselves, they would rule it one way and for GMs that can see their way(pun pun) around the complex mess, they would rule it another way. For myself, until the writers clarify their stand, I would say that by the letter of the rules, Demerzel is correct - only because the Astral Perception rules themselves hop all over the damn place, one moment they are talking about 1 thing and the next about another, which to me, lend credance to Dem's arguments.
Which means that you can't even use an illusion to mimic a person or spirit on the astral, because it is immediately obvious without even an attempt at reading the aura that the aura is a spell, rather than a spirit or person.

Except when you are astrally perceiving an illusion.

Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.

No contradiction as you are no longer simply Astrally Perceiving an illusion, but instead you are Assensing it. Astral Perception =! Perceiving.
Ravor
QUOTE (toturi)
No contradiction as you are no longer simply Astrally Perceiving an illusion, but instead you are Assensing it. Astral Perception =! Perceiving.

However the problem with that is that when Street Magic talks about Astral Visiblity Modifers (page 114) it is clearly in the context that you use the Assensing Skill in order to make your Astral Perception checks.

And come on do you really want to hang your argument on a word game that flimsy?

<===>

Oh and before anyone complains about not actually quoting the section of RAW that I was referring to, I gave you the book's title and page number so you can look up the section if you're interested. I myself however am not prepared to painstakingly retype large sections of RAW when it is as clear as day that the other side simply isn't willing to listen. (Yes, this also works both ways as well.)

<===>
Demerzel
I hate to bring in something entirely unrelated like this, and it seems reductio ad absurdum arguments tend to fall on deaf ears here, but I’m going to try anyhow.

The argument that the rule that requires a successful Assensing Test (SR4 p.201 quoted many times already) is overridden by the fact that the section on assensing tests (SR4 p.182) is more general and takes precedence over the specific rule cannot be a valid method of interpretation.

Consider the Fubuki light pistol, its description contains the following rule:

QUOTE (SR4 p.307)
The Fubuki may only fire narrow bursts (not wide), but burst recoil is handled like SA recoil (–1 Recoil on the second burst each Action Phase only).

However this conflicts with the predefined burst fire rules,

QUOTE (SR4 p.142)
Burst-fire weapons receive a –2 recoil modifier for the first burst fired in that Action Phase and –3 for the second.

So if your method of interpretation is correct the Fubuki has normal recoil and the statement quoted above should be disregarded as conflicting the rules, and therefore invalid.

But in fact we do not interpret rules that way. In this case the Fubuki has a special rule that overrides the standard burst-fire rules.

Just like how illusions have special rules that override the normal perception rules, both in the cases of mundane perception and astral perception.
2bit
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Just to be clear as to what you mean 2bit. It's obvious that I'm wrong and that Manabased illusions created in the astral require no test to defeat despite the statement to the contrary on page 201?

Spells are astral objects (not object in the 3D sense, but object in the sense that it is an entity with its own aura), and no test is needed for an observer to determine the basic object category of an aura.

A quick astral glance is enough to see that your phantasmic box is, in fact, a spell. The fact that it is an illusion spell does not grant it the ability to mask its own aura. If it's a mana spell, it can be created in astral space. Physical spells cannot.

On the other hand, a quick glance is not enough to know that the "box-shaped spell" is an illusion spell. The observer is welcome to make thier own assumptions based on the context, of course, much like they might assume that lightning shooting from a magician's hands just might be a lightning bolt spell.
pbangarth
Ok, Demerzel, now *there* is an argument with some meat to it. It gave me some pause.

The precedent of the Fubuki pistol could be construed as legitimizing overriding the general rule of Assensing with the specific rule of perceiving the Illusion spell. At this point, then we are again at the stage of interpreting the wording.

I see the Fubuki text as consciously pointing out an exception to the general rule, and not putting that general rule into confusion or jeopardy. It is a machine designed to work differently. The wording of the Illusion spell description is not so clear and consciously stepping outside the general rule, and does make the general rule confusing (see our current thread for evidence).

I recognize your interpretation and allow it has validity. I just don't agree. There appear to be two camps in this thread that feel the same way. The same arguments are appearing repeatedly. It would appear to me to be wise at this point to agree to disagree. I will run my games with my interpretation, and live with whatever way any GM runs me as a player. How about you? And the rest of us?
Demerzel
Okay so here’s how I see it in another attempt to summarize:

The appropriate method of interpreting rules is, first understand the basic rule, and then apply the special characteristics of the power/item/etc.

P.182 outlines the basic methods for how Astral Perception works. Then illusions come along and change the rules. In this case it creates a general case of how to handle illusions:

That is, “Realistic illusions seem completely real.” (SR p. 201)

Then, if you’re using Astral Perception then you may have an easy out. While that illusion seems completely real, if you succeed on an Assensing Test then you get to pierce the illusion for free even though you failed your willpower roll.

The quote that’s going around does not create the ability to have illusions in the astral, that is created by rules that allow mana based spell effects to work in the astral. What it does do is weaken illusions, giving a second method of piercing in the astral. It does not completely invalidate them.

Now perhaps someone can summarize the other side better, but the way I see it the whole thing hinges on this requirement that you can simply see something and determine the class of object it is while astrally perceiving, and that nothing will ever change that, not the fact that illusions can be created on the astral, or that realistic illusions seem completely real.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
QUOTE (toturi)

However the problem with that is that when Street Magic talks about Astral Visiblity Modifers (page 114) it is clearly in the context that you use the Assensing Skill in order to make your Astral Perception checks.

And come on do you really want to hang your argument on a word game that flimsy?

Astral Perception checks require Assensing, when you actually roll some dice, yes. Flimsy or not, that's the rules as written, I don't write the rules, I just run them as written.
ornot
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Ravor @ May 1 2007, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)

Astral Perception checks require Assensing, when you actually roll some dice, yes. Flimsy or not, that's the rules as written, I don't write the rules, I just run them as written.

I'm not convinced... Unless you also require regular perception tests for seeing, I'd apply the same common sense "if it's obvious, you don't need to roll". In the example used a little while ago one would have to ask how carfully the searcher was looking (quick glance while running past vs. long scan) and how much other astral stuff and background there was between the searcher and the hiding target. If an invisible person was just standing there, or hiding in an illusory box in an alleyway the aura of the illusion would be pretty damn obvious. If there were a crowd of people, or a lot of other boxes in the way, it might require a test.

just my two nuyen.gif
toturi
QUOTE (ornot)
I'm not convinced... Unless you also require regular perception tests for seeing, I'd apply the same common sense "if it's obvious, you don't need to roll". In the example used a little while ago one would have to ask how carfully the searcher was looking (quick glance while running past vs. long scan) and how much other astral stuff and background there was between the searcher and the hiding target. If an invisible person was just standing there, or hiding in an illusory box in an alleyway the aura of the illusion would be pretty damn obvious. If there were a crowd of people, or a lot of other boxes in the way, it might require a test.

just my two nuyen.gif

You do not need to be convinced. All you need to do is follow the rules. The correct statement is "if it is immediately noticeable, you do not need to roll", not "if it is obvious". When you look for something(look as in sight), you roll Perception if it is not immediately noticeable. If something is obvious, you need only make Threshold 1.
Ravor
Then in that case to be *completely* within sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif you should be rolling Perception/Assensing Tests for every character every turn before taking them aside and describing what they "perceive".

But hey, if you want to run your game that way, more power to you toturi.
The Jopp
I think it is rather clear.

Example 1:
If a person is standing in plain sight with an illusion or other spell active that affects the perceiver that looks at the person or the person itself then the following is used:

The spell is immediately visible as the perceiver sees the spell – the individual in this case is unimportant, the spell is visible. If the perceiver wants more info about the spell and the individual an Assensing test is required for both.

Example 2:
A person has an active spell and is attemting to hide with an active spell/foci/etc/miniature giant space hamster/IE.

Since the person tries to hide the following is done to find him:

Assensing+Intuition (+/- Astral Modifiers)VS Infiltration+Agility

If the perceiver manages to find the (not so) stealthy intruder he will see a living aura with a spell active. In order to glean more info he must make an assensing test on both the spell and the individual.

Example 3: (from the thread)
A person is hiding inside an alley behind an illusionary box.

The magician will see the spell of the illusion but NOT the hiding person unless they make an opposed test as in example 1.

The active spell is obvious – the hiding person is not, that’s not to say that the hiding individual will be HARD to spot, but he’s still hiding.

ALL spells, foci etc are always visible on the astral, but not OBVIOUS on the astral if someone tries to hide. As long as no one actually tries to hide (themselves) their spells, foci etc will be visible.

This is my INTERPRETATION of the rules as it seems logical, I could be wrong though but I would still play with it.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
Then in that case to be *completely* within sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif you should be rolling Perception/Assensing Tests for every character every turn before taking them aside and describing what they "perceive".

But hey, if you want to run your game that way, more power to you toturi.

Yes, that is what I do. Sometimes in a firefight, my players do not get told many things and friendly fire happens.
The Jopp
QUOTE (toturi)

Yes, that is what I do. Sometimes in a firefight, my players do not get told many things and friendly fire happens.

In THIS case I would wholly agree as players as a whole don’t communicate very much in a 3-10 seconds firefight (or longer if no streetsam is around).

This would be especially important regarding invisible people, stealthy people and grenades.

In a firefight people will be more focused and since they are looking at one or two enemies and sighting their floating POV crosshair they might just not SEE that GRENADE that went high in the air and landed just behind them (quite silently amongst all the gunfire.)

Unless the enemy is hidden a perception test might be in order to see how many is discovered (or until muzzle flashes starts to appear from their hiding places).

I would not require a roll for each person per combat turn but it might be prudent depending on the situation at the beginning of the combat – that would give the GM initial information about who sees what.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (toturi)
You do not need to be convinced. All you need to do is follow the rules. The correct statement is "if it is immediately noticeable, you do not need to roll", not "if it is obvious". When you look for something(look as in sight), you roll Perception if it is not immediately noticeable. If something is obvious, you need only make Threshold 1.

Even if something is blatantly obvious doesn't mean that people will automatically notice. My suitemate was telling me a story last night from her father's friend, who is a member of the Ft. Lauderdale police department.

Apparently, sometime in the last few days a boater found a sea mine floating off the coast. Apparently knowing what he was doing, he captured it and found a "Property of the U.S. Navy" tag on it. He then called the Navy office in Ft. Lauderdale and basically asked, "Does this belong to you?" They said yes, and said that it was just a practice mine due to the bright orange strip on it. The guy asks if he'd get rewarded for turning it in at the Navy office. They say yes.

So, he tows a 500 pound mine with bright orange plastic banding on it behind his boat into Ft. Lauderdale... and right past all of the assembled Navy... Marines... Coast Guard... that were there that day. None of them noticed; they were only noticed by the Police Department when they were tying up at the dock.
Demerzel
I still don't understand why everyone is disregarding the fact that the illusion is affecting the minds of the observer and clinging to this obvious or not obvious issue. Sure it's obvious. Just like it it obvious when you look at empty space with normal perception that there is nothing there. Yet when you see an illusion you believe it, in the case of astral perception you get a bonus way out if you attempt to read the aura you are seeing.

If you cant accept that then you have to for all the same reasons say that it is obvious that nothing is there when you look with normal perception at empty space, and noone is ever fooled by any illusion and let's just throw them out.
The Jopp
QUOTE (bibliophile20)

So, he tows a 500 pound mine with bright orange plastic banding on it behind his boat into Ft. Lauderdale... and right past all of the assembled Navy... Marines... Coast Guard... that were there that day. None of them noticed; they were only noticed by the Police Department when they were tying up at the dock.

In game terms this would be the coastguard making a perception roll with the following modifier: It’s a NORMAL object so the threshold is 2 (it’s not HUGE)

Distracted (A large ferry is having trouble after colliding with a smaller boat)
Interfering Sight (Other boats, trafficked area)
Object stand out (Bright Orange Markings)
Object not in immediate vincinity (Other part of the harbour)
It’s a Light Rain

And most importantly of all, they might have botched their roll.

If the coast guard were players they might not have been expecting a huge mine being towed, it’s not normally what you would expect.
bibliophile20
But all of them failed to notice?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I still don't understand why everyone is disregarding the fact that the illusion is affecting the minds of the observer and clinging to this obvious or not obvious issue. Sure it's obvious. Just like it it obvious when you look at empty space with normal perception that there is nothing there. Yet when you see an illusion you believe it, in the case of astral perception you get a bonus way out if you attempt to read the aura you are seeing.

Here I would agree, to a point.

The target is invisible on the PHYSICAL plane and the magician would not see him if he is affected by the spell. He would on the other hand see the SPELL on the astral plane, AND the aura of the individual (unless the target is hiding, then we need an opposed test).

In the case of MIND CONTROL spells and SUGGESTIVE spells they could indeed work but they would have to be targeted on the perceiver to NOT SEE the target. Illusions places a spell on an area or person and thus it can be seen.
The Jopp
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
But all of them failed to notice?

The question is rather: How many were looking in that particular direction at the time?

It might have been three dudes glancing in that direction.
Demerzel
That requires unsupported assumptions about the aura's of spells. It requires that the aura of the spell is surounding a phantasmal box, when in fact it is not clear where the aura of an area spell is. There is specificity when it comes to spells cast on an individual, but Phantasm is an area spell. The box you see is just a box. If you're astral it's a shadow of a box. Furthermore, the spell broke your mind and you believe it. If however you assense the box you have the very curious situation of a box that has what? At best the signature of the caster, it lacks any emotional impressions even from casual handling, it's perfectly sterile, the usual germs and roaches aren't present. But for you to notice these things you have to . . . Oh can I really type it again . . . Okay . . . succeed on an Assensing Test.

Key points, the box is not the spell, one phantasm can affect an entire area, creating multiple illusions within that area, and where is the aura of the spell? At the center of the area, anywhere the caster wishes? On the caster? It's not specified. All that is specified is that . . . one more time . . . you must succeed on an Assensing Test to realize that you're being fooled by an illusion.
pbangarth
Demerzel, the aura of a spell is everywhere the spell is. So multiple boxes or whatever in an area all look lit-up in astral space.

Here is an angle I don't recall us dicussing yet. Objects in the material world are subject to the laws of physics. So a gun can be modified as long as it doesn't break those laws. To alter the laws of physics, you need a metaphysical technique, such as Magic. An illusion can be such a spell.

A spell works within the framework of the laws of Magic. It therefore has an aura which is instantly seen. In order to alter the laws of Magic, you must use a Meta-Magical technique, such as Masking, or in particular Extended Masking (SM p. 60-61): " ...allows the initiate to extend her Masking metamagic to encompass her foci and any spells she may have quickened, anchored, or may be sustaining..... To detect auras concealed with Extended Masking, a character need only make the usual Assensing + Intuition Opposed Test against the masking initiate's Intuition + Magic + initiate grade."

So, an illusion works on the material plane but not on the astral plane until it is Masked.

Comments?
Demerzel
QUOTE (pbangarth)
Demerzel, the aura of a spell is everywhere the spell is. So multiple boxes or whatever in an area all look lit-up in astral space.

Okay, so the part where I said that is unsupported comes to play. Tell me what makes you think that the aura of a spell is everywhere the spell is. It says specifically, "Spells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura
surrounding that person for the duration of the spell." Where do you get the assumption that the aura of the spell exists on all these boxes rather than say at the center of the AOE or at the point of origin of the spell, or permiating all space in the area . . .

2bit
while that's an interesting explanation, pbangarth, and I agree with where you end up, making a parallel between the words metaphysical and metamagic doesn't prove the point.
2bit
QUOTE (Demerzel @ May 2 2007, 10:24 AM)
Where do you get the assumption that the aura of the spell exists on all these boxes rather than say at the center of the AOE or at the point of origin of the spell, or permiating all space in the area . . .

Since the rules don't go into great detail on what the astral form of a spell "looks like", it's largely up to individual interpretation. There is an aura, and that's about as far as it gets. IMHO, the form of a spell would encompass all points in space, give or take, being affected by the spell.
Demerzel
Since the rules don't go into detail on the form the aura of a spell takes, then why can you use that nonspecificity to overrule the statement that an assensing test is required, rather than modify your unsupported interpretation of the aura of spells to match that printed rule?
2bit
Because it states there IS an aura, and that no test is required to determine what type of thing an aura is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.)

edit to add: and it's not the domain of illusion spells to mask auras.
hyzmarca
But why would the presence of a spell aura immediately make an astral being assume that the box is an illusion? It could be that some joker has anchored a hihe-force manaball to the box or someone is sustaining levitate on it or someone invented a Turn to Box spell and the box is actually a poor unfortunate person.
Demerzel
But you have no description of what a spells aura is like or any information regarding it's shape or form except in the statement that it becomes obvious if you succeed on an Assensing Test. Yet you'd prefer to ignore that, based on what? Nothing?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ May 2 2007, 09:34 AM)
So, he tows a 500 pound mine with bright orange plastic banding on it behind his boat into Ft. Lauderdale... and right past all of the assembled Navy... Marines... Coast Guard... that were there that day.  None of them noticed; they were only noticed by the Police Department when they were tying up at the dock.

And why would they bother to take notice of a guy towing a practice mine in for the reward? Even if they did see him, they'd really have no reason to do anything about it. There is no law against towing an unarmed practice mine.
pbangarth
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But why would the presence of a spell aura immediately make an astral being assume that the box is an illusion? It could be that some joker has anchored a hihe-force manaball to the box or someone is sustaining levitate on it or someone invented a Turn to Box spell and the box is actually a poor unfortunate person.

Exactly so. All that becomes immediately noticeable is "there exists a spell here". Then one must assense to learn more, such as what kind of spell.
2bit
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

I'm not saying it does. Just that, like you say, the illusion has a magical aura, which is immediately recognizable, without assensing test, as a spell. You could tell right away that it wasn't a person trapped by a Turn to Box spell, though, because the box would show up as a living creature. That's not something an illusion spell can hide or change.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
But you have no description of what a spells aura is like or any information regarding it's shape or form except in the statement that it becomes obvious if you succeed on an Assensing Test. Yet you'd prefer to ignore that, based on what? Nothing?

What statement is that? This one?
Though mana-based
illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical
auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful
Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182). Illusions
cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.

They're obvious as illusions on a successful assensing test. Somewhere along the line you got this crazy idea that because it's an illusion, you can't see the aura. The observer must be mystified, because as you keep quoting, the illusion seems completely real!!!! That may work on the physical plane, but nothing short of putting the illusion behind a brick wall is going to keep an astral observer from seeing a spell aura around the subject of the spell.

Don't forget that the observer has to see an aura in the first place to make an assensing test!

Demerzel
You need to make a distinction between astral perception and assensing. One is a skill one is a style of vision. The fact that the illusion can't fool assensing means that it cannot fool a dedicated attempt to read the aura. The attempt to percieve is affected by the illusion.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Demerzel)
You need to make a distinction between astral perception and assensing. One is a skill one is a style of vision. The fact that the illusion can't fool assensing means that it cannot fool a dedicated attempt to read the aura. The attempt to percieve is affected by the illusion.

Thats true to an extent. By simply perceiving the aura you know that it is, in fact, a spell. To gain further information an assensing test is required. If the spell is on a person you would see both the spell's aura and the person's aura. The only way to hide a magical aura on the astral plane is to mask it, this is a metamagic ability and no spell has the ability to duplicate it. Likewise, a spirit using it's concealment power on a person would show up both the spirit's power's aura and the person who is being concealed. This is without using assenssing. Assensing would be able to tell you what sort of power is being used on the person, or what type of spell has been sustained or anchored.
Ravor
QUOTE (toturi)

Thats nice, but remember that the according to sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif the Perception/Assensing Tests are not limited to firefights, and if you really want to be in complete agreement with sarcastic.gif RAW sarcastic.gif then you need to take that behavior and apply it every time you describe anything, including the results from the character's own actions.
hyzmarca
Lets get back to the original topic. Does the Concealment power make Assensing more difficult? I say yes and here is my justification.

I have always viewed the Concealment power as making a character blend into the terrain around him more easily, not just by altering the character directly, but also by altering the terrain. Spirit Powers can already affect things outside of their Target. Accident, for example, could weaken a rope holding up a piano above the Target's head. Some interpretations of the Movement power have it work by altering the air around a flying target and the ground beneath a running target's feet.

Out in the wilderness, there is no question that a character's aura could blend in with the aura's of plants and animals around him, making it much more difficult to spot a living creature in a forest or a jungle. For concealment to make it just that much more difficult to differentiate one living aura from another makes perfect sense. The who aura masking issue only really crops up in industrial areas where there will not be much life at all, and I am going to go so far as to say that the power can deal with this situation, as well, by causing subtle alterations to the terrain that make it more difficult for an astral being to spot the aura. It is, after all, a very abstract power.
Demerzel
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Thats true to an extent. By simply perceiving the aura you know that it is, in fact, a spell.

The point is that illusions decieve perception, regardless if it is astral or physical. Your perception cannot defeat the illusion, only by assensing (Using a non defaultable skill) can you see that.

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
To gain further information an assensing test is required. If the spell is on a person you would see both the spell's aura and the person's aura. The only way to hide a magical aura on the astral plane is to mask it, this is a metamagic ability and no spell has the ability to duplicate it.

Sure, but you have to Assense not percieve the aura, you have to Aura read (a specialty of the skill assensing), and succeed to detect the difference. Your perception was fooled because you couldn't defeat the spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012