Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stars Without Number: Scions of the Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Buddha72
I will be posting tomorrow - just got back into town and my head is spinning. twirl.gif
MrAres
Got food poisoning, yay!
JxJxA
Ok, I updated the wiki with write-ups for Ibraheim and Welkin.
JxJxA
Just trying to add a little clarity. I put the pinpoints on the map so that you didn't have a huge swath of the sector map to cover. It's going to be somewhere in there ('ll probably roll the dice to figure out which system). I'd recommend going to the two inhabited sectors first if only to do gather clues, but feel free to try something different. nyahnyah.gif
Buddha72
Sorry the days got away from me and I have posted. I say refuel and gather information then hit the outlying zones to start looking.
JxJxA
No worries. At this point, I think it's easiest to just ask you guys to vote on Ibraheim or Welkin as the first destination. I'll start tolling the discovery percentages after you arrive there.

Also, I'm still waiting for you all to tell me how many HP worth of materials you bought from the station... nyahnyah.gif
Buddha72
I bought 1 unit and I say Ibraheim!
JxJxA
So that's 1 unit and 1 vote for Ibraheim. Make sure you remind them that they owe you one, Buddha nyahnyah.gif
Lain
I'll vote for Ibraheim as well,
as far as HP is concerned, do we have enough for our own ship?
JxJxA
Whether or not you have enough HP for your ship is really a question for you guys. 1 HP of materials means you can repair 1 HP worth of damage to your ship's hull or repair one system that is brought down. I'd recommend reading the rules for starship travel and maintenance and repair on p.66 and 70 respectively. If you have a particularly unlucky drill roll, you could be stuck in space with all systems down.

There is also this bit of text in the repairing damaged fittings and weapons section:

Occasionally a specific ship system is brought down, usually due to damage from a drill mishap or some exceptionally unlucky shot in battle.

It doesn't mention anything about what kind of unlucky shot might do this. However, would you guys be interested in adopting a confirming critical hit roll like in Pathfinder/D&D? If you roll to confirm, you'll take down a random system on the ship with a "lucky shot". If you don't confirm, you'll still hit the ship but without the "lucky shot." Of course, this means your opponents would get to do the same thing as well.
Fenris
As for the units of repair supplies, I've only got 900 - I'll toss it all, but I think it wasn't enough to get a full unit. Sounds like we have just enough to get the drill system back online if it fails and hope we don't run out of life support before we make it back to the station biggrin.gif

I'll vote Ibraheim as well.

JxJxA
@ Fenris: Well, you do have about 20 10' poles. Normally, I'd think 1 is enough... nyahnyah.gif

@ All: Looks like Ibraheim it is. I'll have Ezri plot a course, and I'll get a post up sometime later.
Lain
Do we have a person who is responsible for the ship? repairs, maintenance etc? just want to check we have enough HP For our own ship smile.gif
if not, I will buy a couple HP For our ship (3 @ 1k each) -5%
JxJxA
@ Lain: Given the group's skill sets, Ezri is the only one who can fly the ship, navigate drill space, repair the ship and other post-tech. IC, she's in charge of making sure the ship gets from point A to point B and stays in one piece. OOC, it means I'm taking care of the ship as GM. I'm happy to do it---especially since we're all new to the system, but I do need you guys to pay the money and have the resources available for me to do so. nyahnyah.gif

@ All: I've never had a chance to play a SWN game, so I can't say for sure how many HP you'll need. If you get FUBAR'd, you'll probably want at least 2-3 HP available (1 for life support, 1 for the spike drive, and 1 for engines) so that you can limp to a new system and get repairs.
JxJxA
Fenris called for the Captain's decision, so I'll wait for MrAres to post before moving us along. (However, I think Ibraheim is the chosen destination).
Buddha72
I'll ask MrAres to post so we can move forward. My posting will be light this week since I have a deadline at home I am working with and this is my week to get it done. I will try my best but it maybe next week when I can. Sorry all!
JxJxA
Just going to do a quick recap for bookkeeping and convenience reasons:

New Gear: Purchased at 5% discount, current gear locked in if you have posted after departure from the station
  • Alice: No purchases, current gear locked
  • Harken: No purchases, no post, no character sheet
  • Ravenna: No purchases, current gear locked
  • Sereth: No purchases, current gear locked

Ship HP materials: Purchased at 5% discount (950/HP instead of 1000/HP), and occupying 2 tons/HP of shipping space
  • Alice purchased 3 sets---please subtract 2850 from your char sheet if you haven't done so already
  • Ravenna purchased 1 set---please subtract 950 from your char sheet if you haven't done so already

Destination Votes: Ibraheim or Welkin
  • Alice: Ibraheim
  • Harken: No vote yet
  • Ravenna: Ibraheim
  • Sereth: Ibraheim

Changes I have made/need to links:
  • Updated the cast post and added cargo tag for your ship and added 4 HP
  • I need MrAres' character sheet ASAP. smile.gif

Thanks! ^_^
Lain
Money updated Thanks for the current status, would like to see this thread bump along a little
JxJxA
If I don't hear anything back by my Tuesday (your Monday), I'll bump the thread along. It sounds like the others are a little busy. I'm ready to go because I like sci-fi writing, and especially since I've got this whole system of doom thing ready to spring on y---I mean lots of presents and cake waiting for your PCs at the end of the jump... ork.gif
JxJxA
Just really fast, can I get a sound-off on everyone who is still interested in the game?
Lain
Still interested
JxJxA
@ Lain: I'm not sure if you're back at the weekly game sessions, but maybe you give them a kick on my behalf? nyahnyah.gif
JxJxA
Making a Nav roll for the drill: Base (7) + Each 2 Hexes (1) + Course Trimming Lvl (1) = 9
Rolled 2d6+3 for 9

Just a bit of a bump in case people are waiting for me to update. The snark is nothing personal, just the serrated edge of Ezri's sense of humor. nyahnyah.gif
Buddha72
Sorry about the drop off - have a deadline looming on me for Wednesday for adoption stuff but after that my schedule opens up and I will be posting again.
Buddha72
Sorry about the drop off - have a deadline looming on me for Wednesday for adoption stuff but after that my schedule opens up and I will be posting again.
JxJxA
No worries. I'm more concerned about MrAres since he hasn't posted since he got food poisoning. frown.gif
Buddha72
Ok back from real life demands. I will send the captain a text and see what's going on with him. I saw him last night but was still slammed with things to get done.
JxJxA
Cool, and congrats on being done. ^_^

Also, you might want to let Fenris know about the message as well because I think Sereth fancies himself the face. nyahnyah.gif
Fenris
Is there a Culture(Spacer) roll or something similar to make sure I'm responding correctly?
JxJxA
You are always welcome to roll on a skill, but in this case it's no big deal. Your response is fine. If you are interested in having them cooperate beyond letting you refuel, that would take a persuade roll or a quid pro quo offer. smile.gif
JxJxA
Refueling is going to take 4 days. Ezri can drop you off on the station and you can get to meet the locals, which is something that would help. Odds are that the Saving Grace might have done the same before leaving...
Buddha72
I vote for getting dropped off and asking questions to see what we can figure out.
Lain
Better than watching Ezri refuel smile.gif
Buddha72
OH MY GOD YES!
JxJxA
Ok, I'll bump you along. Groundwork also might work out better for your group's skillset.
JxJxA
Ok, bump up. Bannerjee Model 12 stations are in the Bannerjee Construction Solutions pdf. They are usually based around a repurposed ship and meant for a smaller group of people.

Feel free to social fu Zax, ask questions, find answers, cause trouble, or [insert whatever else PCs do] while you are here! nyahnyah.gif
JxJxA
Also, I pm'd MrAres but haven't gotten a reply. Do you know of anyone who might want to join the game, or if I should put out a request for more PCs?
Fenris
You could put out the request? Most of the boards are based around different games, but I'll bet you get some hits.
JxJxA
Ok, put out an ad. I mentioned that you guys could use warriors and ship-oriented experts. At this point, I think Sereth is the only PC who can help Ezri with the ship (like sensor scans, analyzing space), but she's the only one who can pilot and repair it.

In retrospect, I might have baited the S&R mission a little too much. I think the current group would do better with away team-like missions, but I've got a plan for this one that should make it work for you guys... ork.gif
Buddha72
JxJxA sorry I told MrAres to post even if it was to say he couldn't post or something. frown.gif

I think recruiting is a great idea and maybe add we are looking for a leader/captain type? It would be great to bring a player on board to give us a little direction and a push here and there. Everyone ok with that idea?
Lain
I'm ok with that idea, though ideally it would be someone you guys know from another game
JxJxA
Yeah, I put out the call to my friends in the 2072/2075 threads. We might have one new person. However, if you guys know someone in another game you are more than welcome to send them our way.
JxJxA
@Buddha: Thanks! I forgot to mention that he PM'd me to let me know that his promotion is keeping him pretty busy. I'll find a way to keep him on ice so he can return once things settle down. Maybe a tribunal for crimes against humanity or a freeze tube... Something in that range... nyahnyah.gif

@All: Ill try to get something up later tonight. I think there are bannerjee maps online, but they are special snowflake space stations---each unique and with their own facets and flaws.

Edit: Never mind, got home and immediately fell asleep. Will get something up ASAP. x_x
JxJxA
@All: We have a new warrior: Welcome, Nemo157! ^_^
Nemo157
Hey guys, looking forward to playing with y'all. My character is Iorund Värmodsun, an itinerant space marine. Still working on the background but I should have that sorted out in the next day or two.

JxJxA: if you prefer I can redo the character sheet in BBCode, just more familiar with GDocs and already had a char sheet layout setup so thought this would be the easiest way to get it done.
JxJxA
@Nemo: Yeah, I'd appreciate it. That way I can link it to the OOC page. A lot of times I check char sheets to see if there are skills you guys can roll if a new situation comes up that the rules don't cover (like bluffing, etc.).
Nemo157
Name: Iorund Värmodsun
Class: Warrior
Level: 5
[ Spoiler ]
JxJxA
Cool, thanks. I have been away from my computer all day, bu should give this game a bump in a bit.
JxJxA
Sorry that's not much of a bump. I ended up having to stay at work for 2 extra hours trying to decypher and finesse some poorly translated Model UN resolutions for my students.
Buddha72
Welcome to the thread Nemo157!

Have you played this system before? New to Play by Post? Are you a friend of someone already in the thread? This is me saying hi and getting to know you! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012