Ryu
The order of books was changed around. SR5 is after Unwired grinbig.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 28 2008, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jan 28 2008, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (Fortune)
You forgot the Gel Packs.

No..they weren't out when he was being run...

Gel Packs came out in the Street Samurai Catalog, which was the very first supplement for SR1.

I swear they were a Fields of Fire add on...

They were a Fields of Fire addition.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jan 27 2008, 08:07 AM)
Okay, I give up. I've been through the vehicle modifications section twice over and I cannot find any modification for increasing Body of a vehicle / drone. Where is this please?

Apologies, my bad. "Structural Reinforcement" didn't make the final cut. IIRC It allowed you to increase Bod by 1 (to a max of 3) for 10% decrease in Speed and was a standard mod for drones. Consider this an unofficial mod until you see it on the official website.

Whats the associated costs?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Jan 27 2008, 06:21 PM)
I like the book but I have a concern re: form fitting armor.  Am I reading this correctly, that form fitting is the only kind of armor that can be layered underneath other armor?  Won't this mean everyone will be wearing it, especially considering the relatively low cost?

Damn near so...any professional runner in SR3 or SR4 should have a set of FFBA. In many ways, it serves as an easy bar to set posers apart from the rest.

...half it's armour value modifier still counts against encumberance so people won't necessarily be layering it on as in 3rd ed. Where it really has it's a benefit is wearing it underneath the lighter forms of the styled clothing armour. Also Saw that Zoé still offers the "Second Skin" line as well.
Whipstitch
It's also important to remember that encumbrance penalties for being just a couple points of armor higher than your bodyx2 aren't really -that-debilitating provided your character has decent reaction and agility scores to begin with; I wouldn't go over my encumbrance limit for just a point or two, but for four ballistic, I'd start considering it. For example, even an elf or a human with only 4 body could potentially get quite a bit of mileage out of an armored jacket, form fitting halfsuit and a Pain Editor or Trauma Damper. 12 ballistic before cybermods are considered is nothing to sneeze at.
Kyoto Kid
...I just don't like penalties to begin with. There are enough conditional ones to deal with that I have no desire to load any more on considering my characters usually don't have outrageous double digit DPs to begin with (well...with the exception of Kat Markova's First Aid Skill, but then that group doesn't have a mage).
Whipstitch
It all depends on the dicepool ranges and where your primary skills lie. A couch potato Hacker/Rigger or Mage may still be better off taking a -1 Agility/Reaction penalty in exchange for 4 armor rather than hoping their modest meat skills will always be enough to prevent them from catching a bullet, especially since their jobs sometime include leaving their shoes briefly unattended whereas my Covert Ops character would be much happier simply wearing some shin and forearm guards under her chameleon suit and avoiding the penalty. To each their own.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I just don't like penalties to begin with. There are enough conditional ones to deal with that I have no desire to load any more on considering my characters usually don't have outrageous double digit DPs to begin with (well...with the exception of Kat Markova's First Aid Skill, but then that group doesn't have a mage).

You forgot to count that one biggrin.gif

Edit: Or, did you stop. I thought the running tally was interesting.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
I swear they were a Fields of Fire add on...

Very well might be. I'm old and senile. I just know they've been out as long as most other armor options.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 28 2008, 12:32 PM)
...I just don't like penalties to begin with.  There are enough conditional ones to deal with that I have no desire to load any more on considering my characters usually don't have outrageous double digit DPs to begin with (well...with the exception of Kat Markova's First Aid Skill, but then that group doesn't have a mage).

You forgot to count that one biggrin.gif

Edit: Or, did you stop. I thought the running tally was interesting.

...gave it up after surpassing the century mark. Just was getting a little bit old to me.

[Well I was trying to put a link to the actual response here. but for some reason couldn't target the actual post. All I get is the top of the page the post is on instead of the response itself. When I open the post with the "edit post" option and copy/paste the location from address field in Firefox,( the way I remember doing it) the the link goes to the right post but pulls it up still opened in "editing" mode (very bad). I know I have done this before so I am not sure why it isn't working right.]
Fortune
You could do a search for your specific post and then use that link.
MITJA3000+
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question, but still, I will:
Will there be any other gear/vehicle books for SR4? Are there any plans for something? Like catalogs of sorts. I mean, everybody and their mama loved Street Samurai Catalog and the Rigger Black Book. Kinda like CP2020 had Chromebooks...
hobgoblin
cant say there have been any announcements, and i suspect its a bit far ahead to say.

they still need to get unwired out there to cover the last of bit of expanded base rules before one can really start to do sota:xx style books again imo.
Ryu
So far they have done a great job of keeping the power level. Too many systems have sourcebook power creep. Once Unwired is finished, theory demands that they only publish background books.

Additional gear could easily be handled by the Holostreets subscription service.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ryu)
Additional gear could easily be handled by the Holostreets subscription service.

Or not! Some of us are not necessarily in the position where subscribing to anything is feasible. That, and then there's the problem of what is considered 'official' in 'official games', where not everyone may have access to any such net resource (if it ever manages to materialize).
Jaid
QUOTE (Ryu)

so, in other words... you think they should wait until SR7 before releasing any new gear?
Earlydawn
Sorry to jump way ahead, but with Arsenal out, where does the release queue stand, and what's the approximate date on Unwired?

Arsenal is great, btw. So much in there that it boggles the mind! biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...yeah when I fired up the PDF last night I felt like the proverbial kid in a candy store.

I absolutely love the fashion armour. Some old faves are back - like the Victory Industrial and Zoé Heritage lines - and a couple new ones, in particular the Vashon "SteamPunk" line (boy, is Violet gonna like that one...) Also glad to see the forearm guards are back along with Shin Guards.

The Weapons section is excellent, a lot of choices and styles (already made some adjustments fo the Short One's armoury). I especially like that little revolver that can fire wither LP or HP rounds and The Gyrojet is back (though I expected it to be just a little more nasty though the upside is you can get it a chargen now)

Still not sure about the advantage of having a Cougar Fineblade though, given the weapon's high cost compared to other blades with the same stats (or the vibro blade).

Skimmed through the explosives section & it looks pretty good at first glance, particularly when it comes to "home cooking". Makes the appropriate Knowledge skills actually somewhat more useful.

The vehicle offerings are OK. Didn't see some of the venerable old timers like the C-60 Titan or the Ares Dragon, Also passenger/cargo capacity (except where obvious like with cycles) seems to be a hazy area as someone already pointed out. I actually kind of like the uni-motorcycle that is one huge wheel (Violet may have to get one of these too, just because it's so odd). And drones? She's already making a shopping list.

I actually have mixed feelings on the martial arts section. They did good on streamlining it somewhat, and a number of manouvres like Finishing Move, Reposte and Two Weapon Technique are rather cool. However, I would rather this was kept more closely tied to Armed/Unarmed combat skill (as it was in CC) instead of being made a Quality. Because of the higher cost (particularly after chargen) I don't see many adepts dumping points this way when they have initiation and MA improvement to deal with.

....ahhh, so much to still go through, so it's off to home and my big easy chair and my notebook comp.
Jaid
am i the only person who noticed the ares dragon in the core rulebook? isn't that like the second time someone has grumbled about it not being in arsenal? seriously, before you grumble about what *isn't* in arsenal, open the main book and look what *is* in there =P

(in all seriousness, just about anything that isn't in arsenal could probably be fairly easily adaptated from what is in arsenal)

i have to say, i personally like arsenal. sure, there's a few things i could have wished for in there, but i can survive =P

(i would really have like new rules for vehicle combat, but as has been noted, that's the harbinger of a new edition!)
Fuchs
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Anyway, there's not very many Japanese made weapons mentioned in Arsenal; I think your best bet is to hope that your GM realizes there's likely a no frills generic Japanese manufactured weapon for every standard weapon category. After all, range and damage codes tend to be uniform from weapon type to weapon type, and I know off the top of my head that there's at least one Japanese arms company, SCK (Shin Chou Kogyo) who has been supplying weapons to Japanacorp security teams like the Red Samurai as far back as least 3rd edition.

SCK's been around since SR1, Street Samurai Catalogue to be exact, with their SMG model which according to the text was used by the Red Samurai.
Vairdic
QUOTE (Earlydawn)
Sorry to jump way ahead, but with Arsenal out, where does the release queue stand, and what's the approximate date on Unwired?

Arsenal is great, btw. So much in there that it boggles the mind! biggrin.gif

We'll have a Second Quarter Release schedule posted up soon, that'll cover the next batch of Shadowrun Books. Watch the CatalystGameLabs.com website (as well as Shadowrun4.com of course) for the schedule!
Shrike30
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Anyway, there's not very many Japanese made weapons mentioned in Arsenal; I think your best bet is to hope that your GM realizes there's likely a no frills generic Japanese manufactured weapon for every standard weapon category. After all, range and damage codes tend to be uniform from weapon type to weapon type, and I know off the top of my head that there's at least one Japanese arms company, SCK (Shin Chou Kogyo) who has been supplying weapons to Japanacorp security teams like the Red Samurai as far back as least 3rd edition.

There's also the Nitama NeMax pistol and Optimum II rifle, the Eichiro Hatamoto, the Shiawase Armaments Puzzler pistol, Nemesis LMG, Retiarius net gun and Blazer... Japan is fairly well represented here. Not to mention katanas, nodachi, nunchucks, shuriken, tonfa, sais...
Ryu
QUOTE (Jaid)
am i the only person who noticed the ares dragon in the core rulebook? isn't that like the second time someone has grumbled about it not being in arsenal? seriously, before you grumble about what *isn't* in arsenal, open the main book and look what *is* in there =P

(in all seriousness, just about anything that isn't in arsenal could probably be fairly easily adaptated from what is in arsenal)

i have to say, i personally like arsenal. sure, there's a few things i could have wished for in there, but i can survive =P

(i would really have like new rules for vehicle combat, but as has been noted, that's the harbinger of a new edition!)

No, the last grumping was on missing armored vehicles. Like the citymaster, which is also in the main book.
Ryu
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Whipstitch)

There's also the Nitama NeMax pistol and Optimum II rifle, the Eichiro Hatamoto, the Shiawase Armaments Puzzler pistol, Nemesis LMG, Retiarius net gun and Blazer... Japan is fairly well represented here. Not to mention katanas, nodachi, nunchucks, shuriken, tonfa, sais...

Then there are cheap Russian and Chinese knock-offs of nearly everything. If you can´t get rid of that special rule, at least take advantage of the fact that quite a bit of the worlds best cyber- and bioware is manufactured in Japan, up to and including Chiba. That -4 could be great.
Stahlseele
especially considering that corporate enclaves there being 3 delta clinics in and around chiba O.o
Moon-Hawk
Oh man, I was up way too late last night reading Arsenal. There's way more good stuff in there than I had time to absorb. As a preliminary review: awesome.
Informed nitpicks and proper bitching take time. wink.gif
Zen Shooter01
I haven't said it properly yet, so now I am saying that Arsenal is a real achievement among supplements. It easily buries all previous SR gear catalogs. I love it. cool.gif

I hope Running Wild is similarly awesome.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Jaid)

...rarely dealt with the meager vehicle list in the Core book (except for drones). In past editions the Ares Dragon only appeared in the various Rigger supplements. That is probably why I didn't notice it in the core book and looked for it in the Arsenal vehicle listings.

Overall I agree Arsenal is an excellent compendium it even has some of the cool spyware & rules from SOTA 64 as well as rollerblades (KK [the character] likes that). Yeah would have liked a Vehicle framework (for designing purposes) but if they included the things we all wanted that would have probably increased the page count by at least another 50% if not more. (or another 25+ MBs for the PDF).

I'm pretty satisfied for a while...

One question: the skill bonus table for tools, does this apply retroactively to the use of kits, shops, & facilities from the Core Book as well?
Shrike30
I'm very happy with Arsenal, for the record. I'm posting errors I find, sure, but the product as a whole makes me quite pleased biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Overall I agree Arsenal is an excellent compendium it even has some of the cool spyware & rules from SOTA 64 as well as rollerblades (KK [the character] likes that). Yeah would have liked a Vehicle framework (for designing purposes) but if they included the things we all wanted that would have probably increased the page count by at least another 50% if not more. (or another 25+ MBs for the PDF).

iirc, it was clearly stated that design rules would not be a part of the packages in this edition of SR, as in previous edition said rules have been repeatedly found "unbalanced".

anyone recall the mach 1+ van?
ThreeGee
No but Airships with more armour than MBT's always caused issues...
Earlydawn
What's Running Wild?
Jaid
KK, it's easy enough for the GM to design his own vehicles. just take one of the core vehicles as a basis, apply a few of the modifications to it, declare it to be a new vehicle (and therefore it counts as unmodified even with those modifications included) and presto! a new vehicle is created. naturally, this wouldn't be possible for players to do unless they have a research facility and a crudload of various employees who can do all the research needed to create a new base vehicle... but i suppose if they somehow managed to pull it off, they could develop an ubergun that counts as unmodded, provided they can get GM approval =P

[edit] running wild is the working title for the rulebook on various critters, iirc. also iirc, they have said it's not going to be like paranormal critters of <location>, but will somehow be different (for one thing, i think they implied some will include rules for playing as characters). in fact, you should probably just put iirc at the start of this whole statement about running wild... i am too lazy to track down where i got this information from =P [/edit]
MYST1C
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

I vividly remember the conceal-7, burst-capable bullpup sports rifle I once built just because the firarms construction system let me do it...
Talk about "pocket artillery".
Moon-Hawk
Hehe, the old weapon customization rules were super-broken. There were no tradeoffs, so if you allow yourself any amount of money you can crank up the capacity and then put any goody you might possibly want into a weapon with room to spare. Then when you finally calculate the cost, sure, it's more than most guns, but it's not out of a runner's price range. Not when you consider what you're getting.

The vehicle rules at least generally required tradeoffs, and typically got prohibitively expensive before becoming too broken. Okay, there are exceptions, but the old vehicle rules were flawed, but not bad.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
iirc, it was clearly stated that design rules would not be a part of the packages in this edition of SR, as in previous edition said rules have been repeatedly found "unbalanced".

...understood.

However, for those of us GMs who like to inject a little more colour into our campaigns having nothing to work from kind of stifles a bit of the creativity. I have no idea what basis to use to say redesign the Marathon C-45/M-7 HiLift STOL transport, the Mini Cooper S, or the Aeon Ku Class MHD Corvette as there are no basic chassis & Powerplant frameworks to build off of as in the Rigger books.

@Jaid: I've tried to work off the basic descriptions but there are no hard fast standards set like the rigger guides offered. IMO, it would seem even easier to build that 622mph van or LTA MBU in 4th for at least the chassis/powerplant descriptions in rigger 3 (and the earlier Rigger supplements) gave parameters work within. Then there's pricing the bloody thing and setting the availability. Without something even remotely basic it just seems way too arbitrary, almost "like magic" (that's the engineer in me talking). cyber.gif
Shrike30
There's 3 GM's in my group, and we were hanging out last night talking about exactly this...

It occurred to us that ships and the like might better be represented as structures. As might tanks.
Kyoto Kid
...well in Rigger 3 they had Bulwark ratings for large ships. Don't know how this would translate to 4th.
hobgoblin
a common saying when rigger3 included carriers and other warships:
"these are things runners fight in, not with or against"
Calabim
It just occurred to me to ask. I play a troll truck driver. Are there any tractor trailer rigs in the book? Rules for large vehicles? How much cargo I can pack into a trailer? Smuggling compartments? Thanx guys.
It trolls!
With Arsenal out but no Unwired yet I'm one set of AI rules short of building KITT. Doesn't stop me from letting a race driver "disappear" and stuff his brain into a CCU though...
Ryu
QUOTE (Calabim)
It just occurred to me to ask. I play a troll truck driver. Are there any tractor trailer rigs in the book? Rules for large vehicles? How much cargo I can pack into a trailer? Smuggling compartments? Thanx guys.

Tractor trailer rig yes, the handling suffers from the size, no volume rules. Smuggling Compartmens yes.
Shrike30
Pretty sure you could just check online for shipping container volumes. I know they come in a few standard lengths...
Ryu
Containers on Wiki

Thats not going to change anytime soon. Just assume road trains are build for 40ft, which is most likely due to intermodal transport chains.
martindv
Oh my god. This is by far the best, my most favorite, "stuff" supplement I've read for SR or any other RPG I play. It is so cool. I especially love the manatech, which I didn't realize was so thorough and just really really cool. It is the diametric opposite of my reaction to Corp Enclaves. I love it.

But what really tipped it and made me giddy was the Bust-A-Move's description. That was priceless.
Ryu
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I have no idea what basis to use to say redesign the Marathon C-45/M-7 HiLift STOL transport, the Mini Cooper S, or the Aeon Ku Class MHD Corvette as there are no basic chassis & Powerplant frameworks to build off of as in the Rigger books.

MiniCooperS...

17000 Hyundai Shin-Hyung (Body of 10)
100 Middle Amenities
3000 Personal Armor 6
2000 Anti-Theft System
-----

You need a "fast" vehicle to build the Cooper, the amount of indoor space is not hardcoded anyway.

There really is no base for that kind of corvette, and I don´t recall the Marathon.
BookWyrm
Still waiting for that PDF preview.
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Feb 12 2008, 02:59 PM) *
Still waiting for that PDF preview.

DUDE, me too.

Come on guys, give us a preview!
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 2 2008, 03:46 AM) *
MiniCooperS...

17000 Hyundai Shin-Hyung (Body of 10)
100 Middle Amenities
3000 Personal Armor 6
2000 Anti-Theft System
-----

You need a "fast" vehicle to build the Cooper, the amount of indoor space is not hardcoded anyway.

There really is no base for that kind of corvette, and I don´t recall the Marathon.

No argument about the Cooper (particularly the Cooper S) being fast. Where I get a bit stymied is with the lack of passenger/cargo space quantification. Maybe not so much in the case of cars & vans but when you get to larger vehicles such as transport aircraft & such I feel I am kind of left with a lot of hand-waving.

Not surprised the Ku class Corvette and Marathon M-7/C-45 threw you for a loop. These were homegrown vehicle types from my campaign world. As I have mentioned in the past I like a lot of background colour and to that end designed a "healthy" compendium of vehicles aircraft and watercraft to provide the players (and NPCs) with more options.

For example The Aeon/Marathon Marine Tek Ku Class fast attack corvette employed MHD propulsion (hinted at in R3 for submersibles) and was developed for the Royal Hawai'ian Navy.

The Marathon Aerotek M-7/C-45 was based loosely on the Lockheed C-60 Titan (which was also omitted in both the core book and Arsenal). It was a large capacity VSTOL (Very Short Takeoff/Landing) submach transport that employed an "active lift wing"® and overwing engines similar in configuration to the AN-72/74

The two corporations above were members of a consortium of several technological firms known as The Olympus Group™.

Part of this comes from my love of engineering which hit a dead end when Boeing nearly shut its (and the city of Seattle's) doors back in the early 70s.
hobgoblin
would a skytrain (p113) do the trick?

funny thing is that its statted with improved takeoff and landing 2, so its vtol. but if one strip that down to 1 you have vstol.

btw, the skytrain lists a renraku titan as a similar model aircraft.

as for the corvette, would the striker on p115 be a start?
as you already seems to do a bit of rules bending on it by it having a MHD drive (only really available on nuclear powered subs in R3 iirc), i would go for a ducted waterjet. by the description it gives a -4 dice pool mod on detection tests, and i think thats a similar effect to what is the main reason for wanting to use a MHD drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012