Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Lobo0705
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:05 PM, July 29th, 2075

Ramirez waits until Overkill is finished, the scanner making the same monotonous beep as it went around the room. Satisfied, Overkill puts the device away and motions for the captain to continue.

"Good, you are cautious. That's an attribute that serves us well in both our professions."
Taking another sip of water, he continues. "The people who are getting killed are Lone Star personnel. For reasons unknown to me, investigations into these slayings are not being prioritized as they normally would be. In fact, very little progress is being made at all as far as bringing the cop-killers to justice. That's what has me concerned, and that's the job on the table for you: find out who's killing cops, and bring them to justice. Find out who's behind it all, and bring them to justice. I am prepared to offer you each 7,500 if you can identify the killers, and a further 7,500 if you can capture them alive and turn them over to the criminal justice system of the UCAS Zone. In addition, I'll offer 7,500 more each for proof of any conspiracy involved, and I believe there is one, and 7,500 more if you can capture the conspirators alive and bring them in as well. All told, each of you stands to earn up to 30,000 nuyen, no small fee."

Letting that sink in, he continues, "I will give you each a retainer of 1,000 nuyen, to cover operating expenses. This 1,000 is forwarded against eventual payment for completion of the job."

Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out four certified credsticks, placing them on top of the trid player.

"Do we have a deal?"

Jack VII
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:05 PM, July 29th, 2075

30,000 nuyen.gif ? Jack did his best not to reveal his surprise. That was a lot of money. An ork could live more than a year in the Warrens for that kind of scratch. Considering Ramirez seemed a pretty straight-forward kind of guy, Jack was pretty sure the job was going to be a challenge commensurate with that reward. Glancing at Amy, he couldn't help but think that she might be a little over her head with this being her first run. But, she was a grown woman and could make her own decisions.

So someone is taking out the Star... that's got to be a dangerous crowd to pull that off and not get caught. Jack contemplated as he considered the offer.

Jack glanced at the credsticks and then said to Ramirez, "How many murders so far, Captain and what is our timeline?"
Always Overkill
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave was actually surprised, one things he had learned dealing with the cops around the world is that you never see a more impassioned investigation from a department than when they are investigating the death of one of there own. That
alone was evidence of a conspiracy. As he prepared to pull down his AR overlay, you also took note that it was a tidy sum the Captain was offering; the people he represents certainly have deep pockets.

"I believe both myself and my young associate here will agree to the terms and stipulations of this deal." Drave said with a nod towards Amy. "While I am sure both I and my associates will have
many more questions to follow in this coming discussion; and in addition to my friend Jack's inquiries, I would like to know what kind of access we will have to your Department's investigation up until now."
Lobo0705

Ramirez opened the box, and began removing the contents, one at a time. The first thing he pulled out was an evidence bag containing an Ares Predator V. Following this is a smaller bag containing six small red pills. Both bags are marked with the same case number, and the name "Officer James Thomas". Ramirez says, "There have been eleven Lone Star officers killed over the past two months. Three of those deaths have been investigated and solved, so I assume that they are not part of the issue at hand. The other eight that have not been solved are the ones I think you need to look into."

He continues to pull items out of the box, the next ones are two different Ruger Super Warhawks, each with their own bag, both with the another case number, and the name "Officer Newton" on the outside.

"Due to the fact that I don't know how far and wide this conspiracy goes, I cannot trust the other members of Lone Star on this. It is for this reason that I have looked outside the department for assistance." He closes the box, and pulls out a datachip, handing it to Overkill. "This is the information I've been able to glean so far, along with whatever evidence I could obtain from the evidence locker. On several of these cases, other evidence has gone missing, and follow up on witnesses was not done properly."

Overkill takes the chip, slots it, and then uploads the files within to the other team members.
[ Spoiler ]

Arranging the items he pulled out of the box, he points to the red pills and the Predator. "These are from a bust that Officer Thomas made the day before he was killed. I haven't seen that particular drug before. I can tell you that there were 100 in the evidence room, I just took 6 to give you a sample. The gun belonged to a dealer named Twoman, who currently is in the Zone lockup."

Next, he points to the two Warhawks. "These two were taken in a bust by Officer Newton. Both guns had usable prints that came back matching some low-level bangers out of the Warrens. Both of them are in county as well."

"In response to your question, Overkill, I would stay away from Lone Star - the chance of compromising the investigation is too great. I will answer whatever questions I can, but you will find almost all I know in those files."
DrZaius

Picking up one of the red pill, Grease examines it with a critical eye. "Despite your personal feelings about me Captain, I am sure that Chapel asked me to consider this particular job because of my unique... "experience". I think even you can acknowledge that having someone like myself involved in the case may make it easier to work with than the traditional structure you're used to being restrained by."

Placing the pill down on the counter, Grease turns to face the Captain and addresses him directly.

"As I see it, there are a number of issues involved that need to be resolved before I can agree to help."

Grease raises a hand and starts to count off on his fingers.

"One: the file you have provided is good, but we will need more information. Do you have the personal records for these officers? Did they know each other? Is there a common connection between all of them? Without the resources of Lone Star, it will be difficult for us to make these connections in a way that will assure there will be no blow back."
"Two: What is the source of the funds you are providing? 120,000 nuyen is a sum that sounds too good to be true. I would hesitate to nickel and dime you over details if we're haggling over your pension."
"Three: If we are not taking money out of the mouth of your family, then the prices you've quoted seem misaligned with the risk and danger related to the work as I understand it. Making enemies of Lone Star personal is not something that is condusive to business. While we may find the killers and the conspirators, there's no way for us to know if we got them all; and if there are high level Lone Star officials who we don't discover who are involved, that could make this significantly more trouble than even the generous figure you've quoted."
"Four: While I appreciate the need and desire to bring the criminals to justice, as I am sure you are aware it is not always possible. I would argue that if we are able to find conclusive proof of someone's involvement in a conspiracy, the full amount should be provided, dead or alive."

Grease has been pacing around the room while talking, obviously full of energy. He started going faster as the wheels turned inside his head, but was sure to clearly articulate each point and make eye contact with the Captain. However, you also note that he's addressing the group as a whole; trying to gauge how they feel about the statements he's issued.

"Finally, Five. Why are you coming to us? Lone Star has an IAD division. If you felt this was a conspiracy within the department, then they would be the ones who you should have gone to first. How high up are you afraid this goes? What do you know that you aren't telling us?"
Jack VII

"Eight murders and Star resources are out..." Jack said as he pondered the situation. His commlink dinged as the Lone Star file from Overkill arrived. Tapping a button on his comm, he called up the file to his image link and scanned through it. "On the face of it, it looks like there are a few similarities in some of the assignments, but nothing conclusive."

Pausing to look Ramirez in the eye, Jack continued, "I'd also be glad to help, Captain Ramirez. The only concern I have is that these murders seem to have occurred largely outside the Warrens. I can't speak for the others, but I know my connections outside the Warrens are sparse. I'm sure you've worked with street snitches before, so you know it's going to take some nuyen to set up meetings and loosen lips. I'm just not sure if 1,000 nuyen.gif is going to be sufficient. If we can work out a bit more of an advance to help with the investigation, I think we have a deal."
Jack VII
Jack observed Grease's somewhat erratic behavior and frowned with concern. Is this guy high? Jack didn't think anyone in their right mind would get high before a meet with a Johnson, but he had seen stranger things, even in the small amount of memory available to him. Granted, Ramirez was an atypical Johnson, but you don't ask them where their money is coming from, at least not in Jack's experience. If Chapel was vouching for Ramirez, he considered the money good. On top of that, having qualms about who you are doing a job against seemed misplaced. That was part of the biz. Johnson offers you more money than the job sounds like it should entail, it probably means there is more entailed in the job. If someone asked you to run against a corp, you either took the job or you didn't, airing concerns about potential blow back was just unprofessional in his opinion. All in all, Jack was worried that hammering Ramirez, one of the few apparently upstanding cops in the Star, was not going to turn out well for them.

Trying to distract himself, he picks up the evidence bag with the Predator V and inspects it through the plastic for any distinguishing characteristics.
Lobo0705
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:15 PM, July 29th, 2075

Ramirez watches Grease move around the room, waiting for the elf to finish before he responds to the question.

"Lucid questions, to be sure. I'll try to answer them as best I can." He mimics Grease's hand motion, raising a finger for each point.

"One, apart from the fact that some of them worked in the same districts, I do not know of any connections. I can't pull their personnel files without leaving an indication that it was done, and again, without knowing how far up the chain this goes, I don't want to put up any flags."

"Two, the money that I am offering is coming from the department's Bereavement Fund. I will basically have to empty the fund in order to pay you, but that's all I have available at this time - which answers question 3 as well. My understanding is that in your line of work you accept a certain amount of risk, that will be something you have to accept here as well.

"Four, this job, like policework, rewards results. If you find conclusive proof of the conspiracy, you are getting 30,000 nuyen for doing so. To bring those responsible to justice warrants another 30,000. If I offer 60,000 just for finding proof of the conspiracy, that doesn't leave much incentive to bring those responsible in."

He pauses to look over at Jack. "I can see your point, and Chapel vouches for you, so I can go ahead and double the up front payment." He takes the credsticks back, and slots them into his commlink - putting them back on the trideo player when he is done. "Now each holds 2,000 nuyen."

His voice raising a little bit, he turns back to Grease. "As for your last point, I can't go to IAD for the same reason I'm bringing this to you to begin with. I don't know how high up this goes, and whether or not they have someone in IAD. What exactly are you insinuating?"
Jack VII

Jack quietly placed the Predator back on the bed. He next inspected the bagged revolvers for any distinguishing features. He stayed quiet, observing the stand-off between Grease and Captain Ramirez. Hell, maybe the elf knows something we don't... Jack had already made up his mind to help Ramirez, but was always game for a good show.
DrZaius

Grease waits for the Captain to finish before answering.

"Thank you Captain; obviously the generosity of the widows and orphans fund is not something I am interested in haggling over. My point regarding the dollar amount had more to do with our team (and your own) safety. Dead men tell no tales, as they say. If we are able to prove conclusively to you that the people we find are responsible for these acts, then what does it matter what happens to them? If we bring them in, couldn't the connections that have allowed them to elude detection so far be used to beat whatever charges a bunch of "freelancers" such as ourselves are able to pin on them?"

"As far as insinuations go, I was just clarifying my original point; this is a sticky situation, and if you are afraid of going to Internal Affairs then it's certainly dire enough to warrant outside assistance. My question was less an accusation, and more a query: what's your theory? Certainly you've put something together about this, and it would be remiss if we didn't ask your professional opinion about what you think is happening."

Lobo0705

Ramirez folds his arms across his chest. "Right now, this is being done in house. Lone Star handles the policing of the streets, but the actual sentencing is still presided over by the actual UCAS Zone authorities. Not only that, if there is a cross-border issue, then it would be handled by the ZDF, which is a different entity. If you can bring them in, we can hand them over to those other organizations. Is there a 100% guarantee that they don't have someone bought in those organizations? No, but if I subscribe to the notion that the whole Zone justice system is corrupt, then what is the point of doing anything?"

Ramirez shifts, the room is small for one person, and there are five in it now. Grease's pacing back and forth doesn't help matters. Ramirez moves to turn up the air conditioning, and then puts the bottle of water to his forehead.

"My theory? I don't have enough info to formulate a complete one, certainly. Clearly the officers either were involved in the conspiracy, and bucked the system, or were considered loose ends and were taken out, or they found out about the conspiracy, or were blocking its goals, or both. What that conspiracy was, I'm not sure. All I do know is that people don't want these murders solved. Which brings us back to why I am hiring you."
Chrome Head

When she has a chance to speak up, Amy brings herself to throw in a remark that she feels is important. "I hate to bring this up, but cops are getting shot in the neighborhood these days, probably those who know too much, like you. Do we have any guarantee that we will receive payment in the case of your early retirement? Don't take this personally, but it's in our interest to keep you safe. Maybe you should take a leave while our secret investigation is going on, and we can have one of us ensuring your safety, as well as the safety of our future payment method, if you see what I mean. You might as well help us, while you're off duty, no?"
Jack VII

Impressed with Grease's ability to squirm his way out of the Captain's bad graces, Jack returned his attention to the bagged revolvers. Now what do we have here? Mental images of the three gangers he had encountered earlier in the day flashed through his mind as he spotted the stylized LM on the pistols. He traced sweaty fingers across the plastic covering the logo. It looked like Los Magnificos may have made a bigger splash than Nic had presumed.

At the sounds of Amy's voice, Jack returned his attention to the conversation. It was a good question, although he imagined that Chapel was probably acting in an escrow capacity for the job. With that said, if Ramirez could keep himself available during the investigation, it would be highly valuable.

He waited for Ramirez's answer before asking his own questions.
Lobo0705
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:20 PM, July 29th, 2075

Ramirez looks over at Amy, chuckling "My dear lady, I had no idea you were such a mercenary at heart. Once this meeting is over, I will transfer the rest of the funds to Chapel, who will assure that should the job be completed, you will be paid. I cannot afford to take time off right now, I am too busy. However, I have anticipated your request." He reaches into his other pocket and pulls out a 'link, placing it on the trid next to the credsticks. "This is a disposable, with one number programmed into it. If you need to contact me, please use this."
Jack VII

Jack walked over to the trid set and picked up a credstick. "I'm in, Captain Ramirez. I apreciate you working with us on the advance, we'll put it to good use."

Tucking the credstick into his jacket, he continued, "Might as well start now. I have two quetsions. The file on the slayings indicated two of the officers had made busts just prior to their murders and that the suspects were in jail. If these murders were in retaliation for those busts, is there anyway we can get to them to question them... other than you arresting us and putting us in lock-up with them?" Jack finishes his question with a tusky smirk.

Turning the bagged and tagged Ruger over to Ramirez, Jack said, "There are markings on that pistol that match the Los Magnificos gang tag. Do you have any information about them you could send us?"
Chrome Head

Amy couldn't help but reply directly to being called a mercenary. Somehow that didn't resonate well with her. "If it's not for the money, then why am I helping the cops with their own problems? But you seem like a good one. You actually admit that cops are corrupt..."

After blurting this out, she catches herself. "Sorry, didn't mean to offend." She really needed to learn how to keep her attitude in check while doing business.
DrZaius

Glancing sideways at Amy after she apologizes, Grease walks forward and picks up a credstick. "You've answered my questions to my satisfaction, and I believe you are dealing in good faith. I'm in; we will contact you when we have the murderers and conspirators in custody. Is it possible for you to leave any of that evidence with us? I have some connections that could give us a lead on the pills."

Grease can't help but crack a smile at the last comment; but you notice it fade ever so slightly when Ramirez stonewalls him in return.

Jack VII

Seeing things going the wrong way once again with Grease, Jack interjects, "I would be happy to safeguard the evidence if you are going to allow us to take it into our possession, Captain Ramirez. The last thing we need is for evidence getting... misplaced and I have a fairly reliable security system. At least, I tend to think of trolls as pretty reliable security systems."
Lobo0705

Ramirez continues to sip from his bottle of water, looking taken aback at Amy's comment. Jack interrupts his train of thought with the question about the men in lockup.

"The only way to talk to them is to either go inside the prison yourself - which I'm going to tell you for your own good is a bad idea, or getting on their visitor's list. That is easier to do, but then you really can't compel them to tell you anything through a foot of glass."

"The Los Mags? They used to be a gang in the Aztech Zone. When Aztech got kicked out, and they got absorbed by the CAS I know they lost a lot of their juice, but they still are a fair sized gang. My understanding is they have a branch in the Warrens now - came over six months or so ago, but they don't compare to the Front's in size."

His face turning sour at Grease's comment, he accepts Jack's offer to hold onto the evidence. "No one is watching for these right now, you can hold onto them, although I will require them back at the end of our business together."
Always Overkill

Drave silently listens to the conversation as he collates the data in the files he received from Ramirez. He was surprised to hear Amy chime in a few times, even if she stepped on her own toes a bit. Thinking back to his own experiences
early in his Shadowrunning career; Drave remembered not even opening his mouth to breath the first few times he met with the Mr. Johnsons back then. He had to give Amy credit, she certainly had the guts for this type of work.

He watched with near amusement as the sparks flew between Grease and Ramirez, and held his breath for a moment when things seemed like they would escalate. Ironically, the ork managed to smooth things over for the time being. Then
Drave walked over and picked up the credstick and commlink from atop the trideo player. "Well herr Captain, as far as you and I are concerned, we have a deal. Once I have finished examining the data and
conversing with my associates, I am sure we will be contacting you with more inquiries regarding the case. Is there a time in particular you will be away from possible intrusions that we should contact you? "
Lobo0705

"Glad to hear it. Try to contact me in the evenings, as then I will be away from the office and any potentially prying ears. If that will be all, then I think I need to go home and grab a shower, this heat is unbearable."

Ramirez looks around to see if there are any more questions.
Jack VII

Nodding, Jack sayid, "Captain, is this room available for a bit longer? I think it would be in our best interest to sit down and come up with a rough plan of investigation for the next day or two before we leave."

Jack places the pistols back in the box and secures the pills inside his jacket pocket.
Lobo0705

Ramirez nods, picks up his hat, and says, "The room is paid up for another 40 minutes. Thank you again, I'm sure we will be in touch."

He squeezes past the rest of you to get out of the room, glaring at Grease a little on the way out.
Chrome Head

"Is this how things always go down?" Amy asks out loud as she picks up her credstick and plugs it into her commlink to double check the amount.

Turning to Grease, "You're the only one I don't know, so let me introduce myself properly. I'm Amy, and I offer magical support, though you might have guessed already. Jack, I didn't know you'd be here too, but it makes sense as this all started from Chapel I guess. Before we go any further I just have to ask about the elephant in the room. Grease, are you high and what's your story with the cop?"

This was her first run and her first meet, but she was in no way shy.
Jack VII
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack chuckled as Amy laid into Grease. He was actually interested in seeing where this would go. Pulling his credstick out of his jacket pocket, he checked to make sure his holdout pistol was securely holstered and ready. If Grease is high, there's no telling what he might do.. Checking the credstick, he initiated the transfer of the funds to his account.

"Let's hash this out so we can figure out our next move. But everyone play nice..." Jack warned.
DrZaius

Grease gives you that same disarming smile that he was laying on Ramirez, and addresses the group. "No no no, let me respond; it's a good question, and I want to make sure we're all on the same page."

Starting to pace again, he stops himself and grins. "At heart, I am just an actor here. You asked me if I was high? That's a very direct question to someone you don't know, and asking strangers direct questions can get you in trouble fast."

Seeing Overkill tense, Grease winks. "However, since we're going to work together, I don't see any reason to keep secrets from you all. Trust is paramount to a working relationship! So am I high? Yes, I'm off the rails over here."

The silence fills the room, with only the rattle of the air conditioner to fill the gap. Grease continues as if nothing has changed. "You mentioned you had skill in magics; that's fantastic, and a very marketable skill. I imagine your colleagues have similar talents in the "hurting people / finding things out" department. I was not born with such abilities."

Starting to move again, Grease drops the fake smile and addresses you in earnest for what appears to be the first time.

"My legwork prior to this meet suggested that Ramirez was not his own master. He's a vice cop, and many of them fall victim to the disease of "not enough pay, too many people with money" problem. I needed to know if he was playing on the level. One thing I can guarantee you; if he was dirty he wouldn't give a frak if I came in here singing moon songs and talking about how he smells purple. Precisely because he was so ticked off, we were able to find out he's dealing in good faith. All it cost us was me making an ass of myself; I do it all the time, it's no skin off my nose."

The grin creeps back onto his face. "So, what's my deal? I'm just a bulldrek artist. And I like to drive, fast. Both those skills have kept me alive and successful in this business for a while, and are sure to catch up with me soon enough. Let's all hope it's after we go our separate ways. As an aside, I think you all handled my condition very professionally. Top marks, I'll be sure to pass along to Chapel how well you all did."

Turning to Jack, Grease says, "About the pills. As much I'd like to chase this dragon to the sunrise, I'd actually like to examine them further for our investigation. I know some fairly disreputable people who deal in such matters, and showing one of those to them might surface some information about where they came from."

"So, now that the air is hopefully clear, let's figure out what we want to do..."
Jack VII

This guy is either lying his hoop off or one of the worst decision makers I have ever seen, Jack thought to himself as the words fell out of Grease's mouth. Even if he is telling the truth, who tests a Johnson's bona fides by getting high, particularly if that Johnson is a cop? Going with Occam's Razor on this one, there are a lot more junkies in the sprawl than masterminds.

At the conclusion of Grease's speech, Jack sighed. "That was risky, Grease. It's pretty clear your drug use tonight didn't help matters for us. It may have calmed the fears you had based on the bad info you developed, but there's also no way to know what that cost us. Ramirez may have been willing to offer us more money or even a favor in the future. He's a fragging Lone Star Captain, they tend to have a bit of stroke. I don't care what you do on your own time, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd stay sober for this job."

"With that said, I'm good with putting all of this behind us and moving on with our biz. We've got a few leads on which we need to follow up. The evidence we have here is valuable, but I'm not sure yet if there is a connection between the busts and the murders. It's certainly possible, but not certain yet. The revolvers definitely belong to members of the Los Magnifcos gang, so we have a bit of a lead on that one."

"The drugs are another matter. I actually read an article this morning in the Trib about an uptick in ODs in the Warrens over the past month. I think there's supposed to be a rally coming up about it at Horseshoe Park. Anyway, given that neither the police captain nor pretend junkie in the room recognized it, it's probably something new and may be related to the overdoses."

Turning to Grease, he continued, "Considering all of that and since Ramirez specifically asked for the evidence back, I'm going to have to come with you if you're going to see your contact. I can play a bodyguard well enough and I'm sure your gift of gab can put your contact at ease about my presence. No matter which way we go with this though, any testing needs to be non-destructive. We've got to give six pills back to Ramirez."

Turning his attention to Overkill, Jack said, "Some of these reports don't indicate witnesses, but that's not to say there weren't security cameras. The apartments down the road where the Predator V and drugs were found, for instance, might have recordings from the night of the murder. I don't know much about hacking, but do you think that's something you could do?"

Taking in everyone with a glance, the ork concludes, "We're a team now, so take everything I've said as suggestions. Let's hear yours..."
Chrome Head

Well, I feel like I can trust him, and that's all that matters, Amy thought. "It's all right Grease, thanks for being honest. This is behind us now as far as I'm concerned."

At Jack's suggestion, she feels like she should pitch in as well. "I agree that understanding what the pills are, who makes them or at least who distributes them can help us in understanding what's going on. We should also try to figure out who that Twoman guy is. Looking at these files, the other big lead is that 3 of the dead cops worked the same shift: Smuggling in Commerce City. If we find out who's smuggling what over there, we're probably getting close to who's behind all this. But first things first, what can we do tonight?"
Always Overkill
Overkill, Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:25 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave gives an amused expression after Grease's admission, "Well it was certainly an "unconventional" approach to the situation, but I am not sure if you should try the same tactic twice. Just to keep them off your trail."

He looks over at Jack regarded his request, "Show me the security cameras you want and I don't foresee any reason I wouldn't be able to hack them. The cameras in the Warrens are mostly safeguarded by very low-grade 'ware."

And then turns to Amy to answer her inquiry, "Well, we have a few options at this time in the Abend ; drug-dealers don't keep normal hours. In fact it is coming up to their "Primetime", it should not be difficult for us to reach one of Grease'
or Jacks contacts. Also, the nightclub where Officer Mitchell was gunned down is most definitely open, though getting in and out of the Hub at this time of night can sometimes be a challenge."

"There will no doubt be plenty of legwork on this job, and at times during the investigative process we may need to split up to cover more ground. But instead of just pairing off and going about, we should rotate teammates and perhaps
disguises to make us harder to identify as we proceed with our inquiries."
Jack VII

"That's a good point, Amy. Another thing is when and where they were geeked... some in the line of duty while others look like they were targeted. Ramirez said that some of them may have been a part of the conspiracy while others may have stumbled across it." Jack said. "But with the majority of the officers assigned to smuggling interdiction looking like they were targeted, it seems like there might be something important there."
Jack VII
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:30 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack pulled out his commlink and fiddled with it, checking over the Lone Star file and making a few notes. Pausing, he glances up and says, "The most recent murder was at a club called QXT in the Hub. We should probably hit them up sooner rather than later, befpre their memories start to fade." Jack paused noticeably, reflecting on his own memory loss. "Is everyone prepared to hop a flight to the Hub? We'll need to stash our weapons somewhere before we go. If anyone needs a lift, I've got a cab waiting outside."
Chrome Head
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:30 PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy is uncomfortable as she has to give away that she's never really traveled outside the UCAS zone in her entire life, apart from on the matrix but that doesn't really count. "A flight? I don't think they accept the SINless on those. I can't come along for that part of the investigation, sorry. I'll go talk to a few people who might be able to give me some info about the source of the new drug hitting the Warrens while you do that. Maybe I can find something useful. By the way, here's my [commlink number]."
Always Overkill
Overkill, Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:35 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave nodded as the crew began to plan their next steps. "Very well Meine Freunde, then let us depart these rather dismal surroundings and get on with our Business. My apartment is not far from here, and we can drop off whatever
equipment we would rather not explain to one of the border guards. From there we can head to the terminal and take the shuttle to the Hub."

He looks over at Amy with confidence in his expression, "Be careful, Amy. And if you get into any trouble, don't hesitate to use you comm. Give Chomsky my regards"

Seeing the groups approval of the plan, Drave leads the crew out of the Motel 6 to their vehicles and on their way.
Chrome Head
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:35 PM, July 29th, 2075

"Don't worry about me, you take care too. Oh and let me get those pills off of you so I can show them to my friend."

While in the car, Amy calls Chomsky and tells him to meet at Curtnick's at 10:00pm. The group drops her off at her building on their way north, and she takes the time to check on Kevin and Sam, telling them she doesn't know when she'll be around or not in the next few days.

Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 9:45 PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy makes it on foot to Curtnick's. She's been here several times and likes the place. It's low profile and the gangs stay away from it. She sits down in a corner quietly and orders a soycola with ice and a straw from Wendy. Waiting for Chomsky, she knows several men are staring at her but she doesn't avoid their gaze, showing strength and trying to say with her posture, "don't even think about bothering me".
Lobo0705
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 9:55 PM, July 29th, 2075

The bar is full tonight, the denizens of the Warrens looking for somewhere to find a drink to cool off. Amy manages to hold on to her table for two, a look from her enough to inform other bar patrons that the seat opposite her is taken.

About 10 minutes after she arrives, Chomsky walks in through the front door, dressed in a faded black t-shirt and shorts, he quickly spots her and comes to sit at the table.
He gives her a friendly kiss on the cheek, and then flags Wendy down, ordering a synth-beer. As Wendy walks away to get the drink, he plops down on the chair leans across, and says sotto voce, "So Amy, how's the job going?" With a grin, he leans back in his chair, awaiting her response.
Chrome Head
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 9:55 PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy smiles sincerely. "I'm doing just fine, you know. I bet I'll have a good story to tell when it's all over. And you, how's the organizing of a rally going? I didn't fully get it this morning so I wanted to talk to you about it, you're having a rally so that junkies stop OD'ing?" She was playing a little dumb there, but it's not like it was unusual for her not to understand an explanation, implicit or explicit.
Jack VII
Motel 6, 15000 E. Smoky Hill Road, Aurora, 8:45 PM, July 29th, 2075

"Sounds like a plan, let's roll. If we have enough wheels, I'm cancelling my cab."

Jack gathered up the boxes of evidence and headed out the door. Passing in front of the reception desk, he nodded at Jim and said, "The Smythes are checking out." Exiting the Motel, Jack spotted the taxi in which he arrived still in the parking lot. Somewhat surprised at this development, he approached the vehicle and knocked on the window. A cloud of acrid, heavy smoke billowed out of the descending window. Coughing, Jack said, "Thanks for hanging out. Here's the rest of your tip, I caught another ride." Slotting his credstick, Jack transferred 10 additional nuyen to the cabbie and walked back to the group.

Standing near Amy with the rest of the group shielding them from prying eyes, Jack fished out the bag of drugs and passed them to the young woman. "We're about to move through some really secure areas. It might be a good idea if you could hang onto these until we get back. They're probably our best lead at the moment. Good luck with your contacts."

As Overkill and Amy hopped on the man's motorcycle, Jack followed Grease to his car. The ork was a little surprised when the vehicle turned out to be a taxi. Makes for a pretty decent cover, I guess, the ork thought to himself as he climed inside. Gunning the engine a bit, Grease chuckled as he said, "You might want to hold on to something."

Denver International Airport, Local Air Taxi Terminal, 9:50 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack stood impatiently waiting for the line to move. The security checkpoint in the airport was fairly crowded, with a number of noisy young men and women ready to hit the Hub for a night of excitement. Smoothing the lapels on his suit jacket, the ork was ready to get to work. After a short stop at Overkill's apartment to drop off some of their more illegal gear, they had driven to the Air Taxi terminal. Jack opted to carry his Streetline Special holdout pistol, although he decided to leave the magazine of highly illegal APDS ammo at the apartment, leaving him with two magazines of regular ammunition. He had traveled armed several times to the Hub using his bodyguard alias. It was almost routine by this point, but Jack knew that complacency is what got one killed.

"Next!" the security guard called out and motioned Jack through the metal detector.

GEAR LIST
[ Spoiler ]
Lobo0705
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:00 PM, July 29th, 2075

"Well, not so much a rally to stop the junkies, my dear. Rather a rally to raise awareness on the situation in general." He takes a sip of his beer and grimaces a little. "If this many people died somewhere else in the UCAS Zone, we'd have had three different corporate and government agencies forming a task force to solve the problem. Since it happened in the Warrens, all we get is a bigger body count."

He watches One-eye escorting a particularly rowdy drunk out of the bar by an ear, depositing him on the street so he can cool off.

"I'm hoping that Shannon's organization can help us get a bigger platform from which to reach people."
Lobo0705
Denver International Airport, Local Air Taxi Terminal, 9:50 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack steps forward, placing his pistol, ammo, and Flash Pak in the container before the metal detector. Walking through, he transmits his SIN to the guard. The Templeton employee looks at his tablet for a moment, looks at Jack, and says, "Welcome to Templeton Air, Mr. Sanchez." He hands Jack an RFID tag, "Please present this to retrieve your belongings when you reach Union Station. Have a nice flight." With that, he waves the next person in line forward.

Jack pockets the tag, and joins the line to board the VTOL. Crossing the tarmac, he sees the Federated Boeing Commuter prepping for takeoff. He climbs aboard the brand new plane, finding a window seat and strapping in. The AR system in the plane is top notch, providing estimated takeoff and landing, route, potential destinations in the Hub, with many more options. The flight is too short for refreshments, but there are adverts aplenty popping up on his imagelink. A stewardess offers to rent a set of trodes to Jack so he can enjoy the AR as a full sensory experience for a mere 10 nuyen, but Jack declines, unwilling to add another distraction to the busy night. He looks around, waiting for Overkill and Grease to board, while images of drinks, food, girls and all the other entertainments the Hub offers keep appearing in his field of vision.
Chrome Head

"I see." Amy replies thoughtfully. "Do you or Shannon actually have an idea of why so many more people die than usual? Is there a new product on the street causing this?"
Lobo0705

"As I understand it, there is a new drug that has hit the Warrens in last couple of months. It is hard to get any, the supply seems to be very limited. I haven't seen it myself, but I understand it is called 'Crimson Fire' and is some strong stuff." Finishing his beer, he calls for another, looking to see if Amy would like another drink. Amy nods her head, and Jared orders another round.

"You know me, I'm not plugged into the drug scene, and I hate that so many of the people here seem to be in the drug trade as either users or pushers. This stuff seems to be remarkably lethal for something that has been around for such a short time."
Chrome Head
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:05 PM, July 29th, 2075

Amy decides to go for a synthbeer like him for the second round. "I'm with you. I've seen so many people, many friends too, fall prey to drugs or even to the drug business over the years." Amy says, bitterly recalling some faces she misses. "It's typical of Lone Star and politicians to turn a blind eye on a problem that afflicts almost only the Warrens though, sadly."

"So you seem to put a lot of hope into this Shannon to maybe get things to change. What's her deal? And how's she helping?"
Lobo0705

"Well, I think that in Shannon I've found someone beside myself who wasn't born into the Warrens who truly seems to have not only empathy for the struggle that people live through here, but a willingness to do something about it besides write a check once a year. She could have gone a very different route after school - joined Ares, or Yamatetsu, or Federated Boeing - and by now be well on her way to a six figure salary and the life that goes with it. Instead, she gave that all up and works for a non-profit, making a tenth of what she could earn, and spends most of her free time here."

He chuckles a little, takes another swig and says, "I don't have to tell you, of all people that the Warrens can be a dangerous place for a young, attractive woman. And yet she stays. So I guess it is that I admire that she has the courage of her convictions. As for how she is helping, its like she said earlier today. I flatter myself that I'm a fairly good orator, but I have a limited reach, and the people that I do reach are generally not in a position to effect change. Her organization brings exposure on a much bigger scale - perhaps large enough we can parley that into help for the people of the Warrens.

Chrome Head

Amy listens calmly and smiles, using a bit of her charm to keep Chomsky going, knowing that it works especially well when he gets a little tipsy. "You are damn good with words, Jared, and everyone likes you and trusts you. You've already helped us a lot by giving us hope, by giving us something to strive for. I can see why this opportunity matters so much to you, it could become significant. It could lead to real change."

"For now though, I'd just like to understand what the hell is going on. It really matters to me. Why so many people died, why no one pays the slightest attention. Did you know that cops were killed too, while junkies died in the streets? And a bunch of those cops who died had a post as smuggling control or had just busted gangers or confiscated pills the day before, things like that. There's something nasty going on there. I was wondering if you had any idea what that could be related to. Or if you'd know where to look to find out more about this?"

It was something of a long shot, but what the heck.
Always Overkill
Overkill, Denver International Airport, Local Air Taxi Terminal, 9:50 PM, July 29th, 2075

Drave followed behind as Jack lead the way, Grease trailing in the back. As they approached the Metal Detectors, Drave laid out his pistols, Cyberdeck, extra commlink, earbud, bug scanner, and asked for another tray from the guards to lay out
his heavy armored Trenchcoat. Drave is wearing the same thing he was wearing before. He wears dark shades, with the faint green glow visible behind them much like that of the stone age computers of the 1970-80s, along with a long black
leather trenchcoat, reinforced with exterior armor plates, black undershirt, and black leather pants and boots. The commlinks, scanners, etc., normally mounted to the tactical harness he wears under his coat are already laying before the guards.

After calmly waiting for the approval to pass, trusting the quality of his Fake SIN to get him and his invaluable possessions through. He had been using it for years and has always felt confident in it. The guard looked up uninterested and said,
"Enjoy your commute Mr. Kreig. You can retrieve your belongings upon arrival at Union Station."

Drave quietly nodded to the guard, "Danke," and continued toward the shuttle, checking behind him to be sure Grease got through.

[ Spoiler ]
Lobo0705
Amy, Curtnick's Bar, S Dunkirk and E Pacific, Aurora, 10:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

"Thank you Amy, that means a lot to me." He frowns for moment, a rare expression for him. "That no one from the outside is paying attention to the problems in the Warrens is no surprise, unfortunately. It is a terrible thing to say, but something we have to live with at the moment. The fact that Lone Star personnel are being killed is news to me, I'm afraid. As you might imagine, the people of the Warrens are none too friendly with Lone Star personnel - the few times we see them it is to harass them and roust them out of whatever poor home they can find here."

Finishing his drink, he says, "I sense there is more to this than idle curiousity, or even righteous indignation. Perhaps this job you spoke of has started? No, don't say anything, from my understanding these things are supposed to be kept secret, and I don't wish to pry. I wish I had the ability to help you more, as you've always been a help to me, but my connections don't run in the same circles as Lone Star personnel."

Lobo0705
Jack, Grease, and Overkill, Denver International Airport, Local Air Taxi Terminal, 10:00 PM, July 29th, 2075

Jack relaxes once Grease and Overkill come on board take their seats. The mandatory safety instructions flash out through AR to each passenger on the plane, and then the huge jump jets fire, pushing the Commuter up into the sky. The passengers are for the most part silent, engaged in planning their outing, or posting on social media. As the runners look out their windows, they are struck by the gaping black hole in the Denver skyline that is the Warrens. The rest of the city is lit up like a sun in neon lights, both real and virtual, while the Warrens looks like a black pit with an occasional dying flare.

Jack, Grease, and Overkill, Union Station, 10:06 PM, July 29th, 2075

The plane comes in for a landing next to Union Station, and the passengers stand to debark. The runners leave the plane one by one, picking up their belongings and turning in their RFID tags, and begin making their way to the street exit. Union Station looms over them, the hub for the monorail that travels through the city, and provides a gateway to the other Zones. The Zone Defense Force patrols here in force, and security to enter the railway station is extremely tight.

Jack, Grease and Overkill have a brief conversation amongst themselves, and decide to walk to the club as it is only a mile away. They head down 17th street, the towering skyscrapers on either side showing their parent companies. Federated Boeing, Evo, Saeder-Krupp, it goes on and on, not just the Megacorps, but a few of their smaller competitors as well. Corporate security gives them the once over as they pass, and drones roam the skies, zipping here and there on errands, or just general surveillance.

They turn on to Glenarm, and the neighborhood changes in just a few blocks. This where the party district starts, and young men and women of all metatypes roam from bar to club back to bar in search of a diversion, whether that be drugs, alcohol, or sex. Overkill fits in the best with this group, although his black clothing from head to toe makes him look like a raven amongst a flock of peacocks. Reaching 15th street, they turn the corner and see the front of QXTs. There are two bouncers, both large and imposing, one an ork, and another a human almost as large as his compatriot. There are about 50 people in line waiting to get in the door.
DrZaius
Union Station, Outside Club QXT, 10:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

The street has a low hum to it, the bass from the clubs creating a resonance wave that flows through the streets and out of the open doors to the clubs. Grease taps out a message to his contact as they walk up to the outside.

<<@Sling: Hey man, what's up? Don't get pissed- I'm not seeing another guy, but I came across this weird red one-shot. It looks corporate, like it was made in a real lab. Have you heard anything about that type of thing? I think it might have been from Montbello.>>

As he types and walks, he addresses Jack and Overkill.

"So, this is where Mitchell was ganked. He was on smuggling interdiction in commerce city. I think there's no chance we find someone who was here at the same time who was willing to talk, but the Bouncer was a witness as well, "Paul Candle". We should also try to run down the girl he was here with, Emily Sanders. She probably saw the whole thing too."

Looking at the line, Grease frowns. "Lines are for boring people. What's our play here? I could.." He pauses, "Grease the bouncer, but we don't even really need to get inside if he's working tonight. Do we have any other information on this Paul Candle guy? I'd prefer to walk up and talk to him like I know who he is, rather than asking him if he's seen himself."

turning to face the rest of the team, Grease asks, "So what's our play?"
Jack VII
UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

Looking the crowd over, Jack noted that he and Grease weren't likely to fit in, even if they wanted to go inside. Overkill, on the other hand, looked like he was dressed specifically to hang out here. Jack noted the line 50-people deep and checked against the information he had pulled up on the club. "Well, they just opened for biz, so this line may clear up shortly. Even then, if this Paul Candle is one of the guy's working the door, he probably isn't going to have time for us while he's on the clock. I think we have two possible plays. We can wait in line, identify Candle, and try to set up a meet after he gets off work or we could make a scene and involve ourselves in his biz. Grease, I'm pretty sure you could pull off a hopped up, drekhead corp sarariman out on the town. If we did that, we'd need some way to calm him down enough to talk to us."

"Either of those options is only going to take two people. Since Overkill is dressed the part, it might make sense for him to try and get inside and chat up Emliy Sanders, if she's here. Since this place isn't in the Warrens, it might actually have a surveillance system. Overkill could try and hack that and see if we can get footage from the shooting. It's only two days old, afterall." Jack finished up and looked to his companions for feedback.

GEAR LIST
[ Spoiler ]
DrZaius
UCAS Hub, Outside Club QXT, 10:10 PM, July 29th, 2075

Grease nods along with what Jack is saying. "Yes- I like the camera idea. Especially if it's got the bouncer on the same footage. That solves two problems at once."

Grease grins again. "I like your idea as using me as a distraction, but contrary to our previous meeting I try not to put myself at a disadvantage with everyone I want to interview. I think it'll be tough for me to ask Paul questions if he's throwing my butt out on the street. I don't know much, but I know how to read people; if I can get him one on one I can find out what he knows. If we figure out which he is, I can get him to talk to us."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012