Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So do you own firearms in your real life?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Arethusa
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ Apr 23 2004, 03:29 PM)
To be clear to those living outside the US, the second amendment doesn't actually guarantee individuals the right to own firearms, it grants that right to well REGULATED militias, such as the National Guard.  The reason people are allowed to own guns is that prohibitions against it, while not constitutionally prohibited, don't necessarily exist. The right to own guns comes from the rage of conservatives in the voting booth, not the constitution.

Not to turn this into a debate over the 2nd Amendment, but, ahem:
QUOTE (US Constitution @ Amendment IX)
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
D.Generate
I own many firearms. I just said however since I use them for everything there is no primary reason for owning them. And since others have posted what they have I will to.

S&W .38 Special
S&W .357
Winchester 12ga pump
Winchester 20ga pump
IMI .50 Desert Eagle (Brushed Nickle finish)
IMI 30-06 Lone Eagle
.444 Marlin lever action
30.30 Marlin Lever action
Marlin .22 Semi auto rifle
H&K .45 Compact
De-Miled AR-15
.454 Taurus
SKS .223 Rifle

I think thats it I had a few more Handguns But I gave them to my old my for his cabin up north so he could fuck around up there.
Connor
QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
Any recommendations to someone wanting to buy their first pistol? Something easy to upkeep and easy to handle for learning to shoot one?
There's some information on CZ pistols at CZforum. I own a CZ 75 Compact and like it. One thing to keep in mind: have you ever talked to a Mac owner? These people are a bit biased like that...

Funny you should say that. I am a Mac owner. smile.gif

Although, not the rapid kind you're talking about. Thanks for the pointer.
mcb
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
To be clear to those living outside the US, the second amendment doesn't actually guarantee individuals the right to own firearms, it grants that right to well REGULATED militias, such as the National Guard.  The reason people are allowed to own guns is that prohibitions against it, while not constitutionally prohibited, don't necessarily exist. The right to own guns comes from the rage of conservatives in the voting booth, not the constitution.

Article [I.]
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Article [II.]
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Article [IV.]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Why is it that everyone is willing to except that the phrase ‘the right of the people’ in the first and forth amendments refer to the rights of and individual but suddenly in the second amendment that same exact phrase, written by the same people suddenly does not mean the rights of the individual? That is 100%, top quality BS!

You can believe that the second amendment needs to be change to take that right away from the individual but to trying to spin the meaning of the second amendment to conflict with the language of the other amendments as written is just really lame. You can come up with better reason that makes more sense if you think individual owning weapon is a bad idea.

mcb
Bearclaw
Your second amendment quote has commas in the wrong place or something. Anyway, that's an excellent point and I'd not thought of it that way before.
BitBasher
I own an HK USP-40 and have a CCW to go with it here in Nevada. Nevada requires a class and a proficiency exam for a CCW but the exam is really, really pathetic. It's 6 shots right handed and 6 left handed from 3, 5, and 10 yards. You just have to keep 80% of your shots inside the main ring on a #45 target. Essnetially a target the size of a human torso.

I have seen things at the ranges that make mne want to scream. Twice I have been giben the wrong caliber ammo with a rental gun. I have seen someone (From Englang) rent a DE .50 and rest their thumb straight up the back of the gun, with the end resting right behind the hammer when they fired their first shot. For anyone that can visualize what im talking about it's not a pretty thing. Cleanly snapped his thumb, coumpound, lots of blood, and a trip to the emergency room followed.

I have seen someone utterly destoy a firearm by loading 9mm+p rounds into a .40 and when they pulled the trigger the first ime nothing happened, as the bullet rested fareenough in the the pin couldnt hit it. He then shrugged and racked the slide again, chambered a second round as the first round slid into the barrel, because it was the wrong caliber. Well, before anyone could yell he immediately snapped off a shot, destoyed the gun and blew the slide off entirely. Miraculously he was unharmed.

Some people just dont have common sense or think anything through.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Solstice)
hundreds of thousands of people die every year in car accidents but you don't see heavy regulation or reduction in car ownership.

Actually, there is very heavy regulation on cars, much more that on say shotguns. And, there is a comprehensive registration policy, as well as plates. If your CAR is used in a robbery, you are probably in trouble. But if your shotgun is used in a robbery, no one would know, because there is no registration.
mcb
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Your second amendment quote has commas in the wrong place or something. Anyway, that's an excellent point and I'd not thought of it that way before.

That was the way I cut and pasted it right from: http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Amend.html Where do you think the comma's should be??
BitBasher
But if your shotgun is used in a robbery, no one would know, because there is no registration.
Kind of moot since buckshot doesnt leave ballistic evidence anyway...
gknoy
QUOTE (Req)
When one of these [nimrods] comes in I often take a break if I'm positioned anywhere near them, and watch them put rounds into the ceiling and walls and floor and basically anywhere that isn't their target.

eek.gif

Having never been to a gun range except the boy scout .22 range (hehe) ... i didn't even know it was POSSIBLE to not hit the target. With a pistol.

Shit, I do archery (well, did - 1 year hiatus now =( ), and I am pretty damn sure that if I had a rifle or pistol I could hit just about any target I wanted to (maybe not score well, but hit the paper) at out to 30 yards, and probably 40 (tho I can't see well there w/o glasses).

I am curious as to how these people manage to hit the walls and ceiling ... then again, I don't reallywant to know. all the more reason to not take the stall next to someone wink.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (Connor)
Any recommendations to someone wanting to buy their first pistol? Something easy to upkeep and easy to handle for learning to shoot one?

I hope you are still reading this Connor becasue it is very important for you to have a good experience the first time you shoot. I know people who have fired the wrong gun for the first time, and it has sowered them on guns. I recomed a .22 caliber pistol, any make really will do. Here is a link to some Ruger guns. They are excellent firearms and a joy to learn on. It is the weapon my father started me on when I was six. The best part is they only cost a couple of hundred dollars and ammo is very inexpensive.

As for the guns I own.

S&W Model 357 .45ACP
Chinese SKS 7.62

*Sigh* I wish I owned more, but they are expensive.

As for the ones I have fired....

.22 Ruger
.357 S&W
9mm P-89 (Ruger Pistol)
9mm Berreta (USAR Sidearm)
.44 S&W
.45ACP 1911 Colt Commando

.30-06
M16A1-A2
M248 SAW
M60 (Oh baby so much fun)
M-2 .50 Cal

As with the other list, I wish it was more.
Clyde
I'm not a particularly experienced shooter and don't own a gun, but I've researched a fair bit about shooting. There are some common problems that can cause you to miss pretty wildly: flinching in anticipation of the shot and jerking the trigger really hard can both do it. They're supposed to be common problems in new shooters. Of course, just being a careless boob could do it too.
Solstice
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 23 2004, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 03:00 PM)
I own about 14 guns and work for a wildlife agency. I use firearms for work and recreation (hunting, shooting, volunteering).

Man, what kind of volunteer work is this?

youth hunter education/firearm instruction

So you're hunting youths, eh? I could go for some of that.

Ha funny!
Solstice
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 08:02 AM)
hundreds of thousands of people die every year in car accidents but you don't see heavy regulation or reduction in car ownership.

Actually, there is very heavy regulation on cars, much more that on say shotguns. And, there is a comprehensive registration policy, as well as plates. If your CAR is used in a robbery, you are probably in trouble. But if your shotgun is used in a robbery, no one would know, because there is no registration.

Thanks Captain Obvious!!!!

Jesus I love it when people act ignorant to ignore your point.

Since basic logic eludes you, my point is:

they don't ban/outlaw cars that are more capable of killing people than other cars.
Fahr
I shoot, enjoy it a whole lot, and I love the taste of wild boar.

I own:
winchester model 98 12 gauge shotgun (1926)
Remmington 700 30-06 (2000)
Remmington 710 30-06 (2000) wife's gun
.22 bolt action rifle

and I am borrowing a .357 magnum Ruger revolver

I also shoot close groups from my pse II compund bow, and whack people with foam swords

smile.gif

-mike R
Siege
QUOTE (Connor)

Answer several questions first:

1. Why am I buying a handgun?

a. Self defense.
b. Recreational shooting.
c. misguided compensation for perceived physical/mental inadequacies.

A) Sign up for a handgun course offered either by the NRA or your local gun range. They will teach you all the basics of weapon safety and marksmanship. Then try a couple of rentals and gauge 1) Caliber 2) Weapon type and 3) Budget.

You should check out how each weapon feels in your hand and if you like the SA, DA or SA/DA actions, the external safety (or lack thereof) and so forth.

I own a Sig 220 and I love it. Should I buy another handgun, I'll probably stick with the Sig line, but they are not cheap.

While I am not a fan of the 9mm range, who am I to argue with far too many police departments? A .45 is a mankiller, but difficult to control. A .40 S&W tends to be a happy compromise, although I haven't fired that ammo type as yet (I have tried both .45 and 9mm), I am told the recoil falls inbetween the two previousl mentioned rounds.

B) Look at a .22. Relatively cheap to purchase both the gun and ammo and you can put rounds down-range all day for minimal cost. However, I strongly urge taking a handgun safety course as mentioned above.

C) Dude, do I need to finish an answer to this one?

-Siege
Solstice
QUOTE (Fahr)
I shoot, enjoy it a whole lot, and I love the taste of wild boar.
and whack people with foam swords

smile.gif

-mike R

Heh good to hear. I just recently started beating my friends with foam swords. Such a healthy release of my boiling anger.
Connor
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Connor @ Apr 23 2004, 11:05 AM)

I hope you are still reading this Connor becasue it is very important for you to have a good experience the first time you shoot. I know people who have fired the wrong gun for the first time, and it has sowered them on guns. I recomed a .22 caliber pistol, any make really will do. Here is a link to some Ruger guns. They are excellent firearms and a joy to learn on. It is the weapon my father started me on when I was six. The best part is they only cost a couple of hundred dollars and ammo is very inexpensive.

Yeah, I'm still hanging around. I used to have a little experience with .22 rifles back in the scouts and with one an uncle owned. I always enjoyed it and it's something I've thought about getting back into doing.

Obviously I'd like to get into pistol shooting too, but I have zero experience there. I've considered just joining with one of the ranges here that loan guns to members and what not and just getting a bit of expierence on some to begin with before purchasing too. Although I think owning something basic to start with might be nice.

Ah well, as soon as I have some money I'll just have to dive in and have some fun with it one way or another.
Siege
I own a Sig 220 handgun, chambered in .45 ammo.

I've fired .22 rifles and shotguns in the Boy Scouts -- I was disturbingly accurate with the .22 (I shot the clips off the targets at range). I've also tried a 9mm Sig, although it was a rental and I can't remember the specific model -- 226, maybe?

Control and Legislation
I feel some legislation is good and proper, but I don't think banning all weapons is the answer. Until the 2nd amendment is actually repealed or heavily altered, the citizen still has the basic right to own firearms. I don't know if someone from Japan could verify this, but is the number one murder weapon kitchen knives?

As long as people have emotions, there will be murders -- the weapon choice may change, but humans will find a way.

Oh yeah, that little town that requires handgun ownership? Obviously biased, but it references the basic idea.

As for the deeply embedded concept of Americans and guns, I believe it stems from our Wild West frontier days and an underlying idea of rugged individualist, no matter how dated that concept may be. As the sayings go, "God made Man; Sam Colt made them equal", "Gun control is hitting your target" and "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

We don't have any completely unabridged rights -- Free Speech? You can't yell fire in a crowded theater, you can't slander someone, you can't threaten to kill the President, etc. While this may raise the hackles of the NRA, I similarly believe that some legislation is required for firearms, but I'm a Moderate in this regard; I don't follow the Liberal banner of "ban them all and let the Supreme Court sort it out."

Firearms tend to be the obvious target when you read about a school shooting, or a pair of nuts rob a bank in military grade body armor or someone goes postal at a day trading center. But I would submit that obvious and simple answers rarely fit complex problems.

It's like trying to treat a disease -- it's difficult to fix one part of the intricate and delicate system without upsetting other areas of the body.

Cultural Phenomenon
It is ingrained in our cultural identity -- although that tends not to manifest nearly so much in heavily urban areas, where firearms are not quite as intrinsic to a way of life.

Have you ever tried to explain the game of baseball to someone, especially someone from another country, only to stop in mid-explanation and marvel at how silly it is?

-Siege
Req
I've fired basically all the guns my local shop will rent me: Sigs, Glocks, H&K, S&W, Colt, Kimber, Ruger, and others. .22, 9mm, .40, .45, .357, .44 Mag, and probably a few more. And I'd say you should go to a range and rent a variety of weapons before buying anything. My girlfriend loves Ruger; I'm a H&K and Kimber guy. My roomate was all about the SIG, and I even know some people who swear by Glocks.

My point is, it's a question of what feels right in your hand. If you've got small hands, you'll hate the H&K Mk.23 even though it's a damn fine gun; it just feels too big. Try a variety of things and see what you like; it's a personal decision.

For the first time, start with a .22. They're a lot cheaper to shoot, no real recoil, and not scary. If you can get a range guy or an experienced buddy to give you a quick briefing or lesson or something, so much the better, but I didn't find it that hard to pick up solo. But do try it; shooting is a fair bit of fun.

Personally I don't really want to own a gun. I live in the city; I'll never be shooting except at a range, and I'll just rent there. It gives me the chance to try a lot of stuff without dropping a thousand bucks (hey, I like the nice ones). Unless you've got acres to shoot on your own in, or want to go pistol-hunting or something, I wouldn't think it's worth it other than the Home Defense thing - and that's a whole different rant. smile.gif
lodestar
I refuse to state the weapons that I might or might not own to avoid incriminating myself. nyahnyah.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)

All of that might be true if you manage to skip the part about how "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The Second Amendment does, as a fatter of fact, gaurantee your right as an individual citizen of the United States of America to keep and bear arms. But you don't have to believe me. You can just look into what the founding fathers had to say about it (The Federalist Papers, Jefferson's writings, Adams' writings, etc...). That pretty much makes it clear what they meant by it.

For those of you who missed it the first 15 times...

QUOTE (The Second Amendment of the United States of America)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It goes like this: The people make up a militia. A militia is not supported by the state. It is made up of everyday people who are capable of fighting as a group, as opposed to paid, professional soldiers.

QUOTE (Dictionary.com)
Militia: 1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers. 2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency. 3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.

Now, in a time of war, when you need people to fight, it may be quite difficult to equip them with the tools they need to fight for several reasons. How do you get around that? You gaurantee them the right to keep and bear arms and you have them bring their own guns! Amazing.

The National Guard is funded by the federal government. It is a reserve military force under command of the governor of the state in which the unit resides, and is regularly trained and equipped by the federal government. Being military reserve, they can be called by both state and federal governments in times of need, be it war, natural disaster, etc...

QUOTE (Dictionary.com)
National Guard: The military reserve units controlled by each state of the United States, equipped by the federal government and subject to the call of either the federal or the state government.
Thistledown
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Thistledown @ Apr 23 2004, 12:32 PM)
I shoot people with my crossbow all the time though.

What's the draw weight, and if it's under 25lbs, where can I find one?

~J

I'm actually not sure the draw, but for the length of it's stroke, its definately less than the equivalent of a 30lb bow. (I also use that sometimes, but not as often.)

I got the crossbow at the fleemarket for $15. Somebody had taken apart a .22 rifle and modified the stock to be the chasis for the crossbow. then they replaced the trigger mechanism to raise and lower prongs (ech, horible way to hold a crosbow string), and attatched the prod (the bow part of a crossbow) near the front of the stock.

I've yet to get a proper bowstring for it. Been using regular shock-cord, which give me decent range but starts to stretch out after a few shots. The guy at the local archery shop thought that putting a real bowstring on it would snap the prod, but he only really dealt with synthetic materials on his crossbows.

Now I've done some more research on it, towards building a new crossbow from scratch, and discovered that this prod is actually a wood called "black palm," which is excellent for making bows out of. I hope to get down to the shop (It's a ways away) to get a real string soon, then find out the draw with a good string on it.

The new crossbow is so I can put a better cocking mechanism and better trigger. Send me a message if you'd like pictures of the crossbow or anything.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 23 2004, 03:15 PM)

they don't ban/outlaw cars that are more capable of killing people than other cars.

You made a completely untrue statement and I corrected you. I am not in any way against honest citizens owning firearms, and I have no desire to ban them. I believe that guns, as things that are designed to kill, quickly and easily over great distance, should be at least as carefully tracked as automobiles are. Which, much like guns, only kill people when improporly used.
Check the quotes. Did I lie? Exactly which part of what you said was I too ignorant to understand? Mostly, you used flat BS to make a point, and I pointed it out. Don't be mad. You should have known some one would.
tisoz
I lived in a bad part of a city about the time SR came out. Some of the ideas people had astounded me. One that was relayed to me by a house mate was that if I were to be murdered, no one would notice. Yes, this ws one of the more ridiculous ideas, but since I was new to the area and no one new me, it was assumed I had no family or friends. The police wouldn't care (this I think was truer than anyone would like to admit), it would just mean some more paperwork. (I say this because I quit calling them to report burglaries after the third, because they were only taking a statement for insurance purposes, no insurance - SOL.)

Any way, what was funny is I have a huge family. That day I found it prudent to go armed to the nearest pay phone. Funny thing was, no one gave me a second look even carrying a rifle. I called my brothers and told them the situation and to come visit me and to carry.

I contrived an excuse that required their assistance in crawling under the house. So in front of the house mate's eyes (my neighborhood link) they disarmed while we talked about guns, friends and relatives. The house mate's eyes got bigger and bigger with every gun that was set upon the washer and dryer (that acted like a big drum, amplifying any knock or rattle.) They surprised even me by having 5 guns between the two of them.

No threats were made, no shots were fired and I had no more problems with the neighbors.
spotlite
QUOTE (Raygun @ Apr 23 2004, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)

All of that might be true if you manage to skip the part about how "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The Second Amendment does, as a fatter of fact, gaurantee your right as an individual citizen of the United States of America to keep and bear arms. (snip - I take your point though!)

It goes like this: The people make up a militia. A militia is not supported by the state. It is made up of everyday people who are capable of fighting as a group, as opposed to paid, professional soldiers.

<snip>

I see what you're saying. However, I fall back on the fact that the militia must be 'well regulated'. Also, you should have to be capable of joining the militia - if you are not capable of taking those arms up in times of strife, you shouldn't be allowed to have the gun, at least if you are regulating your militia.

If its unofficial it can't be regulated, therefore it must be an official force even if its not directly supported or funded by the state. You should have civil militia membership papers or something in order to get the weapon. Maybe no pay, maybe no official heirarchy, but there should be something to identify you as a member of the militia before you can bear arms because that's what you're bearing them for. This condition may of course be satisfied by simple citizenship and conditional on having an ID card, so that would include just about everyone. But by your own admission, they must also be capable of fighting together and physically fit and eligible by law to join the military. Therefore if they become incapable of that, their weapons should be removed.

Does not the mention of the militia impose a pre-condition on the right of the people in this case, cos its mentioned first? It may or may not have been the intent, but I would think legally that was pretty clear. I'm not a lawyer nor a member of the US, however, so I'm not at all claiming to be an authority. Just a first impression from what I've read. I realise this is a sensitive issue, and I'm not passing judgement. I live in a country where guns are still relatively rare, and where until a couple of years ago we didn't even have specific rights (didn't stop people beleiving they did cos of all the american TV shows though...), so I'm certainly not criticising a country where yours are enshrined in law, however much it sometimes seems as if they get ignored!
Fresno Bob
I don't have any guns, but I've fired a Desert Eagle .44, a Beretta 92, and an HK MP5, which was really cool.
Solstice
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 01:08 PM)

You made a completely untrue statement and I corrected you. I am not in any way against honest citizens owning firearms, and I have no desire to ban them. I believe that guns, as things that are designed to kill, quickly and easily over great distance, should be at least as carefully tracked as automobiles are. Which, much like guns, only kill people when improporly used.
Check the quotes. Did I lie? Exactly which part of what you said was I too ignorant to understand? Mostly, you used flat BS to make a point, and I pointed it out. Don't be mad. You should have known some one would.

No what I said was not bs. I wouldn't call cars "heavily regulated". You go down take your tests, get a license, go buy any car you want. There are no cars that are "illegal" for you to drive (except vehicles that require additional endorsements).

When you buy a gun you stand around for 2 hours and fill out paperwork while they consult Big Brother about the peanuts they've been picking out of your shit. You can't buy any gun you want. Some guns are off limits to the normal person.

With cars your freedom to choose is only limited by your finances.

That is my point.

Then you reply like I didn't know cars had plates. Please. I wasn't addressing that oh so obvious aspect.
Solstice
The original object of a milita is to guard against tyranny. Seems counter productive for is to be "regulated" by any governmental entity. Regardless there are numerous state militias (especially in my state) that are only loosely affliated to the state and then by geography only.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 06:41 PM)
The original object of a milita is to guard against tyranny.

BS. The original intention of a militia was to guard against roving bandits or the neighboring country or the Natives or whatever.

~J
spotlite
nevertheless, the consitution clearly states it must be well regulated.

I've read some of those legal arguments, and none of them have actually broached this subject head on. Seperate phrases get used to shore up arguments, but none of them have tackled it fully. I'd be interested to know what would happen if someone over there decided to sue the state for failing in its constitutional duty to regulate said militia...
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 23 2004, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 01:08 PM)

No what I said was not bs. I wouldn't call cars "heavily regulated". You go down take your tests, get a license, go buy any car you want. There are no cars that are "illegal" for you to drive (except vehicles that require additional endorsements).

When you buy a gun you stand around for 2 hours and fill out paperwork while they consult Big Brother about the peanuts they've been picking out of your shit. You can't buy any gun you want. Some guns are off limits to the normal person.

With cars your freedom to choose is only limited by your finances.

That is my point.

Then you reply like I didn't know cars had plates. Please. I wasn't addressing that oh so obvious aspect.

So how bout you be careful about calling names, and I don't continue to pick on your posts. I don't really disagree with you.
I don't believe in keeping honest adults from doing much of anything, including owning guns with 100 round magazines. As long as some one has a good plan to keep those who are not law abiding adults from having them.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (spotlite)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Apr 23 2004, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)

All of that might be true if you manage to skip the part about how "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The Second Amendment does, as a fatter of fact, gaurantee your right as an individual citizen of the United States of America to keep and bear arms. (snip - I take your point though!)

<snip>

I see what you're saying. However, I fall back on the fact that the militia must be 'well regulated'. Also, you should have to be capable of joining the militia - if you are not capable of taking those arms up in times of strife, you shouldn't be allowed to have the gun, at least if you are regulating your militia.

If its unofficial it can't be regulated, therefore it must be an official force even if its not directly supported or funded by the state. You should have civil militia membership papers or something in order to get the weapon. Maybe no pay, maybe no official heirarchy, but there should be something to identify you as a member of the militia before you can bear arms because that's what you're bearing them for. This condition may of course be satisfied by simple citizenship and conditional on having an ID card, so that would include just about everyone. But by your own admission, they must also be capable of fighting together and physically fit and eligible by law to join the military. Therefore if they become incapable of that, their weapons should be removed.

Does not the mention of the militia impose a pre-condition on the right of the people in this case, cos its mentioned first? It may or may not have been the intent, but I would think legally that was pretty clear. I'm not a lawyer nor a member of the US, however, so I'm not at all claiming to be an authority. Just a first impression from what I've read. I realise this is a sensitive issue, and I'm not passing judgement. I live in a country where guns are still relatively rare, and where until a couple of years ago we didn't even have specific rights (didn't stop people beleiving they did cos of all the american TV shows though...), so I'm certainly not criticising a country where yours are enshrined in law, however much it sometimes seems as if they get ignored!

Read the amendment. Don't think about anything else, don't think about gun control, or anything else, just read the words.

Nowhere is it writen or even implied that being in a militia is a prerequisite of Bearing Arms. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment does not require a militia. Ironically, it doesn't even secure the right to start, join, or be a member of a militia. The difference between the second amendment and almost all other amendments to the Constitution is that it has a singular purpose: to guarantee the right of the American people to own weapons. Anything added to or taken away from that purpose is beyond the scope of the 2nd Amendment.
Austere Emancipator
If you consider only the US to be of any importance when discussing weapons, cars or laws related to them, you can completely ignore me.

On cars:
In my country, if you have a criminal record, and especially if you have committed even a misdemeanor related to traffic (with a moped, for example), you're going to have a really hard time getting a driver's license. The police runs basic background checks on everyone who wants one.

In order to be allowed to drive a vehicle, you have to study the regulations for dozens of hours and pass an exam on a computer about everything you might need to know about driving cars in Finland. Only then are you allowed to practice driving in a real car. After a number of hours driven under tutoring, you have to pass a driving exam -- this I suppose is the same in almost all Western countries. This exam includes driving in traffic, on an ice track, in the dark, etc. Then you get a temporary license.

After 2 years, I think it was, you have to pass further exams, in the usual settings, but with more stringent requirements. If you pass this, you get your final drivers license. This is just for normal passenger cars, driving a truck requires further written exams and driving exams. Putting all that together, getting a driver's license for all kinds of vehicles (motorcycles, cars of all sizes, trucks, tractors, etc, excluding only buses which require extensive experience with trucks and similar vehicles to qualify for) costs in the order of 1,500-2,000€.

There is a huge number of regulations on building and selling cars. The safety of the car for the driver as well as everybody else is the main factor here -- you can't build and sell cars with bad breaks even if the car can be proven to be almost impossible to damage and to protect the passengers extremely well. Other misc stuff that is clearly regulated with cars around here: The width of car tyres, volume levels, enviromental issues like emissions, lights not to disturb other drivers, the location of bumpers to minimize damage to other cars, etc etc.

I'm not sure if it's a law in Finland, but I think at least in Germany all cars are required to be speed-capped to 250km/h in the factory. I think in Japan there are regulations that limit street cars to 276hp.

Getting a gun here is far simpler than getting a car, and the permit is certainly a lot cheaper to get than a driver's license. We have no limitations on things like grips, flash hiders, stocks, barrel length, etc. Banning fully automatic weapons can be considered to be the equivalent of capping vehicle speed, capping magazine sizes to be similar to car engine power. Concealed carry is not allowed under any circumstances anywhere -- and with our crime rates it could not possibly be justified, either, with an average of 1.5 people (criminally) killed by strangers over the past 10 years.

At least for me, then, the argument that cars are less regulated doesn't work out. Neither does the argument that cars are significantly more lethal: 388 people died here in traffic accidents in 2001 , while 350-360 were killed with firearms, including suicides in both.

Someone could be really original and start arguing about the lack of regulation on bladed weapons, now.

And I still don't think this has anything to do with Shadowrun, and can think of only 2 reasons why this hasn't been shut down yet: Admins haven't noticed this yet, or they don't want to anger people by shutting it down until it gets really ugly.
Clyde
It seems to me that arguing about the second amendment is a little premature.
The fact is, the United States of America is a heavily armed society with a complex set of largely ineffective laws regarding firearms and weapons in general. There aren't at present any major attempts to change those laws, and there haven't been very many changes in our lifetimes that are worth noting.

When it comes to constitutional scholarship, a whole lot more needs to be understood than just the words on paper. Law is messy and complex, it doesn't summarize well (read the tax code sometime). The fact is, I'm not aware of any case in which a law or regulation was struck down because it violated a citizen's second amendment rights. There are thousands of cases dealing with 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th amendment rights. There are even a few on the 3rd amendment (no quartering of soldiers in private homes except in wartime).

Even if the amendment does guarantee a "right" to own a firearm as a private citizen, there is no reason to believe that this right is absolute and incontrovertible. Your First Amendment rights are not absolute in any sense (you can't make bomb threats, harass people, blair advertisements over your loudspeakers in a residential neighborhood at all hours of the night, give away the nation's nuclear secrets or show your genitalia in primetime while bellowing obscenities). Virtually every "right" in the bill of rights is subject to exceptions. They have to be, because they are drawn in broad strokes that lead to absurd results when taken too far.

Whatever the "right," if any, that a citizen of the United States has to own a gun, it is certainly subject to reasonable limitations designed to promote the public safety, secure the government against revolt and any other lawful and necessary purpose.

And I say that this "holistic" approach to gun rights makes a lot more sense than a more literal approach. For example, the Second Amendment guarantees your right to own a gun, but where does it say you have a right to purchase one? Or import it? The thing says "Keep and bear" not "Buy and Sell." How many NRA members would advocate that we should be able to buy defective guns? If the Second Amendment really means you're free to buy whatever kind of gun you want, doesn't that mean that BATF safety regulations on manufacturers and importers are invalid? Is that such a good idea?

I don't mean to harass anyone about this. Constitutional Law really isn't a sport for amateurs, despite what we all like to think. It involves weighing truly momentous and complicated issues and it's hard as hell to get right (look at Brown v. Board of Education, the Scopes Monkey Trial, etc). I just hope that we can get beyond "It says it" and "No it doesn't" because what it says doesn't answer the whole question (at least, not when that question is "How and to what extent can the government of the United States and the governments of the several states regulate private ownership of firearms?") wink.gif

sidartha
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Connor @ Apr 23 2004, 11:05 AM)

I second that Connor.
I learned to shoot on a tiny Ithica .22 that was maybe three feet long when I was 8 and have been shooting ever since.
When I was 16 I had three pistols to learn to shoot with, a Colt .45, a Browning Hi-Power 9mm(yes that's it's real name), and a Ruger target .22.
After making my wrists sore shooting 40 rnds in the other two I found the little Ruger to be the easiest to shoot for those long practice periods you have when you are still learning. It's about $200 cheaper than a larger pistol of similar quality.
Also if when you are shopping and you hold a gun that doesn't feel quite right, put it down and walk away. You won't like shooting it, trust me.
One last piece of advice. See if you can find a friend who shoots pistols to give you pointers while you shoot. Everything's easier with a teacher, Initation Rules tell us that(there, now it's SR related nyahnyah.gif ).
Raygun
QUOTE (Spotlite)

You're still stuck on the idea that the importance of a militia comes before the rights of the people, which is, unfortunately, completely backwards. The people make up the militia. The group doesn't exist without individuals. Without the people to make up the militia, there's nothing to regulate. See?

A well-regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state as an absolute last line of defense, even today. But you have to organize the militia first in order for it to be effective. And if the militia doesn't have access to firearms, there's really not a lot of fighting they can do. You gaurantee their right as human beings to possess the tools necessary to defend themselves and you don't have to worry as much about equipping them when the shit hits the fan. That was the point.

If its unofficial it can't be regulated, therefore it must be an official force even if its not directly supported or funded by the state.

An official militia is usually called an "army" or probably more accurately these days, "police". More and more often, we tend to see police as our well-regulated militia, which is a false, if easy, assumption to make. A militia certainly can be regulated if the need arises. I don't see why you think it's not possible.

You should have civil militia membership papers or something in order to get the weapon. Maybe no pay, maybe no official heirarchy, but there should be something to identify you as a member of the militia before you can bear arms because that's what you're bearing them for. This condition may of course be satisfied by simple citizenship and conditional on having an ID card, so that would include just about everyone.

Oddly enough, that's how it works today (in every state but California, anyway). Gotta have a driver's license or state ID card and fall under the regulations of NICS before you can legally purchase a firearm in the US.

By the way, I'm not all for the deregulation of firearms. Some gun control is necessary. However, most of it applied in western societies these days is either excessive or ill-prepared. The products of misguided, knee-jerk legislation. But generally, law-abiding citizens should not be hindered in their right to keep and bear firearms for whatever reason they find prudent.

But by your own admission, they must also be capable of fighting together and physically fit and eligible by law to join the military. Therefore if they become incapable of that, their weapons should be removed.

Standing on a front line shooting at other people is not the only thing that military units do. Same goes for militias. While one of the definitions of "militia" suggested that being "physically fit" was a prerequisite to being part of a militia, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that that isn't necessarily true. Perhaps someone is not physically able to fight, but they certainly can drive a truck to deliver food, make plans, render aid, etc... When warfare comes down to the militia level, all of the formalities like that tend to fly out the window anyway.

But if you mean barring your 85 year-old, law-abiding grandmother who lives alone in a bad neighborhood the right to keep and bear arms because she can't fight with a militia, I'd have to wonder why you think that's necessary.

Does not the mention of the militia impose a pre-condition on the right of the people in this case, cos its mentioned first?

Absolutely not. It means that the availability of a militia is the main reason that the amendment was applied. The phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear arms," as opposed to "the right of the militia" or "the right of the state" is what destroys the notion that a militia was the body intended to keep and bear arms.

It may or may not have been the intent, but I would think legally that was pretty clear.

So would I.
Kakkaraun
I'm poor, so while I would like to own more guns, all I have is an antique (ie, crappy and old...my dad's an antique dealer, it was a gift) single barrel break action shotgun, and a little BB gun sitting in the basement of an abandoned church in the middle of South Dakota. Weird, huh? But I typically borrow other people's guns...I'm really a rather good shot, especially with pistols.

Also, while I do believe citizens should have the right to use and own guns, I think that licenses and permits should be difficult to get...you should have to pass a rigorous test, so on, so forth. This mainly springs from the fact that it's very easy to get a concealed carry permit in my state...basically, as long as you don't have a record (a criminal one), you can get a gun and carry it into a school...as long as you don't attend it, with no trouble at all.
Solstice
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

BS. The original intention of a militia was to guard against roving bandits or the neighboring country or the Natives or whatever.

~J

how is it BS?? Were those not the words of some Forefather?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 23 2004, 06:44 PM)

~J

If so, then the forefather was full of BS too. Militia have been around for a long time, and they most certainly predate that forefather. Predate firearms as well.

~J
mcb
This point of view probably comes for the fact that I am a mechanical engineer by profession but what do you do about the fact that anybody with a garage or basement shop that has a decent engine lath and a milling machine could generate functional firearms in short order. Sure it may not be a fully automatic MP-5 but give me a couple hours and I could have a functional firearm that probably won’t be pretty or real accurate but it would go bang, it would not blow up in my face and would most definitely be lethal at moderate to short ranges. Give me a few days and only slightly more advance equipment and I will produce gun approaching the accuracy of many production models. The only really difficult part of making a firearm would be cutting the rifling in the barrel and if I am using it at close range then smooth bore is just fine. The firearm is in its fundamental form such a wonderfully simple mechanism its hard imagine an effective set of laws to control access to all firearms. A modern mountain bike has more parts then the average firearm.

There are lots of good political and social discussion to be had on this subject but when it comes down to it if someone really wants a gun they will get one. Its not that hard to do. Right know in the US its easier to buy one at the store, or even if you no longer are allowed to purchase one legally (you’re a felon or mentally ill etc.) there are avenues to buy one illegally. If the law enforcement chokes off these source then I think you will see a much larger surge in basement and garage weapon shops. It just seems that if your really going to control access to weapons your also going to have to somehow control all the metal shops also.

Just some random thoughts on the subject.
mcb
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 23 2004, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 23 2004, 06:44 PM)

~J

If so, then the forefather was full of BS too. Militia have been around for a long time, and they most certainly predate that forefather. Predate firearms as well.

~J

Ahem. I would like to take a time out to inform you that militia were used to guard against colonial tyranny and win the first war this country ever fought, and a major part of their inclusion in the Bill of Rights was a final line of defense for the people against the state, should it become corrupt. Certainly, a more immediate cause came from frontier conditions and self (and property) defense, but don't take a myopic view and claim that one or the other is BS.
Raygun
QUOTE (mcb @ Apr 24 2004, 02:27 AM)
It just seems that if your really going to control access to weapons your also going to have to somehow control all the metal shops also.

Shhh! If you keep going on like that, no one will be allowed to have any fun ever again. wink.gif

On another note...

QUOTE (Alexander Hamilton @ The Federalist Papers No. 29)
The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, nor a week nor even a month, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry and of the other classes of the citizens to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people and a serious public inconvenience and loss.
Austere Emancipator
A bit like drugs in that respect, or any intoxicating substances human beings willingly imbibe/use/abuse. Don't go for the Supply, go for Demand, and all that? After all, drugs don't have to hurt anybody, and no matter how illegal you make them people can still get them. So if you outlaw drugs you have to outlaw all kinds of chemistry gear and the farming of several plants with possible non-drug uses. And you still can't stop the Supply completely.

Or high explosives: if you outlaw those, you have to make it illegal/very difficult for civilians to purchase large amounts of several chemicals which have a variety of uses that have nothing to do with explosives. And still people can make their own explosives out of household chemicals.
spotlite
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I think that the 'well regulated militia' part of it must be a strong part of the justification and conditions for people to have guns, otherwise why mention it? You then have to define militia and define how you regulate it. I'm surprised this isn't specifically defined as part of the Amendment. Seems short sighted. Its just opening the whole thing up to contention and personally I don't want my rights contentious!

I honestly do see your point of view though. I think that the particular amendment can be argued in both fashions equally well. I don't think this is a bad reflection of your forefather's linguistic skills so much as a bad reflection on what happens when you let vested interests (i.e. lawyers) draft your constitution! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I agree with Kagetenshi though - the term militia is considerably older than the constitution, and more than that - older than firearms! I think you'll find tyranny has very little to do with the traditional meaning of the word. In THIS case though, it most certainly should be taken to include defence against tyranny because as I understand my history (which is not very much) that ethos is the whole basis of the US constitution and ideaology - freedom, and the absence of tyranny and oppression. But given that you can define militia in several different ways, the term should definately have been clarified in the original draft if it was to be the basis of law.

Just to reiterate my stance - I have no real opinion on whether or not guns should be controlled or banned as I have no experience of living somewhere where they are common. But I can see why you have so many lawsuits over there!
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (spotlite)
I don't think this is a bad reflection of your forefather's linguistic skills so much as a bad reflection on what happens when you let vested interests (i.e. lawyers) draft your constitution!

Indeed. We were fortunate to have such keen legal minds as Gen. Washington.

Just to reiterate my stance - I have no real opinion on whether or not guns should be controlled or banned as I have no experience of living somewhere where they are common. But I can see why you have so many lawsuits over there!

Because the country was founded on the Rule of Law instead of fealty to a monarch?

BTW, the U.S. is second in the list of the highest per capita number of lawyers in a country. I'd name the first, but you'd think I was kidding (at best).
Raygun
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I think that the 'well regulated militia' part of it must be a strong part of the justification and conditions for people to have guns, otherwise why mention it?

I agree that the availability of a militia is a strong justification for gauranteeing the right to keep and bear arms, but it is by no means a condition. If it were, there would be no reason to mention "the people" in the amendment at all.

You then have to define militia and define how you regulate it. I'm surprised this isn't specifically defined as part of the Amendment. Seems short sighted.

I think the reason they didn't bother with defining these things in the consitution itself is because they wanted to keep it short and sweet. KISS. Focusing on the whys. You know what militia means. You know what regulate means. The whos, whats, whens and wheres can be defined elsewhere.

QUOTE (The Constitution of the United States of America)
Article I, Section 8

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

<snip>

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Article II, Section 2

The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States;

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Austere Emancipator
In 1987 US was the 35th country in the list of highest per capita number of lawyers in a country, apparently. Has it really climbed 33 positions in the past 17 years?
KillaJ
In 1987 US was the 35th country in the list of highest per capita number of lawyers in a country, apparently. Has it really climbed 33 positions in the past 17 years?

Thats a sobering thought.
Siege
Are you kidding? The US has become the land of the lawsuit -- look at that kid and McDonald's for pity's sake.

Although curiousity compels me to ask -- who claims #1 on that roll of infamy?

It strikes me as rather fitting that one a forum where people will dicker, haggle and battle over a line or two, down to the last comma regarding a rules interpretation that we dissect the 2nd amendment and the US constitution in such delightful fashion.

I would like to point out, however, that it would be impossible to create a document to cover bases, to answer all conditions satisfactorily because the forefathers did not have the foresight to predict the future and the attitudes of the citizenry of that future.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012