Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Neptune's Realm - OOC thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Penta
Use this thread for chatter, die rolls, etc. Approved character sheets/bios, too.

Character list as of 06/27/10, links are to sheets:

Digital Heroin - Salt - CO
Minchandre - Cherry - XO/Comms/Intel
Faraday - Roger - Purser/Medical
Tutori - Eddie - Marine
Dumori - Sharky - Quartermaster/Dive O
Xahn Borealis - Aquaman - Engineer
GrimWulf - Malachi - Gunnery
Horvagab - name not yet chosen - Thamaturgical
Edana - Eliana - role undefined
Grinder - character undefined - role undefined
The Goon - Barnyard - role undefined

MY Quicksilver - HMG

Reserve list as of 06/27/10:
Nobody as of yet.
Penta
Brief points: Guys, if you arrive anytime after 0801:

You do not see guys with rifles, you see Miami cops, presumably bribed to keep onlookers away.

The pier is pretty long, such that the actual slip is enmeshed in a bank of fog. (My one memory of my one time travelling through Miami: It was fairly foggy til 10 am.)

(I was trying to surprise your characters, who would not know that the UCAS Navy is running the op...)

Finally, Malachi:

...Whut'd he say? Translation, please, I don't speak Rasta.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 3 2010, 12:22 PM) *
Finally, Malachi:

...Whut'd he say? Translation, please, I don't speak Rasta.

Maybe translations should be spoilered.
GrimWulf
Sorry, i'll modify post, and for some reason I coulda sworn I'd put in a spoiler tag of what he'd said, apparently I hid it so well I can't even see it.
Penta
Thanks, GrimWulf. Yeah...So far as the rest of it: Not going to make you change posts, but I am imposing my reality upon yours.smile.gif
Minchandre
So, I'll just say that Cherry's waiting a few feet back from where Malachi is altercating with the cops or whatever, then?

Cherry, Current Edition, updated 6/10/10
[ Spoiler ]
Dumori
I'm back from my sudden trip across country and should have a bio and such ready by the weekend if not tomorrow.
Minchandre
By the way, I had intended to note that Cherry was prominently wearing her machine pistol. Should I retroactively edit this in to the description, or just allow it to come up naturally?
fazzamar
Summoning a Rating 3 Spirit of Water:
My Summoning + Magic (2 + 4) (6d6.hits(5)=1) (Ick!)
Spirt's Force (3) (3d6.hits(5)=2) (Doh)

Resist Drain of 4S
Will + Logic (5 + 5) (10d6.hits(5)=6) (No drain at least)

Take 2
Summoning a Rating 3 Spirit of Water:
My Summoning + Magic (2 + 4) (6d6.hits(5)=3) (Much better)
Spirit's Force (3) (3d6.hits(5)=1)

Resist Drain of 2S
Will + Logic (5 + 5) (10d6.hits(5)=3) (Again with no drain)

Result a Force 3 Spirit of Water with 2 Services till sundown.
Minchandre
Hey, did we ever decide on an XO?
Penta
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jun 3 2010, 10:12 PM) *
By the way, I had intended to note that Cherry was prominently wearing her machine pistol. Should I retroactively edit this in to the description, or just allow it to come up naturally?

Let it come up naturally.

And no, we'd never decided on an XO.
fazzamar
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 6 2010, 07:04 AM) *
Let it come up naturally.

Iff any of the other 5 or so people that are supposedly playing ever post. Penta, are you going to implement a 2 or 3 day without response we continue on rule?
Not sure how we'd do it for the meet though. When dealing with the military saying that their characters are late because of their lack of posting isn't really an option me thinks.
Penta
I was going to, but it's hard to implement for the start of the game.
GrimWulf
Sorry it took so long, but modified post up. I worked a bit into the cop seeing as I didn't want to have to force Minchandre to edit their post either.
Penta
Thanks, GrimWulf.
Minchandre
QUOTE (GrimWulf @ Jun 6 2010, 11:36 AM) *
Sorry it took so long, but modified post up. I worked a bit into the cop seeing as I didn't want to have to force Minchandre to edit their post either.

Thank you for the kind consideration.

By the way, to clear this up, as there seems to have been confusion: Minchandre is a male. Honestly, I don't mind be referred to with female pronouns, but I find the use of "their" as a gender neutral to be awkward.
Digital Heroin
While I am apologetic about my lack of a post thusfar, it is hardly productive to start ragging on people as not having taken time so far to post, when the debate over the ship, and the character creation process, dragged on so long. I had work kick me in the ass at the end of this week (got given one day's notice of overnight exercises), and I had a road-trip to take this weekend. I am, however, back, and salivating over the opening of the IC posting, so will be writing my ass off for Salt, asap.
Penta
I'm not biting yet, DH.frown.gif
Digital Heroin
I didn't mean you, eh.
fazzamar
He meant me. While you may have a valid reason for not posting yet, I don't feel I was out of line for poking at the people who haven't posted yet. Especially when one considers that 5+ people have yet to post in the IC thread, the IC thread that's been there for 4 full days, the IC thread that was posted after a chargen/shipgen process that took 51 days, FIFTY-ONE DAYS! If it's going to be 4+ days between posts from some people then don't get grumpy if I suggest we have a standing rule that we'll continue without you. Unfortunately for those of us who want to play, but fortunately for those who haven't posted, right now that is not a really viable option.

Changing the subject, I hope you guys are patient with my posts. This is my first play by post game AND the first time in 10+ years I get to be a player in a SR campaign (always the GM never the Player). I'm going to try and be more descriptive in my posts that I was in my first post.
Minchandre
I'll chime in on the poking people to post discussion. I understand that people have lives. I understand that after 2 months of painstaking crew and ship construction, people probably aren't checking the board as compulsively as I am. Still, I am afraid that if people get into a habit of posting every 4 or 5 days, then the game will continue at that pace, which is...somewhat slower than I'd like.

Still, whatever's good. I'm probably the least busy now that I've been in, oh, about 5 or 6 years. That's probably not true of everyone.
Xahn Borealis
As for me, I'll be able to post quite likely every day, but I'll likely be AFB and away from my sheet. I have no (reliable) internet access at home, but that may be changing soon. As I said in the recruitment thread RL is dumping all over me. Think moving from a Middle Lifestyle to a Low and getting Day Job at maximum BP for minimum nuyen. (It's actually......McHughs embarrassed.gif )
Penta
Hence why I recommend posting sheets up here, Xahn. My initial plan was they'd be the first posts of the thread, but it'd still be good if people posted em up here.
Xahn Borealis
And here it is, finished! (at last)

Char
[ Spoiler ]

Bio
[ Spoiler ]
Minchandre
Rolling for Data Search to dig up info on Daniel Martinez (of that particular SIN).

Data Search + LOG = 13 dice, 13d6.hits(5) = 4 (Distressingly, this is exactly what statistics tells us is likely to happen! nyahnyah.gif )

Also, I'll edit my charsheet into my first post on this thread in the morning.
Penta
Yeah um...DH you get to resolve a roll on your character's public SIN.
fazzamar
Here's Nik's character sheet. I'll update my sig to link to this sheet instead....

Quick physical description for other players: Caucasian Ork with a heavy russian accent. Unless noted otherwise he's wearing brown slacks, white collared shit, brown tie, tan shoes, and brown long coat. Basically think of stereotypical private investigator from older movies. When talking to him he's polite and relatively quiet.

[ Spoiler ]
Minchandre
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 9 2010, 04:46 AM) *
Yeah um...DH you get to resolve a roll on your character's public SIN.

It's nothing personal; DH's public SIN is just the only other person whose in active mode.
Penta
It's still quicker this way.smile.gif
Digital Heroin
Sorry all, ended up getting tagged with duty, and stuck at work today despite the overnight. Shall be responding soon, including with relevant info for the false SIN.
Penta
Okay. so. In lieu of this game dying on me, I'm gonna give it another 24 hours for the rest of you to post before I move on.
Penta
Oh, doh. I forget something. For the sake of the next post (which I already have written), please don't walk down the pier yet.
Dumori
I was abotu 75-90% throw my first post but I lost about 50-60% of it so I'll have my post up by the end of the day.
Faraday
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 10 2010, 06:24 AM) *
Okay. so. In lieu of this game dying on me, I'm gonna give it another 24 hours for the rest of you to post before I move on.

Key thanks. nyahnyah.gif
Penta
It's up, guys. We can actually skim past the training if you'd like. I did indeed copy the post from Blood in the Water, it seemed a little more efficient.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 10 2010, 02:24 PM) *

Is it too late for me to post now?
Penta
You can post...Just make sure to at least react to the latest post.
Xahn Borealis
Note: "equipment" refers to Jackson's Colt M24A4 Water Carbine, his modular grapple arm plugin, several clips of ammo, and his modular synthetic cyberarm, containing his MCT Fly-Spy drone. That would all fit right? The smuggling compartment's in the seat of the SeaDoo.
Penta
Mmm. /me thinks briefly.

It'd be a very tight fit and sort of awkward, you'd have to pack really carefully, but I'd allow it this once.
Xahn Borealis
But what about getting the PWC on board? I'd ask IC, but I don't wanna be rude to Captain Johnson.
Penta
ICly there'll be hemming and hawing on the part of the people packing it, but they'll fit it.
Xahn Borealis
Coupla quick questions. How do you use this invisible castle thing? Do I have to create an account on it? Also, what's Zulu time?
Penta
In reverse order: Zulu time is the US military's way of expressing UTC. If I can keep track of location well enough, you will be changing timezones, so Zulu provides an absolute track of time.

Invisible castle: No need to create an account. Do clearly identify rolls.
Xahn Borealis
So... GMT? According to Wikipedia, they're basically the same thing, but UTC is more precise. So, anytime someone says Zulu, it means the time where I am? (England)
Dumori
Well -1 atm but yes.
Penta
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jun 11 2010, 05:45 PM) *
So... GMT? According to Wikipedia, they're basically the same thing, but UTC is more precise. So, anytime someone says Zulu, it means the time where I am? (England)

Yes, but UTC doesn't adjust for summer. That's key.
Xahn Borealis
And neither do I. I don't even know if it's summer here or not. One day it's miserable, the next you sunburn your neck. Meh, at least there's no mana storms. (yet)
Penta
I'm grumpy at DS for crashing overnight. With how frequently they've been happening, I almost threw my hands up last night and said "fuck it, next time I'm doing PBEM". No offense to the admin and mods, especially those that handle the server and the software, but it's getting a bit stupid how frequently DS goes down.

I've calmed down, but I had to vent.
---
Less grumpy:

Anyhow...Minchandre and, I think, Faraday? Poke me via email (as should any other hackers, but those two are the ones I recall on 4h sleep). I've some ideas re hacking I want to run by you guys, so far as how we'll handle it. Nothing heartstopping, I just have some ideas I want to run past those playing hackers to gather some opinions on. I'll post em for broader review here (to gather still more opinions) as a v2 draft after the hackers pick through it with me.

Also: If I have your email address and I know you haven't posted, I've sent an email to poke. Even if I haven't sent an email, if I've approved you, You're welcome to post in up to the point everybody boards the boat with it being handwaved that you've been present all along. After that, I'll deal with you as a player on the reserves list. Seems the fairest way to handle stragglers yet keep the game moving.

Similarly, though we only have one magic-user (Fazzamar) that has posted thusfar, I've thoughts on magic I'm going to go over in a similar fashion. Fazzamar, I think I have your email, but if you could shoot me a quick email so I have your address on gmail, I'd be happy.

In both the Matrix and magic stuff, I'm not intending to draw up house rules, just "how we'll play it" guides, developed collaboratively, so that everybody playing those characters has clear expectations. In some cases, these guides may hew closely to the rules. In other cases, they may run things more cinematically/freeform (ie, with less reliance on dice and more on storyline, drama, and so forth, sometimes abandoning the dice altogether). The idea is to set down in text the guidelines for players and GM alike, just so we can come to something that makes people content, is set down for reference, and can be referred to when needed.

I don't foresee the need for similar guides for other stuff, but if they're needed, I can do em.
---

Oh, since Dumori asked: I may have stated this before, but for the record, I'm going to show my hand as a newbie GM: Walker, Roberts, and associated NPCs you'll interact with on that side (your other trainers, mostly) don't actually have stats drawn up; they do have fairly comprehensive play notes, but no stats. Reason: Trying to stat these characters would box me in, when they're not intended for stat-using tasks; they're plot facilitators. They're not meant for combat or anything - they're meant to help RP. As RP goes on, I keep updating their play-notes with filled-in info. I do not plan to ever really stat them. Please keep that in mind when dealing with these characters.

Next: While we're in the training phase, the people capacity and similar things about the Quicksilver may seem weirdly like the TARDIS, "bigger on the inside".smile.gif That's because it sorta is, to accommodate the weirdness of this phase of the start. Please, roll with it, and try not to notice it ICly. There's, as we discussed, an intended passenger and crew capacity for the ship, but there was supposed to be an entire crew that got the boat to Miami, provides security, etc., too, and trying to figure out how big that crew would need to be gave me fits.

Onward: One of the things I did for the crew in Blood in the Water was the quarters gifts, the notes...And indeed, the quarters descriptions, custom-fit to each character to the best of my ability. Nothing decisive, but a way for you to develop the characters. Unfortunately, this time, I'm not sure I fully have ideas for each character...So if you'd like to participate, PM (or, preferably, email) me, and we can figure out appropriate gifts. Like last time, they're a GM-prerogative sort of compensation for what, again like last time, turned out to be a really long and hard chargen phase. Not nearly enough, I know, but I'm not unaware of how frustrating things got before we started play.

Oh, yeah, about that training phase. In an attempt to let me figure out that, I'll just pose this question: Some training would be unavoidable, ICly. I think the "course catalog" approach of BitW, while not bad, may be too complex. That said, what training should be included, given the fact that you'll be on a ship that'll, for the most part, be moving? What should be common to everybody, at least? Think from the UCAS's perspective, and consider that not everybody has sleep regulators, so the whole 168+ hours of the week aren't available. (On the other hand, free time should be limited - the Navy is well-aware that idle hands are the devil's tools, for one thing, and for another would like to see how you all operate under stress.)

Finally: Do you guys think a starter run like the Chantico's Bounty raid would be a good thing, or would you like to proceed directly into independent stuff once the training/transit phase is up?

You don't need to reply to any of this, but if you'd like to, you're more than welcome to.smile.gif
Dumori
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 12 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Oh, since Dumori asked: I may have stated this before, but for the record, I'm going to show my hand as a newbie GM: Walker, Roberts, and associated NPCs you'll interact with on that side (your other trainers, mostly) don't actually have stats drawn up; they do have fairly comprehensive play notes, but no stats. Reason: Trying to stat these characters would box me in, when they're not intended for stat-using tasks; they're plot facilitators. They're not meant for combat or anything - they're meant to help RP. As RP goes on, I keep updating their play-notes with filled-in info. I do not plan to ever really stat them. Please keep that in mind when dealing with these characters.

I don't recall say that or even things to that effect. Sure you haven't got me mixed up with some one else.

On the training side hummm. I'm not too fussed. Free time wise Rob would either play matrix games or tinker with the weaponry standard matinace and such makeing sure the OH shit gear has linked rounds at the ready ect ect.

On the idea of a starter operation. Raiding and more impotently intel gathering and what type of intel they are after would be important. Back to training drills and contingency for receiving things to do with part 3-4 of our jobs would be interesting ICly.
Penta
I did, Dumori, sorry. Someone brought it up, but I forget who, and your name came quickest to mind. Like I said, 4 hours of sleep last night.frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012