Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Hazing - final statement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Irion
Another fine example of how unclear rulings can become if you just ignore some words, change the meanings of some words or read everything with an assumption nowhere to be found and of course on the other hand demand hard ruling that it can't be that way while ignoring the description...
Who would have thought of that... wobble.gif (Aside everybody...)
I mean on the last page alone there where around 2-3 reasons why it doesn't work...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2014, 06:45 AM) *
Ooh! Ooh! Now read off Astral Hazing again!
*Bounces*

I believe that you and I are in Agreement, Draco18s... Why are you bouncing off the walls? You tend to get a bit dizzy doing that I bet. wobble.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 6 2014, 09:02 AM) *
I believe that you and I are in Agreement, Draco18s

We are, not disputing that. smile.gif

... Why are you bouncing off the walls? You tend to get a bit dizzy doing that I bet. wobble.gif

Because I'm an excitable young dragon. Hopped up on too much caffeine.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2014, 07:52 AM) *
Because I'm an excitable young dragon. Hopped up on too much caffeine.

Caffeine is BAD for Dragons, you know. You should stop that...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 6 2014, 11:09 AM) *
Caffeine is BAD for Dragons, you know. You should stop that...

But it's sooo taasty.... ;_;
Stahlseele
The caffeine itself is pretty vile stuff actually . .
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 6 2014, 10:06 AM) *
The caffeine itself is pretty vile stuff actually . .

I have to agree with that. Even a little bit and I start developing Migraines.
Stahlseele
That depends. I was going for the taste.
Caffeine is a VERY bitter taste.
I can't operate propperly without at least a bit of it per day <.<;,
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 6 2014, 12:21 PM) *
That depends. I was going for the taste.
Caffeine is a VERY bitter taste.

I've never had it strait.

I can't operate propperly without at least a bit of it per day <.<;,

Meither.
Stahlseele
I had it straight. Once.
Even with puking from the taste i still could not get it out of my mouth for quite some time . .
And then my heart got the idea to run a marathon without telling me . .
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 6 2014, 10:44 AM) *
I had it straight. Once.
Even with puking from the taste i still could not get it out of my mouth for quite some time . .
And then my heart got the idea to run a marathon without telling me . .

Stimulants will do that to you.
toturi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 6 2014, 09:42 PM) *
Which , If I remember Correctly, it already does. eek.gif

May I have a quotation on that?

Because I remembered going through it once before and satisfied myself that it didn't. Or I could have misremembered, it happens. Hence I ask for a quote.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (toturi @ May 6 2014, 06:11 PM) *

Because I remembered going through it once before and satisfied myself that it didn't. Or I could have misremembered, it happens. Hence I ask for a quote.

He gave the quote in that same post, did he not?
toturi
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 7 2014, 10:21 AM) *
He gave the quote in that same post, did he not?

I had thought perhaps that there was mention of "ambient conditions" (per the wording of Astral Hazing) under the Geomancy's write up.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 6 2014, 09:51 PM) *
I had thought perhaps that there was mention of "ambient conditions" (per the wording of Astral Hazing) under the Geomancy's write up.

There is.

Go look at it in this post (I'm too laze to add the auto-snipped quote; use the handy link this one provides).

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 30 2014, 12:46 PM) *
By the way...

Last I checked, Astral Hazing wasn't "ambient."

Bam.

It's almost like no one's actually listening to my argument. I made it three pages ago. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ May 6 2014, 07:11 PM) *

Apparently you keep missing it, even when provided... Here it is, one more time.

QUOTE (Street Magic, Geomancy, Page 56)
This allows the gradual aspecting (p.118) of ambient background count towards the geomancer’s particular style of magic.

QUOTE (Runners Companion, Astral Hazing, Page 116)
Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count

As you can see, Astral Hazing DOES NOT CARE what the Ambient Mana Conditions are, the Astral Hazer ALWAYS stands at the center of a BGC of 4. And since Geomancy only affects Ambient Conditions, it cannot affect the Astral Hazer at all.
Neraph
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ May 5 2014, 08:41 AM) *
I believe that power sites are explained on page 120 of Street Magic. Also check pages 84 and 85 of Magic in the Shadows (SR3).

I'm not going to type it all, but I assure you, characters are neither manalines nor power sites.

Here's some information about Manalines and Power Sites.

How can geomancy (emphasis mine) be performed on something that is neither geographical nor geological?

Even if you think people can be manalines or power sites (like Stonehenge) and subject to geomancy, Dracos18s got it right. From an online list of Metagenetic Negative Qualities, Astral Hazing reads "Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count." (emphasis not mine)

All you did was confirm that characters can be Power Sites. A Power Site, defined by your link, is any (semi-)permanent source of BC... Which Astral Hazing is. Geomancy does not care about whether you're performing it on a geographical location - the rules sections only govern the change of aspect on Backround Count, which, yet again, Astral Hazing is.

QUOTE (Lurker37 @ May 5 2014, 11:10 PM) *
If I was GMing this:

In my mind, it's a fundamental question of game balance. In my games, a negative quality is a disadvantage proportionate to the points value until such time as you pay it off.

I think the key point for me is that before the character can turn the disadvantage into an asset, I would insist that they not only pay off the negative quality (at the normal post-chargen double cost), but also pay for the positive quality they will end up getting (again at double cost).

No matter what they tried, I as GM would tell them "Nope. Didn't work. You're not sure why." until they paid the karma.

So, despite that it is RAW, despite the in-game time taken, and resources devoted to it, you'd still disallow it because "negative should mean negative." Do your players still have passive streams of income when they take Day Job? I'd like to see some consistency then and have you say that their character cannot gain any nuyen from that Negative Quality, as the quality itself is negative and shouldn't be able to be used to gain a benefit from it.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 6 2014, 07:42 AM) *
Which , If I remember Correctly, it already does. eek.gif

By definition, a character with Astral Hazing, since he is always in the heart of BC4, BC4 is ambient ("of or relating to the immediate surroundings of something") in relation to him.

QUOTE (Irion @ May 6 2014, 07:49 AM) *
Another fine example of how unclear rulings can become if you just ignore some words, change the meanings of some words or read everything with an assumption nowhere to be found and of course on the other hand demand hard ruling that it can't be that way while ignoring the description...
Who would have thought of that... wobble.gif (Aside everybody...)
I mean on the last page alone there where around 2-3 reasons why it doesn't work...

No there weren't any. I've addressed them all.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 7 2014, 06:58 AM) *
As you can see... the Astral Hazer ALWAYS stands at the center of a BGC of 4.

Thank you for defining "ambient" in your own words.

EDIT: For sense.

Another way to think of it is this: the AH provides his own ambience. We know that BC doesn't stack, only the highest applies, so this is simply another way of reminding you that his BC is overriding the common BC=0.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 7 2014, 09:04 AM) *
Another way to think of it is this: the AH provides his own ambience. We know that BC doesn't stack, only the highest applies, so this is simply another way of reminding you that his BC is overriding the common BC=0.

Ironically, specific trumps general, an Astrally Hazed person on the moon would still stand in a R4 BC.

By definition, a character with Astral Hazing, since he is always in the heart of BC4, BC4 is ambient ("of or relating to the immediate surroundings of something") in relation to him.

You forgot to look at the example:

ambient:
1. of or relating to the immediate surroundings of something.
"the liquid is stored at below ambient temperature"

The "of something" in this sentence, is "the liquid." The ambient temperature in this case isn't caused by the liquid, but rather measured locally relative to the liquid. Moving "the liquid" to a different place results in different ambient conditions relative to the location of the liquid, but again, it's not caused by the liquid!
toturi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 7 2014, 08:58 PM) *
As you can see, Astral Hazing DOES NOT CARE what the Ambient Mana Conditions are, the Astral Hazer ALWAYS stands at the center of a BGC of 4. And since Geomancy only affects Ambient Conditions, it cannot affect the Astral Hazer at all.

The quote about Geomancy states how it affects ambient conditions, but it does not follow that Geomancy only affects ambient background count.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 7 2014, 10:03 AM) *
The quote about Geomancy states how it affects ambient conditions, but it does not follow that Geomancy only affects ambient background count.

This allows the gradual aspecting (p.118) of ambient background count towards the geomancer’s particular style of magic.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 7 2014, 07:04 AM) *
Thank you for defining "ambient" in your own words.

EDIT: For sense.

No, what I stated was the NO MATTER the ambient conditions around him (ie, your Geomancing), it DOES NOT MATTER because the Astral Hazing overrides it. No matter what you do to try and change it, it does not take, because the AH continually overrides whatever it is you are trying to do.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 7 2014, 10:04 AM) *
All you did was confirm that characters can be Power Sites. A Power Site, defined by your link, is any (semi-)permanent source of BC... Which Astral Hazing is. Geomancy does not care about whether you're performing it on a geographical location - the rules sections only govern the change of aspect on Backround Count, which, yet again, Astral Hazing is.

I did not confirm any such thing and the link does not define a power site in that way. The rules talk about aspecting a manaline or power site.
toturi
@Draco18s - Yes, so the Geomancy aspects the ambient mana condition gradually towards the geomancer's style of magic.
Irion
QUOTE ("toturi")
OK, then the argument should then rightly follow with a RAW definition of Geomancy, namely it should specifically state that it alters only ambient conditions.

QUOTE ("toturi")
Yes, so the Geomancy aspects the ambient mana condition gradually towards the geomancer's style of magic.

And there is proof out of your own mouth.
So gemonacy does not affect astral hazing.
Praise and glory to Draco18s the dragon who brought us mere humans the light of logic and reason from the heavens.
If Goethe would still be alive, he would write a poem about him, I guess.

Honestly, it is hilarious through, that people are going through great lengths to argue for the legality of something to make their character stronger.
If they have to abandon reason, logic and facts altogether they do it without even a flinch, for a fictional game.
I guess I should not be surprised, that people do it in reality, too. The differance beeing, the laws of nature can't be broken.
toturi
QUOTE (Irion @ May 8 2014, 04:26 PM) *
And there is proof out of your own mouth.
So gemonacy does not affect astral hazing.

If that line was the only line in the description of Geomancy, I would be inclined to agree. However, it is not the only line describing Geomancy.

That line shows the speed at which the Geomancy affects the ambient mana conditions. It does not preclude Geomancy from affecting Astral Hazing. It shows that Geomancy does not affect Astral Hazing in the described manner.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 7 2014, 11:21 PM) *
@Draco18s - Yes, so the Geomancy aspects the ambient mana condition gradually towards the geomancer's style of magic.

*cough*
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 7 2014, 08:21 AM) *
You forgot to look at the example:

ambient:
1. of or relating to the immediate surroundings of something.
"the liquid is stored at below ambient temperature"

The "of something" in this sentence, is "the liquid." The ambient temperature in this case isn't caused by the liquid, but rather measured locally relative to the liquid. Moving "the liquid" to a different place results in different ambient conditions relative to the location of the liquid, but again, it's not caused by the liquid!

No, the liquid is a small container and they were specifically mentioning the ambient tempurature of the room, not the subject of the sentence. Make it a pool. Pools have ambient tempuratures of their own.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 7 2014, 10:18 AM) *
No, what I stated was the NO MATTER the ambient conditions around him (ie, your Geomancing), it DOES NOT MATTER because the Astral Hazing overrides it. No matter what you do to try and change it, it does not take, because the AH continually overrides whatever it is you are trying to do.

... No it doesn't. How do you even come to that conclusion? The AH constantly overrides the BC of the location it is in, but it does not constantly try to override any attempts to alter it - if it did you would likewise be unable to Filter or Cleanse it.

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ May 7 2014, 02:07 PM) *
I did not confirm any such thing and the link does not define a power site in that way. The rules talk about aspecting a manaline or power site.

Did you simply fail to read what you posted? Your link, first paragraph, second sentence, part B: " ...power sites, [which are] spots of concentrated magical energy," (edited for clarity). A power site is defined by your link as a spot where magical energy is concentrated... like a character with Astral Hazing, where BC is constantly pooled around him.

QUOTE (Irion @ May 8 2014, 02:26 AM) *
Honestly, it is hilarious through, that people are going through great lengths to argue for the legality of something to make their character stronger.
If they have to abandon reason, logic and facts altogether they do it without even a flinch, for a fictional game.
I guess I should not be surprised, that people do it in reality, too. The differance beeing, the laws of nature can't be broken.

My arguments have no such flaw.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 8 2014, 06:51 AM) *
*cough*

*cough cough* <Astral Hazing is, by definition, ambient> *cough*

I should get that cough looked at...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 8 2014, 07:32 AM) *
... No it doesn't. How do you even come to that conclusion? The AH constantly overrides the BC of the location it is in, but it does not constantly try to override any attempts to alter it - if it did you would likewise be unable to Filter or Cleanse it.

And that is exactly how we run it. It is unalterable by any metamagic in our games, though I could maybe see filtering potentially reducing it to zero (though we don't actually allow that) with enough initiation grades to back it up. Yes, IT CONSTANTLY OVERRIDES Ambient conditions, and Geomancy changes Ambient conditions. Since the AH constantly overrides that, Geomancy does not work. Glad you agree, by your own admission. *shrug*
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 8 2014, 08:32 AM) *
*cough cough* <Astral Hazing is, by definition, ambient> *cough*

The AH constantly overrides the BC of the location it is in

Astral Hazing, by overriding ambient, is not ambient. By definition.
toturi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 8 2014, 08:51 PM) *
*cough*

You seem to have caught a cold.

Geomancy aspects the ambient mana condition gradually towards the geomancer's style of magic.

How does Geomancy aspect the ambient mana condition towards the geomancer's style of magic? Gradually.

Does this statement say that Geomancy only affects ambient mana conditions? No.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 10:13 AM) *

Does that mean it affects non-ambient conditions quickly?
toturi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 8 2014, 11:14 PM) *
Does that mean it affects non-ambient conditions quickly?

That statement does not say that either. We simply do not know how until we look at the anteceding paragraph.
Draco18s
There are lots of things the rules don't say. That doesn't mean that those things work.

QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 10:18 AM) *
That statement does not say that either. We simply do not know how until we look at the anteceding paragraph.

Can't embed images

Welp.

I guess that takes care of that.
Irion
QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Yes, it does. By that logic you are using it could also summon a chocolat bunny, create a realm of hookers and balckjack, or whatever comes to mind. Does it say it won't do any of that? Well, no.
Rules tell you what stuff does. They do not tell you what stuff can't do. Limited amount of space you know...
Sendaz
But if you do find a Metamagic for creating a realm of hookers and blackjack do let us know. biggrin.gif

I can currently get one or the other, but together it keeps overstressing the etheric weave of the mini-realm and collapsing.

More research required. wink.gif
Shemhazai
Did you simply fail to read what you posted? Your link, first paragraph, second sentence, part B: " ...power sites, [which are] spots of concentrated magical energy," (edited for clarity). A power site is defined by your link as a spot where magical energy is concentrated... like a character with Astral Hazing, where BC is constantly pooled around him.

You are the one saying that this is like a character with Astral Hazing, not the source. I don't believe any reputable source in all of Shadowrun says that a metahuman can be a power site.
toturi
QUOTE (Irion @ May 9 2014, 12:21 AM) *
Yes, it does. By that logic you are using it could also summon a chocolat bunny, create a realm of hookers and balckjack, or whatever comes to mind. Does it say it won't do any of that? Well, no.
Rules tell you what stuff does. They do not tell you what stuff can't do. Limited amount of space you know...

QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 07:52 PM) *
If that line was the only line in the description of Geomancy, I would be inclined to agree. However, it is not the only line describing Geomancy.

That line shows the speed at which the Geomancy affects the ambient mana conditions. It does not preclude Geomancy from affecting Astral Hazing. It shows that Geomancy does not affect Astral Hazing in the described manner.

As I have said before, I would agree with you if that single statement was all that was describing Geomancy. But it is not the entirety of the description of Geomancy.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 10:07 PM) *
As I have said before, I would agree with you if that single statement was all that was describing Geomancy. But it is not the entirety of the description of Geomancy.

Oh you mean like this part?

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 8 2014, 10:19 AM) *
toturi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 9 2014, 11:14 AM) *
Oh you mean like this part?

I can't read that. The image size is too small and when I zoom in, the resolution goes to the toilet.

I can barely make out "What" and "How". But if you are copying from the book, then yes indeed, it does take care of that. Because the other paragraphs do specify how background count is affected.
Manunancy
eomancy's descrption is fairly clear that geomancy applies to locations - and a cyberzombie isn't a location - so there's simply no way for a cyberzombie to alter his astral hazing using it (or having it cleaned by someone else). Even if it could, there's the little problem that geomancy alters the backrgound count on a monthly basis, where hazing trashes it on an hourly basis.

Sort of like trying to use toxin-sucking plants to clean up right at the chemical plant's sewer outlet. As long as the plant's running, there's no way it will work.
Draco18s
QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2014, 10:33 PM) *
Because the other paragraphs do specify how background count is affected.

I don't know why the image goes to shit for you, but this is the highlighted bit of text.

To use geomancy to imprint the ambient mana flow, follow the rules for Ritual Spellcasting

There aren't rules for non-ambient mana. wobble.gif

None of the remaining paragraphs reference background count except by referring back to the same background count mentioned here ("the background count", etc)
toturi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 9 2014, 08:08 PM) *
I don't know why the image goes to shit for you, but this is the highlighted bit of text.

There aren't rules for non-ambient mana. wobble.gif

None of the remaining paragraphs reference background count except by referring back to the same background count mentioned here ("the background count", etc)

And finally we do get to the correct paragraph and sentence that shows that the rules in Geomancy are for ambient mana without reference to any generic Background Count.
Irion
@toturi
And finally we do get to the correct paragraph and sentence that shows that the rules in Geomancy are for ambient mana without reference to any generic Background Count.

And?
The only affect the ambient Backgroundcount of sites. A person with hastral hazing is not a site and the backgroundcount of astral hazing is not described as ambient. So it does not work on astral hazing.
toturi
QUOTE (Irion @ May 10 2014, 03:17 PM) *
And?
The only affect the ambient Backgroundcount of sites. A person with hastral hazing is not a site and the backgroundcount of astral hazing is not described as ambient. So it does not work on astral hazing.

Again, please back your assertion with the correct quotes. If you can.
Draco18s
I am pretty certain you're both on the same side at this point.

If you're not, you're going to have to clarify your positions.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ May 10 2014, 06:05 AM) *
Again, please back your assertion with the correct quotes. If you can.

Forcing people to play Quote Roulette to satisfy some whim of yours is just petty. You know what is being said, and you know the Quotes exist. Why is this still an argument?
toturi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 10 2014, 11:38 PM) *
Forcing people to play Quote Roulette to satisfy some whim of yours is just petty. You know what is being said, and you know the Quotes exist. Why is this still an argument?

Because I have no idea how he is arriving at the conclusion. Why and how is a person with Astral Hazing not a power site?
What is the definition of a "power site" in SR?
Particularly powerful permanent domains are colloquially know in the Sixth World as power sites or mana nexi.

Therefore then is a person with Astral Hazing not a "particularly powerful permanent domain"?
I am not certain how powerful the domain has to be to be considered "particularly powerful" but I do know that a person with Astral Hazing "becomes an aspected domain in her own right". Is the person then not "permanent"?
As far as I can see there can be 2 lines of argument against the person being a power site and both have nothing to do with geological or geographical reasons because the definition of a power site does not appear to include such.
The first is that the domain is not powerful enough. The second is that it is not "permanent". Since people have come to the conclusion that Geomancy is not applicable to a person with Astral Hazing, then I would like to know how they come to such a conclusion, particularly how they are defining "powerful" and/or "permanent" and the RAW basis of each (if any).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ May 10 2014, 10:20 AM) *
Because I have no idea how he is arriving at the conclusion. Why and how is a person with Astral Hazing not a power site?

Once again - A PERSON is NOT a LOCATION. An Astral Hazer is a POWER SOURCE not a SITE. Gained by basic English Skills, no need for a quote. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2014, 12:21 AM) *
Once again - A PERSON is NOT a LOCATION. An Astral Hazer is a POWER SOURCE not a SITE. Gained by basic English Skills, no need for a quote. smile.gif

Again my above quote about power sites show that such power sites are not defined in SR as geographical locations. If you have a quote that show that a power site has to be a geographical location and only a geographical location, then please show it. An Astral Hazer is a domain and a power site is a domain, therefore a Astral Hazer may well be a power site.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ May 10 2014, 10:38 AM) *
Again my above quote about power sites show that such power sites are not defined in SR as geographical locations. If you have a quote that show that a power site has to be a geographical location and only a geographical location, then please show it. An Astral Hazer is a domain and a power site is a domain, therefore a Astral Hazer may well be a power site.

Power Gamer Clap Trap as far as I am concerned. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012