Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: The Sun Never Sets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
AtroposReborn
Such wonderfully complex rules. I'm glad you guys know what you're doing; I'd be quite lost in all of this Magic mumbo jumbo. biggrin.gif Also, Tec would you mind doing my Willpower roll for me? The dice program won't open on my work computer. What horrid timing for my internet to be down.
phlapjack77
Tecumseh, just make sure to use Stogie's name when you roll for Ellesar smile.gif
pbangarth
That'll be 100 ¥ per roll of the dice, please.
Tecumseh
For giggles, I ran a dice rolling test to compare the effectiveness of Stogie's name. I rolled 100 times under Ellesar's name and 100 times under Stogie's name. (50 rolls is Invisible Castle's maximum so I rolled each name twice.)

Stogie's name won with an average of 1.06 hits. Ellesar's average was 1.03. However, given the sample sizes and the standard deviations of the results, the difference is NOT statistically significant at any confidence level. That's good news for Invisible Castle's random number generator.

Ellesar, here's your official Willpower roll. Shocker: 1 HIT

Having researched the issue on the forums, it seems like my interpretation of the counterspelling rules is the less common one (but not unheard of). I still need to decide whether I want to house rule it going forward, but for now we'll be using the following results:

Stogie: 2 hits Willpower + 3 hits Counterspelling = 5 hits
Jake: 2 hits Willpower + 3 hits Counterspelling = 5 hits
Smohalla: 1 hit Willpower + 3 hits Counterspelling = 4 hits
Ellesar: 1 hit Willpower + 3 hits Counterspelling = 4 hits
Watcher #1: 0 hits Willpower = 3 hits Counterspelling = 3 hits
Watcher #2: 0 hits Willpower + 3 hits Counterspelling = 3 hits

The beast spirit was not targeted as it was outside the area of effect.

This is the spell you were resisting: 7 HITS, but capped at 5 by the spell's Force. The spell you were trying to resist is Healthy Glow Mass Confusion.

Smohalla and Ellesar, you are now at a -1 dice pool modifier due to the "storm of conflicting sensations and images to confuse the senses." (A very small storm, under the circumstances.)

The Watchers are now under a dice pool modifier of -2, which should consume any dice they have to do anything meaningful. They're tripping the light fantastic.

Here's what happens next. Technically it's the second initiative pass, and I'm going to say that the two spirits (Smohalla's beast spirit and the opposition's earth spirit) duke it out on the astral, per their preprogrammed instructions. I'm guessing that neither of them will finish the other off in one turn, so I'm going to fast-forward a bit and ask for initiative rolls for the second combat turn. I'll take care of the spirits' rolls, plus the rolls for Atropos and Phlapjack until they inform me otherwise. Once we have the rolls (by which I mean pbangarth's), including the results of the spirits' tête à tête, we'll start resolving the first initiative pass. Please start to think about what you might want to do.
phlapjack77
Great stuff!

Currently pondering options...
AtroposReborn
Let the fun begin.
pbangarth
Jake's Initiative 8 dice ==> 1 HIT = 9

Jake will activate the Adept powers of Attribute Boost (BOD, REA) as a simple action (I'll roll these if they become relevant), and then focus his attention to the other end of the party, to see if anything comes from there too.

Stogie's Initiative 8 dice ==> 1 HIT = 9

Seeing as the troll is now visible, Stogie will drop his astral sight as a Free Action, raise his AGI as a Simple Action and take a shot, if he can get a clear one, moving slightly if necessary, at the troll.

Boost [AGI] MAG 7 + 1 power = 8 dice ==> 5 HITS!!! ==> AGI is 8.

Shot (if clear) at the troll with the Enfield AS-7 (7P , AP -1):

AGI 8 + Longarms(shotgun) 4 + lasersight 1 = 13 dice ==> 6 HITS
phlapjack77
Stogie's rolls continue to thumb their nose at statistical significance smile.gif
Tecumseh
Indeed. Since the beginning of the game, Stogie's been rolling 40% successes. But in the last 10 days, it's been 46%. That said, there will be some negative modifiers to cut dice off this pool. That is, if he's still alive to shoot.

The troll - it is Infected, but "troll" is easier to write than Dzoo-Noo-Qua - is still under the spirit's Concealment power. The troll dropped its invisibility spell but there will still be some visibility modifiers which I need to look up. It actually might be easier to shoot the troll while aiming on the astral, even with that negative modifier and the loss of the laser sight bonus. There might be a distance modifier too, depending on who acts first.

I'll try to get the rolls up tomorrow. I usually do this type of thing at lunch or during slow moments at work but I'm expecting tomorrow to be busy. Stay tuned!
pbangarth
Yeah, I wasn't sure what modifiers applied, so I figured Tecumseh could work it out.

Beats me why the rolls have been so good. As I said earlier, though, sooner or later I will pay for it. As far as statistical significance goes, I think the number of rolls has been too small to say anything significant. It just looks like I have power over the machine.

Mwaaaahahahaaaaa!
Tecumseh
I don't think I can get to everything right now but here's a start.

Earth Spirit Initiative: 13
Beast Spirit Initiative: 14

Beast Spirit goes first. Second initiative pass:

Beast Spirit attacks: 3 hits
Earth Spirit defends: 3 hits, no damage

Earth attacks: 0 hits
No need for beast spirit to defend.

All this is taking place on the astral so I believe they get 3 IPs. Third pass:

Beast attacks: 4 hits
Earth defends: 5 hits, no damage

Earth attacks: 4 hits
Beast defends: 2 hits, base damage is 2 + 2 hits = beast takes 4 boxes of damage

I don't have time to post an IC exchange of this right now but I will. This is my first time doing astral combat so let me know if you see anything amiss. It seems pretty straightforward, but in Shadowrun that usually means that you're doing something wrong (i.e. if it's simple, you don't understand it).
Tecumseh
Initiative for the second combat turn. I forgot to subtract the negative modifiers before making the rolls. The order would remain the same even if I rerolled those dice so I'm going to leave it be:

Material World
Ellesar = 10 + 4 hits - 1 distraction = 13
Smohalla = 8 + 4 hits - 1 distraction = 11
Stogie = 8 + 1 hit = 9
Jake = 8 + 1 hit = 9
Toothy = 6 + 2 hits - 2 sustaining = 6

Astral Plane
Earth Spirit = 10 + 3 hits = 13
Beast Spirit = 10 + 1 hit - 1 (damage) = 10

Ellesar, you're up!
AtroposReborn
I shall try not to disappoint.

Ellesar is going to be firing at the troll. If he needs to move a bit to be in line-of-sight then that will be his Simple Action. Otherwise no need to waste time.

AGI 4 + Longarms (Sporting Rifles) 5 = 9 dice >>> 7 hits

Sounds like a good start to me. cool.gif Hopefully I didn't forget anything.
phlapjack77
Nice roll! smile.gif
AtroposReborn
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Mar 26 2012, 06:09 AM) *
Nice roll! smile.gif

Thanks. It wouldn't have been so late if I could use the dice program at work. Oh well, I'm content just to play.
pbangarth
Stogie's shot is rolled above, in case it is needed. Jake will watch to the rear (front) for any surprises.

I will be away from my computer till Friday. If I get a chance to check in, I will, but chances are I will be off the grid completely as of Tuesday afternoon. Hope I find us alive when I return!
Tecumseh
Pbangarth, thanks for letting us know.

Atropos, moving to get the shot is only a free action so you have another simple action available. Your rifle is single-shot but you could use the extra action to take aim, if you liked.

The rules aren't entirely clear on the modifiers so I'm going to wing it a bit. Your target is still partially concealed by its spirit as well as under partial cover from the dense terrain. Together I'm going to call that a -4 modifier. However, he is a large target (8+ body) so that's a +1 modifier.

It's a short-range shot for Ellesar but a medium range shot for Stogie, so that will cost Stogie an additional -1.

Ellesar, your current modifier is -3. If you'd like to spend your second simple action aiming, it will become -2. What I do in this case is to roll the difference in dice (2 or 3) and then to subtract any hits from the hits you previously achieved. You can make that roll if you like or I can, whatever your preference. Either way it looks like you'll end up with a good number of hits.

phlapjack77
Ellesar and Smohalla also are still suffering the effects of the confusion spell (I think?), a further -1 for both of us.

I've seen the modifier situation in other Pbp games being resolved by just subtracting the difference. So if a -2 dice pool modifier would have applied to an already-rolled roll, then subtract the last two dice in the sequence on the Invisible Castle roll. I'm hesitant to suggest this, because of Stogie's and Ellesar's rolls...

For Smohalla's action, he's going to try to dispel the active Confusion spell. If he succeeds, the 2 remaining Watchers should be available to be mentally commanded (free action I think) to assist the Beast spirit in astral combat. Won't do any damage, but should provide an annoyance (friends in melee) to hopefully give the Beast spirit an edge.
Tecumseh
Darn it, I knew I was leaving off a modifier. I even said to myself, "Don't forget the distraction modifier; it's the whole reason it was cast." And then I forgot it.

Subtracting the last rolls in the sequence of Invisible Castle is an interesting idea; thanks for that. We can use that in the future but right now I'll allow pbangarth and Atropos to use the method I suggested if they like, since their rolls are so hit-heavy at the end of their roll sequences.

Phlapjack, I think that commanding the watcher spirits would fall under "command a spirit", which would be a simple action. That said, if the watcher spirits are as intelligent as a "well-trained, loyal dog" then it's reasonable to think that they'd do something similar under their own volition.

One clarification about counterspelling. I've always played it that the magician must use a free action to declare counterspelling each initiative pass. I've recently read about some players who read the rules to say that counterspelling remains active until 1) the protected target leaves the magician's line-of-sight, or 2) the magician decides to end it. (In other words, one free action "sets" the counterspelling for the rest of the encounter until one of the previous two conditions is met.) If anyone else has played it that way then I'm willing to listen to citations from the rules but, until then, it seems like an overly loose interpretation of what I see written.
pbangarth
Ducking in between sessions.... yeah, go ahead and adjust my rolls as you see fit. Your system seems fine to me and in the long run it evens out.

Stogie is not a magician, so the Counterspelling rule doesn't matter for him, but your interpretation is fine with me anyway.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Mar 27 2012, 11:25 PM) *
One clarification about counterspelling. I've always played it that the magician must use a free action to declare counterspelling each initiative pass. I've recently read about some players who read the rules to say that counterspelling remains active until 1) the protected target leaves the magician's line-of-sight, or 2) the magician decides to end it. (In other words, one free action "sets" the counterspelling for the rest of the encounter until one of the previous two conditions is met.) If anyone else has played it that way then I'm willing to listen to citations from the rules but, until then, it seems like an overly loose interpretation of what I see written.

I like playing it the way you suggest, that it costs a free action each initiative pass. It should cost the mage SOMETHING to be constantly counterspelling. Kind of like how Threading for Technomancers used to be a non-action so it could theoretically be done infinitely many times, but then it got changed to be a free action so that it was limited slightly.

So amending Smohalla's intended course of action, he'll continue counterspelling with a free action, and actively try to dispel the ongoing spell with his complex action.
AtroposReborn
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Mar 27 2012, 01:50 AM) *
Atropos, moving to get the shot is only a free action so you have another simple action available. Your rifle is single-shot but you could use the extra action to take aim, if you liked.

The rules aren't entirely clear on the modifiers so I'm going to wing it a bit. Your target is still partially concealed by its spirit as well as under partial cover from the dense terrain. Together I'm going to call that a -4 modifier. However, he is a large target (8+ body) so that's a +1 modifier.

It's a short-range shot for Ellesar but a medium range shot for Stogie, so that will cost Stogie an additional -1.

Ellesar, your current modifier is -3. If you'd like to spend your second simple action aiming, it will become -2. What I do in this case is to roll the difference in dice (2 or 3) and then to subtract any hits from the hits you previously achieved. You can make that roll if you like or I can, whatever your preference. Either way it looks like you'll end up with a good number of hits.

Wow, always thought moving was a simple action. No complaints here though. In that case Ellesar will be aiming at the troll as a simple action and firing as a complex.

I'm also fine with either method of subtracting the negative modifiers.
Tecumseh
Hits to remove from Ellesar's shot: minus 2 Hits = 5 net hits

Toothy's reaction roll: 1 HIT
Toothy's damage resistance: 7 HITS + 1 HIT (his natural armor, which I neglected to include)
Toothy's Spellcasting + Willpower (2) test to avoid breaking concentration on his sustained spell: 2 HITS, spell maintained.

Ellesar connects with 4 net hits. Damage is staged from 7 boxes to 11 boxes, then soaked down to 3 boxes. A good start for the party.

Earth spirit attacks: 2 HITS
Beast spirit defends: 1 HIT, base damage is 2 + 1 hit
[It occurs to me at this point that I didn't give the Beast spirit an opportunity to soak damage previously]
Beast spirit soak damage (retroactive): 0 HITS (phew)
Beast spirit soak damage (current IP): 2 HITS, and technically a glitch but I'm not sure how that would apply to astral combat damage soaking.
Beast spirit now has 4 + 1 = 5 boxes of damage.

Smohalla's Counterspelling + Magic: 2 HITS + 0 HITS from the power focus, which does apply to dispelling. I think.
The spell’s Force + caster’s Magic: 1 HIT

Hmm, now what happens. The rules say:
Each net hit scored on this test reduces the hits from the original test to cast to spell. If a spell’s hits are reduced, any effects the spell applies are also reduced accordingly.
The original spell is reduced to 4 hits, and the rules seem to imply that your modifiers shift down by 1 too (as opposed to staying active until the spell is reduced to 0 hits total, i.e. is the -1 affecting you the first point to be dispelled or the last). So the spell is still active, but Ellesar and Smohalla no longer have their -1 modifiers.

It's 1:20am for me (again) so I'll pause things here. It looks like I have what I need to resolve the remainder of this initiative pass. Atropos and phlapjack, feel free to make an IC post representing the effects of your actions.

Next up:
1) Beast Spirit 2) Stogie 3) Jake 4) Toothy 5) Watchers
AtroposReborn
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Mar 28 2012, 03:20 AM) *
Atropos and phlapjack, feel free to make an IC post representing the effects of your actions.

About to leave work for the day. I'll get a post up tomorrow, time permitting.
Tecumseh
Beast spirit attacks: 2 HITS
Earth spirit defends: 3 HITS, no damage

Pbangarth, you currently do not have a clear shot to the target, as Smohalla is standing in the way. You can get a clear shot with a Free Action. You requested to use a Free Action to drop astral sight, but shifting perception is actually a Simple Action (p. 179). I'm going to leave your sight on the astral because your modifiers are actually better that way (-2 for "performing a physical, non-magical task while astrally perceiving" instead of -4 for not being able to see the beast very clearly in the mundane world). You lose the +1 from the laser sight this way, but you earn it back via the large-target +1 modifier. Combined with the -1 modifier for being at medium range, your total modifiers are -3.

Hits to remove from Stogie's shot: 6 original hits minus 1 Hit = 5 hits
Toothy's reaction roll: 0 HITS
Toothy's damage resistance: 5 HITS
Toothy's Spellcasting + Willpower (2) test to avoid breaking concentration on his sustained spell: 4 HITS, spell maintained.

Stogie's net hits and Toothy's damage resistance cancel each other out so the damage is the Enfield's base damage of 7 boxes. Toothy is now at 10 boxes of damage. Ouch.

Sounds like Jake is doing his own thing, as opposed to charging the troll and biting his man bits. Next up, the revenge of Toothy.
Tecumseh
Forgot to have Smohalla roll drain for his dispelling.

[ Spoiler ]

One thing I need to clarify is the rules on movement, which I misstated earlier. According the rules, running is a free action, sprinting (using your Running skill) is a simple action, and walking is no action at all (p. 148). As such, Stogie and Ellesar did not need to take free actions to get a shot on Toothy. You two still have free actions this turn, if there's anything you'd like to do with them.

Toothy's turn! He runs at Smohalla, who is in an awkward position because he's facing away from Toothy to provide counterspelling on the rest of the team. Very noble, our Smohalla, but very vulnerable too. But at least he has Regeneration in case I break him.

[ Spoiler ]

I'll try to resolve the watchers and the spirits tonight if I can, plus get an IC post up. Pbangarth, go ahead and roll initiative for the next combat turn. Atropos, am I still rolling for you?
AtroposReborn
Toothy sounds like a dinosaur. Beware Toothy, the ferocious man-eating Trollasaur! And let us not forget Smohalla, our trusty companion and unfortunately our meat shield for the time being.

I can't think of anything significant that I would be able to do with a free action. To be honest I'm not sure what all classifies as one. As for the initiative roll you can either go ahead and roll for me to make thinks a bit quicker or wait another day and a half for me to roll it myself. It doesn't really matter to me.
phlapjack77
Time for me to read up on regeneration smile.gif
Tecumseh
Rule interpretation: looking at the "friends in melee combat" rule, it seems to imply that the modifier applies to both attacking and defending rolls. In this case, given the nature of the combatants, I've chosen to apply the bonus to the attacks of the Beast Spirit and the Watchers, but not to the Beast Spirit's defense. The Earth spirit is incurring negative modifiers to its defense rolls due to the multiple attacks per round. I didn't note on the Watchers' rolls that they are still under the -1 modifier from the Mass Confusion spell, but that was accounted for in their dice pools.

End of 1st IP
Watcher #1 attack: 0 HITS + 0 HITS (correction), swing and a miss
Watcher #2 attack: 1 HIT
Earth spirit defend: 1 HIT, no damage

2nd IP (astral only)
Earth spirit attacks: 4 HITS
Beast spirit defends: 3 HITS
Beast spirit soaking damage: 1 HIT
Base damage is 2 + 1 net hits - 1 soak = 2 new boxes damage + 5 boxes previous damage = 7 boxes damage for the beast spirit

Beast spirit attacks: 2 HITS
Earth spirit defends: 2 HITS, no damage

Watcher #1 attack: 1 HIT
Earth spirit defends: 1 HIT, no damage

Watcher #2 attack: 2 HITS

3rd IP (astral only) (pant, pant)
Earth spirit attacks: 3 HITS
Beast spirit defends: 3 HITS, no damage

Beast spirit attacks: 1 HIT

Watcher #1 attacks: 0 HITS, whiffs again
Watcher #2 attacks: 1 HIT
Earth spirit defends: 4 HITS, no damage

Phlapjack, depending how long this lasts, I might need you to take over rolling for your spirit entourage.

Smohalla's regeneration roll:
[ Spoiler ]

Under the severe wounds rules, I'm going to say that Toothy's attack broke several of Smohalla's bones, including multiple ribs. While the tissue damage will mend with Smohalla's regeneration power, the bones will need to be set properly in order for them to heal completely.

Turn #3! Roll initiative!
phlapjack77
Thanks for all the rolling Tecumseh. I've been feeling guilty / lazy about having you roll for me, especially seeing how much work it is for you in addition to all your other duties as GM.

I'll roll for stuff from now on*, even if it goes against my role-playing ideals smile.gif

*(of course, except for stuff you want to roll to keep secret or whatnot)

*Editing*

Initiative
Smohalla: 2 hits = 9 Init total
Beast Spirit: 3 hits = 11 Init total
Watchers: 1 hit = 2 Init total
pbangarth
"Hi, Honey! I'm home."

Yes, I meant Simple action but said Free Action. That's why I only took one shot. Oh well, but thanks, I'll keep astral to dig through the fog. I'll use the remaining free action in turn 2 to shift to burst fire mode, wide burst (surely he's close, and just hitting him will be enough!).

So, here's Initiative for turn 3: 8 dice ==> 2 HITS = 10

Well, Smohalla being thrown out of the way may simplify things. This has to stop now. Time to spray the troll with hot lead!

Simple Action 1 Take Aim.

Simple Action 2 burst fire at Troll with the Enfield AS-7 (7P , AP -1), wide burst gives -2 to dodging the shot

13 dice - 3 modifiers - 2 burst fire + 1 Aim + 4 Edge ( this shot is important, if for no other reason because the meat shield in front of Stogie is much thinner!) = 13 dice exploding sixes

==> 5 HITS

Remaining Edge: 3
Tecumseh
Pb, the Enfield isn't smartlinked so changing the gun mode is a simple action. Second, shotguns fired in burst mode have their recoil modifiers doubled. So if we remove the Take Aim and double the recoil, that's -3 to your shot below. If you want to stick with that approach then we can roll to see which 3 dice are affected, as taking them off the end would scratch 3 hits.
pbangarth
Rather than increase the wait time for you/me/the team to find the result of a roll I have done incorrectly, go ahead and just take off the appropriate dice from the end of my roll list as standard procedure. This time it will hurt me (or maybe us?) but in the long run it will even out.
AtroposReborn
The troll looms high overhead, blood dripping from its claw as it bellows threateningly at Ellesar.

Well crap. After seeing what happened to Smohalla I agree that this needs to end soon, as in before we're all shredded.

Initiative for Ellesar: 10 dice + 3 hits >>> 13
Tecumseh
Initiative Order, Combat Turn #3
Ellesar - 13
Beast Spirit - 11
Earth Spirit - 10
Stogie - 10
Smohalla - 9
Toothy - 6
Watchers - 2

Ellesar, you're first. Smohalla, please figure out what you'd like the Beast Spirit to do, plus some tentative plans for Smohalla (dependent on what Ellesar and Stogie accomplish).
phlapjack77
I'm going to be away the next 2-3 days, hopefully I don't hold anything up.

Beast spirit will keep the Earth spirit busy with melee.

Smohalla is thinking about using a spell, depending on the distance between him and the Troll. Really close, he'll use Death Touch. Farther away, he'll try to hit him with a Wind Blast.
pbangarth
You're probably immune to the virus, so go ahead and reach out and touch him, if you dare. Me, I'm gonna touch him from a distance with some lead.
AtroposReborn
Perhaps you can touch him before he touches you again smile.gif

Ellesar is going to take a simple action to reload and then fire again at the troll. He won't have a chance to aim since he had to reload so I believe that leaves him with the usual 9 dice. Wondering what the current negative modifiers are though. I remember the -1 due to the spell is no longer affecting them but I'm not sure if the partial cover from the dense terrain is still in his favor since he jumped out and attacked Smohalla.
Tecumseh
Atropos, as you note, your base dice pool is 9. As the beastie has now been shot twice (and is screaming in your face) it's fair to say that his concealment isn't as effective as it was a moment ago. Here are the modifiers:

+1 Red Dot Sight (we left this off your first shot)
+1 Large Target (Body 8+)
-0 Short Range
-2 Concealment

So 9 dice. That is, of course, unless you want to switch to your blowgun, or charge with your bayonet.
Tecumseh
Phlapjack, I need some clarification on what spell you actually have. Between your sheet and your most recent post, you refer to it alternatively as:

1) "Buffet" (not a spell I know)
2) "Blast bolt" (blast is a spell from the core book, but is an area effect spell, not a bolt)
3) "Wind Blast" (not a spell I know)

The reason I ask is because you are currently on the ground and not particularly close to your target. Standing up requires a Simple Action (and, per the book, a test to do so given your injury), so you wouldn't be able to introduce Toothy to Death Teach until next turn (having spent this turn getting up and limping over there). Also, it would an unconventional tactic to reintroduce yourself to the line of fire. I'm guessing this mystery ranged spell will be used, so let's figure out what it is. I had some theories but none of them had the same drain value that you listed in your character post (F/2 + 1).
AtroposReborn
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Apr 3 2012, 01:27 AM) *
Atropos, as you note, your base dice pool is 9. As the beastie has now been shot twice (and is screaming in your face) it's fair to say that his concealment isn't as effective as it was a moment ago. Here are the modifiers:

+1 Red Dot Sight (we left this off your first shot)
+1 Large Target (Body 8+)
-0 Short Range
-2 Concealment

So 9 dice. That is, of course, unless you want to switch to your blowgun

Sounds good. I might stop by the library near my dorm today and get the roll and IC post up for the shot after work.

or charge with your bayonet

I'm oddly favorable to keeping my skin/ribs intact.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Apr 3 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Phlapjack, I need some clarification on what spell you actually have. Between your sheet and your most recent post, you refer to it alternatively as:

1) "Buffet" (not a spell I know)
2) "Blast bolt" (blast is a spell from the core book, but is an area effect spell, not a bolt)
3) "Wind Blast" (not a spell I know)

The reason I ask is because you are currently on the ground and not particularly close to your target. Standing up requires a Simple Action (and, per the book, a test to do so given your injury), so you wouldn't be able to introduce Toothy to Death Teach until next turn (having spent this turn getting up and limping over there). Also, it would an unconventional tactic to reintroduce yourself to the line of fire. I'm guessing this mystery ranged spell will be used, so let's figure out what it is. I had some theories but none of them had the same drain value that you listed in your character post (F/2 + 1).

Yeah, I was just figuring if Toothy were standing menacingly over Smohalla, he could get a Death Touch to the ankle or something. But seeing as how there is some range involved...

I'll have Smohalla use "Wind Buffet", according to my character sheet. Sorry about the confusion, I might've renamed it on my sheet once or twice - still not sure about having the word "buffet" in the spell name. It was a spell made up from the Street Magic rules, basically the spell "Clout" (Stun damage) with the Blast elemental effect, drain of (F/2) + 2, to try to simulate a huge gust of wind suddenly pummelling someone, hopefully also knocking them down.
AtroposReborn
Okay it took me an extra day but here's the roll:

9 dice (after all calculations) >>> 4 hits

... not nearly as great as last time
Tecumseh
Toothy Reaction roll to Ellesar's shot: 0 HITS
Toothy's damage resistance: 5 HITS
Toothy's roll to avoid dropping his spell: 1 HIT, SPELL DROPPED

Ellesar connects with 4 net hits. Damage is staged from 7 boxes to 11 boxes, then soaked down to 6 boxes.

Beast spirit attacks: 3 HITS
Earth spirit defends: 2 HITS
Earth spirit soaking damage: 0 HITS (crit glitch - same thing happened earlier in the fight but I'm not sure how it would apply to astral combat damage soaking)

Base damage is 2 + 1 net hits - 0 soak = 3 boxes of damage for the Earth Spirit.
Earth spirit's initiative decreases from 10 to 9. Stogie and Smohalla will go next.

Stogie's shot: 5 hits - 3 hits (correction) = 2 HITS
Toothy has no dice pool to dodge.
Toothy's damage resistance: 6 HITS

Stogie connects with 2 net hits. Damage is staged from 7 boxes to 9 boxes, then soaked down to 3 boxes. Toothy is at 13 boxes of damage. Ow.

Smohalla's spell: 2 HITS
The spell is indirect, but Toothy has no dice pool to dodge.
Toothy's damage resistance: 4 HITS
Smohalla resisting drain: 4 HITS, NO DRAIN

Base damage of the spell is 5 + 2 hits - 4 soak = 3 boxes of stun damage.

Toothy is going unconscious. He rolls for the Dead Man's Trigger: 4 HITS, succeeds. He initiates a thermonuclear explosion. To be continued...
Tecumseh
Phlapjack, can you do me a favor and bang out the rolls for the rolls for the watchers and the Beast Spirit? These should be the dice pools, more or less:

1st IP
Watchers: 4 dice

2nd IP
Beast Spirit: 8 dice
Watchers: 4 dice

3rd IP
Same and 2nd IP
phlapjack77
1st IP
Watcher 1: 1 hit
Watcher 2: 2 hits

2nd IP
Beast spirit: 4 hits!
Watcher 1: 2 hits but also a glitch
Watcher 2: no hits

3rd IP
Beast spirit: 2 hits
Watcher 1: 2 hits
Watcher 2: 1 hit
Tecumseh
End of 1st IP
Earth Spirit attacks: 3 HITS
Beast Spirit defends: 1 HIT
Beast Spirit resist damage: 0 HITS
Base damage is 2 + 2 net hits - 0 hits = 4 boxes of damage + 7 pre-existing boxes = 11 boxes total
BEAST SPIRIT POPS!

Watcher #1 attacks: 1 hit
Earth Spirit defends: 4 HITS, no damage

Watcher #2 attacks: 2 hits
Earth Spirit defends: 0 HITS
Earth Spirit resist damage: 1 HIT (glitch)
Base damage for watcher spirits is 1 + 2 net hits - 1 soak = 2 boxes of damage + 3 pre-existing boxes = 5 boxes total

2nd IP
Earth Spirit attacks Watcher #2: 2 HITS
Watcher #2 defends: 0 HITS (crit glitch)
Watcher #2 resist damage: 1 HIT
Base damage is 2 + 2 hits - 1 soak = 3 boxes of damage

Do watchers have a damage track? They seem like they would be fragile little things, but maybe they're just the same as any other Force 1 spirit on the astral. The book doesn't seem to say; does anyone know?

Watcher #1 attacks: 2 hit glitch
Earth Spirit defends: 3 HITS, no damage

Watcher #2: 0 hits

3rd IP
Earth Spirit MATERIALIZES in the physical plane, covering Toothy. Per the rules, the Earth spirit is "metahuman sized", but at Force 4 is probably not as big as a troll. For the purposes of the next round, Toothy is now LYING PRONE and under GOOD COVER. The Earth Spirit is dual-natured while materialized, so the watchers can continue attacking.

Watcher #1 attacks: 2 hits
Earth Spirit defends: 2 HITS, no damage

Watcher #2 attacks: 1 hit
Earth Spirit defends: 3 HITS, no damage

End of Combat Turn #3
Smohalla's regeneration roll:
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn #4! Initiative! Atropos, you've been winning these so be sure to include a proposed action and relevant roll with your initiative roll.
phlapjack77
Initiative turn #4
Smohalla: 1 hit = 9
Watchers: 1 hit = 2

Smohalla's intention is to gingerly stand up, and observe / assense the troll.

I tried looking up damage track stuff on watchers too, and found nothing. I'd be ok with a ruling that they're really fragile, and any damage makes them go pop. It seems to fit with the idea of a watcher, I think. They seem like they shouldn't be able to withstand a hit from a Earth spirit...
pbangarth
I dunno. Body 1 should be Body 1.
AtroposReborn
Initiative roll: 10 dice + 3 hits = 13

Ellesar is going to reload and then fire on the materialized earth spirit.

Does the earth spirit have the same concealment as the troll? I went ahead and rolled with and without just in case.

Concealment: 8 dice >>> 1 hit

No concealment: 10 dice >>> 2 hits

It's pretty bad either way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012