Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Legends (new sourcebook announced by CGL)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 25 2011, 04:18 PM) *
Haven't tried much, and those attempts I've made have shown that it doesn't like me. When I have some more time, I'll deal with it a little more; in the meantime, I'll just keep on keeping on.

Ah, okay, just curious ^^
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 25 2011, 06:11 PM) *
I haven't, as well. How do you do it?

Minding that it's 2 pages long, the optimal length for it would be -6 pages, in your opinion?

Also, suddenly I like the iron cage idea...

Kinda like that O.o
Fatum
Uh, I mean, how do I quote a quote from someone else's post?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 25 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Minding that it's 2 pages long, the optimal length for it would be -6 pages, in your opinion?

For me, it just entered on its 7th page. It's all about the number of posts per page that you set.
Mäx
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 25 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Uh, I mean, how do I quote a quote from someone else's post?

Thats pyramid quoting(assuming i understood you correctly) not multi quoting and thse forums seem to have an anti pyramid quotes code implemented in to the quote function.
So if you want to make a pyramid quote, just multi quote the original post and the one quoting it and then just cut&paste the first quote inside the second quote tags.
Fatum
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 25 2011, 11:53 PM) *
Thats pyramid quoting(assuming i understood you correctly) not multi quoting and thse forums seem to have an anti pyramid quotes code implemented in to the quote function.
So if you want to make a pyramid quote, just multi quote the original post and the one quoting it and then just cut&paste the first quote inside the second quote tags.
A chore...
BookWyrm
*My* question is; is "Street Legends" going to be strictly PDF, or also include a print version?
Bull
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 25 2011, 03:44 PM) *
*My* question is; is "Street Legends" going to be strictly PDF, or also include a print version?

Print

Bull
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 25 2011, 05:44 PM) *

Big books usually have dead-tree format along with the digital one.
Only the shorter ones are digital format only.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ May 25 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Print

Bull

Take into consideration this is from a guy that still won't let go of his Cyberdeck, people. nyahnyah.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 25 2011, 09:45 PM) *
Take into consideration this is from a guy that still won't let go of his Cyberdeck, people. nyahnyah.gif

Bah, Decking on a celphone.

BAH!

DECKS RULE!!!
Bull
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ May 25 2011, 06:00 PM) *
Bah, Decking on a celphone.

BAH!

DECKS RULE!!!

You rule, Wak smile.gif

But, also take it from someone who's also doing a minor bit of writing for the book. (I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to submit for, but... Missions, Convention work, and my day job really put a crimp on my available free time)

Bull
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Bull @ May 25 2011, 11:07 PM) *
You rule, Wak smile.gif

But, also take it from someone who's also doing a minor bit of writing for the book. (I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to submit for, but... Missions, Convention work, and my day job really put a crimp on my available free time)

Bull

I need to get off my duff and get an invite back to the freelancers hub. Two submissions anded like lead balloons and I got seduced into another game while drowning my sorrows in diet cola. Diet, man! There's been a whole change of bodies out there since my last toe-dip in and I think I've got my confidence back enough to start hittng the ol' word processor again.

Now I just need to see if I can find the contact info again. Ugh.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Bull @ May 25 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Print

Bull

What Bull said. Print. And full color print at that.

Jason H.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 25 2011, 09:11 AM) *
I haven't, as well. How do you do it?

Firefox, tabs, plus copy and paste. The middle mouseclick/control+leftclick trick is handy for this.

But that's mostly because i like being able to type out a response to each quote, and doing a ginormous post in one window involves scrolling up and down to see the whole picture.
Grinder
A first preview is up: http://www.shadowrun4.com/wp-content/uploa...ends_SAMPLE.pdf
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Well, Apparently no Fastjack, but at least we get Bull... smile.gif
LurkerOutThere
Well we have a table of contents, que complaining about the content therof.

Serious Sticks is a street legend but Picador or Fastjack isn't?
Stahlseele
Sticks?
Who?
LurkerOutThere
He was AH's pet character, who conveniently knew about everything due to his tragic history as a chicago survivor / mafia runner/ mercenary/ knight errant patrollman/ adept /shadowrunner. I wish I was making this up.
Bull
Be nice.

There were a LOT of character choices for this book, and only so much space. And when it was solicited, there wasn't a hard list of "THese characters MUST be in the book". It was solicited as "Which characters are you interested in writing?". The list is also not all runners. It's a mix of runners, fixers, corp big wigs, etc. Power Players in the Shadows, characters that can and do effect things. But they're not all Shadowrunners.

And as a note, while I'm tickled pink Bull is in the book, and I had a blast writing him up (And trying to find ways to make some of his more... outlandish history "fit" within canon Shadowrun), I didn't even submit a proposal for him. I had said he'd be fun to do, but I wasn't sure I'd have the time to do him up. But Jason sent me an email saying "Here's a contract, write him up!"

Fastjack should be in there. But... Fastjack is daunting. I'd be terrified to tackle him. Same goes with a fair number of runners out there.

That said, everyone knows there are missing some major names. And there's been a fair bit of discussion about ways to do more characters.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Thanks for Sharing Bull... smile.gif
LurkerOutThere
I have been obligated to do many things over the course of my life be nice has never made the list, tell the truth however got preached a lot. smile.gif I'm old enough to know know that some truths are subjective, this one in particular I just call it like I see it.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 16 2011, 01:37 AM) *
He was AH's pet character, who conveniently knew about everything due to his tragic history as a chicago survivor / mafia runner/ mercenary/ knight errant patrollman/ adept /shadowrunner. I wish I was making this up.

So . . wait . . one of AH's creations was used in this? oy vey . .
CanRay
OK, I can get behind FastJack not being in the book. This guy specifically has a hobby of erasing his entire history (Right beside Tai Chi and proving he's the best 70+ Year Old Hacker/Decker/Hacker on the planet!), so trying to do any kind of write-up on him would only be done from his own personal point of view, which would be suspect at best. That said, he'd probably be better suited for spandex than Bull for sure.

But, Kellan Colt? Really? I was thinking it was best to forget that time?
Critias
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 15 2011, 06:24 PM) *
Serious Sticks is a street legend but Picador or Fastjack isn't?

If you were Fastjack -- paranoid and canny as he's been shown to be, for the last 20+ years -- would you host a file about your background and abilities for your JackPoint buddies to read?
Psikerlord
looking forward to this - prime runners was one of my favourite books. It gives GMs a better idea of what top level dudes can be like, which in turn helps the GM/PCs choose a power level preference for their game.
CanRay
HEY! Just thought of something... With Bull's stats being included, we'll see how Cyberdecks deal with the new Wireless world!!!
Bull
Bull's Stats have been in Missions several times now, actually. And, well... Bull has a commlink. A pretty kickass one too. He just keeps it inside his cyberdeck case. smile.gif

I couldn't really work this into Street Legends, but it's been mentioned at least in passing in one or two Missions adventures. Bull doesn't keep his Commlink turned on most of the time. He's got a couple disposables that he uses when he needs to have a commlink active. WHen he does need to hack, or break out his "Deck", he jacks into it, then turns it on. He doesn't trust wireless. It's too easy to break wireless connections, and way too easy for the script kiddies who don;t actually know anything to hack with some cheap, off the shelf programs. He figures that as long as he's jacked into the "deck", anyone that wants to hack it has to go through him first.

Bull
CanRay
*Sighs* If I could run, I'd get the Missions, but I can't make myself contemplate the cost. frown.gif

And, well, I'm full with Bull (The Character) on the Skript Kiddie thing.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 15 2011, 06:57 PM) *
If you were Fastjack -- paranoid and canny as he's been shown to be, for the last 20+ years -- would you host a file about your background and abilities for your JackPoint buddies to read?

There needs to be a break between what's good for the setting and good for the customer, plus you can do a lot of hand waving. Fastjack's file could be prefaced with. "Cap found this a few years ago while mining some restricted database or another" it's dated enougth that i'm more comfortable releasing it now and it wasn't completely accurate to begin with. Out of respect to the late captain i'm also not going to filter the conjecture in the comments but I'm also not going to confirm any of it either."

Then midway down through the commentary Slam-O can suggest that Fastjack is actually a sentient AI created by Jane in the Box at big D's request etc etc.

CanRay
Or, you know, he could stick true to his character and kill everything, which is both good to the setting and good to the customer. It'd be a major break of concept for FastJack to suddenly open up about himself.

Remember, this is the guy THAT NO ONE HAS SEEN! The only evidence we have that he even leaves the house is that he has a daughter and a sister (Whose brats he took to Disney.). And even that can be circumspect considering the source.
Grinder
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 16 2011, 02:48 AM) *
OK, I can get behind FastJack not being in the book. This guy specifically has a hobby of erasing his entire history (Right beside Tai Chi and proving he's the best 70+ Year Old Hacker/Decker/Hacker on the planet!), so trying to do any kind of write-up on him would only be done from his own personal point of view, which would be suspect at best. That said, he'd probably be better suited for spandex than Bull for sure.

But, Bull? Really?

Fixed.

Seriously, I'm not a fan of Writer-PCs appearing in that book.
LurkerOutThere
RE: Fastjack

Or they could just do an entirely out of character piece on him to go with the one line "Nice Try" - FJ piece in the in character section ala the old threats book. Honestly we have sections of the metapot expounded on by chat conversations between immortal power players and dragons lifted by dissonant otaku but folks have trouble wrapping their heads about someone having a threat profile on the planets greatest living hacker?

Critias
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 16 2011, 02:04 AM) *
RE: Fastjack

Or they could just do an entirely out of character piece on him to go with the one line "Nice Try" - FJ piece in the in character section ala the old threats book. Honestly we have sections of the metapot expounded on by chat conversations between immortal power players and dragons lifted by dissonant otaku but folks have trouble wrapping their heads about someone having a threat profile on the planets greatest living hacker?

It's not so much that folks have trouble wrapping their head around something; it just makes for a reasonable in-universe explanation for why he's not there. The plain truth is there's more than twenty years of characters to try and fit in, and you can't fit all of them. Everyone is someone's favorite, so there's always going to be some fans disappointed about who got left out. Not every legend is in there, there was a desire for a few fresh faces amidst the more (in)famous ones, there was a need for a mixture of character types, etc, etc, etc.

"Because FastJack is too fucking paranoid to share a file about himself" is as good an in-game reason as any to justify why he's not there.
LurkerOutThere
But again, the universe does not begin and end with Jackpoint but since Fastjack is billed as the greatest hacker on the planet he is exactly the kind of person that needs a profile even if it doesn't contain his attributes or the stats on comlink there aught to be some writeup on him rather then the bogyman of dumpshock.

Just my two nuyen.
Critias
A write up without attributes or gear isn't really what Street Legends is all about. I mean, we're statting up fucking Lofwyr in it, and Fastjack was gonna get a pass and no statline or electronics? Not gonna happen.

*shrugs*

Like I said, we just couldn't fit in everyone we would've liked to fit in. It's not a slight against anyone who's not in the book, or anything. I'm not saying you're not allowed to be disappointed at his absence (there are a few other characters I'd have liked to be seen in there, myself), or anything...just trying to explain a little about why he's not in there, is all, and offering up an in-universe explanation to go along with it.
CanRay
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 16 2011, 01:30 AM) *
Seriously, I'm not a fan of Writer-PCs appearing in that book.
With the potential for Mary/Marty Sue's, I can certainly see why. But the preview seems to give Bull a pretty good background and history behind him, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

Of course, I'll smack him down all the harder if he turns out to be so. Just a head's up, Bull.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 16 2011, 01:38 AM) *
A write up without attributes or gear isn't really what Street Legends is all about. I mean, we're statting up fucking Lofwyr in it, and Fastjack was gonna get a pass and no statline or electronics? Not gonna happen.

*shrugs*

Like I said, we just couldn't fit in everyone we would've liked to fit in. It's not a slight against anyone who's not in the book, or anything. I'm not saying you're not allowed to be disappointed at his absence (there are a few other characters I'd have liked to be seen in there, myself), or anything...just trying to explain a little about why he's not in there, is all, and offering up an in-universe explanation to go along with it.

Well right, but someones point is "This character would never allow himself to be detailed on jackpoint." My point is even if it's not delivered via a Jackpoint entry Fastjack is more of an important "Street Legend" then Sticks, or Bull, Or Tommy Talon. I realize that not everyone can be covered but you call it street legends and then say "oh we're not going to cover this guy because he's so awesome nothing is written about him"

Critias
I'm not trying to argue, just trying to offer the actual OOC reason and a convenient icing of IC reason, as well. We're obviously just sort of talking past each other at this point, so okay. *shrugs* Sorry you don't like the preview, sorry you don't like Fastjack's absence, and I hope you'll still enjoy the rest of the book.
LurkerOutThere
Your right about us talking past each other and for that I apologize. I've just got done reading the preview completely and I am definitely interested in more, here's hoping there are copies to be had at Gencon.
Tycho
I really don't care who is in this book, because if the authors are unable to provide correct stats or adequate stats, it really doesn't matter...

Rigger X: His stats are just bad, for a "legendary" rigger. And still there are technical mistakes in the skill ratings and conceptional mistakes like giving him a high Reaction, because this is just pointless for a jumped in rigger.
Overall its just stupid and useless (as expected), because obviously there nobody left who has the rules-knowledge of what they are doing (as expected)...

cya
Tycho
ggodo
QUOTE (Tycho @ Jul 16 2011, 06:26 AM) *
I really don't care who is in this book, because if the authors are unable to provide correct stats or adequate stats, it really doesn't matter...

Rigger X: His stats are just bad, for a "legendary" rigger. And still there are technical mistakes in the skill ratings and conceptional mistakes like giving him a high Reaction, because this is just pointless for a jumped in rigger.
Overall its just stupid and useless (as expected), because obviously there nobody left who has the rules-knowledge of what they are doing (as expected)...

cya
Tycho

Yeah, I thought Rigger X looked a bit weak as well,, but I don't think we can calll him indicative of the rest of the book.

In slightly related news, when does artifacts unbound come out? Is there a date on that yet?
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Tycho @ Jul 16 2011, 07:26 AM) *

I'll go give it a look again but could it be possible that as a legendary rigger he wants to be prepared if he has to drive a vehicle without a rigger interface and therefore wants a high reaction. Or he doesn't want to get shot while out of his vehicle and therefore wants a high reaction? Is that really so hard to swallow?

Personally if i lived in the sixth world no matter what my reputation was if money wasn't an object i'd have the highest reaction I possibly could, pound for pound it is the keep you alive stat, more so in many ways then body.
ggodo
Oh, yeah, I'm not against his reaction, I just thought that he'd be a bit more intimidating. he's got some high skills, though. Really high skills. How does he have 8 in skills? I will say that he has an impressive gear list, and that's what makes a rigger.
Fikealox
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jul 16 2011, 11:49 PM) *
I will say that he has an impressive gear list, and that's what makes a rigger.

Unfortunately, that list isn't presented in anything like a readable format. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy, read and enjoy Street Legends, but that gear list makes my eyes glaze over.
ggodo
Yeah, it took too much effort to understand. Impressive, but unusably formatted.
Starglyte
When I saw the gear list for Rigger X, the first thing I thought of was the Exalted Dreams of the First Age Charm lists for the iconic Solars. (shudder).
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 15 2011, 08:18 PM) *
So . . wait . . one of AH's creations was used in this? oy vey . .

Quick note about that. When the call was put out there for Jackpoint members, early in SR4, it was made pretty clear that once a character was part of Jackpoint, it was open use for any of the freelancers and developers to further the story with in any particular way. Which was part of the reason I didn't pitch my "personal" character, Demonseed Elite (even though he did appear in some SR3 books).

I did pitch Fianchetto, though, and he made it into the Jackpoint cast list. But he was just an idea of mine, not anything I'd consider a personal character.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Starglyte @ Jul 16 2011, 05:25 PM) *
When I saw the gear list for Rigger X, the first thing I thought of was the Exalted Dreams of the First Age Charm lists for the iconic Solars. (shudder).

Is Exalted the new Rifts now? (not that White Wolf do not have a long history of insane NPCs)
Marwynn
I hope it's not too late to reformat those lists. I don't list my character's gear like that. My head would 'splode.

If it has stats, we can kill it. And that's fine, these are legends but legends (and dragons) can still die. What happened to 99 Bottles?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012