Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumpshock... What happened?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Moirdryd
I'm posting this as something of a nostalgic look at the mid 3rd Edition time when I first joined DS, also as a response to a few themes in topics I've both participated in and others I've read.

I recall there be several lengthy discussions and even arguments abd flame wars back in the day, but it seemed predominantly when someone posted...
"What do you think of X rule?"
"I'm having problems with Y"
"Z character concept; need advice"
The responses would be varied, you'd get a number of bits of advice, several opinions and some suggestions to help (along with side conversations). Now it seems increasingly that two or three bits of advice get given and then it turns in to an argument about how any one of them are in fact "Wrong" and some are more "Wrong" than others with the truth being that they're not wrong at all. Any of them. Is just different uses.

We also seemed to be happy to provide game examples along with the suggestions, showing how things had worked out with one group or another and giving some insight into in play usage. Now it seems likes it's Math Hammer or RAW vs RAI and how both are Wrong. Any examples are almost automatically derided instead of provoking further examples from the tables (which gave us such a rich pool of wisdom to draw from in SR3).

When did this happen? And how? The main Shadowrun forums are usually far more helpful to people and include more options and points of view (as well as discussions of how to implement one or the other as well as a few about which works 'better' for a given conceptualisation). There are a few threads on here that manage to have debate and argument without it being "I'm right, your wrong" but they feel fewer and further between.

Or is this just me? Am I seeing something that others don't feel is a thing?
DrZaius
I agree.

I think it comes down to moderation. Right or wrong, the Mods on DS give the posters a freer hand. You can call that censorship of the official boards, or enablement of trolls here. Either way, the result is that this community has grown more and more caustic over the years. I don't really enter into threads on DS expecting to be pleased I started arguing over something. For the most part, I end up regretting I waded in. I imagine others have similar feelings. As more and more people have regrets about wasting their time arguing, they frequent the board less. I have no idea on traffic numbers here, but I can't imagine they've gone up that much over the years. So what remains are the same people who post a ton, complain a lot, and generally have free time to craft a long argument about why their point is correct, and you are a communist.

As to what to do about it- I just ignore it, for the most part. I very rarely weigh in anymore, and keep most of my posts to "Welcome to the Shadows". I have interest in the game and the hobby, and appreciate that freelancers have the ability and desire to post here, but I stopped looking for constructive discussions around the time of the Great Awakening.

-DrZ
Cain
Part of that is the fallout from the Edition wars. 4e really divided the community, like no other edition before. Several members left and founded their own forums, most of which are dead: Bulldrek, AnimalBall, and SR3R, off the top of my head. Those all drew people away from Dumpshock.

Another thing is politics. Dumpshock, originally known as the Deep Resonance, is the oldest Shadowrun forum out there. The old ShadowRN mailing list gave rise to this board, and for a long time, freelancers and game designers came here to see how the fans were doing. When the edition wars came to a head, CGL implemented the Shadowrun forums to try and steal traffic from Dumpshock. Now, freelancers and developers were encouraged to hang out there, instead of here.

So, since a lot of the yes men traffic went to those forums, the ones who stayed here were the rebels and old timers. With fewer dissenting voices, the complaining became more pronounced. Some people tried coexisting on both, but I found the party line ideology of the official forums to be too much. Others felt the negativity on Dumpshock was too much, and left for the official forums.

So, you have to consider the board culture. Here, you'll find the dissenting voices-- people who don't like the way the game is going. However, this also means you'll find people who are better at finding and demonstrating serious system flaws. Over there, they expect you to sing the CGL chorus; there's less dissent and negativity, but also less serious examination of the game's flaws.
Critias
We're not "encouraged" to hang out anywhere, except by the population of the various forums that are our options.
Bull
Actually, Bulldrek wasn't a 4th edition related thing at all. In fact, the majority of Bulldrek's existence was through 3rd edition. By the time 4th ed came out, it had largely run it's course (mostly due to the main members all having gotten older and either matured or just gotten busy with their lives). Bulldrek (and later AnimalBall) were mostly a response to us ditching the Off Topic board (Which was my sub-forum, and hence "Bulldrek") here back in like '99.

As for "encouragement", there's no encouragement from CGL management to avoid Dumpshock or use the Official Forums. We have plenty of freelancers who don't go to either, and a bunch who go to both. If anything, I'd say it's the rather caustic opinions and attitudes of a very small (but vocal) segment of the Dumpshock posters that encourage us to stay away. I'm not certain why, since it's always fun to be belittled and berated for things that we have no control over, but, ya know... wink.gif
Cain
You're right about the timing of Bulldrek and Animalball, I misremembered.

However, Dumpshock was, for a long time, the biggest Shadowrun site on the web. Heck, for a long time Shadowrun.com didn't actually link to a real site, it was just a placeholder. So, if you wanted information on Shadowrun, this was the place to go.

With the resurrection of the website and the new forums, many people here thought it was a grab. The dissenters here were being very vocal, I'll admit; but some of us thought the forums were a deliberate attempt to draw attention away from the system flaws, control the information about the game, and ignore the complaints. I don't spend much time on the official forums-- I concede that they're much stricter on who says what, but that's part of the problem some people predicted. It's a pleasant enough place, in the sense that singing "Everything is Awesome!" all day long is technically pleasant.
sk8bcn
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 12 2014, 08:19 AM) *
If anything, I'd say it's the rather caustic opinions and attitudes of a very small (but vocal) segment of the Dumpshock posters that encourage us to stay away. I'm not certain why, since it's always fun to be belittled and berated for things that we have no control over, but, ya know... wink.gif

It's exactely what I think and what's the negative point in Dumpshock. It's too negative to be honest. CLG sucks, that rule makes that game unplayable, I've never seen an editing so bad, and so on with an occasionnal "yeah, that was maybe ok".

What I love on DS is level of knowledge of the game (story and rulewise). What I don't like is the global negative attitude (grumpys?).

And to be honest, I would have taken a look on the official forum if it wasn't blocked ay by job.
binarywraith
As a counterpoint, what do you want to hear? We don't write the game, and get hostile reactions for pointing out errors in the published materials that even the freelancers who post here note were straight-up errors. CGL can't even be bothered to errata most of the obvious ones without months of both the fan community and the freelancers poking at them to do so.

It breeds a negative viewpoint when you love a thing and the people who have responsibility for producing, curating, and expanding it don't appear to care about it beyond getting sales numbers out of the next half-baked, unedited .pdf release.
Cain
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 11 2014, 11:19 PM) *
As for "encouragement", there's no encouragement from CGL management to avoid Dumpshock or use the Official Forums. We have plenty of freelancers who don't go to either, and a bunch who go to both. If anything, I'd say it's the rather caustic opinions and attitudes of a very small (but vocal) segment of the Dumpshock posters that encourage us to stay away. I'm not certain why, since it's always fun to be belittled and berated for things that we have no control over, but, ya know... wink.gif

Well, here's the thing. First of all, Dumpshock is where actual news about Shadowrun comes out. The freelancer scandal first broke here, the proofreaders got together and noticed a bunch of errors they'd fixed here, all sorts of things. The Coleman embezzlement thing came out here, too. After all the negative press CGL got from those, it felt like they were trying to pull attention away from their mistakes, and open an "advertorial" channel.

Second, Dumpshockers have gotten results. If you wanted to know where the weaknesses were in a given system of Shadowrun, you came here. Other line developers came here-- Mike Mulvihill came her on occasion, Tom Dowd used to have an account, and Peter Taylor aka Synner was a long time member here. He and I never saw eye to eye, but I do respect his passion for Shadowrun. Anyway, frequently the first place that would find holes in the system was Dumpshock, and smart developers learned to listen to our complaints and fix the problems we brought up.

There were a few beforehand, but 4e was the biggest pile of them. Teamwork test abuses were first mentioned here, and Synner listened and applied a fix. Same with the Agent Smith army. In fact, the errata document compiled here is more complete than the 5e one, and it looks like they may have referenced it when making their version. Even some of my pet peeves made it in: I was the first person to suggest a fixed dice pool cap, specifically at 20. Missions borrowed my rule, which made sense, since the Missions coordinator comes here frequently and probably read it many times in my tirades. nyahnyah.gif

For better or worse, Dumpshock is the place for rabid, die-hard Shadowrun fans. And as a vocal part of the fan base, Dumpshockers are worth listening to. If we can't find a hole in the system, neither can anyone else, which means you're as close to bulletproof as possible. That;s why Wizards encourages the charop forums, they like to see what tricks players can come up with, and fix them if they get out of control. The CGL forums feel too party line for this sort of thing, which may be why the bigger rules breakages come from here.
Bertramn
There generally are not a lot of posts here from what I can see,
was that different in the past?

I kind of see the relation between Dumpshock and Shadowrun.com in a similar way,
as the relation between a tech-enthusiast-gearhead-forum, and Apple.com, if the latter had a forum.
Stahlseele
Oh yes, in the SR3 time still you could have trouble finding a started topic because it had vanished from the first page of the board come next day . .
And yes, the only people better at finding holes in the SR rules system and fluff than the people of dumpshock are not here anymore.
Medicineman
And yes, the only people better at finding holes in the SR rules system and fluff than the people of dumpshock are not here anymore.

but they aren't in the Gaming Den either wink.gif

He who dances in many a Forum
Medicineman
Stahlseele
Oh yes they are.
There are not many that can keep up with thinking things through to the logical extreme like Frank and i don't think there is anybody out there at all that knows the fluff/universe as good as Bobby.
These two are the biggest losses the SR writing ever had.
One made working rules and one made working fluff.
The other freelancers were good people, but these two working in concert could have done so much more.
Medicineman
but they're so full of bitter Hatred for CGL (or somebody at CGL) that I doubt that they could ever again produce something good for Shadowrun.
Their hatred tainted their Minds (ImO) so they're not able to objectively criticise any Work that's been done lately.
they don't only find Holes in SR5 Rules ImO they see holes that aren't there at all.
and thus they're not qualified (IMO) to judge any of the Work of CGL
What does Taylor Swift sing ? :
Haters gonna hate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
0: 44
(But it's a fun Video to watch anyway)

Me, I'm gonna Dance
Medicineman
Stahlseele
Yeah, Bobby and Frank pretty much said they would not work on SR anymore ever. At least not as long as CGL with the current people are in control.
And no, they also find existing holes and think things through to the logical extreme such as if you can have a DNI without needing to drill holes, then you can have a DNI from further away if you amp up the power and aim it at the right places . .
Moirdryd
In response to BinaryWraith:
I'd love to see more of what we used to have. Alternative viewpoints being considered valid instead of Argument fodder (okay,they'd still be argument fodder) but more discussion on How To instead of How It's Wrong. Yeah CGL seems to be stumbling more than a little with the SR line (which given how solid the Battletech stuff still is is a real kicker, I love both universes), but I saw several people posit House Rules, Logical Fixes and an array of other things when SR5 first hit but they seemed to get swept away quickly in the negativity wave. Instead of people both seeing a flaw and offering an alternative, we just have "This is WRONG!" with no fix and almost any adjustment or otherwise being shouted down. I think the only recent conversation that took place here that was anything like the way we used to treat things was the Force Summoning limit one.

I Like SR3, I didn't like SR4 (but I enjoyed some of the fiction), I like the possibilities of SR5 but I have put together several pages of my own fixes to things or adjustments to things and I'm adding more as I go back through things (like breaking down the UMS back into Tradition Focused Magic Systems). But I wonder how many people just don't post now because of negative backlash instead of constructive discourse?
sk8bcn
I find that there's some negative backlash too, and it's not that friendly sometimes.

However, I struggle at contributing on SR 4 or 5 threads personnaly, because I haven't move on those yet thuse, I can't help.

It doesn't help on activity, opinion or advising. It's a factor you have to take in account.

Say you wanna discuss a fix for rule X for SR5.

People playing SR3 or 4 don't have the will to help out, finding a solution. Well, but critize is easier. It makes it negative, I guess.
hermit
I saw several people posit House Rules, Logical Fixes and an array of other things when SR5 first hit but they seemed to get swept away quickly in the negativity wave.

More than a bit of negativity came from a few authors being colossally dickish about criticism of their writing. You know who I'm talking about.
Bertramn
By the way, am I imagining the divide after the edition wars to be as big as it is?
At the moment I do not perceive the current Shadowrun-community to be anywhere near as enthusiastically constructive as it was when I startet,
which was around the beginnings of fourth edition.
The people who got me into Shadowrun were third edition players though,
even though I did not know the rules back then.

I was not around when the fourth edition of D&D hit,
but did their edition war hit anywhere near the divide in players percentage-wise?
I think D&D-Players moved on to Pathfinder instead of remaining in 3.5,
but I could be wrong about that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bertramn @ Dec 12 2014, 09:04 AM) *
By the way, am I imagining the divide after the edition wars to be as big as it is?
At the moment I do not perceive the current Shadowrun-community to be anywhere near as enthusiastically constructive as it was when I startet,
which was around the beginnings of fourth edition.
The people who got me into Shadowrun were third edition players though,
even though I did not know the rules back then.

I was not around when the fourth edition of D&D hit,
but did their edition war hit anywhere near the divide in players percentage-wise?
I think D&D-Players moved on to Pathfinder instead of remaining in 3.5,
but I could be wrong about that.

Not sure about the divide amongst Shadowrun players as a whole. I know that I far prefer SR4A over any other option. Our group is a bit divided. Our primary GM runs SR5, while the Backup GM runs SR4A. smile.gif

As for DnD, I stuck with 3.5 rather than go to another system. Gives me what I want, and I have most, if not all, of the books so I saw no need to buy into a completely new system, even if they were close. If we are playing Fantasy it is some variation of DnD 3.5. smile.gif
sk8bcn
I don't think it's that big.

Contrary to what is beeing said here, I'm absolutely certain that SR is still a big locomotive of RPG. SR5 sold well, side products (cards) are done, video games comes out.

I consider that SR3 irreductibles are like ADD irreductibles.

And, atm, there's too few SR5 products to push SR4-players on it.

On DS, there's many old-timers, and hard-core fans. It emphazises editions wars.

Say here: "SR3 was unplayable. SR4 is way superior." and you'll have an infinite argument about both systems.

Ask a non-fan, and he'd welcome 4th a lot -4th is easier- (PLEASE: do not argue about the systems, this is not my opinion about edition, but a thing I've checked when talking to a sample of non-die hard fans).

Critias
QUOTE (Cain @ Dec 12 2014, 02:25 AM) *
With the resurrection of the website and the new forums, many people here thought it was a grab. The dissenters here were being very vocal, I'll admit; but some of us thought the forums were a deliberate attempt to draw attention away from the system flaws, control the information about the game, and ignore the complaints.

The thing -- the thing about you that you just can't get, or won't admit to, or refuse to wrap your head around -- the thing is, Cain, that you think something is so, doesn't make it so. You just attributed entirely uncharitable motives to the devs/freelancers, and when corrected you didn't retract your comment, you doubled down on it. This, right here, is what I meant when I said it's the community of a forum that encourages (or rather, discourages) us from posting there.

That sums up your entire online persona right there. You think a thing is so, so you carve it in stone and you spread it like it's the ten fucking commandments. That's you. That's you, right there, in a nutshell. Once you make up your mind that something is true, there's no dissuading you, no disagreeing with you, and no shutting you up about it. Ever. About anything. I've never seen someone the same mixture of "pedantic" and "wrong a lot," in my entire life. Even -- especially! -- when you get called on saying something that isn't true, you just bull forward with it, like you just did. Two different freelancers/devs said you were incorrect about something, and what do you do? You just keep saying it, because it's what you thought.

Tell me...do you think that's a good character trait, or a really frustrating one?

I don't spend much time on the official forums-- I concede that they're much stricter on who says what, but that's part of the problem some people predicted. It's a pleasant enough place, in the sense that singing "Everything is Awesome!" all day long is technically pleasant.

You're right about one thing; you don't spend much time on the official forums.
Sengir
Human nature happened, we tend to be biased towards people (and anything else) who agree with us, so people naturally find a community where most people agree with their basic premises better. Not just more likeable, but also more factual, better informed...

Of course, there are some factors which accelerate such a natural process.
Moirdryd
Wow... Critias, cool down chummer.
I know Cain's often immobile standpoint can make for a frustrating time in debate (just look at the Corp SIN thread with mine and his back and forth) and I certainly don't see much Yes Man attitude on the official boards (there is some, but there's always some). In fact I find (as stated) the official board to be more welcoming of offering debate and alternate ways to present parts of the setting and/or game mechanics. But let's not go down this road, especially as it's one of the things that is generally agreed from the last few hours of posts that is less good about DS these days.
Moirdryd
Well Linked Sengir, Well Linked.
hermit
Not being active there myself, what is traffic on the official forums like?
DeathStrobe
I think the Aetherology & London Calling topic is a great example of why I don't come to Dumpshock that often or comment that much. Every topic is the same shit. "CGL sucks", "5th ed sucks, this seemingly irrelevant circumstantial evidence proves it", "everything is so poorly edited its unplayable", "blah blah blah"

People don't even talk about the damn content or world anymore, it's just a place to vent how much you don't like Shadowrun now and why you don't buy pdfs/books.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Dec 12 2014, 03:57 PM) *
I think the Aetherology & London Calling topic is a great example of why I don't come to Dumpshock that often or comment that much. Every topic is the same shit. "CGL sucks", "5th ed sucks, this seemingly irrelevant circumstantial evidence proves it", "everything is so poorly edited its unplayable", "blah blah blah"

People don't even talk about the damn content or world anymore, it's just a place to vent how much you don't like Shadowrun now and why you don't buy pdfs/books.

Is it that bad? I will have to look at it again. I caught its initial posting, but there were not that many posts in it.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Dec 12 2014, 08:17 AM) *
In response to BinaryWraith:
I'd love to see more of what we used to have. Alternative viewpoints being considered valid instead of Argument fodder (okay,they'd still be argument fodder) but more discussion on How To instead of How It's Wrong. Yeah CGL seems to be stumbling more than a little with the SR line (which given how solid the Battletech stuff still is is a real kicker, I love both universes), but I saw several people posit House Rules, Logical Fixes and an array of other things when SR5 first hit but they seemed to get swept away quickly in the negativity wave. Instead of people both seeing a flaw and offering an alternative, we just have "This is WRONG!" with no fix and almost any adjustment or otherwise being shouted down. I think the only recent conversation that took place here that was anything like the way we used to treat things was the Force Summoning limit one.

I Like SR3, I didn't like SR4 (but I enjoyed some of the fiction), I like the possibilities of SR5 but I have put together several pages of my own fixes to things or adjustments to things and I'm adding more as I go back through things (like breaking down the UMS back into Tradition Focused Magic Systems). But I wonder how many people just don't post now because of negative backlash instead of constructive discourse?

Thing is, SR5's rules and setting are honestly broken enough that the house rules that get proposed generally have undesired consequences at other points, usually because of a rule hidden in a text block somewhere the author happened to miss because it isn't called out somewhere else. There are few equitable fixes because the whole system is off-balanced. This is pretty notable since nearly all the house rules sets we've had up here for discussion have involved gutting major aspects of the game design, especially the (in my opinion, vastly poorly designed) wireless rules.

QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Dec 12 2014, 04:57 PM) *

What's to say? Books aren't out yet, so we can't comment on the content, and Edit : Guess they are. The editing has continued to be shaky at best throughout everything released for SR5 so far. It is really, really hard to expect people to get hyped up and excited over a product when the last half-dozen releases have all had the same major editing issues. The last major rules release was the Shadow Spells back in September, we have no ETA on anything else coming out. I think a number of us have settled in to play SR3 or SR20A and wait to see what SR5.5 will look like when they inevitably give it a full rewrite, because everything released that is based on the premises set out in SR5 is going to carry on its flaws until they give up and fix the core book.

Heck, even Missions has only managed to put out what, 3 runs in Season 5 since September 2013.
Sengir
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Dec 12 2014, 11:57 PM) *
People don't even talk about the damn content or world anymore

That is what I consider to be the big change: People on DS do not really bother with new releases, at all. A bit of bickering (and seriously, it wasn't more than that) on "eternal" topics like balance, editing, stupid names, overrepresentation of X, etc. were always part of the talk, but for the most part the discussion was about the product. Nowadays, the "meta" discussion is still there, but the product itself does not seem to be worth talking about anymore -- the R&G thread got to an anemic 16 pages, SG just made 6...

I can't speak for others, but for me the reason in one word is Apathy. I used to be interested in 5th when it first came out, these days I really can't muster any excitement for it. positive or negative. It's no catastrophe, it's no real improvement either, so meh...
garner_adam
I used to post here now and again but about a year ago a new supplement came out and I saw that the community here was simply just mean. Now I just check in when I want to check out the archives for the good stuff. Now days I find /r/Shadowrun to be pretty chill and people actually talk about the current products they own.
Sendaz
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 12 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Not being active there myself, what is traffic on the official forums like?

It varies, if you are looking for RAW vs RAI there are certainly some lively debates.

I love when Wyrm chimes in, he is my definition of a LoreKeeper, however you do need to have a bit of a thicker hide as sometimes how he phrases the answer can send the wee cubs scurrying.
This is not his intent so do not take it personally, think of how Sheldon can answer a question sometimes, it is correct but could be phrased nicer. wink.gif
Oh and NEVER ask him what time it is. nyahnyah.gif

But few can fault his knowledge/understanding of the material and if you can look past the gruff exterior of the response, you will find many useful nuggets to apply in the game.

If you have a concept that needs help developing or just statting for in game, whether a archetype or new piece of kit, there are plenty of people who can chime in, whether it's because the same idea or something similar has been spawned before or just folk with Real world understanding of some idea (or a good grasp of theoretical information) and can offer input.

For wilder debates the consipiracy theories/secret history section is great fun to read as people try to figure out the crazy stuff behind the curtain.

Then you also get so hear more from the independent writers like Crit and Patrick about their works which is always a plus and I do get sad that a lot of the indies do steer clear of here at DS because they often catch flak for stuff that isn't even directly related to them. frown.gif

On the downside there are trollbaiters, folk who carefully coach their statements to try and intentionally irritate someone into saying something brash in response then act like they are the injured party in the conversation and harp at the replier about how the replier is trolling, which can then spiral into a flamefest carefully egged on by the TB.
Imagine a Martyr crying out about how they are being persecuted all the while with a bloody dagger in their hand behind their back and you would not be far off.
Worst luck is I know one of them is pals with guys in CGL and they have even admitted they have gotten out of the few bans they were actually caught out in by going over the mod's head.
Thankfully there are only a couple of these and you learn to tread carefully around them and do not get drawn in.
But more than a few times a new cub has wandered in only to get sideswiped by the TB and then leaves before sticking around long enough to realize the whole forum is much better than that.
Eugene
More generally, beyond the caustic tone that is somewhat normal here, there's just not that much traffic anymore. Reddit and the Catalyst forums both get more posts than Dumpshock does.
apple
"Arbeit macht frei"-Authors and SR5 happened, thats all. We are all sad to see SR going down the toilet.

SYL
Glyph
Yeah, any time you have an edition change, you will lose people - not necessarily them storming off in anger, and more them not having as much to discuss with others if they didn't make the switch. There are posters like Sphynx who posted a lot less after the switch to SR4. SR5 turned off a lot of people, and even some of the people who switched over to it still have a "meh" attitude about it. The official forums have a lot more newer players, although they also have some posters who left the Dumpshock forums for some reason or other.

I check out both forums, myself, to get my SR fix. The official boards are moderated a bit more heavily, but it isn't all sunshine, roses, and the company line over there. It may not get as acerbic as Dumpshock, but there is still some snark, and while the pool of knowledge may not be quite as deep, there are still some lively rules discussions.
binarywraith
I think that's definitely a part of it. I have a hard time discussing SR5 in any depth because the discussion inevitably pushes up against bad game design decisions that can't really be justified beyond 'because that's what they printed'. So it's hard to have deeper conversations about the mechanics because the issues with the system hang over them so heavily. Same with the fluff, only a bit worse, as there are a lot of points where it certainly seems like some of the writers haven't read enough of the game's history to be able to properly contextualize the things they're adding to the setting.
Neraph
QUOTE (Cain @ Dec 12 2014, 04:28 AM) *
For better or worse, Dumpshock is the place for rabid, die-hard Shadowrun fans.

Nah, I've had my shots.

QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Dec 12 2014, 09:10 AM) *
Say you wanna discuss a fix for rule X for SR5.

People playing SR3 or 4 don't have the will to help out, finding a solution. Well, but critize is easier. It makes it negative, I guess.

This is the main reason I've not been very active lately. I don't touch SR5.

QUOTE (apple @ Dec 13 2014, 04:06 PM) *
"Arbeit macht frei"-Authors and SR5 happened, thats all. We are all sad to see going SR down the toilet.

SYL

I like the Steam game. Haven't played it nearly as much as I've wanted to, though...
Stahlseele
I liked the SRR Game, the base campaign at least . . i gave up on the Berlin Campaign because of the AI Cellar Mission . .
But it's still a bit disappointing to me, that it was changed that much after they had said it would be basically SR3 on computer <.<
And also because i expected something a bit more like Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics . . Still can't believe that appearantly nobody can make a game like that today anymore . .
And don't get me started on SRR, that's even worse in my eyes . .

Yeah, i play neither SR4 nor SR5 and the last time i got to play SR3 was over a year ago by now . . feels like i am a member of the cast of The Gamers - Hands of Fate right now <.<

I don't need no shots, i've been rabid before coming here and i feel fine, thank you very much!
binarywraith
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 13 2014, 08:57 PM) *
I liked the SRR Game, the base campaign at least . . i gave up on the Berlin Campaign because of the AI Cellar Mission . .
But it's still a bit disappointing to me, that it was changed that much after they had said it would be basically SR3 on computer <.<
And also because i expected something a bit more like Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics . . Still can't believe that appearantly nobody can make a game like that today anymore . .
And don't get me started on SRR, that's even worse in my eyes . .

Yeah, i play neither SR4 nor SR5 and the last time i got to play SR3 was over a year ago by now . . feels like i am a member of the cast of The Gamers - Hands of Fate right now <.<

I don't need no shots, i've been rabid before coming here and i feel fine, thank you very much!

Wasteland 2's worth a shot, if you're a big fan of that kind of game. It was fun for me in that same style.
Shev
QUOTE (apple @ Dec 13 2014, 06:06 PM) *
"Arbeit macht frei"-Authors and SR5 happened, thats all. We are all sad to see going SR down the toilet.

SYL

This.

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2014, 09:54 PM) *
I like the Steam game. Haven't played it nearly as much as I've wanted to, though...

I love Shadowrun Returns. The Dragonfall Directors cut is the best of the official content. There's also a mod called "Shadowrun Unlimited" which is basically one man's quest to create an open-world game using the editor. Very reminiscent of the Sega SR.

Funnily enough, SR Returns is based on old school shadowrun, pre-4th.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Dec 14 2014, 05:40 AM) *
Wasteland 2's worth a shot, if you're a big fan of that kind of game. It was fun for me in that same style.

Yeah, i got my founders package yesterday . . it's a bit closer, but still no cookie compared to the old fallouts ._.
apple
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2014, 09:54 PM) *

Indeed SRR DF was a nice game, and I enjoyed playing it. However, IMHO the replay value is very small (depending on the scale of the budget) and I prefer games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, when it comes to gameplay (I do not thing that tactical combat does universes with such a great visualisation like Shadowrun justice - there is no feeling of awe, if a 2,60m troll walks besides you in a tactical view, contrary to a shoulder / ego shooter perspective).

SYL
Stahlseele
QUOTE (apple @ Dec 14 2014, 04:20 PM) *
Indeed SRR DF was a nice game, and I enjoyed playing it. However, IMHO the replay value is very small (depending on the scale of the budget) and I prefer games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, when it comes to gameplay (I do not thing that tactical combat does universes with such a great visualisation like Shadowrun justice - there is no feeling of awe, if a 2,60m troll walks besides you in a tactical view, contrary to a shoulder / ego shooter perspective).

SYL

True . . that's what i really liked about the F³ in 1st Person . . Super Mutants and Death-Claws are suddenly gods be damned awfully huge when you get close to them x.x . .
binarywraith
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 14 2014, 10:41 AM) *
True . . that's what i really liked about the F³ in 1st Person . . Super Mutants and Death-Claws are suddenly gods be damned awfully huge when you get close to them x.x . .

Too bad literally everything else about the game graphically was terrible. Bethesda can't make decent character models to save their lives.
Sengir
QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 14 2014, 12:52 AM) *
I check out both forums, myself, to get my SR fix. The official boards are moderated a bit more heavily, but it isn't all sunshine, roses, and the company line over there.

The thing is, from the moment CGL announced they would start their own board it got the reputation of being a claqueur project to designed to drown out the critical voices on fan boards, particularly DS. Human confirmation bias means that such reputations are often self-fulfilling prophecies, even before you factor in more "active" measures...
Smash
Negativity is certainly an issue. I don't mind it in some ways because I can troll with the best of them, but I can see how it has chased people away.

A good example is how much people here seem to get their heckles up is the matrix in 5th Ed. The writers took the most overlooked ruleset in the setting and made genuine attempts to make it workable. Yes, there was some creative license taken to try and get deckers out of the armchair and on site and if you interpret the rules correctly (surprisingly, 90% of people don't/can't) it does exactly that. However, people just got so obsessed with realism they just couldn't get past it.

"How do decks pinpoint where devices are!? It's impossibullz because of modern wifi!!!!"

/sigh. Personally, I would have just had another crash and made wireless go away.... Like in that 'Revolution' show.

"Yeah, there's some satellite emitting magic and now devices don't work anymore....or some shit"

Anyway, I digress. The official forums don't have the zealotry around this sort of stuff and it's kind of refreshing.
Glyph
The main problem people had with the SR5 matrix rules was that it gave nonsensical "bonuses" that made no sense - things like a matrix connection supposedly making extendable batons extend faster, or two DNI-linked pieces of 'ware talk to each other better.

Most of the so-called bonuses were things that used to be part of a device's normal functionality - to coerce people into carrying the idiot ball and being online, where they were subject to attacks from an undetectable vector that could permanently damage their 'ware or gear.

Wireless bonuses would make a lot more sense if they played up the role of tactical comm-nets and computer-aided targeting, and let that be the target for hacking attempts, rather than things like an internal air tank that needs to be hooked up to the internet to tell you how much air it has remaining.

High-tech stuff does need to make a smidgen of sense, future tech or not. Writers have been crafting plausible stories dealing with nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel, and other things for quite some time. But when you start doing things like saying "This gun shoots around corners, because, um, Buckyballs!" then you start jolting people out of the suspension of disbelief that is so essential to any work of fiction - or roleplaying game.
Cain
QUOTE (Smash @ Dec 14 2014, 05:52 PM) *
Negativity is certainly an issue. I don't mind it in some ways because I can troll with the best of them, but I can see how it has chased people away.

A good example is how much people here seem to get their heckles up is the matrix in 5th Ed. The writers took the most overlooked ruleset in the setting and made genuine attempts to make it workable. Yes, there was some creative license taken to try and get deckers out of the armchair and on site and if you interpret the rules correctly (surprisingly, 90% of people don't/can't) it does exactly that. However, people just got so obsessed with realism they just couldn't get past it.

Honestly, I had an easier time getting Deckers onsite in SR3. That's because offline storage was a big deal, you couldn't access certain info unless you went in physically and got it.

The SR2 dungeon crawl matrix, for all its flaws, also did better at this. Because they used a map, you could see where accessing a site from the inside would bypass the choke points, and make things easier. The node idea from SR4.5 pretty much gets rid of this, since one IC program can cover an entire node. There's no benefit to going in.

But my biggest problem was the entire concept of the wireless Matrix. I don't have a problem with wireless decking, that's been around since SR2. Thing is, for all the warts, the Shadowrun setting is iconic. It's not a projection of our future, it's a view of a fictional setting that just happens to be in the future. This makes it a lot like Buck Rogers or Star Wars; it's not supposed to be speculative fiction, it's a reflection of our views of the future at a particular time. Nobody complains about wifi internet in Star Wars or Star Trek, we're too entranced with lightsabers and transporters.

SR4 got rid of this. They changed the setting: instead of an iconic cautionary tale of the future, they gave us a pale reflection of the present. Then, mechanics were shoehorned in, to reflect this watered-down vision. That might have been okay, had the mechanics been better; however, that's not what we got. They effectively double-downed on their view of the future with 5e, changing even more mechanics to support it.

What makes Shadowrun great is that it's iconic-- it has a bold view of the future, as reflected in the time it was written. Now, we have a weak version of the future, as reflected in the Windows Vista User Manual.
apple
Even an iconic vison of the future needs plausability and playability - both missed in the Matrix rules from SR123 and 5.

SYL
mrslamm0
Honestly I grow tired of the edition wars, just play the flavor of shadowrun that makes you happy. Yeah they all have their flaws, if you won't like wifi retcon it from your games. If you do great! Yeah 5th ed has it's flaws but to me it had enough changes to grab me from fourth. The problems I have, I have been able to add in small fixes to get around them and keep my table having a great time. Hell we had to do this with 3rd and 4th edition but after 15 odd some years we are still having a great time. My only real issue these days is the editing with the current edition get that cleared up and I'm even happier. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012