Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: The Sun Never Sets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
pbangarth
Yes, we stayed in camp to study the lay of the defenses.
phlapjack77
what do ya'll think? possibly take that first step down the path to the dark side? smile.gif
pbangarth
Nice save with the Sisters, phlapjack77.

Hmmm .... the Dark Side. Let the destruction begin? Right now, the contest of wills and philosophies between the Sisters and us is kinda cool, even if the action is sparse. I suspect, though, that Tecumseh has a few teams ready to toss at us if we get too settled into rhetoric.
pbangarth
By the way, thanks for the maps and photo, guys. Way better to get into the feel of things. That photo is gorgeous! I'd be happy to participate in the map building, but is there any more info to enter right now? Can Google Maps do what Google Earth can do, like add polygons and other shapes?
phlapjack77
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 28 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Hmmm .... the Dark Side. Let the destruction begin? Right now, the contest of wills and philosophies between the Sisters and us is kinda cool, even if the action is sparse. I suspect, though, that Tecumseh has a few teams ready to toss at us if we get too settled into rhetoric.

I'm starting to think, we can talk ourselves in circles on this debate forever. "Words are wind". But if we put the words to the test and involve ourselves in the Sisters plans, maybe we can actually make a difference in the Sisters behavior and outlook...

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 28 2013, 12:06 PM) *
By the way, thanks for the maps and photo, guys. Way better to get into the feel of things. That photo is gorgeous! I'd be happy to participate in the map building, but is there any more info to enter right now? Can Google Maps do what Google Earth can do, like add polygons and other shapes?

Not sure if that's possible - and I've never used Google Earth much. What kind of shapes would we be adding?
pbangarth
I see your point about the Sisters' plans.

Maybe create some kind of overlay that shows where the built up defenses are. So we can plan our actions in defense when the next runner team(s) arrives(s). Though I suppose a quick map in some easy drawing program would suffice.
Tecumseh
I am frequently tempted to say too much in the OOC forums regarding the course of the game. When we're done, I'll do a big recap with behind-the-scenes peeks - "this is what I was thinking at this point". But until then, I'm going to be sitting on my hands with zipped lips.
phlapjack77
Tecumseh, what exactly ARE the Sisters doing during their rituals? Rituals for what? Does Smohalla have the knowledge necessary to figure out what they're doing?

I've started to get a very bad feeling about this drop...
Tecumseh
And here I thought i was being all obvious.

Smohalla's Magical Theory knowledge skill roll:
[ Spoiler ]

What Smohalla knows. I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case anyone wants to preserve the surprise, and/or to let Phlapjack explain it ICly.
[ Spoiler ]
phlapjack77
You WERE being obvious, which is what was setting alarm bells off in my head smile.gif visions of buzzing things crossing over from beyond were dancing in my head...
pbangarth
Oooooohhhhhhhh.... I wanna open that spoiler! But I won't. I won't.
phlapjack77
I'll give you a hint pbangarth! It starts with insec...no, that gives too much away. How about, it ends with spirits?

biggrin.gif
phlapjack77
Oh, and don't think I didn't notice that subtle dig at Smohalla! smile.gif

QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jun 30 2013, 03:31 AM) *
Ellie moves slowly and deliberately, pausing for a moment before reaching for the gunnysack that contains the tea. She starts to make a pot of peppermint tea, using the last of the leaves that she has available.
Tecumseh
Actions have consequences! Lack of action has consequences too!

Phlapjack, were you intending to talk to the other in private? I haven't (technically) excused the Sisters yet, although it's not a significant issue to do so. I simply wanted to give Pbangarth and Atropos the opportunity to interact with them before they disappeared for the night.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar doesn't have much to say to them that hasn't already been said so I'm fine with them moving on.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jul 1 2013, 12:43 AM) *
Actions have consequences! Lack of action has consequences too!

Phlapjack, were you intending to talk to the other in private? I haven't (technically) excused the Sisters yet, although it's not a significant issue to do so. I simply wanted to give Pbangarth and Atropos the opportunity to interact with them before they disappeared for the night.

Yeah, sorry - I had thought the Sisters were gone already. Smohalla would wait until they were gone to talk to his teammates.
pbangarth
Yeah, the boys need to talk.
Tecumseh
I added a line to post #836 to remove the ladies from the scene.
Tecumseh
Great posts, everyone. Keep it up!
Tecumseh
Great exchange, guys. Anything else that people want to say or do before making camp for the night?
phlapjack77
Hopefully I'm not forcing the issue, but I was thinking we should have our "story straight" before talking to the Sisters the next morning. So I'd like to RP a little bit more...
Tecumseh
Works for me. I'm enjoying the conversation, and everyone has brought up a point or a perspective that I hoped someone would mention. Nice work all around.

Tecumseh
Closer to being done? Once you make your watch arrangements we can move into the overnight portion. Not trying to hurry things along, just making sure we don't hit a pause because everyone's waiting for everyone else to speak.
phlapjack77
I think I'm Smohalla's satisfied with our decision.
AtroposReborn
Same here.
Tecumseh
I'll post something to advance things overnight and we'll do karma soon. It's been half a year since we did it last - just before Christmas (!). That's 227 posts. I'll read back through them while I calculate the karma awards.
phlapjack77
Man! I was all thinking it was going to be a barghest...

...still haven't gotten over the barghest frown.gif
pbangarth
Sooner or later somebody had to be talented.

Drone scouting. Long-range aerial bombardment. Spirits to soften up those missed by the ordnance. Then the real trouble shows up to mop up.

(This is where I wonder whether Stogie taught Jake the signal for "Run! Save your hairy ass and don't look back!")
phlapjack77
We're pretty well-off in the magical defenses dept, maybe need a ward or three set up but with the aspected BGC, things are tilted in our favor.

But as for technological defenses...maybe we need to get in contact with an old buddy, crazy Jeff (?) the ex-PC...
pbangarth
Wasn't getting in touch with him part of the original plan when we left last time? frown.gif

Aside from shooting the drone out of the sky, Stogie has nothing.
phlapjack77
I think it was mentioned that we could use him as a resource if we needed someone with more tech-savvy than us, but I don't think it was part of the plan that we forgot to do...not like the shopping list or anything smile.gif
pbangarth
Well, he's not here, anyway, and we can't reach him from the Sisters' hideaway. So we are it.
Tecumseh
Yay, karma! PMs have gone out. Please do me a favor and update your sheets (the ones on the first page of this OOC forum) with your new totals, minus any you choose to spend. If you spend any, please let me know, plus add a karma change log to the bottom of your sheet:

"7/8/13 - Spent 2 Karma on Artisan (Cooking)"

Let me know if there are any questions!
pbangarth
Wow, I just went through your pmails to me about karma and updated the list on my post on the first page.

This location seems like a great place to Initiate. Got anything against a self-Initiation here for Stogie? Don't know if that is what I want, but checking the possibilities.
AtroposReborn
Wonderful, the drone comes on my shift. If it's alright I'm going to go ahead and chip in 4 karma to increase Ellesar's pistol skill. I'll get an IC post up this evening once I get home from work.
Tecumseh
Pbangarth, definitely no issues with a self-initiation. Again, given the nature of play-by-post and the extreme lengths of time between in-game events, we're earning karma and spending karma at accelerated rates, sweeping the usual time-to-learn rules under the rug.

Atropos, boosting Pistols is great too.
pbangarth
Dammit! I knew I should have posted -before- I went to bed. I wanted to take a chance and use a dream brought on by the power line to Initiate Stogie into Sensing. I woke up composing the post. But the dream idea is old now!

Dammit!!
Tecumseh
Let this be a lesson to post early and post often!!!
AtroposReborn
I'd like to apologize for not keeping my word yesterday. We had a mandatory meeting after work and the hour and a half of death by powerpoint lead to me acquiring a wonderful migraine. I've been bed ridden for most of the day and couldn't handle any sort of brighter-than-dim lighting until a couple of hours ago. Hopefully I didn't keep the game held up for too long.

On a separate note I wasn't sure if my camouflage suit gave me any sort of bonus to hiding. In the core book it says that it adds an additional 2 points against perception if used in an appropriate environment, but takes away 2 points if used in an inappropriate one. It also says it's reversible for day and night use. Should I be switching it inside out every time the sun goes down? I went ahead and rolled for my shadowing without the bonus.

INT 4 + Shadowing 4 = 8 dice >>> 4 Hits
Tecumseh
Thanks, Atropos. No problem. The skill you wanted to roll was Infiltration, not Shadowing, but your dice pools for both are exactly the same so we'll use your roll. The camouflage suit certainly applies; Ellesar has the training and the good sense to reverse it as appropriate. It's a negative dice pool modifier to being observed (i.e. fewer dice for the drone) rather than a positive dice pool modifier for your Infiltration attempt.

Pbangarth, it's time for your dream sequence! You know you want to! Won't you look like a Johnny-come-lately, but still! Dooooo iiiiit!
phlapjack77
QUOTE (AtroposReborn @ Jul 11 2013, 07:54 AM) *
the hour and a half of death by powerpoint lead to me acquiring a wonderful migraine....
INT 4 + Shadowing 4 = 8 dice >>> 4 Hits

ugh - just thinking about long meetings with ppts is close to giving me a migraine. Glad you're feeling better man.

And wow, good roll!
Tecumseh
Getting 4 hits on 8 dice is about a 1 in 4 chance (25.86%).

The best roll I've seen in the last two years is 13 hits on 16 dice, no edge. That's about 0.01%, or 1 chance in 10,000. (Or 91 chances in 781,334!)
phlapjack77
Hmmm - I thought the average on 9 dice would be 3 hits, so 8 dice with 4 hits seemed much mo better...
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jul 11 2013, 03:27 PM) *
Rapidly circling the camp, Smohalla soon determines that there's no major lifeforms within a hundred meters.

You sure about that? No other major lifeforms? Nothing? Not even like a...a barghest or anything?

frown.gif
Tecumseh
I have 5th edition!!!

That is all.
AtroposReborn
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 11 2013, 02:58 AM)
ugh - just thinking about long meetings with ppts is close to giving me a migraine. Glad you're feeling better man.

And wow, good roll!
Thanks, I feel much better today and I didn't think that 4/8 was such a great roll.

QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jul 11 2013, 03:09 PM) *
I have 5th edition!!!

That is all.
Color me jealous. Ever since I heard about 5E coming out I've wanted it. I've read up on the portions that were leaked but can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
Tecumseh
Atropos, action is to Ellesar at this point, even if it's just more 'wait and see'.
pbangarth

Pbangarth, it's time for your dream sequence! You know you want to! Won't you look like a Johnny-come-lately, but still! Dooooo iiiiit!

It's better to come late than never to come at all.
Tecumseh
Pbangarth wins the award for the tallest post.
pbangarth
I sort of did mean that Stogie howled in pain. And that light from his eyes lit up his tent. Artistic license, I know, and I hope I didn't tread in GM territory. Just thought I'd spice things up a bit.

In the spirit of Tecumseh's suggestion we speed up karma expenditure and progression, I'd like to spend 19 karma for Initiation for Stogie into grade III, and acquire for him the Sensing metamagic. I figured if it was sped up, it had to hurt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012