Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Stalking the Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
UmaroVI
Possession: [Boots] Fx2(12)+Vessel(6) = 18d6 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3724972/ 9 hits, [Hound] Intuition (3) + Willpower (3) = 6d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3724975/, 4 hits, possession succeeds.
Fenris
Umaro - Since it's my understanding that dog's vocal chords can't mimic human speech, how are you talking, exactly?
UmaroVI
Hmm, you're right. Rooby dooby doo! Ri'm rediting rat.

Changed it: Boots manifests, speaks, and then possesses. I'm assuming Sean doesn't get up just from being barked at in the post.
Buddha72
Percpetion
9d6.hits(5)=1

Hearing
2d6.hits(5)=0

Safehouses (trying to figure out where I am)
9d6.hits(5)=4
Fenris
Ama

Safehouses - The room is barren, but very specifically equipped. You know some flavors of safehouses come for specific tasks, like burying and interrogating witnesses, that sort of thing. Judging by the setup and evidence, this is probably something like that. Good thing, most of them assumed the target would be strapped to the chair, and protecting the outside would be more important, so you could probably walk through the door and move around the interior without much resistance from locks and the like. The bad news, specific places like this are expensive...someone's footing the bill, and it's hard to say, based on your scattered recollections, on whether the other occupants would be hostiles or friendly.

Perception - The room is bare. Nothing here but the chair and the restraints, though you can see a hallway leading off to the left and the right just outside the open door. No sounds permeate in here, except for the gentle whirr of an air conditioning unit, and the harsh sound of your breathing, suddenly made unfamiliar by the change.

All - As a note... I want to try and keep the entries in the IC thread fairly narrative, so look for results from rolls to show up here, and then you can post reactions or interpretations in the IC thread. So, don't wait on an IC post from me if you're just pausing to make rolls. I'll toss this up in the OP as well for reference.

Additionally, I'd like everyone to post a general current visual description of the character (mostly for my reference) as a line near the top of your current gear posts.

Oh, and since the games actually started, I'll need actual 'current gear' posts listed, along with pan states, astral states, and anything else that you think I might need to reference to bump things along as quickly as possible.

You'll get two weeks to finalize your character...if something pops up in the next two weeks (real time) that you want to change, you can do so without penalty, and we'll retconn as necessary. After that, character's are solid, and the only changes come through expenditures of money or karma or GM fiat in the game biggrin.gif
UmaroVI
Gear post modified.
Buddha72
Stealth
5d6.hits(5)=2
UmaroVI
Question: did Boots already know he had a Dream Pact? Or did he just find out now?
Fenris
My assumption is that he didn't have the dream pact as an Ally Spirit, and my understanding is that this is his first foray back into the world after becoming a free spirit. so, I'm inclined to say didn't know until right now.
UmaroVI
That's what I thought (since Ally Spirits cannot make spirit pacts), I just wanted to check we were on the same page before posting.
UmaroVI
Boots casts Increase Intuition on himself long enough to Assense, then drops it. Force 5.

Spellcasting (6)+Magic=Force (6) = 12d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3728986/ 4 hits.

Drain Intuition (5) + Willpower (5) = 10d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3728987/ 3 hits, no drain.

Assensing: Intuition (5) + Assensing (4) + Increased Intuition (4) - Sustaining (2) = 11d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3728989/ 2 hits.

Skill checks to know what's up:

Parazoology (6) + Specialization (Spirits +2) + Logic (2) = 10d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3728991/ [accidentally rolled 11, but the last die was a miss anyways], 2 hits

Magical Theory (4) + Logic (2) = 6d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3728994/ 2 hits

Notsoevildm
Shivan will drop into hotsim:

Identify all active and passive nodes in vicinity of ORCA team. Looking initially for ORCA team, then security guards, drones, etc. nearby:
Computer 4 + Analyze 5 + hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=5, 11d6.hits(5)=2, 11d6.hits(5)=3, 11d6.hits(5)=1, 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=5, 11d6.hits(5)=5, 11d6.hits(5)=3

Scan for hidden nodes (15+, 1 combat turn):
EW 4 + Scan 5 + hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=1, 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=3, 11d6.hits(5)=1, 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=4, 11d6.hits(5)=2, 11d6.hits(5)=3, 11d6.hits(5)=5, 11d6.hits(5)=2 - 17 hits on turn 6, 15 on turn 9 if using reducing dice pools.

Attempting to create admin account on most useful node (lab security system, combat drone):
Hack 4 + Codeslinger 2 + improved ability 2 + Exploit 5 + hotsim 2 =
15d6.hits(5)=4, 15d6.hits(5)=5, 15d6.hits(5)=7, 15d6.hits(5)=7, 15d6.hits(5)=4, 15d6.hits(5)=7, 15d6.hits(5)=8, 15d6.hits(5)=3, 15d6.hits(5)=5, 15d6.hits(5)=4 - 16 hits on third round is enough for rating 5 system on alert. Does give the system 3 attempts to detect him.

If he gets into node, then deactivate any alerts and see what he can do from there.
Buddha72
Keep in mind I have Traceless Walk for the Stealth test. smile.gif
Buddha72
I will not be posting for the next few days. My grandfather has passed and while sad, it was not unexpected and I will need to help my father with final arrangements.
Fenris
Sorry to hear about that Buddha, take all the time that you need.

I believe McQuillan's posting may be a bit slower for a while as well, just so that everyone's aware that I'm aware smile.gif

Umaro - Definitely enough to have an idea about what's going on. You've heard about spirits drawn into binding pacts with mortals, pacts that allow the spirits to experience part of their life, to even learn from them...but only free spirits can make these sorts of deals, not ally spirits attached to a summoner. To be clear, you've got an idea about it, but you're unable to detect the difference in Sean's aura that your formula would represent. And I just want to double check...obviously your character is intelligent, but based on your description, I wasn't really given the impression he'd have knowledge of strictly human things, like hangovers and how to mitigate them. Mostly I just want to understand how you're playing the character.

Notsoevildm - In the system you're in, the blinking eyes are cameras, shields represent security forces, and the screen in the center is probably files containing internal maps. The scan for active nodes will respond back with 40 active/passive nodes. The scan for hidden nodes will reveal 5 hidden nodes. To be able to plot them all relevant to each other, you'll need to access the security maps in the node you're on. There was no active alert. You could roll Security Design (Corporate) or Trids (Action) for more information on the icons.
UmaroVI
I was assuming he would know about things he'd encountered personally, and that he knew what a hangover was and what to do about it from past experience with Sean celebrating a bit too hard, but that in general he'd be iffy on knowledge of human things (like the significance of Sean's chair).
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Fenris @ Oct 14 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Notsoevildm - In the system you're in, the blinking eyes are cameras, shields represent security forces, and the screen in the center is probably files containing internal maps. The scan for active nodes will respond back with 40 active/passive nodes. The scan for hidden nodes will reveal 5 hidden nodes. To be able to plot them all relevant to each other, you'll need to access the security maps in the node you're on. There was no active alert. You could roll Security Design (Corporate) or Trids (Action) for more information on the icons.
Seeing if he can get more info on icons:
Logic 5 + Security Design (Corp) 4 = 9d6.hits(5)=1 - Shivan is apparently somewhat overwhelmed by the capabilities of his new commlink

Reality filter:
Reality filter 5 + Response 4 = 9d6.hits(5)=2 - seeing if Shivan's trees overwrite the node. (Opposed test vs node's System + Response, +1 Response if I win, -1 otherwise)

Examine the security map icon:
Computer 4 + Analyze 5 + hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=5

Activate/access the security map program/data; overlay nodes on map:
Run Program / Edit?
Computer 4 + Edit 5 + hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=4

If that works, next action would be to try and work out an escape route for both the ORCA team and himself / identify some sort of distraction (sprinklers, alarms, minigun armed drones). Don't have navigation so going with security design:
Logic 5 + Security Design (Corp) 4 = 9d6.hits(5)=3

Finally, waking up the 'boys'!
Buddha72
Ok going to try and surprise the people in the room with the trid playing.

Reaction + Intuition (Surprise Test)
10d6.hits(5)=2

+3 Ambush (if I qualify for it)
3d6.hits(5)=1

Edge
8d6.hits(5)=5 (Surprise Test 7 total)
2d6.hits(5)=1 (Ambush Dice 2 total)

So either 7 total or 9 total.

Intiative
10d6.hits(5)=1

Total: 11/4 Passes
Fenris
Umaro - Good point about the hangovers! biggrin.gif

NotsoEvilGM - Node resistance roll vs. Shivan's biofeedback filter. (7d6.hits(5)=1). Congrats, you win wink.gif
Your Analyze action would normally allow you to ask 5 questions, but I'm going to toss up 5 common ones about the icon just to help move things along. Next time you'll know to post your questions with your roll.

What's the icon's type? - It represents an active running program which is integrated with the all legitimate, non-hidden commlinks in the facility.
What's the program's rating - It's a Rating 4 common use program.
What's the icon's function? - It's function is to map and correlate the locations of all nodes it's aware of for security personal. It requires Security-level access or higher to utilize.
Is the icon encrypted? - No, the icon is not encrypted.
Does the icon have a data bomb attached to it? - No, the icon does not have a databomb attached to it.

Since you have an admin account, you can access the icon using Computer instead of Hacking, and the use will not generate intrusion detection rolls.

With access to the board and the over-written reality filter, you know there are 4 security drones as part of the current force. The facility is complete with basic atmospheric controls (hotter/colder, but nothing vacuum sealed), full run sprinklers, and two least two non-lethal suppression systems that lock down rooms in front of each of the facility's two exits in airlock style controls and can pump the room full of neuro-stun (an amendment to the previous 'no-vacuum sealed' comment). Also available are door locks on essentially every door in the facility.

Buddha - You've successfully surprised everyone in the room. You have a round where none of them can act against you.
Notsoevildm
Editing data to flag guards as 'hostile' - ideally all of them, but the four in 'team A' at least:
Computer 4 + Edit 5 + Hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=3

Commanding drones to engage 'hostile' targets, again at least 'team A'
Should be just 'Issue command' but if need to spoof it:
Hacking 4 + Spoof 3 + Ability (hacking) 2 + Hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=5

Triggering a general lockdown of all doors:
Hacking 4 + Spoof 3 + Ability (hacking) 2 + Hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=3

Triggering sprinkers near guards only:
Hacking 4 + Spoof 3 + Ability (hacking) 2 + Hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=4

Plotting a safe route out for ORCA team that brings them past his cage and then nearest exit:
Logic 5 + Gaming 4 (seemed most appropriate) = 9d6.hits(5)=4 - knows his way around those MMOs

Unlocking doors along exit route:
Hacking 4 + Spoof 3 + Ability (hacking) 2 + Hotsim 2 = 11d6.hits(5)=3
UmaroVI
Possessing the Orderly: Force x 2 (12)+Vessel(6)=18d6 vs. OR (5), 7 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3738405/
Buddha72
Ok talked with Fenris to work out some details (thanks for indulging my action film needs) and how to roll out my actions.

Clubs + Agility (+1 Reach, +2 Superior Position, +2 Charging Attack, +1 Multi-Strike) 1st Attack
9d6.hits(5)=4

Clubs + Agility (+1 Reach, +2 Superior Position, +2 Charging Attack) 2nd Attack
9d6.hits(5)=5

Bsse damage is 4S.
Fenris
NotsoEvilDM - The 8 actual people that are marked as guards are now marked as flagged (A little hand-waving here, in the future you'll need a little more work to do this, like finding a valid user list and removing them, or changing transponder codes so they're no longer 'friendly' in the IFF, or something similar).

Admin access gives you the ability to just 'Issue Command' for the drones.

'Issue Command' can also be used for the doors, since you're issuing the same command to multiple devices.

Turning on the sprinklers would also be 'Issue Command'.

Lacking definitive criteria for 'Safe Route', I'm assuming that means by the minimum number of human guards possible and through the minimum number of doors.

Unlocking doors are also available for 'Issue Command', again since you have Admin access.

Umaro - Successful!

Buddha - Since they were previously unaware of you, they won't be able to Dodge, Block, or Parry, so both will hit.

Damage Resistance Rolls: Impact Armor(2) + Body (3) (5d6.hits(5)=2, 5d6.hits(5)=1)

Ganger 1 will take 6S. Ganger 2 will take 8S.

Opposing Inititiave:

Intuition(2) + Reaction(6) (8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=5, 8d6.hits(5)=4)

Ganger 3 - 12
Ama - 11/4 <<
Ganger 2 - 13 11
Ganger 1 - 10 8

[Edited to minus dice from initiative score for damage penalties.]

Ganger 3 - Perception: Perception(2) + Intuition(2) - Vr (cool.gif + Longshot Edge(1) (1d6.hits(5)=0)

Upon referencing, looks like VR is only a -6, but he's still only rolling the 1 point longshot from Edge, so no new roll necessary.
BishopMcQ
Back from the week of emotional hell, but I got to see good friends in the process. Will be posting today.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Fenris @ Oct 22 2012, 06:23 AM) *
NotsoEvilDM - The 8 actual people that are marked as guards are now marked as flagged (A little hand-waving here, in the future you'll need a little more work to do this, like finding a valid user list and removing them, or changing transponder codes so they're no longer 'friendly' in the IFF, or something similar).
Fenris, Do let me know if I've missed a roll, or just make it for Shivan. My knowledge of the 4e matrix rules is a bit iffy.

Quick question: are the dogs actually biodrones. I don't want to screw over game balance but if they are, Shivan would like to steal one or two (or ideally all of them).

Next actions are to flag the ORCA team as 'friendly' or at least not 'hostile'. Then either take control of the dog drones or send them off to exit B and gas them, while leading the ORCA team to my cage, unlocking the cage and getting the frag out.

Let me know what you want in the way of rolls and then I'll put up a post.

Buddha72
Simple Action to stand and then another Simple Action to ready the chair as a weapon - moving towards the two men that were hit with the table.
BishopMcQ
Perception Test (Intuition 4 + Perception 3)
Perception (7d6.hits(5)=1)

Scent Bonus dice
Scent (2d6.hits(5)=1)

Assensing (Intuition 4 + Assensing 4)
Assensing (Babs) (8d6.hits(5)=1)
Assensing (Building) (8d6.hits(5)=2)
Fenris
Bishop

I do hope you're feeling better this week!

Babs is mundane (as far as you can tell, mwa ha ha ha ha), in relatively better health than most people you've seen, and is worried/anxious.

The building is overlaid with a Rating 1 Background count aspected towards pain and suffering.

For general perception, you see the building, a (relatively) reinforced front door, scraps of construction plastic over most of the other windows, though the first few to each side of the door on both the first and second floors are cracked enough that you think they'd provide someone with a clear line of sight for perception, firearms, and magic down at the front of the building. Scent gives you the reek of putrefying garbage and the overlapping travels of two dozen or so figures that have traveled that very spot you occupy dozens, if not hundreds of times.

Ama

Ganger 3 - 12
Ama - 11/4
Ganger 2 - 13 11
Ganger 1 - 10 8 <<

One shot from Ganger 2 - Pistols (3) + Agility (3) - Wound Penalties (2) (4d6.hits(5)=0) - goes wide.

One shot from Ganger 1 - Pistols (3) + Agility (3) - Wound Penalties (2) (4d6.hits(5)=2) (minus the last die because of the Defender Walking penalty, so only 1 actual success on the roll).

2 hits, need a Dodge roll please, and please indicate if you are burning your next pass to add the Dodge/Gymnastics dice, or just rolling Reaction.

Shivan

Thanks, and I'll be sure to mention it. I want to keep things moving along a little bit in the intro, since your situation was sort of an en-media-res bit. I'll handwave flipping the 'hostile' to 'friendly' flag, same as before.

I'm fine with you trying to snatch the dogs, just keep in mind everything that goes along with the idea that the facility is designed to test experimental augmentations on paranormal creatures/mundane critters.

With Admin access, nothing you're doing at this point is more than just 'Issuing Commands', so I'm fine skipping past the roll-less actions.
Buddha72
Reaction (not burning an action)
4d6.hits(5)=1

Woot!
BishopMcQ
Was the door unlocked?
UmaroVI
I'm going to be moving this weekend, so I'll probably be on less for a few days.
Fenris
Buddha - Nice dodge! You're up again.

Second pass
Ganger 3 - 12
Ama - 11/4 <<
Ganger 2(8S) - 11
Ganger 1(6S) - 8

Bishop - The door is most definitely some flavor of locked biggrin.gif (I think I was already writing my post when you put up yours.)

Umaro - Just to be clear, I'm assuming if you're talking again that you're out of the EVO? You know what, can you do me a favor and put that in your gear list? It sounds weird, but a "Currently Possessed Form" or something like that?
BishopMcQ
Time to smash down a door...

Attribute Boost (Mag 6 + Agi 3) (9d6.hits(5)=4)

Unarmed (Agi 3 + Boost 4 + Unarmed 5 + Imp Ability 2 + Reach 1)
15d6.hits(5)=4
15d6.hits(5)=5
15d6.hits(5)=8

Base DV 6P, AP -3
First Strike -- 10P
Second Strike -- 11P
Third Strike -- 14P
UmaroVI
Yes, and good idea.
UmaroVI
Hurricane Sandy is incoming. I may lose my matrix connection IRL.
Fenris
Bishop
Resistance Rolls on door:

Armor Rating of Structure(cool.gif (8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=4)

I didn't see anything about Penetrating Strike acting differently for barriers, so I'm assuming the -3 AP wouldn't count? Enough to bust it down though ;D

Roll initiative please!

Buddha72
OK going to split my attacks with the chair between the already injured men in the room with me.

Clubs + Agility (+1 Multi Strike, +2 Superior Position) vs Ganger 1
6d6.hits(5)=3

Clubs + Agility (+1 Multi Strike, +2 Superior Position) vs Ganger 2
6d6.hits(5)=2

Base damage is 4S for each.
BishopMcQ
Fenris--I figured AP was just AP, but cool, no worries.

Initiative (10d6.hits(5)=3) 13/3 passes (don't know how many have happened or if I'm in a different fight than Ama.)
UmaroVI
I used the "----------" to indicate Boots is waiting for what Sean says before the next quoted part is said.
Fenris
Ama and Mato

Ganger's 2 and 1 will dodge: Reaction(6) + Dodge(2) - Wound Modifiers(2) (6d6.hits(5)=2, 6d6.hits(5)=5)

Ganger 1: Impact Armor(2) + Body(3) (5d6.hits(5)=3) - He'll take 2S, and fall unconscious.

Second pass
Ganger 3 - 12
Mato - 13/3 <<
Ama - 11/4
Ganger 2(8S) - 11/1
Ganger 1(6S) - 8/1

Mato, you're up!

Umaro - I'm assuming Sean would be at least peripherally aware of the general concept of your possession, since you'd have done it before with Bea. You can definitely consider him woefully lacking in details smile.gif
UmaroVI
On the IC post, I was talking about filling him in on the dream pact. I figured that was the sort of thing he might want to know about sooner rather than "oh yeah I've been possessing while you sleep for the last month."

Judge Intentions on Sean: just checking Boots got the same impression I did, which is that Sean feels guilty and doesn't suspect anyone else of setting us up. Charisma(5)+Intuition(5) =10d6, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3758295/ 3 hits. I'm assuming the answer is "yes" on my next IC post.
BishopMcQ
Activating elemental strike and talking.

Judge Intentions (closest analogue for determining the predator/prey vibe)
8d6.hits(5)=3
Fenris
Umaro - Definitely guilty, but there's more there. Further questioning may reveal more details smile.gif

Ama and Mato

Second pass
Ganger 3 - 12
Mato - 13/3
Ama - 11/4 <<
Ganger 2(8S) - 11/1
Ganger 3/4 - 10
Ganger 5/6 - 9
Ganger 1(6S) - 8/1

Ama, you're up!
Buddha72
Martial Arts + Agility
7d6.hits(5)=1

Ick!

Base damage is 2S.
UmaroVI
What exactly does Boots remember about what happened?
Fenris
Mato and Ama

Ganger 1 dodges - Reaction(6) + Dodge(2) - Wound Modifiers(2) (6d6.hits(5)=3)
(Forgot to take off the die for his second action since his last pass, but even taking off the last die, which was a success, he's still got two.)

Bishop, you can go ahead and give me a Perception check with the Distracted(-2), Perceiver not in immediate vicinity (-2) against a threshold of 1 (Obvious/Large/Loud).

Ganger 3 Thrown Weapons - Agility(3) + Thrown Weapons(2) - No Direct LOS(6) + Direction(1) + Scatter(1) (2d6=9)

No successes, scatters forward and to the right 3 meters away from Mato.

Third pass
Ganger 3 - 12
Mato - 13/3 <<
Ama - 11/4
Ganger 3/4 - 10
Ganger 5/6 - 9
Ganger 1(6S) - 8/1

Mato is up!

Umaro - There was a run. Sean lined it up with some friends of his. They fought about it, Bea and Sean, before they actually told the rest of the group. Bea didn't want to go, thought it was too risky, didn't want to get involved with Sean's friends. Sean said he didn't have a choice, now, and that he was going to go, with or without her. She gave in and went, reluctantly. The job was a break-in, and it was obvious from the beginning that there was a lot more security then they'd had to deal with before. It was a corporate facility, complete with complicated electronic security, magic wards and spirits, and drones. The group had gotten past the first few layers, thanks to some security codes provided by Sean's friend, and Bea's magic (with your help), but it was obvious that security teams had been alerted when the spirits were dealt with. Some guy had shown up, then, with a group of security around him. It was obvious from the way he was dressed he wasn't standard security. An elf, he had an old fashioned looking longsword that was obviously a powerful focus to you, and several other power foci on him. He'd held up his hand and blown something, like one would blow a kiss, a small, white-hot ball of flame that drifted off his palm, landed amid the runner group, and exploded in a blinding wash of heat and light. That's when you'd been ripped away from Bea and flung back to your metaplane.
BishopMcQ
Fenris--Anything from my Judge Intentions?
Perception + Intuition -4 (3d6.hits(5)=1)
Fenris
Bishop -My apologies, thanks for pointing that out. The emotional impression you get is like kicking over an ant hill. Lots of frantic activity, but it seems more like just disorganization then 'prey'.
BishopMcQ
Unarmed (Agi 3 + Boost 4 + Unarmed 5 + Imp Ability 2 + Reach 1) (15d6.hits(5)=2)
Opponent Prone Bonus (3d6.hits(5)=2) (I think he's prone from the flavor text...)

Base Damage is 6P (Fire) AP 1/2

Note to self: do not fight prone in melee, +3 to attacker and -2 to defender...brutal.

To notice the change in Ama's smell
Perception 3 + Intuition 4 + Scent 2 - Distracted 2 (7d6.hits(5)=3)
Notsoevildm
@Fenris
Some rolls to support matrix actions in post - let me know if you need any other / additional rolls.

Editing the dog's node to slave to Shivan's commlink:
Computer 4 + Edit 5 = 9d6.hits(5)=3

Analyze dog's node for signs of dog consciousness in there:
Computer 4 + Analyze 5 = 9d6.hits(5)=5 - living brain in there, system rating, programs running, other bits of useful info?

Where is the missing hidden node:
Computer 4 + Scan 5 = 9d6.hits(5)=5

Analyze on missing hidden node:
9d6.hits(5)=3 - what type of node is it, system rating, firewall rating
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012