Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Sorta) New Shadowrun Browser Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Angelone
Apparently if you have 0.00 essence you can't buy anything.
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 14 2012, 09:09 PM) *
If you have 0.00 Essence, you're supposed to be D-E-D Dead. nyahnyah.gif
Angelone
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2012, 09:15 PM) *
If you have 0.00 Essence, you're supposed to be D-E-D Dead. nyahnyah.gif

Not in older editions, you were just... odd.
Bigity
No, zero was dead, without getting into cybermancy, which honestly should be out of reach. And if you got some corp to do it, you only wished you were dead.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 14 2012, 11:50 PM) *
No, zero was dead, without getting into cybermancy, which honestly should be out of reach. And if you got some corp to do it, you only wished you were dead.
*Pours a 40 on the curb for Hatchetman*
Stahlseele
WD40 right?
DV8
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 15 2012, 04:09 AM) *

I just fixed the shop mechanism, so you should be able to buy things again. Then there just remains the mystery of the occassional example of people being able to sometimes going down to 0 essence.
DV8
QUOTE (DV8 @ Apr 15 2012, 10:54 AM) *
I just fixed the shop mechanism, so you should be able to buy things again. Then there just remains the mystery of the occassional example of people being able to sometimes going down to 0 essence.

And I just figured that out as well. There's a bug in the cyberware upgrade script (which is currently being overhauled anyway). I'll get that fixed and remove your datajack, since the use of which is not implemented yet anyway.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 15 2012, 06:50 AM) *

No, in older editions you could in fact go to 0 and not die...

SR1
pg. 31: "If a character's Essence falls below 0, he dies."
pg. 126: "Even a zero Essence is tough, promoting despair and melancholy."

the same held true in SR2.

In SR3, however:
pg. 41: "Under basic Shadowrun rules, characters can never have an Essence of 0 or less. If they do, they die."

I liked the earlier versions better, where you could strip away your entire humanity and live life basically as close to death as is humanly possible, your life force eaten away by cyberware.
khirareq
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 12 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Actually, my Stealth is at 6.

Tried going in again and before I get 5 steps a half dozen ghouls swarm me and I get knocked out again. I'm shooting with a silenced Predator but I honestly can't tell if I'm having any effect.

Some sort of visual indicator on the target's graphic that it is damaged would be nice.

Also, I notice that if you get knocked out, heal up and return to the location, you don't appear at the entrance to the building. You appear where you were knocked out. With all the enemies that knocked you out before still there surrounding you.

-k

Karma, go to the "Beta Testers" tab and delete your character, then remake him. It's the only way to reset the ghouls, short of taking one shot per hour at them until you kill them all.
DV8
QUOTE (khirareq @ Apr 15 2012, 02:51 PM) *
Karma, go to the "Beta Testers" tab and delete your character, then remake him. It's the only way to reset the ghouls, short of taking one shot per hour at them until you kill them all.

Due to popular demand, an option to abandon a mission by talking to the one who gave it to you has now been added.
Inu
I'm wondering how people are spending all their actions, since all I can find to do which costs actions is to do the ghoul lair... which I can do once a day. If I keep that up for 35 days, then I'll have enough rep to get in contact with the arena.

Or is there something I"m missing?
Eratosthenes
If you're not a mage, you can do PvP, which costs AP.

At 15 rep you can get the contact Tempered Steele. He lets you trade Action Points for cash.

At 25 rep is another contact. I don't have him yet, but I assume he also provides jobs.

And I believe you get 1 rep for the ghoul lair, and another for just logging in. Perhaps more.
Bull
Really need to find the time to check this out smile.gif
Angelone
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 15 2012, 09:54 PM) *
If you're not a mage, you can do PvP, which costs AP.

At 15 rep you can get the contact Tempered Steele. He lets you trade Action Points for cash.

At 25 rep is another contact. I don't have him yet, but I assume he also provides jobs.

And I believe you get 1 rep for the ghoul lair, and another for just logging in. Perhaps more.

The 25 rep contact is Ralphie, he provides lifestyles.

For rep PvP is a good way to get it. Find someone who's using Gel rounds and go at it.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 16 2012, 12:20 AM) *
The 25 rep contact is Ralphie, he provides lifestyles.

For rep PvP is a good way to get it. Find someone who's using Gel rounds and go at it.

If you're going to do PvP for rep, by the way, I would suggest you 'load' your gun with an ammunition type you have none of, such as Ex-EX. You may not realize this, especially given the towering skill differential between you and (say) me, but it's a real fucking pain in the ass to log in and find that you're at 6 Physical and 9 Stun and can't do jack shit, because people have been pecking at you for reputation.

And if you must PvP with an eye towards ganking people for money as well as earning some rep and karma, for pete's sake load Gel. It's bad enough that if you win, you're going to steal my nuyen.gif, that I can't replace without getting my hands on guns that don't exist yet and karma I don't have to put towards the skill to use that gun that doesn't exist yet and somehow acquiring the Wired Reflexes 3 I'll need to beat that mercenary in an initiative-off, but on top of that, Dixie (theiving bitch) also steals nuyen.gif, and then there's the nuyen.gif you have to pay to get medical attention to boot.
phlapjack77
Good:
Seems cool

Bad:
Maybe I don't understand the purpose of having this available at the moment. If it's an Alpha release, and you want people to play around with and USE the site, then get rid of the "log in once a day to do your ghoul run" thing. It doesn't facilitate people actually wanting to do anything with the game after completing the ghoul mission. Requiring people to either PvP or wait to log in the next day (and the next day...and the next day...) to toy around with the available content doesn't seem like a way to get people interested.
DV8
Admittedly, the decision to release the game for consumption on the scale it has today wasn't my decision, which is why I never advertised it anywhere, but the Internet finds its ways. There are many restrictions on the game that might not make a lot of sense now, but will be met with quite a bit of outrage and disappointment if I take them off now and reapply them at a later date when everyone playing has gotten use to the lack of restrictions. You can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

But to be fair, there are quite a few other restrictions now, like the reputation requirements for some gear, that seem unnecessarily harsh, which will likely change in the coming few weeks.
phlapjack77
Thanks for replying! First off, of course, I realize that this is an incredible amount of work. You seem to be making a very cool game smile.gif

But for the reputation restrictions thing, I don't think that's as much of an issue. It's the earning of the reputation that's the sticking point. IF (big IF) this alpha release needs lots of "hands on" from different people, you don't want people to have to wait (especially having to wait days) to try something out. I think.
JonathanC
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Apr 15 2012, 05:35 AM) *
No, in older editions you could in fact go to 0 and not die...

SR1
pg. 31: "If a character's Essence falls below 0, he dies."
pg. 126: "Even a zero Essence is tough, promoting despair and melancholy."

the same held true in SR2.

In SR3, however:
pg. 41: "Under basic Shadowrun rules, characters can never have an Essence of 0 or less. If they do, they die."

I liked the earlier versions better, where you could strip away your entire humanity and live life basically as close to death as is humanly possible, your life force eaten away by cyberware.

It'd be interesting to consider whether a zero-essence character still ages, or is capable of dying of old age.
Stahlseele
Rust still works.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 16 2012, 02:15 PM) *
Rust still works.

Nah man, just take a bath in CLR.
Bearclaw
Any chance of getting magic pool in? This is what's really lacking from the mage. Only getting the 6 dice for my spell and 6 to resist drain is killing me.
Socinus
Does searching the building with the ghouls in it after they're all dead give you anything? It doesnt seem to.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Socinus @ Apr 16 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Does searching the building with the ghouls in it after they're all dead give you anything? It doesnt seem to.

Not as of yet
Iduno
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Apr 16 2012, 06:19 AM) *
Thanks for replying! First off, of course, I realize that this is an incredible amount of work. You seem to be making a very cool game smile.gif

But for the reputation restrictions thing, I don't think that's as much of an issue. It's the earning of the reputation that's the sticking point. IF (big IF) this alpha release needs lots of "hands on" from different people, you don't want people to have to wait (especially having to wait days) to try something out. I think.

You can gain a lot of rep in a short time with PvP. You will lose a lot of nuyen, but you end up with rep fast. Then you just have to spend a few days killing ghouls once a day (and not losing anymore pvp battles) until you can afford contacts to get more money/stuff to do. I am currently spending 4 days getting the nuyen for the tempered steel contact so I can try to afford the arena contact a few days later.

It's a slow starting game. I assume they'll be adding more low-level stuff to fix that eventually, but they have a lot of things to add.
Bearclaw
Are we working on adding mages to PvP? I feel kinda left out.
Tiny Deev
We are working on mages, but they prove to be a bit tricky. We've put them on a bit of a back burner, focussing mostly on stealth play at the moment.
Bearclaw
It takes a very long time to get to 35 rep. As a mage, with crappy armor, it takes me 3 or 4 days to get through the ghouls.
Stahlseele
whats stopping you from getting pistols skill to 4 or 6 and shooting them like everybody else?
Bearclaw
Is there a way to improve my skills?
Stahlseele
If you have karma and money, go to safehouse, character, and then click on the headline skills,
Bearclaw
Cool, thanks. Didn't even notice it. Sadly, I need 7500 for Tempered Steel, and I've only got 7300. I think once I've got him, I can get things rolling faster.

Stahlseele
god damn it!
that ex cop kills me every single time, before i even see him most of the time <.<
*sigh* back to the ghouls and then looking for some better armor to take a bit of the bite of the max power off of my hide when i try it the next time ._.
Halinn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 23 2012, 12:23 AM) *
god damn it!
that ex cop kills me every single time, before i even see him most of the time <.<
*sigh* back to the ghouls and then looking for some better armor to take a bit of the bite of the max power off of my hide when i try it the next time ._.

Find a spot where the opponent can't shoot until you have gotten a lot of perception checks, then wait there. I like being behind the forward right column to the right side. When you reach the spot, the opponent should be precisely mirrored, so you can track where he should be from there. Move two squares back when he's about halfway, then wait.
Stahlseele
i did that. did not work.
he always gets initiative even after i got my boosted reflexes level 3 . .
and then he oneshot kills me outright . .
i will have to do the ghoul den long enough to get enough rep to afford some better armor, then try and get my body a bit higher and try again . .
i have the same problem with the rippers leutnant with the Defiance T-250 Shotgun too . .
The Ex-Cop at least also does close combat, but the Troll just stands there aiming at the doorway and blasts you once you are in his Line of Fire. .

speaking of close combat: i wonder how they implemented reach, if at all . .
Dr.Rockso
They had yet to implement reach when I was still playing regularly.
Stahlseele
Well, there is a Reach STAT at least, with close Combat Weapons.
Wether or not it works, and if it works HOW, i have yet to try out.
Dr.Rockso
Yeah, theres been Reach as a stat for awhile. Last I checked, it didn't do much for my Combat Axe or Katana.
Stahlseele
Well, technically, there would have to be a way for you to chose how to use that extra reach . .
Because according to the SR3 Rules, you can either make your opponents TN higher by your positive Reach difference, or you can lower your TN by your positive Reach difference.
This gets even more annoying and complicated when you are dealing with Reach from more than one source.
Let's say Troll-Arms Reach 1 and a Sword with Reach 2. These add up to Reach 3 together, so you could either lower your TN by 3 or make your opponents TN higher by 3.
OR you can use the Reach 1 from your Arms to lower your TN and the Reach 2 from the Sword to make your opponents TN higher. Or use the Reach 1 from your Arms to make your opponents TN higher and use the Reach 2 to lower your own TN.
Or the other way around.
Halinn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2012, 09:42 PM) *
i did that. did not work.
he always gets initiative even after i got my boosted reflexes level 3 . .
and then he oneshot kills me outright . .

Have you gotten maxed Reaction Enhancers? That should total enough to give you good odds of going first.
Stahlseele
Nope. Pretty much broke in both Money and Essence.
Critias
Yeah. The lack of Cyberware grades, and Bioware options, really hurts on the Essence front. It's like strolling through the grocery store putting a little of this, and a little of that into your basket, and then suddenly realizing that you're all out of space for any more shopping.

But it's cool. It's an early version, you pay with what'cha got. wink.gif
fexes
I quit the game. PvP sucks. This is not a Shadowrun game, it's just another farming game. Every time I log on, surprise surprise, i'm dead.... again and again and again. What's so funny to wait for the next death?
DV8
I'm sorry to hear that, fexes. Especially since I spent some time the other day building some pvp protection. I understand your decision, especially since there's not much other content to occupy the pvp'ers with, but I hope you will drop by from time to time to check on the progress. I'm keen to hear your thoughts and suggestions, regardless, it your like to share them.
fexes
I really like your project, but the pvp-mode destroys the fun. I know you're working for a pvp protection. But at the moment it doesn't work. Now, I won't die every hour, but every 6 hours or 12... who doesn't matters? I'm loggin on 3 to 4 times a day. Always looking if my damage is healing.... and everytime i'm logging on, hell yeah, a new message: I've been attacked again, i'm dead.... come back next day and try again. No, sorry, that's not funny, I don't want to play farming games even if they are Shadowrun and looks so nice.
Iduno
The major problem seems to be that there are only 3 missions, and you need 35 karma/rep to get 2 of them. Without pvp you're spending 12 days logging in to shoot ghouls once (2 karma for logging in daily) until you can do anything else.

Pvp isn't the best content, but it's something for now. Plus it allows a way to test for game balance. There aren't many people working on the game, so it'll take a while to really get interesting. Either way, it's still in beta.
DV8
Well, alpha really. smile.gif
Stahlseele
I restarted as a Troll Mage because of PvP . .
And guess what will be opened for Mages, probably just when i hit 100 Reputation?
Just my luck <.<
Iduno
Well, yeah. Now that you said that, DV8 can watch for you to hit 100.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012