Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Johnny
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2248 hrs - En route to meet with Rook, Seattle

Elana nods and waits for you to park the car then gets out and walks around to the driver's side and takes your place. "Come back soon."
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2252 hrs - Meet with Rook, Octane Gas Station, Seattle

Johnny rounds the corner, across the parking lot is an Octane gas station. Scanning the area, he doesn't spot Rook right away, but he hadn't expected to. Rook had a knack for blending in, and seemed to have a new vehicle every week.

>>>Rook[Johnny]: Approaching on foot. Where are you?<<<
Mercy

As you close your call, you see the flick of a light from about forty feet away and Rook steps away from the wall, cupping a cigarette. He approaches you and says, "Hey, long time. You alone?"
Bastard

"I'm alone. Thanks for meeting on such short notice. I am really in a jam."
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2253 hrs - Meet with Rook, Octane Gas Station, Seattle

The man takes a couple of drags on his cigarette and nods. "So I gathered. I got a place for you. Not too nice, not too ugly. Got some food and beer in the fridge that I can restock as needed and a caf pot.You got lucky on the hot water, with a thirty minute allotment for the shower and another hour for anything else. You ready to take possession?"

OOC:

Would you prefer no colors for the talking?
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2254 hrs - Meet with Rook, Octane Gas Station, Seattle

"Definitely. I will take care of the restocking. Don't want you caught up in this."

Mercy

Rook nods and tosses the butt of his cigarette to the ground. "If you are ready, follow me and I can get you there in about ten minutes."
Bastard

Johnny continues to look around as they talk. He was hoping this would go quicker.

"If you insist, but I'd rather not get you anymore involved. I think I might be in over my head on this one. But what ever you decide, let's do it."

[EDITED: Added to clear up missing info]

Rook does insist, and the two travel on foot.

<<Elana [Johnny]: Standby. He insists on going with me. I will contact you shortly. Traveling on foot.>>
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2302 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

The walk actually takes less than ten minutes. The safe house is a small place with two beds in a room that also serves as the living room and kitchen. There is a bathroom with a shower. The kitchen is well stocked and there is an entertainment system on a table in the living room. Rook holds out the keys. "Well?"
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2302 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny looks around. The place is small, especially for the price, but it was on short notice.

"It will do. Thanks. Where does the third party sleep? Is there a pull out under one of the beds? Also, is there a first aid kit? Might need to change some bandages."
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2304 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Rook shakes his head. "Two beds, and you are lucky to get that at the notice I got. You can squeeze together, but if one is on guard, just hot rack it. You got an R4 medkit under the sink. Let me know what you use so I can get the refills. Is it just bandages? I don't want a lot of blood around here. Cleanup is a bitch with blood. I may have to up the cost." He looks at you closely. "So where are your friends and how they getting here? You get careless and let someone follow them in and there will be hell to pay."
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2304 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"Chill, Rook. You chose to give the personal tour. Once you're gone, I will pick up my team. I doubt any one followed us, but I want to keep you separated from this, as much as possible."

Johnny hands Rook the money, and shakes his hand.

"I will walk with you back to the gas station, and we can split up near there."
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2305 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Rook seems mollified and the money helps erase his doubts. He shakes your hand and nods, handing you a key to the house. "Right, let's go."

The walk back to the gas station is uneventful and you are pretty sure that you can get back to the house. He nods to you and lights another cigarette as he walks away, leaving you alone.
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2315 hrs - Leaving the Octane gas station, Seattle

"Rook. Thanks again."

Johnny heads the opposite direction from Rook, but not directly toward where his friends are hopefully still waiting. And hopefully still alive. A cold chill washes over him as the last though crosses his mind.

>>Elana [Johnny]: Heading your way on foot. You still where I left you? Anything suspicious?<<
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2315 hrs - Leaving the Octane gas station, Seattle

The response comes quickly. >>Johnny [Elana]: Still in same place, yes. Only thing suspicious is chocolate bar in glove box with use by date of six years ago and pair of black lace woman's panties. Do you dress funny at times, Johnny, or just from one of your conquests in car?<<
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2316 hrs - Leaving the Octane gas station, Seattle

>>Elana [Johnny]: The piece of drek car deserves the spoils of war it earns.<<

Johnny turned the corner and the car was there waiting. He climbed in immediately, giving Elana the directions to the safe house.

Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2325 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana offers you the driver's seat, but shrugs when you slip into the passenger's side. The ride is short and soon you are parked in the small garage attached to the house. Elana helps you get Margaret into the room and on one of the beds. She looks around and nods. "I have stayed in worse places. Are we staying on watch or sharing other bed?"
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2325 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"Do you think we need to keep watch? They seem to be one step ahead of us, so I am leaning toward keeping watch."
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2326 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana shrugs her shoulders. "Is safe place, right? I would not think that we need to watch, but can share with you. I can do first if you like."
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2326 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"Safe as it is going to get... Just a little unnerved that they were on Margaret so quick. Of course, Bert could have been holding onto this information for a while, or something like that. Hopefully he is okay."
Bastard
**double post**
Mercy
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2327 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana shrugs. "I do not know much of what is wrong. Bert just say help you and I try to do that. So you rest first and I will wake you in two hours?"
Bastard
Tuesday 11 June 2075 - 2327 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny conceded, and let Elana take the first watch.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0230 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

You are actually pretty tired and quickly fall asleep only to be disturbed in what seems like seconds by Elana gently shaking your arm. "Is time, Johnny. I let you sleep three hours instead of two. I looked at Margaret's bandages and she is fine. Now I go to sleep. Everything is quiet so we might not need guard on watch. You may remain in bed with me if you like."

She stands and removes her clothes before climbing naked into bed.
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0230 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny didn't realize how tired he was until he tried to open his eyes, but then found that he couldn't close them after watching Elena undress. He was used to women coming on to him; After all, he was good looking, tall, and used to be rich. However, even given that Euro-asians were more sexually liberated, she was coming on strong given the situation. He still had reservations, even though his most trusted contact, Bert, had vouched for her. It seemed she was purposefully distracting him.

Then again, she did save his ass at the Met, nothing happened in the first watch, she looked amazing in that black dress, and even more so now without it.

Johnny got up and made his way to the kitchenette.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0232 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

By the time you get to the kitchenette and turn around, the girl is breathing softly and her eyes are closed. It seems that perhaps Elana did not have anything more on her mind than sleep. Looking around at the appliances, you see that Elana has set the cafpot on for you and a cup of the brew ought to be ready in a minute. There is a small tray on the counter with one of the sandwiches from the refrigerator and an apple from the bowl near the sink. There is a small card leaning against the sandwich that has some writing in a spidery sort of scrawl. "I did not think you would stay in bed. You are gentleman. I make snack for you and fresh pot of caf. Wake me in two or three hours. E."
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0234 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Soycaf would be appreciated, real coffee would be enjoyed. Johnny smiles at the note left by Elana. He takes the mug of fake coffee and makes his way to the front window to take a peek out onto the street. He takes note of the cars parked on the street, compared to what they were when he came with Rook.

Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0234 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

You are pretty sure that the same cars are in the same places now as when you first looked out the window, although as you watch, a man walks out the door of the building across from you and gets in one. Moments later it pulls from the curb and goes off down the street. The caf may not be real coffee, but it is warm and the taste is not tooooooo bad, or at least it is not hard any more to convince yourself of that. A noise from your side makes you turn and you see Elana turning over in her sleep to lie on her back, the sheet rather inappropriately low over her hips at this point. The room is not large so you can see several small puckered scars on her torso and side that are likely from bullet wounds and one fairly long slice on her side that never healed completely. Some of her hair has fallen over her right eye.

Margaret, on the other hand, seems to be sleeping soundly and has not stirred from when you got up.
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0235 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny notes the surroundings once more, before taking a seat at the back corner of the kitchen, and pulling up something to read on his comlink.

Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0530 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

The next three hours pass quietly, the only noise being the soft breathing from Elana, a bit of low snoring from Margaret, and the ding as the cafpot signals it is ready with a fresh cup for you.
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0530 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

The sun was already out, trying to creep into the small house through the cracks in the blinds. Johnny decides to let Elana sleep a while longer. She had only three hours of rest, and if she woke up now, she probably wouldn't get any more for the rest of the day. He on the other hand, would probably get another hour or two once Elana awoke.

He refilled his mug, then checked the window again, taking note of the cars and any pedestrians. The wage slaves should already be flooding the roads. Johnny found himself missing the rat race, or at least the steady paycheck it provided.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0630 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

The foot traffic in the street picks up as people begin going about their daily lives. At just about 0630, Elana stirs and sits up, stretching and you try to think of the last time you saw a beautiful and naked woman sit up in your bed and stretch quite like that. She smiles at you then wags a finger your way as she slides out of the bed. "You are naughty, Johnny. You let me sleep longer than supposed to." She walks over to look at Margaret and checks her bandages before standing up and heading to the small bathroom. "Margaret is doing well. I will shower quickly to not use too much hot water. Are you going back to bed or staying up?"
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0630 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"I am going to try and get an hour or two. I figured if I woke you earlier, you wouldn't get a chance to get any more sleep in. Who knows where today will take us?"

Johnny takes Elana's spot in bed.

"Use all the hot water you want," he yawns. "I am sure it will be warm again by the time I take my turn."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0631 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana smiles as she bends over to pick her clothes off the floor. She looks over her shoulder at you as she walks to the bathroom. "I do not know what planet you are from. Hot water ration means for all day. I will use as little as possible so Margaret can have some as well." She disappears into the bathroom and closes the door, leaving you to stare at it a bit. That ass of hers was very nice to look at, as was the rest of her body. You shake yourself and climb into the bed and are fast asleep in seconds.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0930 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

As you stir from sleep, your bladder definitely tells you that you need to get up to use the toilet. As you slip off the bed, you hear voices and see Elana and Margaret sitting at the small table, drinking caf and talking softly. Both look up at you as you hurry across the room and both call out a good morning. Elana calls out to you as you shut the door. "Not take long in shower, Johnny. I have caf ready for you when you come out."
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0945 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

The warm shower relaxed Johnny's body and mind, but it was short-lived as he dressed in his worn clothes. He put on just his pants and dress shirt, with no other under garments. It would have to do for the day. He returned to the main room to join his friends for soycof.

"Dobroye utro," Johnny said as he returned. Though still heavily accented, it was a phrase he had picked up from Bert over the years. Damn I miss coffee, he thought as he poured himself a cup of soycof.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0945 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana smiles at your greeting. "Very good, Johnny. Thank you."

Margaret looks a lot better than she did the night before. "OK, you two. Someone start talking about what is going on. I have not sen you in a while then you show up and all hell breaks loose. I get shot. So tell me something. Please."
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0946 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny sits down across from Margaret and gets right to it.

"Bert contacted me last night, just before I called you. He was spooked, and already two bottles in before I met him. Something is going on inside Renraku, something big. He suspects a shadow corporation, and he believes you might have knowledge of it, and that is why you took an early retirement last year.

"He said you had warned him to keep away from Hideo Funaka, and to watch his back. Reading between the lines, I don't think he has gotten a full night's sleep since that night.

"He hired Elana and I to dig up any information we can find, in hopes we will discover enough evidence to bring to the CEO.

"Bert was so distraught, and knowing Funaka, I didn't think you were safe. That is why we came to meet you last night. Only whoever is pulling the strings was faster than us... well, maybe not faster than Elana."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0947 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Margaret pales a bit as you talk and her hand trembles just a little as she picks up her caf, causing her to put the chipped cup back on the table. She looks from you to Elana and back to you, tensing a bit as if to run before slumping in the chair. "Renraku. Shadow corporation. Yeah, I think so. Anyway, a couple of friends and I were jawing it up some at a party a few months back and shortly afterwards I was called to see my boss and he showed me my, how did he say it.......oh, yeah, my possible next performance review. Plainly put, it was a career killer. Worse, there were allegations in the review of gross misconduct involving the theft of corporate data and sexual harassment of a subordinate. They had names, dates, and security camera trideo. He even showed me a sword statement from Shoko Yangawa, my personal assistant where she testified that I had gotten her drunk and had sex with her. All of it was lies, but well crafted lies. He told me that I would be allowed to retire early and the review would stay in his hands as long as I was good and just went away. So I just went away. And I was good. I swear that I did not say anything to anyone. How Bert got a line I don't know, but there must have been something in what my friends and I were talking about, eh? That does not explain why they came after me tonight, but perhaps they got wind of Bert's investigation and linked him to me. Any ideas?"
Bastard

"My only idea is to start doing some legwork. Bert provided me with this," Johnny says, pulling out the envelope.

He hadn't had a chance to go through it before picking up Margaret, and by the time he got to the safe house, he had forgotten. He laid the contents out on the table for everyone to look through.
Mercy

The contents of the envelope are a bit meager. There is a credstick, a couple of photo stills and a piece of paper with some notes jotted down. The stills include one man as the main subject, but he is accompanied by a different man in each photo. Margaret sucks in her breath and her voice is tight with dislike. "Hideo Funaka. What a weasel. His specialty is getting dirt on his superiors so he can force removal or retirement. I am sure that he is up to no good. I believe that he is directly involved with the shadow corporation stuff you mentioned." She puts a finger on the second man in one of the photos. "Shiroku Tanaka. I only met him once, but I got the clear impression that he was dangerous. And cruel. I think that he is Funaka's right hand man for digging up dirt. I would not be surprised if he were not behind my dismissal in some way. I wonder if you could talk to my former PA. She might have something to say. I do not know the caucasian man in the other photo, but I remember seeing him in the corporate headquarters here in Seattle a couple of times. Hmmmm. Oh, I got it. Check with Shelly Inverness, that cute secretary for Oliver Rome? Surely you remember her? She was the talk of the tower at one point. Both times I saw this guy he was talking to her, so she might know more."
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0948 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"Can you get us in contact with her?" Johnny asks Margaret.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0948 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Margaret nods. "I think so. I had thought we were friends but then she swears some crap statement against me and I get tossed out. My guess is that they got to her somehow. Probably her kid. She is a single mother with a five year old son. If they threatened him, she would do almost anything, I suppose."

"Say, I am supposed to be at another gala tonight. Will it be alright to go? I could get the two of you in?"
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0949 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Johnny's eyes widen as Margaret suggests going to another gala. He looks to Elana, "I don't think that is wise."

"Let's definitely try contacting Shelly Inverness today. She may be looking to get out, or she may be a supporting member of this shadow company."
Mercy

Margaret nods. "I thought you would say that. It is just that I forked over a lot of money for the ticket and would hate to waste it. Anyway, here is the com code for Shelly, but I am afraid I do not have an address for her. It should be easy to get with a matrix search, though, right?"
Bastard

"Probably, but the last time I did a matrix search, the computer caught fire."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0950 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Both women chuckle at that and Margaret nods. "It is like that with me and cooking. Burned water once just trying to heat it up. We all have our limitations. Still, I might be able to get an address if you think it is safe to use a comlink here?"
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0951 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

After a very long drink of coffee, Johnny answered, "I have my burner you can use."
Mercy

Margaret smiles and takes the burner from you. She fiddles with it for a bit, exclaiming at the comparative uselessness of cheap pieces of junk like this but eventually gives a smile of triumph and turns the 'link around so that you can see the address on the screen. "There you go, despite this thing."
Bastard

"Let's go then. Margaret, stay here. Do not leave. Do not go for a walk. Do not contact anyone. Which reminds me, I need you comlink. Copy down any info you need out of it, before we leave. Then we got to ditch it somewhere."
Mercy

Margaret reflexively begins to do as you ask then looks up, a bit startled. "You mean you are leaving me here alone?"

Elana looks at you and nods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012