Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stars Without Number: Scions of the Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JxJxA
Okay, post is up. You can run with or without a captain, it's up to you guys. I just need to know where you want to start working, and what kinds of jobs.

If you open up Habin's link, you'll see each of the planets in the Kuphon System and the following categories:
  • Trade
  • Transport
  • Delivery
  • Bounties
  • Search and Rescue

What are you looking for? smile.gif
Buddha72
Profession/Courtesan (to make a good impression and hopefully illicit a warm or friendly response)
2d6+2=12 (added + 1 for skill and +1 for Cha)
MrAres
Off ( and on ) ship Harken tends to be rather goal oriented, so he would mostly be working towards whatever our purpose is for being there. If r&r was the goal, he would do a some what less intensive search for new opportunities , resupply etc. Given enough time (couple days) left completely idle, after exhausting whatever needed to be done, he would be found nursing a deep buzz and dabbling in whatever vices are offered.
JxJxA
Let me know what kind of jobs you're interested in doing, and where you're going, or if you need anything else from me. smile.gif
MrAres
Harken would wait to see if some one actually asks for backup/company. That failing he would try to go with any one who sounds like they're going to get themselves into trouble. If he ends up on his own, he would end up first cruising the local market for interesting and stand out sort gear/weapons. After that, he would be in a bar with a view scanning the local job listings for anything that caught his eye.
He would be pressing to do some simple and safe transport, transport, delivery etc. sort of work so that the team can build a nice cred buffer for when their next daring adventure goes south. Knowing that this probably won't happen, he would immediately start looking into whatever job is actually chosen. Plans and such don't generally survive first contact with the enemy (and maybe even perhaps his team, we'll see how chaotic we all are wink.gif ) but at the very least he can hope to mitigate the dangers some how.
JxJxA
Ok, so here are a few jobs you'll find posted:

Trade
*Waypoint Station: Need party to deliver 80 tons spike drive fuel to Golwain in exchange for 90 tons of triticale. Will pay 10,000 credits.
Transport
*Private Party: 6 psychics looking for passage to Vishwa. Interested in demonstrating worth to study with the masters on the planet. Willing to pay 12,000 credits for passage.
Delivery
*Re: Survey stations on Matjar require repair supplies. Willing to pay 10,000 credits for job.
Bounties
*Seyger Corporation: Looking for missing employees. Suspect some form of foul play. Please contact Seyger representative for more details.
Search and Rescue
*Re: Have lost contact with relief cruiser Saving Grace and looking to hire ships to help in search effort. Please contact Re liaison on Waypoint for more details.

If these do not interest you, you can always try fishing out more unsavory opportunities from shady characters on the station...
Fenris
@JxJxa - In the future, since we don't know the star system at this point, would you mind giving travel time from our current location for trade/delivery/transport type missions?
More specifically, how feasible is it to do multiple of the jobs? We have the cargo/crew space to do the trade and transport missions, and possibly the Delivery mission, depending on the necessary tonnage for the repair supplies, and then head out and do the S&R. However, considering we've got to make at least 13,776 credits a month just to break even, it's not going to work if we're bouncing from one end of the galaxy to the other on those trips and weeks between. I'm assuming we can at least refuel the spike drive here since there's a gas giant with the appropriate composition nearby. So, on to the actual questions:

1.) What's the travel time to do all three (trade/transport/delivery) to avoid Golwain and do the Transport and Delivery missions using the most efficient route possible?
2.) How dangerous is it to scoop spike drive fuel out of the atmosphere of the gas giant in general?
3.) What's the appropriate skill to see how much we know about Seyger Corp and it's relationship with the Re?

@All: As for the Captain thing, I'd actually push for Harkin. I think we all have the impression that he's fiercely loyal to the crew at this point, and frankly, he's military and we're still bounty hunters, so it seems like the obvious choice. Anyone have any serious objections to that?

JxJxA
@ Fenris: Sure, here are the basics on starship travel. You can get more info on p.66 of the base book

It takes a base time of 2 days to travel anywhere within a hex AKA system. A class-2 spike drive cuts that time in half to 1 day. However, Ezri can trim the course for you and treat the travel time as if you were using a class-3 or class-4 spike drive, making travel between points in the system take only either 16 (the safer option) or 12 (the more dangerous option) hours. Also, only jumps from hex to hex (or between systems) uses spike drive fuel. Travel within a system doesn't expend a significant amount of spike drive fuel.

All of the jobs I posted are currently within the hex that you are in (with the potential exception of search and rescue), so you wouldn't be traveling from one point of the galaxy to the next. You'd be within the system.

You can do multiple jobs if you like, but you'll have to have the cargo space/room and board to accommodate it all and convince the people you are working for that it's ok using persuasion skill checks. Keep in mind that these jobs will likely become "complicated" because that's when the adventure starts! grinbig.gif

On to the specific questions:

1-If you want to haul ass, it will take 12 hours to go to Matjar and another 12 hours to get to Vishwa. Plus, whatever time you'll need to unload cargo, take passengers to their destination. Possibly longer if complications arise. (Note: They will arise, but probably not for every job)
2-Scooping fuel out of a normal gas giant or star is easy enough that you don't need a skill check. It takes 4 days to do it, and actually costs about the same in food for the 5 of you (400) than it would to refuel immediately at a refueling station like Waypoint (400). They might not like it if you try to refuel from their planet for free.
3-As for figuring out the relationship between Seyger and Re, you would know automatically if you have Culture/(world in system), can roll History for a target number of 6, or Culture/Traveler at a target number of 8. You can also ask around.

Edit and Big Note: Golwain's cold war is between polities on the planet, not Re and Seyger. If you piss off the locals, you won't necessarily burn bridges between those two orgs.
Lain
@All: As for the Captain thing, I'd actually push for Harkin. I think we all have the impression that he's fiercely loyal to the crew at this point, and frankly, he's military and we're still bounty hunters, so it seems like the obvious choice. Anyone have any serious objections to that?

No serious objection, as long as he doesn't get too military (ie follow orders or get off the ship on every little thing)
Fenris
@Lain - I'm betting he's too group focused for that kind of attitude, but hey, mutiny makes for interesting RP too, right?! biggrin.gif

@JxJxa - Thanks for all the info - I should have done a little cross correlation and realized all those places were in-system. Could have answered my own questions. And thanks for the note about Golwain.
Sounds like the times weren't nearly anything I needed to be as worried about, in terms of break even each month.
JxJxA
@Fenris: No problem. smile.gif It's a new system, so it's confusing to everyone, including me. I figured keeping things in-system would be a good start.
JxJxA
Also, yeah, I should have been a little clearer on Golwain's entry about the cold war there. I was writing them up quickly, and then started realizing how many systems I would have to roll planets for. x_x
MrAres
Harken would be happy to be the nominal Captain of the ship. After spending a bit of time with him you would know he has no interest in enforcing his discipline upon any one else in the group. If someone showed a constant habit of endangering the ship and its crew, then he would push to have them kicked off the boat. Other than that he knows he's not in a military unit so he doesn't expect the ship to run like one.
JxJxA
Also, just to clarify, I'm keeping Ezri distant to keep the story about you guys than her. She's included as a means for fast and easy transportation through the stars. If you want to include her in the developing story, that's cool. However, I don't want her to become a "THAT GUY" type of DMPC. smile.gif
Buddha72
I second the vote for Harken to be the captain.

Culture/Traveler
2d6+1=6

History
2d6+1=7

Nothing from me!
MrAres
Don't worry I'm not offended by your npc's behavior smile.gif Harken wouldn't hold having an attitude against her, he's just going to adjust his behavior towards her accordingly. As long as she's competent and loyal all is good.

As a note I do have my stats written out, just not my gear finished. Don't have either of those skills so I'm no help there.
JxJxA
Cool. I'm trying to play her as a mix between Han Solo and Akima (Drew Barrymore's character from Titan A.E.). Given that she's so far the only person who can fly the ship, program drill routes for the ship, and repair the ship, and she totally hasn't stolen the ship from you, she's loyal enough... So far... ork.gif
JxJxA
@ MrAres: I think you're going a little crazy with the colors, lol. Inner dialog is the lavender at the bottom of the second column on the right. It's not a big deal, but I like using the colors I picked because they're easier on my eyes when reading. smile.gif
MrAres
Gotcha. Hard to tell what its going to be when your picking it out. For me at least. I'll attempt to keep them consistent-ish
Buddha72
Anyone else have History or Culture skill to roll?
Fenris
@MrAres - it sounds so old fashioned, but you can also type the actual code, like (color=#DDA0DD) before the words and (/color) after, where you replace the parentheses with brackets [ ]. I sometimes find it easier to hit specific colors like that then to try and pick from the grid.

@JxJxA - I'm assuming since you didn't put an attribute with the skill roll for History or Culture, it's just INT.

@Buddha - In retrospect, seems like I should have History, doesn't it? Ah well, lessons learned...

Culture/Traveler - Culture/Traveler 0 + Int(+1) (2d6+1=12)

Apparently I know something!
Lain
QUOTE (Buddha72 @ Jun 28 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Anyone else have History or Culture skill to roll?

nope just Culture spacer Skills are expensive!
JxJxA
Finally at a computer when Dumpshock is up and running. Post is up. Fenris, I gave you a bit more information because of the good roll, and yes I meant to include intelligence. For the most part, the associated attribute to the skill is pretty obvious, but I'll remember to include it.
JxJxA
Also, did you want me to bump you all up to the habitat hub?
Lain
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jun 28 2013, 03:55 PM) *
Also, did you want me to bump you all up to the habitat hub?

I'm all for bumping along
MrAres
Hab ring sounds good.

@Fenris; If you consider Sereth at all intuitive, you would know that he wouldn't have any interest in working with the Steyger Corp. to bring in missing employees. He might take their money for more standard sorts of job but nothing that directly supports their treatment of employees.
Fenris
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jun 26 2013, 09:28 PM) *
Trade
*Waypoint Station: Need party to deliver 80 tons spike drive fuel to Golwain in exchange for 90 tons of triticale. Will pay 10,000 credits.
Transport
*Private Party: 6 psychics looking for passage to Vishwa. Interested in demonstrating worth to study with the masters on the planet. Willing to pay 12,000 credits for passage.
Delivery
*Re: Survey stations on Matjar require repair supplies. Willing to pay 10,000 credits for job.
Search and Rescue
*Re: Have lost contact with relief cruiser Saving Grace and looking to hire ships to help in search effort. Please contact Re liaison on Waypoint for more details.

So, for each of the jobs above, I'm looking for the following questions:

1.) Any special requirements for transport?
2.) What's the total mass being moved? (Repair supplies, for instance, doesn't give tonnage, and do the 6 passengers have cargo, etc.)
3.) What's the deadline on accepting or completing the jobs? (This has to be done 24 hours after pickup, etc.)
Buddha72
Fine with the bump.
JxJxA
@Fenris: You'll have to contact the parties to find out. This also gives you a chance to use persuasion to see if you can bump up the price.

@All: Cool, I'll post a bump later on today because I'm good and drunk right now, and I doubt anything I write would be particularly legible.
Fenris
@JxJxA - Sorry if my post wasn't explicit enough, I ~was~ contacting the parties to get the info.
JxJxA
QUOTE (Fenris @ Jun 30 2013, 04:10 PM) *
@JxJxA - Sorry if my post wasn't explicit enough, I ~was~ contacting the parties to get the info.

Ok, didn't see that in IC. I'll put something up.
Buddha72
I have a question - with psychic powers that we have mastered that have an in-game impact how do you want to handle them? I have Omen and Terminal Reflection that I think apply in-game.

Also I'm out of town next week and if I post, it will be light but I will try.
JxJxA
@ Buddha: No worries, it's a holiday weekend and I expect posting to slow a bit. I'm going to treet omen and terminal reflection a bit differently because of the way that they work. Omen appears to require the psychic to actively focus on the specific choice of action, so I'll need you to tell me when you are using it. Terminal reflection reads as a reflexive power, so I'll give you the warning.
JxJxA
Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Also, you can do the missions all at once. It just depends on order (hint: go to Matjar before Golwain nyahnyah.gif)...
MrAres
If you would like to run us through our meeting with the Re reps then I think we can decide what we'd like to do. Crap I didn't say in the Ic post but we would be looking for / following directions to their reps, which I believe had been mentioned before as the proper place to go if we were interested in the mission.
JxJxA
Sure, can do. Did you just want to go with Ravenna, or have Sereth and Alice join you?
MrAres
Justn Ravenna and I, though if the others manage to dig up additional info from less formal sources it'd be most appreciated
Lain
I noticed there are a few unwritten rules about IC posting you might want to add to the post requirements such as bolding names, and entering who compad info goes to (Such as Crew or a specific name)
JxJxA
Updating. I've been a little lax with the posting conventions because I'm not really that anal about it. Plus, they're more for your defense. Oh, you meant to think that line instead of say it out loud? Too late, buddy! ork.gif
Buddha72
Using Omen on going to talk to the Re Delegates and will be using Empathy on the people we interact with.
JxJxA
Saving throws on Empathy:
Guard 1-Saves, Guard 2-Doesn't Save, Neil-Doesn't Save, Qotah-Saves
Buddha72
Ok wanted to clarify a few things, a little late it seems but there ya go. My understanding of the rules was that subjects of telepathy powers were normally unable to tell when powers were used? So their detection of it is extremely odd or I am misunderstanding the rules? I also saw Empathy as sensing their strong emotions not probing their minds which could be just an interpretion disconnect between player and GM. I had put out in the IC thread that was limiting myself to surface scans to avoid violating the station regulations though perhaps I should have just asked here for completeness sake.

As a GM would you prefer us asking you direct questions here in OOC as opossed to the back and forth between IC and OOC? I'd like to avoid this in the future since I personally dislike doing something in character that the character wouldn't but came about due to a misunderstanding about the game or its conventions. Fine with character mistakes not so much for my player ones. smile.gif

I'm fine with rolling with the RP punches here but I think as a player I would like a little more clarity (OOC would be great) about how you are interpreting the rules in the context of the game since its new to me at least. I think after the game has been going on for a bit we will get to a place where this is less needful like our Payhfinder games etc.
JxJxA
@ Buddha: There's a general tag here in the Psionics section on p.26, last paragraph of the first column:

Even those that successfully resist a psychic power will not realize what has happened unless they have had prior experience in being psionically attacked- and even then, they will not necessarily know who has launched the attack.

This situation falls under that special circumstance. Two of the people you used Empathy on managed to resist. These are trained officers of a fairly advanced civilization working in a diplomatic capacity. They have been trained to recognize when psionics are unsuccessfully used against them. If you had used Empathy on some random person walking through the station, the odds are they would have no idea what happened even if they succeeded on the saving throw.

As it is, they have no idea who did it or what power was used against them. They only know that someone used psychic powers on them. Jexon only knows because the guard and the Qotah notified him via his Ghost Talker.

I was trying to give a bit of context to the emotions with Empathy which is why I gave some of the other thoughts connected with them. It still is a form of mind reading, and gives targets a saving throw. I kind of see the power akin to walking up to a fenced house and peeking through a knothole. It's not a particularly offensive thing, but if someone is out in the yard and sees you staring at them then they are likely going to be startled.

I'd like to have those questions in OOC. Sometimes I might miss it if I'm reading IC. In this case, I did remember you having Ravenna say that, but I hadn't read p.26 until just now. I probably should have posted it in OOC, but it didn't occur to me at the time so I apologize. frown.gif That's another reason why Jexon's reply is pretty benign. The guard is just annoyed that someone is trying to use psionics on him, and Qotah are always angry.
Buddha72
Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to answer my questions.

Profession/Courtesan
2d6+3=13

Attempting to smooth things over with the Ensign.

Ok if I use a color (picked #98FB98) for telepathic communication but I will use whatever color you would prefer - just say the word.
JxJxA
@ Buddha: No worries, it's my fault for not making it clearer. smile.gif The worst kept secret in the game is that Re is very similar to Starfleet in Star Trek. If you think Starfleet officers would be able to do something, then they're probably able to do it.

Also, updating the rules. That's a perfect font for telepathy. Very easy to see. smile.gif

@ All: I'll update the thread sometime tomorrow because it's late.

@ Fenris & Lain: Do the two of you want to meet with the Waypoint liaison or the psychics while Buddha and MrAres meet with the Re official?
Fenris
I want one of the psychics to come talk to the psychics, so if Lain's amenable, I'd go with her.
Lain
Yep lets go!
JxJxA
I just realized that I kind of boxed Lain out with that last IC post. For right now, I'm going to assume that the four of you are freely exchanging info regarding jobs just to push the story along. I'm editing IC to include Alice in that communique from Jovyn.
JxJxA
Is anyone waiting on me for something?
JxJxA
Also, I updated the map with all of the system names in Chi Theta. I'm still working on write-ups for each system, but feel free to browse what I have so far. It would be information freely available for anyone searching the future version of the Internet. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012