Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regular Military vs. Shadowrunners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Demonic357
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 12 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Never, ever tell an E-1 to go find that and a coil of glow wire and not to come back until he finds it.

He'll go AWOL for the week and it'll be your fault. rotate.gif

Don't forget the chem light batteries grinbig.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Mantis @ Jul 12 2010, 12:18 AM) *
KZT I think you need to check out how powerbolt works. You only need to defeat the object resistance test (5+) and the vehicle gets no damage resistance test. You can find the relevant passages on pg 204 of SR4a. The combat spells referenced by pg 187 of SR4a refer to indirect combat spells.

This is contradicted by the barrier rules. I remember having a long discussion where I argued the ability of a magic 1 punk to destroy a city. I lost.
stevebugge
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 12 2010, 11:06 AM) *
30 gangers shooting at a single sammy?

By the time the 15th to 20th guy starts shooting at the same sammy, his dodge pool has depleted to nothing. He'll be relying on his soak pool for 10 to 15 guys. At that point, the sammy would probably need at least 15-18 dice in his soak pool to avoid being badly injured or killed.

That was pretty much my point, in the end superior numbers win, the amount of training and hardware only helps define what the numeric advantage has to be. I figured in the 30 v. 1 scenario the Sammy would probably flatline somewhere between 2 and 4 before they ever got a shot off but that leave 28-26 to to return fire before the Sammy's next pass, if he makes it that far, and as your math points out he better be built to soak if he plans on getting there.
kzt
QUOTE (augmentin @ Jul 12 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Someone brought up a good point: the poor tend to be disproportionately represented in the infantry. With so many poor to chose from in 2072, I'd imagine the state could pay them less and provided fewer benefits and actually field a fairly large army even with limited tax revenues. By concentrating drone and magical support at the battalion CP it could be pretty cost effective to field a dystopian future infantry.

The last time I looked up the data for the US military the overrepresented groups in combat arms were lower-middle and middle class whites. Blacks and the poor in general were over-represented in support branches and under-represented in CA units.

The typical explanation I've seen is that most of the guys who signed up for combat arms were not planning on making it a career, it was something they wanted to do for a while, then would go onto something non-military for a career. Poor people who join the military were often planning on a career and being a supply clerk in San Diego is both a lot less risky and lot more comfortable than being an infantryman in Kandahar.
The Grue Master
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 12 2010, 02:44 PM) *
That was pretty much my point, in the end superior numbers win, the amount of training and hardware only helps define what the numeric advantage has to be. I figured in the 30 v. 1 scenario the Sammy would probably flatline somewhere between 2 and 4 before they ever got a shot off but that leave 28-26 to to return fire before the Sammy's next pass, if he makes it that far, and as your math points out he better be built to soak if he plans on getting there.

Conversely, your GM could spare you the absurdity of 30 dodge rolls and instead point out that 30 grunts firing SA is the equivalent of highly skilled mini-gun supressive fire. The sammy makes a test vs. some sort of collective goon dice pool and you resolve the situation in a few rolls, and nobody has to die of absurd shenanigans.
D2F
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 12 2010, 07:52 PM) *
Conversely, your GM could spare you the absurdity of 30 dodge rolls and instead point out that 30 grunts firing SA is the equivalent of highly skilled mini-gun supressive fire. The sammy makes a test vs. some sort of collective goon dice pool and you resolve the situation in a few rolls, and nobody has to die of absurd shenanigans.

What exactly is "absurd" about not being able to dodge all of 30 people shooting at you? You know how much lead that is?
StealthSigma
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 12 2010, 02:52 PM) *

Assuming a twinked sammy, I would expect his dodge pool to be reduced to 0 by grunt #16 (cumulative -1 dice pool penalty for each previous dodge), so for grunts #16-30 he would just be soaking damage with armor, body, and augments. Assuming drug addled gangers though.... I'd expect most of the damage the sammy is taking to be reduced to stun rather than physical, but I would expect a soak pool of about 15-18 at minimum in order to avoid taking any damage (assuming 5P guns). Death by a thousand cuts. grinbig.gif
The Grue Master
My point was it's absurd to have to fight 30 goons who are all just lined up shooting at you. If I ever found a member of my group in that situation, I would try to find a humane way to spare them. As such, I'd just crib from your average action movie, and have some dude running haplessly through a cloud of bullets as they bust up the walls, windows, ground, etc. He'd probably have to soak one or two but he's not mercilessly whittled down to nothing.
Yerameyahu
Well, it's an abnormal situation, yes, but I think the point is made. smile.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 12 2010, 12:26 PM) *
I disagree. The difference is in training, drill, equipment and intelligence. While Runners may be able to field comparable equipment in certain cases, they are not playing in the same Ballpark when it comes to actual Firepower.

Ares MP Laser systems, Thunderstruck Gauss Rifles, Close air support, Drone support, anchored spells...

Even on the defensive side, many Runners will fall short of the military assault armor the opposition would bring.

And having one guy in the team with military experience is going to amount to jack squat if you're going up against a team, where ALL have military training.

Hell, you could take the standard Red Samurai Team straight out of SR4A and give them the military armor they are supposed to wear instead of the regular full body armor and they could ruin the day of most Runner teams. Especially if you factor in additionally available resources, Like drone support and astral overwatch.
And that's just a SECURITY team, not military special forces.

In short: I am fairly confident that SR special Forces could wipe the floor with most Runner teams.

While I would agree that there are some units with MP Laser systems, gauss rifles etc, I think that 1 you are over stating how available they will be for a unit.

First of all, a shadowrun team better have better than standard issue gear. Not at least to mention cyberware. When we are talking about armies we are talking about reg forces not death squads and spy/assassin rings. They will have higher encryption, and better gear than all troops except the highest level of spies would be using.

The shadowrunners' firepower will be lacking tank mounted MP lasers, and gauss rifles, but with small unit tactics, they aren't going to be directly facing that kind of opposition. They are going to sneak in, sabotage with plans of opportunity. In a direct fire fight, yes, the military will throw a few missles, satellite laser bombardments, etc, which is why they would not fight that kind of fight. Think of an elite seal team behind enemy lines. Are they going to take on a battalion of tanks? no. They are going to sabotage, and destroy selective targets and remain hidden.

If shadowrunners don't have sufficient resources, (either from backing or from accruing them over time) they don't belong in the biz. The will exceed what regular forces have.

I would put a team of Canada's Elite commandos against a squad of 50 regular soldiers.
stevebugge
If you're Sammy with enough initiative boosters to be assured of going first and you find yourself on the business end of 30 drug addled Orc Gangers with pistols, the correct procedure is to run. Against more skilled the opposition the correct procedure is to run faster.

Now it is unlikely that the players would actually find themselves in this situation where I'm running a game, mostly for the afore mentioned 30+ rolls.
However if they are by some chance in this situation, if they run they will probably get the action movie treatment with only a handful of dodges for dramatic effect. If they decide to stand and fight then things will go less pleasantly.
Yerameyahu
Platinum: It goes without saying that this depends on the runner team, of course. For comparison, I guess we're assuming a *special-ops* runner team, which really isn't the typical squad.

I assumed we were basically discussing a very specific circumstance: runners in normal combat against military. Obviously, the runners never want to be in that situation in the first place, because it's stupid. smile.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 12 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Platinum: It goes without saying that this depends on the runner team, of course. For comparison, I guess we're assuming a *special-ops* runner team, which really isn't the typical squad.

I assumed we were basically discussing a very specific circumstance: runners in normal combat against military. Obviously, the runners never want to be in that situation in the first place, because it's stupid. smile.gif

I guess I missed something somewhere. thanks for clearing things up.
Dumori
QUOTE (BobChuck @ Jul 12 2010, 06:35 PM) *
The Corporations, which are the actual powers in the world, generally don't bother with standing armies - war is expensive.

Apart form Aztech and Ares and some more. At least 4 for the 10 have standing millitary/paramilliatary forces. Aztech is offering a get a Ork embro or two implanted for cash scheme for more than a few time their countries national average yearly wage. These Orks tend to enter the military. Ares has Knight Erant witch is more than a police force.

The CAS has an army as they are still at WAR with Aztech. UCAS has a milliatatry force thats is likely to still have sepc ops/black ops parts. UK has an army and the SAS as of the last source book also acts as secrate police. Though I'm of the opinion that the SRR would hold that role. I think that SR millitary willhave gone from large armys to samller well trained and equipped units. In a more for less sense.
Ryu
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 12 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Are you familiar with the Tir Ghosts? Or the Sioux Wildcats?

Both. I wouldnīt call them regular military. An example for a well-equipped merc force is MET2000. High-tech armies exist.

The question is how nation-states will build their forces. The high-tech army will deploy less soldiers, as an augmented fireteam can easily replace two unaugmented ones. Employment is a political issue, and small warrior castes have their own agendas. The runners can cope with numbers if allowed to fight dirty, but canīt reliably cope with an equal opponent.

I would keep the common unaugmented grunt for style reasons. There is a sufficient number of high-tech corp armies for the high-end games, and the army is closer to the level of the street for low-end games.
D2F
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 12 2010, 08:29 PM) *
While I would agree that there are some units with MP Laser systems, gauss rifles etc, I think that 1 you are over stating how available they will be for a unit.

First of all, a shadowrun team better have better than standard issue gear. Not at least to mention cyberware. When we are talking about armies we are talking about reg forces not death squads and spy/assassin rings. They will have higher encryption, and better gear than all troops except the highest level of spies would be using.

The shadowrunners' firepower will be lacking tank mounted MP lasers, and gauss rifles, but with small unit tactics, they aren't going to be directly facing that kind of opposition. They are going to sneak in, sabotage with plans of opportunity. In a direct fire fight, yes, the military will throw a few missles, satellite laser bombardments, etc, which is why they would not fight that kind of fight. Think of an elite seal team behind enemy lines. Are they going to take on a battalion of tanks? no. They are going to sabotage, and destroy selective targets and remain hidden.

If shadowrunners don't have sufficient resources, (either from backing or from accruing them over time) they don't belong in the biz. The will exceed what regular forces have.

I would put a team of Canada's Elite commandos against a squad of 50 regular soldiers.

If you paid attention to the post I quoted, you'd realize that both he and I were talking about special forces exclusively.
Yerameyahu
Oops, Platinum, I meant "you're assuming", not "we're". smile.gif Well, it amounts to the same thing. biggrin.gif
MortVent
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 12 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Both. I wouldnīt call them regular military. An example for a well-equipped merc force is MET2000. High-tech armies exist.

The question is how nation-states will build their forces. The high-tech army will deploy less soldiers, as an augmented fireteam can easily replace two unaugmented ones. Employment is a political issue, and small warrior castes have their own agendas. The runners can cope with numbers if allowed to fight dirty, but canīt reliably cope with an equal opponent.

I would keep the common unaugmented grunt for style reasons. There is a sufficient number of high-tech corp armies for the high-end games, and the army is closer to the level of the street for low-end games.

Indeed, unless someone is at least a Sgt or higher the ware given to them in a standard army should be limited to street legal gear.

After all why drop all that nuyen on a grunt that isn't at least going to see the military as a career?

You want to consider the fact they have to reintegrate into society as well.

With the corporate armies, they can go from army right to security forces. And vice versa for cross training.

I cna see many grunts maybe starting out as gangers with second hand ware joining and getting integrated as career soldiers in time too.

But the problem with most ware is going to be "what happens when PFC Beetle leaves the army? What happens to that investment in cyberware?"

Hence it is still going to be mostly non-cybered grunts, with gear to handle what ware does (maybe a bit more reliance on combat drugs)

D2F
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 12 2010, 09:05 PM) *

The reason I asked you, is because I thought you were implying that 2072's military had no special forces.

And quality is not everything. You also need numbers. You can't just dump everything you have into the best equipped units on the planet. It's not a video game, after all. You need quality AND quantity.

Also, it seems that some people thin nations in SR are broke. They are not. Their economy is in tatters and their governments corrupt, but your average nation STILL rakes in more cash than the Big 10. Their armies are larger than the corp armies, mostly because they have to actually defend a country, not just economic interests.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 12 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Several countries also enforce service requirements for all their citizens, such as the Sioux. Most of them will be unaugmented, but the ones who are lifers are more liable to get the serious body mods.

Outfitting them with an assault rifle and a set of light/medium military armor isn't going to break any national bank.
MortVent
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 12 2010, 03:16 PM) *
The reason I asked you, is because I thought you were implying that 2072's military had no special forces.

And quality is not everything. You also need numbers. You can't just dump everything you have into the best equipped units on the planet. It's not a video game, after all. You need quality AND quantity.

Also, it seems that some people thin nations in SR are broke. They are not. Their economy is in tatters and their governments corrupt, but your average nation STILL rakes in more cash than the Big 10. Their armies are larger than the corp armies, mostly because they have to actually defend a country, not just economic interests.

Lets look at it like this:

What benefit is there to implanting every soldier with smartlinks and cyber eyes when it is more cost effective to just mount the links and vision enhancements into helmets/goggles?

What happens when a soldier leaves the military (hint: it's not always a lifetime contract) with combat implants? How do you reintegrate a combat enhanced soldier into the general population?

There are drawback to cyberware implantations other than money you know. Especially for governments
Dumori
YOu could always just recycle the ware as second hand you leave say bye bye to the wires.
Mäx
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 12 2010, 10:16 PM) *
Also, it seems that some people thin nations in SR are broke. They are not. Their economy is in tatters and their governments corrupt, but your average nation STILL rakes in more cash than the Big 10.

Got somethink to backup that claim.
D2F
QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 12 2010, 09:24 PM) *
Lets look at it like this:

What benefit is there to implanting every soldier with smartlinks and cyber eyes when it is more cost effective to just mount the links and vision enhancements into helmets/goggles?

What happens when a soldier leaves the military (hint: it's not always a lifetime contract) with combat implants? How do you reintegrate a combat enhanced soldier into the general population?

There are drawback to cyberware implantations other than money you know. Especially for governments

I completely agree that your regular Grunt won't field much cyber, especially, when it can easily be replaced with cheaper solutions and equal performance, so what are we arguing about?
Critias
QUOTE (BobChuck @ Jul 12 2010, 01:35 PM) *
There's one problem I'm seeing with all of this.

Everyone is assuming that the Runners would be up against the U.S. Special Forces of 2072, or whatever. The future equivalent of "the best of the best of the best" of fighting forces out there. OF COURSE most Runner teams will get creamed, it's not even a question. It's like asking if a tricked-out armored car can take a tank - there's no contest. Escape and Evade, maybe, but defeat in anything approaching an even fight? no way.

Thing is, as far as I can tell, the "U.S. Special Forces" or "U.S. Marines" don't exist in 2072. No country has the resources to field forces of this caliper in any significant amount. The Corporations, which are the actual powers in the world, generally don't bother with standing armies - war is expensive.

So, what is actually being compared?

Uhh, no. Most of us are assuming the Runners would be up against just plain dog-faced infantry grunts. We're using a vaguely United States method of organization for them when it comes to what constitutes a fire team, a squad, a platoon, etc, but I know I, at least, was doing so for simplicity of naming convention. I don't think there are any massive differences in the organization between the U.S. military and most other first-world nations with standing armies -- Lieutenant vs. Leftenant notwithstanding.

None of us have been comparing them to "U.S. Special Forces," by a long shot. There are stats already there for those sort of high speed, low drag, specops guys -- Tir Ghosts, Sioux Wildcats, that sort of thing -- and this would be an entirely different conversation.

For the record, though, there are still sizable standing armies in both the UCAS and CAS, built off existing military doctrine and bases, populated by, logic dictates, men and women that were trained by existing UCAS and CAS military, trained by, logic dictates, current "real world" soldier-types in those armies. Every time the CAS and UCAS have been presented to us in nation-describing books -- perhaps with the exception of T6W Almanac which I don't have yet -- their militaries have been described along predictable, real world, US military lines.

What gave you the impression that they don't exist?
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 12 2010, 02:58 PM) *
My point was it's absurd to have to fight 30 goons who are all just lined up shooting at you. If I ever found a member of my group in that situation, I would try to find a humane way to spare them. As such, I'd just crib from your average action movie, and have some dude running haplessly through a cloud of bullets as they bust up the walls, windows, ground, etc. He'd probably have to soak one or two but he's not mercilessly whittled down to nothing.

If anyone in your group puts himself in a situation where he's fighting, solo, against a whole infantry platoon...uhh...isn't that more his fault than yours? Run your game how you want to, sure, but I can tell you right now that in my game, I'd be making thirty attack rolls and someone would be left bleeding out after doing the action movie machine-gun-dance (those fun slow-mo ten seconds where nothing but incoming fire is holding the guy up).

Depending on how on Earth the group sammie found himself in that position, it could even tell a fantastic story instead of seeming like the fist of an angry GM smacking him around. It seems like you'd have to work pretty hard to get thirty guys all shooting at you at once, maybe by offering yourself up to the enemy so the rest of your team could escape, or by serving as a distraction, or by finally deciding to end it all after your Essence dipped too low, and wanting to go out "clean" and to "warriors," or something...and isn't the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a powerful cinematic moment, even though it's not a happy ending?
Doc Chase
Mhm. The Bolivian Army Ending.
D2F
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 12 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Sorry, I caught your reply too late. My apologies.
What is "absurd" in m opinion is for him to get into that position in the first place. If a player is stupid enough to let his character piss off the Spikes, or the 162s, or the Crimson Crush badly enough for them to want to make an excemple out of him, he did not do so by accident. He had to do it on purpose. And it seems said player opted not to run. Bad choice. And as wel all know, Bad choices spell D-E-A-D.

I would not let him see the light of the day, if he was one of my player's characters.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (augmentin @ Jul 12 2010, 07:07 AM) *
Overly long post from a former grunt below:

I was a grunt (though granted, it was Marine Corps and we regularly out-ran, out-shot, and generally out-did "Rangers." - though "Rangers have undoubtedly better PR.)

Short version:
I expect the grunts unit would win except against very smart shadowrunners, who probably would be smart enough not to take on a platoon of regular infantry to begin with. The smarter shadowrunners would probably use tactics much like we are seeing Iraq: IEDs, use of the civilian population, and very, very rarely guerilla skirmishes and even then, mostly against their logistical support units.

EDIT: added bullets for readability

First off, Semper Fi, brother. I was in the Corps 10 years ago myself, though I was a spook rather than a grunt.

Second, lots of good info here. The reason I'm using a "squad" or even a "fire team" size, is that the runners are going into the ACHE, which is patrolled by the UCAS Army on some floors and the 'Plex Guard on others. Because its a small, enclosed space, a whole Platoon will be covering a sector of a floor, but a Squad (or even 2 Fireteams, Reinforced) would be the number of grunts walking around.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 12 2010, 08:51 PM) *
First off, Semper Fi, brother. I was in the Corps 10 years ago myself, though I was a spook rather than a grunt.

Second, lots of good info here. The reason I'm using a "squad" or even a "fire team" size, is that the runners are going into the ACHE, which is patrolled by the UCAS Army on some floors and the 'Plex Guard on others. Because its a small, enclosed space, a whole Platoon will be covering a sector of a floor, but a Squad (or even 2 Fireteams, Reinforced) would be the number of grunts walking around.

Oooh. Paranoid grunts.
Warlordtheft
Well it wouldn't even take 30. Five gangers pinned down the PC's in my most recent game (400 BP + lots of karma) in a private room atthe Big Rhino. It wasn't even close. The gangers had heavy pistols with smartlinks (total of 8 dice rolled with skills+attribute). It was not pretty..... dead.gif
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 12 2010, 05:04 AM) *
I would give them Armored jackets instead of armored vests and rating 5 commlinks. They are kmilitary and to me an "Armored Vest" in shadowrun is something to wear under regular clothing (which the rules expressively permit), so I'd hardly consider it a Flak Vest. Also, I would have every Soldier carry a Sidearm (Colt Government L36 or an FN 5-7C) with two extra clips. Other than that, I would agree with your assessment.

Generally speaking, Grunts don't carry sidearms into the field. No need to carry 2 different types of ammo (or even if they are the same, 2 different types of clips/mags). No need to carry a second weapon either. If you are in an open field environment, the lack of range is a severely limiting factor. In an urban setting, most carbines or SMGs are small enough to allow good mobility and control, while still using more effective rifle rounds.
Ryu
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 12 2010, 10:17 PM) *
Several countries also enforce service requirements for all their citizens, such as the Sioux. Most of them will be unaugmented, but the ones who are lifers are more liable to get the serious body mods.

Outfitting them with an assault rifle and a set of light/medium military armor isn't going to break any national bank.

Iīm much for making military armor common, and more available on the streets. There is something satisfying in power armor fights.

The camo suit is enough for units you donīt really expect to see battle anytime soon, like inland hometown garrisons.

And there is a Special Forces Trooper on pg. 88 of Cybertechnology.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jul 12 2010, 05:02 AM) *
I find your fireteam awfully inadequate for the 6th world especially for armor. They aren't even on par with standard Cops units, that laughable.

snip...

Also your fireteam lack AT capability (at least several discardable rocket launcher) and a dedicated Sniper. About Drone support, the arsenal mention an Ammo/Gear carrier that is supposed to go with the soldiers on the field.

Remember that a Fireteam is 4 or 5 people. AT support is handled by an entirely separate platoon altogether, who will attach themselves to a Grunt squad if they are expected to go up against armor.

As for Snipers, again, that's an entirely separate unit that handles those duties, and farms their people out as needed. Usually, thought, they operate in support of higher HQs mission, rather than the Squads or even the Platoon. There are troops known as "Designated Marksmen", who generally use scoped semi-auto rifles at medium ranges, where rapid firepower at range is more important than single shots from way far out.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 12 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Remember that a Fireteam is 4 or 5 people. AT support is handled by an entirely separate platoon altogether, who will attach themselves to a Grunt squad if they are expected to go up against armor.

Heh. A couple A1C's in a trailer in the middle of the desert, waiting for your radio chatter.

As for Snipers, again, that's an entirely separate unit that handles those duties, and farms their people out as needed. Usually, thought, they operate in support of higher HQs mission, rather than the Squads or even the Platoon. There are troops known as "Designated Marksmen", who generally use scoped semi-auto rifles at medium ranges, where rapid firepower at range is more important than single shots from way far out.

If you're doing this in the ACHE though, I'm thinking you're not going to need a DM since it's all enclosed combat. Unless you're in one of the atriums...
stevebugge
Way Tangent but what's the bets that in 2070 Mages get O-1 or better pay just for being a mage?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 12 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Way Tangent but what's the bets that in 2070 Mages get O-1 or better pay just for being a mage?

Hmmm. I'd agree with that, figuring that mages would have to go through OCS to get the proper astral training.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 12 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Isn't that when they send the E-1's to the Commisary for the Canned Steam to get the boiler going again?

Oh and while you're there get some headlight fluid for the Jeep and a stack of grid squares. grinbig.gif

One of my Staff Sergeants sent a PFC on a chase for a BA-1000 November form that took him half a day.
Stahlseele
Over here, the newbies are sent to get the key to the assembly area.
D2F
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 12 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Generally speaking, Grunts don't carry sidearms into the field. No need to carry 2 different types of ammo (or even if they are the same, 2 different types of clips/mags). No need to carry a second weapon either. If you are in an open field environment, the lack of range is a severely limiting factor. In an urban setting, most carbines or SMGs are small enough to allow good mobility and control, while still using more effective rifle rounds.

That makes sense.
augmentin
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 12 2010, 03:51 PM) *

1/3 Lava Dogs myself.

I'm not familiar with how ACHE fits into the setting, but in RL I'd envision it being handled by MSF. That is federal police on the inside, Marine Security Forces platoons patrolling the perimeter. Thing is, except for embassies, Marines are real well suited for guarding building interiors. As a general rule, "Marines take ground. Soldiers hold ground."
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 12 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Iīm much for making military armor common, and more available on the streets. There is something satisfying in power armor fights.

The camo suit is enough for units you donīt really expect to see battle anytime soon, like inland hometown garrisons.

And there is a Special Forces Trooper on pg. 88 of Cybertechnology.

Remember that the "Military Grade Armor" must be fitted to the wearer. I don't think every grunt would get this stuff. More than likely, they'll get a Camo Suit, or Full Body Armor. There is also the downside to wearing such highly rated armor, so I think that the Military Grade stuff would only be for specialized units.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (augmentin @ Jul 12 2010, 02:30 PM) *
1/3 Lava Dogs myself.

I'm not familiar with how ACHE fits into the setting, but in RL I'd envision it being handled by MSF. That is federal police on the inside, Marine Security Forces platoons patrolling the perimeter. Thing is, except for embassies, Marines are real well suited for guarding building interiors. As a general rule, "Marines take ground. Soldiers hold ground."

In my scenario, there are significant portions of the ACHE (Archology Community Housing Enclave) that are still under the jurisdiction of the UCAS Army, because despite the propaganda, they STILL haven't been completely pacified and/or some of the floors have things that the Federal Government doesn't want to let fall into anyone elses' hands. There's also a ton of other nasty stuff too, like bugs, shedim, and Tamanous that keeps the Army there.

Also, as much as it pained me to do so, I made the decision that with the split of the CAS, and the joining with Canada (not to mention the loss of both MCRDs), factions of the Army and Air Force finally were able to succeed in getting rid of the USMC for good. The tradition is being kept alive by the CAS (with many Marines informally calling themselves the "USMC" in things like cadence), who are looking forward to celebrating the Corps' 300th birthday soon.
Tzeentch
-- Former Marine here. 0511 Enlisted MAGTF Planner though, not a grunt, so keep in mind my perception is heavily influenced by logistics considerations. I post ome musings on this subject a long time ago that I've collected on my website. Note that most of those were written several years ago while I was active duty, and before I partipated in OEF/OIF and became very disillusioned with the current technofetish trend (e.g. Tom Clancy type bullshit).

QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jul 12 2010, 05:18 AM) *
What are the comparative strength levels of a Regular Military squad vs. a Shadowrunner team? Should one necessarily be able to dominate the other the majority of the time in an even match? How would a typical infantry squad (not a SpecOps squad like Ghosts, Delta, or Wildcats) be outfitted, specifically as regards armor? What is the norm? Armor Jacket/Camo Suit? Security Armor? Light Military Grade Armor?

-- First off, you need to start associating "Shadowrunners" with "special ops" because in all but the most gritty street level game they really are a special elite in stats, skills, equipment availability, and psychological prepation to commit violence. A shadowrunner group with mage and hacker support will RIP APART any plausible conventional military unit: jamming their comms, jacking their own drones, making headshots at a thousand paces, mind controlling their officers, etc.

-- Second, I can recommend that you skim through the Small Wars Journal site and read their forums. They have some exceptional resources on there that can be adapted. For example, I got a lot of use from the thread "Weight of Combat Gear is Taking Toll"

Armor
-- There is not a "no casualities at any price" attitude that I can discern in Shadowrun, so right off the bat you need to be very careful about taking modern US military trends and applying it to Shadowrun. It is extremely unlikely that miltiary grade armor (Arsenal, p. 50) is common at all -- the requirement that it be custom tailored pretty much kills it except in special ops units (and even there it's a problem).

-- Something akin to SWAT Armor (Arsenal, p. 49) strikes me as far more likely an analog to the current protective systems.

Communications
-- The ECM/ECCM environment in Shadowrun is SERIOUS BAD NEWS for modern conceptions of C4I. Troops probably have high-rated comm systems that are reasonably SOTA (in fact, that's probably the only thing they use that is!) but Tom Clancy micromanagement is a recipe for disaster with wireless hackers around. I suspect a military commlink will be something like an Renraku Airware (Signal is more important than Response, good price point) with a custom OS that strongly emphasizes Firewall Rating). Probably has skinlink and subvocal mic. All together this is a pretty inexpensive bit of kit, and is largely off-the-shelf. A simrig is asking for trouble in most cases.

Electronics
-- Goggles with Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, and Smartlnk. Drop the Smartlink for militia armies (that 500 nuyen adds up FAST in bulk purchases).
-- Earbuds with Select Sound Filter

Weapon System
-- Money to blow: XM30 type system.
-- More reasonable: AK-97 or FN-HAR (neither smartlinked). The M22A3 (Arsenal, p. 26) also isn't half bad.
-- Probable: As most operations are in urban areas I suspect that the carbine will continue to be popular, so more stuff like the Praetor (Arsenal, pp. 24-25).

Other Crap
-- Gas Mask is useful to have on you due to the effectiveness of various SR chemtech. But it's actually fairly expensive.
-- Slap Patches get much love.

Understanding that the T/O doesn't allow for a mage to back-up every squad, what does the typical squad use to protect themselves against a single mage with an overcasted powerbolt from wiping them out, especially in a vehicle?

-- Good communication to identify high-priority targets and hit them hard and fast before you get geeked. If they can, avoid direct contact and use supporting fires (drones, artillery, mortars, etc). Think of a mage like a small, fairly squishy tank. Something not encountered all the time, but extremely dangerous when it's around and requiring a lot of training and forethought to tackle.

Doc Chase
Hasn't fluff had the M22A3 the main rifle of the UCAS since the Street Sam Catalog?
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 12 2010, 02:12 PM) *

I've actually always imagined it similar to the Army's Aviation program. Those with demonstrable magical ability have a warrant officer program that they can apply for right out of high school. There would be a "Magic Pay" bonus similar to the current foreign language bonus, which pays more for certain specializations and/or grades of initiation. Warrant Officers form the bulk of the Thaum Corps who are providing magical support on the field, running Astral Overwatch, or summoning support spirits. Mages who possess a BA or BS in Thaumaturgy can go the Officer route and be put into leadership positions, over both magical and non-magical personnel alike. Adepts with no college degree can enlist and go through basic training, then undergo a Warrant Officer program for Magical Support Staff in whatever field they choose (I once made a retired Warrant Officer who was an adept and had powers focused on Intelligence, Tactical, and Logistical analysis).
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 12 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Hasn't fluff had the M22A3 the main rifle of the UCAS since the Street Sam Catalog?

-- It's not mentioned as such in Arsenal. Wouldn't really surprise me though, it's a good weapon and Shadowrun gun technology pretty much hasn't changed since First Edition anyways.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 12 2010, 02:46 PM) *
-- Former Marine here. 0511 Enlisted MAGTF Planner though, not a grunt, so keep in mind my perception is heavily influenced by logistics considerations. I post ome musings on this subject a long time ago that I've collected on my website. Note that most of those were written several years ago while I was active duty, and before I partipated in OEF/OIF and became very disillusioned with the current technofetish trend (e.g. Tom Clancy type bullshit).

Thanks for the input. I think I've said it to you before here, but, Semper Fi brother. I was an 0231 who got out just prior to OIF.

I'm actually thinking of putting together a T/O from the ground up (starting with fire team and working upward) for equipment and roles, working with a friend of mine who's an 0351 and just got out... and a gamer.

You want in?
stevebugge
Another thing to keep in mind when equipping your military units in game is that the purchase of specific gear is often a Political Consideration. Just because one piece of gear is better than another doesn't mean the regulars will have it.

Say your regular army happens to be the Tsimshan Nation (gone by 2072, but they make a good example) who is mortgaged up to their eyeballs to Mitsuhama, do you think they will be sporting Renraku Comms? Heck No, nor are they likely to be carrying Ares Alphas. They are going to have a lot of gear from their patron corp. Same goes for Aztechnology / Aztlan. UCAS gets trickier as the procurement is done by the Pentagon with a lot of micromanaging by Congressmen who want to get money back to their districts to get re-elected. (note to GM's Corps & Politicos working together to sabotage ecahother's earmakrs make great runs)
Tzeentch
-- Sure, but note that I'm more worried about stuff like "would this fit on a 463L pallet" (or the future Shadowrun equivalent) and "how many batteries per day would this require." (oh god the horror stories about the BA5590 batteries during OIF!) smile.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 12 2010, 03:02 PM) *
-- Sure, but note that I'm more worried about stuff like "would this fit on a 463L pallet" (or the future Shadowrun equivalent) and "how many batteries per day would this require." (oh god the horror stories about the BA5590 batteries during OIF!) smile.gif

These sorts of requirements often go in to procurement contracts to assure certain winners, it's quite likely that Ares supplies the UCAS with Pallets, the Trucks they load to, and the crates of Rifle ammo that go on them. An you better believe that those pallets don't fit Steyr Ammo crates neatly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012