Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FrankTrollman
Heh. You and I both play that way of course, but Natural Weapon is a Physical Power, technically you aren't supposed to be able to attack astral opponents with it.

Dual Nature is supposed to allow you to use your natural weapons against aastral foes, but it doesn't actually say that it can do that. Which is, obviously, a flaw in the written rules for Dual Nature. Basically it needs about one or two extra paragraphs describing Dual Natured critters and how they interact with physical and astral stuff. That's just plain missing from the current rules.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
Already been stated, but please bring this back to focusing on the review of Augmentation. Not shooting down the discussion as I'm certainly interested in it as well. Move it to another thread.
FrankTrollman
In order to take this in a more Augmentation-themed direction:

For the record Rotbart, MADS was the "one way" off the top of my head I mentioned previously. The other (FABIII) I'll actually have to dig up when I have the time and see if I'm right (but I'm pretty certain I am).

An important note: MADS does not reduce magic rating in any normal way. It gives a dicepool penalty to Magic tests and if it gets high enough removes all of the victim's Magic all at once - which auses an awakened character to become mundane and a dual critter to "die".

A Cyberzombie is dual natured, so they would be killed by this experience.

See, totally on-topic, as it takes place entirely on pages 132 and 144 of the book this topic is in reference to.

-Frank
Zhan Shi
<sniffle><sob> Goodbye, Hatchetman.

In regards to my comment about power creep....the GM can simply rule that CZs are not available as player characters. I believe, however, that it may be doable, provided the disadvantages are rigidly enforced, and the CZ PC is given foes to match his abilities. Some players and gms don't like the high powered, world shaking campaigns (think Harlequin's Back), prefering to keep things more street level. Both styles have their merits and drawbacks. To each his own.
Zhan Shi
Just looking over the section on Age Rejuvenation....I was thinking of using the Body (natural, not modified) attribute for the maximum times it can be used. Also, in previous editions, I seem to recall that cyber/bioware interfered with the effectiveness of gene treatments; is this still true?
Cain
<sniffle><sob> Goodbye, Hatchetman.

In regards to my comment about power creep....the GM can simply rule that CZs are not available as player characters. I believe, however, that it may be doable, provided the disadvantages are rigidly enforced, and the CZ PC is given foes to match his abilities. Some players and gms don't like the high powered, world shaking campaigns (think Harlequin's Back), prefering to keep things more street level. Both styles have their merits and drawbacks. To each his own.

That doesn't change the fact that detailed construction rules on CZ's aren't really a necessity, not like more cyber is. I'd certainly trade the entire cybermancy section right now, in exchange for an index and an appearance in a Threats-style book.
Cthulhudreams
Doesn't the monthly surgeries and need for expert medical and psychological help on demand pretty much rule out CZs for players unless the GM gives them lots of money with any special ban hammer application?
Zhan Shi
Can't really argue with that. I thoroughly enjoyed both Threats books. And in Cybermancy, those two anonymous posters seemed to think that cybermantic magic was creating a pressure cooker of bad karma, which would have extremely delitirious effects if it "overflowed". Sounds like a good "Threats 3" section to me.

I meant to type "Cybertechnology".
Jaid
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Doesn't the monthly surgeries and need for expert medical and psychological help on demand pretty much rule out CZs for players unless the GM gives them lots of money with any special ban hammer application?

not if, for example, another player had a high medicine skill and a medical shop or facility. the street doc, while not as commonly played as, say, the hacker, combat mage, or street sam, is not an entirely unheard-of character either.
Zhan Shi
It would be an extremely difficult existence, to say the least. But thems the breaks for people who want cyberzombies as pcs.
Fortune
If you put a cyberzombie on something like a space station, would any accompanying mage then be able to use their magic (while in his radius) as if in a -4 BC instead of the normal -10 to -12?
Draconis
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 7 2007, 03:44 AM)
If you put a cyberzombie on something like a space station, would any accompanying mage then be able to use their magic (while in his radius) as if in a -4 BC instead of the normal -10 to -12?

I'm pretty sure the worse applies. Otherwise it's cyberzombies in spaaaaaace all the time and they're the mage's new best friend up the well.
FrankTrollman
It does say that the Rating 4 background count takes effect regardless of what the ambient mana levels are. So yes, for the same reason that a cyberzombie doesn't die when he enters a bad mana region, a mage can stand next to a cyberzombie and use his magic in a merely crippled capacity on top of a gravity well.

Of course, that background count is like three meters across the long way and has a scary scary man standing in the middle of it, so it's difficult to imagine successfully using most magical operations in such a scenario. You can't conjure for instance, and the "Line of Sight" capabilities of your spells are virtually meaningless.

I could imagine pulling off some Health spell scenarios though, because they are touch range. You have the cyberzombie lie supine on top of the patient and then you have the magician lay down on top of that and reach around to cast a spell without having any part of their body or the spell extend into the vacuum which surrounds the CZ's tiny bubble.

Awkward? Difficult? Kind of weaksauce?

Yes, it is all of these things. But people other than Aztechnology and Ares can't do it at all and every time you're playing with different physics than your opponents that's something to base a competitive advantage off of. So you can be damn sure that at this very moment there is a research group on the Tlaloque Spindle trying to figure out something to do with seriously attenuated - but possible - magic in space to justify the hundreds of millions of nuyen it took to get them there.

-Frank
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 6 2007, 10:22 PM)

not if, for example, another player had a high medicine skill and a medical shop or facility. the street doc, while not as commonly played as, say, the hacker, combat mage, or street sam, is not an entirely unheard-of character either.

Umm... it looks to me that you need more than just medical skills. You also need someone with great clinical psychology skills to make sure he doesn't kill himself or just stop ticking over, experts with nanoware, gene therapy and cyberware to keep everything running and a huge supply of drugs.

It's going to require more than one doctor just to keep him running, and serious facilities, not some ripper docs chopshop.
Fortune
Thanks Frank. Lots of run potential there. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Umm... it looks to me that you need more than just medical skills. You also need someone with great clinical psychology skills to make sure he doesn't kill himself or just stop ticking over, experts with nanoware, gene therapy and cyberware to keep everything running and a huge supply of drugs.

It's going to require more than one doctor just to keep him running, and serious facilities, not some ripper docs chopshop.

Psychology, granted. There's one knowledge skill.
Nanoware, gene therapy, cyberware, etc. Isn't that all part of Cybertechnology? (SR4 pg 123) So one skill group plus one knowledge skill. That's really not all that difficult to achieve even as a secondary ability of another character.
FrankTrollman
And the Chemical Production Facility, that's another 200 grand down the tubes. You'll want a Medical Facility as well. Also a Cloning Facility if the cancer starts cropping up. Those all cost about the same.

Sure, you can do it. But by the time you've done it, you've become a corporation. It would be much cheaper to simply purchase these materials and services from Universal Omnitech. Cheaper in nuyen.gif at least.

-Frank
ThreeGee
All the details for maintaining a CZ are now written up in the rules.

You must add 2000Ұ a month for medical expenses, own or have access to a chemical facility and not turn your IMS off.
Buster
Yeah Frank, don't you know the new cyberzombie rules? Oh wait... biggrin.gif

To maintain a cyberzombie, do you need 2000 nuyen per month AND a chemical facility or just a chemical facility?
Ol' Scratch
Having a cyberzombie on a runner team has more to do with the costs involved for being a cyberzombie than anything else. I mean, who the hell would invest in the millions upon millions of nuyen it takes to turn someone into a cyberzombie if they only have a max of 250,000 nuyen of implants in 'em at the start of the game?

If you're playing in a campaign where money is no issue, either during character creation or after, then sure it's a reasonable request to make of the GM. But under normal circumstances you aren't going to have a cyberzombie on a team because it's just not feasible from a storytelling or believability point of view.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Buster)
Yeah Frank, don't you know the new cyberzombie rules? Oh wait... biggrin.gif

To maintain a cyberzombie, do you need 2000 nuyen per month AND a chemical facility or just a chemical facility?

Heh. You need 2000 nuyen.gif worth of drugs that come from a chemical facility. If you actually own the facility you're probably actually only paying like 100 nuyen.gif for the raw materials. But if you want to make it yourself, you'll need to acquire the recipes from somewhere - these meds aren't public domain. If you happen to have a chemist on hand and the secret recipe, then that Chemical Facility will pay for itself just on the meds in about 10 years. Of course, it's not like a Shadowrunner team can't figure out useful things to do with a chemical facility.

QUOTE (Dr. Funk)
If you're playing in a campaign where money is no issue, either during character creation or after, then sure it's a reasonable request to make of the GM. But under normal circumstances you aren't going to have a cyberzombie on a team because it's just not feasible from a storytelling or believability point of view.

I'm not sure about that. While starting characters only get a quarter million at max, getting yourself to six million is hardly unthinkable. Bringing Usama Bin Laden to justice carries a current reward of 27 million. A four man team who pulled off a single high profile world changing run like that could pay a cool 3 mil to their contacts to help hide and walk away with 6 million in cash each. That's enough to make a perfectly respectable cyberzombie form a standing start.

Obviously, that won't be what happens in every campaign. But a high end runner could legitimately expect to get 6 million in the intermediate future, so cyberzombification is certainly an achievable (if extravagant) character goal.

And that was the goal of the piece. Make it so that Cybermancy was just barely in reach of some games and out of reach of other games.

-Frank
ThreeGee
Yeah Frank, don't you know the new cyberzombie rules? Oh wait...

How much Frank had to do with the current CZ rules set I don't know, but RAW is pretty clear. It's a hell of a lot easier than it was in the past.
BookWyrm
Mu-hahahahaaaa! Just picked the book up today!
Jaid
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Yeah Frank, don't you know the new cyberzombie rules? Oh wait...

How much Frank had to do with the current CZ rules set I don't know, but RAW is pretty clear. It's a hell of a lot easier than it was in the past.

i think that was the point of the original comment (which was something of a joke).

you see, frank kinda wrote the cyberzombies section, as i understand it =P
ThreeGee
frank kinda wrote the cyberzombies section

I kind of figured he was involved but I don't know how the rules changed after they left his hands. He and Synner don't seem to be entirely On Message when it comes to interpreting Augmentation.

Someone upthread, not Frank, suggested that a CZ needed some top flight psychologists to maintain their mental balance, well not according to RAW. The IMS is all he needs, as fluff it does say CZ are generally unhappy but it's just that, fluff, there's no roll involved. The worst that can happen is you gain one of the negative cyber-qualities, but given that you can buy off negative qualities at double BP cost in Karma, even these problems aren't insolvable.
Buster
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Sep 7 2007, 01:26 PM)
Mu-hahahahaaaa! Just picked the book up today!

Quick tell us what you thought about the cybergenitalia sections! (just kidding)
WearzManySkins
Waits for the Admin Hammer to fall on Buster for that last attempt at humor. biggrin.gif

"Let Sleeping Dogs Lie please."
deek
I thought it was funny.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Someone upthread, not Frank, suggested that a CZ needed some top flight psychologists to maintain their mental balance, well not according to RAW.

Of course, a CZ permanently running the Virtual Person program 'Dr. Freud' sounds like fun.
Buster
QUOTE (WearsManySkins)
Waits for the Admin Hammer to fall on Buster for that last attempt at humor.

<pelted by stones> Ouch, oo! Not the face!

biggrin.gif
Dashifen
For what it's worth, I chuckled a bit, too.
BookWyrm
I *just* got the book today, & I've been really busy at work. I'm going to savor this by reading it through.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (WearsManySkins)
Waits for the Admin Hammer to fall on Buster for that last attempt at humor.

<pelted by stones> Ouch, oo! Not the face!

biggrin.gif

Nay stones, Full unopened Fosters Beer Cans, the Aussy big ones. biggrin.gif

WMS
Fortune
Real Aussies don't drink Fosters! biggrin.gif
Zhan Shi
Interesting. If one of the prerequisites for the Cybermancy metamagic technique is Corruption, does that not mean that the ritual team leader, at least, must be a Toxic? This puts that conversation in Cybertechnology in a whole new light, both in terms of the participants, and in whomever posted it to Shadowland.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Interesting. If one of the prerequisites for the Cybermancy metamagic technique is Corruption, does that not mean that the ritual team leader, at least, must be a Toxic? This puts that conversation in Cybertechnology in a whole new light, both in terms of the participants, and in whomever posted it to Shadowland.

Apparently. I had written it as requiring Invoking or Corruption or Metamorphosis - idea being that Cybermancy was an advanced Conjuring metamagic available to every branch of magic. However the editors in their infinite wisdom shortened the list and turned the or into an and. The end result is that the team leader must be a Toxic.

Retroactively makes me view the Heaven Herds with even more suspicion, since they've been handing the practice down through the generations and every single person along the way had to also be Toxic.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
That's not a take I like on the HeavenHerds. I don't think of them as any sort of nice folks certainly. They should be the types to use blood magic for their ends as the Therans did, although not as an end in and onf it's self as the Azzie's do. But I don't think they should be toxics. Hadn't really thought about that before.
nathanross
Yeah, I really liked the cybermancy fluff, and especially the take that there are different ways to achieve the result. Forcing Corruption into the mix kinda screws the fluff. Though I guess even to the Heaven Herds, the magic was revolting and only used if absolutely necessary.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Fortune)
Real Aussies don't drink Fosters! biggrin.gif

Yes I know that from personal experience, I would never throw a beer at anyone if it was halfway drinkable. biggrin.gif
Synner
Those having a problem with the Heaven Herds using Corruption, I would remind that if their technique is as old as its supposed to be they need not obey the paradigm views of contemporary magic use (in the same manner that the use of Blood Magic by IEs does not make all of them Twisted - though a pretty good case could be made in for some individuals) - though it would explain why even the Herds believe it to be an extreme scenarios only solution.
fistandantilus4.0
I don't have a problem at all with them using Corruption. I have a problem with them having to use Corruption, if that is indeed the case. But that's just me.
Zhan Shi
I remember now. From FASA's Theran Empire book. There was talk of the Heavenherds creating magical super-soldiers through the extensive use of blood charms. Normaly, an ED character could have only so many of these before suffering "depatternization", which I'm guessing is the ED equivalent of zero essence. But the Heavenherds found a way around this limitation, creating what what was, in effect, an SR cyberzombie.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I don't have a problem at all with them using Corruption. I have a problem with them having to use Corruption, if that is indeed the case. But that's just me.

It's not just you.

-Frank
MaxHunter
Firstly, I have to say that my overall impression of the book is definitely a positive one. I didn't find any hideously broken part and I consider the addition of several options with no game breaking parts a plus to the game.
Then, more specifically...

... I really liked many of the new qualities that come up in the book. Not only cyberpsychosis -which I wanted for a character I had in mind- but many of the others in the CZ section too. I have opened that option for starting characters as well, as I find phobias, for instance, much more interesting and playable than allergies and easier to come by.

I don't remember now, but the 5-point negative quality "mysteriously noisy cyberware" or so is really cool.

More comments later on, stay tuned.

Cheers,

Max

Ps: I do believe the attention co processor a little too cheap, as I think of muscle toner and augmentation, but I won't even houserule it differently. The expensive life of a shadowrunner has it breaks.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
Dual-natured beings aren't supposed to suffer unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage every Combat Turn they're in a warp/void?

While we have not explicitly stated anything to that effect regarding dual-natured beings in SR4 (we're saving that for Running Wild), it isn't a stretch to conclude that something similar occurs given the descriptions regarding the experiences of magicians in Voids and Mana Warps.

What the hell?

SM pp. 120 and 121, Mana Voids and Warps, "Dual-natured or astrally-perceiving characters resist this damage..." So no, it's no stretch of the imagination because it's right there in black and white.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 8 2007, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 6 2007, 02:02 PM)
Dual-natured beings aren't supposed to suffer unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage every Combat Turn they're in a warp/void?

While we have not explicitly stated anything to that effect regarding dual-natured beings in SR4 (we're saving that for Running Wild), it isn't a stretch to conclude that something similar occurs given the descriptions regarding the experiences of magicians in Voids and Mana Warps.

What the hell?

SM pp. 120 and 121, Mana Voids and Warps, "Dual-natured or astrally-perceiving characters resist this damage..." So no, it's no stretch of the imagination because it's right there in black and white.

I was referring to the fact that the rules in SR4 (the core book) or SM do not describe the experience as one of "unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage."

Yeah, they take damage and damage is painful, but under the rules as written the pain or torment felt is simply a result of suffering that damage to their astral form period (ie. the experience itself is not directly described as causing additional torment and pain, though this can be extrapolated from the optional possibility of gaining negative qualities from the experience).

Furthermore in this context (if you continue to read my response) I was also addressing the fact that such damage to an dual natured creature is not the direct result of the reduction of Magic to 0 to below as a result of the high or low background count (and consequently a cyberzombie wouldn't be immune to it either).
nathanross
QUOTE (Synner @ Posted on Sep 8 2007, 04:05 PM)

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @  Sep 8 2007, 07:31 PM)

QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 6 2007 @  02:02 PM)

What the hell?

I was referring to the fact that the rules in SR4 (the core book) or SM do not describe the experience as one of "unbelievable torment and pain in addition to suffering damage."

Yeah, they take damage and damage is painful, but under the rules as written the pain or torment felt is simply a result of suffering that damage to their astral form period (ie. the experience itself is not directly described as causing additional torment and pain, though this can be extrapolated from the optional possibility of gaining negative qualities from the experience).

Furthermore in this context (if you continue to read my response) I was also addressing the fact that such damage to an dual natured creature is not the direct result of the reduction of Magic to 0 to below as a result of the high or low background count (and consequently a cyberzombie wouldn't be immune to it either).

Im sorry Synner, but no matter how much I usually disagree with Dr. Funk, your argument is groundless and it quite clearly states that,
QUOTE (Street Magic p. 121)
Exposing oneself to the astral plane within a mana warp is as dangerous as attempting to tap its power. Dual-natured beings and astral forms are buffeted by painful, roiling mana that flays their sould and drives them mad. Mana warps cause damage to dual-natured beings and astral forms in the same manner as voids (see Voids, p. 119). Within the astral space of a mana warp, one can only experience madness and senseless chaos.

Now I have experienced pain and whatnot, but pain that flays your very soul?????? If that is not a clear statement of what it is like to be within a wana warp, I dont know what is.

I would also go as far as to say that a similar level of pain exists within a mana void, as pain usually increases with the damage taken, and the level of damage is exactly the same between warps and voids. I would personally flavor it differently in a void, such as the incredible feeling of loss and hopelessness when your soul fades into nothingness.

If you are looking for why CZs are okay in space, shouldn't you start by elaborating on the domain they exist in? Instead of nitpicking about what you and other developers "said", I would like to see a real argument.
Synner
You are correct. I was comparing to the mana void writeup and overlooked those lines under Mana Warps. I apologize to Dr. Funk with regards to the missing those lines describing the phenomenon as relates to Warps.

However, what I was referring to was the fact that in previous editions mere contact with Voids / fovae (in particular) resulted in psychological torment and mental distress (among other effects) that were in addition and separate from any physical or psychic damage wrought by the actual contact with the Void (see the old adventure Eyewitness and Aztlan). So far in SR4, torment and pain has been directly described as a result of astral contact with "roiling mana that flays their soul and drives them mad" in mana warps.

Note though that this effect is unrelated to the "reduction in magic" that we've been talking about here, and which was the point I was making: ie. reducing the Magic att does not kill, harm, or by itself cause "torment and pain."

The discussion may have since drifted, but I have been responding to the proposition (by Frank and others) that reducing a Magic Att will (by itself) kill the dual natured entity (cyberzombies included) in SR4. I apologize if that was unclear.

For the record I have stated multiple times that cyberzombies should not be immune to the other effects of Voids and Warps (put a cyberzombie in space and he most certainly will go pop on the astral)- it is the effects of low end background counts that they should be immune to.
Rotbart van Dainig
As the rules are now, he always is in his personal, aspected domain and thus never subject to environmental mana conditions.
Synner
That is correct. For now. I have also stated my opinion on how that should be handled when we address interactions between background counts of different magnitudes - something that is in the developer's hands for upcoming errata/FAQ.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012