Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Immunity does not make immune
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Dec 23 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Dakka... exactly, it says it's treated "as normal armor." Normal armor does not stack... It nowhere says this 'normal armor' is cumulative w/ any other type of armor. EVERY and I mean EVERY source of stacking armor has that cumulative phrase in it. (I know I looked, when I was taken to task on this... trying to disprove the counter-argument. I couldn't disprove it.

I tried my search fu, but the original thread where I was taken to task on this is lost in the pre-crash time as best I can tell. Believe me, I originally argued the same thing...
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...armor++stacking

The hinging phrase, is 'as normal armor'...

Quite frankly, this makes a lot of sense, and if you think 4 points hardened from a drake is bad... tray dealing with 16 points on a possession mage... who then is wearing obscene amounts thanks to his +8 body score... (good for 16 points more of worn armor!). It's ludicrously easy to get armors up into the 40's (not including body)... if you do not apply the stacking limitation. This is quite often one of the biggest problems I've run into.

Once I viewed it in those terms, then it started to make a lot more sense... and made things much more sane. It also avoided one of the biggest problems in games doesn't come from powergaming, but from disparity. EG: the only way I have a prayer of denting this thing is to hit it with something that is guaranteed to one shot kill any other player. Now once you've brought said weapon onto the field... you need to A. keep it out of players hands and B. how do you justify not turning it on the other players once it's present. (I don't believe in using kid gloves)

And if you think keeping it out of their hands is trivial... you're channeling yourself... just order something like a force 6 bound/summoned spirit to possess the street sam which is packing it... now you got two problems. Street sam is possessed... you see how this starts to go...

But at that point, Intrinsic Armor (The armor that is natural to the body, or applied permanently to the body) ALWAYS stacks... just like a trolls armor, or a dermal sheath, or even mystic armor... they always add to your armor total, so why would not the Natural Armor of the critter do the same thing?

Just Curious, I remember the length of the last argument, but not really the specifics... and please do not think that I am an advocate of armor in the 40's... I am not, just wanting to be somewhat clear on the issue is all...

Keep the Faith
Falconer
Incorrect Tymeaus... 'intrinsic' armor will always be from one of two sources. Well 3 if you include cyber/bio.

It will either be magical in nature adept, Mystic armor (editor should be shot for giving a critter power of same name!), all magical sources (spell, adept power, etc..) lists cumulative with. The only one which doesn't is ItNW.

It will be natural armor as per the critter power. (see troll). Again specifically says it's cumulative.

It will be cyber/bio... again each individual piece state that they're cumulative.

The only one again which lacks cumulative wording is immunity.

In a way Shadowrun 'immunity' kind of reminds me of Flame of Rekka (Rekka no Honou)... where the 'hottest' flame master can burn a lesser flame master. So while it's probably poorly named, if you take it that way, the use of hardened style effects makes sense.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Dec 23 2009, 06:30 PM) *
Incorrect Tymeaus... 'intrinsic' armor will always be from one of two sources. Well 3 if you include cyber/bio.

It will either be magical in nature adept, Mystic armor (editor should be shot for giving a critter power of same name!), all magical sources (spell, adept power, etc..) lists cumulative with. The only one which doesn't is ItNW.

It will be natural armor as per the critter power. (see troll). Again specifically says it's cumulative.

It will be cyber/bio... again each individual piece state that they're cumulative.

The only one again which lacks cumulative wording is immunity.

In a way Shadowrun 'immunity' kind of reminds me of Flame of Rekka (Rekka no Honou)... where the 'hottest' flame master can burn a lesser flame master. So while it's probably poorly named, if you take it that way, the use of hardened style effects makes sense.

Hmmmm, I always assumed that the indication to treat it as normal armor would have handled the confusion (treat as natural, like a troll)... but hey... works for me I guess... we have never had the need to distinguish such things at our table, but at least I have a somewhat solid baseline to present if it does become an issue...

Keep the Faith
Falconer
Small point... a trolls natural armor is not 'normal armor', it's 'natural armor'. In fact considering trolls are one of the very few metas to get it... it's almost 'abnormal' armor ;).

The trolls armor is from natural keratin deposits or the like... how is it different than say the Rhino in running wild... w/ the armor (2/4) quality also giving it 'natural armor'.

Once you categorize the armor sources, things fall into place very quickly.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Dec 23 2009, 06:49 PM) *
Small point... a trolls natural armor is not 'normal armor', it's 'natural armor'. In fact considering trolls are one of the very few metas to get it... it's almost 'abnormal' armor wink.gif.

The trolls armor is from natural keratin deposits or the like... how is it different than say the Rhino in running wild... w/ the armor (2/4) quality also giving it 'natural armor'.

Once you categorize the armor sources, things fall into place very quickly.

Cool, works for me, was just wondering a bit, as it is somewhat confusing at times...

Keep the Faith
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 23 2009, 07:28 PM) *
If the property named "armor power" is the adept power, which unfortunately is named Mystic Armor as well, then he can soak more dangerous astral Attacks with WIL+8 +/- AP dice. Should it be the armor spell, this does nothing against astral attacks.

Uh. Adept Mystic Armor doesn't work like that (I called it the "armor power" to avoid confusion with the critter power of the same name).

Mystic Armor
Cost: .5 per level
This power magically toughens your skin to resist the effects
of damage. Each level provides you with 1 point of armor
(that counts as both Ballistic and Impact) that is cumulative
with any worn armor. Mystic Armor also protects against damage
done in astral combat (p. 184).

So a drake adept with 4 points of Adept Mystic Armor in dracofrom has 8/8 Balistic/Impact. Unless Mystic Armor isn't cumulative with the drake's innate Hardened Armor.

If he gets shot with an attack that does 7P damage, does he roll dice? If so, how many? And which track is the damage applied to?
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Falconer @ Dec 23 2009, 11:31 PM) *
As for magical ammo... no it doesn't work like that. Some mage somewhere is going to need to enchant it (and spend either ritual materials or karma to do it). Doing so is going to leave his astral fingerprint all over it. Any ammo he produces could be used as a ritual link to him. Even putting a magical barrier on bullets can have some fun theoretical effects but it's still a very risky move for the mage. (the ammo wouldn't be able to go through a barrier for one w/o taking it down). Rather than further extending this thread, there was one a short time ago where the possibility of a fireball bullet and the like was brought up (anchoring)...

And a lot of the examples given are of dual-natured critters, not things that a mage has enchanted.

Manatech usually involves some Awakened plants; so do Awakened drugs. They don't link back to a mage. Why must manabullets?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 24 2009, 05:07 AM) *
Uh. Adept Mystic Armor doesn't work like that (I called it the "armor power" to avoid confusion with the critter power of the same name).
As you quoted yourself, the Adept Armor protects against astral attacks as well. Thus the drake has a resistance pool of WIL+4(Hardened Mystic Armor)+4(Adept Armor) +/-AP in astral combat. Astral Attacks up to 4P/S bounce off and anything above that is resisted with the aforementioned pool.

So a drake adept with 4 points of Adept Mystic Armor in dracofrom has 8/8 Balistic/Impact. Unless Mystic Armor isn't cumulative with the drake's innate Hardened Armor.
That's exactly what I wrote. Though the distinction between ballistic and impact armor is moot on the astral plane since there are no ranged attacks.

If he gets shot with an attack that does 7P damage, does he roll dice? If so, how many? And which track is the damage applied to?
Yes, he has to roll, because the damage exceeds his hardened armor. He rolls BOD/WIL+8+/-AP, depending on whether you are talking about an astral or a physical attack, and the damage is converted to Stun because the damage does not exceed his Armor value. With AP -2 it would have been Physical damage.
Falconer
Yeah, Dakka has it correct... please note what you quoted on the 'adept mystic armor' power. It is 'cumulative with worn armor'. So if you treat the hardened armor as worn armor... it's cumulative with it. This is also where I get the stacking clause... IF it's "cumulative with WORN ARMOR" (and you're treating the hardened as worn armor), then worn armor does not stack with other worn armor, only apply the higher total.

The hardened armor damage threshhold doesn't change... just the amount of resistance dice you roll on the test... if you need to resist.

EG: a normal character w/o any hardened component would either resist 1-8stun, or 9+ physical. But a drake can only resist 5-8stun, or 9+ physical due to the hardened armor & adept mystic armor.

Most critters have natural armor which is cumulative with worn armor... most things start with 0/0 worn armor... so adding things to the worn armor total makes it simple. In the above example... if you put 2/2 armored clothing on the drake it wouldn't have an effect (4/4 hardened is greater than 2/2 clothes), however if you had the equivalent of a dragon trenchcoat crafted, it would change your damage profile accordingly... (12/10 armor, 4 points hardened... EG: you will either resist 5-12 points of stun, or 13+ physical ballistic track).

If AP is involved... you apply it against both tests (the hardened test, and the armor resistance test)... EG: -2 AP means you lose 2 points of armor total, and the hardened armor protection would be considered reduced by 2 as well for the damage threshhold (EG: they now need to do 3 or more damage rather than 5 or more damage). The hardened armors test is special and doesn't involve any other types of armor.

This is a little of a sidenote.. drakes are a bit less powerful than they were in previous editions. However, they've also lost their automatic hunted negative qualities and the like. They're no longer as big of a deal. They did this because the devs stated they wanted drakes to be playable characters in this edition, and not drag the rest of the party into their problems while not having them as overpowering as they were in the past. I'd love to link the thread.. but it's another one that is pre-crash. (sad isn't it that dumpshock has had it's own crash). Lets put it this way, how would you like it if someone you were playing with had brought down a hunted/enemy (great dragons) quality on the group... it tends to sidetrack the game badly...
Violence Jack
I've seen the past few pages, and thought I would add my 2 cents.

The way I think it works is like how water effects a person. A normal person can stand in knee high water as long as they want, so they have an immunity to it, but if a large wave comes by, it can throw him around, and hurt him. The more "immune" the person is, the less the wave will effect him, until the person can just brush off the wave.

Same goes to fire.

Also, I don't know how fire works on armor, but does it burn it off, and make it useless to all subsiquent hits, because it's scorced? Maybe that effect would be negated by the imunity, even tho that the physical damage to a person may splash through because the "immunity" wasn't high enough.

Just an idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012