Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting for an experiment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Glyph
Just want to mention I'll be moving into a new place this Friday/Saturday, so there is a possibility it will take a while to get my internet set up there.
Fuchs
Tobias is absent for a week, so it'll be mostly DD and Kate at the meeting. We can assume Carroway is doing some legwork meanwhile, or astral work?
Glyph
Sounds like a good way to handle it.
Glyph
Yeah! I finally get to use her mad dancing skillz again!

[6,2,4,3,5,1,5,5,5,3,2,6,1,5,1,3,6,5] = (9)
Fuchs
And a very impressive roll - if the thing goes out we'll have to watch from extraction attempts by media corps nyahnyah.gif.
Fuchs
(Just added that since in my pen and paper campaign, back with SR3, some runners starred in a simsense flick in their "civil personas", and since they spent a lot of karma for the "acting rolls" to do well, they ended up "extracted" by a rival media corp. nyahnyah.gif )
Cthulhudreams
That would be funny ;P
JonathanC
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 11 2008, 11:41 PM) *
Just want to mention I'll be moving into a new place this Friday/Saturday, so there is a possibility it will take a while to get my internet set up there.

No problem. On a similar note, I'll be changing jobs in two weeks, and I won't have as much daytime net access at the new gig, at least at first. I'll be doing more evening updates.
Glyph
This roll is for Dancer's second demo, in Dagda's back yard.

[1,1,6,4,5,4,6,3,2,6,6,5,1,6,5,4,3,6] = (9)

Wow, two good ones in a row! love.gif

I'll hold off on posting the next day demo until I see if Cthulhudreams has Dagda ask any questions, ask to see the demo, etc.
Fuchs
(I'll wait with posting on "second day" until I know if Dagda survives his infiltration run nyahnyah.gif). I'll do filler posts in the meantime.
Cthulhudreams
Pfft. I am awesome, there is absolutely no risk of us completely cocking it up and accidently blowing up half the district in a poor orchestraed escape attempt.

Er...

Yeah, thinking about it. wink.gif

But I don;t think we are actually going inside, so risk is low. I am wondering what to do about the timeline problem myself though.
Fuchs
Which is why I have DD just going out for the night, still on day 1 - I can do filler posts that way (and DD is available in case someone needs matrix support)
Glyph
Okay, I've edited my post to take out the day two stuff - hopefully that should keep a timeline problem from happening.
Fuchs
Any update on the scouting job?
Cthulhudreams
I was kinda waiting for Psycho/blackie to kick in something as I'm supposed to be working with him on it.
Glyph
Okay, finally got internet set up at my new place. Guess I'll do filler posts, like Fuchs, until we get the results from the infiltration outing.
Cthulhudreams
Should I just go with the inflitration thing?
Fuchs
Did anyone send Sir_Psycho a PM?
Sir_Psycho
I'm back, I'll type something up tomorrow from the school computers.
Sir_Psycho
I'm just going to say thankyou to JohnC for the waitress message. the whole "translation" gag actually gave me a chuckle there. It even brightened blackie's mood.

Also, I want to make some tests. Probably an observe in detail, and a sniffer test to find any nearby drones/cameras/sensors etc.
Fuchs
DD will be checking if anyone on the staff has a live feed going.

[ Spoiler ]
JonathanC
Just as a fair warning, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to do much daytime posting at my new job. I will, however, strive to be more diligent in checking/responding during the evenings. I'm aware that this is moving a bit slow for the average around here, and I accept responsibility for that. That's why this was an "experiment"...I'm trying to get better at PBP GMing. Again, thanks to everyone for their patience. And feel free to PM me if I need prodding on something.
Cthulhudreams
He,y it's just a suit wink.gif

@Jon: Thats cool man.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ May 29 2008, 09:22 AM) *

It's a blood testing facility...snoresville. Sorry, no livefeeds. frown.gif
Glyph
Dancer's etiquette roll:

[ Spoiler ]
Fuchs
DD's search for "Shadowy clubs", aka clubs where the guests are or pose as shadowrunners - in case she needs to do some decking from a remote location.

[ Spoiler ]
Cthulhudreams
I think blackie and I need a gentle shove at this junction, just some infomation on the facility - we are sitting near it, so we can figure out where to get started.
Fuchs
DD could use an answer whether or not she's expected on site, or supporting the operation from afar.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 3 2008, 07:10 PM) *
I think blackie and I need a gentle shove at this junction, just some infomation on the facility - we are sitting near it, so we can figure out where to get started.

Sure. My understanding of the plan so far is that you've got two teams trying to infiltrate some of the management staff to find a way in, and you two guys are looking for a more physical route, correct?

I remember the group looking for live feeds from people inside, as well as possible security drones on the building. There are no drones patrolling outside, as the only thing of interest inside are biological samples. As for gentle prodding, I imagine someone like Dagda would think of the following as their easiest options:

1. Find an inside man. Dagda knows a fairly well connected fixer, who could probably point him towards a stoolie for a finder's fee. Failing that, it wouldn't be hard to observe the comings and goings from the building to locate an employee.

2. While super recent building plans look to be a bit of work to acquire, the ones you have might yield some information regarding underground access.

3. While the samples themselves are secured, the building itself is just a medical testing office. You could probably get at least as far as the receptionist's desk with little more than a decent outfit and cool nerves.

Glyph
Once the outside recon is done and we get to the next day, I had already planned to have Dancer talk to Dagda and DD after her second set of recordings. If we go with the "rising star" angle for Dancer, she could have a legitimate reason to be curious about the blood testing facility, since a lot of stars seem to use it. She could get a basic overview of their internal security, at least.

As far as suborning the doctors goes, it will garner the team some biometric samples, and DD might be able to plant a bug or a tracer, but likely not much else - not in a timetable of a week to do the job. Although there is a chance they will let some tidbit of information slip.
Sir_Psycho
Sorry I haven't been responding lately. I blacked out in a shower and cracked my head on a fitting. Had some problems with my short term memory, comprehension, focus, etc. and then I spent the weekend at my girlfriend's place, so that further precluded posting.

As for the legwork we're doing, I'm a bit apprehensive. I'd like to get something helpful done, but I can't think of anyone that doesn't have a disproportinately high risk (and low yield). Anyone got any OOC suggestions?
Glyph
Damn, that sounds bad. Hope you're on the mend.

JonathanC has given some hints.

For this night, maybe you and Dagda, frustrated by the lack of drones or P2.0 feeds, look at the building plans again, and think about the possibility of underground access. They don't have to wind up accomplishing a lot beyond finding out a possibility or two and doing some brainstorming. The game will probably wind up going faster when we all get to the next day, time-wise.

His first suggestion, using a stool pigeon or directly bribing/threatening/interrogating an employee, might render Dancer and DD/Carroway's social engineering efforts unnecessary, but as I said earlier, it would have been of limited use for a run we're trying to get done in a week, anyways.

For maximum annoyance, they could wait until Dancer finishes the second dance/nude modelling set to say "By the way, we've decided on a more direct approach to getting some inside information, so don't bother with the doctors." rotfl.gif

They still have other stuff they can do (hacking/magic/muscle), and once we get to the next day, Dancer/DD/Carroway would all have legit reasons to show interest in this place, since it does blood testing for stars, and all of them are at least wannabe stars in fields not directly related to shadowrunning. So they could do the "get as far as the receptionist's desk" part.
Sir_Psycho
Ok, I'll check with Cthulhu and Fuchs on this before suggesting it IC. I'm thinking of hitting the nearest sewer access and having a look at what an underground infiltration will take, whether there's a lock of some sort, or a grate that will need to be removed, or if there is a wall that will need to be breached. If I get a look, then I'll know what to expect and what equipment to bring when I actually go in.

I'm thinking that I'll do the physical legwork, Dagda can precede me astrally and periodically buzz my commlink with updates (don't want to run into swarms of mutated sewer rats.) If DD isn't busy, she can pull up a sewer map and cross-reference it with our schematics of the Caduceus Pasadena facility, and guide me through. If she's busy, or you want to do something else, then I can do the matrixwork myself (Blackie's my first character, so I haven't properly optimized and min-maxed his abilities - especially in hacking).

Sound good?
Fuchs
DD's just waiting on a response from Dagda or Blackie, she asked if she was needed on site, or if this was a remote job.
Sir_Psycho
It'll be remote, but I'll wait for Cthulhu to respond here before I write my next IC.
Cthulhudreams
You're on. Propose the plan and start moving.
Glyph
*Bump*
Cthulhudreams
Pooossttttt IIICCCCCC ;P
JonathanC
Who are we waiting on, at this point? Have we lost anyone?
Fuchs
Sir_Psycho said he posted, but I think his post got eaten or lost.
Sir_Psycho
Posted again. Hopefully not eaten.

It's a crap post, but it's succinct and moves the game along.

Also, Johnathan, I'm going to want to make a perception test, looking for a good sewer entrance that is away from prying eyes and as close to the facility as possible. (I'll be walking around to do this)

Sight:
Perception 2 + Intuition 5 + Enhanced Vision 2 = 9d6.hits(5) → [3,1,4,1,4,5,6,3,1] = (2)
Visual perception. (9d6.hits(5)=2)

Smell: Perception 2 + Intuition 5 + Olfactory Booster 3 = 10d6.hits(5) → [6,3,4,3,1,3,4,5,6,1] = (3)
Olfactory Perception. (10d6.hits(5)=3)

JonathanC
You easily find a sewer entrance that fits those needs. Around the corner and down the street there is a curbside sewer grate. It's reasonably loose, and the system that alerts the water company when the grating is loose seems simple enough to defeat. It's a quiet residential street without a lot of foot traffic, and late at night it seems unlikely that you'd catch much attention from people in the area.
Fuchs
DD's search for sewer maps:

[ Spoiler ]
Sir_Psycho
So no Stealth roll required?

Anything you need from me?
Fuchs
DD will contact Blackie with some requests as soon as she gets the sewer maps and starts matrix overwatch.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jun 22 2008, 04:47 AM) *
So no Stealth roll required?

Anything you need from me?

Nope. You're not in downtown L.A. This is mostly a residential neighborhood, and not an area well-known for celebrities or high-value corp targets...in other words, the news drones that would normally be around looking for potential shadowrunners, celebrity shenanigans, or anything else are all busy someplace else. As long as you aren't loudly announcing yourself, of dragging an army in behind you, I don't think the difficulty of 'sneaking' into the sewer warrants a roll, particularly not from someone who sneaks as part of their living. smile.gif

DD

LA's VR iconography is...different, for sure. Leaving your physical body behind, you load your persona and leave the comfort of your PAN. The club's VR is nearly as active as the club itself. On the surface are the virtual clubbers, people logging in from various "sister clubs" linked to this one. But DD can see more...shadows in the background, moving about, talking, exchanging...something. She knows that if she wanted to she could focus her vision, and bring those shadows into the light of her vision, but she doesn't have the time, or the interest, and little good every comes of sticking your nose into such things.

Bouncing around the LA matrix, she passes by drones, matrix Agents forever searching the matrix for juicy gossip, and boring, workhorse programs that keep the city going. Faster than most people can think, she shuffles through thousands of city records and maps until she find what she's looking for: a section of sewer tunnels running beneath the target building.
Sir_Psycho
So could I get a description post for the sewer to base my next IC on? Do you need me to make any rolls before you lay down a description?
Glyph
Okay, so we've found a potential way into the building. I think we just need a post from Sir_Psycho to wrap the scene up now? Not sure who we're waiting for.
Fuchs
Sir_Psycho I think.
Glyph
I think you scared him off when you asked him for the shower scene.

Either that, or he's trying to get it juuust right. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012