Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Lobo0705
UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

As the runners stand near the corner talking among themselves, they see the line is moving at a relatively quick pace - shrinking steadily even though more people are joining the line. Many of the patrons, especially the female ones, are dressed scantily, and are obviously not concealing any weapons. The bouncers give each patron a brief pat down, although occasionally a surreptitious handshake seems to elicit a more half-hearted pat down from the bouncer performing it.

Jack VII

"Maybe we won't need a distraction... looks like the line is moving." Jack said, observing the steady stream of patrons.

"You seeing what I'm seeing, Grease?" the ork asked. "Looks like the bouncers might be open to some incentive pay. So, I am guessing with the right incentive, we can probably get Candle to talk to us, assuming he's one of the bouncers working the door. The question is how to get him alone to talk to him."
DrZaius

Looking at the line, Grease nods quickly. "Yeah, I agree. Let's get in line, it's early enough the club won't be at capacity and they'll be letting people in fast. Once we get up to the front, we ask for Paul, then I can work from there. If he doesn't want to talk in front of the other bouncer, we can give his buddy a little financial incentive to be more vigilant in his work, and mind his own business."

Grease runs a hand through is slicked back hair, tousling it until it's a mess. He pats it down and runs a comb through it, parting it. He looks slightly different; you obviously have no trouble recognizing him but someone who has only seen him at a distance might not recognize him across a crowd.

"Overkill, you're on camera duty. Keep a weather eye out for any places you think they might be located. Otherwise, we may need you to hack into the system itself to pull the footage. Despite my familiarly with cars, I'm all thumbs when it comes to computer stuff."
Jack VII
UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:15 PM, July 29th, 2075

Waiting in line with Grease and Overkill, Jack takes the time to try to spot any exterior cameras installed on the QXTs building. Satisfied with his examination, he nods distractedly at Grease. "Paul might identify himself if we 'happened' to be talking about the 'heroic actions' of an unnamed QXTs bouncer from the murder the other night when we get to the front of the line. Egos, baby."
Always Overkill
Overkill, UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:15 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave nodded at Grease in agreement, "Once I find a camera all I need is a quiet corner and I should be able to acquire all the necessary footage we are looking for. Just try and keep a low profile, meine freunde"

Drave gives a reassuring nod towards Jack, liking the idea of shining the Bouncers on, and prepares to check his weapons at the door.
Lobo0705
Overkill, UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

The runners slowly move closer to the door as more and more patrons are let in. The sound waves from inside the club hits them through the wall with palpable force, causing Jack and Overkill's vision to blur slightly as the panes of their glasses vibrate with each beat.

Eventually the bouncers are patting down a pair of young blondes in front of Jack, Overkill and Grease, and the runners get ready to put their plan into action.
Jack VII
UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack fiddled with his commlink and dropped an ARO on the camera. Composing a message on his commlink, he realized he did not have commcodes for either Grease or Overkill. Attaching the arrow to a text message, he queued it for delivery pending the addition of their commcodes.

<<Camera above the door pointing toward the crowd. If nothing else, we might want to edit the last half hour of footage. Not sure about you guys, but I'm not getting paid as an extra for their movie...>>

As the two blondes who are clearly not wearing unmentionables, let alone weapons, are ushered in the door, Jack says in a loud voice, "Man, I'm surprised this place is this busy, what with that murder the other night and all!"
Chrome Head
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:00 PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy nods. "Yeah, the job has started, and I came across the information that I just told you. I might tell you more later but for now it's better to keep it this way. But the reason I'm talking to you isn't just idle curiosity, no, it's also that I'm worried about you. Listen, I really think the two things might be related. Junkies dying from ODing, and cops chasing drug dealers and then getting shot. That the police isn't investigating the SINless who die is no surprise, but they usually do a much better job looking for cop killers. Instead, they keep this one quiet and buried. You have to admit it smells of a conspiracy all over."

Amy lets this sink in by taking a sip. "A conspiracy that will, again, hurt us in the Warrens the most. And your rally will bring up a lot of attention on this. Mainstream media attention, perhaps, and the ones who are running the show here won't like that. So I just want to tell you: be really careful. Don't get too carried away and keep your eyes open."

It was easy to recognize Amy's typical protective instincts kicking in. She always cared so much for those she loved and it was obvious that she was sincere when she begged for Chomsky to be careful. Maybe she was even a little afraid too, which was much more unusual for her.
Always Overkill
Overkill, UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave casually looks over to Jack, responding with, "I heard that one of the bouncers saved the day and fought off the shooters. Some guy named Paul."

As he says the name Paul, Drave glances up at the bouncers to see if one looked up at the mention of his name.
Lobo0705
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:15PM, July 29th, 2075

He smiles, and says, "Thank you, Amy. I truly appreciate the warning. I will do my best to keep an eye out. One the one hand, I find it hard to believe that someone like me could be the target of a vast conspiracy, but from what your are saying it seems to dangerous to ignore the potential threat."

He looks around, and then laughs slightly. "Now you've got me paranoid, I was wondering if I should be out here 'in the open' so to speak. Hopefully this passes quickly. I don't want to feel like I have a target on my back for the rest of my life."

Lobo0705
Jack, Overkill, and Grease, UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

The ork bouncer gestures to Jack to raise his arms out to the side, while the human bouncer does the same to Overkill.

The ork laughs out loud at Overkill's words, looking over to the human bouncer as he starts to reach for Jack, "Hey Paulie, you hear 'dat? You're a hero now."

He snorts, and looks back to Jack.

Paul sort of blushes and mimics the ork's motions, waiting for Overkill to raise his arms. "C'mon, c'mon, the line is backing up. "
Chrome Head

Amy was glad that Chomsky was rightfully on guard. "Better safe than sorry in this world. I felt that I just had to warn you. I know it won't stop you from doing what you do, and I wouldn't want that, but at least you'll watch your back as things go down, and maybe you'll notice things you wouldn't have otherwise. Let me know when something worries you, I might also have more on the subject as days go by. Anyway, count on me on the day of the rally to be right behind you. If you're worried about this place here tonight, well I don't mind accompanying you home. A bit of gender-role reversal has never hurt anyone. Bill's on me too." She said smiling.
DrZaius

Turning to face the bouncer, Grease steps slightly out of line and closer towards him, speaking under his breath so the other bouncer can't here. "Is that right Mr. Candle? Is that how it happened?"
Lobo0705

While relieving Overkill of his weapons, the human bouncer looks confused, as if he heard Grease wrong. "How'd you know my last name?" he says.

The ork, meanwhile, while patting down Jack, pauses at under his arm, and looks questioningly at Jack, and gives a polite cough.
Lobo0705

"Well, it seems crime does pay" he says with a wink, teasing her. He stands as Amy pays the bill via AR, and proceeds outside. "My car is just over here, no need to put yourself out though, and I...erm, have company tonight"

He actually blushes a little, easy to see on his pale skin. "Thank you for the drinks, and the warning. I will take it seriously, I promise."
DrZaius

The thin smile that covers Grease's face is not kind. "Because it's my business to know these things, Mr. Candle. It's my business to know a lot of things. Like that you were working the night of the incident. Or that the murderer was not apprehended."

He pauses for a moment for effect. The other bouncer is looking the other way with affected disinterest. Grease readjusts the label on his dark suit, brushing off some invisible lint.

"The man who was killed you probably just thought was some Lonestar schmuck, like anybody else. What you failed to realize Mr. Candle was that he was in a family. A large family. Some would call them organized. I trust I am not being too subtle for you to pick up what I'm saying."

"His... family is interested in finding out what happened. Normally, they would approve of your keeping your mouth shut when talking to the police. However, in this particular case they are extremely interested in finding out what happened. As a result, so am I. So why don't you go ahead and tell me what you saw?"
Jack VII

Jack looks back at the ork for a second and puts his arms down. Leaning in to speak to the ork, he says in a low tone. "What with that murder the other night, I figure a guy can't be too careful, you know? Especially when he's got some nuyen to spend, if you catch my drift? You guys are clearly doing great work... so what's my cover tonight? I'd like to throw in a tip."
Lobo0705

Paul's face blanches at the mention of the family, and he quickly hands Overkill a chip and pushes him through, not even bothering to take the 10 nuyen.gif cover charge. "Hey pal, I ain't here to give no problems. I can't talk now, the line is too long. Go inside and go to the bar, find Lisa - can't miss her, a tall blonde, with a low cut shirt. Tell her 'Paulie says its a good night' - she'll give you a drink on the house. I can shake loose of the door in about 15 minutes or so." He motions Grease to go through the door, and waves the next customer over, looking sideways to see if Grease accepts his proposal.

Meanwhile, the ork bouncer smiles, showing his enlarged lower canines. "For you pal, the normal 10, plus another 20, I'm giving you the ork discount."
Jack VII

"Your hard work doesn't go unnoticed, my man," Jack said with a tusky grin, slotting his credstick and transferring 30 nuyen.gif . Seeing that the rest of the team has cleared the entry, Jack entered the astonishingly loud and dark club.
DrZaius

Grease nods at Paul. "I'll be inside, waiting. I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking it'd be a good idea to try and slip me."

Grease looks significantly down at his watch to mark the time, then walks into the club to look for Lisa.
Lobo0705
UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:30 PM, July 29th, 2075

As Jack, Overkill, and Grease walk through the doors, the beat that was a pulsing wave turns into a veritable wall of sound. Jack wishes he had dampers in his ear buds instead of his enhancers. They move their way down a short passage, passing he restrooms to their left, and enter into the main part of the club. There are two main dance floors, one directly in front of them, and another suspended above it. Both are full of gyrating bodies, moving in time with the music and strobes. Off to their right, is a long bar, with three bartenders, all female, but only one of which is a blonde in a low cut tank-top.

DrZaius

Leaning in to be heard over the noise of the music, Grease tells the other members of his team, "Let's exchange commcodes; it's going to be easier to communicate over text than yelling in here." Grease initiates the interaction by sending his out to the two of them first.

"I think I spooked Paulie pretty badly out there; let's find someplace quiet to talk, either a side-room or maybe a booth. I'm not sure I want to go up to Lisa right away, that code phrase could mean "free drinks", or it could mean "grab the shotgun under the bar"."

Subconsciously moving his head to the music, Grease scans the club, looking for a good place to meet where he could keep his back to the wall.
Jack VII

Jack nodded his head, almost in time to the beat. Accepting Grease's commlink invitation, he saves the contact and sends his information to both Grease and Overkill. Tapping into his Ikon, Jack wrote.

<<Sounds like a plan. Let's grab a booth so Overkill can do his thing. I can check with the girl if you want. She may not want to mess with an ork...>>
Chrome Head
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:20PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy gives her friend an amused look. "Have fun, relax. There are big days coming up for you. Oh and let me know if you come across anything that could help me make sense of what I told you."

Having nothing better to do, Amy sticks around at her table to finish her drink, still a bit worried for her friend. I just hope I'm wrong and everything goes well for him... I wonder if Shannon and him are banging. A bit of jealousy was boiling up inside her. It wasn't like her to feel that way, but she felt threatened by that other elf like she had never felt threatened before. A proper elf, who grew up in a rich family, just like Chomsky. She had the looks, this way to handle herself, even the bigheartedness and sympathy for the less fortunate. What is there not to hate? It's not like Chomsky and Amy had ever been intimate. They would flirt a little from time to time, but they were just really good friends. But Amy had to recognize the facts. She hated that other woman.

10:35PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy's slowly finishing her drink and about to pay and leave, when she decides to send a quick vocal message to her partners, using subvocal to avoid speaking loudly in the bar. <<@Jack, Overkill, Grease "Hey boys, hope everything's going well for you. I'm done here meeting with my friend, and I can't say I found out much. I'm on my way to try to find someone who can get a read on those damn pills now.">> Bar sounds are heard in the background of the voice message.
DrZaius

Grease indicates with his head towards the western side of the room.

<<@Team: Over there. We can see the entrance, and see Paul come in. If he brings any extra muscle we should be able to see them coming.>>

Moving over towards an open booth, Grease gets in so his back is to the wall, and he is able to see the Entrance and dance floor. He reaches into his jacket and casually throws something up into the air; it takes flight and goes zipping away out of sight within moments.

<<@Team: We've got an overhead view now. I'll update your AR displays as I find more information. Give me a nudge when Paul comes by in case I'm in VR when he enters the bar.>>
Jack VII

Jack slid into the booth next to Grease to give him a clear view of the entrance and the dance floor, leaving the opposite seat for Overkill. Figuring the decker was probably going to go VR soon, there was little need for him to have a good view of anything in the here and now. Grease's text message popped up in Jack's display and he answered with a nod, figuring it didn't really need a response. The ork kept his eyes on the entrance and dance floor, looking out for Paul and anyone taking an undue interest in them. Of course, he couldn't quite help himself from ogling some of the more provocative dancers, he was only metahuman, after all.

Satisfied with his scan, Jack got up from the booth and navigated his way to the bar. Tapping his commlink, he selected three synthvezas; a small ARO popping up over his head indicating his order. Tacking on a 5 nuyen.gif tip for prompt service, Jack was served in less than a minute and headed back.

As he returned to the booth, a voicemail notification from Amy popped up in his AR view. Transferring the three mugs into one hand, he tapped the voice-to-text feature of his commlink and read the message. Replying, he typed:

<<@Amy [JustJack] Sounds good. We're in the Hub working our lead. Nothing new yet. Stay safe.>>

Jack plunked down the beers in front of his comrades, a form of nightclub camouflage which would hopefully allow them to blend in a little better.
Always Overkill
Overkill, UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:30 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave looked down at the swill his comrade had ordered him; it was sad what passed itself off as beer on this continent. He sighed and made no mention of it, he would want a fresh one when he was done anyways. So he politely took the offering and thanked Jack for his trouble.

He saw the message from Amy pop up in his AR and responded.
<<@Amy [Overkill] "Well done, meine liebling; but I don't need to remind you to be careful by yourself at this time of night in the Warrens. I don't even go anywhere alone there if I don't have to. I have a little dirty work I must do, I will be with you shortly.">>

After Drave finished the message and the first swig of his "beer", he closed his eyes and jumped into the Matrix.

Overkill appeared on the grid, his form transforming into that of an Archangel, armored for battle, wearing a long, dark cloak. His wings and armor alike are made up of swirling retro-green code. His features seem as though carved from marble, embodying the classical, androgynous look found in old angelic statues and images. He strides with grace and confidence, looking around at the Grid surrounding him and beyond. He is searching for the Club's host, and once he finds it; the files.
DrZaius

Noting Overkill go into the Matrix, Grease nurses his beer and keeps his eye on the door. He messages Jack a quick note on tactics for how he'd like to approach the interview of Paul.

<<@JustJack [Grease]: I think your idea of acting as muscle is working; this bouncer seems pretty spooked so far. I think it would make sense to have me conduct the interview; it's unlikely a mobster's bodyguard is going to chime in with other questions. I am sure you have questions you would like to ask; just message them to me and I will ask them so the mark isn't the wiser.>>

Grease reaches into his jacket again, this time to check the balance on his credstick. With his other hand, he removes his microskimmer and places it on the floor under the table, hidden from view.

Better safe than sorry. If he runs, I'll be able to track him easier with 2 drones than 1.
Jack VII
UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:32 PM, July 29th, 2075

The message from Grease pops up in Jack's image link. Rather than screwing around with his comm, Jack simply gives Grease a thumb's up. The ork crosses his arms and looks around menacingly, adopting the image of a bodyguard for a caporegime.
Always Overkill
Inside the Club QXT Host, UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:32 PM, July 29th, 2075

Spotting the Club QXT Host, Overkill flies over to the front of the building and onto its Grid. Once there he goes inside and activates Browse; a small green beacon of light begins to lead way through the club to the security footage files. He sees Patrol IC in the form of bouncers, and the club is filled with VR patrons. Overkill stays wary despite the distracting surroundings, this is too easy, keeping an eye out for trouble and any IC that may be showing him too much interest.
Lobo0705

The Archangel Overkill flies through the QXT Host, his form fitting right in with the press of other Personas dancing to the same music their physical counterparts were. Some of the Personas here were from people sitting in their living room, enjoying the physical sensations through their link to the Matrix.

Overkill preferred it this way, no sweat, no smell from the spilled beers on the rug, just clean points of light and data swirling together. He lands on the second floor, and nods to a bouncer as he calls up a virtual menu, ostensibly to order up one of the virtual delights available in QXT. In reality, he uses the opportunity to discreetly touch the rail of the bar and send a small tide of 1's and 0's scuttling away, burying themselves under the code that gave QXT's Host its visual exterior. They burrowed in, and in but a few seconds time, they returned to him, bearing a small cube. He touched it, examining it for boobytraps, but found none.

Touching the cube, more 1's and 0's flowed from his finger into it, outlined a set of wings formed from the numbers themselves. Having marked the cube, he moved once more to manipulate the virtual item, but as the 1's and 0's flowed over the cube, searching for an opening, they turned from green to red, and Overkill could feel a searing hot pain as a brand was burned into his wings in the shape of a large "Q".

At once, the Patrol IC, who had been wandering the club looking for unwelcome visitors, turned their attention to him. As he prepared for action, he could see a back door open, and another burly humanoid figure emerged, holding a branding iron with a red-hot "Q" at the end of it. He looked across the dance floor at Overkill, and started to move toward him.
Lobo0705

At the approach of the hostile IC, Overkill turns and vaults across the railing onto the dance floor. Dashing between couples who have stopped dancing to enjoy the show, he furiously stabs at the cube again with his finger. The binary code spirals around the cube again, this time completing its sequence, and the cube opens up into a piece of paper, covered with symbols. The IC, completely unbound by the laws of physics, simply runs across the open space, stabbing at Overkill with its branding iron.

Overkill sidesteps, and spins around behind the IC, but not before slapping it on the arm, transferring a glowing green snake, two 1's forming the fangs that sink deep into the IC's arm, starting to dissolve it. Overkill uses the distraction to wave a hand, and an ancient tome appears, along with a quill that moves by itself, furiously scribbling the symbols from the file onto the pages. Overkill dodges another attack by the IC, and then looks over to see if the copying is complete. Drek! The symbols are all wrong! He rips the pages out and has the pen start over - but the distraction is enough for the IC to close the distance, and Overkill howls in frustration as another Q is burned into his wings.
Lobo0705

Out of the corner of his eye, the Archangel Overkill sees a new form appear from the doorway that the brand-wielding IC came from. This one carries a pair of daggers, each one with a glowing red disc at the bottom of the hilt. He leaps across the void, scattering the dancers as he bounds toward Overkill. Now outnumbered two to one, Overkill curls his hands into fists, and brings them together. He then slowly pulls them apart, and between them forms a huge two-handed sword, the 1's and 0's forming intricate scrollwork along the blade, a weapon worthy of a Teutonic Knight of old. The IC works in tandem, darting and feinting, trying draw him off guard. Overkill is hampered by being forced to keep himself between them and the book as it continues its job copying the file.

The Probe IC moves first, lunging at him from the right, while the other IC comes from the left, one dagger high, the other low. Overkill simply steps between them, spinning and connecting with both, delivering short gashes across the chests of the two IC programs. Undeterred, their digital minds unaffected by fear or pity, they close again. I just have to hold them a little longer, he thinks as the quill is nearing the bottom of the page, and then the book and quill vanish - it is done! Time to go! He vaults over the rail, making for the doorway, his wings allowing him to glide to the door. As he reaches it, the Probe IC cuts him off, stabbing at him wildly with the brand again. With a pirouette, Overkill punishes the IC for its lack of discipline, and takes the hand holding the brand off at the wrist, pushing the IC out of the way. Just as he reaches the door, he feels something hit him in the back, the force of the blow carrying him through the door of the Host and out into the Matrix Proper again. He turns to look at the IC, doing a quick diagnostic - everything seems to be okay. He did not like the way that the IC smiled at him from the doorway, unable to follow him through the Matrix. As he switched his view from VR to AR and came back to his physical senses, he could hear a clang as the dagger that had been lodged in his back hit the virtual ground.

This is not good.
Lobo0705

As Overkill's eyes open, the drone zipping around in the rafters spots Paul coming in through the door, transmitting an alert to Grease. The bouncer is alone, and wipes his forehead with his sleeve, and walks to the bar.

The microdrone follows him as he forces his way through the crowd to reach Lisa, and although the noise is too great to hear what is said, it seems he asks a question, and Lisa shakes her head before getting back to the business of pouring drinks.

Paul turns around, looking for Grease trying to see where he is through the throng of dancers.
Always Overkill

Drave breathed a small sigh of relief. But it was brief and he knew it, he was surprised at the strength of the Host's encryptions, there were not many files that had given him so much trouble; and its IC were no joke, he had the MARKs to prove it. He knew they didn't have much time. "Der teufel wird los sein,"

He looked down at the beer that his friend had bought him, Jack had managed to drink half of it in the time Drave had been in VR. He sent a message to the waitress, choosing a German import from the AR menu. He then quickly uploaded the security footage and panned through it to find the appropriate time index and reviewed it in his AR.

<<"I have the footage we need, Meine Freinde,">> he transferred the files over to his friends, highlighting the time of the murder, and accepted the fine German Lager from the waitress. He paid and tipped her, and took a hearty drink from his bottle. <<"But we may want strongly consider keeping our conversation with herr Candle relatively brief, there might be some complications.">> Even as he said that, he was already checking through his Blitzdrive to find what damage the IC had done.
Jack VII

Complications? Jack thought, Wonderful...

When he noticed Paul in the AR visual feed Grease had provided, he yelled over the music, "I'LL GET HIM!" Jack stood up and wove his way through the crowd to Paul. Tapping him on the shoulder, he leaned in and said loudly, "This way, Mr. Candle. My boss is waiting." turning without waiting for a response, the ork walked back to the table and motioned for Paul to sit next to Overkill. As the bouncer took his seat, Jack leaned in again and said loudly in Paul's ear, "Let's all be gentlemen here and keep our hands on the table."

Jack sat down in the seat opposite Paul and placed his hands on the table.
DrZaius

<<@Overkill [Grease] Got it. Will be snappy.>>

Examining his fingernails with affected disinterest, Grease looks up as Paul sits down.

"Getting your story straight while we waited?" Grease smiles thinly. "I wouldn't bother, I think I've demonstrated I know more than you'd think about what has taken place here. However, my employers are.. thorough, and are interested in hearing from an "eye witness". So, Mr. Candle; why don't you tell us what you saw that night? Please be sure not to exclude any detail, however trivial it may seem."

Grease pauses for affect.

"My report out to my employers will depend heavily on how honest I think you are being with me."

Give them enough rope to hang themselves with..

Using the DNI line attached to his Rigger Command Console, Grease sends a quick command to his Fly-Spy on overwatch.

<<Attempt to find subject [Highlighted Metahuman, Video File #192]. Stay within current building. Do not approach closer than 10 meters. Attempt to remain undetected. Stay frosty.>>
Lobo0705
UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:33 PM, July 29th, 2075

Sitting at the table, Paul turns an even whiter shad, his face now luminous in the blacklights.

Paul starts to talk, having to yell to be heard over the music. "Well, umm, to be honest I wasn't a hero. I ducked and ran 'soon as the shooting started." His face blushes under the intense glare of both Grease and the lights.

"The cop was standing there with his date - he's been in here with her before a couple'a times. All of a sudden there's gunfire from the alley across the street, and blood everywhere. The cop falls and this regular of ours - goes by the name Argent - pulls a gun from nowhere and starts shooting back. Guess he didn't like being in the line of fire."

Casting his eyes down, he continues "That's when I headed inside - I don't get paid enough to catch a bullet."
Always Overkill

Drave gave Paul a scrutinizing look as he told his side of the story; he was somewhat surprised that the guy's story matched the video.

<<@Grease, Jack: "We need to get some info on Argent; he probably had a better view of the assailants. We have about 5 minutes before I need to make myself scares; if you need more time I can head out myself and meet you at the shuttle.">>
Jack VII

Jack quickly read through the text message Overkill had sent. Before he needs to make himself scarce? What the frag happened in there? he thought to himself. Not really sure what to make of it, Jack turned his attention to Overkill and simply jerked his head toward the door, unable to respond without breaking the social decorum he himself had established.

Returning his attention to Paul, he gave the man a measured gaze.
DrZaius

<<@Overkill [Grease]: Understood.>>

Grease nods sympathetically at Paul's story. "Yes, yes; very few of us are paid enough for such work. Did you happen to see the shooters? See how many of them there were, race, metatype? And this Argent- I'd like to speak with him as well. Where can I find him?"

Grease watches Paul carefully, checking for signs his story doesn't line up with his unconscious facial cues.
Chrome Head
Amy's Apartment, Aurora Warrens, 10:45PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy walks back to her apartment and does her best to avoid making any sound coming, knowing that Sam must be asleep by now. She finds Kevin seemingly passed out on the coach. He must be in his machine world, I won't disturb him. She waves and smiles at him nevertheless, just in case he could see her. She then goes to the back and rummages through a box in which she keeps her clothes, all relatively old and in poor condition. She puts on a pair of sweat pants with a few holes in them, and arranges a scarf around her face to hide her tattoos and elf ears, also covering her mouth. She will look like any other junkie this way, she hopes, as her plan was to go into Los Mag turf and try to find where she can buy Crimson Fire.

Before leaving, Amy decides to prepare for the worse, knowing how dangerous it can get to enter gang turfs at night. With a quick incantation, the elven shaman establishes a flow of mana that will improve her stamina, reduce her metabolic rate, and protect her from physical harm to some extent. It was a routine she had gone through regularly, but this time she had trouble avoiding the backlash, and felt a weak shake go through her body. If this had happened while invoking more powerful magics, she knew she could have gotten seriously injured.

I was always told not to go out alone at night. Let's see if the spirits of the night can give me the backup I need. Sitting down on the wooden floor, Amy raises her arms and calls for help from the spirits of above and beyond. Far away, she locates the aura of a suitably strong spirit attuned to the skies. Called astrally into servitude, the spirit appears near Amy the next instant, taking the appearance of a large owl seemingly made out of water vapor and smoke. This spirit fights back at the summoning attempt, but Amy imposes her will over her, exerting herself in the process which leaves her with the beginning of a headache. "Thank you for coming to my aid tonight, oh great spirit of our ancestors." The owl-spirit replies respectfully, "At your service, shaman."

Amy then calls a taxi that could take her just outside the Los Magnificos territory, and waits for it to arrive. While waiting, she mutes her commlink and activates the vibrate function instead.
Lobo0705

"I wasn't looking that way when the first shots got fired - and once they got fired I was trying to get the hell out of there. Argent would know better than me. I don't have his number or anything. He comes in maybe twice a week normally, but hasn't been back since the shooting."

He seems earnest, if nervous.
DrZaius

Grease narrows his eyes suspiciously. "Mr. Candle, since you're a person I'm sure you have a father. At some point in your life, it stands to reason you disappointed him. I imagine that made you very sad. Let me be clear and say that as sad as you were then pales in comparison to how sad you will be if I am disappointed. If you tell me everything I need to know, then I won't have any reason to trouble you ever again. But if I have to come back here, then I will be.. disappointed. You say Argent is a regular. He hasn't been back since the shooting. Who else does he talk to? Who are his friends? Who have you seen him hanging around with? Please, try and help me Mr. Candle, so I can help you."
Lobo0705
UCAS Hub, Inside Club QXT, 10:34 PM, July 29th, 2075

"I..I.. he doesn't say much man!" Paul's voice rises in pitch. "He is always packing - always tips real good at the door to let him keep his gear. Shows up by himself, leaves by himself. Few times I've gone in the club and seen him he sits at the bar watchin' people."

His brows furrow as he is thinking. "He's a badass - I mean, on top of the other night, one time somebody bumped him and spilled their drink. Argent offered to buy another, but the guy took a swipe at him. Took Lisa till after closing to find all that guy's teeth. Maybe he's got ties to you guys or somethin' - I mean a guy like that isn't flippin' burgers, ya know? I don't know what else you want from me!"
DrZaius

"Well, what does he look like then? Perhaps my associates know him by a different name." The voice is softer and more sympathetic, trying to calm Candle down to let him know they're on the same side. "Oh, and this Lisa- you mentioned her before. Perhaps she knows this Argent better."
Lobo0705

"Uh, about 2 meters tall, 120 kilos. Blonde hair pulled back in a pony tail. Custom Zeiss eyes - look like just silver orbs. I think his right arm is 'ware, but I'm not sure. Lisa would know him better than me."
Always Overkill

Drave noted Jack's response and looked over to the gun check line and saw that it would take him a minute, so he decided it was best he should make his exit now. Looking over to his friends, he finished his beer and sent them a message via his commlink.

<<@ Jack, Grease: "I will meet you at the shuttle. Don't be surprised when Lone Star makes an appearance. I will explain later.">>

With that, Drave stands up without a word, feigning disinterest in the details Paul was giving them; and headed off towards the exit.
Lobo0705
Amy's Apartment, Aurora Warrens, 11:00 PM, July 29th, 2075

About 15 minutes after her call to Mile High, a solid looking Americar pulls up in front of her. The driver rolls down his tinted, bulletproof window revealing a relatively handsome young man in his 20's. "You Amy?" he asks with a friendly smile.

Amy nods, and he opens the back door without moving from his seat. "Strap yourself in and lock the door. It's gonna be a bumpy ride this time of night, but I've got ya." he winks confidently at her. Amy slots the certified cred and 20 nuyen.gif is deducted from the account, and the car pulls away smoothly from the curb. They leave Amy's house and turn on to South Tower Road. "Name's Tony - but my friends call my Turbine. Grew up not too far from here actually. I'm on my way up and out. This job is just a stop on the road, know what I mean?" he continues chatting along, as they cross Mississippi Ave and head onto Alameda Parkway.

"What's your story?"
Lobo0705

Overkill reaches the coat check, hands over the RFID tag he was provided and waits, outwardly calm, but inwardly urging the man behind the counter to hurry. He retrieves his gear, puts the guns back in their respective holsters, and heads out the door. He turns the corner and heads up Glenarm. As he is walking away, he can hear sirens approaching and then stop as a Lone Star vehicle arrives at the club. He continues to walk, slowly but purposefully, away from the club.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012