Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stars Without Number: Scions of the Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Nemo157
Hey Buddha72!

Never played this system before, I've only actually played a couple of systems (DnD 4, SR 4 and DnD Next). I have read through a lot of other systems though so this one seems pretty easy to pick up. I've sort of played PbP before, played a couple of games on Google Wave while that was going. Really disappointed that Google dropped it, there were some parts that I think really improved PbP over what I've seen in normal forums.
JxJxA
I'd recommend letting a shuttle take Harken away. This is kind of my way of writing him out for the moment, and then returning him if/when he has the time to join again. nyahnyah.gif
Buddha72
Yah I realized that after I posted - sorry about that - knee jerk in character reaction. frown.gif

I will edit the post tomorrow morning.
JxJxA
Lol, no worries. I say keep it in. It makes sense, and I promise that Ezri's reply won't be too bitchy. Maybe just a little bitchy. Old habits die hard after all. nyahnyah.gif
JxJxA
Just a tiny bump, but feel free to talk amongst yourselves. ^_^
JxJxA
Is anyone waiting on me before they post?
Fenris
Quick note - I realize it might be a little fast on the invite, but I've never met a game that was better for spending an extended period of time in paranoid interrogations of potential crew members, so I'm taking a little creative license and bumping things along a little faster than I think they might play out normally.
JxJxA
Works for me, as I'm trying to jump start the game again. ^_^
Nemo157
@JxJxA: Any chance Iorund would have learnt anything about the Saving Grace in the time he searched for it wink.gif?

Also @Buddha72: Would Ravenna be wearing anything obvious pointing to her faith and would it be widespread enough for Iorund to likely have heard of it? He would have travelled a fair bit around the borders of his home empire for the years he was in the military then has travelled quite a distance in the last year.
JxJxA
Make some rolls, and see what you've found out... ork.gif
JxJxA
At work, so just giving a quick bump. I figured I'd give you the stuff you can discuss right now so that you don't have to wait for me to move the story along. ^_^
JxJxA
@ Buddha: Also, feel free to tell me if I misread anything about the description for Ravenna's religion. ^_^
Buddha72
Nope no problem at all - thanks for handling that. I always worry about objectivity when asked to disclose about a character so having the GM do it makes that so much easier.
JxJxA
@ Buddha: No worries. ^_^

@ Fenris: O RLY on this being the easiest system for paranoia to play out? I can think of another one...we're using its forum... nyahnyah.gif

@ All: I don't want to force you guys to work together or preempt roleplay, but you could always put in a FTL call to the RE consulate and ask them to verify the people involved...
Fenris
@ JxJxA - lol, no no, I meant that I'd never been in a game that was more enjoyable for all the paranoia playing out between players smile.gif

And the FTL call seems like a good option - Just because Larry's unfamiliar with the tech, is that something I could patch into with my Ghostwire, or do I need to go somewhere?
JxJxA
@ Fenris: Ah ok, lol. ^_^ As for the FTL, sure. You can use the ghost wire to access the station's comm system and make a call through it (like a pay phone or hotel phone service thingy). Don't worry about cost, using it is free.
JxJxA
Nemo, you're also free to investigate the actions of this new (and potentially untrustworthy) group of Freespacers... ork.gif
JxJxA
@Buddha: Feel free to describe the telepathic link as you like. I made it feel more invasive with Xeraxes because he is still refining his talents. smile.gif
JxJxA
I know I've been a little slow to update, and I apologize. Could I get a shout out from everyone in this thread and just tell me if you are waiting on me for anything?
Nemo157
I'm not waiting, been meaning to do a post but been distracted the last couple of days. Hopefully should get time tonight.
Fenris
Unless there's other business, we could probably bump to the bar? But that's just from the posts today and yesterday, so not like I've been waiting long.
Buddha72
Hey I got an ok from one player - what about the rest of you dead beats? Can I link your minds into a big network?
JxJxA
I say do it. They can't do JACK about it. nyahnyah.gif
Fenris
totally fine smile.gif
JxJxA
Anyone waiting on me for anything?
Lain
correct me if IM wrong, but aren't we waiting to be bumped to the bar or something?
Buddha72
I say go ahead and bump us to the bar all together please as well.
JxJxA
Bump is up, time for you to compare notes/craft a plan. ^_^
Buddha72
Still here but real life is kicking my ass a little so will post as soon as I can. silly.gif
Buddha72
I completely forgot I was down a parent this week during the day so posting this week is going to be challenging so I will try to post if I can swing it but worse case it will be the weekend or next Monday at the latest. I threw up some flavor post to make sure I'm in the scene - rock the RP folks!
JxJxA
This is the moment when I reveal that Iorund is really a maltech bomb...

Or, just where I bump OOC and make sure that Nemo sees that we've updated. nyahnyah.gif
Nemo157
Sorry about that, got distracted when I was thinking of a reply and completely forgot about it.
JxJxA
Lol, no worries. It's been a busy few weeks for me, so I'm not in a rush. ^_^
Buddha72
I'm back finally - crazy week is behind me and threw up an IC post to get things rolling again.
JxJxA
@Nemo: Just to be clear, the late arrivals on shore leave does raise a few red flags...
JxJxA
Double post: I hate posting from my phone.
Buddha72
Let me know if there are any skill rolls to answer ant of those questions or to know about the red flag of late returns from shore leave.
JxJxA
This is the detective part of the adventure, so asking around, looking at video feed or station reports, or scanning surface thoughts would be viable choices. As it happens, you are in the station's only bar, where the shore leave crew probably spent some time... nyahnyah.gif
Buddha72
Sorry I meant what skills might cover tracking ships in space or using trajectories to figure out where the ship might of been going or what sensors/tech on the station may have monitored them for a distance to narrow the search field. That kind of stuff. smile.gif
JxJxA
Ah, ok. I see what you mean. ^_^

The most useful skills for tracking the ship would be Int + the following: Science (for knowing/finding any "trails"), Navigation (for guessing the likeliest courses), and then possibly Tech(Astronautics) (knowing/finding any "trails").

If you want to review sensor readings, it'll be a combo of Int + Computers and the above skills to sift through the information.

Int + Culture(Spacer) or Culture(Traveller) at a higher DC (or Culture(Re) automatically if anyone had it) would tell you about normal spike drilling procedures or station monitoring procedures.

Int + Tech(Postech) will tell you about the likely capabilities of a Bannerjee station.

These are just suggestions. As always, you are welcome to come up with other ideas/skill combos. ^_^
Fenris
I think the big hindrance here is just not know which questions are answered by which skill smile.gif

Int + Science: Int(1) + Science(1) (2d6+2=11)

Int + Computers: Int(1) + Computers(1) (2d6+2=4)

Int + Culture(Traveller): Int(1) + Traveler(0) (2d6+1=4)
JxJxA
OK, I will get a post up once I am at my own computer. I will let you reroll that computer roll once you have sensor readings to look at---unless you are attempting to hack into the station`s computer system in order to get the sensor readings. If you are, well...

ork.gif MUAHAHAHAHA!!! ork.gif
JxJxA
Ok, so I know we're all new to the system and I'll try and clear stuff up a bit.

Right now, you're in the "Whodunnit" part of the game. You need to do some detective work to gather clues about what happened in Ibraheim before the ship went missing. You can do that by asking around the station, looking at computer records, or scanning the area where the Saving Grace left the system. People you should talk to on the station are Zax, the as-of-yet-unnamed bartender, and even Doc and the nurse. Nemo just joined and made a decent Culture(Spacer) roll, which is why I gave the clue about Saving Grace personnel not arriving on time. However, I didn't want it to skip over the rest of what is going on here (especially since you're stuck here for 4 days while the Terra Firma refuels).

You can use Persuade to get people to talk to you. You will need to use Perception to figure out if they are telling the truth or lying, which will be a competing Persuade vs. Perception roll. Both Empathy and Memetic Probe telepathic powers will also help do the same.

When it comes to scanning the area for drill wake, that'll be Science. If you don't have science, you can use Tech(Astronautics) to help you figure out the likely capabilities. I choose Science over Tech in this case because Tech is for building/repairing, and Science is for academic knowledge.

The Navigation skill will help you figure out likely routes that the ship took, especially if you find the "drillspace charts" from the time when the Saving Grace left.

Use Computers for hacking the station's memory banks or looking through files for information you need. You'll need to know what to look for. For example, Sereth has remembered that spike drives leave "wake" from their drills courtesy of the successful Science roll. Someone can make a Computers roll looking for "wake" patterns in records of "drillspace".

You can use Stealth to sneak into places and Security to break into places.

Does that help?
Buddha72
Hey share the results of your roll! I will bodily strike Fenris when I see him next (just in a few short hours).
JxJxA
Lol, I thought he went into hiding once I asked if he was hacking the station computer and delivered an appropriately evil laugh... grinbig.gif
JxJxA
Oops, did I make things more confusing? If you tell me what you want to do, I'll tell you which attribute and skill to use... Will that make things easier?
Buddha72
Bumps away!

Roll call please - are players still paying attention to thread?
Lain
Here! though hoping we can pick things up a bit smile.gif
Fenris
Still here smile.gif

Waiting for the psychics to rampage across the station!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012