Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Neptune's Realm - OOC thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Minchandre
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 22 2010, 07:16 PM) *
No reason. I had to pick colors and decided to go for a solid sequence for once.

I bet all the other kids make fun of cyan cyan cyan army. I wonder what animal totem that would go with?
Penta
None. On the MOO I play on, it's the color code for launchies.smile.gif
Faraday
Yeah, as other people have noted, Roger is an actual MD with 21 first aid and 19 medical dice (assuming a rating 6 medkit). Nurses and assistants are always appreciated, however. And I agree with Michandre that Cherry and Roger would basically cooperate on comms and intel as the super Hacker/EW team of doom.

If you want each person to have independent operation in an official sense, I would list Cherry as Comms and Roger as Intel officer. They'll each probably take the courses for both, though, and get a feel for working with each other on the matrix and on the airwaves.
Digital Heroin
Alrighty, Roger's got the MO title... I missed/spaced on that bit. Not any hope I think anyone's going to top that world class surgery, eh? nyahnyah.gif

As for the list, I figure it that those are titles in name as much as anything. While they might not suit everything the character can do, they represent a role they can do, and that'll be their field if there's need to be all formal. Chances are, though, that once they depart Jersey, Salt's going to say 'fuck formal, we're supposed to look like pirates` and if someone can help with a job, they're more than welcome, and encouraged, to lend that hand. He himself could easily have been diving/boarding/engineer aside from CO, and not done bad at any of them.
The Goon
Penta,

Sorry to post here but I'm not able to PM yet.

I hear you might be recruiting and would like to throw my hat in the ring.

Penta
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jun 23 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Alrighty, Roger's got the MO title... I missed/spaced on that bit. Not any hope I think anyone's going to top that world class surgery, eh? nyahnyah.gif

As for the list, I figure it that those are titles in name as much as anything. While they might not suit everything the character can do, they represent a role they can do, and that'll be their field if there's need to be all formal. Chances are, though, that once they depart Jersey, Salt's going to say 'fuck formal, we're supposed to look like pirates` and if someone can help with a job, they're more than welcome, and encouraged, to lend that hand. He himself could easily have been diving/boarding/engineer aside from CO, and not done bad at any of them.

For the record: Except for the training phase and the elected positions, your GM (and your employer ICly) doesn't care how you guys organize. I created the slots basically to keep training sane.smile.gif
Dumori
I suggest we use the training time to set up some standing protocols. For set actions. I.E when boarding what's the normal MO ect. For example I can see right now Sharky and Eddie are likely to be the lead in an assault. If only cos of our combined powers of perception. What do we do with prisoners/hostages? As well as any other issues that are likely to come up regularly.
Penta
QUOTE (The Goon @ Jun 23 2010, 07:17 AM) *
Penta,

Sorry to post here but I'm not able to PM yet.

I hear you might be recruiting and would like to throw my hat in the ring.

Replied to off-thread - I recommend editing out your email address.

This makes either person 10 or 11, I've lost track...I'm not going above 12 without an assistant GM to help me with the crunch (and, to be totally frank, help with the cat-herding that's an inevitable part of GMing), and I'm keeping a slot open for Grinder (since he already knocked, and I think has a character sheet done, it's only fair).

So this post marks when people will actually start going on the reserve list. "Activation" from the reserve list will basically be to plug holes in the group as people attrition due to the varied circumstances that inevitably effect a PBP campaign. (One which, I suppose it should be noted as we begin, has no set end-date. I mean that: I will go on with the campaign as long as people are interested and I have the time, energy, and creativity.)

I'll try to keep the first post of this thread updated with a list of players and people on reserve. I just have to compile said list and match players to characters. (Holy hell is that hard with a group this big.)

Edit: Okay, my association of characters with roles may not be perfect, but the list is up there. Grinder is included to remind me to query him occasionally re interest.
toturi
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 23 2010, 07:53 PM) *
I suggest we use the training time to set up some standing protocols. For set actions. I.E when boarding what's the normal MO ect. For example I can see right now Sharky and Eddie are likely to be the lead in an assault. If only cos of our combined powers of perception. What do we do with prisoners/hostages? As well as any other issues that are likely to come up regularly.

Eddie's SOP is to get in as close as possible steathily and then hit hard. He has no silencers on his firearms but he has a pair of shock gloves for silent takedowns.

When dealing with hostages, Eddie would shoot the hostage with a SnS and make the hostage taker either abandon his hostage or have to lug the dead weight around.
Penta
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 23 2010, 07:53 AM) *

Re prisoners/hostages: Remember what I said re "the laws and customs of war". Friendly GM tip, which I normally wouldn't give, but will because we have...Playerwise I think we're almost evenly US and non-US: Your characters would ICly, during Basic Military Skills (or the equivalent), be briefed on the UCMJ and the laws of war. (Salt and Cherry would get a deeper going-over on the topic ICly.) "laws and customs of war" is a broad way in US (and hence UCAS) military and legal parlance of referring to the Geneva Conventions and similar treaties; it may be used by other countries but I don't know offhand.

Short version: One of the quickest ways for this op to go bad for you and the UCAS is for you guys to commit war crimes. So, like, you're advised not to shoot people who surrender. If they really try to escape or something, that's another matter. But as a rule, live people are better, live people can be interrogated. (Oh, also, Cherry, your character is advised that Israel is probably watching and, well. They have not relaxed the potential penalty for war crimes. Which, OOCly, I think is death.)

OOCly I could care less, but ICly, yeah, they would care.
toturi
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 23 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Short version: One of the quickest ways for this op to go bad for you and the UCAS is for you guys to commit war crimes. So, like, you're advised not to shoot people who surrender. If they really try to escape or something, that's another matter. But as a rule, live people are better, live people can be interrogated. (Oh, also, Cherry, your character is advised that Israel is probably watching and, well. They have not relaxed the potential penalty for war crimes. Which, OOCly, I think is death.)

Can we shoot them in order to incapacitate? Like with a SnS or gel round?
Penta
Sure. But they better not be dead when you're done. I should note that they say nothing about interrogations except "Remember the mission". In your Intel Analysis quick-course, they mention the standards for interrogations intended for court (basically, though you aren't "state agents" and thus need not Mirandize, don't torture)...And then they mention the standards for military interrogations (which are a lot looser). In either case, they mention that torture is, in their considered opinion, worse than useless as an interrogation tool. (Intel officer course-takers, they go over things in way more detail. I can provide what the IO course covers via email.)

One last edit: If they die during combat, that's legally OK. All the war crimes statutes care about is after they're in custody.
Minchandre
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 23 2010, 05:53 AM) *
(Oh, also, Cherry, your character is advised that Israel is probably watching and, well. They have not relaxed the potential penalty for war crimes. Which, OOCly, I think is death.)

That law was passed with the understanding that the death penalty would only be applied to former Nazis, which it has (Adolf Eichmann). In practice, the IDF rarely persecutes war crimes internally - but then again, which military does? In fact, because Israel has the whole "Nation under siege" thing going in SR even more than IRL, I was planning on having Cherry be unusually liberal with that sort of thing - torture is okay as long as it's deemed necessary, prisoners should be field executed if you're suspicious for any reason, it's okay to fire the first shot on what appears to be a civilian if you have good intel that they're an enemy, etc. I intentionally didn't purchase any less-than-lethal ammunition or programs (though Cherry will purchase both in NJ after the rules of engagement are explained to her).

I'm also hoping to put up a training scene at some point today - honestly, I was hoping someone else would do it first so I could crib off them, but c'est la vie.

MO-wise, Cherry's going to be wanted to stay off the enemy ship, first EWing them into isolation (preferably shutting down their internal wifi as much as possible, too, to reduce their coordination) and then using the Matrix to disable and/or inconvenience the enemy. Enemy hackers are dealt with using Blackhammer.
Penta
A brief, unrelated to nothing, happydance. Yay. I finally finished statting up the OPFOR for your first mission.

I should note that the coder who does up a grunt creator would get my eternal gratitude - assembling grunts by hand sucks.

Now to make sure it, and all my other notes, sticks around until we get to there.
---

DH, feel free to post the final "who does what" to the IC thread once you have that worked out, we can then move into reactions to the sun deck scene and on with day 1.

Everybody except Edana and the others in creation (so, everybody on the Quicksilver): Please work out what your character is doing training-wise and get that to me by PM or email ASAP. No need to specify hours unless you want to. Please remember you have to cover 7 days worth of training. Once that's done I can work out who's doing what as groups (as opposed to one-on-one training), which simplifies my post-writing significantly.

Those not on the Quicksilver? We'll discuss your IC training by email after concepts and sheets are nailed down.
Penta
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jun 23 2010, 09:46 AM) *
That law was passed with the understanding that the death penalty would only be applied to former Nazis, which it has (Adolf Eichmann). In practice, the IDF rarely persecutes war crimes internally - but then again, which military does? In fact, because Israel has the whole "Nation under siege" thing going in SR even more than IRL, I was planning on having Cherry be unusually liberal with that sort of thing - torture is okay as long as it's deemed necessary, prisoners should be field executed if you're suspicious for any reason, it's okay to fire the first shot on what appears to be a civilian if you have good intel that they're an enemy, etc. I intentionally didn't purchase any less-than-lethal ammunition or programs (though Cherry will purchase both in NJ after the rules of engagement are explained to her).

I'm also hoping to put up a training scene at some point today - honestly, I was hoping someone else would do it first so I could crib off them, but c'est la vie.

MO-wise, Cherry's going to be wanted to stay off the enemy ship, first EWing them into isolation (preferably shutting down their internal wifi as much as possible, too, to reduce their coordination) and then using the Matrix to disable and/or inconvenience the enemy. Enemy hackers are dealt with using Blackhammer.

Points well-taken re Israel, and generally. I should note that last group didn't get past the Chantico's Bounty mission (which will probably be significantly harder for you guys just because I haven't lost all my stuff (yet)), so I never got to explore more...liberal ROE.

Dumori
I have stealth and SnS rounds as my a option I also have a AR/shoutgun and a LMG and a Sniper(of dubious use but it gives an option that is well usefull). I have plastic restraints as well. I forgot to pack knock out gas though.
Edana
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 23 2010, 09:58 AM) *
Those not on the Quicksilver? We'll discuss your IC training by email after concepts and sheets are nailed down.

I can only imagine the kind of hell Eliana will put her trainers through wink.gif.

As far as prisoners go, I've got some plastic restraints, but Eliana's not really the taking prisoner's type. She wouldn't just outright murder someone over having them as a prisoner, but if people tried to surrender in the middle of a fight, they'd be liable to end up dead.

Incidentally, perhaps linking the list in the first post to the char sheet posts would be nice. I know that in trying to figure out what people can/can't do it's kind of a pain having to search through 2 threads to find the sheets.

Here's all the ones I could find:

This thread
Cherry
Aquaman
Eddy
Eliana

Creation thread
Roger
Malachi
Salt
Dumori
also a link to the ship would be nice too nyahnyah.gif.
Penta
I would have to *find* all of the posts first.smile.gif
Edana
That's why I linked all the ones I could find in my post wink.gif. As far as I can tell, Sharky is the only one that lacks any posted sheet at all.

The ship I'll leave to someone else to figure out, since that looks like it's scattered across multiple posts and I'm not sure there was a complete list posted for it.
Penta
Ugh, yes, the ship was hell. When you guys settled upon the ship, you definitely didn't put it in one place.frown.gif

Cookie to the first person to dig out the final decision on that.
Faraday
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 23 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Ugh, yes, the ship was hell. When you guys settled upon the ship, you definitely didn't put it in one place.frown.gif

Cookie to the first person to dig out the final decision on that.

Boat build.

The HMG was in a further post. Here.

Haven't actually decided on ammo, probably x20 clips regular, x10 clips APDS, and x6 clips AV.
Penta
Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie for Faraday.
Dumori
If we don't have a spare Gryo mount Sharky has one that it can use. As well my white knight is a 9 RC firing FA. As for ammo AV and EX/Ex-EX would work as a clips normal rounds belt feed for suppressive fire or when just being a HMG is enough.

My Sheet.

Sharky, Current Edition, updated 6/23/10
[ Spoiler ]
da Loof
Any room for me on the waiting list? I'm really looking for a PbP game.
Penta
Sure, but you might be waiting for a while. PM me your concepts, anyway.
Dumori
FYI Penta my offer to co-GM if needed still stands.
Xahn Borealis
In regards to team roles, I've always seen Aquaman as a mix of Sulu, Chekov and Scotty, without the incomprehensible accents that mix would create. Pilot, navigator, mechanic. Also, because of the way I set up his gear, 'ware and skills, he would be good at rescuing someone who fell overboard (rigged SeaDoo, grapple arm, brilliant swimming). In combat, his strategy is 'geek the mage'. Over and over. If there was a mage to be interrogated, he would be all for magical deprivation torture (i.e., forced Essence reduction). If there was anyone else being interrogated, he would ask why he was being consulted over it biggrin.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 23 2010, 11:47 AM) *
If we don't have a spare Gryo mount Sharky has one that it can use. As well my white knight is a 9 RC firing FA. As for ammo AV and EX/Ex-EX would work as a clips normal rounds belt feed for suppressive fire or when just being a HMG is enough.

Do note that even without a gyromount, it can be fired with -9 RC while sitting/prone and -5 RC while standing.
toturi
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 23 2010, 11:27 PM) *
I forgot to pack knock out gas though.

5 Flash, 5 Flashbang, 5 Neurostun and 5 Breathtakers.

Eddie was a bounty hunter, these are just in case the client wants the mark alive ("I want them alive... No disintegrations!")
toturi
@ Faraday: You might want to make sure the crew members are all up to date on their shots. Especially the boarding crew. It would be real embarrasing if the crew all fell ill. Might want to think up some bio/chem war countermeasures too.

I had initially wanted Eddie's innoculations to be up to date but decided that it would have been the first thing on his to-do list if this gig hadn't turned up. Maybe the Navy would spring for some healthcare. biggrin.gif
Penta
Actually, toturi? They probably would, but one of you has to ask Roger, who has to ask Walker or Roberts ICly.
toturi
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 24 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Actually, toturi? They probably would, but one of you has to ask Roger, who has to ask Walker or Roberts ICly.

I was thinking this was one of the things that the medical officer might think of, on his own. You know, like your real family doc would ask you whether your shots are up to date or recommend that you get your shots done when you tell him you are going travelling.
Penta
As he did. Okay, purpose accomplished.
Minchandre
I don't want to put this in the IC thread because it'll require a tiny IC post before my larger one, but Cherry's clothes include her old fatigues, her new uniform, a set of workout clothes, and a Zoe cocktail dress that cost more than some cars. She's just aware enough to shoot Roberts a quick text, outlining the situation and asking for advisement. Maybe their clothing printer can whip up a quick dress uniform, or a simple pants-and-shirt combination in the appropriate level of formality?
Penta
Yeah, that works.smile.gif Either one, since they can download patterns (But only while the Navy folks are aboard...Due to Insert Technobabble Here).

(This neatly covers up for the fact that the IDF...does not have dress uniforms, strictly speaking. Which I should have realized during my writing of the post.)
Minchandre
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 26 2010, 02:46 PM) *
Yeah, that works.smile.gif Either one, since they can download patterns (But only while the Navy folks are aboard...Due to Insert Technobabble Here).

(This neatly covers up for the fact that the IDF...does not have dress uniforms, strictly speaking. Which I should have realized during my writing of the post.)

Actually, officers in the IDF are issued dress uniforms when they're abroad and need to wear a dress uniform because everyone around them is. Here's a navy one, courtesy of Wiki...

Crap, I can't find an Army version. Anyway, it's probably more appropriate for her to wear something non-military, anyway, which I'll have Roberts advise her of. She's also theoretically not rubbing in people's faces her affiliation.
Xahn Borealis
Wear the dress, it's armoured. biggrin.gif
Minchandre
Fun fact: when searching online for Israeli uniforms, 85% of the results are women.
toturi
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jun 27 2010, 06:35 AM) *
Fun fact: when searching online for Israeli uniforms, 85% of the results are women.

IRL, never fucking mess with Israeli women. Krav Maga teaches people to kick their attackers in the balls as the first resort.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 27 2010, 12:14 AM) *
IRL, never fucking mess with Israeli women. Krav Maga teaches people to kick their attackers in the balls as the first resort.

Learned from experience?
toturi
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jun 27 2010, 07:22 AM) *
Learned from experience?

Of course. 'Cept I wasn't on the receiving end.
Dumori
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 27 2010, 12:31 AM) *
Of course. 'Cept I wasn't on the receiving end.

As any smart person wouldn't.

Now not to spilting the loot.

100% to 75% so far

frist point do we do all over splits from the base 100% or the new 75%

I also say we pay off imediate expenses plus 5-10% to the ship then spilt the remainder evenly.
Minchandre
I think the Captain and XO should get extra shares grinbig.gif

Seriously, though, I like Dumori's idea: take the 25% off the top, allocate some amount for large public purchases (10%, maybe?) and then divide the remainder evenly. Maybe the Captain should get 50-100% extra.

Are we still going with the salvage cover?
Dumori
I was thinking that the pot could also be lobbied for bigger purchases for PCs. Say a bit more to get that cyber while on shore leave ect.

I was thinking salvage/high cost cargo movement as our main cover.

Then I'll see about rigging up a fall-back last line cover to do with smuggeling. Maybe try and get enough dirt on my contacts' rivals for us to successfully pretend to be part of them. If they say we aren't we play the of course they'd say that card and give them details of their op. The pros a believable cover and could get us off lighter with our "deal" cons might be hard to get and keep such info up-to-date.
Faraday
Well, if we're dealing with non UCAS folks, I'd say our last line of cover would be the HMG. >.>
Cover has to be maintained, right?

As for loot sharing, Dumori's plan pretty much sums up my take on things.
The Goon
Hey guys here is my character Barnyard.

[ Spoiler ]

Not sure when he is joining the crew IC.
Penta
Goon: In Cape May. He gets recruited at least 7 days before joining the crew - not by Roberts, who can't be in two places at once, but by another Navy guy posing as an independent fixer - and then brought to Cape May for training on land for the days prior to when he's introduced to the crew. I'll email you re the training.
Xahn Borealis
Not sure Welding is an active skill by RAW, supposed to be knowledge?
Dumori
True active skills are set in stone. Even chemistary is a knowledge skill unless your use an optional rule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012