Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Chrome Head
Outside Mi Pueblo Market, UCAS Sector, 3:45 PM, July 30th, 2075

Hearing Grease, Amy seems to calm down, but only enough to look a lot less panicky. Frag frag frag, why won't he let me in his car? "Chummer, I need to hide from the Police, let me in your car... calmly, but come on!"
Always Overkill
Outside Mi Pueblo Market, UCAS Sector, 3:45 PM, July 30th, 2075

Drave was shocked when he heard Amy's reaction to seeing the Lone Star Patrol Cruiser move up the street. The Cruiser wasn't speeding towards them, or paying them any special mind at all, but it was clear, Amy was spooked.

"Calm down, its OK, Meine Liebling," Drave said with a reassuring tone. He felt bad for Amy, she had been forced to grow up in a world where that sort of reaction was not entirely unfounded. Years of Police neglect and corruption had allowed her home to turn into a war-zone, and there was always fallout from that sort of thing, in one form or another. Drave had seen it all, born and raised in the heart of Anarchist-held Berlin. At least they had vigilante crews patrolling the streets, as no true police force was allowed to operate then, and those vigilantes' loyalties were always in question; but even with all that, the vigilantes were out there to help their fellow Lander, most of the time. In hindsight, he was glad he grew up with those vigilantes as opposed to the bunch of privately contracted Dirty Harry wannabes Lone Star typically fielded.

Drave dropped down to a knee in front of Amy, leading her eyes to focus on him, not what was causing her such panic. "They are just working, a couple guys like Ramirez, Taylor, and Manuel, trying to bring a little bit of justice to this unjust world. They aren't after us, drek, if they knew what we were doing they would probably want to thank us for taking the chance to try and help solve the murders of Ihre Kameraden. But they don't know about us, to them we are just a curious group of metahumans out shopping on this beautiful day. And if they should happen to ask, that is all they need to know."
Chrome Head
Outside Mi Pueblo Market, UCAS Sector, 3:47 PM, July 30th, 2075

Why is everyone stopping me from hiding in that damn car? Amy slows down and takes a deep breath at Overkill's speech. If I'm the only one reacting this way, it must be that I'm being unprofessional. Overkill says it's okay, so I better just suck it up. "We'll see about that. If there's trouble, it's on you. I'm SINless, and they can find out easily enough. God I hate the Lone Star." That last part was heartfelt, but also said with more restraint. The shaman was coming to her senses.

When they start moving forward, she says to all three, "I'm sorry for freaking out".
Lobo0705
Outside Mi Pueblo Market, UCAS Sector, 3:47 PM, July 30th, 2075

Grease smiles at Amy reassuringly. "Its alright my dear. Now, why don't we wander into one of these shops and see if someone remembers what happened. Although it was over a month ago, I hardly think that shootings are all that common in this part of town." He looks at the various establishments on the block, and then says, "Any preference? Should we just start here at the market, or perhaps try one of the other stores?"
Always Overkill
Outside Mi Pueblo Market, UCAS Sector, 3:49 PM, July 30th, 2075

"Why don't we start with that bike shop?" Drave took the lead and headed for Johnny's Bike Shop, ringing the bell at the front desk. As the clerk approached the crew, Drave began his inquiry.

"Guten Tag, good sir, my name is Heinrich, and we are private investigators looking into the shooting of Lone Star Officer Sylvia Wright. I know it has been some time, but do you or any of your coworkers remember the event? Any information you can provide would be most helpful."
Lobo0705
Johnny's Bike Shop, UCAS Sector, 3:50 PM, July 30th, 2075

The manager of the store, a healthy and fit man in is early 50's answered Overkill's question. "Absolutely. We get a couple minor vandalism issues around here, but that's about it. Having a Lone Star officer shot was a big event."

He makes some minute adjustments to the display models, and continues. "Unfortunately, I don't have a lot to offer in the way of help. I was working that day, and I heard the shots, automatic weapon, small caliber unless I miss my guess. I saw some action back in the 50's I could tell it wasn't a battle rifle. My guess is either an SMG or machine pistol, high rate of fire. Anyway, I ran outside, and the officer's car was right there." He points out the front window to the corner traffic light. "She was slumped over the steering wheel. I saw a bunch of motorcycles speeding away, but all of the riders were wearing helmets."
Always Overkill

Drave looked out the window at the intersection the manager pointed out, "Do you remember what time of day the shooting took place, or what kind of bikes were they driving? Were the riders wearing any gang colors?"
Lobo0705

The manager closes one eye in concentration, then says, "Mmmm, after lunch, say around 2:00? As far as what kind of bikes, I'm a bicycle guy, not really a motorcycle guy. Sorry about that."
Lobo0705

The team thanks the bike manager for his help, and leaves the store. As they walk outside, they see that the Lone Star patrol is gone by now, having vanished down the block. Amy breathes a little easier, and the group decides to try the store across the street.

Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:55 PM, July 30th, 2075

As Overkill and Grease enter the shop, it looks like they have entered someone's garage sale. Dozens of pieces of odd shapes and sizes line the walls, feathers, wands, dolls, scrimshaw, necklaces, and rings. Some are under glass cases for added security, and they can only assume that the piece of bone beneath the glass case is more valuable than a seemingly identical one on the wall. For Amy, however, the experience is very different. To her Astral sight, each of these items glows with mana - from a dim glow to a near blinding glare from the ones in the cases.

Standing in the corner of the room is a powerful humanoid shape, seemingly sculpted out of living rock. It stands with its arms crossed, watching the trio as they enter. Grease and Overkill are unaware of its presence, but Amy sees it clearly. The figure nods its head at her and says, its voice guttural and harsh, "You may look, but do not touch without my master's permission. He will be here in a moment."
Chrome Head
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:55 PM, July 30th, 2075

Amy enters the magic store and her jaw drops. She imagined this would be another one of those new age stores, with mostly false claims of magical properties, some Amerindian paraphernalia and the odd "curing powder" or "true-seeing headband". Instead she found the complete opposite. There was no hype, no attempt to make the stuff look attractive. It just was attractive. Well to a spiritual being like herself, at least. I never knew such a place actually existed. This is amaaaaaazing.

"Thank you sir. This is quite the collection! May I ask what the pricing is?" she asks the powerful earth spirit who was standing respectfully in the corner.
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:56 PM, July 30th, 2075

"My master handles all of the transactions, he will be here momentarily. You may direct any questions you may have regarding purchasing toward him." As if summoned by the spirit, an old ork comes through the door. His skin is darkened by the sun, and his clothes definitely tribal in nature. His long hair is braided and adorned with feathers and bits of bone. He wears a golden torque around his neck, and another around his right bicep. His aura indicates that of a powerful magician, who is also astrally perceiving.

His eyes pass over the trio, passing over Grease and Overkill and settling on Amy. "Hello, young one, and welcome to my shop." He holds up his right hand, palm facing the group, showing he carries no weapon. "I see you have met Miksha. He is an old friend, although not overly given to affection." The ork chuckles to himself. Miksha frowns, if a rock could be said to frown.

"So what can I help you with today?"
Chrome Head
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:56 PM, July 30th, 2075

While Amy was uneducated and barely literate, when it came to her specialty she was very knowledgeable. She viewed the objects in the store for what they were, and she respected the expertise and talent required to find or make them.

"Nice to meet a fellow shaman. Although my personal beliefs are incompatible with running a business, I appreciate the work that you have put into the practice of the spiritual arts, and the generosity of sharing it, even though for a high price, I am sure. Your work speaks for itself, sir. May I ask what is your going rate for objects imbued with latent mystical energy?"

She could have called them reagents, as they were commonly known, but she wanted to make a good impression, in her own way. She disliked using the wordings and technical nomenclature developed by hermetic mages, even though she was quite aware of it.
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:57 PM, July 30th, 2075

Stingray points to the west wall. "We keep plenty of them in stock. You will find what you are looking for on that wall." The wall was covered with shelving, each one holding an assortment of old leaves, bones, naturally polished stones, and handrafted dolls, dice, and other items.

"My prices are fairly reasonable, 20 nuyen.gif each. Take your time and choose the ones that speak to you." Turning to Grease and Overkill, he asks, "Are you also interested in something, or are you just bringing your friend shopping?" His face, although lined with age, frames a pair of brown eyes that are still clear and bright.
Chrome Head

"Oh I'm sorry, sir, I got side-tracked what with all these shiny things you have. We're actually here because we're wondering if you witnessed, by any chance, the murder of a Lone Star officer on patrol, a murder that occurred near the front of your store not long ago?"
Lobo0705

Grease holds up his hands, "We are all together yes, but not shopping for now. I will say, however, that your store is wonderful, and I will be sure to point my awakened friends in your direction should they ever need supplies. In the meantime, we are looking into the unfortunate death of the Lone Star officer."

Stingray looks at the three of them with a serious expression on his face, contemplating what he will say. "For whom are you investigating this occurrence?"
Chrome Head

"We are private investigators, employed by an interested party who wants to find out who committed this terrible act. As you might guess, a family member or friend is usually the kind of person who's interested, but we will keep the exact identity anonymous."
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:58 PM, July 30th, 2075

"If what you say is true, then I have excellent news for you. However, this is not without some risk for me to give this information to you." Stingray scratches his chin.

"This is what I propose. I will call upon Dog to help me determine if you are telling the truth. I will then ask you a few generic questions. Feel free to not respond to any you do not wish to, for I understand your need for secrecy, as I have not always been a shopkeeper. If you agree to this, and answer these questions truthfully, I think you will find my information most rewarding. At worst, you refuse to answer the questions, and I will not volunteer my information, and we bid each other good day. Is this acceptable?"

Chrome Head

Amy accepts without hesitation. "This is acceptable to me. I reserve the right to consult with my comrades before providing you an answer, however. What are your questions, sir?"
Lobo0705

Stingray nods his head, and places both his hands in front of his face. When he removes them, the his face changes for an instant, longer nose, wider ears, his jaw slightly elongated, but then they are back to normal. In the astral, Amy sees a spell flare into existence around him.

"My first question is, do any of you hold ill will towards the deceased or her family?"
Chrome Head

Amy starts off with a very confident answer. "I can assure you that none of us hold any ill will towards the deceased or her family."
Lobo0705

Stingray looks at her for a moment, nods, and then continues. "Have you been tasked to track down the killers of Officer Wright?"
Chrome Head

There was really nothing to hide on that matter. "Yes we have."
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 3:59 PM, July 30th, 2075

Again Stingray focuses for a moment, and nods. "Are you required to report all the information you receive to Lone Star or the Sector government?"
Chrome Head
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 4:00 PM, July 30th, 2075

Amy wasn't the smartest runner out there and this question threw her back a bit. Keeping a straight face, she started thinking hard about it, using her intuition to get to the bottom of it. Well we're working for a Lone Star officer. But we don't really have to report 'all the information we receive'. I actually feel very comfortable leaving a lot of details out as long as we find the ones responsible for the murders.

"Uh, of course not!" she finally blurts out.
Lobo0705

Stingray notices her hesitation, and thinks carefully before he asks his next question. "Would you feel compelled to report what happened to the people responsible for Officer Wright's death if they were no longer in a position to cause further harm?"

Chrome Head

"Uh, I probably shouldn't try to guess as to where that line of questioning is going. But I'll say this. We're interested to learn who committed the murder, and if someone hired them, who that person is. If the shooter is gone or dead already, how it happened and who did it is irrelevant at this point. But what happened still matters to the extent that it may help solve the murder. I can easily agree to conceal the identity of anyone who acted in defense of the victim if this is your wish."
Lobo0705

Stingray nods at Amy's answer, and turns to Overkill and Grease looking at them expectantly.
Always Overkill

Intrigued by the exchange between the two Awakened present, Drave nodded quickly in response to Stingray's gaze, "I will abide by the assurances you have reached with Unser junger Freund "
DrZaius

Grease is quiet for a long time. He isn't as familiar with mages as Amy appears to be, but knows his nature makes him lie, even when he knows he should tell the truth. Answering something in a straightforward and clear manner felt foreign to him, and he bristled at the request. He thought about the questions in his mind, turning each over in his head before answering.

"My first question is, do any of you hold ill will towards the deceased or her family?"
"Have you been tasked to track down the killers of Officer Wright?"
"Are you required to report all the information you receive to Lone Star or the Sector government?"
"Would you feel compelled to report what happened to the people responsible for Officer Wright's death if they were no longer in a position to cause further harm?"

The first question had a few doubts. Other than the police in general? Probably not. "No."
The second was trickier. As a rule, Grease tried to avoid admitting to strangers when he was on a job. Being put in a spot like this so that he could gather more information was irksome, to say the least. He ground his teeth before answering again, "Yes."
The third was easier. I can choose to report anything I want, depending on whether or not doing so will profit me. "No."
The forth gave him pause. Where the killers already dead? What did "no longer in a position to cause further harm" mean? Whose definition of harm? Grease wanted to talk to them, but he felt compelled to report nothing. "No."
Lobo0705

After hearing all of their responses, Stingray seems satisfied. "While I am no particular fan of Lone Star in general, Sylvia was a friend of mine. Although a mundane, she would often stop in this shop to chat, as she had a fascination with all things magical. She had even started taking night classes on the subject. My job is a lonely one, save for the spirits, and although Miksha is a great bodyguard and friend, he does not choose to speak much."

He pauses for a moment, gesturing with a hand, and a bottle of water floats from a nearby shelf over to him. He takes a long sip, and then continues. "When I saw what happened to Officer Wright, I could not sit idly by. There were a total of 4 assailants, each riding a motorcycle. I saw them come up on Sylvia from behind, and shoot her through her window." His fist curls a little tighter around the water bottle as he continues. "It was a simple matter to bring forth a watcher to follow them, and when I discovered where they lived, Miksha and I paid them a visit for a brief chat." His voice becomes harder, and more menacing. "It was not a conversation that any of them survived."
DrZaius

Nodding along, Grease responds. "That is completely understandable. I know that if anyone murdered one of my friends outside my very own shop, I wouldn't hesitate to act, and wouldn't feel the need to involve the conventional authorities."

Pausing as he looks around the shop, he continues. "There have been a string of murders, with a similar MO to Sylvia's. We believe there is a larger actor in play who is hiring out these thugs. We are trying to find out who that is, and stop them. Any information about who you visited, where they were hiding out, or any other clues you may be able to draw from the spirit world would aid us in our task."

Looking Stingray in the eye, Grease speaks plainly. "You have taken out those who pulled the trigger, but we are hunting Sylvia's murderer."
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 4:01 PM, July 30th, 2075

"I can certainly point you to the location where I found them, and, for all I know, where you can still find them, although that would require a little excavation. Miksha was very, enthusiastic, in his endeavors."
Taking another sip, he pulls out a commlink from behind the counter, and displays a map of the UCAS sector. An ARO appears on the map. "They apparently living in the tenement buildings on the south side of Sagebrush Park." The map zooms in to mark the specific building. "I left them here." Another arrow appears, amidst a clump of trees on the south edge of the park.

"I will admit that I did not question them too closely, so I can't offer you any motive." Fixing the group with a stare and a raised eyebrow, Stingray asks, "As for the larger actor, you think the Yakuza is behind this? Or do you believe someone wants to make it look like the Yakuza is behind this?
Chrome Head

"We're deeply sorry for your loss, and maybe finding reasons for why it all happened will help you find closure as I'm sure exacting revenge already did to an extent. At this point in our investigation, we have no idea who is behind this, to be frank, and that's the problem. But maybe things you know might help us. Did you talk to Officer Wright in the days before her murder? Do you know what happened recently in her life, either personally or professionally? You mention the Yakuza, were the four assailants Yakuza? Is that why you suspect them?"
DrZaius

Grease shrugs noncommittally. "I'm not ruling anything out. I think we're too early in our investigation to start connecting all the dots just yet."

He nods grimly at Stingray. "Whatever does end up happening though, I'll be sure to tell you if we find out who was ultimately responsible. Is there anything else you can think of related to the attackers? What they looked like, what they were wearing, etc. in case we can't recover their bodies?"
Lobo0705
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 4:02 PM, July 30th, 2075

Stingray listens to Grease and Amy's responses, and then says "While they were not wearing Tiger's colors, their heritage and tattoos mark them as related. I do not believe any of them were connected at any high level within the organization, but given where they lived and the tattoos, I would find it hard to believe they did not owe allegiance to the Wakenda." Finishing the water bottle, he throws it into a recycling bin.

"As far as Sylvia's personal life, the only thing that was new at the time was she mentioned a new girlfriend she had. I never saw a picture of her, but Sylvia mentioned that her family didn't approve of the relationship." He holds up a hand to forestall further questions, "And before you ask, I don't know her last name, Sylvia would only tell me her name was Cindy."

"To be honest, I didn't think this was part of a great conspiracy, more of a thrill crime than anything else."
Chrome Head
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 4:02 PM, July 30th, 2075

At the last statement, Amy adds "It might be and it might not be. That's why we've been hired to find out."

Grease had a better way with words, and truth be told he seemed pretty quick-witted compared to her, so Amy let him continue the questioning.
Always Overkill
Stingray's Fetishes and Foci, UCAS Sector, 4:04 PM, July 30th, 2075

Drave was satisfied with the team's inquiry, the old ork seemed on the level, it was not the kind of story someone would tell lightly. But thought for ease's sake, he added before closing "Vielen Dank Herr Kollege for all your assistance. I believe you did the right thing, the same thing I would have done if I had been in your place. We will keep this between us, and leave it to the Gods to pass judgement on those they will. By the way, did you happen to get any of the shooters names during your "conversation?" Had you seen them around this neighborhood before?"
Lobo0705

"It is not a problem. I can honestly say that I've never noticed them around here before, but I doubt they would have come into my shop anyway. I am sorry to disappoint, but I was not looking for their identities, although I'm sure you can pull some information from their 'links."
Chrome Head

"Did you take their 'links or do you mean we have to dig them up?"
Lobo0705

"In my people's custom, had I wished to honor their bodies, I would have wrapped them in a simple shroud and interred them carefully under the earth, and brought their possessions to their family. In this particular case, I just had Miksa use his abilities to have the earth swallow them whole, equipment and all, and leave them there, about 10 feet below the surface. While their death was not pleasant, it was quicker than they deserved."
Chrome Head

"Thank you so much for all the information you agreed to share with us, Stingray. Perhaps her death won't be in vain if we can get to the bottom of this. While you took revenge on the killers, we intend to extract retribution on their employers. I'll be sure to bring some business to you if I have a few extra nuyens to burn; it's the least I could do to to repay you. Name's Amy by the way. It was a pleasure to meet you."
Lobo0705

"It was a pleasure to meet you as well, Amy. I look forward to your patronage of my shop." He nods to Grease and Overkill, "Gentlemen, have a good day." He walks back into the back room, and closes the door behind him.
Lobo0705
[/color][color="#FF8C00"]Grease's Taxi, UCAS Sector, 4:05 PM, July 30th, 2075

Grease sits in the front of Grease's luxury vehicle, with Amy and Overkill both in the back seat. The car is still in the market parking lot, and the team has some new info to mull over before they meet back up with Jack.

Overkill says, "I'll be a moment, I want to get the video footage from the camera." He leans his head back against the headrest, and leaps into VR.

<<Overkill's angelic form races up and away from the market, looking down on this area's VR profile. While not as dazzling as the Hub, the area certainly had more to offer than the bleak VR wasteland of the Warrens. Avoiding distractions, he brushed aside the protective barrier between the public grid and the local one, and continued his journey toward the large building-sized Host that contained the files he needed. Two quick circuits around the building told him it would not be easy. The Host teemed with automated defenses, and virtual UCAS soldiers guarded each door. Fortunately, he was able to reach a high window, and with a green glowing glass cutter, make a hole large enough for him to enter. Knowing he had precious little time before he would be discovered, he ducked a patrol, and stopped at a virtual computer station. His fingers flying over the keyboard, he quickly brought up the file he needed. A few more virtual keystrokes, and he would be in... until the screen went black, and then flashing red. He felt a searing pain in on his cheek as a bronze star etched itself into his skin, and then the world exploded into chaos. With a smooth throwing like motion, a group of 1s and 0s formed a virtual hand that flew across the room and closed the door to the office. He continued to try to hack his way into the file, as he heard footsteps from down the hall. The door shuddered once, and then again, and then flew open, shattering off the hinges as a giant man-shaped piece of IC came through the door.

The IC closed the distance quickly and reached out a huge paw to grab at Overkill. Quick as a cat, Overkill ducked under the blow, and typed a few more keystrokes -he did it! He could see the file up on the screen. He was now faced with a dilemma, should he stay and crack the file with the IC in his face, or decide discretion was the better part of valor? Even as he was making his decision, he could hear more sounds coming down the corridor. Gottverdammt, he thought, and ducked another swing by the IC, ran out the door and dove through the hole in the window he had made, out into the Matrix. Flying back to his body, he shifted to AR and then out again.>>

"I'm sorry my friends, the security was much tighter than I anticipated." Overkill frowns and massages his temples.
Chrome Head
Grease's Taxi, UCAS Sector, 4:05 PM, July 30th, 2075

"All right, the hacking will be for another time I guess. It's not a big deal that we have no footage, since our other lead in this case seems pretty solid. I guess we might as well split up at this point? We can all go back home and wait until Jack is done with his meeting to decide what to do next. Overkill, can I hitch a ride on your bike again?"
Always Overkill
Grease's Taxi, UCAS Sector, 4:05 PM, July 30th, 2075

"Of course, Meine Liebling, I need to rest for a bit, then I will begin work on tracking down Lynx and his crew. I should have something put together by the time Jack gets out of his meeting and we resume our work."

Bidding "Auf wiedersehen" to Grease, Drave then got out of the Taxi and led Amy back over to his Falke, helping her on and then driving away back towards the Warrens from whence they came.
Lobo0705
New McCormicks's Seafood House, 4:55PM, July 30th, 2075

Having finished his reading, Jack typed out a message on his commlink to the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] Hoi amigos. I spent the last hour and change pouring over the notes I collected from the M Case. Here's the basics, from what I gathered. The notes cover the last year of M's career, seems like he was good at what he did. He frequently worked with others; pertinent to our work, he was partnered with VH, SJ, and GT. For the majority of the time his work focused on the discrete delivery of certain substances from the Sioux Sector to the UCAS, but not the other way around. Guess they weren't too concerned about that... Anyway, one thing that is evident is that he didn't get along with LT Calvin Bradshere and it was a situation that grew progressivly worse as it approached present day. The most recent case (#5427) indicated that M wasn't receiving the resources he needed. As a result, he apparently requested a transfer to the division that we were initially told he was working. Once we meet up, I'd like for anyone who wants to put another pair of eyes on these files to give it a shot. I could have missed something, there's quite a bit here. I'll call when my meeting is concluded. Despedida>>

Although Jack had told the taxi to get to the Seafood house at 4:45, an accident and some rubbernecking by other drivers causes a delay. To make matters worse, the taxi arrives at the restaurant parking lot and proceeds to drive around for several minutes, looking for the best parking spot. Jack clenches his teeth while he waits for the car's dog brain to select a final parking place, and then exits the vehicle. He walks to the restaurant, passing the open air dining area to his right, knowing that for Honeypot, that isn't an option. Too exposed for her, she'll be at a booth inside where she can see the door.

The restaurant is still mostly empty given the early hour, with only a few elderly couples taking advantage of the light crowd for an early meal. Sitting in a booth, as he had expected, Honeypot sees him the instant he walks through the door. She nods at him, and Jack walks past the hostess stand without a word, strolling up to the booth. Honeypot slides over to him and gives him a perfunctory kiss on the cheek. "Hello, Jack. Hungry?"
DrZaius
Outside Stingray's, UCAS Sector, 4:10 PM, July 30th, 2075

Watching Amy and Overkill speed away on his motorcycle, a slight frown crosses Grease's face. He wouldn't let them know in person, but having worked with them a few days he's a little worried over their well being.

I need to figure out what the drek is going on, and if I'm playing both sides on this thing...

Grease taps out a message to one of his contacts, and drives his BMW to a diner to get some food while he waits to hear back.
Jack VII
New McCormicks's Seafood House, 4:55PM, July 30th, 2075

Catching sight of Honeypot, Jack couldn't help but grin. It would be one thing if she were just very attractive, it was quite another that she was also involved in the biz and smart to boot. Jack hadn't ever quite figured out her ethnic ancestry. Her skin gave off a Haitian vibe, but she didn't have any hint of a french accent to go with it. Always a mystery, he thought to himself. Coming from a pretty tough set of circumstances, the elf had managed to use the customer base she had built up over the years to create a network to buy and sell goods in the shadows.

Returning the friendly peck on the cheek, Jack slid in opposite Honeypot in the booth. "Great to see you, bonita. Thanks for meeting me for dinner. I am a bit hungry and I hope you are too. I'm sure I can trust you to let me know if anything looking like trouble heads this way. I haven't quite yet been able to afford installing eyes in the back of my head."

Smiling he continues, "How are things? You mentioned you were busy, hopefully that's a good thing?"
Lobo0705
New McCormicks's Seafood House, 4:57PM, July 30th, 2075

She tsks her tongue at his mention of eyes in the back of his head, "Now Jack, that's the kind of trust that is liable to get you killed one day. I've got your back, just be careful who else you trust watching it. Before we get to biz, I'm starving. I've taken the liberty of ordering for the two of us." She sends puts an ARO up indicating that the table is ready for their meal, and a waiter arrives carrying a large dish, covered in seafood.

"Here's your dinner, Acqua Pazza for two."

Jack pulls it up on the menu, and it is billed as 'A a dish with plump pink shrimp, inky-black mussels, flaky striped bass, al dente slips of squid and preserved-lemon potatoes. The tumble of food is stewed in a vibrant white-wine-and-garlic sauce perfumed with sweet fennel and poppy hot chilies.'

A moment later a nice bottle of white wine arrived at the table, and the waiter poured, letting Honeypot taste first, and then leaving the bottle. She samples some squid from the platter and sighs contentedly. "Real food. Its the one thing I truly enjoy spending my money on." She sips some wine, and then puts the glass down. "I know you aren't as much of a foodie as I am, so I'll get to down to business. As promised, I've got your two vests and the contacts. After dinner we can make the exchange at your car - the vests were a little bit bulky to carry in here. You know the routine, corps need people like you, and you need people like me." She delicately eats a piece of shrimp after dipping it in some of the sauce. "Speaking of which, I'm glad for your business, although I'm a little concerned that you need the extra protection, hopefully nothing too dangerous in the near future?"
Jack VII
New McCormicks's Seafood House, 5:00PM, July 30th, 2075

Jack took in the massive repast in front of him. Madre de Dios! His mind whirled with all of the food in front of him. Considering the soy and krill substitute food he had largely subsisted on since waking up in the burning helicopter, the meal in front of him was quite a sight. Even the earlier lunch at Rita's hadn't prepared him for this.

Jack listened attentively to Honeypot and waited for her to finish before speaking. "Well, I hope you like spending my money on real food as much as your own. As the conditions of our meeting stated, I'm picking up the tab tonight, chica. I really appreciate everything you've done for me so far and, truth be told, I expect to probably contact you again before this is all over."

The ork paused to pour himself a glass of wine. Given his current living accomodations, he wasn't much of a wine connoisseur, but found that he enjoyed it on the rare occasions when it was offered. Not even pretending to have any of the techniques used to discern the quality of wine, Jack merely took a sip before continuing. "At this point, the gear is mainly to allow us to stay protected while maintaining a bit of discretion. The job's interesting, but is taking us all over the place. Small crew, I know two of them from the Warrens and there's a new guy who I'm not quite sure of yet. Let's just say the relationship didn't start well. But he's proven to be useful, even pulled together a few vehicles for the team's use. Although apparently they're not all that reliable... sorry about being late."

"Anyway, small crew but a big job. We're looking into a series of... incidents. Incidents of the fatal variety. So far, we haven't run into any hostilities, but better safe than sorry, right? The incidents all seem to be related to a drug smuggling operation from one of the neighboring sectors over here. The drug itself seems to be the newest, hottest drek on the streets, so I'm not holding out much hope that we're going to finish the job without a little lead flying here and there."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012