Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Space Technology
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
hermit
Shadowrun technological development does not follow a logical path

Real-world technological development also follows it's own, internal logic and has always been dependent on accidents and the personal agendas of less than sane people (just check out how much of today's technology goes back to Hitler being a loon). Logically, green gentech should be all over the place, but it's not becausereligion is keeping it back tooth and nail because someone wrote a book once that said the world was created in seven days and creation is static. Which is wrong and is well known to be wrong, but a major and very illogical factor directing technological development far off a what would be the logical path from an engineer's point of view. And the real world doesn't have all the high fantasy magic and dragons meddling.

a) the technology exists, and is feasible.

Fallacy #1: it doesn't, at least not as advanced and freely available as you make it.

b) An A.I. has the skills and patience needed to plan perform all the needed physical actions. c) because A.I.'s can be legal citizens of a country, they would have the right to create these devices, and travel in space just as anyone else would .An industrial nanoforge can make all the parts, and nano-hives can make the raw materials.

Fallacy #2: Being a legal citizen does not mean you can do anything you want. Space is a restricted environment, and not open to anyone who wants to go there. Nuclear technology is severely restricted and not available to anyone who wants it.
Fallacy #2a: Nanotechnology is the most regulated technology in the SR world. That is even stated in the one book you appear to have read. No way anyone without the best of connections is going to get an industrial nanoforge and omnipotent self-replicating nanites.

While the needed equipment may require permits, none of it is illegal.

Falacy #3: Of course is possession of many of these items illegal for average citizens. That's the nature of regulated items.

There is nothing stopping the construction of the ship legally.

Fallacy #4: Of course there is, starting with Corp Court orders and anti-terror, anti-smuggling and nuclear control laws.

Space is like international waters, you do not have any legal rights to attack anyone else's stuff unless you are at war. Doing so makes you at war. So anyone who attacked it would now be subject to the full measures of international law, and quite possibly the corperate courts, as this A.I. may be a corperate citizen.

Committing crime exempts you from protection by the body you are a citizen of, unless said body feels like fighting everybody with a vested interest in keeping highly dangerous technology out of the hands of a group of creatures who have abused such technologies on a genocidal level repeatedly in the past.

Of course, that flat out makes no sense, assuming anyone would want to go to war over an uppity citizen who accumulates highly restricted material for unknown and possibly dangerous purposes. Going by SR4's background, this is a case for the Dawkins Group, and the AI would be quietly disposed of, or the Corp Court, and the AI would be less queitly disposed of.

This would also likely mean that the A.I. would likely respond to that attack in kind. If you think an A.I. is dangerous because it wants to leave the planet to get away from crazy people, find out what happens when it wants to hear them scream, because you would.

No, the AI would find out how much it sucks to be tied to a physical body when it is hit by a thor shot, the common way SR solves the problem of uppity entities like that.
SkepticInc
Why would an AI bother with a ship? Wouldn't it just wait until someone moved equipment to Mars, and then send themselves by signal? If they sent a powerful enough sprite ahead of themselves to secure the system it would continue receiving for the needed duration to upload the AI. Then the AI needs to hack into something powerful enough to send a signal that far, and do so. Then they could pull a Deus, and Evo's Mars colony would suddenly stop communications with Earth.
hermit
Why would an AI bother with a ship? Wouldn't it just wait until someone moved equipment to Mars, and then send themselves by signal? If they sent a powerful enough sprite ahead of themselves to secure the system it would continue receiving for the needed duration to upload the AI. Then the AI needs to hack into something powerful enough to send a signal that far, and do so. Then they could pull a Deus, and Evo's Mars colony would suddenly stop communications with Earth.

That could work, though I don't see where this would improve the AI's image any. Is a nice campaign background though.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 09:45 AM) *
That could work, though I don't see where this would improve the AI's image any. Is a nice campaign background though.

Bah. Helping image. If they just put backup receivers on a plethora of small bodies in the belt they would be immortal as long as they were in broadcasting range. Ew. Cylons.
hermit
Bah. Helping image. If they just put backup receivers on a plethora of small bodies in the belt they would be immortal as long as they were in broadcasting range. Ew. Cylons.

Another reason to prevent them leaving in a belkan-made super plane built from legally available ultra nanites and nuclear reactors from the DIY store. grinbig.gif
Mordinvan
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 01:10 AM) *
Fallacy #1: it doesn't, at least not as advanced and freely available as you make it.

To anyone with the money, and who's willing to fill out the paper work, nano hives and nano forges ARE.

Fallacy #2: Being a legal citizen does not mean you can do anything you want. Space is a restricted environment, and not open to anyone who wants to go there. Nuclear technology is severely restricted and not available to anyone who wants it.

Correct. Which is why it would be building it, and not buying it.

Fallacy #2a: Nanotechnology is the most regulated technology in the SR world. That is even stated in the one book you appear to have read. No way anyone without the best of connections is going to get an industrial nanoforge and omnipotent self-replicating nanites.

Best connections are not needed. A desktop forge will work for a start. As is stated in the books, hard nanites can be reprogramed. Then you scale up from there.

Falacy #3: Of course is possession of many of these items illegal for average citizens. That's the nature of regulated items.

No, items which need permits, just need permits. If they are illegal for average citizens they are called 'forbidden'.

Fallacy #4: Of course there is, starting with Corp Court orders and anti-terror, anti-smuggling and nuclear control laws.

As the A.I. in question in not engaging in any intercorp politics, there no room for the corp court. Building a power plant, especially if the right paper work if filled out can be done by anyone, even if its a fission plant.

Committing crime exempts you from protection by the body you are a citizen of, unless said body feels like fighting everybody with a vested interest in keeping highly dangerous technology out of the hands of a group of creatures who have abused such technologies on a genocidal level repeatedly in the past.

Actually it doesn't. I really hate to break this too you, but try shooting a jaywalker and see how far that gets you. You do realize people commonly get away with murder because of procedural errors in processing their case? Since the A.I. in question would be the citizen of a country and is actually filling out all the needed paper work, no law will have been broken.

Of course, that flat out makes no sense, assuming anyone would want to go to war over an uppity citizen who accumulates highly restricted material for unknown and possibly dangerous purposes. Going by SR4's background, this is a case for the Dawkins Group, and the AI would be quietly disposed of, or the Corp Court, and the AI would be less queitly disposed of.

The purpose is not unknown. It would be clearly stated on any and all required paperwork. To launch a exploration and mining vessel.

No, the AI would find out how much it sucks to be tied to a physical body when it is hit by a thor shot, the common way SR solves the problem of uppity entities like that.

Rail guns have a max velocity of around 20 kps. Given that, and given the A.I. has no need to actually load itself onto the ship until a suitable 'habitat' is built elsewhere in the solar system, you'd be taking a large risk even pulling the trigger. Assuming even it was on the ship, you'd have to aim and fire when it was less then 60km from the thor, because more then 3 seconds is plenty of time to maneuver it out of the direct path of a projectile. Otherwise it would have 1 full round to get off the ship, which would be fairly simple. Then you'd have to worry about someone who has all that nano tech, and actually has a reason to use it for hostile purposes.

Just take a second to sit back and look at your position for a moment. You claim they should be hated, and feared, yet you want to keep them around, because you obviously don't want them going anywhere? You've be arguing for several days now, that a creature you'd gladly murder should NOT be allowed to exile itself outside of your paranoid grasp. Wow glad to see someone didn't watch terminator one too many times or anything.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 25 2010, 01:38 AM) *
Why would an AI bother with a ship?

Because its sick of putting up with biggoted asshats, and wants to build its own matrix somewhere where the sub-sentient furrless monkeys are less of a problem.

Wouldn't it just wait until someone moved equipment to Mars, and then send themselves by signal? If they sent a powerful enough sprite ahead of themselves to secure the system it would continue receiving for the needed duration to upload the AI. Then the AI needs to hack into something powerful enough to send a signal that far, and do so. Then they could pull a Deus, and Evo's Mars colony would suddenly stop communications with Earth.

Because that would cause more problems with the humans the A.I. is looking to avoid.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 02:44 AM) *
Another reason to prevent them leaving in a belkan-made super plane built from legally available ultra nanites and nuclear reactors from the DIY store. grinbig.gif

I don't remember saying the fusion reactor was available at the store. The hard nanites in a desktop forge? Yes those are. And those are the only ones you need, as they can make everything else you need so long as you supply the raw materials, once properly 'house broken'.
hermit
<deleted>

I'm done arguing here.

Just take a second to sit back and look at your position for a moment. You claim they should be hated, and feared, yet you want to keep them around, because you obviously don't want them going anywhere? You've be arguing for several days now, that a creature you'd gladly murder should NOT be allowed to exile itself outside of your paranoid grasp. Wow glad to see someone didn't watch terminator one too many times or anything.

Maybe you should. You're arguing against logic, physics, the established setting (ignoring, for instance, the entire timeline) and obviously are high on some weird techno fetish. What do you want to accomplish here?

In the meantime, take your stuff to the AI thread. No need derailing this any further.

Because its sick of putting up with biggoted asshats, and wants to build its own matrix somewhere where the sub-sentient furrless monkeys are less of a problem.

Take your meds or see a shrink, man. Seriously, some people ...

--------------------

In the meantime, maybe get back on topic - space?
hermit
@Tzeench:

Here's stuff from 10 Jackpointers:

QUOTE ("10 Jackpointers @ page 23")
The orbital tribe known as the Snow Angels were former Russian astronauts who assisted in the construction of the Shibanokuji Freefall Resort. Weary of life planet-side, the group established a sizeable living space in a cargo storage bay, away from the orbital’s tourist and population centers.

Obvious Neuromancer reference too.

QUOTE ("10 Jackpointers @ page 24")
Asgard Data Haven [LINK]. The data haven is located in a former Fuchi Low Earth Orbit Electronic Intelligence satellite. When Fuchi broke apart in 2060, records of the satellite were either misplaced or
perhaps purposefully deleted. A pair of orbital hackers/scavengers named Pandora (see file Subject 22PA21) and Heimdall (see file Subject 05HL13) later discovered it and re-tasked the module for their own purposes. The subject and another hacker, Cinnabar (see file Subject 91CB00) were brought along as co-administrators in an illegal paydata auction house.

QUOTE ("10 Jackpointers @ page 25")
LEO-based shadowrunners
According to our field assets, [Orbital DK] has worked with the ZonePhreaks team on multiple occasions and maintains cordial relationships with shadow assets both in orbit and in the lunar colonies.

Horizon has something named D.A.R. going on, which bis some sort of orbital ... thing. (10 Jackpointers, page 25)

Also, some megas are at least scanning the belt for ressource-heavy asteroids, apparently, Horizon and Aztech among them. (10 Jackpointers, page 25)
Mordinvan
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 04:20 AM) *
<deleted>

I'm done arguing here.

Take your meds or see a shrink, man. Seriously, some people ...

Sure could have fooled me. If this is you when you're done arguing, what do you look like when you do argue?

Maybe you should. You're arguing against logic, physics, the established setting (ignoring, for instance, the entire timeline) and obviously are high on some weird techno fetish. What do you want to accomplish here?

Oddly enough, the above resembles nothing I've talked about.

No need derailing this any further.

As my posts started with a reasonable way to explore, mine, and seed other worlds based on present SR tech, and you responded by saying how A.I. should never be trusted, needed to earn their right to exist, and would be murdered every step of the way to get away from people who shared your opinion, I'd have to say YOU did the derailing.
Mordinvan
Double post.
Tzeentch
-- Could the AI discussion be moved elsewhere please? This is one of those setting elements that has LONG aroused great passion for some reason (I remember when knowbots got kicked up in capability and the outcry that caused), and it's not really relevant to Shadowrun space technology.
hermit
I will not post on this in this topic anymore. Sorry for the derailment. It's got it's own topic now anyway.
SkepticInc
I haven't read 10 Jackpointers yet. The only references I have for space come from the Wiki, Augmentation, and Arsenal. Do we have a list of publications that touch on space travel?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 25 2010, 08:42 PM) *
I haven't read 10 Jackpointers yet. The only references I have for space come from the Wiki, Augmentation, and Arsenal. Do we have a list of publications that touch on space travel?

-- I've been sort of working on that, but I agree it's something that could prove useful.
-- The most recent (3rd/4th edition) books of note are:

Year of the Comet (2061 probe race spurs investment)
Target: Wastelands (overview of 2062 situation)
Emergence (2070 AI space terrorist and AI heading to Alpha Centauri on the slowest slowboat of slowness ever -- seriously what's the delta-V of an asteroid mining platform, about 30 mps?)
Arsenal (2072 rules/gear)
Corporate Guide (2072 references to space projects)
hermit
German-only: Schockwellen (there was an in-depth coverage of Treffpunkt:Raumhafen in the campaign book)

Also, one of the SOTAs had a chapter on stuff in space, a couple haunts on the freelancer station and space rumors and updates.

Wake of the Comet had one of Proteus' launch pads covered.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 09:07 PM) *
-- I've been sort of working on that, but I agree it's something that could prove useful.
-- The most recent (3rd/4th edition) books of note are:

Year of the Comet (2061 probe race spurs investment)
Target: Wastelands (overview of 2062 situation)
Emergence (2070 AI space terrorist and AI heading to Alpha Centauri on the slowest slowboat of slowness ever -- seriously what's the delta-V of an asteroid mining platform, about 30 mps?)
Arsenal (2072 rules/gear)
Corporate Guide (2072 references to space projects)

Thanks. I'll have to read all of those.

Should someone put together a Wikibook covering contemporary space technology and sociology? I've got the start of one that includes some information on biodomes, treaties relating to space, use of satellites, and stuff like that. It isn't ready to go yet, but I could get it there fairly rapidly if people wanted me to. We could use it as a reference to make sure we aren't predicting a future that will be obsolete in two years.
IceKatze
hi hi

In regards to various engines and Delta V budgets.

The Dawn Mission has a ∂V of about 10,000 m/s with modern technology. I can't find Dawn's mass ratio but Deep Space-1 had a mass ratio of about 85% mass and 15% propellant. (I can't find Deep Space 1's total ∂V though, so I'm right back where I started but it had previously held the record for highest ∂V until it was broken by Dawn)

Anyway, I can imagine that someone with the finances of a megacorp could just brute force the mass ratios with something like 50% propellant and make the Earth to Mars transfer in a matter of months, or the transfer to the moon in a matter of hours. A 1 way 1G brachistocrone to the moon is about 126,000 m/s in about 3.5 hours. While I'm not sure what the ∂V of a .01G brachistocrone would be, I estimate it would be 3-9 times less and take 3-9 times longer.
SkepticInc
A High Altitude Platform (HAP) is a quasi-stationary aircraft which provide means of delivering a service to a large area while staying thousands of feet above in the air for long periods of time. A HAP differs from other aircraft in the sense that it is specially designed to operate at a very high altitude (17–22 km) [1] and is able to stay there for hours, even days.
[...]

As a space port Due to the height more than 90% of atmospheric matter is below the HAP. This reduces atmospheric drag for starting rockets. As a rough estimate, a rocket that reaches an altitude of 20 km when launched from the ground will reach 100 km if launched at an altitude of 20 km from a balloon.[8] It also allows the usage of (long) mass drivers for launching goods or humans into orbit.
--Wikipedia High Altitude Platform

Might always use these with a dirigible.
Ravennus
Hey Skeptic!
Cool idea about a Shadowrun Space supplement... I'd definitely be interested!

You mentioned in my Power Armor thread that you would be interested in one being built using the current SR4 Arsenal mod rules.... here's a excerpt of what I came up with. You can look in that thread for more details. "

Base Vehicle for Modification

Hyundai Shin-Hyung
Handling: +2
Accel: 20/45
Speed: 160
Pilot: 1
Body: 10
Armor: 5 (I assume it's concealed, as this is a street car)
Sensor: 1
Availability: - (Easy to find!)
Price: 17000 (Cheap enough for our runners!)

Also, we have a juicy 14 slots to play with... yum yum....

So what do we want? What are our Power Armor essentials? What makes Power Armor.... well, POWER ARMOR?

-2 Fully Articulated Mechanical Arms
-Walker Mode
-Rigger Adaptation (obviously)
-Rigger Cocoon (Basic is fine, though Enhanced is super cool if you can swing the 14 availability)
-Life Support (preferably Level 2 for a fully sealed Environment.... even works in space!)
-Armor (the more the merrier! if we remove the concealed armor we can get obvious Armor up to 20 and even free up an extra mod slot, as obvious only costs 1 slot and concealed is 2)
-Pimped Ride (more a requirement than a want... I'm sorry, but that Power Armor sticks out like a sore thumb and the mechanics of Pimped Ride are perfect)

IMHO, these are the bare essentials. Notice it doesn't include a weapon... but with the fully articulated arms you can easily carry some.... and you can always still mod some in (see below)
So altogether.... those essential mods come to *drumroll* ...

Arms = 4 slots/ nuyen.gif 8000
Walker Mode = 2 slots/ nuyen.gif 5000
Rigger Adaption = 1 slot/ nuyen.gif 2500
Rigger Cacoon (basic) = 1 slot/ nuyen.gif 1500
Life Support (Level 2) = 3 slot/ nuyen.gif 20000 <--- This is the big expense in nuyen and slots, but I think it's something that SkepticInc would especially be interested in for those Space runs
Normal Armor 20 (replaces concealed 5) = +1 slot/ nuyen.gif 4000
Pimped Ride (Level 2) = 1 slot/ nuyen.gif 5000

Including the downgrade form Concealed to Normal Armor, that's a net of 11 mod slots used and 46000 nuyen spent. No mod is over 12 Availability, so it's all available in chargen without the restricted quality.

So in total, this piece of basic functional Power Armor costs nuyen.gif 63000. Sounds about right to me! Much more than Milspec armor, but still cheaper than high-end 'ware.
Now that extremely modded Hyundai Shin-Hyung Street Racer looks like this....

"Blue Baller" Power Armor
Handling: +3
Accel: 10/23
Speed: 80
Pilot: 1
Body: 10
Armor: 20
Sensor: 1
Upgrades: 2 Mechanical Arms, Walker Mode, Rigger Adaptation, Rigger Cocoon, Life Support 2, Pimped Ride 2
Availability: 12R
Price: nuyen.gif 63000

But let's not forget we still have 3 mod slots to play with even before we get into potential overmodding.
You could even downgrade the Life Support to level 1 and save an additional 2 slots.
Also, you could argue that you could gain a mod slot or two by removing any extra passenger space from the car, as well as cargo space (like the trunk).

A short list of upgrades I would definitely be interested in...

-Assembly Time Improvement (for breaking it down and storing it in a much smaller place, like the back of a van)
-Extreme Environment Mod (as necessary, depending on the field of deployment)
-Ram Plate (Hell Yes! I would treat it as a shield on one arm. It wouldn't raise the armor, but would justify smashing stuff)
-Touch Sensors (for when you really have to feel like you are one with the machine)
-Weapon Mount w/ optional Ammo Bin
-Chameleon Coating
-Upgrading the Rigger Cocoon to Level 2 for some sweet autodoc action
-Body Stabilizer (I would almost consider this a part of the basic suit... super handy for maneuvering and recoil compensation)

Of course the car that's being modified is just a template we use to stay within the modification rules and to keep balance.
Your version of them doesn't to have anything to do with cars and they could come right off the assembly line with the final stats.

I hope you like it, and it's useful!
Tzeentch
-- Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't this basically boil down to a "power armor package" of modifications that you can slap on anything from an electroglide to a panzer?
Ravennus
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 26 2010, 04:07 AM) *
-- Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't this basically boil down to a "power armor package" of modifications that you can slap on anything from an electroglide to a panzer?

I suppose so, though I picked the Hyundai Shin-Hyung car because it had an extra 4 slots for modification (giving it 14 total), whereas almost everything else only has 10 total slots.
Body 10 is also the highest you can go and still have a Walker Mode, which the Shin-Hyung conventiently had.

But yes... with those mods you could basically turn anything into Power Armor... though it's difficult to find room for everything without getting into sketchy overmodding.

The Hyundai was just a helpful starting template. *shrug*

EDIT: Oh, and it's easily available and completely street legal... so are the majority of the basic mods, for that matter. Still, I'd like to see Lone Star's faces at that coming down the street! lol
IceKatze
hi hi

You'll have to excuse me if I'm sounding like a nay-sayer, and believe me I'd love to see Rigger 4 in the worst way, but wouldn't free fall be one of those places where you would need power armor the least? I would think the best way to move around would be fans (interior) and jets (exterior) and in those cases extra mass would end up working against you. Vacuum doesn't need armor plating to defend against, you could use a simple piece of form fitting body armor and modify it to provide mechanical counter-pressure and slap a helmet on.
kigmatzomat
crap. I just lost a long detailed post when my internet reset and gave me a newIP.

Okay, long story short, in space using forges and nanites still has 2 challenges, power and heat. Lets say you've got a fusion reactor or a square mile of solar cells for power. Heat is still a problem.

Most metals require temps in the neighborhood of 1000C to smelt. Even with focused lasers, the total energy budget is around 10kWhr/kg which means you need to be able to dispose of around 9kwhr/kg of excess heat. There's no water supply you can waste for evaporative cooking or an atmosphere to convect heat away. That means you need either a large mass to dump heat into or a large black body radiator.

We play a space exploration game and have a desktop forge to make spare parts. But given the power/heat issue we assume we can make 0.1kg metal/hr. Beats calling an orbital supply ship but not close to a replicator.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 26 2010, 03:31 PM) *
crap. I just lost a long detailed post when my internet reset and gave me a newIP.

Okay, long story short, in space using forges and nanites still has 2 challenges, power and heat. Lets say you've got a fusion reactor or a square mile of solar cells for power. Heat is still a problem.

Most metals require temps in the neighborhood of 1000C to smelt. Even with focused lasers, the total energy budget is around 10kWhr/kg which means you need to be able to dispose of around 9kwhr/kg of excess heat. There's no water supply you can waste for evaporative cooking or an atmosphere to convect heat away. That means you need either a large mass to dump heat into or a large black body radiator.

We play a space exploration game and have a desktop forge to make spare parts. But given the power/heat issue we assume we can make 0.1kg metal/hr. Beats calling an orbital supply ship but not close to a replicator.

Can't you dump heat by exposing one end of a mass to vacuum? Assuming everything was behind cover and wasn't exposed to the sun, doesn't the cold of space make for one of the best Carnot engines?
kigmatzomat
space isn't cold the way you and I normally think of cold. It's cold because of the vacuum. Here on earth we use vacuum bottles (aka thermos) as insulators. Because there's no atmosphere, there's no ambient temperature.

The carnot cycle depends on having some environment to transmit heat. I'm a civil not a mech eng, but iirc the transfer depends not just on the temperatures but the thermal conductivity and thermal mass. I.e water is probably 20x more efficient as a heat sink than open air. Higher density means higher thermal mass, in general terms. That's why cars use water lines to pull heat off the engine rather than air ducts.

Vacuums are the absence of appreciable pressure, aka the absence of mass close enough to bounce off of you, ergo it is really hard to get heat across a vacuum.

You wind up resorting to black body radiation, aka IR emissions. You could put your heat carrier in a pool of liquid you expose to space and induce evaporative cooking, but that goes to my lack of water.

There's some scifi by Travis Taylor, an actual rocket scientist with like four PhDs, and he has a a hybrid human-aien space ship that has to "chill" every so many hours of operation. They have large inflatable "sails" they fill with a thermally conductive fluid to act as large black body radiators. I think they also use a phase-change material to store the heat until they can chill.

SkepticInc
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 26 2010, 05:21 PM) *
space isn't cold the way you and I normally think of cold. It's cold because of the vacuum. Here on earth we use vacuum bottles (aka thermos) as insulators. Because there's no atmosphere, there's no ambient temperature.

The carnot cycle depends on having some environment to transmit heat. I'm a civil not a mech eng, but iirc the transfer depends not just on the temperatures but the thermal conductivity and thermal mass. I.e water is probably 20x more efficient as a heat sink than open air. Higher density means higher thermal mass, in general terms. That's why cars use water lines to pull heat off the engine rather than air ducts.

Vacuums are the absence of appreciable pressure, aka the absence of mass close enough to bounce off of you, ergo it is really hard to get heat across a vacuum.

You wind up resorting to black body radiation, aka IR emissions. You could put your heat carrier in a pool of liquid you expose to space and induce evaporative cooking, but that goes to my lack of water.

There's some scifi by Travis Taylor, an actual rocket scientist with like four PhDs, and he has a a hybrid human-aien space ship that has to "chill" every so many hours of operation. They have large inflatable "sails" they fill with a thermally conductive fluid to act as large black body radiators. I think they also use a phase-change material to store the heat until they can chill.

Oh, right. Thermal conduction is the transfer of heat between matter, so vacuum is not going to help. Convection won't work for the same reason, so as you said, only thermal radiation can be used to dump heat. And that is limited to an emissivity of 1, or the black-body radiation, as you say. The equation for all that is

Q' = εσA(T^4)

at least in my introductory thermo book for EE's. I guess the surface area is the only variable in there that can be modified much, so you could make a space-exposed heatsink with a very large surface area and then use vaporization refrigeration inside the body, but that doesn't solve the fundamental problem you mention. I'm always so sad when the Second Law of Thermodynamics pops by to say "Eh, not so much, kiddo. Try again."
IceKatze
hi hi

The hotter you can run the radiator before it melts does make some difference in how big the radiator has to be. If shadowrun has bubble fusion reactor technology, perhaps they could design radiators that suspend a superheated fluid in big long magnetic bubble tubes for the purposes of radiating heat?
Tzeentch
-- Any space habitat is going to need radiators to keep the humans from dieing to their own waste heat. I do not know the efficiencies of Shadowrun fusion or the temperatures that their nanites operate at, but a station is going to need rather impressive radiator arrays.

See Atomic Rocket and NASA and even the Orbiter forum.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jun 26 2010, 04:19 AM) *
hi hi

You'll have to excuse me if I'm sounding like a nay-sayer, and believe me I'd love to see Rigger 4 in the worst way, but wouldn't free fall be one of those places where you would need power armor the least? I would think the best way to move around would be fans (interior) and jets (exterior) and in those cases extra mass would end up working against you. Vacuum doesn't need armor plating to defend against, you could use a simple piece of form fitting body armor and modify it to provide mechanical counter-pressure and slap a helmet on.

I'm thinking the power armor could help position masses you're working with better, they still have inertia after all. Possibly provide greater rad protection, and puncture/tear resistance to the suit your in. You are however correct in that its added mass would be a hindered to any from of thrust based propulsion.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 26 2010, 07:31 AM) *

The energy is easy enough to get. The heat problem however can be an issue. For heat sinks, I usually think long black radiator fins on the shade side of the object. Pump a heated anti freeze through them, and allow them to radiate the heat away. Thats for being in the void. If you're rock side, you can just use the planet itself as a heat sink, as so long as you're not on venus or mercury.
kzt
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 26 2010, 09:04 PM) *
The energy is easy enough to get. The heat problem however can be an issue. For heat sinks, I usually think long black radiator fins on the shade side of the object. Pump a heated anti freeze through them, and allow them to radiate the heat away. Thats for being in the void. If you're rock side, you can just use the planet itself as a heat sink, as so long as you're not on venus or mercury.

Actually, heat buildup is a critical design issue in superhard underground command centers. Rock just isn't that good at getting rid of heat. Options on earth include things like huge storage areas full of ice kept cold by HVAC before you have to button up.

When you are trying to radiate heat into space I think you just get black body radiation. So when you have megawatts/sec of heat to dump you either need square kms of radiators or to have push the radiator temp up to the point where it glows.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 27 2010, 12:05 AM) *
Actually, heat buildup is a critical design issue in superhard underground command centers. Rock just isn't that good at getting rid of heat. Options on earth include things like huge storage areas full of ice kept cold by HVAC before you have to button up.

I'm thinking extensive subsurface heat pumps.

When you are trying to radiate heat into space I think you just get black body radiation. So when you have megawatts/sec of heat to dump you either need square kms of radiators or to have push the radiator temp up to the point where it glows.

Likely, I don't have the math background for such things to be honest.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 27 2010, 06:05 AM) *

That would be gorgeous to see against the dark of the void.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 27 2010, 12:55 AM) *
That would be gorgeous to see against the dark of the void.

Look but don't touch.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 27 2010, 12:00 AM) *
I'm thinking the power armor could help position masses you're working with better, they still have inertia after all. Possibly provide greater rad protection, and puncture/tear resistance to the suit your in. You are however correct in that its added mass would be a hindered to any from of thrust based propulsion.

Power armor is unnecessary in microgravity and probably dangerous to the person. Without gravity, you don't have weight-induced friction with the ground, meaning you have very little leverage. That makes it very likely that power armor will cause the astronaut to throw themselves forcefully into space (or an atmosphere).

Plus it's unnecessary. Here's an example.

85yro Mae Parker winds up working in orbit. Mae's a total weakling, she's able to lift about 2lbs on earth, giving her the ability to exert a force of 10 kg m/s^2 (~1 kg of mass x slightly more than earth's gravity acceleration of 9.81 m/s).

If Mae is working on the hull of a space station and applies her "unbelievable" strength to a 1 ton girder (1,000kg) she induces 10kg m/s^2 /1000kg = 0.01 m/s^2 acceleration.

If she has leverage and position enough to lift from her knees to a full overhead extension that gives her 2 meters to apply the force.

d=0.5 a t^2 , d=2m, a=0.01 m/s^2 , solve for time and we can see that she can push for 20 seconds. That tells us the velocity of the 1ton girder is 20s x 0.01 m/s^2 = 0.2 m/s (or about 0.5mph)

And nothing says she can't move a 1megaton object. It'll just take her 10 minutes and it will only get up to 0.006m/s, and she's got to be "standing" on a something that weighs several megatons.

So obviously if a woman that can barely lift a quart of milk on earth (2.1lbs) can move a megaton object around, you don't really need power armor.

And the flip side is that if 40kg Mae Parker accidentally pushes herself off the girder into space, she'll apply an acceleration of 0.25m/s^2 to herself, which would launch her at 1 m/s (5mph).
IceKatze
hi hi

Here is some gear that thought up that people might want to bring with into space or items in space that might make a difference:

• Hull Repair Kit: Like a first aid kit, but for leaks.
• Savior Repair Kit: Just place it on a leak and let the nanites do their thing.
• Slap patches: Come in all shapes and sizes, a stopgap measure against decompression.
• Fire extinguisher: Just like on a submarine, fire bad!

• Personal Re-entry Cocoon: For orbital insertions
• Ultra-high altitude parachute: see above
• G-Suit: Helps prevent blackouts

• Magnetic or Velcro Gloves and Shoes
• Magnetic or Velcro Tape: Quickly mod standard equipment so it doesn't fly off.
• Safety Tethers

• Industrial Strength Air Filter: May reduce radius of gas grenades

• Frangible Rounds: Bullets that wont pierce the hull, you've got to aim for the weak spot in people's armor though or they're not liable to pierce that either. "Some things in here don't react well to bullets."
SkepticInc
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jun 28 2010, 06:40 AM) *
hi hi

Here is some gear that thought up that people might want to bring with into space or items in space that might make a difference:

• Hull Repair Kit: Like a first aid kit, but for leaks.
• Savior Repair Kit: Just place it on a leak and let the nanites do their thing.
• Slap patches: Come in all shapes and sizes, a stopgap measure against decompression.
• Fire extinguisher: Just like on a submarine, fire bad!

• Personal Re-entry Cocoon: For orbital insertions
• Ultra-high altitude parachute: see above
• G-Suit: Helps prevent blackouts

• Magnetic or Velcro Gloves and Shoes
• Magnetic or Velcro Tape: Quickly mod standard equipment so it doesn't fly off.
• Safety Tethers

--I like the stack of gear. There is a nanite repair kit that covers the fixer-upper part, conveniently sized to fill in that 1/2 meter hole the troll left, but what you are describing sounds like a more robust setup.

--Orbit Drop Gear: I don't know what this would require from an engineering perspective, but I do swoon a bit at the idea. I really want to make an Orbital Swan Dive before I die. Can you imagine dropping from that high? It would be the most amazingly cool Adventure Sport for the Super rich ("Shinji, you suck. Get back in the Drop Suit.").

--Is there a disadvantage to Gecko Tape gloves that makes it inoperable in vacuum?
hermit
Nice equip set, Katze.

--Is there a disadvantage to Gecko Tape gloves that makes it inoperable in vacuum?

No, that kind of intermolecular attraction should work there just fine. Magnetic stuff would work better though.

Wouldn't Flechette ammo be the round of choice in Space though? Or is it suddenly effective against armour in SR4?

Mordinvan
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 28 2010, 08:14 AM) *
Nice equip set, Katze.

No, that kind of intermolecular attraction should work there just fine. Magnetic stuff would work better though.

Wouldn't Flechette ammo be the round of choice in Space though? Or is it suddenly effective against armour in SR4?

Its actually oddly effective.
hermit
And yet another wacko design decision for SR4.
IceKatze
hi hi

I guess it would depend on what kind of flechettes you are using. I think shadowrun uses the ultra thin, basically aluminum foil, strength flechettes. However, flechettes could be more akin to APDS penetrators too. Or technically they could be hollow depleted uranium needles filled with plastic explosives (but I guess those don't exist in shadowrun)''

I skimmed through some of my books looking for gear that already exists that would be important to note for space travel.

• Goggles: Keep floating debris out of your eye. Ever got a metal shaving in an eye before?

• Thermographic vision or a Flashlight: It gets really dark when the power goes out.

• Atmosphere/olfactory type sensor: You want to make sure air is breathable, and alert you to drops in pressure. "Wait! Don't open that, is there even air out there? You don't know!"

• Vehicle repair kit/mini welder: Your entire environment is your playground.
• Universal Sealant: Expensive, but effective

• Gecko Tape Gloves: makes getting around easier.

• Gas Mask: You don't want to trust someone else's air do you?
• Environment Seal: See above
• Radiation armor modification: If you plan on going outside, this will come in handy.

• Quicksilver mana sensitive camera: Is it safe to use magic here?

• Orientation System: It can be easy to get turned around in free fall.

• Low Oxygen adaptation
• Microgravity adaptation
• Radiation Tolerance

Things that might not be so useful in free fall:

• Thermite burning bar, and related chemicals: They're not going to stay where you want them to.
• DocWagon Contract: Not much use unless you have the polonium plus contract which covers space rescue.
• Underbarrel Weight: Recoil is less concerned about gravity in free fall.
• Pressure Pads: Still useful, but more situational

• Explosives: Use with extreme caution, you might end up getting burned yourself!
------
Edit: Also, take a look at:
MOOSE
Paracone
Saver
hermit
I guess it would depend on what kind of flechettes you are using. I think shadowrun uses the ultra thin, basically aluminum foil, strength flechettes. However, flechettes could be more akin to APDS penetrators too. Or technically they could be hollow depleted uranium needles filled with plastic explosives (but I guess those don't exist in shadowrun)''

But those are the rules used for lead shot, are they not?

Also, microgravity adaption geneware, enhanced atriculation, synthacardium and any sense modifications might come in handy. Internal air tank, too.
Tzeentch
Magnetic might not be a good choice, as much of a habitat is going to be constructed from nonmagnetic metals and polymers. The gecko stuff is best.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 28 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Magnetic might not be a good choice, as much of a habitat is going to be constructed from nonmagnetic metals and polymers. The gecko stuff is best.

Reh? Why is that? With the mass driver and the upcoming space elevator, why not use ferrous material to reinforce your stations (as it's going to survive a hit from the micrometeorites a heck of a lot better)?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 28 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Reh? Why is that? With the mass driver and the upcoming space elevator, why not use ferrous material to reinforce your stations (as it's going to survive a hit from the micrometeorites a heck of a lot better)?

-- I'm unclear what the mass driver or elevator has to do with anything. You're still going to be paying by the kg to get into orbit, and there are better ways to design your station than just laying on battleship armor (if this was an issue it would be far cheaper and easier to use preformed lunar slag anyways). Metal components will probably be aerospace aluminum (or some composite), which is not magnetic.
-- Getting hit with high relative-velocity space junk is going to be much more of a challenge than micrometeorites, and presumably both are handled by a simple housekeeping laser and tracking system. When the station is hit by statistics you treat it like any other hazard that you plan for.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 28 2010, 08:22 PM) *
-- I'm unclear what the mass driver or elevator has to do with anything. You're still going to be paying by the kg to get into orbit, and there are better ways to design your station than just laying on battleship armor (if this was an issue it would be far cheaper and easier to use preformed lunar slag anyways). Metal components will probably be aerospace aluminum (or some composite), which is not magnetic.
-- Getting hit with high relative-velocity space junk is going to be much more of a challenge than micrometeorites, and presumably both are handled by a simple housekeeping laser and tracking system. When the station is hit by statistics you treat it like any other hazard that you plan for.

That's exactly what the mass driver/space elevator has to do with it. Getting material into orbit is now cheap. It's economically feasible to put steel into orbit now as the cost of creating it and shipping it up the pipe is less than the cost of creating and shipping the composite.
hermit
The mass driver will be shut down when the space elevator takes up service (as seen in Vice's log-on page), because the spirits of Kilimanjaro are VERY unhappy about it being there and make it's operation very costly, since it means fighting a constant war with angry spirits, shamans, and locals (Corp Enclaves).
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 28 2010, 09:22 PM) *

I see you've been reading the ssi.org website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012