Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Sorta) New Shadowrun Browser Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Draco18s
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 9 2012, 10:26 PM) *
How can one choose? HOW CAN ONE CHOOSE?!

Besides, Princess Luna is clearly the best pony.

You appear to have misspelled Twilight Sparkle.
Naysayer
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 10 2012, 04:57 AM) *
For what a one-time-casual-but-then-lost-interest player's opinion matters? It's, to be honest, the knowledge that PVP was looming on the horizon for me that got me to stop trying. Grinding missions was okay, I was having a good time, but I knew sooner or later I'd start just being feeder meat for someone to click on every chance they got, and my barely-scraping-by nuyen and karma (and fun) would just vanish...so I just didn't log in one day.

Opt-in PVP lets the folks who want to do it, do it. Mandatory PVP means some sharks have fun feasting, but everyone else is just chum in the water (who swiftly loses interest).

Egg-Zagg-tly.
When I realized that I couldn't even scrape the nuyen together to raise the stats neccessary to become just a little less viable as a target in the meat grinder or finish the arena, because, y'know, I got meat-ground all the time, often by folks with about twice as much karma as me, I simply quit.
I'm still a big fan of DV8's work on Corrosion, but right now, not only is PVP forcing the "not the game I want to play" elements onto me, it's also keeping me from playing the parts of the game I like to play.
So I don't.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, he just (as of yesterday, actually) plugged it in so you need to get someone up to Surveillance 5 before you can attack them.

So you're a lot less likely to be chum in the water now.
CanRay
ShadowBronies scare me.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 10 2012, 07:09 AM) *
ShadowBronies scare me.

Why?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 10 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Why?

'cause his world's changing. and he don't like it!
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 9 2012, 05:14 AM) *
Man, this thread was way more pleasant when it was grown men talking about cartoon ponies.

This is a lot of bile over a free browser game.

That is a disheartening comment.

--

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 9 2012, 05:35 AM) *
That said, yeah. I miss the loving and tolerating myself. Maybe I should try to write some more of that instead of getting pissed off by Corrosions daily grind of kamikazing myself into near-death.

And by loving and tolerating you mean write a fanfic for the competition involving Rarity and Ted.

--

True, but a steadier, healtheir income just isn't forthcoming anytime soon. If you brickwall in the Arena, at present, the very most you can earn in a day is probably gonna be like 25K, assuming you have a skill of 14 and never waste a single AP to having a full meter, spending all of your AP as soon as they come in on doing the runs that are existant now, and have a Tempered Steele skill at 14. (Unlikely, but not utterly impossible.)

As a veteran of EVE Online. All I can do is chuckle.

THIS! A thousand, thousand times this. I hate PvP, especially nonconsentual PvP, with the firey burnination of ten thousand galaxies worth of stars!

I got enough of that shit getting PK'd and griefed back in the dark days of Ultima Online.

I have a preference for the EVE Model of PvP or oldsk00l MUD model. EVE is open PvP but unless you're an idiot or someone really wants you dead it's usually too punitive for the person ganking you.

The MUD model generally had three types of zones. Non-PK zones where player killing was not permitted. NPK zones where players could kill each other with no penalties involved. CPK zones were the last type of zone where players were granted various boons for killing someone in such a zone. Usually it was limited looting of equipment.

Open PvP everywhere with the same costs and benefits is idiotic. Generally speaking, the only environment that would allow such an PvP environment is must be inherently lawless or evil. It needs to be zoned and the cost/benefit adjusted to make sense.
Draco18s
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 10 2012, 10:23 AM) *
I have a preference for the EVE Model of PvP or oldsk00l MUD model. EVE is open PvP but unless you're an idiot or someone really wants you dead it's usually too punitive for the person ganking you.

I have so many EVE stories. And I don't even play.

One, a friend asked someone (who was in a titan) to doomsday him, so that he could effectively fast travel to a clone on the far side of the galaxy. He got his wish.
(Doomsdays are not cheap)

This friend has also pissed off Russia. As in, the country.

One day another friend was minding his own business when a bunch of people came through a system he was in and blew up every ship in the sector before moving on to another sector and repeating the process. They didn't pop any pods or really care what people did after that. So there were like 40 pods floating around in this system wondering what was going on, then came the transports. And the transports didn't stop for over an hour.

That friend also pod-tanked once; was a rather amusing spectacle. One ship was remote-repairing his pod while another ship fired on him with small weapons (I think they were also his ships, under other accounts, I'm not 100% sure, but in any case they were friends at the very least). He did this for an hour or more before having a larger weapon come online and fire at the pod, popping it.

I think it's that friend who also has a ship that Should Not Exist. He managed to escape combat by warping out one day with 0 shields, 0 armor, and 0 hull. It generated a kill mail. It will also generate kill mails any and every time it is shot, despite being at full health again. Needless to say, he doesn't pull that one out of the hanger very often. We think it was a floating point rounding error and that he had 0.0000000001 to 0.4999999999 hull left, which triggers the kill mail (round(hull) <= 0, and also marks the ship as having died, generating more kill mails) but didn't blow up the ship (hull <= 0).

He also had a ship blow up, and then miraculously appear in a hanger on the wrong side of the galaxy (place he had never been), will all fittings and cargo, several months later, that he only discovered when he went to use the search feature to find another ship of his. This incident (and at least one other I'm not recalling off-hand) have caused him to think that there's a GM playing with him.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 10 2012, 11:50 AM) *
I have so many EVE stories. And I don't even play.

One, a friend asked someone (who was in a titan) to doomsday him, so that he could effectively fast travel to a clone on the far side of the galaxy. He got his wish.
(Doomsdays are not cheap)

I know. That's pretty idiotic unless the Titan was the only one around and it had no drones and no other offensive weaponry.

This friend has also pissed off Russia. As in, the country.

Yeah... the russian alliances are friggin crazy.

One day another friend was minding his own business when a bunch of people came through a system he was in and blew up every ship in the sector before moving on to another sector and repeating the process. They didn't pop any pods or really care what people did after that. So there were like 40 pods floating around in this system wondering what was going on, then came the transports. And the transports didn't stop for over an hour.

Ah. Some corp or more likely an alliance was moving their home base sector. Logistics is a bitch. They probably sent in the fleet to cleanse the path of any potential threat (someone in a pod would need to spend time traveling back to a station for a ship and then traveling back to harass them).
Draco18s
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 10 2012, 12:00 PM) *
I know. That's pretty idiotic unless the Titan was the only one around and it had no drones and no other offensive weaponry.

System was basically empty at the time.

Yeah... the russian alliances are friggin crazy.

And he pissed them ALL off. ;D
He'd sit in one of their systems, cloaked, and rant at them...in Russian.

Ah. Some corp or more likely an alliance was moving their home base sector. Logistics is a bitch. They probably sent in the fleet to cleanse the path of any potential threat (someone in a pod would need to spend time traveling back to a station for a ship and then traveling back to harass them).

Yup. Was a large cargo transfer of some kind. We just thought it was hilarious, as there were seriously two dozen or more pods just floating there. Not that they couldn't leave, but they were too interested in what was going on.

Also, have you heard the phrase "corpse bomb"? I'm almost certain it was one of these two who came up with the idea. Either that, or Merf heard about it and wanted to do that to someone (probably the Russian Alliance).
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 10 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Also, have you heard the phrase "corpse bomb"? I'm almost certain it was one of these two who came up with the idea. Either that, or Merf heard about it and wanted to do that to someone (probably the Russian Alliance).

No. I've never heard of it. I generally didn't get involved in null sec. I tottered about as an industrialist in high sec.
Naysayer
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 10 2012, 01:54 PM) *
Well, he just (as of yesterday, actually) plugged it in so you need to get someone up to Surveillance 5 before you can attack them.

So you're a lot less likely to be chum in the water now.

I'm giving it a cautious try, then.
Draco18s
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 10 2012, 01:02 PM) *
No. I've never heard of it. I generally didn't get involved in null sec. I tottered about as an industrialist in high sec.

Essentially one would go around scooping up corpses into their hold. Say 100 to 500 of them.

They'd then go to the target system and drop all the corpses in their cargo hold.

The sudden influx of several hundred objects the system would need to track and render would grind the server to a craw, if not outright crash it.
Iduno
Looks like DV8 has gotten some more changes to pvp finished, after (during?) a server outage today. You can now choose to have people pay for the ability to attack you (and you choose how much it costs them), which also blocks anyone who doesn't pay from attacking you. Easier for people to find targets who want to fight, and it's a way for people to pay for pvp protection. We'll see how it works out.

More importantly I think that means new stuff for shamans/mages is next, then maybe the new mission.
Stahlseele
Thanks for the Headsup.
I missed that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012