Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment spirit power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sleepyman
Newbie GM trying to understand magic. We play SR4 rules by the book. Any help is appreciated. smile.gif

Here's the text:

Concealment
Type: P • Action: Simple • Range: LOS • Duration: Sustained Th is power refers to a critter’s ability to mystically hide itself or others, or alternatively to hide something that people are looking for. Concealment subtracts a number of dice equal to the critter’s Magic from any Perception Tests to locate the concealed subject. Concealment can be used on a number of targets simultaneously equal to the critter’s Magic; concealed subjects can see each other if the critter allows it.

I assume that leaves an astral signature just like any other sustained effect. If so, astral tracking done soon enough would take you right to the concealed object or individual. Yes?

What about a concealed character who is sneaking up on a spirit or character who is astrally perceiving? Is the concealed character harder to see in the astral plane or do they shine brightly because of the active power?
Sleepyman
Rotbart van Dainig
Performing Magic leaves Signatures - sustaining it only leaves a connection.
Thus, you can trace Spirit to User and vice versa.

As concealment is a physical power (P), it has no effect on Astral Perception.
Sleepyman
Thanks!

That makes sense, and I'll rule it that way from now on.

On the other hand, the description says "any perception tests" not "any perception tests on the physical plane". I guess I just have basic questions about astral perception. Two examples:

(1) Sneaky character with no magic and no astral perception but excellent infiltration skills approaching a building that has spirits on the lookout: Is his aura automatically detected? If not, what roll does he make and what roll does the spirit make?

(2) Sneaky character additionally concealed by a spirit: Does the extra aura of an active power give him away astrally?

We ruled that the spirits had to make a regular perception tests in both cases since assensing seems to be more analysis than detection. I'm still lost in this situation.
Sleepyman
Mistwalker
Yes, the spirit would still need to make perception tests to see your sneaky char.

Assenssing is the skill needed to ready auras, to know if the person is sick, hurt, happy, cybered, etc...

Perception is the skill needed to notice things, like a sneaky person, regardless of whether it is in astral or mundane space.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, no - Assensing is the Skill used for any perception on the Astral Plane.
If you want to notice something hidden, you still have to use Assensing.
Sleepyman
Actually, no - Assensing is the Skill used for any perception on the Astral Plane.

Ok, that makes things a lot simpler. I think we over analyzed the astral perception rules.

If you want to notice something hidden, you still have to use Assensing.

So I need to know how to run this. Let's say the character has infiltration 4, agility 6 and a chameleon suit. Two different spirits are on the lookout, a watcher and a force 3 spirit. Here goes:

(1) The chameleon suit says -4 dice on perception, not on assensing, so it does not help against the spirits unless the force 3 spirit was to materialize.

(2) The character's skill with infiltration still applies because, for instance, hiding behind things that make you less detectable in the physical world also shades your aura in the astral plane.

(3) I'm inclined to give the spirits 2 extra dice if the character is ignorant of the presence of these spirits.

(4) I'd give the spirits 4 extra dice if the character has an active spell or power on him, like concealment.

(5) I'd remove dice from the spirits' rolls based on the geometry of the situation just like I would for perception tests in the physical world, or possibly add dice if they walked right under the spirits' noses.

Thoughts?
Sleepyman
toturi
Assensing is the skill of learning information from auras, astral forms and astral signatures.

By the description of Astral Perception, it seems that an Assensing test is made only "when an astral being is specifically trying to hide or when a character is trying to astrally observe in detail". The problem here is what is an astral being, does it even include auras?

1) Correct.

2) May be infered so.

3, 4) No canon SR4 source modifier. As GM you have the right to house rule it so.

5) SM p114, Astral Visibility, may be useful.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Consider the description for the power Search.

QUOTE (SR4 p.290)
Critters with the Astral Form power may use Search in astral space and do not have to materialize while searching.

Search is also a Physical power, but it can be used purely from the astral, i.e. using astral perception only, and there is a negative dicepool modifier if there is a concealment power being used on the target. So as a result concealment must be able to hide things from the astral as well as from the physical.
nathanross
I hate to disagree with toturi, but I think that a chameleon suit will never help against a spirit. Despite a spirit materializing, they are always dual-natured and are still percieving on the astral plane, though now they can afect the physical plane.

If you are only running one runner, and he is not a mage, throwing spirits in is kind of cruel, since not only can they see him when he cant see back, but they are immune to normal weapons.

A group should always have magical support if mages are to be expected in the opposition.
Sleepyman
By the description of Astral Perception, it seems that an Assensing test is made only "when an astral being is specifically trying to hide or when a character is trying to astrally observe in detail". The problem here is what is an astral being, does it even include auras?

That was the exact quote that had me scratching my head in the first place. I guess for now I'm going with "yes" as the answer to that question.

3, 4) No canon SR4 source modifier. As GM you have the right to house rule it so.

5) SM p114, Astral Visibility, may be useful.

Thank you! That is very helpful. The -1 to -4 for shadow clutter is a good guideline. Also, the +2 when Devoid(no living traffic) would often be appropriate on typical infiltration runs.

That still doesn't capture my interpretation that Astral beings and such are easier to astrally perceive than shadowy auras. Ah, well...
Sleepyman
Demerzel
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 29 2007, 09:39 AM)
I hate to disagree with toturi, but I think that a chameleon suit will never help against a spirit. Despite a spirit materializing, they are always dual-natured and are still percieving on the astral plane, though now they can afect the physical plane.

I'm not sure this is so cut and dried. I thought that may be the case, but I"m not so sure upon further reflection. Consider that in past fiction (not really a good source for rules, but a good source to get a feel of what's going on) spirits could materialize and read street signs for a mage. As well as other things. In fact if a Spirit were only ever astrally perceiving then they would never be able to read.

Also spirits have the Perception skill, if they were always astrally perceiving they would only ever use assensing, and assensing is used for all perception tests when astrally perceiving.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Apr 29 2007, 04:25 AM)

Consider the description for the power Search.

I know and hate the weakining of the seperation of planes.
However, this is an exception...
Demerzel
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
I know and hate the weakining of the seperation of planes.
However, this is an exception...

I'm not sure it really affects the separation of planes. Consider:

QUOTE (SR4 p.286)
Type: Powers may be either mana (M) or physical (P), just like spells (see p. 195). Mana powers do not affect nonliving targets, whereas physical powers cannot be used in astral space or affect astral forms.

This is a lot like detection spells. Just because it's range touch does not mean you have to touch a spot to see it with clairvoyance. In this case the critter must materialize to use the concealment power, he may use it on either a living or non-living target, but the affect is in both planes. I'm not aware of any part of the ruels that says a physical magical effect has no effect on astral forms.

Remember type (P/M) is about the target of the spell, the people observing the target are not the target, the target is the person concealment is used on.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I'm not aware of any part of the ruels that says a physical magical effect has no effect on astral forms.

The reference (p. 195) tells us that only mana spell can affect astral forms. wink.gif

Affecting them is not the same as targeting them, too.
Demerzel
I get the feeling that this runs counter to the intent of the power. The fact that it is physical is to allow a critter to conceal a vehicle say. Making it ineffective vs. astral observers essentially makes the power pointless.
Rotbart van Dainig
It's the same with every Illusion spell...
Demerzel
So improved invisibility is really just different invisibility rather than improved invisibility...

QUOTE (SR4 p.202)
Invisibility affects the minds of viewers. Improved invisibility creates an actual warping of light around the subject that affects technological sensors as well.

Improved Invisibility works on sensors "as well" as affecting the minds... It's description would indicate that both are effective against astral forms, but one is effective against technological sensors "as well"...
Rotbart van Dainig
None of them is effective against Astral Perception...
Demerzel
Invisibility is Type M, what makes that ineffective against astral?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Sr4v3 @ p. 201, Illusion Spells)
Though manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182). Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.

That.
Demerzel
Invisibility is neither disguising or creating an aura, it is concealing an aura.

There is a difference between using assensing skill with an observe in detail action to see if you can see something, and assensing to learn about an Aura.

QUOTE (SR4 p.182)
A magician who wishes to learn more about an aura must make an Intuition + Assensing test, with the number of hits determining how much the magician learns, as outlined on the Assensing Table (p. 183).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Invisibility is neither disguising or creating an aura, it is concealing an aura.

Come on. wink.gif
Demerzel
I imagine the intent of the statement "Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras." is because that falls into the realm of masking. I want to look like an innocent japanese school girl from the astral rather t han a depraved homicidal shadowrunner. An illusion cannot perform masking. It can however fool your senses, unless you DETECT the thing you're trying to determine is fake, then succeed on an assensing test.

So the illusion is that nothing is in this space, and you can create that illusion in the astral plane as per your quote. Then it would be a dead giveaway if someone could succeed on an astral perception test looking at that empty space and trying to determine if it is really an empty space or not. But why would anyone do that?
Rotbart van Dainig
Because the vibrant aura of an invisibilty spell is floating around?

Anyway, 'disguising' and 'concealing' in this case are used synonymously enough to conclude that there is no way of hiding auras... except for masking wards, that is.
Demerzel
It's my turn to say, Come on.

What makes you think a spell has a vibrant magical aura? The illusions created in the astral plane are only given away if you make a successful Assensing Test. Look again at your quote, it is only obvious if you make a successful Assensing test. If as you insist that there is some vibrant astral form that sticks out like a sore thumb enough to attract enough attention to come in closer and Assense then it would be obvious before you Assense it and wouldn’t need you to succeed on an Assensing Test.

What your quote says is that the illusion exists in the astral and that you would only understand that it is not what you think it is if you read the aura and get enough successes to determine the type of object, and see that it is a spell not whatever it is it’s pretending to be. That’s two hits on an Assensing test to see the class of an object, that’s only 50/50 if you have 6 dice on the Assensing Test, clearly not obvious at casual perusal.

Consider a different case, Joe the mage decides he wants to pretend he’s Solid Snake, so he casts a phantasm to create a cardboard box around him, concealing his astral form from any onlookers, because the box/phantasm is in the way. For an astrally perceiving onlooker to detect that it is an illusion they would have to Assense the box with a critical eye in order to determine the class of the object and succeed on the Assensing Test and see that in fact the class of object is not a mundane object, but in fact a spell masquerading as a mundane object. There wouldn’t be much of a reason for any onlooker to do that unless something was amiss. Perhaps they think that the box does not belong, or perhaps they see it move, or something like that.

If that illusion were that there is nothing rather than there is a box, then there would be nothing to detect. They would not notice anything amiss or out of place so they would never attempt to get the two successes to determine that in fact that nothing is not a nothing but is a spell.
HatterMadness
Page 201: Invisibility
"Her aura is still visible to astral perception"

Illusion on the astral plane is like wrapping yourself in clear plastic and saying "you can't see me!" the only perception test needed is to realize that the material covering you is plastic.
Demerzel
Alright, but what about the Phantasm Box scenerio? You make an illusion of a box, that is hiding you in a corner of a dark alley, where a great preponderance of other trash is and isn't in any way out of place.

HatterMadness
All spells are said to have an aura of their own. So to astral sight your Phantasm Box would be the one piece of garbage with an aura.

I am fairly sure that you can't see through a persons aura when you look at them, so .... I would say that they can't see through the boxes aura (the spell isn't cast on you so there is no aura on-top of another effect as with spells cast on am individual), but it's still a glowing box that they can figure out fairly easily is an illusionary spell.

You want to use a Phantom Box when a mage is chasing you? Ok, just don't hide in it.. least some C4 for him to find instead.
Demerzel
As was pointed out eairler in regards to illusions, "their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test"

If you have to succeed on an Assensing Test to tell that the phantasmal box is in fact not a box then it is not as clear as you portray. Someone has to look at the box specifically and assense it succeed before they realize it's not a box.
HatterMadness
ALL spells have an aura of their own, a normal box would look gray and hazy, an aura looks bright and obvious. The box would bring attention to itself. The Assensing test would only by necessary for a person to recognize that the aura is specifically an illusion spell.
Demerzel
Good try, but sorry. To tell the type of spell is two hits on an Assensing test, you have to just succeed on an assensing test to notice that it is in fact a spell and not a box.
HatterMadness
Yes, to tell the type of spell takes two hits...
But you don't need to know the type of spell to see the vibrantly and colorful aura of magic surrounding a box in an alley full of "the faded semblance of objects from the physical world, all gray and lifeless".
Sleepyman
SR4 page 182
Without attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.).
Like physical perception, a character using astral perception should not need to make a test to see things that are immediately obvious...

Studying the assensing rules in Street Magic can make it seem like an assensing test is needed for every little thing, but that doesn't seem to be the intention based on the above quote. The GM still has to decide what is obvious, just like with physical perception. To me there would be no chance to mistake the bright shiny box at the end of the otherwise colorless alley so I wouldn't bother with an assensing test.
Sleepyman
Demerzel
QUOTE (SR4 p.201)
Though manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182).

Except it is an illusion, and when it is given away is described in the text. Only when you succeed in an Assensing Test. You, have to look at it first, and specifically. You're saying it's given away for free, but the rules for illusions say they are only given away if you succeed.
nathanross
Though according to RAW you have to assense the box to know it is an Illusion, you should not have to decide to assense a box at random to see it. The GM should ask you to make an Assensing test as long as you are percieving in astral and apply a -2 DP modifier if you are focusing on something else, then if you get the one hit, you notice the box and if you get more than one hit, then you notice that it is a spell.

What the character does with the box is up to him.

About concealment working on Astral, while it would rock, I highly doubt it would work.
Demerzel
QUOTE (nathanross)
About concealment working on Astral, while it would rock, I highly doubt it would work.

But do you think that it should give a bonus to people trying to see the concealed object? Above they were talking about giving +2 dice to an astral observer attempting to detect a concealed object.
toturi
QUOTE (nathanross)
Though according to RAW you have to assense the box to know it is an Illusion, you should not have to decide to assense a box at random to see it. The GM should ask you to make an Assensing test as long as you are percieving in astral and apply a -2 DP modifier if you are focusing on something else, then if you get the one hit, you notice the box and if you get more than one hit, then you notice that it is a spell.

While I think there should be an Assensing test made, I do not think the GM should ask for a Assensing test. He makes the Assensing test after totalling all the mods.
HatterMadness
You seem to be stuck on this simple quote.
"their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test"

If you make the Assensing test you know they are illusions. But you don't been the test to know that there is a glowing box.

If in the physical world i painted a plain box with luminescent paint and sat it in an alley most GMs wouldn't bother rolling a perception test if you were walking in that same alley, the box does kind of stand out.
Demerzel
But you're assuming the glowing green paint when in fact there is none. It is a subtle difference, that is not obvious UNLESS you make a successful Assensing Test.
HatterMadness
The spells aura glows, that does exist.
You don't need to make an Assensing test to see something glowing, just like you don't need a test to see a spirit sitting on the side of the road.

The test is only necessary if something is trying to hide/is being hidden, or you want to try an read details of something you have already seen.
hyzmarca
But what if there are hundreds of glowing green boxes and one of them is the person you are chasing disguised with an illusion?

Stealth is often more about blending in than it is about not being seen.
Demerzel
QUOTE (HatterMadness)
The spells aura glows, that does exist.
You don't need to make an Assensing test to see something glowing, just like you don't need a test to see a spirit sitting on the side of the road.

The rules don't justify your interpretation. You're making an assumption about how it looks and then using that assumption to say the rule is invalid. The illusion is that there is a box.

For you to recognize that that box is not a box you have to succeed on an assensing test. The magic of the spell has affected your mind to not think that there is anything special about the box. If you assense it you'll see right through the illusion, but you're not going to assense it, so you won't see through the illusion.

HatterMadness
QUOTE (Demerzel)
The rules don't justify your interpretation. You're making an assumption about how it looks and then using that assumption to say the rule is invalid. The illusion is that there is a box.

For you to recognize that that box is not a box you have to succeed on an assensing test. The magic of the spell has affected your mind to not think that there is anything special about the box. If you assense it you'll see right through the illusion, but you're not going to assense it, so you won't see through the illusion.

The rules don't justify your interpretation either. If were as simple as "this is the right answer" this thread would have been a lot smaller.
This whole topic is the search for a working interpretation.

The book says that non-magical non-living objects have only gray, lackluster shadows rather than auras. So all you have to do is see if something has any aura at all, and that doesn't take two successes on an Assensing test. In fact astral perception itself gives you the ability to see auras right out if something isn't hiding/hidden.

Illusion spells give themselves away by their magical aura... the Assensing test part is only needed to know that the aura is an illusion spell and not some other form of magic.

To recognize that the box isn't a box takes a willpower roll, as stated in the illusion spell rules. But it doesn't matter if they think it's a box or not, because it has an aura.
Demerzel
The problem isn't that the rules aren't clear, the problem is you stop reading the rule before you get to the part that says, "to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test".

Yes the willpower part matters. If you beat the illusion with your spell resistance test then you don't even see the box. If the spell beats you then you see an ordinary box and it will only be given away as an illusion, "to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test".

You're fixating on that first part, and ignoring the condition imposed on it, and supporting that by an assumption about astral space that is either incorrect or does not apply in this case.
Ravor
Demerzel, the problem is that Assensing Tests in the Astral are basically the same as Perception Tests in the meat, and a strict reading of RAW also requires a Perception Test (At -2) to be made to notice a "running crowd".

So yeah, I agree with the people whose reading of RAW says that Illusion Spells are virtually useless against a mage's Astral Sight. The trick to making them work is to trick the mage in question not to open his third eye in the first place OR to do as hyzmarca has suggested and to use other auras present to 'blend in' your Spell's Aura.
HatterMadness
QUOTE (Demerzel)

You don't seem to understand, i have quotes several parts of the book to build my argument, you just refuse to get past that one line that isn't as all encompassing as you seem to think it is.

"to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test". Is referring to realizing that it's aura belongs to an illusion spell. Normal things don't have auras, so whether they believe the box is real or not, the box will have an aura, and thus will come under greater scrutiny.

Now answer this for me, if i cast a Mana Illusion spell while on the physical plane, is it the same as casting it while on the astral plane? Because the rule that you keep quoting is right under is saying that Illusions can be cast while on the astral plane, but.... ect.
So it is possible your whole argument is based on a rule that is only meant to exist if you are casting your box illusion while on the astral plane.
Demerzel
QUOTE (HatterMadness)
You don't seem to understand, i have quotes several parts of the book to build my argument, you just refuse to get past that one line that isn't as all encompassing as you seem to think it is.

Except for the part that you didn’t. You quoted the line from invisibility, and I asked about a different illusion. You mentioned, “the auras of living things are vibrant and colorful.” A wonderful misquote taken wildly out of context. Here’s the whole:

QUOTE (SR4 p.181 )
Living things that are not active on the astral plane still cast a reflection of themselves there, called an aura. Any nonliving objects appear as a faded semblance of their physical selves, gray and lifeless, while the auras of living things are vibrant and colorful.

So what’s the living thing to which you’re referring? You think the spell counts? You think that the spell has a vibrant and colorful aura? Why on earth would you think that? Probably because you have a misconception about Astral Space you’re unwilling to part with. The spell is not a living thing, what does a spell have in the astral? Well since you’ve provided so many quotes from the text lets see what you’ve got. Oh, nothing, silly me for not imagining Astral Space in such a way as it includes your misconceptions.

How about this quote:

QUOTE (SR4 p.182)
Spells cast upon an individual show up as a separate aura surrounding that person for the duration of the spell

Well, what happens when you cast a spell on nothing? You create a phantasmal object, like a box. Then where is this all-important aura? Why do you have to cling to this notion of illusions are perfectly pierced by an astral observer? The box is just an example, what if instead it’s a shrubbery? Or even better a rock, part of the Earth with it’s full on astral form, not just a living object’s aura.

QUOTE (HatterMadness)
"to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test". Is referring to realizing that it's aura belongs to an illusion spell. Normal things don't have auras, so whether they believe the box is real or not, the box will have an aura, and thus will come under greater scrutiny.

You may have wished you quoted this (since you really haven’t quoted much to build your argument):

QUOTE (SR3 p.182)
Without attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.).

The thing is, here’s your general statement, and then you apply the special circumstances that are introduced in the following sections, such as:

QUOTE (SR3 p.201)
Though manabased illusions can be created on the astral plane, their magical auras give them away as illusions to anyone who makes a successful Assensing Test (see Astral Perception, p. 182).

So now you have the special case of what happens to you while you’re under the influence of an illusion spell. Instead of being bound by the standard rule you now apply this case, where you need to be successful on an Assensing Test.

QUOTE (HatterMadness)
Now answer this for me, if i cast a Mana Illusion spell while on the physical plane, is it the same as casting it while on the astral plane? Because the rule that you keep quoting is right under is saying that Illusions can be cast while on the astral plane, but.... ect.

Thank you for again misquoting the rules, or perhaps you are correctly quoting your misconceptions. While you may not see a distinction between something cast on the astral and created on the astral, it does not mean there isn’t one. If you want the simple answer, a Perceiving magician is dual natured, that means he is able to affect both the physical and astral simultaneously. When this box/shrub/rock is conjured the plan would be to cast it while dual so that it affects both planes.

QUOTE (HatterMadness)
So it is possible your whole argument is based on a rule that is only meant to exist if you are casting your box illusion while on the astral plane.

It would be nice for your set of misconceptions if it were in fact that simple. Unfortunately you’re also impressing your misconceptions onto the issue, rather than fully considering the issue. I encourage you to review what Astral Space is and how a character interacts with it.
HatterMadness
*Yawn*
2bit
It's pretty obvious you're mistaken on this one, Demerzel.
Demerzel
Just to be clear as to what you mean 2bit. It's obvious that I'm wrong and that Manabased illusions created in the astral require no test to defeat despite the statement to the contrary on page 201?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012