Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jaid
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Another "Hurrah" to the Augmentation writers: the inclusion of cyberpsychosis. It dosn't matter whether it was taken as a nod to Cyberpunk; it really fits, and I'm glad it was included.

it was around in earlier editions too.
Zhan Shi
Bloody hell. Missed that. I'll have to break out the old Cybertechnology.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Oh, my. I seem to have a "Inspiring Lively Discussion" negative quality.

Apparently Zhan is the reason we can't have anything nice Just when I was starting to like ya' too. smile.gif

ANd I had money on Fortune being the root of all evil. Damn.
Fortune
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Are you by any chance the inspiration for Man-of-Many-Skins?

ohplease.gif
Zhan Shi
Well, I'm no Master Shake. But I do my best.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
ANd I had money on Fortune being the root of all evil. Damn.

Damn! Foiled again! frown.gif
Adarael
Re: cyberpsychosis -- it wasn't around, as such, in prior editions. In prior editions, characters would suffer from a disconnection from their fellow humans, as evidenced in rules by negatives to charisma-based skill rolls (excepting intimidation) because their fellow humans recognized these people were totally out there and mechanical. Earlier editions didn't actually have the rules for going PSYCHO as such. Which, I might add, is a beautiful addition.

I forget if it was in Home of the Brave or Solo of Fortune 2 (for CP2020), but there's a beautiful description of a cyberpsycho who loses his mind in the 2nd South Am war, slowly rationalizing more and more 'use of force', and then starts rationalizing killing teammates because they lowered his personal chances of success in killing the opposition.
Zhan Shi
BTW, Fisty, saw the stuff you did a while back on lightbearers in SR. Loved it.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Are you by any chance the inspiration for Man-of-Many-Skins?

biggrin.gif No I was not even near that.

This name comes from a pc I had in a earlier version of SR, but since the rules have changed since then, I have found it impossible to recreate that pc.

WMS
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
BTW, Fisty, saw the stuff you did a while back on lightbearers in SR. Loved it.

Thanks. It was kind of adhoc since I couldn't find my original notes for it, but glad you liked it. You should try Earthdawn some time. For me at least, it gives me a better appreciation for SR. Besides that, it gives me a break from SR in a still connected way. Can't have cake all the time. wink.gif

More on topic, I'll say again that I loved the fitciton parts for Cybermancy, and cyborgs. Great stuff there. The sections on bioware, and nano were interesting, but they seemed more like a shopping list than the catalogs of old that I loved. I loved the gear, but I didn't get as much out of the fluff parts. But those last two sections really stood out to me.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
You should try Earthdawn some time. For me at least, it gives me a better appreciation for SR. Besides that, it gives me a break from SR in a still connected way. Can't have cake all the time.

And it definitely beats Darksun! nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Cain
Oh, yeah, cybermancy. Another pet peeve of mine. Not saying that the sections aren't well-done, but I can't see why detailed rules were included in a book aimed at players. Cyberzombies are supposed to be a GM-only toy, and once you put it into a player gbook, you're going to end up with players wanting to run cyberzombies and cyborgs. IMO, they really belong in their own book, something like Threats or Threats 2.

(And yes, I had the exact same problem with M&M.)
Ol' Scratch
Pretty sure Cyborgs actually are aimed at players as well as GMs.
Zhan Shi
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a book which is NOT aimed at SR players. Power creep can be a problem, but it can be solved by upping the power of the opposition. CZs also have pretty hefty drawbacks; just be sure to enforce those rules about the special drugs, cancer, IMS, etc. And a CZ who somehow broke free would also have a massive "Hunted" negative quality (I know it does not officially exist yet...I assume it will be in Runners Companion). Not to mention the fact that many spirits and magic types regard CZs as walking abominations (well, I guess they ARE walking abominations), and would love nothing better then the chance to put one out of it's misery.
Adarael
If a player of mine wanted to pan their PC for 4-6 sessions of glory as a CZ (realistically all a heavy one could keep up before expiring in a heap) I'd let 'em.
They prolly had some good reasons for doing it, since my players are never after that kinda power just to explode heads.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Hey, Frank, since you're here....can I expect Hatchetman to show up in the future?

Absolutely not. Hatchetman was a second generation cyberzombie, which means that by 2070 he'd be dead from cancer and cascading apoptosis even if the bullet with his name on never got fired. I always imagined him going out in a hail of fury, grinning like a mad man when he pulled the pin on his grenade belt in the heart of the secret base's fuel depot or something. I don't want to think that he died on an operating table with the research doctors crowding around to examine his corpse. But his last mission was also a secret mission. And he was damn good, so it's not like anyone else was going to be walking away fom it to tell the tale.

Once Hatchetman finally bit off more than he could chew, none of the remaining characters would have any meaningful information about what that mission was or even that a mission occurred. Just one day Fastjack noticed that Hatchetman hadn't written in a while. And then he hoped that it just meant the period between Hatchetman's e-mails had gotten longer. But when he waited more a communique never came. And now Fastjack has mostly moved on with his life - grabbing a bottle of the same chincy red tequilla Hatchetman used to drink when he was small time once a year to commemorate an occassion.

Sure, it's possible that Hatchetman miraculously was the first guy to get the new experimental treatments and survived to the present day. But that would cheapen the sacrifice that he actually did make. Hatchetman took the plunge when cybermancy was a death sentence. Not a long odds situation where only the awesome hero ould pull through - but a genuine death sentence. Having him live would undermine his life.

-Frank
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Sep 6 2007, 04:13 PM)
You should try Earthdawn some time. For me at least, it gives me a better appreciation for SR. Besides that, it gives me a break from SR in a still connected way. Can't have cake all the time.

You two remind me of an old couple, from time to time at least. rotfl.gif
It trolls!
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Absolutely not. Hatchetman was a second generation cyberzombie, which means that by 2070 he'd be dead from cancer and cascading apoptosis even if the bullet with his name on never got fired. I always imagined him going out in a hail of fury, grinning like a mad man when he pulled the pin on his grenade belt in the heart of the secret base's fuel depot or something.

Hah, that's almost how I pictured him going out. The fluff about Hatchetman is the reason why Cybertechnology still is my favorite sourcebook even today. Given Zhan Shi's Question, I guess when a paper copy of Augmentation finally manages to float across the ocean into a gaming store near me, I can expect a fluff reference and/or inside jokes about him? It's what I thoroughly missed in M&M's Cybermancy part.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
CZs also have pretty hefty drawbacks

Well, they drop dead as soon as they enter even a Rating 1 Shallow.
ThreeGee
Cyberzombies are supposed to be a GM-only toy

Your missing the point of the new cybermancy rules set. As qualified by Frank

Hatchetman took the plunge when cybermancy was a death sentence. Not a long odds situation where only the awesome hero ould pull through - but a genuine death sentence.

Cybermancy is no longer the death sentence it was. In the old days a cyberzombie had a life span in months, no sane player would touch them. Now with a bit of care and some luck, a cyberzombie has a lifespan in years, they're no longer meant to be a GM only toy.
Synner
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)

As I've explained before, no they don't. Reread the Background Count section of Street Magic.

Magical background count (positive or negative) reduces your effective Magic rating for the purpose of dice pool calculation when using magic. Your Magic Rating is never diminished, in fact it doesn't change at all.

And as I've also explained - and as will be clarified in upcoming FAQs - when background counts/domains overlap or interact the higher rating (and its aspect) is dominant. A cyberzombie is always at the heart of a permanent background count that buffers him from pretty much any low level ambient domains/background count.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 6 2007, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Sep 6 2007, 04:13 PM)

You two remind me of an old couple, from time to time at least. rotfl.gif

Nah, we don't quarrel because of years of resentment. We quarrel for the sake of quarreling alone.

[ Spoiler ]
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)

As I've explained before, no they don't. Reread the Background Count section of Street Magic.

Magical background count (positive or negative) reduces your effective Magic rating for the purpose of dice pool calculation when using magic. Your Magic Rating is never diminished, in fact it doesn't change at all.

Actually, that is wrong.
QUOTE (Street Magic @ p. 118, Background Count and Magic)
Whether positive or negative, in game terms background count reduces a character’s Magic attribute by its absolute value.

Not 'effective' - it just drops. CZ drops dead per RAW.

QUOTE (Synner)
And as I've also[/i] explained - and as will be clarified in upcoming FAQs - when background counts/domains overlap or interact the higher rating (and its aspect) is dominant. A cyberzombie is always at the heart of a permanent background count that buffers him from pretty much any low level ambient domains/background count.

That's not FAQ material - that's Errata material for SM.
ThreeGee

Can you give a reference for that?
Rotbart van Dainig
..I did above? indifferent.gif
FrankTrollman
Peter is in fact wrong that a Background doesn't reduce the Magic or characters in it (I'elobbied for a rule stating that Dual Natured creatures are unreduced by Backgrounds of -6 to 6, but that's a whole separate issue). However, a Cyberzombie is not killed by a Rating 1 Mana Ebb. A cyberzombie isn't killed by a rating 12 Mana Void.

Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the cyberzombie always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count (see p. 117, Street Magic) that extends a number of meters from her body equal to her total negative Essence. If she remains in one place for long, that background count will expand at the rate of about a meter in every direction every two or three hours.

If the ambient mana conditions are a Mana Ebb, the Cyberzombie is still in a Rating 4 Domain, and her Magic is still restricted from rising. So her Magic is still 1 no matter what the ambient mana conditions are and she'll never die from it.

Ghouls are by RAW killed dead as door nails by a Rating 1 Mana Ebb. Although if I have my way they will only be killed by a Rating 7+ Mana Void or Mana Warp.

-Frank
ThreeGee
Ah sorry missed it my eyes are not what they were.

But the section on Astral Hazing in Augmention states that the CZ sits within his own Background count of 4 surely that trumps the effect of any ambient count?
ThreeGee
What Frank said...
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 6 2007, 01:48 PM)

Actually, that is wrong.
Whether positive or negative, in game terms background count reduces a character’s Magic attribute by its absolute value.

QUOTE (also from p.118)
If background count reduces a character’s Magic to attribute to 0 or less, he is rendered unable to use any magical abilities within the area. A background count-modified Magic attribute counts for all uses of magic, including dice pools and limitations imposed on the Force of spells or spirits. Additionally, the process of gathering and shaping mana is more difficult in areas with background count, so the absolute value of the background count is also added to the Force whenever a character resists magical Drain.

This means that the background count modified Magic attribute counts for active magic use and the reduction/suppression only impairs or renders a character unable to use his magical abilities (if reduced to 0).

QUOTE (Street Magic @  p. 118, Background Count and Magic)

And where does it say that a suppressed Magic of 0 means the cyberzombie dies? Or for that matter any dual natured or magically active creature?

QUOTE (Synner)
And as I've also[/i] explained - and as will be clarified in upcoming FAQs - when background counts/domains overlap or interact the higher rating (and its aspect) is dominant. A cyberzombie is always at the heart of a permanent background count that buffers him from pretty much any low level ambient domains/background count.

That's not FAQ material - that's Errata material for SM.

Street Magic does not address overlapping background counts at all - so there is nothing to errata. In response to the Frequently Asked Question of how background counts/domains/BC generating spells interact, the official response is that when two background counts/domains coincide or overlap the higher rating one (and its aspecting) prevails.
Rotbart van Dainig
Ah, indeed... my bad.

Oddly enough, if there will be an Errata/FAQ that states that always the larger rating counts, that'll change...

QUOTE (also from p.118)
If background count reduces a character’s Magic to attribute to 0 or less, he is rendered unable to use any magical abilities within the area. A background count-modified Magic attribute counts for all uses of magic, including dice pools and limitations imposed on the Force of spells or spirits. Additionally, the process of gathering and shaping mana is more difficult in areas with background count, so the absolute value of the background count is also added to the Force whenever a character resists magical Drain.

QUOTE (Synner)
And where does it say that a suppressed Magic of 0 means the cyberzombie dies?

By wording, it can in fact reduce the Magic attribute to 0 - so the Rule from Augmention would apply.
Of course, it doesn't, since Augmention specifies that the Astral Hazing always wins.

QUOTE (Synner)
Street Magic does not address overlapping background counts at all - so there is nothing to errata.

..uh, missing rules are actually worth an Errata. wink.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
By wording, it can in fact reduce the Magic attribute to 0 - so the Rule from Augmention would apply.

Even if we were to ignore the effects of having Magic reduced to 0 or less detailed in the quote I provided, could you please point out where it says that (anyone or anything) having their Magic reduced to 0 does anything more than neutralize its ability to use its magical powers and makes Drain harder - let alone results in death?
Demonseed Elite
Peter's question is mine also. I never got the impression that a ghoul will drop over dead if it's Magic attribute is effectively reduced to 0. In the case of critters, the reduction of Magic attribute caused by background count doesn't even ensure they lose critter powers, it's left to GM discretion:

QUOTE (Street Magic @ page 118)
At the gamemaster’s discretion, paranormal critters may also lose access to some of their critter powers as a result of a reduced Magic attribute.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
could you please point out where it says that (anyone or anything) having their Magic reduced to 0 does anything more than neutralize its ability to use its magical powers and makes Drain harder - let alone results in death?

QUOTE (Augmention @ p. 157, Dual Nature)
Due to the cybermantic ritual, the cyberzombie does not suffer Magic loss from implantation, but if the Magic attribute is ever reduced to 0 by other means, the cyberzombie dies.
Synner
Thank you for the pointer, Rotbart.

That line will be corrected in the Augmentation errata - please add "permanently" between "ever" and "reduced".

It slipped by me in editing and I had not realised how Frank was interpreting the intended interaction between background count and Magic.
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, that would make the rule obsolete: There are no non-rulechange ways to permanently lose magic.
Synner
Reductions to your Magic attribute due to ambient background count are temporary by nature (because both your presence in the background count/domain/area of a Mana Static spell and the duration of many such domains/spells are themselves temporary). Once you leave a domain your Magic attribute reverts to normal (which is why l said it was a reduction of your effective Magic attribute as opposed to an actual reduction).

If a forensic magician were to walk into a violent crime scene with a residual background count of 1, he would suffer a temporary reduction of his Magic by 1. If he were to leave the crime scene his Magic would return to its normal rating. Also if he were to stand there until the background count faded then Magic would also return to normal eventually.

Comparatively, losing Magic to an Essence Drain power, addiction or implantation for instance would be a permanent loss.

Rotbart van Dainig
Indeed. That why the 'please add "permanently" between "ever" and "reduced".' change will make the sentence obsolete:

CZ can't lose Essence due to Implantation, permanent Essence Drain requires the victim still to have Essence, and given the drug coctail CZ require to even stay 'alive' I don't think loosing Essence due to Addiction is really an option to fall back to.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, but it would stand if something else came up down the line that caused permanent Magic attribute loss.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Yeah, but it would stand if something else came up down the line that caused permanent Magic attribute loss.

You mean like the MageZappers in Arsenal that burn out Mages in an instant? sarcastic.gif

Honestly, if reduced to permanent changes, the rule makes no sense at all anymore. The Magic is all that holds the CZ together, and if it even get the slightest cracks... he falls apart.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Power creep can be a problem, but it can be solved by upping the power of the opposition.

Interesting. Your solution to power creep is my definition of power creep.
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 6 2007, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Sep 6 2007, 07:59 PM)

You mean like the MageZappers in Arsenal that burn out Mages in an instant? sarcastic.gif

Actually, off the top of my head, I can think of at least one other way, possibly two, to reduce Magic permanently under the current rules - besides the perfectly valid Addiction rules. There will likely be more in upcoming books (Running Wild for one).

Regardless, background counts were never intended to permanently reduce anyone's Magic, they were intended to make it ambient mana harder to channel and inhibits your active manipulation/use of ambient mana (which is only critical if you are an astral creature which depends on that ambient magic to even subsist).

In the same manner that the forensic magician doesn't lose that 1 point of Magic rating, he just can't use it, neither does the cyberzombie.

Now, if you'd like to continue this in another thread, feel free to start one, but I think this thread has drifted enough.
Ol' Scratch
So spirits aren't supposed to actually be disrupted if they go into a high enough Background Count, just temporarily reduced in power? Dual-natured beings aren't supposed to suffer unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage every Combat Turn they're in a warp/void?

How exactly is a cyberzombie all that different thematically from either of those? The only reason it's alive is because of the magic holding them together. If that magic is dispersed, whether permanently or temporarily, how is he being held together?
Adarael
On a basic level, allowing background count to kill a CZ when he enters it is a bad plan because nearly everywhere in the world has a background count. Including where the CZ is created. That would mean the most effective way to avoid death by CZ is to 'be most anywhere in the world where there are groups of people'.

The other problem is that any joker with an astral static spell or equivalent can dice a CZ no problem.
Ol' Scratch
I agree, as it stands it's a bad idea. But thematically I don't see why it shouldn't or wouldn't. It doesn't make much sense.

Now if their otherwise useless Magic Attribute were higher to represent their "Force" as it were, and their Negative Essence score acting as Astral Armor against such effects, and having their background count aura counteract other background counts, you could have your cake and eat it, too. It would take a mana warp or void to really have a shot of "disrupting" them all without handwaving things away.
Adarael
Sounds like a reasonable fix, with the possible exception of allowing them a higher dicepool than they should have for any rolls opposed by magic. I think there are a couple of those somewhere.

On the whole, though, yes. I like that idea.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 6 2007, 06:42 PM)
So spirits aren't supposed to actually be disrupted if they go into a high enough Background Count, just temporarily reduced in power?

I redirect you to the second paragraph of my post above (the bit about astral creatures depending on mana to survive). If astral creatures/spirits are temporarily reduced in power below their Force they are disrupted.

Dual-natured beings aren't supposed to suffer unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage every Combat Turn they're in a warp/void?

While we have not explicitly stated anything to that effect regarding dual-natured beings in SR4 (we're saving that for Running Wild), it isn't a stretch to conclude that something similar occurs given the descriptions regarding the experiences of magicians in Voids and Mana Warps.

You will note that at no point have I said that a cyberzombie is in any way immune to any of those effects, since in fact they have no direct relation to the reduction in the Magic attribute. All are distinct secondary effects of being in areas of very high or very low background count and cyberzombies are indeed vulnerable to those other effects of being in a Void or Mana Warp.

How exactly is a cyberzombie all that different thematically from either of those?  The only reason it's alive is because of the magic holding them together.  If that magic is dispersed, whether permanently or temporarily, how is he being held together?

Well, for one, neither spirits nor any dual natured creature generates its own aspected domain and affects astral space in this manner. But ignoring that significant factor, cyberzombies are indeed thematically similar to dual natured entities.

What I have repeatedly tried to point out is that at no point have we mentioned that dual natured critters or other entities die when their Magic is (temporarily) reduced to zero by background count (whereas we do say that spirits -as astral entities, Materialized or not - who have their Force reduced to 0 are disrupted). What the rules say is that they become unable to tap their innate magical abilities.

If it wasn't clear before, I'll make it clear now: I do not intend to derail this thread even further than it already has. If you want to continue this discussion take it up elsewhere and I'll be happy to oblige.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
Actually, off the top of my head, I can think of at least one other way, possibly two, to reduce Magic permanently under the current rules

Please illustrate those in another thread, then.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Peter's question is mine also. I never got the impression that a ghoul will drop over dead if it's Magic attribute is effectively reduced to 0. In the case of critters, the reduction of Magic attribute caused by background count doesn't even ensure they lose critter powers, it's left to GM discretion:

QUOTE (Street Magic @ page 118)
At the gamemaster’s discretion, paranormal critters may also lose access to some of their critter powers as a result of a reduced Magic attribute.

Dual Natured Creatures have always died when their Magic Rating hits zero. While the dual natured critter rules are completely missing from SR4, the rules are certainly written as if this was still the case. Recall that even MADS reminds us that dual natured critters die when the disease progresses far enough that it eliminates the Magic Attribute.

A non-magical basilisk is a dead basilisk. Always has been. In every edition, all the way back to 1st edition.

--

There is a separate problem in 4th edition, where none of the rules that affect dual critters actually made it in to the book. We don't get the rule where they can simultaneously view on the astral and physical, we don't get the rule where they can see without a -2 perception penalty from astral distraction, we don't get the rule where they can attack astral foes with normal unarmed combat, we don't get anything. So the fact that the rule that dual natured critters die when they become mundane isn't in the basic book either hardly means anything.

-Frank
laughingowl
Frank you still have a few tidbits, that are enough for SR3 players to assume the intent:

QUOTE (page 286)

Note that in order for a creature to use a power against
a target, they must share the same “state:� astral or physical.
Astral forms cannot affect physical targets, and vice versa
(see The Astral World, p. 181). Astral critters that materialize
can affect physical targets, however, just as dual-natured
critters can interact with both the physical and astral planes
equally effectively

QUOTE (page 287)

Dual Natured
Type: P • Action: Auto • Range: Self • Duration: Always
A critter that is dual-natured is active in the astral plane
and can aff ect astral beings as well as physical ones. Dual-natured
creatures have the ability to perceive and interact with
the astral plane in the same way as characters using astral perception
(see Astral Perception, p. 183.)

Dual natured creatures can interact with both planes equally effective...

Now you do have the quote:
QUOTE (pager 182)

Whenever you have to perform a physical, non-magical task (shooting a gun, driving a car, and so forth) while astrally perceiving, you suffer a –2 dice pool
penalty.

However to me I don't consider this damning since:

1) I played SR3 smile.gif and would house rule anyways
2) The first quote (to me anyways) does imply 'at the same time' to interact with both...
3) Either Dual-natured creatures don't take the penlaty or they have the penalty for ALL physical actions since they are always 'dual-natured' (never is there a power described to turn it off)
4) "Dual-natured creatures have the ability to perceive and interact with the astral plane in the same way as characters using astral perception", never does it say they interact with the 'physical plane' the same way a character using astral perception does..

perhaps it is from sr3 days... but even the only played sr4 people I have in my group agree that as listed...

Dual-Natured creatures can percieve (like a character using astral perception) astral space... but they are not 'using astral perception')

Now 'normal' combat versus pure astral is a littel greyer but the first quote does say the can interract with both equally... not (they use astral combat rules, to attack somebody in astral)... Now this is under 'powers' so it might not include all things.. but their 'natural weapon' attack (if any) is a power... so their natural weapon attack WOULD equally effect a astral creature or a physical creature... thus use the normal rules for natural weapon

Natural Weapon
Type: P • Action: Complex • Range: Touch • Duration: Instant
The critter possesses some natural form of weaponry capable of infl icting Physical damage, such as claws, sharp teeth, or a stinger. Th e description of this power describes the nature of the attack, as well as its Damage Value and Armor Penetration modifi ers where applicable. Natural weapons may be either melee weapons or ranged weapons, and critters follow the standard rules of combat when using them. Critters use the Unarmed Combat skill to attack with natural melee weapons, and the Exotic Ranged attack skill to attack with natural ranged weapons. Critters without a Natural Weapon may still make an unarmed attack. As with regular characters, the Damage Value is (STR ÷ 2)S.

So for a dual-natured critter using 'natural weapon'...

it makes an unarmed combat skill test to attack (equally on astral or physical planes)...

Considering the 'power' says critters with out natural weapon may still make an unarmed attack as regular characters with DV str/2.... this (effectively) becomes a power.... so again dual-natured creatures (without natural weapon) ... may make an unarmed attack with a dv of str/2 against the astral or physical planes equally effective.

So actually the old rules ARE still here.

(edit fixed quote blocks)
Synner
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 6 2007, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (Street Magic @  page 118)

Dual Natured Creatures have always died when their Magic Rating hits zero. While the dual natured critter rules are completely missing from SR4, the rules are certainly written as if this was still the case. Recall that even MADS reminds us that dual natured critters die when the disease progresses far enough that it eliminates the Magic Attribute.

MADs reflects the intent in SR4 regarding Magic (and Essence) depletion in paranormal critters. When stripped of a Magic Attribute, a paranormal critter will then gradually sicken and die. It does not happen immediately and it does not kill instantly. Deprived of its magic a dual natured critter will be driven insane/wither away and eventually die (at least several days, maybe even weeks). If the magic is only temporarily suppressed or somehow recovered (such as moving away from a high background count domain) the animal begins recovering too and will not die.

For the record Rotbart, MADS was the "one way" off the top of my head I mentioned previously. The other (FABIII) I'll actually have to dig up when I have the time and see if I'm right (but I'm pretty certain I am). Note that yet another way I am aware of was cut from Street Magic and left for Running Wild (though this was an update of an SR3 element it doesn't count because it was unpublished).

Can we now get back to the purpose of this thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012