Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Religion in the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mfb
hyz didn't even get into all the times the Israelites were commanded to do stuff that, by today's standards, was just plain heinous. you know why King Saul got fired? he took prisoners when God specifically ordered him to kill every man, woman, child, and dog in a certain country. you know how David (of David and Goliath fame) got famous? he cut off two hundred Philistine dicks and brought them home to show off. this is remarkable because he was only actually ordered to cut off a hundred.
WearzManySkins
@Penta

rotfl.gif Quote your numbers if that makes you feel secure. Some of that you quote for the poor areas of the world can be "rice christians".

So you have 2.8 billion Abrahamist, what is the total world pop at this time? many times more than that number.

At least in the todays Western world, it takes some "sand" to tell such surveyors what ones real religious beliefs are if they are not Abrahamist. There is a stigma that goes with being non Abrahamist in todays society. Not as bad as it used to be, but still there.

As for the Zoroastrians, all it takes is one leader, look at the development of the Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints) under Joseph Smith. They have made significant growth in less than 200 years. How big would they have been if the still had one as great as he was.

What I am saying it todays world many are dissatisfied with the current Abrahamist structure, again due the many stigmas attached to being something other than Abrahamist.

In the world of SR, due the events that occurred, most if not all the stigmas are gone or basically nill. So many of the supposed Abrahamist will come out the "Closet" and go with what meets there religious requirements/needs, albeit it being non Abrahamist.

I am not saying Abrahamist will not be a large number, but they will have lots of competition, in the religious game.
hyzmarca
Strong leaders tend to make a religious movement the target of genocide. When Joseph Smith was leading the Later Day Saints, the Governor of Missouri issued Missouri Executive Order 44, which essentially required that Missouri militiamen and law enforcement officers kill all Mormons in the state. This order was only in force for three days, but it remained on the books until 1976. This was followed by similar, but less genocidal, levels of oppression from the State of Illinois and the United States Federal Government, the latter of which outlawed many Mormon practices for the sole purpose of oppressing Mormons and disincorporated the church with the intent of seizing all of its assets.

In the modern day, a similar event happened with much more tragic results when the US Federal Government mercilessly exterminated the Branch Davidians.

The fact is that any new religious movement of sufficient strength will attract the attention of the authorities. With that attention comes genocide, even in the most enlightened of nations. The only way to avoid genocide is to look weak and harmless until you are too powerful to easily exterminate, as was the case with Scientology, or to look so much like the mainstream churches that you are indistinguishable from them.

In the Sixth World, the practice of the government committing genocide against members of growing religions with controversial practices is continued with the Final Solution perpetrated against the Universal Brotherhood.
NightmareX
QUOTE (mfb)
where in the world did you get the idea that harm=evil? the Bible certainly never claims that. hell, Jesus himself used a whip on people that really pissed him off.

This I know. However, when one looks at the dictionary definition of "evil"

Evil
1 a) morally bad or wrong; wicked; depraved b) resulting from or based on conduct regarded as immoral !an evil reputation"
2 causing pain or trouble; harmful; injurious
3 offensive or disgusting !an evil odor"
4 threatening or bringing misfortune; unlucky; disastrous; unfortunate !an evil hour"

the second most common definition indeed agrees that harm = evil. Plus, what hyzmarca said wink.gif

QUOTE (Penta)
Nearly half (and we're being conservative, remember) of the world's population.
At that number, it's not 'Abrahamist colored glasses', it's the general perception of reality. And perception *is* nine-tenths of reality.

Perception does not equal reality, nor does a large number of believers make something correct (example - the belief that the Earth was the center of the universe). You may dislike the phrase, but the analogy is very apt (I've had many discussions on this topic).

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
In the Sixth World, the practice of the government committing genocide against members of growing religions with controversial practices is continued with the Final Solution perpetrated against the Universal Brotherhood.

That is one case of religious discrimination I'd be all for wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't know of many Christians who base their faith on stories about what Jesus could do. nobody says "why do i go to church? 'cos that Daniel dude walked around in a den of lions and didn't get eaten, man! i want that dude on my team!" the stories about miracles and such don't serve to entice people to faith, so the fact that lots of people can perform those miracles shouldn't have the type of impact you're talking about.

Well, if the Book of Revelations clearly declared that the Anti-Christ will win and that all Christians would burn for eternity in a lack of fire, I'd think that classical Stanism would be an extremely popular religion ("We get to perform all the fun sexual perversions and will be reward for it in hell, count me in") Evangelicals would be out there performing public bestialities in the name of our infernal lord and savior, that is for sure.

The Norse religion is rather unique in the fact that its gods are destined to lose the final battle. But, that is due to its glorification of martial values. Any religion which glorifies peace and peaceful values must ensure that its deity will win in the end, or else the members of that faith are just being doormats.
mfb
that's got very little to do with what FrankTrollman said, hyz.

QUOTE (NightmareX)
This I know. However, when one looks at the dictionary definition of "evil"...

and that's got very little to do with your response to Eleazar. the idea that the holy spirit/god does evil "as defined as harm" isn't useful or relevant unless you're discaring what the bible has to say about evil anyway.
hyzmarca
Except that the Bible clearly states that not only does God do evil, there is no evil that he is not responsible for.
mfb
that's not what i'm arguing. i'm arguing against bringing non-biblical definitions of evil into an argument about biblical figures committing evil.
NightmareX
QUOTE (mfb)
and that's got very little to do with your response to Eleazar. the idea that the holy spirit/god does evil "as defined as harm" isn't useful or relevant unless you're discaring what the bible has to say about evil anyway.

IIRC Eleazar's point was that abilities granted by the Holy Spirit (or the HS itself) couldn't be used to/wouldn't cause harm (from the context). Eleazer stated "Not only that, but these powers can also be used for evil, which is not something a Biblical miracle, wonder, or gift would allow. All judeochristian religions believe, with possibly the exception of Islam, that such things are workings of the Holy Spirit; He can only be good"

In normal conversation, when folk say something is "used for evil" it generally implies that it is used in a harmful fashion. Thus I would say my response is very relevant to Eleazar's point.

As for discarding what the bible says about evil, yes I am. For several reasons, the first being that in the bible "evil" is defined solely as anything that displeases YHVH (as your own noting of the genocides, etc implies) - it has no objective or even consistent standard. Secondly, I am discarding the bible because it has no bearing on reality (and by extension what Christian magic would be like in SR). And lastly, I am discarding the bible's take on evil because I am not a Christian and thus it holds no special place or authority for me.
NightmareX
QUOTE (mfb)
that's not what i'm arguing. i'm arguing against bringing non-biblical definitions of evil into an argument about biblical figures committing evil.

Why does this matter in (what is supposed to be) a discussion about religion in SR?
mfb
QUOTE (NightmareX)
In normal conversation, when folk say something is "used for evil" it generally implies that it is used in a harmful fashion. Thus I would say my response is very relevant to Eleazar's point.

QUOTE (NightmareX)
Why does this matter in (what is supposed to be) a discussion about religion in SR?

it wouldn't matter, and you'd be correct about the general terminology, except that you yourself kept the bible's definition of evil in the discussion. which is my whole point--you say "the bible agrees with" you, and then you use a non-biblical definition for your terms. yes, the bible clearly depicts god visiting harm on people, and so if you define "evil" as "harm" god does evil. the bible also clearly depicts god favoring those who worship satan, if you define "worshipping satan" as "obeying the word of god".
NightmareX
QUOTE (mfb)
it wouldn't matter, and you'd be correct about the general terminology, except that you yourself kept the bible's definition of evil in the discussion. which is my whole point--

That was a comment Mfb - something to be taken or ignored at leisure, not an argument or point I was trying to make. There is a difference. And you will recall I trust that I did not start the religious debate in this thread, merely commented on the more...noteworthy...points therein.

you say "the bible agrees with" you, and then you use a non-biblical definition for your terms.

I took my definition of evil (=harm) from Eleazar's context. In stating "the bible agrees with me" I meant that the bible clearly shows YHVH causing harm, and thus by Eleazar's implied meaning, evil. How so does this chain of reasoning predicate a necessary reliance on a biblical definition of evil?

Perhaps I read Eleazar's implied meaning wrong, in which case he can feel free to correct me, but I do not see how that is the case.

so if you define "evil" as "harm" god does evil.

Yes, as hyzmarca pointed out. Isaiah 45:7

the bible also clearly depicts god favoring those who worship satan, if you define "worshipping satan" as "obeying the word of god".

The "ridiculous analogy" tactic certainly is popular around here, isn't it?

Regardless, this point is not relevant to the point of this thread (that I can see). Thus, I ask that it please be dropped.
Penta
This is where religion threads go horribly, horribly, horribly wrong. Please, let it go, guys.

One thing that would deeply effect the course of religion in the sixth world:

Just *how many* people had The Gift immediately after when the awakening occurred? Did it start out Really Freaking Tiny and then grow to the 1% number we're all familiar with by the 2050-2070 timeframe?

Or has it always been a flat 1%?

If it was the former, I think whether or not religion/religiosity in a personal sense would he effected would depend on whether *you yourself* saw magic used. If not, well, it'd be like any number of technological advances today: Not something to effect your personal belief, for most people.

If it was the latter, *then* there is an argument to be made about 'non-Abrahamists' crawling out of the woodwork.

NightmareX, one of the things I think you need to keep aware of, despite how dismaying it might be to you personally, is that any new religious movements (that is the actual sociological term!) would be at a huge risk for being faddish in nature and dying out almost as quickly as they arose. (Something that would fit quite well with the Sixth World, where some people will *always* bounce to the new religious fad of the moment.) That would minimize their impact on the broader world.
nezumi
That is a very good question, Penta. It had never occurred to me that magic wouldn't more or less come all at once.

Although it was heralded by the appearance of a dragon, so to a degree I think people were more ready for it than they would have been if some random Joe began making fireballs and declared himself a prophet of the old gods.
FrankTrollman
It's a hard question to answer. On the one hand, the flavor text has told us that the amount of awakening has been increasing since 2012. On the other hand, the actual quoted demographics are substantially less awakened continuously from 2050 to 2070.

In 2050, 1% of the population were "magicians"
In 2053, 1% of the population were "magicians, or adepts"
In 2060, 1% of the population were "magicians, adepts, aspected magicians, or people with a Magical Knack"
In 2070, 1% of the population were "magicians, adepts, people with only astral sight, and people with a Magic of only 1"

The total amount of magic that is possible per thousand people has very specifically dropped precipitously in the last 20 years. And yet conversely every single edition has claimed that the amount of magic use has been on the rise.

-Frank
augurer
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
It's a hard question to answer. On the one hand, the flavor text has told us that the amount of awakening has been increasing since 2012. On the other hand, the actual quoted demographics are substantially less awakened continuously from 2050 to 2070.

In 2060, 1% of the population were "magicians, adepts, aspected magicians, or people with a Magical Knack"
In 2070, 1% of the population were "magicians, adepts, people with only astral sight, and people with a Magic of only 1"

The total amount of magic that is possible per thousand people has very specifically dropped precipitously in the last 20 years. And yet conversely every single edition has claimed that the amount of magic use has been on the rise.

-Frank

Is the population increasing or decreasing or staying the same? 1% may vary.
nezumi
Only if significantly more non-mages are getting killed or born (or do you mean, with the population increasing at say 30% per year, magic also is increasing at a rate of 30% per year?)
augurer
QUOTE (nezumi)
Only if significantly more non-mages are getting killed or born (or do you mean, with the population increasing at say 30% per year, magic also is increasing at a rate of 30% per year?)

The latter.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

Numbers could be the same, but the definitions changed. You can certainly see the trend towards more granularity. There's more types of magic known.

And there's always the question of the sampling techniques.
mfb
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Perhaps I read Eleazar's implied meaning wrong, in which case he can feel free to correct me, but I do not see how that is the case.

you certainly read more into Eleazar's post than is in the text. he never defines what he means by evil, only that the holy spirit/god can't do it (he's wrong, there, and his point has been fairly thoroughly refuted by myself, hyzmarca, and you). the "harm" definition of evil was not, that i can see, ever implied by Eleazar.

the reason i'm spending so much time on an offhand statement is that the offhand statement relates to a larger argument in the thread--the question of whether or not god (or the power of god) can do evil. that's a difficult, controversial topic, and misrepresenting peoples' points--which is what i feel you've done with Eleazar's post--doesn't help.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 21 2007, 10:33 AM)

-Frank

Numbers could be the same, but the definitions changed. You can certainly see the trend towards more granularity. There's more types of magic known.

And there's always the question of the sampling techniques.

Or you're just assuming that the authors of each of those statements were being extremely precise in their language.
It could be that every one of them simply intended the quoted part to be "magical", and they all happened to write it indifferent, imprecise ways.
Penta
See, that's the thing. For this discussion, that's a critical piece of information that we don't know: How fast did magic appear, and how -soon- was it that we *knew* magic existed and that people could use magic?

*If* magic came all at once, one day there was no magic, then boom, one day there was, yes, the major religions as we know them now would take a hit, and yes, there would be room for new ones beyond the 'monotheistic three' to have something more than a minor role.

But if it happened gradually, even if only over a few years, then I actually see that working to the -advantage- of the major faiths. That allows time for debate, time for doctrine to develop organically. That is a situation where it would be harder for new faiths to compete in.
Dashifen
QUOTE (mfb)
the reason i'm spending so much time on an offhand statement is that the offhand statement relates to a larger argument in the thread--the question of whether or not god (or the power of god) can do evil. that's a difficult, controversial topic, and misrepresenting peoples' points--which is what i feel you've done with Eleazar's post--doesn't help.

It's also a question that I'm not sure is intimately tied to the game Shadowrun. This thread has been going along quite nicely; please keep it on topic, which is to say, related to Shadowrun.

smile.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Penta)
See, that's the thing. For this discussion, that's a critical piece of information that we don't know: How fast did magic appear, and how -soon- was it that we *knew* magic existed and that people could use magic?

*If* magic came all at once, one day there was no magic, then boom, one day there was, yes, the major religions as we know them now would take a hit, and yes, there would be room for new ones beyond the 'monotheistic three' to have something more than a minor role.

But if it happened gradually, even if only over a few years, then I actually see that working to the -advantage- of the major faiths. That allows time for debate, time for doctrine to develop organically. That is a situation where it would be harder for new faiths to compete in.

Magic came relatively gradually, but UGE, first with elves and dwarves, then with orks and trolls, came more suddenly, and required more of an adjustment. The overall impression I get from the sourcebooks is that the major denominations had a knee-jerk reaction against magic, but settled down to more reasonable positions over time.

I think it's a good idea (on the developers' part) to leave the exact impact of the awakening on religious demographics up to individual GMs, rather than delve too deeply into the subject. Between half of the country being tribal land, and the boom in new age practices preceding the awakening (which is how they have hermeticism starting up so quickly), there is probably a lot more variety.

I haven't really thought too much about "what would logically happen", because the SR metaplot is too goofy in the first place. Things like the U.S. building death camps for Native Americans, those same Native Americans successfully waging a guerilla war against the U.S. and eventually taking over half of the country, the Catholics getting kicked out of Ireland by the elves, and many Protestant sects, for some reason, deciding to rejoin the Catholic Church.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Penta)
Just *how many* people had The Gift immediately after when the awakening occurred? Did it start out Really Freaking Tiny and then grow to the 1% number we're all familiar with by the 2050-2070 timeframe?

Or has it always been a flat 1%?

I've always been of the impression that it was sort of an off/on thing - one day 1% ish of the world's population woke up with magical abilities (not that they could necessarily control those abilities though). Those like Howling Coyote and his disciples that followed the old magical traditions had a leg up and learned to control their abilities faster - really damn fast in the Ghost Dancers case. Which brings me to the next point.

If it was the former, I think whether or not religion/religiosity in a personal sense would he effected would depend on whether *you yourself* saw magic used. If not, well, it'd be like any number of technological advances today: Not something to effect your personal belief, for most people.

If it was the latter, *then* there is an argument to be made about 'non-Abrahamists' crawling out of the woodwork.

Everybody saw magic being used. The Ghost Dance War that broke the back of the old US was fueled almost entirely by magic. That, plus incidents like the decimation of Tehran and the incident where a dragon attacking a passenger plane was fought off temporarily by a magic using passenger put magic right in everyone's living room, all the time (if modern 24 hour news channels are any analogy, which I think they would be).

NightmareX, one of the things I think you need to keep aware of, despite how dismaying it might be to you personally, is that any new religious movements (that is the actual sociological term!) would be at a huge risk for being faddish in nature and dying out almost as quickly as they arose. (Something that would fit quite well with the Sixth World, where some people will *always* bounce to the new religious fad of the moment.) That would minimize their impact on the broader world.

Yes, I'm very aware of the term new religious movements, and with the faddish potential of such - my religious and philosophical leanings don't diminish my ability to recognize the obvious or to research and read after all wink.gif And I truthfully don't find such a concept very dismaying at all, for a number of reasons.

In relation to the Sixth World though, I would venture that religious traditions that came to terms with magic quickly and easily - namely paleo and neopagan religions, plus the Eastern traditions (I would think) - got a real shot in the arm in terms of validity and legitimacy due to the Awakening. Perhaps to the point where they there joined the ranks of mainstream religion (as SR would seem to imply).

QUOTE (mfb)

you certainly read more into Eleazar's post than is in the text. he never defines what he means by evil, only that the holy spirit/god can't do it (he's wrong, there, and his point has been fairly thoroughly refuted by myself, hyzmarca, and you). the "harm" definition of evil was not, that i can see, ever implied by Eleazar.

I sincerely doubt that it is certain. In any case, I have stated my logic behind the comment and would like to make it clear that I am not trying to misrepresent anyone (that is one of the reasons I use quote-fu so extensively) - if that is indeed what I managed to somehow do, Eleazar has my apologies. Regardless, I think that - in lieu of Eleazar's clarification - that comes down to a matter of interpretation and as such cannot be resolved. Therefore, I respectfully request again that it be dropped, as like Dashifen I cannot see how the bolded portion applies to SR.
Eleazar
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 21 2007, 02:52 AM)
Except that the Bible clearly states that not only does God do evil, there is no evil that he is not responsible for.

Perhaps you could tell me where it says this. I don't know of any location in the Bible it states God does evil. If God is evil and does evil, then he is not righteous. He is not a just god, nor a good one. In fact, if this is true, God is false. If God did in fact do evil, there isn't anything that would somehow make him magically unaccountable for it. The thing is, God's nature doesn't allow him to be evil. He just can't do evil. If God were to do evil, it would very well be evil. He would then be subject to sin and then He would have to have some sort of atonement for His sin. If God has truly done evil, then the judeochristian religions have no way to obtain righteousness because the very God that gives them that righteousness through atonement, is defiled and depraved of righteousness. Righteousness would have no real value because it would no longer be truly righteousness. Sin, evil, and other such things can not coexist with righteousness.

EDIT: Sorry Dashifen just caught the post, DOH. Though hopefully this will end all debate on what I was saying and any implications drawn for the post. Better to hear it from the horses mouth.
Dashifen
No worries smile.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Eleazar)
Perhaps you could tell me where it says this. I don't know of any location in the Bible it states God does evil.

Hyzmarca quoted several places the bible states it explicitly on the bottom of page 4 this thread, and Mfb noted some places it is logically implied on the top of page 5 this thread. And for what it's worth, I think your conclusions are right. Not that that matters of course.

Better to hear it from the horses mouth.

Indeed, and thank you.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Aug 22 2007, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 21 2007, 02:52 AM)

Perhaps you could tell me where it says this. I don't know of any location in the Bible it states God does evil. If God is evil and does evil, then he is not righteous. He is not a just god, nor a good one. In fact, if this is true, God is false. If God did in fact do evil, there isn't anything that would somehow make him magically unaccountable for it. The thing is, God's nature doesn't allow him to be evil. He just can't do evil. If God were to do evil, it would very well be evil. He would then be subject to sin and then He would have to have some sort of atonement for His sin. If God has truly done evil, then the judeochristian religions have no way to obtain righteousness because the very God that gives them that righteousness through atonement, is defiled and depraved of righteousness. Righteousness would have no real value because it would no longer be truly righteousness. Sin, evil, and other such things can not coexist with righteousness.

QUOTE (Amos 3:6)
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

I will disagree with the idea that it makes YHWH false.

Being omnipotent logically requires that one is responsible for everything. Evil is a subset of everything. If God did not do all evil, then he would not be omnipotent, just as he would not be omnipotent if he were not responsible for all good.
Assuming that YHWH is the only deity (once an absurd proposition, but no longer so) and is fully omnipotent, The Problem of Evil and its "solutions" are nothing more than cop-outs made by people who are either too narrow-minded or too weak to understand that wielding ultimate power places one above all notions of morality, that omnipotence is beyond good and evil. Nietzsche would have understood this, if not for his Atheism.

Looking at YHWH as one deity among many, I do believe that it is important to make distinctions between mortality, ethics, and law. The key here is that morality is subjective and ethics are are created by contracts. The Law, however, is neither subjective nor the result of a freely entered contract. YHWH chose to make a contract of sorts, a Covenant, with the Israelites. As such, he is ethically bound to do what is in their best interests when they abide by the terms of the Covenant and to punish them when they do not. However, the actions required by ethics and those required by morality are two different things, and YHWH is often ethically required to do some truly reprehensible things which make Adolph Hitler look like a morally upstanding person by comparison.
But, again, we must return to the law. Nothing that is illegal can be ethical. Ethics, being the result of contracts, are subordinate to the law. Sin is a violation of divine Law and YHWH cannot violate this law, no matter what evils He does. As such He cannot sin.

This does have a huge bearing on religion in Shadowrun, because of the "My God can beat up your God" defense. The entire point of the Israelite's faith, the very reason for their Covenant, is that YHWH is a grade A #1 asshander. He can beat entire pantheons single handedly. When the Israelites were in Egypt, he waltzed right down there, ripped the assess off of dozens of Egyptian deities, and then handed them their own asses. Later, he did the same thing to the Baals.
And unlike other deities who generally sit of their divine butts (once they've been reattached), YHWH got down and dirty and handed the asses of entire mortal armies.
And he's their asshander. He doesn't hand asses for anyone but the Israelites.

But, YHWH has been incredibly lazy and hands-off in recent years, without the massive genocides that served to inspire faith. When the Awakening came, the old Gods returned, and new Gods came with them. They endowed their chosen subjects with terrible and amazing powers. These servants and avatars do walk the Earth and they do kick butt. Their buttkicking powers serve to inspire their faithful, in the same way that YHWH once inspired his, by killing lots of people.

Now, while the legality of any genocide perpetrated by a deity or its avatars is unquestionable, the morality of it is a matter of debate. It is almost inevitable that the moral choices made by YHWH be brought into question and compared to the moral choices made by other deities whose existence has been revealed by the Awakening. People will choose their faith based on both demonstrated power and moral palatability. Obviously, people are unlikely to remain outwardly loyal to a deity if its chosen followers, shamanic magicians endowed by their deity, easily fall before the swords and magic of the shamanic chosen of other Gods. No one likes a loser and there is a huge difference between martyrdom and stupidity. Likewise, most people would refuse to follow a deity that they found morally reprehensible, though they might pay it lip service if it was truly so powerful that it could not be fought.

This is why the Catholic doctrine about magic is so brilliant. If all magic, including shamanic magic, is natural, rather than coming from the divine, then they don't have to explain how they can get their butts kicked by both Pagans and Atheists.

But those hardcore fundamentalists who follow Jesus as a Mentor Spirit and think all other magic is the work of the devil better kiss their asses goodbye, because one day a Thorite is going to crash their church, scream "I say thee, Nay!", and then beat them with a giant magical hammer until their butt-cheeks fall off.

Edit: Removed some sentences accidentally left over from a pre-post edit.
darthmord
Bravo Hyzmarca, bravo!
Penta
Go Hyzmarca.

See, that's a point I think even I've missed in this discussion.

According to the understanding held by the faith of (IRL) 1.1 billion people (which I'm surprised isn't taken up by most faiths in a blatant act of theological copycatting), magic (in SR terms) as such has no moral value. It's like a previously unknown fundamental force, like gravity or nuclear bonds, or an atomic chain reaction.

It's not good, it's not evil. It is. Shamanic magic isn't necessarily a problem, even. A Mentor Spirit is not necessarily a problem. It's when the Totem or Mentor Spirit is given the veneration, the latria due only to God where a problem arises. (Now, the fact of the matter, I suppose, is that latria is more often than not what develops between the Mentee and the Mentor, but theoretically it could, one supposes, be avoided.)

Now, if you accept Magic as "just another natural force" (if a new, strange, and weird one), how is religion even impacted?
mfb
well, that stance isn't held by the majority of christians even in SR. the Catholic church, as i recall, is pretty well torn on issues like that. and outside christianity, almost no religion accepts that stance. Howling Coyote's ghost dancers didn't view magic as a morally neutral natural force--they viewed it as the final vengeance of their ancestors, the great cleansing that would destroy the white man.

and even if a given christian does accept that magic is a natural force, that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll accept that it's not a sin to use it. gravity is a natural force--that doesn't mean it's not a sin to drop a brick on someone's head.

i dunno. i'm just not a fan of handwaved explanations that make everything hunky-dory. i like conflict.
Eleazar
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 22 2007, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Amos 3:6)
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

I will disagree with the idea that it makes YHWH false.

Being omnipotent logically requires that one is responsible for everything. Evil is a subset of everything. If God did not do all evil, then he would not be omnipotent, just as he would not be omnipotent if he were not responsible for all good.
Assuming that YHWH is the only deity (once an absurd proposition, but no longer so) and is fully omnipotent, The Problem of Evil and its "solutions" are nothing more than cop-outs made by people who are either too narrow-minded or too weak to understand that wielding ultimate power places one above all notions of morality, that omnipotence is beyond good and evil. Nietzsche would have understood this, if not for his Atheism.

Looking at YHWH as one deity among many, I do believe that it is important to make distinctions between mortality, ethics, and law. The key here is that morality is subjective and ethics are are created by contracts. The Law, however, is neither subjective nor the result of a freely entered contract. YHWH chose to make a contract of sorts, a Covenant, with the Israelites. As such, he is ethically bound to do what is in their best interests when they abide by the terms of the Covenant and to punish them when they do not. However, the actions required by ethics and those required by morality are two different things, and YHWH is often ethically required to do some truly reprehensible things which make Adolph Hitler look like a morally upstanding person by comparison.
But, again, we must return to the law. Nothing that is illegal can be ethical. Ethics, being the result of contracts, are subordinate to the law. Sin is a violation of divine Law and YHWH cannot violate this law, no matter what evils He does. As such He cannot sin.

This does have a huge bearing on religion in Shadowrun, because of the "My God can beat up your God" defense. The entire point of the Israelite's faith, the very reason for their Covenant, is that YHWH is a grade A #1 asshander. He can beat entire pantheons single handedly. When the Israelites were in Egypt, he waltzed right down there, ripped the assess off of dozens of Egyptian deities, and then handed them their own asses. Later, he did the same thing to the Baals.
And unlike other deities who generally sit of their divine butts (once they've been reattached), YHWH got down and dirty and handed the asses of entire mortal armies.
And he's their asshander. He doesn't hand asses for anyone but the Israelites.

But, YHWH has been incredibly lazy and hands-off in recent years, without the massive genocides that served to inspire faith. When the Awakening came, the old Gods returned, and new Gods came with them. They endowed their chosen subjects with terrible and amazing powers. These servants and avatars do walk the Earth and they do kick butt. Their buttkicking powers serve to inspire their faithful, in the same way that YHWH once inspired his, by killing lots of people.

Now, while the legality of any genocide perpetrated by a deity or its avatars is unquestionable, the morality of it is a matter of debate. It is almost inevitable that the moral choices made by YHWH be brought into question and compared to the moral choices made by other deities whose existence has been revealed by the Awakening. People will choose their faith based on both demonstrated power and moral palatability. Obviously, people are unlikely to remain outwardly loyal to a deity if its chosen followers, shamanic magicians endowed by their deity, easily fall before the swords and magic of the shamanic chosen of other Gods. No one likes a loser and there is a huge difference between martyrdom and stupidity. Likewise, most people would refuse to follow a deity that they found morally reprehensible, though they might pay it lip service if it was truly so powerful that it could not be fought.

This is why the Catholic doctrine about magic is so brilliant. If all magic, including shamanic magic, is natural, rather than coming from the divine, then they don't have to explain how they can get their butts kicked by both Pagans and Atheists.

But those hardcore fundamentalists who follow Jesus as a Mentor Spirit and think all other magic is the work of the devil better kiss their asses goodbye, because one day a Thorite is going to crash their church, scream "I say thee, Nay!", and then beat them with a giant magical hammer until their butt-cheeks fall off.

Edit: Removed some sentences accidentally left over from a pre-post edit.

This passage uses "Ra" for the word evil. This is actually a different kind of evil, and is not evil in the moral sense. In English it would be similar if one were to wish evil upon another person. That phrase doesn't mean they wish Satan himself would pay them a visit. It means they wish that person calamity and despair. When "Ra" is used in passages such as:

Isaiah 45:7
Amos 3:6
Lamentations 3:38
Jeremiah 18:11
Ezekiel 20:25,26

It means calamity, despair, or adversity. In fact, the New King James Version uses the word calamity in Amos 3:6. Which is a literal word translation of the Bible. So, let us put this Amos verse in context, which you failed to do, and thus why you came to the wrong conclusion of its meaning. This verse, if you actually read it in context, is talking about the Lord warning His people before He brings His punishment on Israel. He brings this warning through His prophets as it says in verse 7. The people should be afraid of the trumpet because in the days of this period a trumpet was used as a warning. Much like air raid sirens declare a bombing in our time. This whole chapter is dealing with Israel forsaking God and turning their backs on Him. Amos, the prophet, is being used by God to warn His people before His righteous judgement is put upon Israel. Amos 3:6 is actually a direct warning to Israel of what will happen if Israel continues in their sin and refuses the grace of God through repentance.

You said, "Nothing that is illegal can be ethical." This is actually wholly untrue. Using the Nazi scenario, if Adolf Hitler made it law that all Jews must die, that would be unethical. There for if I were to do what was illegal, and not kill Jews, I would be ethical yet an outlaw. Even lawyers that follow the law have to answer to the ethics committee for unethical behavior, no matter how lawful their abuse might have been.

Morality is subjective only in your philosophy. You say these things as if they are absolute truths. In the judeochristian religions they have absolute truths that define morality. Morality is fully objective. There is a clear distinction between right and wrong. In a world with no absolutes to define morals, then yes, morality is subjective. Morality can be determined by nature. However, nature is both cruel and kind. Morality can be determined by feeling. However feelings have a tendency towards self-serving. Morality can be determined by logic, though logic knows little mercy. Without absolutes on which to base one's morality it is completely subjective, because morality can be based upon anything. Everyone's morals can be right, and you have no standard on which to judge them. It isn't truly wrong to kill unless you get caught. If the person had it coming to them, then you are justified in your killing. If they deserved to die, then you were within your rights.

I would insult you as you have done me, veiled or not, but such antics would prove nothing, nor do anything to further prove any of my points. In fact, I would think it makes one seem less valid, to have to resort to that kind of argument.

As far as SR4 goes, I stick with my original statement. Judeochristian belief does not mesh well with Shadowrun. If God truly did exist, and had the same power those of the religion believed him to have, the game would be broken in terms of magic, and wouldn't even fit the judeochristian beliefs of what magic is. The only way to make God fit into Shadowrun is to degrade His power, thus not making Him the same god of the judeochristian religions. The only judeochristian religions that would be accepting of magic as presented in Shadowrun would be ones that ignored wholly parts of the Bible and one's that were very liberal.

Everything else you said in terms of Shadowrun seems to just be explaining the way things currently are in Shadowrun and your personal opinion on how judeochristian religions might view getting a butt-kicking. I can't say that I care enough to give a response.
mfb
Eleazar, i think you've seriously misread quite a bit of what hyzmarca posted. his comments on law, for instance, have nothing to do with anything created by people. likewise, if you're reading insults in that post, i think you need to take a breath and a step back.

as for fitting judeochristianity into SR, i don't see what's wrong with simply saying that the vast majority of christians are wrong. every other religion on the planet got it wrong to greater or lesser degrees; SR magic doesn't even closely match the native american shamanism it's supposed to be based on in large part.
augurer
Hard to do "Evil" when "Evil" is so tightly defined as to make it impossible to be performed upon anyone who has been judged deserving smile.gif
his comments on law, for instance, have nothing to do with anything created by peoplehis comments on law, for instance, have nothing to do with anything created by people

Who or what made the Law he is speaking of?

And in what dictionary is it defined that Ethics is tightly coupled to Law? I can't find it in any I've checked. Ethics are no more objective than morals. In fact, most sources seem to freely interchange the use of the two words.
Glyph
QUOTE (mfb)
well, that stance isn't held by the majority of christians even in SR. the Catholic church, as i recall, is pretty well torn on issues like that. and outside christianity, almost no religion accepts that stance. Howling Coyote's ghost dancers didn't view magic as a morally neutral natural force--they viewed it as the final vengeance of their ancestors, the great cleansing that would destroy the white man.

and even if a given christian does accept that magic is a natural force, that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll accept that it's not a sin to use it. gravity is a natural force--that doesn't mean it's not a sin to drop a brick on someone's head.

i dunno. i'm just not a fan of handwaved explanations that make everything hunky-dory. i like conflict.

But the "magic is a natural force" explanation makes the most sense, really. Yeah, all of these people are summoning the power of Thor, or whatever, but people can summon the power of Barney the purple dinosaur just as easily. Or work magic because they have a logical framework that they think it fits into, with no religion involved at all.

I think the most ironic aspect of this is that most Christians will be in the most agreement, on the nature of magic, with atheists. spin.gif
Penta
Weirder things have happened.
mfb
i really don't think most christians in SR share the view that magic is a natural force. the Pope may have more or less stated that, but a) at best, that's only going to convince the Catholics, and b) as i recall, it hasn't even convinced all of them.

sense has nothing to do with it, really. religion is a subjective experience; what makes sense to you may be completely antithetical to someone with the same background and experiences as you.
Glyph
That's why there won't be a consensus on what religion "should" be like in the sixth world - everyone is trying to predict how other people who are completely unlike themselves would react to magic.

Me, I would probably fall into the hermetic point of view. I am from a mainstream reform church. I think the more charismatic churches, and probably a lot post-awakening neo-gnostic-type churches, would tend to see magic as miraculous, and summon spirits that look like angels, and so on. The most marginalized of the fundies would see magic as evil, although some might fall into the miraculous camp as well, assuming that their magic is miraculous and other magic is of the devil (just as houngans tend to consider non-voudoun mages to be bocor).

And honestly, I doubt, considering how many denominations there are today, that there would be any kind of consensus on magic by any major faith. Which is part of the reason that I find the other denominations rejoining the Catholic church to be one of the more far-fetched parts of the metaplot.
mfb
i'm not sure it'd be just the fundies who view magic as evil. it's not like magic is some heretofore unknown phenomenon--there are stories all through the bible about people with otherworldly powers who do not draw their abilities from YHWH. like i said earlier, even the prophets of Baal that Elijah made fun of and then killed expected their god to light their offering. YHWH is far, far, far from the only source of 'magic' in the bible--but using any source of 'magic' besides YHWH is clearly stated in both the OT and the NT to be a sin.

i'm certain there would be a number of churches who would interpret the bible such that using SR magic is not a sin, just as there are a number of churches who interpret the bible such that homosexuality is not a sin. but the vast majority of churches, i think, would look at SR's magic and say that it's a sin to use it. at best, you might have lots and lots of churches who differentiate strongly between "the power of god" (ie mages who believe in god, and whose magic appears in palatable forms) and "magic" (everyone else). they wouldn't believe that "the power of god" and "magic" spring from the same source.
Glyph
<shrug> Well, there's not really any way to resolve a disagreement on how Christianity (and other religions) might react to a hypothetical magical awakening.

The description of Christian Theurgy on pgs. 37 and 38 of Street Magic not only describes it, but also gives a pretty good summary of how Christians view magic in the official setting. Of course, I doubt many GMs would run it that way without tweaking it in some way or other to better suit their views.
Zhan Shi
Somewhat off topic...but how do Ultra-Orthodox Quabbalists get around the Tora's clear injunctions against magic?
mfb
does it state anywhere that they do get around those injunctions? i like the idea that there are faiths that totally proscribe magic.
nezumi
QUOTE (mfb)

gravity is a natural force--that doesn't mean it's not a sin to drop a brickbear on someone's head.

Sorry, had to.

QUOTE (Eleazar)
Judeochristian belief does not mesh well with Shadowrun.

Judeochristian beliefs don't mesh particularly well with our current world either, take that as you will.

i really don't think most christians in SR share the view that magic is a natural force. the Pope may have more or less stated that, but a) at best, that's only going to convince the Catholics, and b) as i recall, it hasn't even convinced all of them.

I suspect who it is going to convince will be more along the lines of education, experience and cultural background, not so much along religious lines.

As an educated Catholic, I suspect I would be able to accept magic as a natural force. Meanwhile, a 'Catholic' practitioner of Santeria in Brazil would say it's most certainly a divine force. Simultaneously, a Catholic near the Baltic Sea might say Christian magic is divine and some magic is from Satan, with most other magic being natural.

Which is part of the reason that I find the other denominations rejoining the Catholic church to be one of the more far-fetched parts of the metaplot.

This one I think is very believable, mostly for political reasons. Among Protestant churchs, there are a certain amount of fluidity. You can go to a Methodist,, Lutheran, Anglican or Catholic service, and it all counts as 'going to church'. If all of a sudden the Lutheran church closed its doors, there are a lot of people, including Lutheran political leaders, who would go either Methodist or Catholic. If the Lutheran church is on the brink of closing its doors, it would more likely put itself under the wing of a similarly-minded church than allow itself to simply break apart, scattering its flock. This has relatively little to do with magic, except in the sense that it would cause a big shake-up that would threaten the political stability of a lot of religious organizations.

Penta
QUOTE (Glyph)
Which is part of the reason that I find the other denominations rejoining the Catholic church to be one of the more far-fetched parts of the metaplot.

Where is that said? Could you please quote?

Because we haven't seen Catholics reunite with their Orthodox brethren in SR, and that would be the first reunification.

It would also massively change things in virtually all of Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Greece, Russia, etc.
NightmareX
Now that I have time and inclination to respond to this....

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
This is why the Catholic doctrine about magic is so brilliant.  If all magic, including shamanic magic, is natural, rather than coming from the divine, then they don't have to explain how they can get their butts kicked by both Pagans and Atheists.

Certainly would be an excellent apologetic tool wink.gif

Hence a diminishing number of fundamentalists.

QUOTE (mfb)
almost no religion accepts that stance. Howling Coyote's ghost dancers didn't view magic as a morally neutral natural force--they viewed it as the final vengeance of their ancestors, the great cleansing that would destroy the white man.

It could easily be argued that a number of neo-pagan religions see magic as a morally-neutral natural force.

QUOTE (Eleazar)
This passage uses "Ra" for the word evil. This is actually a different kind of evil, and is not evil in the moral sense. In English it would be similar if one were to wish evil upon another person. That phrase doesn't mean they wish Satan himself would pay them a visit. It means they wish that person calamity and despair. When "Ra" is used in passages such as:

Isaiah 45:7
Amos 3:6
Lamentations 3:38
Jeremiah 18:11
Ezekiel 20:25,26

It means calamity, despair, or adversity. In fact, the New King James Version uses the word calamity in Amos 3:6. Which is a literal word translation of the Bible.

Which means I was correct in my statement that evil=harm in the fashion you were using it. Which is part of the definition of evil, and since intentionally causing harm is generally speaking a morally evil thing it also brings it back to the definition of evil you said you were using when I asked for clarification. Etc etc ad nauseam.

Morality is subjective only in your philosophy.

Talk about a statement reinforcing what it was supposed to negate biggrin.gif

You say these things as if they are absolute truths.

As do you - I fail to see the problem with either.

QUOTE (Glyph)
That's why there won't be a consensus on what religion "should" be like in the sixth world - everyone is trying to predict how other people who are completely unlike themselves would react to magic.

Heh. Dumpshock =/ consensus. Ever wink.gif

QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Somewhat off topic...but how do Ultra-Orthodox Quabbalists get around the Tora's clear injunctions against magic?

I would presume in the same manner they do now - likely the "my stuff isn't magic, it's God given gifts. You're the one that does evil magic!" routine that many fundamentalists (myself included at one time) spout.

QUOTE (nezumi)
Judeochristian beliefs don't mesh particularly well with our current world either, take that as you will.

I shouldn't, but rotfl.gif +1 karma biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Penta)
Where is that said? Could you please quote?

I think it's from the Tir Nan Og sourcebook, referring to a few Irish Protestant denoms. I'll go digging, see if i can find it.
Riley37
I'm enjoying this line of thought, and trusting that I'm in the company of people who can enjoy it for storytelling purposes with no disrespect for real-life people who are devoted to religion, or to other causes and principles. Nor, for that matter, any disrespect for the agnostics and atheists among us.

Possibly controversial speculation:

SR4 lists totems of several archetypes mostly found in nature, although Dragon Slayer strikes me as only existing when/where there is intelligent life (humanoid or other). What about totems based on the archetypes of Tarot decks?

What about a Platonic-type totem of Pure Reason? Are a certain neighborhood's "working girls" under the protection of a shamaness of Astarte? An Ares totem - not the megacorporation, but a totem corresponding to Ares the Homeric God of War? Come to think of it, some corporations encourage near-religious loyalty among their employees and customers; could an overly zealous employee Awaken as a shaman of Evo? or of the Capitalism Totem? Or, on another hand, the Proletariat Totem, whose followers are devoted to unionization? Did the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, back in the late Fifth Age, make it possible for a shaman to find and tap the power of a Totem of Cthulhu? (Oh, the horror... Spirit of Beast, meet Spirit of Fungi from Yuggoth!) And did World of Warcraft inspire the totem of Holy Light (based on a different conception of Blood Elves)?

What if some former, faded otaku Awakens as a shaman of the Deus totem? That might be unpopular among anyone not brainwashed in the Arcology. Also somewhat baffling to Deus, not that Deus would hesitate for a millisecond decision cycle to exploit that shaman.

Oh dear. A Troll/Ork shaman of Sauron, casting magic for the Sons of Sauron.

Could there be an Amida Buddha Totem? Bonus for healing and Increase Intuition, but a code of nonviolent conduct. Shamans could be seen as another form of boddhisvata. Hinduism and Shinto will do just fine with shamans and the manifest existence of spirits. Taoism... well, there's not much that Taoism can't roll with, is there? However, the JIS will probably want to revive State Shinto, and they'll want full control, and some folk Shinto shamans might resist.

I like to think that my own church, Unitarian Universalist, might do just fine in the Sixth World, as we're already pretty open to questioning and adaptation. We recognize the Gospels, the Torah, the evidence of the senses, one's individual moral compass, and pagan teachings, among others, all as valid sources. The United Church of Christ says "Never put a period where God put a comma", also meant as openness to further revelation. Both those churches try to be racially inclusive and welcoming, so although they have a big white majority in the pews, they're at least somewhat prepared for UGE. The Quakers aka Friends will find that their message of compassion will be all the more needed, but the Sixth World is hard on pacifists.

On another hand, there are churches that have a strong resistance to social change, and those churches will gain adherents among those who oppose the changes that the Sixth World brings. I'd bet that many Humanis Policlub members think that God is on their side.

I know a bit about the various flavors of Islam, and suspect that Sufiism will adapt well, but I just don't know how Sunni or Shia will do in Sixth World, or what will happen to the Saudi kingdom's control of Mecca. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, longs for a rival of a Caliphate with unified control of the southern and eastern Mediterranean, and wants that in the name of Islam, but how much that's political power-hunger and how much that's really based on submission to the will of Allah (as revealed to Mohammed and written in the Koran) is debatable.

I am confident that Judaism and secular Jewish identity will survive, one way or another, given their track record so far. But UGE and goblinization will be hard for the Orthodox. Going troll might be really difficult for, say, some Hasidim. It could mess with their definitions of "us and them". Which is a deep question for any religion or movement.

I dunno what Jerusalem is like in 20X6, but it could be rather chaotic and dangerous. I'm gonna let someone else speculate about the state of Israel, and its corporate connections, and any influences the value of petrochemical oil or the split of the USA might have on that situation.

Penta
Bad Riley. No thread necromancy.

(Seriously. Especially threads about religion.)
Whipstitch
Eh, it's a pretty harmless religion thread though. So far the nastiest points of contention have been on the subject of theodicy, which is really only to be expected. Hell, if we were somehow able to conclusively resolve the whole "Problem of Evil" dilemma within this forum I'd probably have to seriously reconsider my atheism, because such an event would be a freakin' miracle.
Riley37
My last post was copied from a post on another topic, but my intent is to put it where it properly belongs, since previously I was taking the Cauldron thread on a tangent.
It ain't "thread necromancy" unless I'm bumping a thread that's actually dead, and this one isn't, although the tangent into theodicy is killing it. (Admins, please render a ruling!)
Eleazar, Hymarca, are you aware of the body of work known as theodicy? If what you have to say is covered more or less within en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodicy then please leave it there. Also, Hymarca, although I agree that all texts now considered sacred were penned by humans, calling them "shit" may lead to distractions from your intent, unless you actually mean "worthless".

Perhaps more directly relevant... who here has GMed or played in a Shadowrun session that was made more fun, or more meaningful, or both, by religion as a story element?

I'm considering, for my next PC, a character whose family is Mexican Catholic; his parents left Guadalajara when the Aztecs rose to power, and went north to CalFree. (They were well off in Guadalajara, and *lost* wealth and job opportunity as a price of relocating, but it was worth it for religious freedom.) I want to run a high-Charisma elven shaman, and I'm thinking of class background elements that could play off against the "aristocratic" image that some elves cultivate. I'm interested in taking a non-BBB totem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012