Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What stats would you give depleted uranium lacing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cain
And had more than a hundred pounds of 80+% fuel!

Really, I know that any fool can build a big gun to slam two hunks of crap into each other, but you can't score 8,000+ pounds of uranium, enrich it all, and build a bomb in a month.

If I seem a little fanatical about this, it's because I've been listening to people say this since I was a kid. When I was 12 I read those cool BBS philes about building your own A-bomb and all of the 31337 armchair physicists would post on the boards about how they could do it if they wanted. I believed them and I thought they were pretty cool. I'm not 12 anymore. They were full of shit.

Which is why I said: "Given two lumps of uranium of sufficient size and reactivity..." I never claimed to be able to lay hands on enough uranium, despite the fact that ACL is apparently ignoring the parts of my posts that prove him wrong-- namely, all of them.

Really, the physics are that easy. You can build a fission bomb that easily. I doubt you could get it into the megaton range without a *lot* of refinement; but you can get a bomb with more explosive force than the same weight of TNT, sure enough.

If all you want is a fission bomb, it's just a matter of getting enough enriched uranium to come together. If you want a humongous mushroom cloud, that takes a lot more effort. Refining the bomb, so it becomes more efficient and more destructive, is *not* an easy task. But building the basic bomb itself? Child's play. Why, even ACL could do it!
Crusher Bob
It's not like a dirty bomb needs to level the city, just cover large parts of it in stuff that makes your geiger counter go *click-click-click*. Thankfully, this kind of bomb is only useful as a terror weapon and not a strategic or battlefield one, so not a whole lot of work has gone into refining them. The basic idea, though, is to find something nasty, then just blow it up. Bonus points if you do turn the radioactive matericals into dust first, and do it somewehre that will spread the dust well (source of a river, etc).
A Clockwork Lime
Maybe you should go back and read my posts before beating yourself off about my intellectual level. Especially since I never once claimed that the principles behind an atomic bomb were that complicated.

In case you missed it, and you obviously have, *I'm* not the one who continually goes around babbling about my super kung fu powers or atomic bomb building skillz, and I'm definitely not the one who drops a brick and then tries to divert the conversation away from my arrogant bravado when someone asks me to prove it. That's solely your domain. Well, at least until cutter and Arethusa started posting.
Cain
Especially since I never once claimed that the principles behind an atomic bomb were that complicated.

Really? Then why did you think it's so difficult to make one?

I can see why you're backpedaling, someone probably pointed you at a physics primer; but come on now.

The fact is that, given enough U-235, anyone can make a quick and dirty atomic bomb. How much is required depends on how good you are at physics; in some cases, as little as 15kg is required. Not all that difficult, really.
A Clockwork Lime
Oh, I don't need to say it's difficult to make one. The fact that so few countries on the planet have one says that more than any amount of feces you want to vomit out of your mouth does.

Yet that doesn't mean the physics behind it are difficult. Which, again, is something I never said was so.
Cain
Oh, I don't need to say it's difficult to make one.

My dear boy, but it isn't. You've just said as much, in your last post.

What makes things difficult is acquiring U-235, and then refining it into the right shape for an efficient bomb. You want to use as little as possible, after all, so you can make more than one. You also want it to make a really big boom when it explodes-- there's no point in building one that only has force equivalent to, say, five times its mass in TNT. You can build one, it's just not efficient to do so.

But don't worry. *pat*pat* When you're finished contradicting yourself, we'll still be here to help you with your science homework.
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Again, the month figure is not one I'd reliably stand by, as the time it takes to potentially score that kind of material is going to vary wildly depending on whom you know and how much you're willing to spend and risk. With the right connections, I wouldn't call a month impossible.

Well, you said you could do this. That's why I'm replying at all, because that notion is utterly absurd.

So is it safe to say that you've given up this claim? That's all I really have a problem with.

But that's not to say it can't be done. And you don't need 8 tons. That's going just a little far.

I said 4 tons. And really, how far do you think that's going? That's only 50 pounds of fuel, less than what they used in Hiroshima (which wasn't much!) nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Cain)
I never claimed to be able to lay hands on enough uranium, despite the fact that ACL is apparently ignoring the parts of my posts that prove him wrong-- namely, all of them.

I know, I was responding to the idea that Arethusa (or anyone else on this thread) could actually make a working bomb in the real world. It's also what ACL is responding to, in his own lovable way.
A Clockwork Lime
Tell you what, I'll be really generous.

I'll let BOTH of you work together to build your super kewl atomic bomb! You get to work on everything but the nuclear material, then just sit back and wait for Arethusa to score said material which, apparently, is pathetically easy to get your hands on.

Still have 29 days and change left. Kung fu powers, ho!
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Cain)
What makes things difficult is acquiring U-235, and then refining it into the right shape for an efficient bomb. 

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
You get to work on everything but the nuclear material, then just sit back and wait for Arethusa to score said material which, apparently, is pathetically easy to get your hands on.

hmm....
Cain
Tell you what, I'll be really generous.

I'll let BOTH of you work together to build your super kewl atomic bomb!

Where did I say anything about building one? All I said was that the physics are very easy. You do know that, right? I can't be sure, since one moment you seem to have grasped the concept; the next it slips away from you.

But then again, I do have the necessary parts. What I need to know is this-- can you hit one rock with another?

Basically, once I have the uranium, all I need is a trained monkey to bang the rocks together. I assume you're capable of the task?

QUOTE ("Zazen")
I know, I was responding to the idea that Arethusa (or anyone else on this thread) could actually make a working bomb in the real world.

I see your point; but my point is, the physics of making a fission bomb are pathetically easy. Making a big, powerful one that can go boom and knock out a city is a different matter; but that's just refinement.

To be completely fair, though-- apparently, if you're really good at it, you can make a fission bomb from as little as 15kg of U-235. Of course, I don't think anyone here is that good. The trick isn't in building the bomb, it's in making it powerful.

I'm not claiming to be able to build a big powerful one; but I bet I can get two lumps of subcritical uranium to go "pop!"
A Clockwork Lime
Try reading back more than one or two posts.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ May 23 2004, 01:09 AM)
Again, the month figure is not one I'd reliably stand by, as the time it takes to potentially score that kind of material is going to vary wildly depending on whom you know and how much you're willing to spend and risk.  With the right connections, I wouldn't call a month impossible.

Well, you said you could do this. That's why I'm replying at all, because that notion is utterly absurd.

So is it safe to say that you've given up this claim? That's all I really have a problem with.

But that's not to say it can't be done. And you don't need 8 tons. That's going just a little far.

I said 4 tons. And really, how far do you think that's going? That's only 50 pounds of fuel, less than what they used in Hiroshima (which wasn't much!) nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Cain)
I never claimed to be able to lay hands on enough uranium, despite the fact that ACL is apparently ignoring the parts of my posts that prove him wrong-- namely, all of them.

I know, I was responding to the idea that Arethusa (or anyone else on this thread) could actually make a working bomb in the real world. It's also what ACL is responding to, in his own lovable way.

I know I said I was going to drop this thread, but just to put a final lid on this: yes, the month figure was partially hyperbolic and not intended to be taken as a serious besmirching of your mother's honor, despite what Lime seems to be ever so intent on. I will say that within a month, it is potentially possible to obtain enough (relatively— we're not talkinga bout crude ore here) raw material to refine an exceedingly crude and probably fairly ineffective weapon, all while assuredly giving yourself about one month left to live. Could I personally do this in a month? Well, that's a matter of much debate. I wouldn't bet on me, but for the love of god, do kindly forgive me for using figurative speech.

Basically, Cain's about got the right idea: building the bomb is exceedingly easy. Getting the material is not impossible, depending on equal parts connectiosn, luck, and disregard for your own life. Getting it all together in a bomb is more difficult. Getting it all together in a bomb that will not be exceptionally crude to the point of being tactically useless while inviting incredible risk, loss of life, and loss of resources? That's something else. Pathetically easy? Well, I never said that, but Lime's in one of his lovalbe little tantrums again and there's no stopping that.

I think I've about had enough of this thread.
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Could I personally do this in a month? Well, that's a matter of much debate. I wouldn't bet on me...

That's a pretty half-assed retraction, but it's too late to be picky. Thanks smile.gif
Arethusa
Oh, come on, lighten up. It was figurative from the beginning.
Cain
So what have we learned?

That designing and building a fission bomb is very easy. However, getting ahold of the uranium, and handling it safely, and making it so it makes more than a loud "pop!" is difficult. That no one can take your mojo. cool.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)
So what have we learned?

That "figurative" can be a synonym for bullshit wink.gif
JaronK
Um, by the way, a dirty bomb is not an atomic bomb. It's just, well, taking something nasty (usually something non-biological or fragile... uranium works, or heck even lead would work), powdering or liquifying it, and shooting it up into the air with a big boom. Given the appropriate nasty thingy and some TNT anyone could make one... just powder the nasty thingy ™, throw a bunch of TNT in a paper bag, put the nasty thingy ™ on top, light, and run like hell, preferably placing it on top of a windy building or something. There you go, instant dirty bomb.

By the way, using my girlfriend as a source (university level physics), it seems it's pretty easy if you have lab access to score a roughly 1 inch cube of uranium... she says they've got a few stored away behind locked cabinets, but if you came in there with a hatchet and some knowledge as to where they are, you could get them... of course, a few small cubes of the stuff won't exactly do much, but it could lead to significant annoyance for the clean up crews at least...

JaronK
Joker9125
Wow i just read all the way from page 4 and im astounded at cutter. I have said some pretty asinine things on these fourms but damn. I know some who have had conflicting views with me in the past will disagree with this but even I know when im beaten. And another thing I learned alot more about physics on this thread than I ever did in high school (that says alot about tennessee education huh silly.gif).
Joker9125
QUOTE (JaronK)
By the way, using my girlfriend as a source

I had heard that some of us shadowrun nerds actually had girlfriends but I never actually thought they existed. Whats you secret for attracting women? Talored pheramones? Or is it some kind or mind control spell? Does she know your a roleplayer? Or are you like me and you just keep it as you own dark secret flaw. smile.gif (yea this is just a joke)

EDIT: Why dont we all just lace our characteers bones with Munchkinanium? Its 20 times more indestructible than adamantium, adds 30 points of body impact and balistic, adds 20 to your magic rating (even makes mundanes awakened), gives you 10 additional essence, allows you to stack all reflex enhancing mods, makes it so you dont take drain, and also acts as a force 20 weapon focus.
JaronK
Some of us are clever enough to find hot geeky physics girls, and date them!

JaronK
Joker9125
notworthy.gif
Crusher Bob
And some of us are building radioactive bombs in our basements, history will say who was superior... rotfl.gif
Zazen
One word: Rohypnol
Cray74
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Besides, if I remember correctly most all cyberware power sources--except high-drain systems like eye lasers and the like--work by siphoning electrical energy off of the nervous system itself, .

SR Canon might imply that, but it doesn't mean the nervous system has any electrical energy to give.

Battletech pulled some fluff about "bioelectricity"-powered myomer implants in the "Lostech" book simply because the body produces squat for electricity.
CardboardArmor
Yeah, but it's the sort of statement about how they're powered that makes you smile your head and nod at the nifty sci-fi-ness of it all, Cray.

Even if it is a load of trash.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Joker9125)
I had heard that some of us shadowrun nerds actually had girlfriends but I never actually thought they existed. Whats you secret for attracting women? Talored pheramones? Or is it some kind or mind control spell? Does she know your a roleplayer? Or are you like me and you just keep it as you own dark secret flaw. smile.gif (yea this is just a joke)

My method involves dating girls who are also gamers. It's a lot more convenient when you don't have to explain why your Friday night Shadowrun game is more important than taking her out for dinner and a movie... because she's playing the shaman.
Kagetenshi
Or the combat decker.

~J
Diesel
Or the...damn.
Sahandrian
Or the hermetic mage (decker in the upcoming new campaign).
crone
or she's running it.
JavaLamp
Or she learned the game specifically because she's dating you... gotta love that. My girlfriend's awesome.

Very wierd thought came to mind on looking at this thread... (not meant to be a serious proposal in the slightest) Orichalcum lacing!

ok, now I'm done.

-JL
Joker9125
Its been discussed in legnth actually i dont think we ever came up with a real good use for it. Other than allowing you to enchant your bone lacing and make your bones a focus
Arethusa
And, considering the contents of Orichalcum, chances are you don't want that shit inside you.
JaronK
Yeah, the gold would be fine, but the mercury? Ugh.

Then again, I could buy someone saying that it's magic, so the mercury just doesn't get out. Still... I don't like it!

JaronK
Herald of Verjigorm
IIRC, the dental filling material (silvery kind) had mercury as one of the ingredients. I don't remember how reliable of a source I heard that from.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ May 24 2004, 09:31 AM)
IIRC, the dental filling material (silvery kind) had mercury as one of the ingredients.  I don't remember how reliable of a source I heard that from.

Still has Mercury in it. Around 50% of it the filling is Mercury.

Better article.
GreatChicken
Yes, the newer kind. It's called 'amalgam filling' and the doctors see it as a 'cheaper', 'cleaner', 'more durable' alternative to fillings like gold. It's part of a conspiracy theory, the gist of which is that trace mercury elements from the 'alloy' may be able to leech into the bloodstream, causing a slow poisoning of sorts, and this is conveniently being covered up by the American Medical Association.

And the moral of the story is: TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH. sleepy.gif
Frag-o Delux
A theory that has lawyers in line around the court house fileing suits over.

EDIT:

And the moral of the story is: TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH. 

Or get a better dental plan. smile.gif
Nikoli
A few of us SR players are married.

Though she's no gamer. I invite her every weekend, but she always has somethign to do. (not that she goes when she doesn't have something to do).

And I met her in a chat room =-)
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
Yes, the newer kind. It's called 'amalgam filling' and the doctors see it as a 'cheaper', 'cleaner', 'more durable' alternative to fillings like gold. It's part of a conspiracy theory, the gist of which is that trace mercury elements from the 'alloy' may be able to leech into the bloodstream, causing a slow poisoning of sorts, and this is conveniently being covered up by the American Medical Association.

It's not necessarily a conspiracy or anything. First off, noone knew mercury was toxic until about twenty or thirty years ago. Until then it was common practice for high school science teachers to stick their hands in vats of mercury to show their students how a mercury barometer works, for instance.

It's not like mercury is the only thing we still use regularly that we know is unhealthy. Crisco (partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil) has been on the market for eighty years, and is still being used in potato chips today. However, scientists have known for years already that trans-fatty acids like Crisco are 1) cargenogenic, 2) indigestable by the body, and 3) a possible root cause of the high incidence of heart attacks in this country. There is also speculation and some small evidence that the some of the highly toxic chemicals that are used in the harvesting of cotton sometimes leech their way into the Crisco, causing severe chronic health problems.

My point is, science is constantly figuring things out, and what's "healthy" will change from year to year. I mean, hell, a hundred years ago people thought heroin was good for you! There is not always some massive conspiracy at the bottom of it; it's just how science works. We didn't know something before, and because of it did something stupid. We know better now.
Nikoli
Doctors 50 years ago would prescribe cigarettes for jittery nerves.
Zazen
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ May 24 2004, 11:34 AM)
I mean, hell, a hundred years ago people thought heroin was good for you!

Yeah, things were a lot more fun back then.

ed- Although now that I think about it, I've known people who still think it's good for them wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Heroin is actually a brand name, though I don't remember for which company.

~J
Zazen
Not anymore. It was Bayers.
Nikoli
lol, imagine the comercials today:

"Got that pepped up feeling?
Tired of your dead end job, but can't find a good reason to flush it down the tubes, try Heroin © fromthe makers of Bayer. Now with Fuqitol©, a new non-caring ingredient found in hospital pain clinics everywhere."
Caine Hazen
I must just say this has become the most unfocused thread ever, anywhere.... that's sooooo rules...!!!

As a side note for convention girly trollers...comic conventions have better looking con-goers, but the gaming industry hires better booth babes!!

Oh and I have a bottle [empty] of Bayers herion at home that I found on an archaeology dig!!
Nikoli
that's awesome.
Frag-o Delux
Doctors (sometimes non-doctors sold this service) use to "message" women and sell them "aides" for Hysteria. Use some imagination for that sentence, didn't want to get to graphic.
Arethusa
Yes, it's an old story. During the sexually repressed 19th century, many women were diagnosed with hysteria. Presumably, in modern terms, they were just horny. Doctors gave them 'massages' and prescribed 'massagers,' none of which, ironically, was viewed as sexual. In any case, the practice eventually died out, and that's where we get the modern usage of hysterical from.

Etymology ninja, away!
Joker9125
Since this thread has completely lost all form of a topic do any of you physicits or people with hot geeky physicist girlfriends know of the best material to block magnetism?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012