Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Jack VII
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora Warrens, 8:32 PM, July 31st, 2075

Jack frowned, but nodded. He'd probably feel the same way as Grease, all things considered.

<<@Amy [JustJack] Glad to hear everyone is okay. Do me a favor and tell Grease I understand and think better of him for being cautious. I'd be a little suspicious too given the circumstances. Also, tell Overkill I'm authorizing him full access to my commlink if he wants to check out my call logs, files, and GPS tracking to verify what I'm telling you. I'll figure out a way back to HQ. See y'all when you get done. Be careful...>>

Jack ended the call and started walking north, planning on hitting E. Quincy Avenue. He wanted to clear his head and think for a bit. He also wanted to put some distance between himself and the Motel 6 before considering calling for another taxi. Calling up the menu on his commlink, he authorized it to accept three MARKS from Overkill's commcode. With that complete, the ork shoved his hands in his pockets; his right hand grasping the solid assurance of his Streetline Special. Jack knew that you could never be too prepared.
Chrome Head
Dr. Jacoby's, Aurora Warrens 8:33 PM, July 31st, 2075

<Ok Jack. You too.>>

"There's Jack for you. He said that he thinks better of you Grease, for being careful. He's given full access to his 'link to Overkill so that we can check on his story if we feel like it. He had to help out a friend in trouble tonight, that's what he told me, and I believe him completely. After we get a good night's rest, we'll be able to discuss this with our heads clear."

"Now, I'm going to go see if I can use my abilities to help Greeley heal from her injuries. I can do the same to you too, Grease, if you'd like, but I'll do a better job of it if you want to wait until morning. It's a one-shot thing, so you tell me what you prefer."
Always Overkill

Drave listened intently to Grease and Amy's argument over Jack, fully understanding the Rigger's paranoia about the ork's ill-timed departure. But Grease's own confession about spying on the rally certainly brought up doubts about his own loyalty to the team.

"I understand your suspicion Grease. The timing of his departure could not have been worse. But I've known Jack for a while, we have worked together before; and I know he would not have left that rally without a verdammt good reason. I have already sent him the coordinates to the Stuffer Shack around the corner; but we don't have time to get out of here and find a safe place to meet up."

Sighing before continuing, his gaze settled firmly on Grease. "We all know how this business works, we take jobs that pay the bills, and try not to ask too many questions. You took the job of spying on the rally before we got into this mess, and it probably seemed like some easy nuyen to make on the side. But you could have kept your mouth shut, collected your payment, and we would have been none the wiser. So, Danke for coming clean about the truth of the matter."

"Now about your meet tonight with your Lone Star contact, I will go with you and back you up, and make sure things stay secure on the Matrix front; we don't know who may be listening. I am the only one here who hasn't required medical attention anyways."
Always Overkill

Drave then approached Chomsky and Greeley in the waiting room and asked, "Well, Meine Freunde, I know you have a lot of questions about what happened tonight, and to be quite honest, so do we. So until we find some answers, we would like you to stay under our protection, at a safehouse where you could lay low, until we get to the bottom of this."
Lobo0705

Chomsky looks up from Greeley, who is looking a little better after both Jacoby's and Amy's ministrations. The young elf has a light sheen along her arms where the doctor applied a salve to reduce the swelling, and the pain medication he gave her has kicked in, leaving her quiet and a little drowsy.

"To be quite honest, I'm not sure how to feel. On the one hand, it seems that these two officers were up to no good, and clearly the warrant was a lie. On the other hand, I would gladly have gone with them and taken my chances with a lawyer than to see all those people injured on that field."

His face is drawn as he remembers the loss of life. "I know of several safe houses that we can lay low in, and while I appreciate your offer of help, I'm a little worried that your involvement here might make it more dangerous, not less."
Always Overkill

"I understand, our crew already has enough outside attention on it, and we certainly don't want to draw any of that extra attention on you two" Drave responded. "Stay safe, we will let you know if we find any answers."

He turned back to Grease and Amy, copying the response he had just read from Ramirez's link and sending it to the team in his AR.

<<@Churchfriends [Blocked] There was a warrant put out for their arrest, signed by Harvey Browne. It is not a normal arrest warrant, i.e. for the city of Denver. This was a corporate warrant, in other words, whoever these two are, they aren't going to jail, they are to be brought straight to corporate. There is one officer assigned to serve the warrant, a rookie named Robert Finamore. The guy just joined the Star last month, straight out of school. I've attached a photo from his dossier.>>

"Of course, he was a cop..." Drave said, cursing the crew's ill-fortune. "The Doc can hang onto the body here until we decide what to do with it." He then turned to Grease and asked "Now what do you need from me for this meeting Grease? "[/color]
Chrome Head
Dr. Jacoby's, Aurora Warrens 8:34 PM, July 31st, 2075

Now that the stress level has diminished, Amy takes the opportunity to come apologize to her friend. "I'm sorry for this mess, Jared." The shaman seemed emotional. "And I'm sorry for causing the death of that cop." She paused to think how to express what she felt.

"I just didn't want Lone Star to take you away on trumped up charges and never see you again. I had to act on the moment and in that sense, I don't have regrets. I know it's not your approach to fight the corps with violence, but sometimes there's no other way."

"Do you need me to accompany you to that safe place of yours? ... Or maybe you just don't want to have me near you right now..."
Lobo0705

Chomsky stands up, and spreads his arms wide, walking carefully to Amy before embracing her, trying not to press too hard on her bandages. Despite his care, Amy winces slightly at the pain.

"Amy, I do not for one moment believe you acted out of any sense other than to protect us." After a brief embrace, Chomsky lets go, and says, "We do not need you to come with us, but that does not mean we are pushing you away. I do, however, think you should go with your friends, not so that you will be away from us, but rather I think they need you more than we do. We will be safe, and again, thank you for helping ease Shannon's pain."
DrZaius

Waiting nervously while Overkill and Amy talked with the civilians, Grease started to wonder how he had gotten into this mess.

It had all been so simple. These aren't the two we need to worry about; if anything happens to Ramirez we're going to be taking a long walk off a short pier. I hope they can keep it together long enough to wrap this thing up. The sooner we get paid, the better. Besides, killing a cop is bad no matter what. Dirty or not, that's going to come back to bite us. Ramirez may pay us and have us arrested in the same meeting.

Making sure that Amy and Overkill were occupied, Grease takes a popper of novacoke, feeling it against the back of his eyeballs almost instantly.

...That's better.

He throws the popper into the "Danger: Sharps Container," with his teammates none the wiser.

Other than that mage; how'd she pick up on it last time? I'll have to keep an eye on her, she may be more trouble than she's worth.

Grease frowned at that thought, worrying that he was getting too paranoid.

No such thing. Speaking of, where was Jack? These two seem awfully sure he's not the type to betray us. What do they even know about him? Certainly less than they know about me. Chapel would sell us out in a heartbeat if there was the right kind of pressure. That's the business, and they're nuts if they think the right way to approach it is to trust first, question later.

Eventually, Amy and Overkill finished with Greeley and Chomsky, walking back into the office.

"Jacoby, can you keep this guy on ice for a while? We've got a meet in 25 minutes, then we'll be back to discuss what the heck we're going to do about it. "

Jacoby frowns, but then nods.

He probably knows he's getting some decent ware out of watching this body for an hour, odds are.

"Overkill, Amy, we're meeting with my contact at the Rusty Bar-rel. You've both been there before, so you know the layout. This is a guy I trust, so we don't have to go too crazy here. Just follow my lead, and try to stay low. Amy, you in particular might want stay back, maybe sit at the bar with your back turned but listening in. I don't know if he's seen video of this evening yet or not."

Grease frowned, nodding at the team with a sense of determination.

"Let's get some answers."
Chrome Head

Amy nods to Grease. "You got it. But before we go, we need to do something about this disguise. Either you make a new one, or I'm going as myself, cause there's no way I go anywhere else with this on. And can you get your taxi to us, in case we need it. I think it'd be safer to always have it near us just in case."
Lobo0705

Amy, Grease, and Overkill say their goodbyes to Chomsky and Greeley, the pair getting into Greeley's car and driving off with Chomsky behind the wheel. Jacoby, standing at the door says, "I'll keep an eye on your friend, those two took care of your bill for tonight. Call me when you are ready to pick him up."

"Now, let's see if we can get you two looking a little less conspicuous"
, says Grease, his demeanor a little more manic than usual. He quickly strips off the two wigs, and with a flurry of brushes, powders, and some strategic shaving, Amy and Overkill no longer look like the two Aryan elves who were at the park earlier in the evening. "Ready to go good let's go!", the rigger hops into his BMW and guns the engine until Amy and Overkill join him, and they quickly zoom off into the night.

On the ride over, Grease turns to Amy, "Listen, not that its bothering me too much, but would you mind using your magic to heal me? When Rhex got shot out from under me, there was some serious neural feedback, and I just want to make sure I'm going in to this meet with a full deck of cards if you know what I mean." Amy nods, "I'll do what I can." and closes her eyes and lays her hand on Grease's shoulder. After a minute of concentration, Grease feels much better than he did before. "Thanks! Feels good as new!"

The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:05 PM, July 31st, 2075

The trio of elves pull into the parking lot, and notice that Grease's taxi is already there waiting for them. They exit the car and walk inside, the place crowded with large men mostly dressed in coveralls marked with the "FB" logo. Grease is greeted by a couple of the regulars, but he only briefly acknowledges them, scanning the room for Murphy. He quickly finds him at the back of the bar, seated at a booth alone, blowing clouds of smoke from the cigar held in the corner of his mouth.

Several men walk up to the booth, looking to have a seat, but a look from Murphy is enough to send them moving on to stand at the bar instead. Murphy catches sight of Grease, and motions him over to the table with a nod of his head.
Chrome Head

As agreed, Amy got off the car a block away and walked in a little after Grease and Overkill.

Once inside, she picks a spot at the bar and asks for a synth-scotch on the rocks. That's gonna warm me up, what a night.

As the conversation is starting with Grease's contact, she listens through her earphones.
DrZaius

Sliding into the booth across from Murphy, Grease nods at Overkill, who sits beside him.

"Murphy, don't think you know my associate here. Let's call him "Jeff" for now. I imagine you have some questions about what went down tonight. I've got a few of my own. I called the meeting, so why don't I start."

Nodding at the bartender with a smile, Grease speaks through the side of his mouth, keeping eyes on all the various patrons.

Do I know that guy? Who's that? Seems crowded in here tonight. How many are Murphy's?

"Odd coincidence, don't you think, that the little rally you wanted me to keep an eye on blew up like it did. What do you know?"
Lobo0705
The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:06 PM, July 31st, 2075

Murphy switches the cigar to the other side of his mouth, and growls, "Nice ta meet you. Now, keep quiet so this one can start explaining why he's bringing other people to our meetings." Grease starts to say something, but Murphy cuts him off. "Shaddup, its fine. Its just bad enough I gotta deal with one mealy-mouth elf, let alone two of 'em." He pours a drink and shoves it across the table to Overkill, who catches it adroitly.

"As for what happened at the park, I've got all sorts of reports coming in, big fragging spirits all over the place, drones firing at the spirits, drones firing at the crowd, drones firing at the Lone Star officers," he pauses and tosses back a shot. "The cops showed up and arrested people and were attacked. The cops attacked the crowd first. The cops drove off. The cops were killed. Its a mess, and all sorts of people are screaming at me to find out what the hell happened."

Looking over at Overkill, who had not yet touched his drink, Murphy yells, "What'sa matter? Don't drink?" He reaches across the table, grabs the drink back, and downs it.

"As I told you the other day, we weren't even supposed to have anybody down there, which is why I got you to keep an eye on things. So. Spill."

Overkill, startled slightly at the ork's overbearing nature, simply keeps his mouth shut and his eyes open. Glancing around the room, he and his Agent search for any prying eyes. Apart from various patrons using their commlinks, plus the normal devices you would find in a bar such as this, the Matrix seems clear. As Murphy continues to talk, Overkill surreptitiously activates his bug scanner under the table, and, after a moment, shuts it off, convinced that no one is listening to their conversation.
DrZaius
The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:06 PM, July 31st, 2075

Grease eyes Murphy narrowly, trying to determine if he's on the level.

"Well, as you said, nobody was supposed to be there. Rally starts, then about 10 minutes in we hear sirens. Two prowlers come in, along with 4 birds packing heat."

Grease pauses to down the shot he was just served, then nods to the waitress to bring another. "I'm in the car trying to keep order of everything, trying my best not to be seen and bother anybody. Next thing I know, the cops are shooting at somebody in the crowd, and all hell is breaking loose."

Grease looks over his shoulder, then back at Murphy. "Two cops, to serve a warrant in the Warrens? I thought you guys didn't roll into there with less than a battalion. Plus they were arresting some community organizer on drug charges; the rally was about keeping the Warrens drug free. It don't add up pal."

Trying to sense what Murphy already knows versus what he's getting Grease to admit to, Grease pauses. "That odd to you? Two guys on their own, trying to arrest someone at a rally with hundreds of people? Wouldn't they come in with crowd control? Why are those drones firing live rounds into the crowd?"
Lobo0705
The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:07 PM, July 31st, 2075

The ork takes his cigar out, and rubs his tusk with a finger.

"Alright, stop - what are you talking about? The cops were serving a warrant? I didn't have any information on that. And at a rally? They should have had a Citymaster and a couple of choppers at the least, go big or go home wit' that kind of job. Even better, why the frag not just wait 'til the rally was over?"

He takes out his commlink. "You got footage of this? The cars specifically? License plates? Any footage of the drones?"
DrZaius
The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:07 PM, July 31st, 2075

Nodding, Grease calls up some freeze-frames of the footage showing the cops and their cars, and sends it over to Murphy. He doesn't release the full video just yet, just the frames showing the police getting out of their cars, along with the drones flying overhead.

"So, I ask again; what have you gotten me into?"
Lobo0705
The Rusty Bar-rel, 9:08 PM, July 31st, 2075

Murphy looks at the freeze frames, and plays around with his commlink for a minute. "Well, you're right, something screwy is going on. The license plate on one of those Patrol-3's comes up as valid, the other doesn't. The pictures of the cops doesn't help me, their in full body armor, numbnuts. Where is the rest of the video?" He scrolls through the photos again, "And what about those drones?"
DrZaius

<<@Overkill[Grease]: Here is the video file. I'd like you to review it before I pass it over.>>

Assuming Overkill knew what he meant, Grease continued with Murphy, stalling a bit to get some time.

"Well, and don't get me wrong here, you've got first dibs, whose to say I want to show you the video? This type of thing would be worth a lot of money to the right people. I had a whole net of drones up there; 7NEWS Denver would pay top dollar for footage like this."

Pausing to take a sip of beer while Murphy scowled, a vein pumping in his forehead, Grease continued nonchalantly changing the topic.

"The officers came up on the stage, saying they had a warrant. Someone told me it was signed by a Judge Harvey Browne; ever heard of him?"
Lobo0705

"Whose 'ta say you want to show me the video? I got three people. You, for taking the job, the credstick in my left pocket with payment for that job, and the badge on my chest that says I can make all sorts of problems for you should you piss me off."

Murphy chugged back another drink, then says, "Look, I'm not unreasonable, I can probably shake loose another 500 nuyen.gif to cover the all the drek that went down. But let's be clear, I want that video before we leave." Pouring another, he says, "I don't know all the judges in town, but no, never heard of a Harvey Browne." He looks expectantly at Grease, waiting for the rest of the file.

Always Overkill

Drave breezed past Murphy's ultimatum, spoke up and continued asking questions, "Those Drones were armed with Explosive Ammunition, and so were your Officers. Is it Lone Star policy to bring that sort of lethal firepower with them going into a public rally to serve a warrant? One would think they were expecting trouble, if not looking to initiate it."
Lobo0705

Murphy frowns. "Explosive ammo isn't exactly common, but it isn't illegal for them to carry. Still, given that at lease one of these cars had their license plates switched, I'm not that surprised to find out that their ammo wasn't standard."
Always Overkill

Realizing that no amount of concealment would likely thwart Murphy's scrutiny, Drave simply cut out the footage of Amy throwing her last spell at the fleeing Patrol Cruiser, and sent it back to Grease with a nod. He followed that up with a brief message.

<<@Grease[Overkill]: Not much point in trying to mask how it happened; footage of the incident is already up on the Matrix.>>
DrZaius

Grease is about to send over the footage, but pauses for a moment.

"I hate to do this; you know I trust you implicitly. I have to ask who wanted this footage before I hand it over. Otherwise I have to walk. I don't want my car showing up in the police blotter."
Lobo0705

Murphy looks confused for a moment before responding. "Who the frag do you think wants the footage? Same guy who always foots the bill when I hire you or another freelancer - my boss. Weinstein has been taking a hit in the monthly meetings for his stats, and wants to try and knock those down - I guess he figured he'd rather not chance a PR nightmare by putting the Star in the middle of a powderkeg." He takes a deep draw on the cigar, and exhales the smoke toward Overkill.

"Although apparently that ship has sailed with whatever the hell happened. The drek is going to hit the fan on this one." He shakes his head. "And please, why would I put you on the blotter and dry up one of my sources of information? Its not like you did anything but film this fiasco, right?"
Jack VII
Somewhere in the Aurora Warrens, 9:02 PM, July 31st, 2075

With half the distance traveled between the Motel 6 and Nic's Knacks, Jack felt relatively safe in Fronts territory. He knew he owed the majority of his protection to his association with Nic, but he liked to think he appeared to be a bit more than most street thugs would want to try to take on without a lot of backup.

Musing about his social position in the Warrens, Jack almost missed the message received icon flashing in his image link. Scowling when he noticed the sender's identity was blocked, the ork checked the message anyway.

Well now... that's interesting, he thought to himself as he responded to the text.
DrZaius

Reluctantly, Grease sends the video across the table to Murphy.

Let him think I was pushing him on price...

"I'll give you a minute to review it, but this has got to be worth a heck of a lot more than all the bits and pieces you're pulling from WatchMe!" Grease gave his normal drek-eating grin adding, "We freelancers take a certain appreciation of our art. Are you sure you WANT video of officers of Lone Star delivering an illegal warrant and starting a riot at a peace rally?"
Lobo0705

Murphy completes the download of the file, then reaches into his pocket, pulls out a certified credstick, and slides it across the table. "Hey pal, I ain't a rat, but this is over the top. Whatever is going on here is likely to get me or my friends shot the next time we have to go in the Warrens, and that drek-hole is bad enough as it is."

Dropping his finished cigar into an ashtray, he pulls a new one from his pocket, sniffs it, and then bites off the end and spits it on the floor. He lights up, and starts to rise. "Ladies, pleasure doing business with you."

Murphy walks toward the exit, and stops to speak to the waitress a moment, then leaves. Grease finishes his drink, then slots the credstick into his 'link, the balance showing 1500 nuyen.gif Before he has much time to enjoy the extra 500 he made, the waitress stops at the table. "Will that be all honey? Your friend you'd be taking care of the check." An ARO appears in front of Grease, and it appears Murphy was drinking the good stuff, as the check is for 75 nuyen.gif...

DrZaius

Grease smiles, and answers the waitress, "Nah, we're waiting for another friend. Just keep my tab open."

One he's sure Murphy is gone, Grease sends a quick message to Jack.

<<@Jack[Grease](CC:Team): We're at the Rusty Bar-rel. Can you come meet us?>>

Talking low to Overkill, Grease adds, "I want to ask Jack a few questions before we move forward. That cool with you?"
Jack VII
Somewhere in the Aurora Warrens, 9:08 PM, July 31st, 2075

With about one more mile to go to get to Nic's, Jack's message icon lit up again. Who is it this time? he thought to himself. Checking the message, he noted the drek-eating grin picture of an elf attached to the contact information and opened the message. Glancing through it, he frowned and responded.

<<@Team [JustJack] I'm hoofing it on foot to Nic's and should be there in about 20 minutes. Can you meet me there?>>
Always Overkill

Drave gives Grease an apprehensive yet understanding look, "Es ist cool, it would be for the best to get this out in the open now; so we can get on with the rest of our job without having to look over our shoulders."
Always Overkill
Double Post
DrZaius

Grease nods at Overkill. "Yes; I think it's for the best. I have to trust the people I work with."

He then reads the message from Jack, frowning.

Back at your house, on your terrain, with your enormous troll friend? No problem.

<<@Jack [Grease](CC: Team): See you in 20.>>

Downing the last of his drink, Grease motions to Overkill, while talking loud enough for Amy to hear. "We're leaving, let's get a move on."

If he thinks I won't kill him in front of Amy's kids if I need to, he's got another thing coming.
Jack VII
Nic's Knacks, Aurora Warrens, 9:40 PM, July 31st, 2075

After a little more than an hour, Jack finally arrived home. The shabby looking building containing Nic's Knacks huddled across the street from Sunset Park. Given that sunset had occurred several hours ago, it was more like Dark In Shadows Park now. Still, the shop was well-secured and it had been months since anyone had tried to break in; the ork figured that word might have gotten around not to mess with the old troll after what happened to the last drek-head that tried. Jack was slightly surprised to see the small parking area was empty. Apparently the team had not shown up yet. Then again, after having been in some kind of fight, they might be decompressing at the Rusty Bar-Rel.

Approaching the door, Jack used his commlink to cycle the maglock open. Entering the main shop area, the ork secured the door and cycled the maglock again. Grabbing his head, he twisted it slightly, trying to work the kinks out in a series of pops. Considering this was supposed to have been an off day for him, a lot had happened over the last few hours and it didn't look like he was going to head to sleep anytime soon. Looking around the room, he noticed Nic and Kevin tinkering with an old toy robot Nic had dug up somewhere. It was one of the few things in the shop that actually had wireless access to the Matrix. Kevin seemed pretty happy about that fact. "This one's alive, Nic!" he exclaimed, before Nic shushed him and pointed toward Jack's room. Kid must be asleep, the ork thought to himself before waving at Nic. The troll nodded his head slightly, a concerned look on his face.

"What went down tonight, Jack?" the troll asked.

"I'm not sure, amigo. I got called away right before the rally started. Something did for sure though... the rest of the team is heading over now." Jack responded while clearing off a bit of refuse covering one of the recliners before taking a seat. Pulling up his commlink, he attempted to scan for any news reports or weblog posts to see if there was any indication of what happened.
DrZaius
Nic's Knacks, Aurora Warrens, 9:42 PM, July 31st, 2075

Arriving outside of Nic's Knacks in the steel grey BMW, Overkill watched Grease nervously. Grease drove slowly over here, taking his time in AR, not really talking. "Slowly" being a relative term; it was still significantly faster than Overkill would be willing to travel, even on his bike. Still, for someone who seemed to travel at speeds best left to advanced maglev trains or fighter jets, going only 20 over the speed limit was cause for concern.

Getting out of the car, Grease cycled the action on his Ares Light Fire, pushing it into the concealable holster in the small of his back. With a grim, determined look he entered Nic's Knacks, making a beeline for Jack who was sitting on the recliner.

"You want to explain where you went?" Grease asked without preamble.
Lobo0705

As Grease enters the room with Overkill and Amy in tow, the following can be heard from the trid set in the other room.

"Hello, we are continuing our coverage of the attack at Horseshoe Park in the Warrens this evening, where sources say there are at least five dead and dozens injured. We have Christin Sciulli at the scene. Christin, what can you tell us about what is going on there?"

A pretty brunette is in front of the camera, the scene behind her a mass of police in riot gear and carrying assault rifles, with Steel Lynx drones and spirits maneuvering around them. There are several Doc Wagon vehicles on scene, but these seem to be ignoring most of the wounded, instead treating a handful of people wearing yellow t-shirts.

"Well John, as you can see, the scene is chaotic. None of the Lone Star officers present will make a statement, although we have received reports from sources inside the Star that indicate this was the work of "Warrens United", a home grown terror group whose goal is the repeal of the Treaty of Denver's stipulation that the Warrens is to be demolished. We have not yet been able to confirm that, and no one at Warrens United has claimed responsibility for the attack on Lone Star personnel."
Jack VII

Jack didn't immediately reply to Grease. Instead, he listened to the rest of the news report from Christin Sciulli in silence. He could tell by Grease's direct questioning that the elf was suspicious of him. Were he in the elf's shoes, he'd probably be suspicious too. While it was understandable, the ork knew he wasn't working at odds against the group, so it was a difficult pill to swallow, especially coming from this particular vector.

Pointing at the trid, he said, "I assume we're going to talk about that at some point? Because that is completely fragged up..."

Shaking his head, the ork continued, "Like I said earlier... my contact, the one who's gotten us our nice new toys and who was looking into the folks on Amy and Overkill's trail, ran into some trouble. Let's call my contact Pat. Anyway, Pat hit up a few of his contacts and then heard nothing back from them. Worried, Pat went to ground and asked to talk to me. That was the message I got at the rally. When I showed up at Pat's safehouse, we chatted and I thought that was that... Instead, when I was leaving, I ran into a gigante black troll who has to be Lynx's guy, Truck. He looked like like the guy the waitress at Schaefer's described. By the way, the reason he was silent at the diner is probably because he doesn't have a tongue. Anyway, Pat had two friends running interference on the troll. One of them's definitely dead, not sure about the other."

Jack closed his eyes for a moment while recalling the rest of the evening. "I grabbed Pat and we managed to snag a cab out of there. I put Pat up at a different place for now and then walked back here. Did the timing suck? Yeah. Did I plan it? Nope."

Moving with slow, obvious movements, Jack pulled his commlink off his arm and tossed it to Overkill. "Like I said earlier, I'm willing to be an open book. I authorized Overkill to MARK my commlink if he wants to look through it. Between the GPS logs, call logs, and text messages, there should be plenty to corroborate what I'm saying."

Holding up a finger before anyone could break in, the ork continued, "Here's the catch, I trust Overkill enough to let him look through my comm, but I don't trust you. Somehow, these fraggers are getting the jump on us, and I want to know how. Easiest way to figure this drek out is adentro hacia afuera. If you want Overkill to take a look at my comm, he has to be able to take a look at yours."
DrZaius

Grease listened, arms crossed. He let Jack finish before responding.

"That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out Jack. Where the leak is. If there is a leak. This whole thing has gone off the rails, and I'm not sure what our next move is."

He nods to Overkill. "If we check yours first, Overkill can check mine. I've got nothing to hide. I'm an open book!" Overkill wasn't the type to smirk, but Grease got the sense he wanted to after his last comment.

"Well, I'm not holding anything back here. Your story checks out, we'll be fine. With the luck we've been having, Overkill is the one we have to worry about, and he's calling the hit squad to our location as we speak." Before Overkill has a chance to protest, Grease raises a hand. "A bad joke. My point is, why are we behind the 8 ball here? We need to find this Lynx character, and get some answers."

As if it just occured to him, Grease's eyes go wide. "Oh. And we have a stop we have to make. There's some unfinished business to attend to at the place we were before we hit the Rusty Bar-rel." Grease eyes Kevin, making sure he doesn't say too much.

The fewer people in the world who know we killed a cop, the better.
Jack VII
Nic's Knacks, Aurora Warrens, 9:43 PM, July 31st, 2075

"Fine by me. You got the MARKS invite, Overkill. Do your thing." Jack responded.

Looking over the rest of the crew, he noticed Amy had changed clothes. Gunshots do leave quite a bit of blood... kid's too young for this drek. Figuring the crew would talk in more detail about the night's events at a later point in time, Jack returned his attention to the trid set while Overkill searched through his comm.
Always Overkill
Nic's Knacks, Aurora Warrens, 9:45 PM, July 31st, 2075

As Jack handed him his link, Drave was somewhat distracted by the news report, so he set it to record in his AR display while he did his work.

After spending a few minutes inspecting the link, he looked up at his team and said, "Jack's story checks out. GPS Records match, and the number that called him just before the rally was the same number Jack had called to contact his fence."
Jack VII

Jack shrugged, having expected that answer, and looked at Grease expectantly.
DrZaius

Didn't Jack just purchase a bunch of burner comms? Well, I'll play the charade with him.

Grease hits a few buttons, sending the MARKS to Overkill.

"I gave him control of my car this evening; I think it's pretty clear I've got nothing to hide. This paranoia; it's not helpful. You really should try to be more trusting."

Seeing Jack's teeth grit, Grease continues unfazed. "Once we are all set here proving my innocence and showing me for the paragon of the community I am, we really do need to get going to the other location; there's a time sensitive package we need to deal with."
Jack VII

Jack laughed harshly for several seconds. "I agree with you on the paranoia bit hombre, but from where I'm sitting it seems like you're aim is off... and honestly, what would giving Overkill control of your car prove? Ah, whatever, if everything turns up smelling like rosas, it doesn't really matter."

Now who's accusing who of what? What was that movie line about what to do if you got caught? "Make wild and outrageous counteraccusations?" Seems to fit well here...
Chrome Head

Amy really didn't seem to care much for all this back and forth between Jack and Grease, although she didn't intervene to prevent it either. Well that's a pain in the butt. I knew shadowrunners were not the kind to trust anyone, even each other, but this is getting old. "Aaanyway. What's that package, Grease? What the heck are you talking about? What other location?"

It had been a tough evening for Amy, and she had a pretty nasty headache right now, not to mention a bullet wound that still hurt like hell. She didn't have the energy to figure out even a simple reference like that.
Jack VII
Nic's Knacks, Aurora Warrens, 9:46 PM, July 31st, 2075

"Yes, what package? Now that Overkill has gone through my sock drawer, maybe someone might let me know what the frag happened out there? Although I have to admit, the story Christin is spinning is pretty riveting."

The ork continued to watch the broadcast as more bodies were carted off in the background.
DrZaius

Grease sighs dramatically.

"The package you left at the Doctor's office Amy. I think you may have short-circuited it. Ring any bells?.. "

Seeing the moment of comprehension click in Amy's eyes, Grease continues. "Yes, that one. Jack, I can explain on the way."
Jack VII

The banter made Jack think they may be referring to one of the Lone Star drones mentioned on the trid. At least, he hoped they were referring to one of the Lone Star drones they mentioned on the trid. "I feel like this is probably something I don't want to know about... but since we're a team, I guess I'm in regardless."

"Anybody need to take care of anything before we go take care of this package?" Jack eyed his helmet and armor jacket resting next to the recliner but rejected them as a bit too obvious. Hopefully the vest will cover anything we run into...
Chrome Head

"Oooh.."

"Right. Well, there's a video that this man was willing to share with yet another friggin' Lone Star, so you should see it too, Jack. There's everything on it. Long story short, I may have killed a cop tonight, and we may be donating his organs for science... We can talk on the way."

Amy goes back to her room and puts on her armor jacket. "I'm ready when you are."
Jack VII

Jack took a few seconds trying to put together a response. It didn't seem to help. "Wha- Cop? Video? 'This man'? What the drek are you talking about?" The ork noticed both Kevin and Nic staring at the team. Lowering his voice, he continued, "Alright, let's continue this in the car, but I want the whole story. From what you're saying, we're probably up to our necks in drek. We might need to tell Ramirez we're out and lay low..."
Always Overkill

Watching the exchange between his comrades while working in AR, Drave audibly snorted when Grease made the line about what a paragon of the community he was, but quickly covered the smirk that followed with his cybernetically enhanced reflexes. As Drave listened to Amy so eloquently inform Jack of the trouble they had run into after he had left, Smooth... was all he could think; he repeated the inspection he had done for Jack's link for Grease's; and he was not surprised when nothing out of the ordinary came up, save the few messages he exchanged with Murphy and someone who Drave could only presume was his dealer.

"Its clean," Drave said, tossing the link back to Grease as the crew was getting ready to walk out the door. "Now that that's over with, it got bad, Meine Genosse," he said, turning to Jack after the crew had piled in the car, feeling the need to better explain how things went down. "Right after you left, two Lone Star Patrol Cruisers and a squadron well-armed of Drones descended on the rally, almost as if on cue with its beginning. Chomsky and Greeley had barely had time to welcome the crowd by the time two officers in full body armor were marching to the stage to deliver an arrest warrant for them; on drug charges, no less. It all seems unbelievable right from the start, two cars and some drones to arrest the main speakers at a rally with hundreds of people in attendance? Suicidal might be a good word for it. I told Amy to demand to see the warrant, and sure enough, it was signed by a Harvey Brown, sound familiar? It was the Head of Homicide Ramirez thinks might be at the top of our conspiracy investigation. By that time, Chomsky and Greeley were already being led away to the patrol cruisers. We had to stop them, so when it was clear that talking was going to do us no good, we made our move, taking out their drones first. One of the officer opened fire on Amy, point blank using explosive ammunition, then all hell broke loose." Drave turned back towards the news update on the trid, his conscience obviously weighing on him. "Seeing the fallout from the fight on the news, I worry we may have been too reckless in our protection of them, innocent people lost their lives tonight. But I truly believe that if we hadn't acted, Chomsky and Greeley would never have reached the station alive."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012