Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
DrZaius
Aurora Warrens, 9:46 PM, July 31st, 2075

So much for subtlety..

Grease guns the engine, making a bee-line for Jacoby's.

"Yes; it's probably best to watch the video. I was hired before we met to keep an eye on the rally by a contact. That's who we were meeting with when you were walking back from.. Well, wherever you were."

Seeing Jack's response, Grease continued quickly. "I've known this guy 5 years. If he's dirty, he's our kind of dirty; I let Overkill and Amy know about it before I even thought of giving him the tape. He would have been able to piece it together anyways, from what's already on the trid. BUT..." Grease adds, making sure that Jack can't get a question in edgewise, "I ALSO wanted to know if he knew anything about what was going down. He had no idea.The original reason he had me watching the event was because he said it was too risky to send Lone Star in there. He also said that someone switched the plates on one of the cruisers we have on video. If that's not a smoking gun that something isn't on the level here, I don't know what is."
Jack VII

Being besieged by information from all sides, Jack focused on one salient point in the discussion. So Grease had a side gig from another Lone Star officer that involved filming the rally, but didn't bother telling us about it even though we were treating the rally as part of our job and probably wouldn't have told us about it except that everything went to drek. The nerve of this motherfragger... Jack mentally slid Grease back down a notch on his "Can I Trust This Son-Of-A-Slitch?" meter. Whatever, it's not like I'm ever going to really trust this guy, but he certainly pulled Amy's hoop out of the fire.

"Alright, can someone shoot me the video?" Jack asked. Less than a second later, a message icon popped up in his AR feed from Overkill with an attached video. "Give me a second to check this out..." Reviewing the footage, it jived with everything the team was saying. Going into the Warrens with three officers was insane. The drones made sense but, judging by the damage they did, were carrying lethal ordinance. On top of that, there was no point in arresting Greeley or Chomsky on stage like that. The cops could have arrested them before hand or after, specifically at a point where they weren't on stage in front of hundreds of people. Combining all of that with what Grease's contact had provided led Jack to the same conclusion as the team, namely that there was something rotten about the whole thing.

"Un momento, por favor, did Amy kill a cop or did she kill someone who looked like a cop?"
Jack VII

"... and what the frag is the package?" Jack added before anyone could respond.

Opening up an AR message, Jack typed a quick note to Nic.

<<@NicKnack [JustJack] Didn't realize this was going to get so fragged, so quickly. We'll talk when I get back. Probably need to find another place for everyone...>>
DrZaius

"The package is the dead cop that Amy so eloquently pointed out in front of two new witnesses." Grease mentioned, glaring at the back seat. "He's on ice at my street doc. We took him there to try and save him, but he was too far gone by the time we got there. I'm fairly certain he's actually a cop; he's a young guy, looks fresh out of the academy. I can't speak for the ones who got away."

<<@Jacoby [Grease]: On the way. Should be there in 20.>>
Jack VII

!Dios Mio! Jack thought to himself, what have hey done?

Wearily shaking his head, the ork said, "I'm not sure how this is going to go over with Ramirez. Especially if the body we've got is a real cop. At least Amy was disguised when this all went down, so hopefully he won't connect the dots. Hell, he might ask us to look into this one too. But amigos, we've got to do a better job of keeping out of the spotlight. I'm not going to play armchair quarterback here, because it isn't fair. I wasn't there, so I don't have the right. Let's hope this blows over..."

Pausing to gather his thoughts, he continued, "I don't really like to disrespect the dead, but whatever the most reliable way to get rid of the body would probably be best. Lone Star is 100% going to be looking for this guy if they've seen any of the videos. Since there wasn't a flat-lined Lone Star officer at the scene of the rally, they have to know someone took it somewhere."
Chrome Head

Amy might be a young woman, but she was one tough mother-fragger. "You know, I don't regret a thing. If something similar happens again, I'll act on my instinct and kill 10 more cops if I must, to protect those who rely on me. There was no other way to save Chomsky and Greeley. I told them I'd protect them and to me that's all there is to it... For the record, I'd do the same for any of you."

"And as for Nic and Kevin, well I trust them. Call me naive, but you have to pick your allies and pick your enemies in this world. And with the enemies I'm lining up to have, I better keep my friends on the level. Kevin needed to first hear about this from me. I'll have a talk with him this evening. Please keep that from Sam though, she's still very young and she has a good heart.."
Jack VII

Jack hesitated to take the bait, but figured he'd go ahead and throw out his thoughts. Amy tended to act before thinking and it was going to get the entire team in trouble, if it hadn't already. Trying to catch her eyes in the rear-view mirror, he said, "Chica, there's never just one way to accomplish something. There may not have been any options that you could see at the time, but that doesn't mean they weren't there."

"...and while you might not regret anything, I think the families of at least five people tonight probably regret what happened." He figured it was harsh, but casually dismissing any kind of culpability in the deaths of innocent people wasn't something that should be nurtured in the young woman. Jack wondered how Amy would feel if the team hadn't been hired and she and Sam had been present at the rally as spectators.

Sighing a bit, Jack finished, "Anyway, unless someone figured out a way to bring los muertos to life, there isn't anything we can do about it, other than crack this case and put these motherfraggers down. Let's take care of the body and figure out if we know anything new."
Chrome Head

Amy was emotional and strongly felt the need to defend herself in response to the criticism by Jack. "You weren't there Jack. No one else was doing anything. Ask Overkill and Grease if there was anything else that anybody was willing to do to save them. The answer is no, only me was doing something, and there was no time to plan something fancy. Did I put the lives of people at risk? Yes, and I have to live with it and accept it within myself. But I don't have any regret. I don't feel bad about it."
DrZaius
Aurora Warrens, 9:50 PM, July 31st, 2075

Glancing back at Amy, Grease nodded. "It's true. I backed you because it's what teammates do. I knew you were the only one who was going to make a move because you cared about them. I would have been fine letting them get arrested, but since you decided to intervene you had my support."

He grinned at the rear view mirror. "That doesn't mean I like you bragging about it in front of Nic though. I was mostly being critical so you're more careful in the future with that type of information."

Glancing over at Jack, Grease finished his thought. "However, I agree with you about the consequences. We need to deal with the body, and I'd prefer if Ramirez never found out about it. Or anyone, for that matter."
Jack VII
Aurora Warrens, 9:50 PM, July 31st, 2075

Jack sighed, hoping Amy might do an introspective assessment at a later time. Maybe when the news picked up the faces and stories of the dead and started parading them around in the 24-hour news cycle, it might be more of an impact.

Looking at Grease, he nodded, "Well, someone's going to be looking for that guy. If he really is Lone Star, that's guaranteed. In fact, given Ramirez's position, he's probably going to know the guy's missing. I'm sure the Bereavement Fund gets involved somehow in these kinds of cases. Whoever ordered him along is going to know he's missing, not to mention the cop car that's still at the scene of the rally. But I agree, the less we're connected to it, the better."

Grabbing his commlink, Jack composed a quick text message.
DrZaius
Outside Dr. Jacoby's, Aurora Warrens, 10:13 PM, July 31st, 2075

Arriving at Jacoby's, Grease nods to the team. "Wait, here, I'll deal with this." The team waits while Grease knocks quietly but insistently on the door of Jacoby's home. Lights turn on in front, and Grease and the Doctor can be seen having a conversation in the front window. The team can't hear what's going on, but it would appear some sort of negotiation is taking place. After about ten minutes, the two forms shake hands, and Grease quickly walks down the steps and gets back into the car.

"He's taking care of it." Grease pauses momentarily, then continues. "So now what?"
Jack VII

"Before I pulled Pat's hoop out of the fire, he mentioned that one of his contacts, Renata, was a hooker who counted a highly placed member of Lone Star as one of her Johns. I think she was going to try the pillow talk angle on the guy to find out if he knew anything about two elves digging into the murders of a few Lone Star officers. Pat hasn't heard from her since and the girl is supposedly tied to her commlink."

Jack continued, calling up a file. After a few quick edits, he sent it to the team. "Here's the information Pat gave me on Renata. If we could locate Maurice, her chulo, we might be able to ask him a few hard questions about her last trick."

Jack's face lit up briefly. "You know... if Pat tried to contact Renata after she had been silenced, that may be how Lynx's crew tracked him down. If they're not cautious, and it really doesn't seem like they are, we might be able to lure them into a trap using Pat's commlink."
Chrome Head

"Uh.. before we get into how we might be able to get to Lynx that way, I just want to know what you just arranged for the body, Grease?"
DrZaius

Grease looks in the rear view mirror, but then turns around and looks at Amy in the eyes. His look starts harsh, but then softens. "He's taking care of it; the details of which are unimportant. Suffice to say, it is no longer a problem. If you press me I can get extremely specific, but I'd suggest we drop it and move on. It will be like it never happened."
Chrome Head

Amy was actually relieved to leave it at that, even though she felt she needed to ask in the first place. "Soka, soka. We can forget about it. That's good. Real good. So what's our next move. There's a lot going on. So Jack, you're saying that Maurice could be an indirect way to get at Lynx's crew the way Pat was caught? What about just using the code for 'Renata' with a message that will get their attention, from a burner 'link, and see if they come check it out?"
Jack VII
Outside Dr. Jacoby's, Aurora Warrens, 10:14 PM, July 31st, 2075

"Grease, you want to just drive around a bit? I doubt the doc wants us hanging out in his driveway, given everything he knows about tonight." The ork fiddled with his commlink, checking the news feeds and his text messages.

Jack craned his neck to look at Amy. "I was mainly thinking of two separate options. Bending Maurice's ear, and possibly arms, might help us uncover the dirty cops in Lone Star. Using Pat's commlink to contact Renata's number might snare us some of Lynx's crew if they try to track it down. At least, that seems like the most likely way they tracked Pat down in the first place."
Chrome Head

"Don't we already know that Harvey Brown's one of the guys we want to unmask? That's at least something we found out tonight and it's pretty good evidence, no? Ramirez confirmed it's a real warrant, really signed by Brown, and we pretty much know that it was all false or made up?"
DrZaius
Aurora Warrens, 10:14 PM, July 31st, 2075

Grease nods at Jack, and pulls out of the driveway. It's a bit distracting having him 'drive around', as your definition seems to vary in terms of speed and the necessity to run red lights. Still, you're on the move at least.

"I like the idea of setting up an ambush, provided we can make sure we're the ones doing the ambushing. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly lousy with firepower; with RHex down for the count, the best I can bring to the table is an Ingram X and a bad attitude."
Jack VII
Aurora Warrens, 10:14 PM, July 31st, 2075

"I don't think signing a warrant is an admission of guilt. The drug charges are obviously trumped up, but by all accounts Lone Star was doing their job before being attacked by Warrens terrorists. That's what the news is saying, right? I think the legal shows on the trid call what we have on Browne right now "circumstantial;" an association with that LT Bradshere guy, the gut instinct of Ramirez, and a trumped up warrant. I don't think you can arrest someone for that, as far as I know."

Jack frowned about the loss of Rhex. As annoying as Grease's drones were, that one had grown on him in particular. Responding to Grease, he said, "Well, the only one I saw was Truck, but I would definitely not want to meet him one-on-one. I looked around for their van when I left, but didn't see it. If they think it's going to be an easy kill, they may not come in full force."
Always Overkill

After typing a response to Jack in his AR display, Drave answered Amy; "It had to be false, Meine Liebling. We know Chomsky too well to think that he would have anything to do with smuggling drugs. Greeley we don't know that well, but I doubt that she or Rebuilding Together would be involved either. What we saw tonight certainly gives us more reason to investigate Major Browne, but I don't think its enough to make herr Browne worry that his involvement will get him into any trouble."

He then turned to Jack, "I like the idea of drawing Lynx and his crew into an ambush, and exert a little pressure on them for a change; Wird der Jäger zum Gejagten so to speak. I think we should wait until we are in a better position to go to ground, though, as the counterattack from the remaining members of Lynx's team that we don't bring in with the ambush will be fast and indiscriminately lethal. They won't be looking to take any prisoners, or leave any witnesses."

Drave thought of Sam and Kevin over at Nic's place and glanced back over to Amy before closing with, "We can't be at Nic's when that happens."
Chrome Head

Amy nods. "Yeah I need to stay away from the kids, and Nic too for that matter, until things calm down a bit. I'm thinking of just moving back to my apartment."

"About our next step. We try the ambush on Lynx first, or finding Maurice and looking for the corrupt cops? I'd go for the ambush, as that might guarantee us a part of the pay already, for finding the murderers and 'bringing them to justice'. They might shed some light on the conspiracy too, if they talk to us. What do you guys think?
Jack VII

"I got the sense from Johnson that 'bringing them to justice' meant turning them over to the ZDF in some shape or form. Now, if one of them ends up dead before that, I would think he would look the other way. These guys are violent cop-killers, but who knows?"

Jack shrugged, "The other problem with the ambush is that it's just a theory. I don't know for sure that Pat got turned out because they traced his commlink, just seemed like the most obvious answer. It's possible Renata knew about the location and told them about it."

Frowning, Jack finished, "I think the Maurice lead is a bit more solid, although it's tackling a different part of the conspiracy."
Always Overkill

"I agree with Jack on this, as much as I would like to go after Lynx and the ein bißchen Death-squad he has put together; we have neither the position or firepower to be confident that we could withstand the counterattack. When it comes to taking these guys on, all stone-faced killers, we need to be better prepared."

"Maurice, on the other hand, is a lot more accessible. In his business, you have to be open and available to expand his clientele. Which leaves us a lot of room to operate. True as Jack said, its another part of the conspiracy. But I don't think we are going to be getting any quick resolutions with this case."

Drave looked back towards Amy before finishing, "In the meantime, we can still prepare for when the time comes that we have to face off against Lynx and his crew. I am going to put a call in to a friend who does a far amount of arms smuggling, and see about getting us some upgraded firepower. We should also start looking for a new safehouse, perhaps somewhere outside the Warrens to throw them off our scent a bit"
Chrome Head

"We need to change location, especially you and I, but I won't go far from Sam. It's hard enough that I have to stay away from her for her own safety, I won't leave the Warrens. Actually, we could go check if anyone has ever found their way to my apartment. If not, than it's probably a safe enough place for now, considering that it's just a squat and pretty hard to find."
Always Overkill

Amy's remark gave Drave an idea, and he chimed in; "You know Amy, going back our apartments may not be such a bad idea." He paused for effect, "For luring them into a trap. If we can discover whether they are monitoring our domiciles, we could ambush those staking the place out. Or try and lure them in for an easy hit. My apartment is in the basement of a warehouse not far from here, if we could lead them down there it would be the perfect spot for a trap."

Realizing he was sounding awful gung-ho about the idea, Drave calmed down and added in more even tone, "I am not suggesting we move to engage them now; we don't have the firepower. But as we are getting ourselves prepared and continuing our investigation, checking out our places could be worthwhile. We need to find out how close they are getting, and if Lynx and his team have any wits, they would likely have tracked down me and Amy's apartments by now. Who knows, they could be watching the places as we speak, waiting for us to return home."

Drave paused again before continuing, a look of concern coming over him, "Also, I have been thinking that we may have a loose end that needs to be addressed: Cruz Security. We need to know what they told Lone Star after we left, particularly about Amy and her involvement. Are they selling the company line that this was some premeditated terrorist attack made by a group of militants who just happened to know Lone Star was going to show up short handed to arrest the speakers at a rally with hundreds of people in attendance? Verdammt, I probably should have bricked their truck before we got out of there."
DrZaius
Somewhere in the Aurora Warrens, 10:14 PM, July 31st, 2075

Nodding with Drave and Amy, Grease chimed in. He seemed more animated than normal, if that was possible. "No reason to give them a fair fight, either. We get some supplies, and we can take 'em out without firing a shot."

He grins as he elaborates on his plan. "Get Amy to make one of her phantoms, like she did at the park- only this time, it looks like her. She walks it into her apartment, or wherever, and have them come to her. They fill the phantom full of holes, but uh-oh!"

He smiles, pausing for effect. "Amy isn't there; just a bunch of grenades wireless activated grenades full of Neuro-stun, or the nastiest stuff we can get our hands on."

Grease makes a turn, and you feel one of the wheels lift slightly as he takes it at a speed above the posted suggestion. "We might not get 'em all, but we may get a few, and we can beat out of 'em where the rest are hiding. Plus, we don't have to be anywhere nearby. Or at least, we can arrange it so the team is minimally exposed."
Jack VII

Jack mostly listened in silence to the group. Considering he was the only one to have pretty much definitively encountered any of Lynx's crew, he wasn't so hot on trying to take any of them face to face. Granted, it had probably been that monster named Truck. If they were able to catch the mage or rigger unaware the task would probably be a lot easier. But there was no way to tell who would be sent to do the deed if they did bait them into something.

"Look, one of the advantages of being SINless is that it's tough to find out things about you. These guys don't seem to be very discrete in any event. If they had tracked either one of you down, you probably would have heard of someone close to you disappearing or dying by now. Not to say we can't check out that angle, I'm just not sure if it's going to bear fruit."

Yawning, Jack said, "So much for a day off, huh?"
Chrome Head

Amy was exhausted too. At peace with what she had done, regardless of what anyone else says, but drained, physically and mentally. "In any case I need to rest for the night before risking my life again. You all think they might know where my apartment is, I doubt that but there are other places where we can kick back for a few hours. I know of a house on Flanders who should be empty. I wouldn't stay there long cause it's in between gang turfs, but if we show up there tonight and no one's claimed the spot, it'll be ours till morning."
Jack VII

"That sounds ideal. Let's roll. The quicker we get settled in and rested, the quicker we can go nail these fraggers." Jack replied. Grabbing his comm, he sent a quick message to Nic.

<<@NicKnack [JustJack] We're dossing down somewhere else tonight. Trying to keep the heat off all of you. Be safe.>>
DrZaius

Nodding at Amy, Grease adds, "Well, with RHex going down this evening I'm down a major piece of artillery. If it's alright with all of you I'll drop you wherever you need to go, and go back to my place to see if I can get that rotodrone up and running."

Seeing Jack's sideways glance, Grease quickly adds, "Unless of course you want to keep an eye on me. I'm just thinking I'll be more help if I can add firepower to any engagement we see ourselves in. Losing that AK takes away a bunch of our strength."
Jack VII
Somewhere in the Aurora Warrens, 10:15 PM, July 31st, 2075

Jack shook his head and held his hands up. "No hombre, that makes sense to me. One way or the other, we're going to need the firepower; better sooner than later. If either of us have ropa sucia, Overkill knows about it." Catching Amy's eyes in the rear-view, Jack said, "I just texted Nic to let him know that we won't be home tonight. He should be good to take care of Sam and Kevin."
Lobo0705

Grease nods at Jack, and then shakes his head ruefully. "Problem is, we've got a lot of equipment needs, and not a lot of equipment to meet them. If I want to get this Rotodrone up and running, I'm going to need a hardware kit - and even if I get it running, I'm not sure if its a good idea unless we can make sure the guy who owned it can't track us."

Grease takes a corner at a sedate 30 mph, and continues. "Plus, if I want to strip that AK out of Rhex, I'm going to need to modify it so that it can accept normal clips again - which is going to take more tools that I don't have, and I'm not sure I want to drop a grand on two kits when I'm not sure when the next payday is coming in."

Jack VII

Jack contemplated for a second and said, "Nic's got tools scattered all over the shop. They might not be exactly the right tool for the job, but you could probably cobble together something that works in a pinch. We should probably swing by there anyway so we can recover our gear. Speaking of gear, if we're going to try to ambush these guys, it sounds like we might need some more hardware. Chapel's always been pretty good about getting this sort of stuff. Anyone want anything? We probably should send him a consolidated list."
Chrome Head

"If we go by Nic's house, could one of you two gentlemen leave one of your surveillance drones there to observe who comes by and let us know if anything suspicious is going on? It would really make me feel less worried."
Lobo0705

Grease looks at Amy in the rear view mirror. "No problem. I'll keep an eye on the place, don't worry."

Overkill, quiet up until this point, speaks up. "Herr Grease, I believe I have the necessary gear to assist you in your endeavors. A quick stop at my place would be all that is required for me to pick it up."

Grease grins, "Excellent, okay - hold on!"

The group first swings by Overkill's place, and after disappearing inside for a minute or two, Overkill returns carrying a briefcase sized box in his right hand. Grease quickly takes them back to Nic's house.

Nic's Knacks, 10:45 PM, July 31st, 2075
Pulling into the driveway, Grease turns one of his Fly Spys silent mode, and launches it into the air. Meanwhile, Nic comes outside to greet them, while Amy quickly heads inside to check on the kids.

"Back again? What's the deal, kid?" Nic leans against the wall, awaiting Jack's answer.
Jack VII

Jack replied sheepishly, "Hey Nic, sorry for dropping by without letting you know. We're picking up our gear. We're not sure if the folks gunning for us are tracking us, so we figured if we're going to stay anywhere for any length of time, it better not be here. Also... one of Grease's drones was knocked out of commission. We really need the firepower on the thing, you think you might have some tools that could help us return the rifle to its normal condition?"
Chrome Head

Amy goes straight for "her" room in Nic's house, finding Sam sound asleep. It warms her heart to see her so calm and innocent. Amy had killed a man tonight for the protection of her friends. She never would feel innocent again in her life. Making sure Sam would become a good and happy person would always compensate for whatever crimes she'd be committing.

Finding her way to Nic's garage, she found Kevin working on a toaster. "Hey Kev, sorry for all the mess I've made. We need to have a talk soon, but it won't be tonight. Please stay with Nic for a while, it'll be safer. I'm really sorry,"

Kevin turns his head towards towards the woman who had taken the role of mother for him, and interrupts her. "Amy, it's fine. I'm not a kid anymore, I understand you're trying to finally make some decent money with what you're good at. One day, that'll be me, too. I like it here anyway, so don't worry about me. I'm still keeping an eye out on Sam too. Just.. just come back in one piece, all right?"

What a good kid. "I will. Thanks for understanding..."

And she goes back to her team, determined to make things safe for everyone again. Lynx and his crew, the Los Mags, the Lone Stars, whoever is after us needs to be stopped.
Lobo0705

Jack's last question made Nic smile, and Jack cringe a little inside. If there was one way to make Nic happy, it was to ask him about his stuff. Unfortunately, Nic tended to spend a little more time than was necessary explaining what something was, where he got it, when he got it, what he had used it for, what other people had used it for, and generally any other factoid that he could think of. Jack hoped they weren't in for too long a night.

Nic's Knacks, 11:00 PM, July 31st, 2075

"And that's how I managed to get that screwdriver out of the clutches of those damn BB's - and a damn good piece of salvage it was. Look at that handle - like new, I tell you." Grease and Overkill were slowly backing out of the garage, each with a few odds and ends they had found in the shop, pliers, calipers, a few screwdrivers (not as nice as the one Nic had, according to the old troll), and were politely trying to disengage. Jack finally stepped in, shook Nic's hand, and said. "Thanks, amigo, we owe you one, truly." As they walked to the car, Amy came to join them from inside, feeling better about seeing the kids again, and now focused on the task at hand.

Abandoned house, S. Flanders Ct, 11:15 PM, July 31st, 2075
Grease pulled the car up in front of the house, and the group piled out. Launching his second Fly Spy, Grease then helped Jack take the Rotodrone and Rhex out of the trunk, and the group walked up to older home. Built at the turn of the last century, like the rest of the neighborhood it had seen better times. Most of the windows were broken, and the front door was hanging on only one of its hinges.
Jack VII

"Grease, you want to send one of your eyes in to check out this drek-hole first? I'll be happy to clear it once you've done a sweep." Jack asked, shrugging into his armor jacket and donning his helmet. This was clearly not the nicest neighborhood in the world and that usually went hand-in-hand with not being the safest either. He checked the action on his HK before slamming a magazine of regular ammo home.
DrZaius

Grease nods, then starts typing on his RCC. A fly-spy buzzes out the window and towards one of the many openings in the abandoned house.

"I'm sending a command for the taxi to come here as well, and I'll send this car home. There's no chance in hell I'm parking the beemer here overnight."
Jack VII

"Sounds good to me..." Chuckling, Jack finished, "Maybe when we're done, we should send Brandy a message and tell her about this little gem?"
DrZaius

Not looking up from his work, Grease adds distractedly, "Nothing is good enough for my Jo-Jo.."
Lobo0705

After sharing a quiet laugh, an incongruous sound after the last couple of day's events, Grease focused on the feed the drone was sending back to him.

"Standard layout, living room, kitchen in the back, one.... no two bedrooms.... Uh oh." As the drone buzzed into the second bedroom, there were several extremely large rodents huddled around the carcass of a small animal.

Jack looked back, concerned. "What does 'Uh oh' mean?"

Grease moved his drone out of harms way, and said, "There are three of the biggest rats I've ever seen in the second bedroom - here, take a look." With a thought, Grease sends the video feed over to Jack, whose trode net feeds the image direct to his optic nerve. Each "rat" is completely hairless, and about a meter in length.
Jack VII

"Drek..." Jack said, immediately recognizing the creatures. "Ratas Diablo, fraggin' devil rats. Three of them shouldn't be too tough, just a waste of bullets for something like that though." Jack re-checked the action on his HK and said, "Unless someone has a better idea, I'll head in there and take care of them."
DrZaius
Abandoned house, S. Flanders Ct, 11:16 PM, July 31st, 2075

Shrugging, Grease comments, "You want backup? They look pretty big to me. Wouldn't do us much good to get a safehouse, only to have you with a big bite out of your leg and less able to help defend us."
Jack VII

Scratching his chin, Jack replied, "I won't turn it down, my only requirement is that anyone coming along has a silenced weapon. Last thing we need to do is eliminate this problem and draw in a bigger one. It's going to be pretty tight quarters though and we haven't trained together for that, so everyone needs to be careful where they're aiming."
Chrome Head

Amy dares to suggest, "Perhaps there's a more subtle way to handle this. I'm not sure what is the best course, but I can probably save you some bullets."
Always Overkill

Drave pulled out his Crusader and attached the silencer, giving Jack a silent nod that he would go in with him; just before Amy chimed in. "What did you have in mind, Meine Liebling?" Drave asked Amy in response to her offer.
Chrome Head

"Well, the fact is that there are spirits attuned to different parts of nature. In the fight you witnessed one very powerful one that bonds with the sky and the clouds. Some others like the one that fetched the broken drones are actually animalistic in behavior as well as in appearance. Those can be commanded to lead a small pack of beasts. If I wanted, I could actually use the rats as guards for our house until the sun goes up, or just lead them far away from this house, or even into a trap."
Jack VII

Jack listened to Amy intently and was impressed. "If your spirit can get them out of here, I think that would be the best plan. Sin alharacas, sin despeinarse"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012