Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stars Without Number: Scions of the Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JxJxA
Given that there is likely to be a lot of talking involved, this may be Sereth's time to shine... nyahnyah.gif
JxJxA
Ok, PM-ed Nemo to see if he's still here. Feel free to act/plan in the meantime.
Buddha72
Heads up - sick at present so posting will be delayed until I can keep something down. frown.gif
Buddha72
Update all - still here but the being sick segment was followed by a major plumbing issue (think jack hammers, no water and bathrooms being flooded with backwash from the sewer) which I am wrapping up. I will try to post by the weekend but it might be Monday at the latest.
JxJxA
Ok, so...I kinda sorta think we lost Nemo... I'm happy to press on, and toss a helpful NPC your way until we can find a replacement player.

However, if you know someone who would like to join a pretty laid back sci-fi game, feel free to invite them. ^_^
Fenris
I'll put the feelers out smile.gif

In the meantime, were you thinking you'd keep RP'ing Iorund, or you'd bring in some other NPC?
Buddha72
OK going to use Courtesan to try and develop a rapport with the people in the bar - doing the intergalactic bard routine. Singing and chatting to see if I can get people happy then try to ask questions using Persuade (unskilled so -1)

Profession/Courtesan (+1 skill/+1 Cha mod)
4 - 3 (9 total)

Persuade (-1 skill/+1 Cha mod)
4 - 5 (9 total)
JxJxA
I'll get a bump up as soon as I can. However, do you guys know anyone who would be interested in joining the game? I'm 99% sure we've lost Nemo...
Fenris
We can check with friends here, but I think Mike was the most likely candidate, and he's already shown his priorities are elsewhere.
JxJxA
Lol, no worries. I'll toss out another line and see whose interests I can catch.
Buddha72
In case you need another roll

Persuade (-1 skill/+1 Cha mod)
2d6=6

Doh!
Buddha72
Using Memetic Probe of the bartender so Mental Saving Throw from him to get the identity of the server.

Tech/Mecial (+1 Int)
2d6+1=7

Tech/Psitech
2d6+1=4

To think of things or causes for the personality shift and memory lapses.
JxJxA
The bartender does not make his save. The server is an old woman named Sher Talvos, and she is currently working the bar right now. You can collect enough information to identify her easily.
Buddha72
Anyone other than me here? I saw JxJxa posting clearly but looks like the other players have dropped off? Holidays eating up time or is the thread dying the slow death as only seen on the boards?
JxJxA
Lol, yeah, I'm starting to think I made it too open.

Would it help if I changed the plot hook? Maybe instead of "have ship, will travel," you guys could belong to an organization or crew that sends you on Star Trek away team-like missions?
Lain
So I'm here, just not sure where to go.. it took a while for responses so kinda drifted off mentally..
Might be worth a try for the team-like missions
JxJxA
So, let's take a vote:

1-Continue as is

2-Change to away team missions

Regardless of your vote, feel free to advance to level 6. smile.gif
Buddha72
Sorry for the delay - Christmas is rapidly approaching so time has been not as easily found. I say let's try #2 to mix things up a bit. This current set up really seems to have trouble keeping momentum so change seems the wisest course of action.

Woot on a level!
Buddha72
I know last week was Christmas and this week New Years but posting to say I'm still lurking in the shadows.
JxJxA
Thanks ^_^ Not sure what the others are up to, but I might just have to call this a dead game. frown.gif
Buddha72
Bummer - well I am here in case it starts up again. frown.gif
JxJxA
Well, let me send out PMs to Fenris and Lain. I'd appreciate it if you kicked either of them in person to remind them about the thread. nyahnyah.gif

I think I tried to have stuff too open-ended in a system we were all still learning. I think I've got a story hook that will let us take baby steps into the vastness of space, which should help push things along. ^_^
Buddha72
Will do and excellent plan! *turns and promptly kicks Fenris*
Lain
Cool ready to go when you guys are
JxJxA
Okay, so I have a basic story idea where you guys are freelancers hired by Re to handle issues that they don't have resources to investigate, or would prefer not to be directly linked to. That'll eliminate some of the ship management and transportation issues (don't worry about complications with Ezri, I have an idea for her). However, I'd like to get an idea of what you all want in the story. Do you want to explore new worlds and seek out new civilizations? Do you want to hunt down pre-Scream and Terran Mandate relics? Do you want to get involved in galactic political intrigue? Do you want to go out pirate busting? Do you want to respond to sector distress calls?

If you tell me what direction you're interested in, then that way we can start out with that story thread. The choice isn't completely exclusive, I can always weave in a few different threads to go with.

From your current characters' personalities, I get the feeling you'd have fun with pre-Scream and Terran Mandate missions. However, I want to make sure it's something you guys are interested in.
Lain
Pre-scream and terran Mandate seem best. I think things with politics etc.. would be hard on an online forum to maintain.
JxJxA
That's one vote for pre-Scream and Terran Mandate. If I get another for it, then I'll start coming up with a storyline.
Buddha72
Sorry missed the update the thread moved - I agree with Lain and toss in my vote for pre-Scream and Terran Mandate stuff.
JxJxA
Ok, pre-Scream and Terran Mandate stuff it is.

This is the bare bones pitch that I have so far:

You successfully helped track down the Saving Grace. This earned you all good standing with Re, along with a hefty payday. After the mission, Ezri decided to leave the crew and sign on with Re because it promised her a new start (along with the chance to fly something sexier than an old . The money from the bounty allowed you to hire on a new crew to fly and maintain the ship.

Four years later...

After a nasty encounter with suspiciously well-armed space pirates, the Terra Firma is left adrift in space. Most of the hired crew is dead, everyone else is pretty injured. You try using the Priority One channel that Ambassador Silas provided for the Saving Grace mission on the off chance that someone will answer and send help. Somebody does, and after a few very tense hours later a ship appears and manages to Drill you to safety.

Repair costs for the ship are catastrophic, but Re offers you a chance to work your costs off. The Osiris Pantheon, the division of Re assigned to seeking out past technology, could use a team of privateers to handle a few investigations in areas where Re would prefer to keep a low profile. In exchange for your services, Re will repair---and even upgrade---the Terra Firma.

The offer sounds too good to be true---and you suspect there will be a few strings. However, you decide having a ship is better than having to buy one, even if it means you owe someone big-time. Besides, Re is pretty trustworthy...right?

---

I figure this will give us a way to:
*Change places/scenery a little faster
*Give you a chance to go artifact hunting, and maybe even keep a few depending on what you find!
*Eliminate ship travel/management stuff because I didn't realize how complicated it could be/get
*See/write some pretty cool stuff in a space setting ^_^
Buddha72
Looks solid and promising to me. Let's give it a shot!
Fenris
Hiya *insert sheepish grin* Buddha had been talking about the game periodically, so I kinda assumed he'd be working as my personal assistant and keeping track of stuff, so I kinda mentally took it off my plate. If you remember him at all, you'll know I made a mistake wink.gif

So, anyway, here and wiling to give things another go on the away team ops. I think the problem we may have run into is that a lot of us are used to doing either: a. more structured games, or b. having a more structured setting. No one's really used to the cadences of the game or anything like that yet (i.e., in SR I'd have a pretty clear idea of what kind of things I can do to move things forward, and can pick things that fit the character to use). I think the away team option will give us a better structure to start learning about your universe, etc.

How do you want us to start?
JxJxA
@ Fenris: Haha, no worries. I think I was a little too ambitious with the sandbox idea, so the away team bit will give you a set mission and leave you to your own devices to accomplish it.

I'll post a timeskip in the IC that explains what happened and what is going on. Apologies if it's a little lengthy, it'll cover about 2-3 years after the current setting. Once again, don't forget to level yourselves up to 6. Let's say that you finish the Saving Grace mission with 20k in expenses, so each of you can get 60k credits to play with. Feel free to spend it all, pool it together to buy something big, or save it for later.

It's the beginning of a long week, but I'll try to get the timeskip posted ASAP. However, I've got a ton of classes to prep lessons for, my own Japanese and QA/QC online courses to do homework for, and volunteer crap, so bear with me. ^_^
JxJxA
New hook up. Please respond to Captain Olumese. I'd advise agreeing with him, but it's up to you...

EDIT: Please update your characters to Lvl 6 and your xp total to 32,040.
Buddha72
Posted and tossed out the RP ball bitches so get in there and mix it up! devil.gif
JxJxA
Awesome, and feel free to try skill rolls if you like. ^_^
JxJxA
Sounds like we have one PC on board. Just need affirmative agreements from the other two before revealing a little more of the story hook...
JxJxA
OK, that's two. Just need one more affirmative agreement, and then we'll move on. ^_^
JxJxA
I figure I'll get a response tomorrow, but just giving a quick bump to make sure we stay on the first page.
JxJxA
Okay, got all three and the story is bumped forward. Here is the tl;dr version:

They want you to go to a system sandwiched between two aggressive groups. If Re goes, then they'll wonder what's there. If you go, you're just a bunch of space hayseeds, who cares what you do. Re will give you a ship, equipment, and a pilot. Go there, scan the area, report what you find, and party on.

You are free to make Int + Culture rolls concerning the Bray, the Bray Imperium, the Qotah, the Scarlet Talons, or any other things I mentioned. Sorry for the technobabble. Don't forget that you're level 6. Or do, and just roll with lower numbers... ork.gif
Buddha72
Culture
2d6+1=9

History
2d6+1=6
JxJxA
Updated with reply and a link to a wiki with info on the planets.
JxJxA
If no one else has any questions, I can move us to Rajeon station...
Buddha72
Works for me and I will update my character sheet in the next week - updated my copy but need to adjust the one in the OOC thread.
JxJxA
Cool, I'll give Fenris until my Tuesday, your Monday, to reply before bumping us to Rajeon.
Fenris
Up and ready to go smile.gif
JxJxA
Cool. I'll bump us along in a bit. ^_^
JxJxA
Bump away. Sorry for the lack of detail, I'm trying to get things moving again. I also want to give you a heads up that I'm taking a trip to Hokkaido in a few days, and I'm not sure how much computer time I'll have.
Buddha72
Have a great trip and we will be here when you get back.
JxJxA
Ok, back! Hokkaido was fun (would have been more fun if I wasn't sick, but I got to wander around in the snow which is always nice for someone who comes from a desert/beach city), but I'm glad to be back in Hitachi where it is slightly less cold. However, I do miss that all of the places I stayed at in Hokkaido were insulated, unlike my crappy apartment...
JxJxA
@ Lain: Sadly, the back area is not visible from where you are standing. You can try to walk in if you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012