Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting for an experiment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Havok
Dude, this looks cool. Its tight that you can to renders of the various characters.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Tobias @ Apr 4 2008, 01:03 AM) *
Sorry about the inactivity, not been able to access internet at home, and work has been busy so not being able to post from there. Will throw something up later today hopefully in the next hour or 2 depending on the call queues.

Haha, look who you're talking to. My access is super-spotty because my job goes from "all the time in the world" to "OMG short lunch and overtime" without any warning.
Tobias
lol yeah, thanks for the consideration. My entire department has been told "your probaly going to be redundant in 90 days have fun with that." Nevermind, should be okay after this week as I'll be more active online at home when its back up and running.
Cthulhudreams
Ouch, that is a kick in the teeth. Start job hunting now. :\
Tobias
Yeah I have been doing, we've had murmerings of it for a while so its not that big a shock but still *shrugs*
Fuchs
Carroway "appearing" at the meeting
JonathanC
Okay, does anybody have any outstanding datasearches/other stuff that I need to fulfill?
Cthulhudreams
i had some outstanding astral lookie lou that I did in posts, if I could pick up that info it would be great.
Fuchs
(If anyone is assensing DD, she seems serious and honestly puzzled at the reaction she got nyahnyah.gif. Ah, funny scene. smile.gif )
Tobias
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 6 2008, 08:14 PM) *
Okay, does anybody have any outstanding datasearches/other stuff that I need to fulfill?

Just my astral recon.
Cthulhudreams
I </3 the dysfunction wink.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Tobias @ Apr 7 2008, 01:26 AM) *
Just my astral recon.

I'm sorry, could you PM me what you were looking for, or give me a link to the post?
Glyph
Should have done this earlier. Knowledge skill check to see how much about P2.0 Dancer "remembers". She is also kind of watching to see how the group sides on the issue, currently leaning towards Dagda's POV (if it's how things are done, they still need to do an extremely edited version).

[ Spoiler ]
JonathanC
Remembers? I'm pretty sure descriptions of P2.0 are easy to come by. If Dancer is active on the Matrix in L.A. at all, it's pretty ubiquitous. Even if you aren't "in" as a member, a lot of the live blogs are openly available...in fact, the number of blog subscribers you have affects your P2.0 score.

If she's pretty casual about it, she'd "remember" that there are quite a few feeds of Shadowruns, often with the runners wearing flashy outfits or other things to obscure their identities, while also giving them more "character". Tape delays are also commonplace.
Sir_Psycho
I don't have Corp Enclaves, so I'm not really sure what myspa- I mean, p2.0 is.

Could you put up a description of what blackie might know in here? I assume it would be using my Journalism (Photojournalism) 3 (+2) + Intuition 5. If not, I could always run a data search.
Fuchs
As far as I understand it, most L.A. runners do their runs as a sort of reality trid show, and a runner's rep is based on their P2.0 rating, which can be likened to their popularity on a 2070 facebook equivalent. Some teams sell live feeds (with a 30 seconds safety delay) to subscribers to their website.

Or, as a jackpoint member said (paraphrasing) "They've got to be kidding! Please, tell me they are kidding!"
JonathanC
Well, that's basically it. The basic info on P2.0 is freely available, because Horizon is drowning L.A. in marketing for it...rolling a know skill for it is like rolling a know skill these days to remember what an iPod is. It's basically MySpace + Celeb-Reality shows + Twitter (a site that lets you post updates on your life from your cell phone, so it's literally up to the minute). You don't have to be a P2.0 member to view liveblogs, unless it's a locked posting.

It's exclusive, and the only way in is via an invite from a member. Members have a limited number of invites. Also, staying in P2.0 requires you to keep a score above a certain level. The score is based on how many people you have "friended", how important those people are (with importance measured in degrees of separation from Horizon's CEO), and how many people subscribe to your live blog. Your live blog is just what it sounds like...constantly updated, with info/feeds from your simsense, cybereyes/ears, or whatever. Grant, the adult trid star from the party, was on P2.0, and his live blog carried video/audio feeds of his experiences there. He's like an x-rated Truman Show.
JonathanC
OOC for DD: You can find a manufacturer who makes vials like that without a roll. They're pretty standard vials, so they're made by a lot of companies. Also, there are likely to be empty vials on-site.
Sir_Psycho
JohnC, could you do me/us a sketch of the floorplans that I pulled and post them on photobucket/imageshack etc.?

Also, mainly for fluff; Could I get some fluffy names for Franklin Yu's Golf Tourney and some of his sex-profile nodes?

And PS. The antagonistic diatribes and "secret thoughts" in italics are hilarious.
Fuchs
DD's perception check to check Blackie:

[ Spoiler ]
Fuchs
DD's checking the profile of Kate's target, trying to find out whether he prefers the point of view of a spectator or performer for simsense recordings of Kate.
JonathanC
Fair warning: I've got a thick schedule for the end of this week, so I'm not going to be doing a lot of posting until the weekend. Sorry for any delays this causes, but I've got work and job interviews.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 23 2008, 01:27 AM) *
DD's checking the profile of Kate's target, trying to find out whether he prefers the point of view of a spectator or performer for simsense recordings of Kate.

It's not something stated directly in his profile, but you might be able to extrapolate his preferences based on his profile info using a related Knowledge skill (probably psychology). A standard setup for spectators is to watch the performance while hooked into the tactile simsense of the performer.
Glyph
Dancer will also either check the doc's profile or ask DD or Blackie about it, but she will be more concerned with the doc's specific tastes/kinks - she wants more of an idea what general type of "entertainment" he prefers.
JonathanC
If we're talking about his interest in performance art, well...it's not a euphmism for live sex shows, he actually enjoys performance art. Contortionists, Cirque de Soleil style stuff...his profile has a lot of stuff about appreciation of human form, anatomy, and physiology. He probably isn't immune to sex appeal, but his interest in performance art lies in the avante gard.
Glyph
Bwahaha!! It'll be funny when Dancer gets the profile information from Blackie. "Change of plans, DD..." Fortunately, Dancer does have a pretty good gymnastics/dancing skill.
Fuchs
DD: "How... kinky." nyahnyah.gif
Sir_Psycho
Sorry guys, I somehow forgot completely about this game. Do you want me to come back in from my cigarette now, or should I wait until JohnC gives me some more info?

Your choice.
Fuchs
Well, the info JohnC gave on page 7, last post, should be enough for Kate's target.
Glyph
Yeah, Dancer PMed Blackie asking for the basic profile on the doc, which is all we really need at this point.
Fuchs
I was wondering if the "Labels" for the vials are actual paper/pastic labels, or just RIFD tags. If they are actual dead tree or dead dinosaur labels, are they handwritten, or printed?
JonathanC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ May 6 2008, 07:10 AM) *
I was wondering if the "Labels" for the vials are actual paper/pastic labels, or just RIFD tags. If they are actual dead tree or dead dinosaur labels, are they handwritten, or printed?

Both. People can't (naturally) read RFID tags, but obviously those tags are much easier for a machine or a person using AR to read. AR is omnipresent, but I don't think the medical industry would put all of their eggs in that basket so quickly, so they would still use "old fashioned" labelling techniques to ensure that the vials could be read even if there was a Matrix outage or for whatever reason the technicians/doctors weren't using AR.
JonathanC
I feel like I should be doing more, but I don't know of what real use I can be IC while the group is plotting. I guess I'll just have to come up with some more cunning traps.

Uh, I mean, more fascinating characters and awesome loot for all of you guys. Yeah, that's what I meant. smile.gif
Fuchs
Oh, we'll split up soon and pursue our different charges nyahnyah.gif
Cthulhudreams
Yeah, I reckon that in about 10 seconds we'll be pulling in 11 directions at once and then you're on the hotspot wink.gif
Fuchs
Since it'll be relevant in the near future, here's some matrix stuff posted in advance:

DD is checking the profiles of the Harris family and Doctor Yu to find out what exactly would appeal most to them, and how best to "coincidentally" catch their attention (for herself and Carroway (Harris), and Dancer (Yu) respectively.)

DD's also scouring the net for more details of those vials, and the labels, checking press releases as well as court press recordings, in case they were used in court before, and homepages of people mentioning that they have some blood stored there.

DD's further searching the net for information on the security on the target compound (I don't expect much new if any from that, but she'll do it anyway.)

For the extended tests for those searches (JonathanC can roll for them, if that's ok):
Browse 5 + Data Search 3 + 2 (Running VR)= 10 dice

Actual probing the security will be done later, depending on Blackie.
Cthulhudreams
Lets wind up this meeting and get going with the moded to do list, we have the matrix to have 'virtual meetings' later, and I bet the plan will go up in flames / fail as time goes by, so lets get cracking and see what we do. I'm going to IC post to that effect.
Sir_Psycho
Blackie: Browse 4 + Data Search 3 + 2vr = 9 dice.

Blackie's hitting the sattelite and aerial drone (hello renraku stormclouds) images he can find, for an impression of the surrounding buildings, access points and the like.

He also wants to cross-reference this data with any information on the surrounding businesses, whether they're residences, businesses, etc. and any information that might prove useful in creating an impression of the area.

Blackie might head to a cafe and go VR for all this. He might hit Franklin Yu's profiles, maybe even indulging in some hacking, if need be, to find out what sort of profiles he rates highly and why.

I'll have more plansand instructions once I get details back on that, and when the sun sets. Then he'll be heading back to his apartment (after spoofing his data trail) and re-equip himself.
Tobias
Sorry about this, I forgot to say I'm leaving tonight for italy for a week and a bit. Will try and get something thrown up today before I go.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ May 8 2008, 04:56 AM) *
Blackie: Browse 4 + Data Search 3 + 2vr = 9 dice.

Blackie's hitting the sattelite and aerial drone (hello renraku stormclouds) images he can find, for an impression of the surrounding buildings, access points and the like.

Do you want to hack these drones, or are you just data searching for any public domain images they've taken lately?
JonathanC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ May 7 2008, 02:59 AM) *
Since it'll be relevant in the near future, here's some matrix stuff posted in advance:

DD is checking the profiles of the Harris family and Doctor Yu to find out what exactly would appeal most to them, and how best to "coincidentally" catch their attention (for herself and Carroway (Harris), and Dancer (Yu) respectively.)

DD's also scouring the net for more details of those vials, and the labels, checking press releases as well as court press recordings, in case they were used in court before, and homepages of people mentioning that they have some blood stored there.

DD's further searching the net for information on the security on the target compound (I don't expect much new if any from that, but she'll do it anyway.)

For the extended tests for those searches (JonathanC can roll for them, if that's ok):
Browse 5 + Data Search 3 + 2 (Running VR)= 10 dice

Actual probing the security will be done later, depending on Blackie.

Look for results on this tomorrow; I'm going to try and get through all of it tonight after work. Would you prefer a PM or just an OOC post here?
Fuchs
Either way works.
Sir_Psycho
No hacking yet, just data searching.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ May 10 2008, 01:31 AM) *
No hacking yet, just data searching.
Ah, that's easy enough then. I'm not sure about how many access points would appear on a satellite photo, as they're top-down, but as described earlier, the area is mostly residential. There are a few other businesses near the building, chiefly a cafe and a delicatessen. Looks like there are front and back entrances, and windows, of course. Like all buildings, it has roof access, but obviously there's no way to tell how any of these things are secured from the satellite photos. It's just a building on the street, not really on its own campus or anything like that. No patrolling dogs.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ May 7 2008, 02:59 AM) *

Franklin Yu, besides being a self-professed "patron of the arts" generally seems to view and carry himself as a sort of modern gentleman. Besides the golf tournament this weekend, he attends parties aimed at wealthy men like himself (think of the playboy mansion parties). Fine, expensive spirits and wine, high-quality, non-soy foods, foreign/art films, etc. His profile comments suggest a man who knows how to show a young lady a good time, but the sheer number of ladies suggests that he has little intent of settling down with the pretty young women he's been dating. Perhaps he's looking for sophisticated woman to match his intellect? Failing that, a starry-eyed, easily impressed young ingenue is likely to keep his attention for at least an evening.

Harris and his wife are swingers. Youth culture appeals to them, and you've likely seen their type in your previous "business". They're either trying to recapture their youth, or they honestly just never really matured past the days of wild partying and nightly physical encounters. Their "private" profile photos (not that hard to hack; one has to assume that his corp knows and doesn't care, or is sitting on this for blackmail later on) look like a frat party featuring two adults. They obviously work out. Things that appeal to them: kink, booze, anything the "kids" are into these days (Goblin rock, for example)

You come up kinda empty for people announcing where their blood samples are kept, I'm afraid. You can find enough photos of the vials to make a reasonable fascimile of the label (with a forgery roll, of course).

Not much to add here. Security guard behind a desk in the lobby is about all that's obvious from your searches. Presumably there are cameras.
Sir_Psycho
Are any of the next-door buildings similar in height to the target building, and do they have roof access via sattelite? Also, I imagine fire-escapes would appear on sattelite.

Blackie is going to throw some armour at his place and then go to the cafe. What rolls would I make to look for relevant sensors in the area. Eg. Aerial drones, rooftop traffic cameras, etc?
Glyph
Let me know if you need any rolls from Dancer, but she's looking for much more mundane information. She's basically going to scan through the trid channels and matrix feeds, and maybe go to a few places, to get a feel for what kind of dances are hot in L.A. right now, especially the "artistic" ones.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ May 10 2008, 07:59 PM) *
Are any of the next-door buildings similar in height to the target building, and do they have roof access via sattelite? Also, I imagine fire-escapes would appear on sattelite.

Blackie is going to throw some armour at his place and then go to the cafe. What rolls would I make to look for relevant sensors in the area. Eg. Aerial drones, rooftop traffic cameras, etc?

If you're looking for sensors, etc. with your naked eyes, you'd be using perception, plus any bonuses from vision mods. The medical building is surrounded by residential homes, so nothing next to it is of the same height. It does have a fire escape. Since most of the houses are single/two floors, they don't have like stairs leading up to the roof, since you can just use a ladder.

As for Dancer's research, I don't think there's a roll for getting acclimated to the local dance scene.
Sir_Psycho
Data Search + Appropriate Knowledge skill? Maybe those can be complementary (/2) hits on her etiquette tests relating to the subject?
JonathanC
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ May 10 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Data Search + Appropriate Knowledge skill? Maybe those can be complementary (/2) hits on her etiquette tests relating to the subject?
Well...if you want the complimentary hits, I'd say something like a Intuition = Knowledge skill roll would work, since you're drawing on previous experience, plus a recent immersion in LA's dance culture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012