Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What stats would you give depleted uranium lacing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
cutter07
...then titanium. Probably no balistic and some impact, and a bigger thump when unarmed.
Austere Emancipator
Bad idea. Really bad. The method of inserting the stuff into your body might release quite a bit of radiation. If it breaks at all, which it probably does within a body even without getting shot, the tiny particles in your blood flow will continuously radiate you. I'm pretty sure it radiates tiny amounts regardless, which is quite likely to lead to serious health problems.

Plus it's a heavy metal. You could get uranium poisoning, like you can get lead or mercury poisoning.

I'm not sure whether tungsten would work better. That might just be an overall "better" version of Titanium Bone Lacing, since it's harder and heavier than titanium. Should also have an increased Essence rating, though. And if tungsten in your body is a health risk, you can forget about that one as well.
Arethusa
Yeah, I second that. This is just an awful idea. If the low levels of radiation don't get you, the heavy metal poisoning will. You might as well suggest arsenic bone lacing while you're at it. As for tungsten, I'd be concerned about potential blood poisoning and leukemia, though some research suggests it's either inert or fairly inert. Other research suggests that it can kill you. Nothing conclusive so far.

Me, I just want some molybdenum bone lacing. Oh yeah.
otomik
depleted uranium is not so strong as it is heavy. also when it comes to an impact there is a large incendiary effect. so imagine some bullet hitting your bone and causing you to burst into flame rather than just break your bone.
Arethusa
It is incindiary with high friction, but I doubt small arms fire is enough to cause it to ignite, and moreso if it's had to travel through flesh to get there. Still, even if it doesn't burn you alive from the inside out, I'm pretty sure the cancer and blood poisoning and bone deformation are enough to make this one bad fucking idea.
Traks
You can turn into cyberzombie and then use depleted uranium lacing.
No worries about blood poisoning and stuff. Maybe just higher chance to die of cancer?

Note - most probably no PC can play cyberzombie good enough. With all those collapsing memories, replay and other things.
Zazen
I think it's an awesome idea. There's already 'ware that turns you into a vegetable within a year or two, why not one that gives you heavy metal poisoning?

If you've already got Lead Bone Lacing, you may as well upgrade wink.gif
Joker9125
hey that would go great with the borrowed time edge. Although payingoff the edge would have to remove the lacing
Domino
Cutter I suggest you try it and get back to us. ohplease.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (cutter07)
...then titanium. Probably no balistic and some impact, and a bigger thump when unarmed.

The other posters have pretty much summed up the risks. DU is weakly radioactive (it's hard to find a less radioactive isotope than U-238, but in the body...) and it's about as toxic as lead.

It's also not particularly strong or tough. It does have the advantage of density so, as you said, there wouldn't be much in the way of armor bonuses. What you might get is a really expensive form of a club built into your body with your now-heavier bones.

I'd recommend just using a club or titanium bonelacing.
Traks
On the other hand, bones from Orichalcum (not looking at cost)...
Cray74
QUOTE (Traks)
On the other hand, bones from Orichalcum (not looking at cost)...

Now that would be interesting, just to make a "Level Boss" NPC opponent for one of the magically oriented nations, like the Tirs.
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, each bone as a seperate foci. Try and seperate this guy from his magic augmentation!
Pthgar
Do you think you could di-kote the orichalcum before it was implanted? biggrin.gif
sidartha
I say skip the time-consuming cancer and blood poisoning and just skip straight to the Francium lacing extinguish.gif
It's a pun, ask someone who knows their chemistry proof.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Cray74)
It's also not particularly strong or tough. It does have the advantage of density so, as you said, there wouldn't be much in the way of armor bonuses. What you might get is a really expensive form of a club built into your body with your now-heavier bones.

I'd recommend just using a club or titanium bonelacing.

Or get it and have the troll or giant character use you as a club. Canon Companion has some stats for using metahuman bodies as a weapon.... wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (sidartha)
just skip straight to the Francium lacing extinguish.gif

Why? Cesium works well enough and actually retains it's element type long enough to react. Francium tends to decay before it can react with anything.
CardboardArmor
True, but isn't cesium liquid at room temperature? Is that suitable for lacing?
JaronK
Pretty sure it's solid at room temp... until it hits water, of course.

DU bones would be only somewhat harmful do to radiation, but the poisoning effect would be a killer... literally.

JaronK
BGMFH
Well, back in my day we had Magnesium+Potassium bone lacing in our diving characters. We called them "newbies."
Cray74
QUOTE (JaronK)
DU bones would be only somewhat harmful do to radiation, but the poisoning effect would be a killer... literally.

Eventually, after several years or more. How fast is lead poisoning?
Fahr
it's not so much the dead part of lead poisoning that would take you out pretty fast, it's the Crazy silly.gif part... then the dead part.

-Mike R.
KillaJ
*Idle Speculation*
Under normal circumstances (lead pipes, lead based paint etc.)I dont think that it would be an exceptionally quick death, but think of how much of your body would be in contact with the lead/DU bones. Im no doctor but I think virtually all of your major organs would be in contact with this stuff. That cant be healthy.
JaronK
The radiation would just cause cancer. That much lead in your system would cause almost instant shock... the person in question would be dead within a day I'd guess. If it were somehow made to leak slowly, instead, they might last up to a month or so. Meanwhile, they would become rapidly retarded, suffering massive brain damage. Also, DU is heavy, but not strong, so it would encumber the hell out of them for little benifit. If I were making game rules for it, I'd go with

-5 essence, +60kg weight, +1 Body, Same damage dealt as titanium, roll a d6 each day, on a 1 you're dead.

JaronK
Ecclesiastes
Ok, so stuff like DU or Lead don't work, but are there any other materials that anyone has played around with for Bone Lacing?
JaronK
Ceramic Bone Lacing seems pretty obvious as a choice. Titanium/Rubidium Alloy Lacing would be stronger than titanium, but heavier. Some sort of advanced Polymer Lacing would pass MAD scanners and provide extream resistance to breakage, plus very little weight, but probably wouldn't increase damage at all.

JaronK
Cray74
QUOTE (JaronK @ May 19 2004, 08:10 PM)
Ceramic Bone Lacing seems pretty obvious as a choice.  Titanium/Rubidium Alloy Lacing would be stronger than titanium, but heavier.  Some sort of advanced Polymer Lacing would pass MAD scanners and provide extream resistance to breakage, plus very little weight, but probably wouldn't increase damage at all.

Are you sure you mean Rubidium?

*Rb by itself isn't very dense, it's 1/3 the density of titanium at ~1.5g/cc. If anything, adding Rb to titanium would lower the weight of the bonelacing.
*Rb is a hideously reactive alkaline metal. In contact with water, it behaves much like sodium: it energetically releases hydrogen from the water, and the heat of the reaction tends to ignite the hydrogen.
*Rb melts at 40C, or right about at body temperature.
*Rb is cheese soft by itself.

Now, if Rubidium is alloyed with Titanium rather than, say, a separate lacing metal, that's another matter. The chemical and mechanical behaviors will be different. But I don't see a Rb/Ti alloy listed in my Metal's Handbook. In fact, Rb's only appearance there is in the beginning, in a discussion of basic elemental properties.

So...where's this Rb/Ti alloy come from?

QUOTE (BGMFH)
Well, back in my day we had Magnesium+Potassium bone lacing in our diving characters. We called them "newbies."

Magnesium, potassium and a moist (metahuman body) environment sounds like a recipe for some fireworks on the operating table. smile.gif

Regarding alternate Bonelacing:
*The new variants in Man & Machine pretty much covered by interests, and actually added some lacing (Kevlar, IIRC) that left me underwhelmed. I always figured plastic bonelacing did use high strength polymers like Kevlar to begin with. Ceramic looked interesting for its ability to blend in with bone (to the eyes of scanners), but when SOTA's "Calcitonin" came along, that was really what I was looking for.
JaronK
I brought it up because as I recall, Titanium Rubidium alloy steel is a far stronger form of steel. From chemistry class, I believe that adding more rubidium to the mix raises the hardness, but also the brittleness of the metal, and makes it harder to work with. The weight thing was just a guess because I knew titanium was very light weight (comparitively)... I don't actually know that Rubidum Titanium alloy is heavier.

It's been a long time since chemistry class, though.
Nikoli
Funny thing is, our bones do already contain magnesium and potassium, and many folks ingest it on a daily basis, bannanas anyone?
Traks
There was some major breakthrough about making metal harder than diamond.
At least there was such information in few places, but maybe they decided that it costs too much to use widely. It was such a long time ago that I do not remember any more details.
kevyn668
So, why not Dikoted Titanium (or aluminum)? Could you apply the Dikote before the surgery and then slap it in?
JaronK
I remember that. Basically, the metal was alligned so that all the molecules faced in one direction... or something like that. The end result was that the metal was far far stronger, though they had a tough time doing it to anything much larger than a penny. Side effects included transperency in some metals (I think copper did that?) and a few other unusual characteristics. I believe they did that about 4 or 5 years ago, maybe more.

If you laced with that, you'd be far far stronger... but the cost would be astronomical. I could see rules for a spur made like that, probably with bonuses greater than that of a Dikoted spur, but of course you couldn't put the Dikote process over the top of it (since it would actually make it worse, like coating titanium with copper).

JaronK
kevyn668
I don't know anything about chemistry and less about metallurgy. I was just tossing ideas out there.... smile.gif
JaronK
Well, I'm asuming here that Bone Lacing means integrating the material into the bone itself. Therefor, there's really not a surface to Dikote. Maybe you could Dikote the bones themselves, but bones need to be porus to allow blood to get through them, so that wouldn't work either.

JaronK
Arethusa
Wouldn't aligning all the molecules also create a noticable magnetic effect?

In any case, you can't dikote bone lacing because installing bone lacing is not a process of scopping out your favorite internal organs, pulling out your bones, coating them, and putting you all back together. Only sane way to do it is with nanites and a reservoir of raw material. I guess you could conceivably diamond lace your bones, however, using about the same process.
JaronK
Magnetic Effects would be under the category of "other unusual characteristics." I'm not sure what kind of effect they'd have... possibly a huge personal magnetic field that would cause all MAD scanners within a 12 mile radius to go off, or possibly none at all... it would depend on the metal (from what I remember, the effects were very different on different metals... I can't remember which metal did what though). It would be up to an idividual DM to make up what happened with this process with different metals... could be a lot of fun to come up with ideas, I should imagine. Remember, however, that the process is very difficult in larger objects, and that it's hard to shape the metals finely. Might make a really neat knife though.

Remembering more of the process, I believe the theory behind it was that metal is essencially made of crystal-like chunks, which are very small. They used intense preasure to crush those chunks into even smaller molecule sized bits, then allign all those bits with intense magnetic fields or something along those lines. I'm not sure why that makes it stronger, but evidently it does. Some things turned transperant, some became strangely flexible, some even gained object memory (bend them a little, they bend back to how they were). All became very difficult to break and most became very hard to move at all. We're talking increased stress resistance by a factor of 50 or more... you can imagine how fun that would be to try and shape into anything useful. The process required huge roomsized machines just to work with penny-sized objects... but of course in the future you could assume that advancing technology made the process cheaper, and capable of being used on larger things.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I know they now have materials that have very good object memory (there was some satelite idea where they'd shape the satelite out of this stuff, crush it flat, launch it, then let it out of the box and it would return to satelite shape and start operating). That might be fun to lace with... maybe it would follow the rules for plastic lacing, but it would set off MAD scanners, and would increase your healing rate from any serious or worse wounds because your bones would set themselves automatically.

Well, it's a thought, anyway.

JaronK
Cray74
QUOTE (Traks)
There was some major breakthrough about making metal harder than diamond.

Osmium has, under compression, demonstrated higher strength than diamond. Osmium's another one of those "not in my body" metals.

[edit]Correction: Osmium is stiffer ("higher bulk modulus") than diamond under compression. It's not necessarily stronger.

I brought it up because as I recall, Titanium Rubidium alloy steel is a far stronger form of steel.

Ah, well, now mentioning it was steel makes a difference. Well, actually, not much, because I'm still not familiar with the use of rubidium as a steel alloying agent, but I can comment on the potential of "titanium steels" as bonelacing. (They'll rust, but they'll be stronger than titanium bonelacing.)

I remember that. Basically, the metal was alligned so that all the molecules faced in one direction... or something like that. The end result was that the metal was far far stronger, though they had a tough time doing it to anything much larger than a penny.

Controlled alignment of crystals in a metal can certainly be useful, but aligned crystal metals shouldn't be dramatically harder, not more than a factor of 2-3 times stronger/harder/etc than metals with random grain orientations. Do you have a link to this aligned metal topic?

I could see rules for a spur made like that, probably with bonuses greater than that of a Dikoted spur

Actually, while Dikoting captures the essence of what diamond coatings would do (sharper, harder, etc.), it exaggerates them. Improved metals are not going to outperform the exaggerated form of diamond you see in Dikoting; Dikoting is already better than real diamond.
Cray74
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Wouldn't aligning all the molecules also create a noticable magnetic effect?

Depends entirely on the molecule and elements involved. You need spin-aligned electrons for a magnetic field, which is truly getting into quantum physics.

Remembering more of the process, I believe the theory behind it was that metal is essencially made of crystal-like chunks, which are very small. They used intense preasure to crush those chunks into even smaller molecule sized bits, then allign all those bits with intense magnetic fields or something along those lines. I'm not sure why that makes it stronger, but evidently it does. Some things turned transperant, some became strangely flexible, some even gained object memory

Ah, nanocrystals. Okay. I know what you're talking about. Yes, there's a gain in strength and hardness and whatnot, but it's not dramatic (2-3 fold usually), and anything that remains conductive in that form will not be transparent. Nanocrystalline metals can usually tolerate high strains (change in size), sometimes until they can stretch like taffy without breaking, but they won't recover their original shape if you stretch them beyond more than a few percent of their original size.

Yeah...the benefit of nanocrystalline materials stem from the enormous amount of dislocations in the structure (tiny grains means there's a lot of grains; a lot of grains means a lot of grain boundries; grain boundries = dislocations that inhibit the movement of atoms when the object is stressed), to the point the material is nearly amorphous (glassy).

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I know they now have materials that have very good object memory

Nickel-Titanium alloys (the champs of shape memory alloys) can alter their length by up to 8% (though the length change should be kept below 6% to avoid ruining the effect). That's useful in some applications (like straightening out crumpled antennas) but I'm not sure it's "very good." Or perhaps it's very good, but not very dramatic. I did design a nifty peristaltic pump using NiTi alloy wires for a smart materials course but, again, that wasn't dramatic.
JaronK
I seem to remember it was a much more dramatic strength increase than 2-3 times... but again, this is working from distant memory. I think I read it originally in Discovery or... I think it was Science News? It would have been at least 5 years ago, come to think of it. I wouldn't know where to find it exactly, I just remember them talking about penny-sized copper being really funky, and lots of stuff with preasure and crushing things into really small bits. Anyway, assuming future tech gets better, we can assume the process gets more interesting, so the GM could have a lot of fun with rules for such technology.

I think the best bet, though, would be some advanced Ceramic lacing. It would be lightweight and strong, and it wouldn't set off MADs.

JaronK
Fygg Nuuton
-4 intelligence to any runner who asks about it smile.gif
cutter07
I love how people get hot headed over what is "dangerous" in a make-believe game where you can take a panther cannon in the face and live. rotfl.gif

Depleted uranium is depleted of radiation, hence the name. It can hold a very small amount but less then your TV/CRT gives off. Even then it could be shielded.

While you armchair radiologists are at it figure out you can ceramic lacing put on your bones considering its neither flexiable and requires intese heat from a kiln to make.
A Clockwork Lime
Depleted uranium is depleted of radiation, hence the name.

Uhm, no.

It's called depleted uranium because it's composed mostly of a non-fissionable isotope. It's very much radioactive, just not heavily so, and has a half-life of something in the five billion years figure if memory serves. Definitely a lot more than a CRT gives off.
cutter07
Lime I hate to inform you your a victum of urban myth.

M1A1 tank rounds as well as some artillery use depleted uranium shells with no protection gear. Yes a small percentage of Gulf War GIs have been affected (ie Gulfwar syndrome) but its been tested as safe for unprotected handling (ie bear hands).

If you don't want it in your game, fine. I didn't ask if you would allow it, only what stats it would have. Don't make shit up to excuse it.

As for its properties its about as hard as straight iron. Sorta brittle but heavy, more so then even gold/plat/lead. Getting hit by someone laced with it should hurt.
Kanada Ten
Cutter, why don't you do some reasearch before claiming something?

National Radiological Protection Board
The radiation dose-rate to the skin, which comes mainly from the beta particles, can be up to 2.5 millisieverts (mSv) per hour, if a lump of DU were held in the hand. It is easily reduced by wearing gloves, or if the DU is encased in some other material. Furthermore, skin is relatively insensitive to radiation, so that even continuous contact (keeping a piece in a pocket or wearing it as jewellery) is unlikely to produce a radiation burn or other short-term effect. Such effects require doses of a few thousand millisieverts, delivered over a short time, but at 2.5 mSv per hour, the DU would need to be in contact for months to give such doses. There would, however, be expected to be a small increase in the risk of skin cancer.

Panzergeist
Here's the stats I would give depleted Uranium lacing: Every day, roll body, TN of 12, do not use the rule of six. If you fail, you die, because Uranium is a heavy metal, like lead, which makes it highly toxic. Oh, and the constant low-level radiation would give you cancer. Oh, and if anything hit it at high velocity, such as a bullet, depleted Uranium vaporizes, ensuring that it would be absorbed into your body and poison you to death.
Kanada Ten
While you armchair radiologists are at it figure out you can ceramic lacing put on your bones considering its neither flexiable and requires intese heat from a kiln to make.

Simple. Take a CAT scan of the bones and create a mold from that. Have the Ceramic plates made in two pieces (a male and female). Then use a bonding agent once installed in the body.
Arethusa
Uh, cutter, are you aware that U238 is not the only thing that makes up depleted uranium? DU may be primarily U238, but it's only depleted to a point of economic infeasiblity. It may be useless in a reactor, but it's still got plenty of radioactive isotopes (like, say, U235) hanging around to be an issue. The reason no one cares about it being used in tank rounds is that getting hit with one tends to give you more immediate problems than cancer. The blood poisoning, the guaranteed cancer, the fact that it's heavy enough to warp your bone structure, the fact that it is pyrotechnically ignitable, the fact that it is not terribly strong anyway, and the fact that it is stupid are pretty much enough to make it one very solid bad fucking idea.

Also, Cray, I'm aware that not all metals have the right electron configurations for magnetism. Just seems like it'd be a common issue in a lot of metals that you would see for the types of uses that were proposed. Sorry that wasn't clear.
JaronK
Cutter, while the radioactivity of DU is not as bad as many people think, the reason it's reasonably safe to handle is that your skin can absorb a great deal of radiation, enough that DU isn't such a problem in that way. However, if it were inside your body, the radiation would easily be leathal.

But as I said earlier in this thread, it's not the radiation that would kill you... that would take too long. It's the toxic effects that would do it, and very quickly too, because DU behaves much like lead in your body. The problem with DU rounds in the ground in many countries is not the radiation (you'll take some damage from that, but it's not much worse than many other souces), but rather that powdered DU can be breathed in, and it will kill you from inside your lungs.

Anyway, DU being placed inside the human body would easily be leathal, though it is worth noting that a radio placed in your head would likely have similar effects (hell, a cell phone next to your head has a high rate of cancer causing... imagine one that's always on and inside your head!).

As for ceramic lacing... I don't know how you'd do it. That's the Science Fiction part... I'm not even sure how you'd get any of the other materials into someone's bones without killing them. However, assuming you could somehow get it into their body, it would be pretty decent. It would be very strong, light weight, and non-magnetic. If I were GMing and I wanted an very advanced material that was being used in an experiemental new bone lacing process, I'd probably say it was an advanced ceramic bone lacing. Unlike others involved in this thread, I'm not actually a materials engineer (computer scientist, actor, and theatrical technician, actually), but I have a bit of scientific background, and it's enough to make a half decent guess.

JaronK
cutter07
Uh, cutter, are you aware that U238 is not the only thing that makes up depleted uranium? DU may be primarily U238, but it's only depleted to a point of economic infeasiblity
Economic for a single fire out of a tank bore. Economic for cyberware grade is another thing. Its all about refinement. You wouldn't trust homemade Penicillin or single pass distilled alcohol either ( I hope). But whatever. People will talk out of thier asses all day about subjects they don't know without taking the time to read.

JasonX has a good point on the lead poisoning but exposure to the enviroment without protection. Not saying its the best idea biologically but with proper seals and shielding you could put a VX gas ballon with active uranium pellets in a lead casing right in someones skull. If you can explain why you can't but how a cortex bomb isn't trigger by bio-electrial brain activeity you take the cake.
Kanada Ten
Wouldn't the lead casing kill the person? Sure, it would protect against radiation, but not lead poisoning. The cortex bomb is made with high resistance trigger requiring double the body's normal charge (thus requiring a simple capacitor to detonate). Don't get struck by lightning though.

People will talk out of thier asses all day about subjects they don't know without taking the time to read.

Weird, I was thinking the same thing...
JasonX
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012