Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Kyoto Kid
...getting the distinct feeling that the Moderator Maglock is closing in...

...I for one would really like to continue discussing Augmented in general.
Zhan Shi
Well....as I said at the beginning, the cybermancy portion was what really intrigued me. I liked seeing a more in depth approach to how it is done, what magics are involved, etc. Although like many SR explanations, they raise as many questions as they answer. Something of a letdown: being a fan of the original Cybertechnology book, I was hoping for an update on Hatchetman, but I was pleased that he was mentioned.
knasser

Right. I'm getting told off by PM now for making personal attacks. I have warned the moderators before that I have a low tolerance for having my freedom of expression restricted. Anyone who knew my background would understand just how angry censorship makes me. And I think those who have been here a long time are familiar with my posts enough to know that I'm one of the politer people around here.

I think... I have had enough. It has been interesting here, but I'll wish you all the best (even Dr. Funkenstein) and say my farewells. Happy gaming all.

-Khadim Nasser.
Zhan Shi
<ahem>

uh....bon voyage, I guess.
Penta
Now...can we please quit focusing on small parts of cyberanatomy and get back to the goddamn book?

Both sides in that argument sound stupid at this point.

On that note: Now that we've mentioned cosmetic surgery and cosmetic cyber...

What about their medical cousins? What are medications like in 2070? What kinda vaccines do kids get? How beatable is AIDS, or cancer, or diabetes?

We've never once heard those really mentioned.
Zhan Shi
Nor have I. Me, I just assume that meds are still primarily in capsule form. As for those diseases, since I can't recall them being cured in SR canon, I would think they're still around, albeit easier to diagnose and treat.
Jaid
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 5 2007, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (The Jopp)
It's merely a few pages

You are talking about a book that has no Index because it has not enough pages.

[snip]

actually, iirc it wasn't given an index so it could get to the printers on time, not because of page count. i think.

QUOTE (The Jopp)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 5 2007, 10:16 AM)

Cars have the same price tag. In SR as well as in the real world - and yet people manage to buy one.

That is true but that was not quite my point.

The problem is that when they describe a cybernetic limb as something that poor people would use as they cant afford something better, that's where the rules VS fluff falls apart.

Cloned limb
Type O: 21K / 4 Weeks
Cultured: 25K / 4 Weeks

Cyberlimb
Obvious: 15K
Synthetic: 20K
Availability: 4

The only basic difference between getting yourself a new cloned limb is TIME not money.

Slash prices for cyberlimbs in half and the prices would reflect the option of getting a "cheap mechanical limb" compared to a good ol' cloned limb.

suppose that you're a health insurance company. you have to pay for, say, 20,000 replacement limbs per year for people in lower income brackets (ie don't pay for 'platinum service'). are you going to provide them with obvious cyberlimbs, or are you gonna spend another 6k *each* providing them with cloned limbs? (or, even if you assume synthetic limbs, that's still 1k each... that's 20,000,000 nuyen.gif difference. now which is gonna look better to your shareholders... 20 million more in earnings, or that your clients didn't suffer any essence loss (which, for the record, you won't find a spot for in any financial statement that i am aware of).

furthermore, let's pretend you're one of these low-income workers. you can't afford to miss work for 1 week let alone a few months while you wait for your limb to be cloned (assuming your medical insurance actually even covers the cloned limb). you gonna get the obvious (or even synthetic) cyberlimb which can be implanted within the week and have you back at work (remember, worker's comp doesn't cover the wait time for the cloned limb when you have almost no rights), or are you gonna get the cloned limb replacement?

[edit] had to add in the second quote and response =S [/edit]
Cain
You know, I'm going to break with tradition and agree with the good Dr. It's not so much that there's cyber-naughty-bits in Augmentation, it's not so much that they've got tons of space wasted on them that could have been used elsewhere. My view is that the sexual bits have been handled badly, with all the tact and taste of Beavis and Butthead.

As for the rest of the book, all I've got to say is this: Once again, they've escalated things, so the game will rapidly be unplayable unless you've got the new books to keep up.
Dashifen
What do you mean by escalated things, Cain? If someone doesn't have Augmentation, why would they have a problem playing the game?
eidolon
Well, I agree that the rules / gear bloat is rapidly becoming the same as it ever was, but I've been saying that since people started trying to say that SR4 was going to be more "streamlined" ...because at the time there was only one book for it.

I don't know that I agree with unplayable, though. I haven't read Aug in depth yet, do you have any specific examples or just a better explanation of what you mean? Are you talking about sheer power level, or just the abundance of "stuff"?
Cain
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Sep 5 2007, 02:55 PM)
What do you mean by escalated things, Cain?  If someone doesn't have Augmentation, why would they have a problem playing the game?

What I mean is, back in SR3, people complained that the game was essentially unplayable unless you had all the splatbooks (M&M, R3, etc.) That wasn't really the case: the game was playable, but you couldn't hope to keep a character on par without the splats. Street Magic continued that trend, and Augmentation does it even more so.

If I created a sammie without Augmentation, or even a decker, I'd get chewed up and mowed over by a character who used that book. I couldn't keep up, no matter what I tried. Older characters are now rendered obsolete, and the lie has been put to the "One book game" stated goal of SR4.

Edit:
Are you talking about sheer power level, or just the abundance of "stuff"?

Both, but mostly power level. For example, I sincerely doubt that I'll ever see a cybered character without an rating 3 Attention coprocessor. Heck, that was my first addition to Mr. Lucky.
Ol' Scratch
You know, when it was first released I looked at Augmentation with a very critical eye, almost positive that the "power bloat" was going to be there. You know, where stuff in Augmentation were absolutely required in order to be competitive.

I was pleasantly surprised by how that wasn't the case. It seems like it at times, and there's things in there that are odd and which can easily be twisted, but overall they only expand your arsenal, they don't replace it. Augmentation literally gives most characters new stuff to play with, as opposed to rendering everything in the main book moot (with the exception of cyberlimbs which totally needed to be updated).

Sure, there are some really choice items in there (Radar Sense, Attention Coprocessors, Nanohives, etc.) but, as I said, those are mostly just new gimmicks or universal improvements rather than "omfg, my Street Sam is useless without a Radar Sense!"

So, yeah, I disagree about the power bloat. Rules bloat is unavoidable in rules-heavy books (it's the entire point of them, in fact). Overall, Augmentation is one of the best releases the game's had in a long time.
fistandantilus4.0
Sorry, Im' just amused at the irony of this.

paraphrase:
Cain
"Weird I agree with Doc"

Doc
"I disagree with Cain".

biggrin.gif

Sorry you guys just make me laugh.

I personally don't think it's really much a of a bloat,although I do most certainloyl see Cain's point. I've only read over Augmentatino, not read it in deep depth. Skipped the nonotech section for the most part. But I've got games with people that have that stuff so it becomes required reading for me. However this isn't D&D where they're going to be puting out 2 Class augmetations books for each class as well as numerous books that add more spells, gear, etc. There's one for each type of character focus, and that's it. So it might be husky, but it's not bloat. My opinion.
Synner
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 5 2007, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (The Jopp)
It's merely a few pages

You are talking about a book that has no Index because it has not enough pages.[snip]

actually, iirc it wasn't given an index so it could get to the printers on time, not because of page count. i think.

That is correct. We couldn't get the index done in time to make it a GenCon release.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
For example, I sincerely doubt that I'll ever see a cybered character without an rating 3 Attention coprocessor.

It's nice - but not that nice... Reception Enhancement bioware costs more, but works for Matrix and Sensors (even Astral...), too.
Cain
Don't have the book right on hand, but aren't they compatible? That, plus the Intuition-linked skill-boosting nanoware, means the Perception whore is now a reality.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cain)
Don't have the book right on hand, but aren't they compatible? That, plus the Intuition-linked skill-boosting nanoware, means the Perception whore is now a reality.

As compared to before? 3-5 extra dice in that 20-30 pool somehow breaks them?
Eleazar
I think augmentation is a solid book. I haven't had the time to read all of the fluff yet, but the gear is great, with some caveats.

I don't care much for the genitalia part, mostly because it will see no use in any of my games and I assume the games of many other players. I don't see myself as the type to have players going through sexual fantasies or exploring the sexual depravity of the cyberpunk genre. That doesn't mean a whore would never be in any game I play or GM in, or that there will never be women that have been raped or involved in a bunraku sex parlor. It just means there won't be any sexual experience involved with the players or GM actively involved, in character or out of character for that matter, during the gaming session. Roleplaying is not a sexual outlet for anyone at my gaming table. Therefore, the inclusion of sexual augmentations is wholly unnecessary and useless for my group. The inclusion of said material seems to be appealing only to a niche market.

Another thing I didn't like was the symbionts are not as effective as I would like them to be. Orthoskin or Bone Density is always going to be the better choice due to the drawback of all symbionts. They cost nearly the same but you get more benefit from not going with the carapace symbiont. What the heck is up with the stalwart endosont. A +1 dice pool modifier, but look at the drawback. Not only do you get the critical miss drawback you get another one with a threshold of 3, that will likely get you killed. I mean, it's like there was some conspiracy of the developers to make symbionts completely not worth the opportunity costs and risks. Which is sad, because Stargate is so awesome. Sorry, just had to say that. I tried not to but it came out.

Everything else so far has been great. I especially like the severe wounds optional rules. Whoever wrote those deserves a pat on the back.
eidolon
QUOTE (Cain)
<Cain's post where he replies to me and Dash>

I thought that's what you meant. I can't speak to SR4 yet, but I agree re: SR3. It was pretty much "everyone uses all of the books or nobody does".
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 5 2007, 10:01 PM)
What do you mean by escalated things, Cain?  If someone doesn't have Augmentation, why would they have a problem playing the game?

What I mean is, back in SR3, people complained that the game was essentially unplayable unless you had all the splatbooks (M&M, R3, etc.) That wasn't really the case: the game was playable, but you couldn't hope to keep a character on par without the splats. Street Magic continued that trend, and Augmentation does it even more so.

The complaints fielded at FanPro over the years had little to do with excessive number of splatbooks or the game being "unplayable unless you had all" of them, in fact we had that criticism didn't even make our top 10 - most SR players enjoy and appreciate books of toys and new options for their characters.

What most SR players didn't like (and the single most common complaint FanPro recieved) was the fact that each splatbook essentially featured an entirely new ruleset and (the second most common complaint) the rules were excessively dispersed over a number of books.

Those criticisms we're combating with SR4 by focusing on keeping the rules streamlined and concentrated in a minimal number of books. Both Street Magic and Augmentation offer less new rules than their SR3 counterparts, even though they feature more equipment. Furthermore, what rules are introduced are streamlined with the core rules (ie. no more learning a new ruleset when the rigger book comes out, or new rules for the Matrix when the hacking book comes out, no longer requiring a calculator to plan out a surgery).

Street Magic condensed material previously spread over seven SR3 books into one book, added 20% of entirely new material, and reduced the number of new mechanics and rules compared to those seven books.

Augmentation condensed material divided among five SR3 books into one book, introduced more than 75 new implants, and still managed to reduce the number of new mechanics and new rules compared to its five predecessors.

As far as I'm concerned we kept our promise to streamline and avoid power-creep on both. For the record, both books did all this while also address the third most common complaint regarding SR3 rulebooks - the absence of fluff.

If I created a sammie without Augmentation, or even a decker, I'd get chewed up and mowed over by a character who used that book.  I couldn't keep up, no matter what I tried. Older characters are now rendered obsolete, and the lie has been put to the "One book game" stated goal of SR4.

Could you point to exactly where this supposed "one book game" goal was ever stated by anyone connected to FanPro/Catalyst?

To the best of my knowledge - as an SR developer - that has never been a stated goal for SR4.

From the day SR4 was released FanPro announced its intention to put out a minimal number of advanced rulebooks: Street Magic, Augmentation, Arsenal and Unwired (In fact we also announced right from the get go the general intention to put out two further optional rule books later on: Runners' Companion and Mr.Johnsons Companion.) We also especifically stated these books would include updates to most of the SR3 gear and options not included in the base SR4 book.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but it certainly had nothing to do with what FanPro announced for SR4.
Synner
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Sep 5 2007, 10:27 PM)
The inclusion of said material seems to be appealing only to a niche market.

Even on this board it's been 50/50 opinionwise so I wouldn't say it's appealing only to a niche market.

Another thing I didn't like was the symbionts are not as effective as I would like them to be.

Symbionts (like genetic infusions) are a new technology in the Sixth World. Give them a few more years to work out the kinks.
Penta
I can't say, for all their newness, that I ever see much of anybody wanting a worm...slug....thing sliding around their insides that potentially has a mind of its own.

One body, ONE mind, thank you very much!
Draconis
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 5 2007, 10:01 PM)

The complaints we fielded at FanPro over the years had little to do with excessive splatbooks or the game being unplayable unless you had all of them, in fact we had very few of that type of comments at all.

Actually the single most common complaint was the excessive dispersion of rules and the fact that each splatbook essentially featured an entirely new ruleset.

Those criticisms we're combating that with SR4 by focusing on keeping the rules streamlined. Both Street Magic and Augmentation offer less new rules than their SR3 counterparts, even though they feature more equipment. Furthermore, what rules are introduced are streamlined with the core rules (ie. no more learning a new ruleset when the rigger book comes out, or new rules for the Matrix when the hacking book comes out, no longer requiring a calculator to plan out a surgery).

If I created a sammie without Augmentation, or even a decker, I'd get chewed up and mowed over by a character who used that book.  I couldn't keep up, no matter what I tried. Older characters are now rendered obsolete, and the lie has been put to the "One book game" stated goal of SR4.

Could you point to exactly where this supposed "one book game" goal was ever stated by anyone connected to FanPro/Catalyst?

Because to the best of my knowledge as an SR developer that has never been a stated goal for SR4. From the day SR4 was released FanPro announced its intention to put out a minimal number of advanced rulebooks: Street Magic, Augmentation, Arsenal and Unwired (In fact we also announced right from the get go the general intention to put out two further optional rule books later on: Runners' Companion and Mr.Johnsons Companion.) We also specifically stated these books would include updates to most of the SR3 gear and options not included in the base SR4 book.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but it certainly had nothing to do with what FanPro announced for SR4.

I'm glad the splats are coming out. My only complaint was the huge time gap between the SR4 book and Street Magic.

I'm still baffled by people who don't want options. One book game my ass.
Draconis
QUOTE (Penta)
I can't say, for all their newness, that I ever see much of anybody wanting a worm...slug....thing sliding around their insides that potentially has a mind of its own.

One body, ONE mind, thank you very much!

I wouldn't mind. I just didn't see much utility to them so I passed. We'll see what the future ones do. I do like the idea though, but I'm a biologist so I guess I'm biased. smile.gif
Zhan Shi
I agree with Draconis. The more splats, the merrier. For myself, I'm very much anticipating Runner's Companion and Mr. Johnson's Companion, moreso than Unwired or Arsenal. Though, of course, I will eagerly buy those when they become available.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Sep 5 2007, 10:27 PM)
The inclusion of said material seems to be appealing only to a niche market.

Even on this board it's been 50/50 opinionwise so I wouldn't say it's appealing only to a niche market.

While this could very well be true, there is a big difference between not having a problem with something and actually implementing it into your game. Neither of us have done anything close to what could be considered an appropriate analysis of the market, so who knows.Though maybe someone in Catalyst Labs has, I don't know. Thats why I said seems, because it is mere conjecture.

These forums are not even necessarily a good indication because forum members of role-playing games, I would think, are not an accurate representation of your full market. It would be interesting to know how many customers you have and, out of those, have expressed a view on these forums.
Cain
There forums are, at best, a reflection of the truly dedicated SR fans. Of everyone I know in real life, I'm the only one who loves Shadowrun enough to post here. Given that there's a 50/50 split among diehard fans, that doesn't bode well for its value among the casual fan, let alone the target market.
Whipstitch
My reaction ranged from utter, abject apathy to mild enthusiasm for the more "peurile" stuff put into the SR4 books since release. I'm happy when given options that already work within the confines of the core rules and don't require a single person across the globe to change their playstyle for the worse. Will this stuff ever come up in my groups? Probably not, but then, I can honestly say the same thing about endosonts, exploding biokittens, drop bears, Nitro and Dunkelzahn. I'd have to double check my pdf to make sure, but I think the ginormous section describing how Gecko Hands worked took up more space than the Penile & Breast implants combined. I can honestly say I have never suspected for even a second that this stuff could be truly shunting aside "more important" SR4 developments.
Kyoto Kid
...blast, and here I was hoping they'd have machine gun juggies. grinbig.gif

....but seriously, I have no issue with the "fluff ware" and I find some of it (like Clean Metabolism, Touch Sensitivity, and Body Sculpting) to actually be rather helpful at times. Other enhancements like Fibre Optic hair and Nano Tatoos are purely colour, but hey it's a game so why not have a little fun?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 5 2007, 04:39 PM)

You confuse "OMFG YAY, THEY FINALLY HAVE RULES FOR CYBER[SMURFS]! WE'VE NEEDED THEM FOR SO LONG!!!" with "I don't see the harm in them being there." I've only really seen one person on these boards who feel that way, and he was just thrilled at being able to have cyber[snorks] who could squirt poison as a joke concept. Maturity at it's finest. The next closes was someone coming up with weird, obscure ideas that had nothing to do with needing rules at all (ie, being a run objective).

So yeah. It's definitely a 50/50 split. And nothing more like like a 5/45/50 split. (Sorry, but indifference does not equate to positive.)
Zhan Shi
For those of you who might wish to explore the possibilities of, ah, personal enhancement, I would suggest "Freak Legion: A Player's Guide To Fomori" and "Clanbook: Tzimsce", both by White Wolf. Sick stuff, and much to blame for why I left that game.
FrankTrollman
I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the Cybermancy was received. I genuinely thought my write-up was going to be a huge up hill battle with people chanting "Burn the Munchkin!" and such.

The outcry against cyberpenises also surprised me. Though in retrospect I guess it should not have. Still, I think it was handled with much more class than the "Mr. Stud Implant" ever was.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 5 2007, 07:36 PM)
I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the Cybermancy was received. I genuinely thought my write-up was going to be a huge up hill battle with people chanting "Burn the Munchkin!" and such.

Cybermancy was easy to accept. It's a well-established aspect of the game, something that does come up in a lot of games, and is something mostly focused on the GM's side rather than the player's (so any sense of "abusable munchkindom" rests solely in their hands).

The outcry against cyberpenises also surprised me. Though in retrospect I guess it should not have. Still, I think it was handled with much more class than the "Mr. Stud Implant" ever was.

Granted.

'Course, on that note, I'd have rather the space be used to give items brand names and/or sample alternative brand names ala Rigger 3 (I recently found out how much fun it was making up such for all of my characters, in fact). While the Mr. Stud Implant was just as retarded, the fact that they gave it a brand name was awesome.

The lack of brand names and growing distance of "sales pitch" descriptions makes me sad. It's a simple yet incredibly powerful tool for adding some color and style to a game.
Zhan Shi
Here's a thought....a smurf containing doses of nanotech cutters. Ouch!

But seriously, it's not a big issue for me. I just don't think it was neccessary. I was happily playing SR for 10 years without giving it a second thought.

Hey, Frank, since you're here....can I expect Hatchetman to show up in the future?
Zhan Shi
Re-reading Augmentation....just wanted to say I also liked the new stuff on DNA masking. Much better than the rules in SOTA.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 5 2007, 04:39 PM)

You confuse "OMFG YAY, THEY FINALLY HAVE RULES FOR CYBER[SMURFS]! WE'VE NEEDED THEM FOR SO LONG!!!" with "I don't see the harm in them being there." I've only really seen one person on these boards who feel that way, and he was just thrilled at being able to have cyber[snorks] who could squirt poison as a joke concept. Maturity at it's finest. The next closes was someone coming up with weird, obscure ideas that had nothing to do with needing rules at all (ie, being a run objective).

So yeah. It's definitely a 50/50 split. And nothing more like like a 5/45/50 split. (Sorry, but indifference does not equate to positive.)

Indifference may not be support, but neither does it equate to to dissent. I think the whole discussion would die if not for a few people who simply must tell us how distasteful the topic is at every opportunity.

One of the things I've always enjoyed about SR is that it's a kind of a "stealth GURPS". It's supposed to be a game focused on shadowrunning, but really, the rules can handle a wide variety of game types. It's even fairly useful outside the shadowrun setting. So if someone was going to run a hentai campaign, they've got enough support to go on. I like it. I think it should be there. I think it, if you'll excuse the play on words, fluffs out the setting a bit. It does add to the setting, letting us know that in 2070 people are still sex obsessed enough to replace their genitals. That says a lot about humanity: They're dissociated enough from thier bodies to rip out the pleasure centers and replace them with a machine, but still to sex-obsessed to give up on the damn things to begin with. Thats not a dick joke. That's a powerful statement about metahumanity.

I hardly consider the thing offensive in it's inclusion in a setting that has, on a regular basis, talked about brothels that people are kidnapped to work in, forcibly given cyber and biomods, jacked up on addictive personafixes so they lose theirselves and can't remember what the John does to them, get raped, brutalized, forcibly impregnated, forced to give birth, their children harvested by organleggers for spare parts, and finally when their bodies give out, are fed to ghouls. If the setting can handle the inclusion of that level of sexually-related violence, then I think it can take the existence of the cyberpenis in stride.

I know you told me you would ignore all my posts, Doc. But I'm extending the olive branch here. Please, Please just let it drop. The only cost of their inclusion was an opportunity cost in another paragraph of text on another topic. I think you have to accept that a paragraph of material that you don't personally find useful but that others might enjoy is bound to happen in any work that has an audience greater than one.
Fortune
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Indifference may not be support, but neither does it equate to to dissent.

But he never said it did. Please note the 5/45/50 ratio in his post delineating that very fact. smile.gif
Jaid
off the top of my head, i can think of at least 2 character concepts that i've seen on these boards that revolve around a the character being one gender, but appearing to be a different gender. that's one use.

with the breasts, they have size alteration, for example. useful for disguse purposes, i would think, to be able to go from flat-chested to normal sized to absurdly large at a moment's notice... throw in something as simple as a reversible coat and a hat that can be stuffed into a pocket and you could vanish into a crowd in an instant. would you have known the implant could do that if they didn't say it did?

also, if you can't see the advantage to being able to turn off the pain receptors in certain highly sensitive areas of your body when, for example, you've just been kicked there really hard (by someone wearing steel-toe boots!), then clearly no one has ever hit you in a sensitive enough area of your body =P

in another example, going to one of the games that's being recounted on these boards, one of the characters is probably feeling somewhat emasculated right about now... in character, i think it would be reasonable for him to want to get a replacement, so that he doesn't seem like such a freak in a certain kind of social encounter.

so yes, i can absolutely see uses for them. does it need bonuses or penalties to certain kinds of actions in the text? nope. does it have them? nope. but because it does have them [edit] (meaning the implants) [/edit], the players of those characters have options they may not have otherwise considered. i don't see that as a bad thing at all.

and certainly, i don't see the inclusion of two paragraphs of text as being worth derailing a thread this horribly. honestly, you took a thread about "hey, what is augmentation like", and turned it into a completely pointless waste of time. you've focused the entire thread on two little paragraphs of text, which i don't believe anywhere near 50% of the people even really care about one way or another anyways (so as far as i'm concerned, your 5/45/50 is pulled out of your own nether orifice at least as much as the original 50/50 split proposed).

you know what? chances are, i am never going to use that crazy cyber cat thing. in fact, i will probably not use bio drones at all in my games. there's a lot more text about them then there is about those two implants, or even the entire cosmetic modifications sections combined plus those two implants. you have 2 paragraphs that you see as wasted, well that's several pages i see as wasted (on me, at least). but when someone says "hey, what do you think about augmentation", i don't ignore the 99% of the book that i think is awesome to go on a rant about how i don't like those pages. and i'd appreciate it if you would just state your opinion, and then leave it at that. it doesn't take much. just say "i don't like this and this" and then when someone else says "well i think it's fine" *ignore them*. you don't have to rant about it. you don't have to derail the thread. you don't have to go on and on about it (and contrary to what you are saying, you *are* going on and on about it), and i would honestly say right now that if we had a poll of people who are for, against, or just want to stop hearing about the matter, i would be very surprised if there are not far more people who just don't want to hear about it then anything else.

so really, i appreciate that you have your opinion. i have my own opinion about it (and in all honesty, i'm not likely to use it either, and really don't much care. it's only 2 paragraphs). but i don't want to read your opinion over and over and over and over and over (see how boring repetition gets? this is a forum for discussion, not a brainwashing program, thank you), i'm perfectly fine just hearing your opinion *once*.
eidolon
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
It does add to the setting, letting us know that in 2070 people are still sex obsessed enough to replace their genitals. That says a lot about humanity: They're dissociated enough from thier bodies to rip out the pleasure centers and replace them with a machine, but still to sex-obsessed to give up on the damn things to begin with. Thats not a dick joke. That's a powerful statement about metahumanity.

Seeing this perspective back when the PDF had just come out was actually what deflated my irritation regarding the whole thing. It's a nice reminder that not every gamer is instantly going to go "haha pull my finger" with it, and since that was my initial reason for disliking its inclusion, I'm firmly in the "eh" category on it now. Huge jump, I know.

And the bit about having to accept bits of a work that's made for many couldn't be more spot on. Takes a bit to remember that sometimes, especially when something is really annoying to you, but you're almost always better off just ignoring it. At least your blood pressure is better off if you do. biggrin.gif

Not that I'm really one to talk. sarcastic.gif
WearzManySkins
Ok I like Augmentation, does it have "perceived" flaws, to me not really. I have found the "whole" flavor of Augmentation to be excellant.

Each chapter was laid out, in an entirely readable format.

In my 20+ years of playing SR, I have had only one player character use a cyberarm, I have never created any character with a cyberlimb.

Does that mean my players are any different than any one else's, no. They made choices that they wanted to make, yes they were aware of cyberlimbs, but most of the time it did not fit the "concept" that those players had for their characters.

Will I berate the developers/writers/editors for "wasting" page space on something that I have not used, or will more than likely not use, No.

I understand that the game concepts vary from each GM and player group. So the inclusion of the cyberlimbs gives the entirety of SR gamers to make better choices of character concept using the widest range of choices.

The developers/writers/editors were able to "craft" the Augmentation book by using many different writers and was able to reach a consensus on what the final product would or would not contain, based upon constraints, some of which I know about but most I do not.

I could rant about the "wasted" space of the index and table of contents, yes but no I will not.

Merely because you see no use in an item(s) does not mean they should not be there. The the developers/writers/editors were "crafting" the Augmentation book for a wider range of GM's and players, so they could find the tools/items needed to create their concepts in characters both player character and non player character.

Excellent Job on Augmentation, I hope the next publication is as good, and hopefully better.

WMS
Fortune
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
In my 20+ years of playing SR ...

20+ years???!!! Hmmmm ...

The very first edition of the Shadowrun role playing game was originally released in 1989, which to my calculations was only 18 years ago. Were you one of the original developers?
fistandantilus4.0
I believe the pros and cons about cyber genitalia has been gone over way past it's usefulness. Let's move on please. There's already a thread specifically about this subject, so if you really want to continue going on that topic, feel free to dig it back up. Otherwise, please move on to other topics in the book.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I believe the pros and cons about cyber genitalia has been gone over way past it's usefulness.

At least you didn't say "ins and outs of cyber genitalia".

I'm tired of restraining myself from these obvious openings. biggrin.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Sep 6 2007, 01:27 PM)

The very first edition of the Shadowrun role playing game was originally released in 1989, which to my calculations was only 18 years ago. Were you one of the original developers?

Crap, they've realized that you're a precog IE. RUN!
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
...obvious openings...

<coughs>
fistandantilus4.0
hehehe.... wait... when did you start restraining your self?
eidolon
Dammit, Fortune! You're the reason we can't have anything nice!

biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Sep 6 2007, 01:27 PM)

I will take your word on that,,my 1st eds are securely stored.

No I was not, but I was one of the many play testers on the 2nd Ed on Genie when FASA had forums there, still have flat files on the many topics there.

WMS
Zhan Shi
Oh, my. I seem to have a "Inspiring Lively Discussion" negative quality. First Moleskin, now this. But I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on the subject(s) at hand.

Another "Hurrah" to the Augmentation writers: the inclusion of cyberpsychosis. It dosn't matter whether it was taken as a nod to Cyberpunk; it really fits, and I'm glad it was included. I was thinking of adapting this rule as a start down the path of the Twisted. After all, having wierd powers can alienate one from the rest of metahumanity as surely as cyber could. That whole "I'm above you puny mortals" thing.
Zhan Shi
Are you by any chance the inspiration for Man-of-Many-Skins?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012