Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Jack VII
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:24 PM, August 1st, 2075

Drek... Jack thought as the tribal band poured out of the building. Stopped at the barricade, the ork took in the group and, not seeing the taxi in sight, hoped that they could avoid a confrontation until the vehicle arrived.
DrZaius
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:24 PM, August 1st, 2075

I knew we shouldn't have turned around; that Thraha is full of drek.

Not bothering with the subvocal, Grease addressed his teammates directly.

"Cab's still a minute out; and this doesn't look like the welcoming committee. I think we're on their turf, and they don't seem pleased about it. We can try talking our way out of it, or maybe something a little more drastic."

In the meantime, he sets their hostage's feet down and cycles the action on his Ingram, followed by quickly entering a few commands on his RCC.

<<@Flyspy [Grease]: Continue monitoring for other threats. >>
<<@Bumble [Grease]: Lower altitude and prepare to engage in suppressing fire.>>
<<@Gypsy [Grease]: Proceed to marked location at speed; permission to ignore street laws granted.>>
Jack VII

"They're still pretty far away. We might still be able to outrun them, at least until the car gets here. We're not really in the position to fight right now..."

If push came to shove, Jack thought they should try to talk their way out of it given how outnumbered they were. At least until the car got there.
Chrome Head

Meanwhile, Amy was seemingly looking at something only her could see. As she was taking cover, she speaks to no one in particular. "Two spirits incoming. Don't engage yet."

Very focused, many things were going through Amy's mind at once, but above all she was keeping the security of the team at the top of her concerns.

"Thraha, protect us from harm. If a confrontation starts, fight until we're safe."
Jack VII
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:25 PM, August 1st, 2075

Jack looked at the crowd nervously. The new information from Amy made their situation even more dire. With spirit support, they probably had a mage or two on their side. Unlike the most recent fight, they didn't have the drop on these people. "Spirits? Drek, looks like running is out. Luchar o huir..."

Jack looked to Overkill, the currently designated team leader, for a decision. "What's the play, amigo?"
Lobo0705
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:25 PM, August 1st, 2075

"Time to be leaving." We're never getting out of here carrying him. Overkill drops the blond man unceremoniously on the ground, and coldy puts a round from his SMG into his head. No more than he deserved.

Grease is left a little slackjawed, holding the now twitching man's feet suspended off the ground. I'll explain it later, there's too many of them to stand and fight.

"Liebschen, can you have the spirit cover our escape? Let's go!" Propelling Grease with his left hand, Overkill takes one look over his shoulder at the tribesmen and starts to move down the trail.
Chrome Head

Amy shivers slightly at Overkill's execution of the unconscious man. I've never seen Overkill like this before. Frak!

"Already covered. If they attack, the spirit attacks back."

Amy keeps looking behind her regularly as she hightails it.
Jack VII

Jack ducked at the sound of the nearby gunshot. Frag! They're already on us? Turning his head, he noticed the small trail of smoke coming from the end of Overkill's SCK and the small, but expanding, puddle of blood underneath the blonde man's head. Shrugging, the ork tightened his grip on the girl's legs. Hope they don't have anyone else on ice for tomorrow night's planned sacrifice.

The ork briefly considered stopping to collect a finger from the man to prove his identity to Ramirez, but figured that the inbound spirits and tribe weren't going to wait for him. Hopefully one of the commlinks would have enough information to determine his identity.

At Overkill's urging, the ork started to run.
Lobo0705

The team breaks into a run, tree branches whipping at their faces as they head down the narrow path to the road to meet the taxi. Overkill starts to pull ahead, the vat grown muscles in his legs giving him greater off-the-block speed than the others. He reaches a tree about a dozen yards ahead of the group and turns, looking back down the way they had come. The tribesmen were slowly gaining, and were about halfway across the parking lot now. The others were catching up, and he waved them past. Of all the times I've complained about Grease's driving too fast, for once I wish he was behind the wheel of the taxi...

As Amy blew by Overkill's position, she checked back again, looking at the astral. The whirling cyclone that was Thraha hovered in the Astral in the middle of the path, the two beast spirits circling him and snarling, although not yet attacking. As Amy watched, two more astral forms arrived, their glowing humanoid forms about man-height, glowing alternating shades of red and purple.

"Leave this place or be destroyed!" the one form shouted, its hands held up over its head, energy crackling between its hands.

Chrome Head

Amy felt the surge of emotions from the astral form, and she knew her own emotions must be showing as well. Right now, she felt threatened, but her fighting spirit was still way up. There was no showing any kind of weakness to people like this. She answered astrally, hoping the message would come across.

"We mean no harm. Don't come too close to us and we'll be out before you know it."
Lobo0705
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:26 PM, August 1st, 2075

As the team moved quickly down the trail, headlights could be seen coming the other way, heralding Grease's taxi arriving at the scene. Jack was the first one to the car, and as he reached for the door handle, the door sprang open prematurely, rapping him painfully on the knuckles. As he snatched his hand back in pain, he saw the other three were busy looking back at their pursuers. Gritting his teeth, he approached the taxi cautiously, and then sprang inside, the door slamming shut just an instant later, narrowly missing slamming his fingers in the door.

Grease popped in a moment later, "Ah, good, you're already inside."

Jack started to say something, then just nodded and crossed his arms. Overkill was waiting at the passenger door for Amy to come in, and the young elven woman slowly backed toward the car, keeping here eyes on the other shamans at all times. With a silent nod to the astral forms, she mentally beckoned Thraha to follow, and got in beside Jack. Overkill, once the last member of his team was safe, got in at last.

As Grease skillfully turned the car around, the last image the team got as they rounded a curve was the tribesmen lifted the body of the blonde man on their shoulders, carrying him back to their base.

"Well, where to now?", asked Grease.
Chrome Head
Rocky Mountain Arsenal Main Entrance, Rocky Mountain Arsenal 11:26 PM, August 1st, 2075

"I dunno where to go. I'd rather not go to Nic's place cause we don't know how this one will react when we wake her up. I guess we can go back to 'our' house..." Amy said.

Thinking about what had just happened, she adds "What do you think they'll do to the cultist?"
DrZaius

"With any luck; eat 'em."

Grease punctuates his statement by shifting the cab into gear and laying rubber down, leaving the area faster than a scalded cat. Looking out the back window the crowd grow small rapidly, until Grease takes a turn on 3 wheels and they're gone.
Jack VII

His face pushed into the window by the high speed turn, Jack watched as a variety of foliage zipped past. As the car returned to the abnormally high speed that marked Grease's typical driving pattern, the ork provided his input. "I'm not so sure about the house. I think it was perfect for what we needed it for, but we need somewhere a little more secure with a few more amenities now. What about your place, Overkill?"
Lobo0705
East 56th, 11:31 PM, August 1st, 2075

Overkill keeps checking his AR feed as the car speeds through the night. "I am willing to offer my place, although I wish we had somewhere closer. The longer I stay in the Matrix, the closer that GOD gets to tracking me down, and the more possibility that someone checks that sensor feed." With a mental command, Overkill sends an ARO to Grease. "Go quickly, I can start hacking in a moment now that we are out of those verdammnte woods."

Lobo0705
East 56th, 11:33 PM, August 1st, 2075

As the car careened aournd the curves, Overkill tightened his seat belt, slumped a little lower in the chair, and closed his eyes.

The signal from the Matrix was much clearer now that they were out of the Arsenal, and the area around him lit up like a Christmas tree as icons appeared. Zipping through the traffic, Overkill could see the various icons for the vehicles and the personas of the passengers within, all going about their daily lives. Glad to be back among his element, he focuses his vision on he icon he had marked before. Reaching out to the connection already made, he slowly increased his connection to it, the icon changing from a soft translucent green to a much brighter one as he marked it again.

Satisfied, he pulled a small, exquisitely detailed globe out from under his robes, placed it down next to the icon, and spun the globe. He held the icon with his left hand, while holding his right hand above the globe, index finger extended downward like a dagger. He concentrated on the icon in his left hand, and then with a sudden motion stabbed downward with his finger. He looked at the location, grimaced, and then put the globe away.

Opening his eyes in time to see Grease swerve up onto the sidewalk to avoid a car that was clearly traveling too slowly at only 50mph in a 25mph zone, he closed them again, and then opened one slowly. "The good news, mein Freunde is that I know where the icon is. The bad news is that it is in Billings Street, in the middle of Los Mags territory."
Jack VII

"I guess that isn't entirely unexpected. If the icon's related to Gutter, that probably means the rest of the crew is holed up with the LMs. Frag, can't anything be [/i]sencillo[/i]? Looks like we're probably going to have to put together a plan to draw them out, rather than going to them. Nothing much we can really do about it now... Let's take care of our current situation with the girl, check through the commlinks and gear we grabbed for any clues about this cult, and put that bit of business to bed."

Jack glanced at the still unconscious form of the girl. Swearing, he realized his bio-monitor was now in the hands of the tribe from whom they had just escaped. "Overkill, I may need you to brick a device for me."
Lobo0705

Overkill glances over his shoulder at the ork, and says, "I also do not like the idea of going into the Los Mags territory guns blazing. We should be at my house in about 15 more minutes. Is there anything you want me to do with regards to this icon? And what do you need bricked?"

Jack VII
East 56th, 11:34 PM, August 1st, 2075

"My bio-monitor was attached to the blonde hombre when he was in the trunk and I forgot to pull it off in the excitement of getting the frag out of there. I'd rather that tribe not be able to use it or make it difficult for anyone else who happens to find it to track it back to me. I've instructed the device to accept three MARKs from you to make bricking it easier."

Jack leaned back and sighed. The plan had worked fairly well, other than the encounter with the tribe at the end, but none of them were injured and they had rescued the girl. All in all, a pretty good night's work. 300 nuyen.gif was a price well-paid.
Lobo0705
East 56th, 11:34 PM, August 1st, 2075

Overkill nodded. "I'm going to try to get some more information about the icon I've marked, and then I will brick your device. Give me a moment." Slumping again, Overkill went back into the Matrix.

Swooping over to the enemy icon again, he picked it up, turning it over and over in his hands, trying to find some weakness in it, some crack in its crystalline structure that would reveal its function, but his efforts were frustrated. No identifying features revealed themselves, and he threw the icon in frustration, the icon rapidly decelerating and then slowly moving back to its position, not bothered in the slightest by his efforts. In an attempt to salve his anger, Overkill quickly called up the icon of the biomonitor, the small cross icon blindingly green in the night as it had accepted three Marks from him at Jack's invitation. Overkill held his hand out, and the 1's and 0's slowly formed into a huge two handed sword, which he smashed down on top of the icon, scattering it into a thousand pieces.

Overkill opened his eyes again. "Your biomonitor is kaputt Jack, but I am no closer to finding out any more information about the device that the data was being transferred to." Overkill rebooted his deck, clearing all the Mark's from the system, and making sure that the vengeful GODs that watched over the Matrix did not catch him.

2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 11:50 PM, August 1st, 2075
Grease's taxi skidded to a halt in the warehouse district, Jack's hand the only thing that kept the girls head from snapping forward at the sudden change in momentum. Overkill lead the way, through the front doors, past several squatters sprawled on the floors of the main floor. The place was a maze of temporary walls erected to give some sort of crude privacy, although sound traveled upward and bounced off of the ceiling so that the entire floor was a cacophony of voices. Heading down the main "hallway", which in actuality was simply a clear area in the middle, Overkill nodded to a few of the residents who waved back. Jack and Grease, who supported the girl between them kept saying, "Can't hold her synthol, the lightweight." and shrugging.

The team reached a cargo elevator in the back, and Overkill tripped the mechanism with a wave of his hand, after disarming the security he had installed at his own expense. A thirty second trip down, and the team was met by a blur of motion as a small black cat launched itself at Overkill's legs, almost tripping him. As the cat rubbed itself around Overkill's ankles, he sat down and petted it, whispering in German. To the rest of the group he said, "Please, make yourself at home. There is a couch where you can lay the girl down." With another mental command, he started the soykaf machine, "Coffee will be ready in a few minutes."

The apartment was all one single room, with the exception of a small partition for the toilet and shower. It was divided into three separate areas by movable dividers, kitchen, bedroom, and workspace. Jack and Grease brought the girl over to the workspace area, and Amy moved some of the pieces of various mechanical devices carefully to the floor while the other two lay the girl down. There was a trid and what seemed to be a desk, but it was impossible to tell exactly due to the amount of tools and parts strewn across the top.
Jack VII

Depositing the young woman gently on the couch, Jack asked for some room to work and pulled out his medkit. The small kit contained a variety of instruments and pills designed to do light to moderate first aid work. Assessing the prone form, the ork was glad to note that her condition wasn't any worse than when they had pulled her down from the wooden cross. She appeared to mostly have sustained a mild concussion resulting in unconsciousness. Jack felt a slight twinge of guilt since he knew the damage came from the trap they had sprung, but he figured a bad headache was better than being drained of blood and having your throat torn out.

"Alright, I'm going to try to bring her around. Overkill, can you get a cup of agua for her to drink?" Jack asked. Looking at Amy, he said, "Do you mind standing next to me? She's been through a pretty bad experience. It might help if one of the first thing she sees is another woman. That and I'd rather not be flash-fried by a lightning bolt."
DrZaius

"I like what you've done with the place." Grease's comment sounds sincere, and his face betrays nothing, but you still feel like he was speaking facetiously. He circles the room, examining the nooks and crannies, probably looking for any listening devices. He's in rare form tonight, and it's clear the drive over here shook off any residual nerves he had from the firefight earlier in the night.

"So, where are we at? We've got an unconscious hostage, a few commlinks, and a trace that puts our bad guys in the middle of Los Mags." Taking one of the few chairs available, he sits down and casually puts his feet up. "Plus, we may have a line on the drug house; presuming they don't close ranks."

Turning to Jack, he asks, "How long did the ritual take last time? When could they reasonable expect Truck to return? Are we on the clock here without knowing it?" Before letting him answer, he continues his train of thought. "We need to snatch someone who knows something; I don't like going in there blind."

Seeing Overkill start to speak, Grease raises his hand. "Listen; I'm not calling anyone out. You had to make a split decision, you were in charge, and what's done is done. Besides, that drek-head may just have known Truck from their little afterschool program, and not anything at all about his other gig."

Rubbing his hands together anxiously, Grease finally says, "So let's lay out a plan here, win lose or draw. I think our best bet is to grab the guy getting high, but that may not be feasible. I think whatever we do it has to be tonight, while they're on their heels."
Chrome Head

Amy was getting weary. She had been shot at and hadn't completely healed, and she was constantly casting and summoning at levels that were taking a toll on her health. And now Grease wanted to waste no time resting, and go right back out there.

She sighed. "Well I suppose you're right. We need to act quickly while we still have the initiative. What's your plan?" she said as she stood next to Jack and looked down at the girl, taking one of her hands in hers.
Jack VII

Distracted by his work, Jack paused to put on his glasses and check his image-linked chronometer. "Well, when I got the feed last night... this morning... whatever, it was nearly-live, so I'd guess this is about the time that drek would be finishing up. Assuming they cleaned up a bit afterward and tacking on some travel time, probably another hour or two until they would expect Truck back, assuming he headed directly back to Los Mags territory. With that said, their rigger is going to definitely be wondering what the frag is going on... sooner rather than later."
Lobo0705
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 11:55 PM, August 1st, 2075

Lifting the woman's eyelids, Jack reaches into his medkit and takes out some smelling salts. Breaking the container under the girl's nose, he waves it around for a moment, and the girl sits upright, shaking her head, which she clutches instantly in pain.

Looking around frantically, she sees Jack and Amy, and brings her arms up defensively. Her blue eyes dart back and forth between the two, and Amy can see she is Astrally Perceiving the two of them. "Who are you where am I let me go!."
Chrome Head

Amy lets go of the girl's hand, but tries to establish eye contact. Smiling, she speaks to her calmly. "It's okay, we're not gonna hurt you. Take a deep breath."

[ Spoiler ]
Lobo0705

The girl's eyes remained wide, and her breathing rapid, but she slowly started to lower her arms. Glancing around the room, she saw Overkill sitting in the corner, idly playing with his deck while Oppenheimer was curled up on his lap. The dark-haired elf smiled and waved to her, trying to look harmless.

"Where...where am I? What happened?" She winced as she tried to move, her wrists faw and red from her time spent on the cross.
Jack VII

"Buenas noches," Jack said from his squatting position next to the couch. Obviously unarmed with a sterile cloth in one hand and the smelling salts container in the other, he continued, "You can call me Jack. Right now you're in the Warrens. More importantly, you're safe. It looked like you were kidnapped by a cult that wanted to sacrifice you for some reason. They won't be a problem anymore."

Reaching into his medkit, the ork pulled out a small tube of burn ointment. "Can I see your wrists? Those are some nasty friction burns. This ointment should help to soothe the pain."

With a steady eye, Jack asked, "Do you mind telling us who you are and how you were kidnapped? We're worried there might be more victims out there."
Lobo0705

The girl stretches out her hands and gasps in pain as Jack gently daubs her wrists. After he wipes them clean, he applies the ointment slowly to ease the pain, and then carefully releases her hands.

The girl slowly sits up, and says, "My name is Mary, I work for Federated Boeing as a consultant. I also belong to a group of Awakened metahumans that provide charity and outreach to those afflicted with magical addiction. The... the last thing I remember before... before being at the lake was being at a meeting, and an explosion. I.. think something hit me in the back of the head," she lifts her hand to feel her skull, 'but there doesn't seem to be any lump there."

She tears up a little, "I woke up again hanging on that cross, I didn't know where I was or who took me. Can you please just call a cab and let me go?"

Chrome Head

"We'll call a taxi for you right away, of course."

Amy was sad for her. "My name's Amy. Sorry to meet you in such terrible circumstances. I saw in the news that the Sisterhood of Divinity was hit last night pretty much the way you describe it. I just want to tell you, I feel very sorry for you and I'm sympathetic to your cause. I'm myself involved in a movement that helps the people of the Warrens, and our rally was also attacked."

"Let me give you a commlink, that'll help to get you home, I'll give you my number so you can reach me if you need something or you want to have someone to talk to. And don't forget to get some rest, you probably have a concussion."
Lobo0705
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 11:57 PM, August 1st, 2075

"Thank you so much Amy, and you too, all of you." Relief washes across her face as she accepts the commlink and leans back on the couch.

Her hands trembled a little as she punched in a number on the commlink.

After a moment, she starts speaking into it. "Yes, hello, I'd like a taxi right away, I'm at...?", she looks around questioningly.

Overkill looks up from his deck and says, "Tell them to pick you up at the Motel 6 in 30 minutes. We'll make sure you get there on time." He smiles reassuringly at the young woman.

Mary repeats the address, and then says "Thank you." and hangs up. "They said they would be there in half an hour."

She looks up again and says, in a quavering voice, "You said you read about it on the news, was there any reports of survivors? Do you know if anyone made it out of there?"
Jack VII

Jack shook his head grimly. "The Tribune didn't mention any survivors, Mary. But it also didn't mention anyone getting kidnapped, so there's no telling what the truth of the matter is. Lone Star is investigating it, so they might even be hiding things from the media. You're probably going to want to talk to them."

Thinking for a second, Jack said, "Can you do us a favor and hang on to that commlink? We can check with some of our contacts and have someone from the Star get in contact with you at that number, probably early tomorrow morning. I'm sure they would like to know more about what happened and may know the truth about survivors. It probably goes without saying, but we'd appreciate it if you could keep us out of their report. Just tell them the people that pulled you out of the situation were wearing ski masks and asked you where they could drop you off. That would probably be the easiest explanation."
Lobo0705

Mary clutches the commlink tightly and says, "Of course... I owe you my life, I wouldn't do anything to put you in jeopardy. I'm not sure what, if anything I can do to repay you, but if you ever need anything, you have only to ask."

She looks around for something to write on, and then shrugs and says, "My full name is Mary Tantello, you can reach me at LTG 9303-39293-4638, or obviously on this commlink if you wish."
Chrome Head

Amy feels reassured by Mary's attitude, convinced that she's genuine. "I'll give you a call in a few days to see how you're doing. Perhaps we'll be able to speak more easily when you've had time to step back and rest."
Jack VII

Jack simply gave the woman a small smile and said, "Glad we could help out, Mary. Here's some aspirin for your headache."
DrZaius

Grease gives her a tight smile, and a reassuring nod. "I'd lay low for a few days, maybe not frequent the same places you normally do." His smile turns to a frown. "You were very, very lucky. If we hadn't got there when we did, I don't even want to imagine what would have happened. You think of anything else, please contact us here."

Grease sends the LTG code for their burner commlink over to Mary's burner.

"The group that was doing this isn't going to be bothering anyone anytime soon, but there may be others out there. Watch your back."

Lobo0705
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 11:58 PM, August 1st, 2075

Mary smiles and says "Thank you again, so much."

Overkill stands up and extends his arm, "If you'll follow me, my lady, I will bring you to the car that will take you to the Motel 6. Gentlemen, I will return in a few minutes. Mind Oppenheimer here, he is an attention hog."

The two of them enter the cargo elevator and ascend to the ground floor.
Jack VII

After Mary and Overkill departed, Jack put one hand on the back of his skull and the other grasping his chin. With a quick jerk, he loudly cracked his neck. "¡Dios mío! I've been needing to do that for a while... squatting in that spider hole was muy incómodo. So what now?"

Before waiting for a response, the ork put in his own opinion. "To close the loop on Mary, I think we should pass on her information and what went down last night and tonight to Ramirez. He's pretty much above board; I think we can trust him to take care of her. I'm a little worried about who Lone Star has investigating it since we know Truck was involved. In fact, knowing who is officially assigned to the case might be tell us something."

Returning the supplies to it, Jack snapped his medkit closed before finishing. "I'm also going to try and get in touch with my contact who provided us the information about Truck and let him know that part has been handled. Other than that, I know I'd like to get a good night's sleep for once."
DrZaius

Waiting for Overkill to return, Grease continues the conversation. He's clearly still jazzed from the firefight earlier. Or maybe it's something else?...

"I think we gotta move tonight. We've got the element of surprise here. Truck was their muscle, or at least a large percentage of it. We wait around for them to figure out he's missing, they're going to gear up to go to the mattresses." Looking around the room, he continues. "I don't know about you, but I'm not too keen on having an assassin have my number and want to erase me because I know too much."

Looking up at the AR display in the corner of his eye, he continues. "I'm tracking Mary via the cab's sensors. I'll know where it drops her off, so we'll at least know where to check to see if she's safe later."

Pacing now, he finishes his thought. "I think we gotta go in there and make a move. Just waiting for Stinger to show up for his fix hasn't worked so far, and it's likely Lynx has them in lockdown. I'm not any more pleased about wanderign into Los Mags as the rest of you. I think we need a plan to get in there, and a plan to get out. Or at least get eyes in there."

Turning to Overkill, Grease asks, "You know generally where that Truck was transmitting to, right? You think we can get a Fly-spy in there without them noticing?"
Lobo0705

Overkill picks up Oppenheimer and begins stroking the cat's back to its obvious delight.

"I know exactly where he was transmitting to, at least where that was 15 minutes ago. But as to the defenses, I cannot profess to know anything about them."

Putting the cat down, he pulls up an overhead image of the area. "There are several ways in and out of here, but I'm not sure of how tight there security is." Pointing to one of the streets, he says, "Amy was able to walk in here, pretending to be an addict, and for all we know Lynx and his team were there at the time, so they may not be watching people very closely, I'm not sure about surveillance drones."

Chrome Head

Amy had no intention of going back into the LM turf if it could be avoided at all. "I've been in there by myself before, and I saw a very powerful magician there. One perhaps more powerful than me. The Los Magnificos have the numbers on their side, they might have Lynx's team, and if Lone Star shows up we all know what side they'd be on. So no, we're not gonna rush in there. I think that we need to continue to try and take them down one by one. Spying is worth trying."

Amy was frowning as she concentrated on the problem they had. "Maybe that part of the job is just too dangerous to pull off and we can just focus on other objectives, like rooting out the dirty cops who are part of the conspiracy."
DrZaius
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 11:59 PM, August 1st, 2075

Grease grins. "If it wasn't dangerous, we wouldn't be making the big cred." Seeing Amy scowl, he continues. "C'mon, how are we supposed to figure out who the dirty cops are without pulling this thread? It's all about what's going on down there. The pills, Lynx's crew, it's all tied together."

he crosses his arms. "We're not going to wrap this up without getting our hands dirty here. Now is as good a time as any. I'm not saying we should go in without a plan; that's what I'm trying to work out right now. What I am saying is that this feels like the first time in a long while I don't feel like I'm on my heels during this thing!" His voice and color rising, "We've got the upper hand! We've got just a BIT of a drop on the bad guys! We have to strike while the iron is hot!"
Jack VII

"I've got to agree with Amy on this one, I don't think we're in any position to march into Los Mags turf." Jack said, somewhat anticipating Grease's rush to do something that didn't involve patience or following up on the case leads they actually had. The ork wondered if they would ever actually investigate all of the crimes. "With that said, getting eyes in there would be a good idea, even if it is only to let us know if any of them head off on their own."

"Since Truck hasn't even been dead an hour yet, I think we have some time before they figure out something is wrong. Maybe their rigger has some questions concerning the van's sensor feed, but it doesn't point to us automatically. I think we've still got time to regroup and wait out Stinger. Now, about Stinger... assuming he shows up at that chip house fairly soon, do we have any plan that doesn't involve shooting up the place? It was pretty easy to get away with that in the middle of an abandoned military installation, but I don't know about the middle of the Warrens."

Reaching down and opening up the duffle bag, Jack grabs the commlinks and hands them to Overkill. "Anything you can make out of these? I don't remember which one is Truck's, but that one might be the most useful at the moment."
DrZaius

Grease sighs impatiently. "I'm not going to force anyone's hand here. You want to hold back, that's fine. But that's going to be a much tougher nut to crack when they notice the Troll is missing."
Shaking his head clear, he manages to appear to completely forget the argument and move forward. "I can get a Fly-Spy over there, but it may be better to have Overkill do so. I'm probably better at flying them, but he's likely better at making sure they're unseen. With something like that, someone is much more likely to notice it in the Matrix than they are with the naked eye."
He sits down again, leaning back on the chair."Per Stinger; I think I could do a pretty convincing impression of a drug addict."
He lets the comment float for just a moment, smiling internally.
"Put me on the inside of that house, and we have a much better chance of getting him out in one piece with the rest of us alive. We have an inside man, and I figure out when to make a move. Overkill kills the power for the street or somesuch, I clear an entrance for Jack and Amy, we snatch him and make a break for it."
Chrome Head

Amy was glad to see Grease focus on the right kind of action. "That's a good plan Grease. With you inside it would be much easier. If we could get our hands on a.. tranq patch I think they're called? maybe you could soften him up that way before we all make our move."
Jack VII

"He's going to be... downloading something directly to his brain, right? I'm not really familiar with chips, but is there something we could swap out for whatever he regularly drops that would knock him out or make him open to suggestion? Either pick-pocketing him or persuading his dealer?" Jack kept his gaze on Grease during his questions, figuring the man likely had far more experience in these matters than anyone else in the room.
DrZaius

Grease rubs his chin. "Well, I'm not as familiar with that particular brand of poison, so I'm not sure how to do what you suggest. What I do know is that if it's anything like normal drugs, he'd be anxious to try something new. I could convince him to try the "new drek" I give him for free fairly easily. It would just be a matter of figuring out how to program a bad BTL; something I'm not familiar with." He grins. "I sincerely doubt we'd be able to convince his dealer without a significant amount of cred though; it's in the dealer's best interest to keep his client happy and alive so he can keep coming back."
Jack VII

Jack frowned. "If you could get in there, I bet you could convince him to trade you for the new, hot drek that you managed to score. Well, if we had any new, hot drek to offer. I guess there's really no plan here if we can't get a chip that would work for us. Anyone have other suggestions? We could wait for him to leave after he takes his hit and ambush him somewhere. Hell, if he takes a cab there, I don't see any reason why we couldn't send a cab to meet him..."
Lobo0705
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 12:00 PM, August 2nd, 2075

Overkill looks up from the commlinks he has been working on. "I prefer taking him when he is alone than trying to break into another gang territory. If we can use Grease's taxi, so much the better." He tosses one of the commlinks onto his desk.

"This one was Truck's. It is a burner, there is nothing on here of interest. It might be worth holding onto in case he gets a call from his buddies, but then again, I'm not sure we want to give them any way of tracking us. Right now its off, so its harmless. The only call history it has matches this one." He holds up a second cheap commlink.

"This one is from our blonde friend who we had to leave behind."
He tosses it next to the previous one. "It too, is a piece of junk." He points to the other three commlinks. "These, on the other hand, are all high quality pieces of gear, but what makes this interesting is this." Picking up the first one, he says, "This is a Cross Applied Technologies phone." He adds a second, "This one is Yamatetsu." He points to the third. "This one is Ares."

Shaking his head. "I don't know what they were doing, but clearly they had some extracurricular activities going on, and I don't think that any of their corporate masters would be thrilled to hear about this. I'm not sure I want to dig any deeper on this one. I say we take these out somewhere and trash them."
DrZaius
2525 South Dunkirk Street, Aurora Warrens, 12:00 PM, August 1st, 2075

Grease shrugs. "I'm confident I can get in there alone, no problem. After that, I can just tail him and give you guys the eyeball on where it's easiest to grab him. A loose plan works fine for me. That said," he adds, looking around for something, "It'd probably be better if I was there already when he got there. He'll be less on his guard than if I walk in and start talking to him."

Grease frowns. "Is there an electronic way to tell if someone is messing with BTLs? I'd prefer a fake load-out, rather than thinking I'm a Troll Ballerina or somesuch when I'm trying to keep an eye out for this guy." He grins. "That commlink connection is interesting. I wonder if THIS conspiracy is tied to our drug conspiracy somehow?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012