Full Version: Tangled Currents - Johnny
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0951 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

"I think that is safest, don't you Elana?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 0952 hrs - Rook's Safe House, Seattle

Elana is quiet for a few moments then she nods her head. "Yes, I think that is safest."
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1005 hrs - Leaving Rook's Safe House, Seattle

After much reassuring, Elana and Johnny are leaving the safe house. They scouted the front yard before leaving in Johnny's beat down Americar.
Mercy

After climbing into the car, Elana looks over to you. "So, go see this Shelly?"
Bastard

"Yes. Hopefully she is at home. If not we will have to track her down."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1100 hrs - Near Shelly's House, Seattle

You bring the car to a halt about three blocks from the address you were given. Elana nods and looks over to you. "So how play this one?"
Bastard

"I have never had a problem with straight up. Tell her like it is."
Mercy

Elana nods. "Then that is how we do it. I follow you lead on doing this straight up."

You put the car in gear and drive.
Bastard

"You want to do your sneaky stuff and be ready to back me up, then I can go right to the door?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1102 hrs - Near Shelly's House, Seattle

Elana nods and chuckles. "Yes, I go do sneaky stuff. Signal from door if it is good to come in, unless you need me to stay on watch outside?"
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1102 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

Johnny approaches the front door cautiously, looking to see any signs of disturbance or possible forced entry.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1103 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

From what you can tell, there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary about the house, and certainly no sign of forced entry at the front door.
Bastard

Johnny raps the door with his knuckles, then stands out of sight of any windows or peepholes, just in case there are any unfriendlies inside. His Savalette Guardian is holstered, with its silencer attached. It will be difficult to pull, but that is why he has his Colt American on an arm slide. It however, doesn't have a silencer, so if there is a firefight, Lone Star won't be far.
Mercy

The inner door of the house is opened a bit, although the screen door is left shut. You can see the face of a young woman through the several inch-wide opening. She would appear to be perhaps in her early twenties. "Hello? May I help you?"
Bastard

"Hello, Shelly. I am not sure you remember me. We used to work together. My name is Carson."

Mercy

The young woman's eyes go a bit wide and she licks her lips nervously as she glances past you to see who might be watching. "Carson? No, I don't think I remember you. And I don't work there anymore, anyway."
Bastard

"Neither do I, which is what we need to talk about. Can I come in? I assure you it is important."
Mercy

Shelly looks a bit nervous and peers around your shoulder before nodding slightly and opening the door enough for you to enter the house. She leads you into the kitchen/dining area and motions to the small dining table. "Please sit, I was just going to have some caf. Fancy a cup?"
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1104 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

"Yes, please," he responds, looking around for any sign of other occupants.

"Okay, Elana. I'm in. Not sure she is alone."

"Is there anyone else here? Or has the company contacted you lately?"
Mercy

The woman takes a mug from the sink and pours you a soycaf. there is a faint odor of cigarette smoke in the air and you can see a partially filled ashtray on the table with two different brands represented in the butts deposited there. She hands you the mug and hesitates a fraction of a second before shaking her head. "No. No one is here. I am alone. And I have not had anyone from the company call me since I was......let go."

She sits on a chair at the table and looks at you. "Why?"
Bastard

"Someone is here."

"Good. I have heard rumors that the company is tying up loose ends, but of what I don't know." Johnny moved himself as he spoke, so he was facing the entrances, with his back protected. "I don't know what it is about, but I hope you and I don't have any ties to it. It is just a rumor of course, but I wouldn't put anything past the company. I just wanted to warn you. You may want to make yourself scarce until things blow over."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1105 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

She seems to be holding her mug in a death grip if her white knuckles are any indication. "I...I was thinking of going to visit my mother. It's just that one of the kids is sick in bed and I can't just.....just pick up and leave, you know?" Her eyes are pleading with you and she motions her head to the outer door. "I am sorry that I am not such good company right now. So why would you think to warn me, anyway? I am not a loose end."

>>One down. I think two are left. I can see one with a gun to a child. Waiting to see if he moves. Keep talking.<<
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1105 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

Johnny places his hand next to the Guardian, but he didn't want to pull it yet. You never know when mages are watching through astral space.

"A friend asked me to check on some people after an incident. Seems like they're are a lot of drek is happening around ex-employees, and I, like our friend, do not believe in coincidences.

"So, I again urge you to get out of town. Even if your child is sick. I wouldn't stay at your mom's. I would get as much cash together as you can, I go sleeved you can't be tracked."

>>K. Tell me where to go and when. I can take the other. <<

Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1106 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

>>Man is leaving room and heading to stairs up. Be ready to take that one. Only one man now in room with child. I will deal with him."

Shelly licks her lips and shakes her head then nods. "Sure, I will go somewhere. But maybe you ought to leave. So I can pack."
Bastard

>>"Tell me when it's clear to move."

"How many kids do you have? Just the one? I can give you a ride to the airport or train station if you need, but I don't have a car seat."

He works his way toward the doorway while talking.
Mercy

>>Man is around corner on stairs. Four risers from top. If you stand in hall you should be able to shoot him as he enters from stairs. I shoot man in room in three stairs so give you diversion when child screams. Be ready.<<

Shelly puts her hands to her mouth and is in some agony and shaking her head.
Bastard

"Well if you don't want me to give you a ride," Johnny pulls his Savallete Guardian and charges it, "you should still take your kids and get out of Seattle for a time..."

>>Go.<<

"...Better safe than sorry. What ever you need, I am here to help."

Johnny rounds the corner with his Guardian already high, aiming for the stairs, waiting on his target to appear.

Mercy

Tick Tock, tick tock. You can hear the ticking of a wall clock in the kitchen behind you as the world almost goes into slow motion. You see the head and torso of a man appearing in the hallway in front of you just as a piercing scream comes from behind him, causing him to swivel his head to look back down the stairs. He has a large handgun in his right hand, but it his body movement in response to the scream leaves it pointed at the wall in front of him.

Your sight picture is textbook perfect.
Bastard

Johnny unloaded a silenced burst round, center mass. He kept his gun trained for a second burst, knowing the man was probably wearing some sort of armor.

[ Spoiler ]

Mercy

Your shot catches the man dead center and you can see blood spurting from at least two holes as he gives a strangled cry and falls backwards down the stairs. He reflexively squeezes the trigger of his pistol and it goes off in the narrow hallway, leaving your ears ringing a bit and causing Shelly to scream out as she tries to push you aside to get past you. You think she is yelling something about her baby but are not completely certain.
Bastard

>>Target down. Moving<<

Keeping his gun trained on the fallen man, Johnny climbed the stairs.
Mercy

The stairway leads down to the lower level of the house and as you carefully look around the entrance to it you see the crumpled at the bottom, with Elana kneeling beside him. She seems to be checking for a pulse but shakes her head as she looks at you. Shelly is practically screaming in your ear as you are blocking the way down. Elana motions behind her and a young girl comes forward into view and is given a slight push to go up the stairs to her mother.
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1107 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

Johnny stands aside for the little girl to pass him.

"Shelly. I strongly urge you to get out of town. Don't stay at your mother's or any where else you have been. Don't use credit cards and don't contact anyone. Before you go, though. I have some questions, hopefully to clear up what is going on. I will give you some time to gather your things, then we must go."

Johnny holsters his pistol, and continues down the stairs. The adrenaline from having to shoot someone was quickly wearing off and he could feel the anxiety starting to kick in. At the bottom of the stairs he searches the man for weapons, id and a p-sec.

"What do you think, Elana?"
Mercy

Shelly grabs her daughter and nods as she goes out of view. Elana looks up at you. "What Elana think? Elana think man is dead." She waits for your expression then chuckles. "Alright. I think men were only mid-grade soldiers. Not much security. I think they were not expecting us to arrive but were here to collect the woman. But not kill her or she would be dead already. I left man in room alive so you can question him. He will be unconscious for several minutes longer. Third man is dead for sure. Also think you give good advice to woman to leave."
Bastard

"Do you plan to interrogate the man here, or do you have a place in mind? Lone Star may be en route with that gunshot that was fired."
Mercy

Elana gives you an amused look and shakes her head. "I do not interrogate as it is not in my skill set. I was thinking maybe you wanted to talk to him? If not I will kill him and problem of prisoner is solved. And you are right about KE presence. If someone called in to them of shooting. That means Shelly must leave soon. Why don't you go tell her while I deal with unconscious man?"
Bastard

"Bind him and wake him then. I'll question him here. I'll get Shelly moving while you do that."

Johnny went back up stairs to ensure Shelly was almost ready. "Shelly. I'm sorry your family had to see that, but I don't think it will be the last of this. Let me know when you're ready, and we'll get you out of here. I'm going to ask that guy a few questions."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1108 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

Shelly is upstairs, packing clothes for herself and her daughter. She gives you a fearful look but only nods her head when you tell her to hurry.

Back downstairs, Elana has expertly bound the prisoner and he is groggy but awake. She looks up at you as you enter the room. "He seems reluctant to talk. Perhaps you can have better luck."
Bastard

"I got it, E. Help Shelly. We will take her car, too, and leave it at the airport. Hopefully throw off any Renraku tail."

Johnny headed back downstairs to do an impromptu interrogation. He didn't really have too much experience in the matter, but how different could it be from negotiation? As soon as Johnny entered the room he pulled his Savalette and began his questioning.

"Okay. If you want to live, tell me what you know. We don't have long before Lone Star arrives. You talk, you live. You don't, you don't."

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy

Elana nods and goes upstairs to help Shelly pack. The man is a bit groggy yet and you can see a small red spot on his neck that might suggest a puncture of some kind. He looks up at you and snarls. "You are a dead man, whoever you are. If you let me go I could look the other way and let YOU live. Leave the woman here for me to take away and I never saw you. It's the best offer you are going to get all day."
Bastard

"Well, you dumb drek, I can't let you live if you don't give me information. Otherwise that would make me a liar and you won't be my friend. Lone Star is on the way soon, so we have to be quick. Or be dead. Your choice. But first I am going to make it hurt."

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1110 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

The man is already weakened a bit from the drugs and he cries out in pain as you hurt him. "Frag, you bastard. Listen, I ain't changing my story because there is nothing to change it to. You won't believe anything I say so go screw you."

Another push and he is sobbing in pain. "Christ fuck a duck. Alright, I can give you something then you had better kill me because they will find out I said something and do worse than anything you can do to me. Look, we work in cells of three or four. No one knows anyone else and only the team chief knows the next guy." He motions with his head to the guy at the bottom of the stairs. "And that was the cell leader. You and your dumbass girlfriend killed the wrong guy. So I got nothing for you. All I was told was we were picking the girl up and dropping her off........." His eyes go a bit wide and he shuts up.
Bastard
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1110 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

[Johnny>Elana]>>Watch your back. There may be a fourth.<<

"Keep talking," Johnny suggests, emphasizing his point by pointing the pistol at the mans genitals.

Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1111 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

There is a slight pressure at the base of your skull and a voice from behind you. "Alright asshole. How about you drop the gun and call your girlfriend down here. Or you could just shoot the idiot in front of you so I can shoot you and then I go get your girlfriend. I bet she feels real nice on the end of my dick as she begs me to let her live. But I think you will be the smart guy and make the right choice. And don't even think of trying to be the hero and doing something special about the gun I got to your head. I got another pointed right as your heart from behind." You feel a momentary pressure on your back then it goes away. "See? Now call her down like nothing is wrong. I was only contracted to get the woman and her kid and I am willing to let you walk if you play nice."

The man on the floor has gone pale. "Hey boss, I nev....................."

"Shut up, you idiot. You told him plenty already." He pushes the barrel against your head. "Now, go on. Play nice."
Bastard

"Elana. You want to take over down here? This guy ain't talking," Johnny called out, knowing he already alerted his partner. He waited for his moment to spin on the "boss."

"Okay, now what? You want me to keep my pistol pointed at idiot? Or should I drop it?"
Mercy

There is a small Pffft sound from behind you and the idiot on the floor suddenly grows a third eye. His original pair blink a couple of times as a bit of blood oozes from the new one then he collapses over onto the floor, brain matter and blood seeping into the carpet from the much larger hole in the back of his head. "There. Problem solved so you can drop the gun. Seems like a lot fewer to share the payday with, thanks to you and your girlfriend. She probably would have got me, too, if I had not been on the toilet when she walked into the house. And you certainly have the chops. I have some holes in my team if you are interested in switching sides. All we got to do is get the girl and her kid to the drop spot."

Your back is still turned to the man with the guns when you hear Elana's voice from back there. "So, maybe we should listen to man. After all, current employer not pay much and I have expensive tastes. What is offer?"

The muzzle of the gun at your head jumps just a little, but not much. "Holy shit, woman. You are a quiet bitch aren't you. I like that. Yeah, sure, we can talk. Sort of depends on your boyfriend here, though. So, buddy, you willing to talk if I step back? I hope that you do not mind if I ask that you drop the gun first, though."
Bastard

Johnny allows his gun to fall.

"Yeah. We can talk, but really at this point, I am negotiating for my life, not a job. What happens to the little girl. I don't want any part of hurting a child."

Mercy

The man steps back from you. "Smart guy. Now, you can turn around, but do it nice and slow and keep your hands where I can see them. And you, girlie, you seem to be the muscle here while your boyfriend in the brains. Just not smart enough."

He motions with one of the guns in his hands to a spot in the room. Elana quietly moves to the indicated place and nods at you. "Sorry."

The man chuckles. "No tears now and time for the boo hooing later. Not really your fault, girl. Just means part of your training was lax. Now, as to your statement, yes, you are negotiating for your life but also a job. I am down three of my crew and I think that the two of you can help fix that. If you are smart. And I have no idea what happens to the kid or her mother. Not my problem or my worry. I was just hired to take them to a delivery point. If you say no, I have to kill you and then maybe kill the kid because I don't want to be herding the mother and her brat. Understand?"

Elana reaches out to take your hand and holds it tight. Her voice is a bit shaky when she responds. "Not much choice there, but I have no loyalty to the old guy that hired us. This was sort of extra, anyway. and I am not sure was for pay." She looks over at you. "We at least hear him out? I would like very much to hear him."
Bastard

"Keep talking."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 - 1112 hrs - Shelly's House, Seattle

He nods. "Here is the deal. It is a one-time offer and no negotiations. If you do well and behave, we can talk about a bonus from my cut and then discuss the next job. We go upstairs and get the woman and her brat then drive them to the meet, where we drop them off and get paid. Since most of the work has already been done and you are sort of on probation, I will pay you 1K Nuyen each for the drive. Take it or leave it."

Elana nods. "Where is meet?"

The man shakes his head and taps his pocket. "Need to know, babe, and you don't need to know."

She turns her head to look at you. "I have heard enough. Are you ready?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012