Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Empathy Software > 4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Yerameyahu
If runners are the only people running around with a dozen Signal 6 items, then you'd expect guards to figure that out real fast. His example, after all, was more than a little tongue-in-cheek, but I think you're underestimating the reactive nature of the setting. He's *not* suggesting that the GM 'tell' the enemy their magic items and tactics; he's suggesting that runners use optimal gear (a minor Dumpshock joke, I assumed), and that the NPCs would guess this.
KarmaInferno
Personally, I would say that Emotitoys are a Peripheral Device, with a boosted System rating but all other ratings standard.

That would put it at a Device Rating of 3, like most other electronics of it's range, but allow the System Rating to be as high as needed for the software, up to 6.

It also can ONLY run the custom Empathy software that it comes with. No using it as a substitute Commlink.

Yeah. That's a house-rule, because they're supposed to be drones, but I think it's a good one. No one really needs to be rigging one, anyway. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 14 2010, 01:27 PM) *
Yes, metagaming is the worst form of GM cheating and asshattery, and I'll be glad to tell you why.

A GM is already empowered to bend the rules, and that's ok. But taking player knowledge and giving it to the NPC's is flat-out cheating, especially since you'd never let the PC's get away with the same thing. A problem GM I know in a 3.5 game had every NPC know the exact magic items, favored spells, and preferred tactics of the party, because supposedly someone spied on them once. Saying that you can infer from one high Signal rating that they're Shadowrunners, and know everything down to their ammo type, is CHEATING!! And not in a good way-- in a way that'd make me never want to play in your games, and tell others to avoid your games. I mean, come on! "They've got a signal rating of 3, so that means they're standard grunts with AR's, no special ammo, and armor jackets." Would you seriously let the PC's get away with that?

No one likes a cheater. And if you're not capable of telling the difference between GM leeway and cheating, I really don't want to play in your games.

So let me get this straight, just to be on the same page here...

If my character spends time observing his opposition, obtaining information on his hangouts, his preferences, his equipment, his operational tactics, his spell selections, and his tactics, then I am Cheating? If that is not the case, then why would it be cheating for an NPC to perform the same surveillance to acquire the same information? And, having gathered that information, why would it be cheating to pass it along to his allies so that they will be prepared whenever they encounter said character (Ad infinitum, of course).

It is not the Fault of a GM if characters become predictable in their operations, spell useage, equipment choices, or tactics.

Just sayin'
KarmaInferno
If the NPC has a good reason he might know about the gear, tactics, or special factors of a PC, then it's just a smart NPC that prepares.

If the NPC has no good reason he'd know about a particular thing that a PC has or does, but the NPC still gets to act like he does, it's GM meta-gaming.

For example. I have A PC that has on occasion planted explosives ahead of time around a meeting site if he suspects an ambush. So far, he's never had to use them, and quietly retrieves them after so there's no evidence left behind. He's VERY careful about keeping it a secret - most of the time not even his team-mates know about them.

If a brand new Johnson he's never met mysteriously just "knows" about the explosives, well, I'm probably going to suspect meta-gaming on the part of the GM.

Players can do the meta-game thing too, of course. It's bad game-pay in either case.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 14 2010, 01:49 PM) *
If the NPC has a good reason he might know about the gear, tactics, or special factors of a PC, then it's just a smart NPC that prepares.

If the NPC has no good reason he'd know about a particular thing that a PC has or does, but the NPC still gets to act like he does, it's GM meta-gaming.

Players can do the meta-game thing too, of course.

For example. I have A PC that has on occasion planted explosives ahead of time around a meeting site if he suspects an ambush. So far, he's never had to use them, and quietly retrieves them after so there's no evidence left behind.

If a brand new Johnson he's never met mysteriously knows about the explosives, well, I'm probably going to suspect meta-gaming on the part of the GM.

It could also be because he set up surveillance on the site to protect himself as well, and you were caught on tape while setting explosives... But I do agree with you... Random Knowledge is annoying... purposeful knowledge has a point. One that the character may not be (or never will be) aware of...
Grinder
Back on topic, please - open up a new thread to discuss the pros and cons of meta-gaming. If nothing more is to be said about Empathy Software, Device Rating etc. let this thread die down. That doesn't mean you should repeat the same shit over and over again.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 14 2010, 04:51 PM) *
It could also be because he set up surveillance on the site to protect himself as well, and you were caught on tape while setting explosives... But I do agree with you... Random Knowledge is annoying... purposeful knowledge has a point. One that the character may not be (or never will be) aware of...
You are correct.

Which is why the character in question has chameleon suit, thermal damping, Improved Invis, Masking, Silence, and chemical seal to keep his body odors at a minimum.

wobble.gif

[edit] Whoops, okay, I'm done here.

Edit: Dang, posted before reading the above warning. One good Stuart Smalley quote down the tubes.
Grinder
Handed out another round of warnings, what gets this thread locked for good as posted prior.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012